American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 3rd, 2009

We Listen!

Here’s your daily recap of the best feedback we got from YOU on the blog, Facebook, Twitter, Email. Continue the conversation below. And remember, keep it brief, and keep it clean. Thanks!

With President Obama’s French Town Hall live this morning, American Morning viewers shared their opinions on Mr. Obama’s first two months in office. The majority passionately approved of the President’s performance, especially with international leaders:

• Elizabeth: “For too many years we were thought of as ugly Americans. I think President Obama gives a new face. A face of the every day American. It's been a great trip. I thing that it would be very arrogant of us to think that we would get every thing that we wanted. But what we did get was even more important. More respect in the world.”
  • AJS: Excellent job by Obama. I am very proud of him as our President.
  • Leo: Obama is right; we need to understand that we are in a new era and America and the European have to get together and put the past behind us but don't forget where we are trying to go. We need to get America and the rest of our world back on track. We need peace and partnership people.

A minority expressed serious doubts about the president’s direction for the country:

• Kay: For the first time in my 60 years I am NOT PROUD of my country and scared to death that the 'death of America" is imminent.

What’s your opinion on how President Obama has performed in his first two months in office? What areas do you see need improvement? Tell us your thoughts.

CNN’s coverage of the G-20 Summit and the live Town Hall generated mixed reviews, with some absolutely ecstatic with our live coverage:

• Anonymous: “Please do NOT use my name. I think I died and went to heaven this morning; Carol Costello AND Christiane Amanpour AND LIVE, LIVE, LIVE intelligent coverage of Obama in France. No other station has LIVE coverage, or, if they do, they have the self-serving talking heads talking over the coverage. UGH! Bring Carol Costello back to the morning news, please! She is terrific - where has she been?”

Others were not so kind, claiming that CNN has lowered its editorial standards:

• Vernon: There was a short snippet this morning where Carol Costello commented that President Obama appeared to be groveling to the Saudi representatives at the G20 summit. You showed a still photo that could have had any (or no) context but you did not show the video only the still. What the heck are you guys doing? What kind of news organization shows a still photo and implicitly states that it shows that the President is groveling. You (and the viewing audience) have NO IDEA what the man was doing but you imply something. Where have the editorial standards gone with CNN? This kind of stunt is something that you would see in a National Enquirer not a national television news organization. My respect for CNN as a news organization is significantly lower this morning, as a result of this type of reporting.

Grade our coverage. Have we been performing to your standards? What did you dislike about the coverage? What areas would you have liked further reporting? Where can we improve? Share your thoughts with us.

Blog

• Lee – To Obama’s credit, he is trying. And thanks, France, for your gracious remembrance of America’s sacrifice in WW2. “Yes, America, we’ll hold your coat while you fight the terrorists—and oh, by the way, we’ll even accept one Gitmo prisoner!”
  • Patricia – President Obama and wife has shown grace…He sound stuffy ,she looks great!!! I am personialy feeling great having to watch this event
  • Dan – I hope the French President realizes how important it is not only to stop N Korea’s ambition in it’s ballistic missile test but also to put an end to the terrorists in Afghanistan and Pakistan!

Facebook

• Shelton Brown – CNN does the best job of reporting the news... When the first lady then just campaigning for the President said that for the first time in her adult life she was proud to be an American, some press reporters ran with that as if she the statement was anti American. She is beautiful and represents America like no other before her. I have to tell you that after watching the coverage for the past couple of days with the President and the first lady abroad. As an American of African decent, I to for the first time in my adult life am really proud to be an American. That sentiment only says that I am feeling a great sense of inclusion in the American process today more than ever. Keep up the great work CNN.
  • Robert Valente – Craig Unger on American Morning? What have you become, Fox News? My God, a new low. And Jaime Rubin just sitting there while Unger talks and Carol Costello giggles. That interview was appalling. Way below your normal standards.

Twitter

• Ardvarck01@amFIX The President is doing very well, in a country that has been basically anti-American since the 1960's
  • ChadLivengood@amFIX Why isn't Obama holding a town hall meeting in Detroit at the GM Ren Ctr. to explain his auto rescue plan, firing of the CEO?
  • bdresher@amFIX Watching CNN...seems that every story gets the label 'breaking news'. If everything is breaking news, then nothing is breaking news.
  • Media_Observer@amFIX Amanpour should be on AM more often, her sharpness is refreshing. She brings a seriousness to dialouge on foreign policy.
  • thePollitikat@amFIX excellent coverage!! I am impressed with the French President. His frankness and intelligence is refreshing and greatly appreciated

Filed under: We Listen
  1. VIKKI

Can someone please inform Karin Chetry the correct pronounciation of "Commandant of the Marine Corps" ? It is not command-dent!!!!!! This is the commanding general of the USMC and he, at the very least, deserves his title to be pronounced correctly!

