Here’s your daily recap of the best feedback we got from YOU today. Continue the conversation below. And remember, keep it brief, and keep it clean. Thanks!
American Morning viewers had two schools of thought regarding President Obama’s “bow.” The majority believed the bow was a sign of respect and deference. A minority felt Mr. Obama was belittling the United States with this gesture.
- Dorigen: If the president bowed in Japan, no one would flinch. We are not used to having a president who knows how to show respect for other cultures. Finally we have someone who knows that working together is the only way to move the world forward. That "We're Number One!" mentality that has permeated our own culture is counterproductive. If we are to lead the world, we will have to make willing followers out of other countries. Showing respect and, at times, deference, will breed the good will that results in fostering much needed cooperation.
- Diane: It seems to me that Pres Obama did bow!!!! I am not surprised since he told the world prior that they are the stronger nations and not the US.
Was the president’s bow a sign of respect or an example of the United States’ downgrade from “superpower” status? Do you believe President Obama was incorrect in following this custom, as he is also a world leader, or did he respect the Saudi culture? Tell us what you think.
The Somali pirate story captured audience attention, especially the failed attempt by the captain to escape. Viewers were particularly frustrated and angry that the process was dragging on.
- John: The warship seems impotent to rescue the Captain hostage. They should have their marines eliminate the terrorists who are sitting ducks in the lifeboat! This is embarrassing. These pirate terrorists are cowards. They are scared to die. They are thieves and kidnappers. When they see the marines pointing their machine guns at them, they will be surrendering immediately for dear life. My goodness! What is the warship waiting for? This is the simplest rescue mission and they can't even do it!
Has the U.S. military been too slow in its response to the Somali pirate hostage incident? How would you handle this situation differently? Do you believe the U.S. should negotiate with the Somali pirates? Share your thoughts with us.
The White House Millionaires Club segment generated mostly praise for the White House staff:
- Avertuc2000: terribly unfair to talk about millionaires in the white House–they might be millionaires now, having worked up to it–but what about the billionaires in the Bush white House–notice you didn't mention them! The president was once so poor, he ate out of soup cans while going to school in NY–his mother struggled her whole life. Michelle's family worked hard on the south side of Chicago–her father went to work everyday with MS–terribly misleading piece of journalism!
Was CNN unjust for presenting this segment on the White House Millionaires’ Club? How do you feel about the viewer’s opinion that all these staff memebers made their money honestly and therefore deserve praise for their success? Do you believe, as some claim, that this can only be accomplished in a free market system? Do you believe it was unfair to examine the Obama White House without reviewing the Bush administration? Give us your opinion.
Finally, the immigration debated heated up, with viewers angry that the president’s policy would allow amnesty when so many are out of work, while illegals voiced their support for the chance to become citizens, work legally, and pay taxes.
- Alexis: My dad has been laid off for over two years in construction. I want to know how Pres. Obama is justifying wanting to give 20+ million illegals here amnesty (not counting their chain migration of another 10 million) since they took most of the construction jobs in the US. With the economy so bad, why are American citizens taking a back seat to those here illegally? They cost us more than they're worth. Last time I looked, there weren't any vultures flying over starving mexicans in mexio. We need to bring pressure on their host nations to take care of their own, not dump them on other countries to take care of. Pres. Obama, in his speeches, repeatedly promised to uphold the Constitution and our laws. He's breaking that promise and our laws if he gives anyone amnesty that is here illegally. Amnesty cannot twist and reverse that fact. Other Presidents deported... and we can't afford not to.
- Stefan: I'm one from 12mil.! We everybody working anyway! We not taken jobs from americans! Americans don't like work for 7 $/hr. Mostly you talking about maxicans [Mexicans}. Ok, I'm understand you afraid that other people from mexico will come to take other jobs! They need just legal status, to have SSN and work permit to work legaly. Who work legaly, will pay tax ! 12mil times at least 1000 on tax, is nice number for american economy. Then they will buy cars and houses...another busines in america! Now, they work anyway, don't paid tax, then will take money out of USA and ?? Or who will work for 7$/hr in landscaping in 100F or construction? But they will pay tax and gouverment will have control about everybody . Who don't pay, have address, go there and deport them. Just remain you, 12mil times at least 1000 every year!
Where do you stand on President Obama’s immigration policy? How do you feel about the two viewers’ statements? Is there a way for us to create common ground on such a topic? Let us know how you feel.