April 6, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  2. Bill Clogston

I voted for Obama but I am concerned about something he did not start but mentioned on this tour and that is "New World Order."

I am descended from early Americans who fought in the American Revolution and I am concerned about the fatuous fawning over the queen. I understand the need of diplomacy with Gordon Brown but we fought to be rid of royalty, and I find this frightening.

Is the queen and her royal cousins spred across Europe going to be part of the "New World Order," It is possible that the young people today do not realize the havoc these royal families spread across Europe and indeed around the world.

Today's English citizens are leaving in droves because they no longer want to support the life style of the monarchy. Hollywood has been bending over backwards to present movie after movie glorifying royalty and now we have TV shows. Are we being softened up for a take over?

I feel the media does not realize the outrage they are causing many Americans with their fawning. They can, of course, always move to England.

Bill Clogston

April 6, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  3. Luz Helena Brzozowski

Today is a proud moment to be an American. President Obama's in his excellent speeches, his sincerity, his caring and his enthusiasm, makes all of us be part of his commitment to bring peace and prosperity to us and to the world. That is what has been missing for a long time in this country and the world.
    Thank you CNN for allowing me to listen to his majesty, not only today, but every time he feels we should know what is going on in his job as president.

April 6, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  4. rob/brooklyn/ny

Your BO live coverage in Turkey is a ground for Pulitzer nomination. I think it was his best speech without teleprompter yet!

April 6, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  5. Shirl

President Obama is great, bright, the first ray of hope I've had for eight years. He has no personal agenda, just America and its future. He has a major mess to clean up left by the last oilslick willies. I hope Republicans remember they were Americans first and give President Obama support and a chance to correct the damage done to our country.

April 6, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  6. stephen davis

obama is doing a wonderful job

April 6, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  7. Cindi

:President Obama is representing the United States in an intelligent, honorable way. I am impressed with his ability to see us as others in other ccuntries see us. He listens; he understands; and he respects other views. Yet he can move both us and them towards conciliation. This is what the world needs.

April 6, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  8. Roxsena Charise

President Obama is starting well. His strong suit is inspiring others. We cannot expect him to be a savior who will ride in and solve all the problems. "We The People" are it. If we as individuals can take responsibility and make things right within the boundaries of our own lives, the world would transform.

April 6, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  9. Gary Cranston

NO-NO Obama is not doing a fine job. He is selling out our country to the unions and Europe. Please no more slobbering over Mrs Obama! He needs to quit refferencing the last 8 years – remember we have not been attacked

April 6, 2009 at 8:00 am |
  10. dian

CNN needs to be careful of encouraging protests here in the US over bailouts. Let people make their own decision.
    Its shameful what you are trying to do.

April 6, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  11. dian

The Obamas are doing just fine!
    CNN needs to be careful of not encouraging protest here in the US over bailouts. We see what you are doing.

Obama is too popular. We trust his judgement.

April 6, 2009 at 6:55 am |
  12. Joan

The statements from those who are so outraged that Pres. Obama acknowledged that at times some Americans have been arrogant are so "arrogant". They just don't get it. Now "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast" are correctly called French fries and French toast. Now Europe should not be called "old" Europe or "new" Europe in critical terms. Pres. Obama also called on Europe to rethink their anti-Americanism and it sure looks from the outpouring of support and respect that he has received there that they are doing just that. To those who say he didn't get what he wanted from the talks, think again. He said he set the bar high and so he probably got exactly what he secretly hoped for. You never get everything you ask for. Had he set the bar low, he would have gotten even less. This administration knows exactly what it is doing. First class job!

April 6, 2009 at 6:47 am |
  13. justin vogel

Please read im a 27 year old man that comes from a a great fam. tell me what you think about this idea insted of giving $$ to GM why dont they give that $ to working famillys that have paid taxes for at lease 10 years. And make a law that they can only and I mean only spend it on new cars that are great for the world. So if you think about it the car company gets the $ back in there pocket and saves jobs not just save jobs but make jobs all over. It would make jobs even in auto part stores. And then allso the familly that gets the $ for the new car should even give one of there old cars back for scrap that would once again make more jobs but the best thing of all it helps out on polution. and Global Warming. and ya I no I cant spell.

April 5, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  14. MJ

I think President Obama and Mrs. Obama have done a terrific job representing the new United States administration in Eurpoe this week. Personable, professional, intelligent, knowledgeable, forthright, firm where needed, and most of all, human! It's a refreshing change...I am very proud of them! Way to go!

April 4, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  15. Jan

I agree with "anonymous" today about having Carol Costello back and of course Christine A. Both are great, but I do love Carol on the show. Maybe someone "important" will notice what energy and appeal she brings to the show. Also her professionalism really takes the stage!

April 3, 2009 at 6:15 pm |