American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 14th, 2009

Biden puppy haunts breeder

CNN's Alina Cho reports on the backlash received by the breeder who sold Vice President Biden his puppy.

From CNN's Melissa Morgenweck

There was no need to ring a doorbell when we pulled up to the Wolf Den kennel in Chester county Pennsylvania. At least a dozen German Shepherds announced our arrival.

Linda Brown greeted us and introduced us to the pack including her favorite, 13 year old Hans. Most of the dogs in this section had once been breeders. Now she keeps them as her personal pets.

They are just one grouping of the approximately 80 adult dogs that she says live on her property. “German Shepherds look into the mirror of your soul. They are intelligent and protective and your animals for life.”

Brown told us that she had been up since 4am helping deliver a litter of puppies. “They like to give birth in the middle of the night when it’s quiet and still.”

As we toured the property Brown recalled the day last December when Vice President Biden came to pick out a dog. “He picked the puppies up and literally kissed them all over. And when he did finally select his puppy he just wouldn’t let him go.”

But Brown says she has paid a big price for the publicity. Soon after the visit she claims she received death threats from animal-rights groups. Dog wardens from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture also made multiple visits to inspect her kennels. (The state told one of our producers that inspections typically take place twice a year.)

Brown was cited for poor record keeping, dirty housekeeping and mistreating her dogs. Last month she was cleared of all citations. “It hurts the depth of your soul that they would even have the nerve to call me and tell me that I’m inhumane with my dogs. My dogs are treated better than most children are treated.”

Filed under: Controversy
  1. CP Connecticut

OK-so should we all stop having babies since there are so many unwanted children on this planet who are homeless, parentless and uncared for?

She breeds dogs....she's a reputable business person, and she is being being vilified and the haters are out because there are dogs that OTHER people didn't want...

Go figure...

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  2. Robert

If every bred dog = a death sentence for a stray elsewhere, does it follow that every bred baby = a death sentence for a starving child elsewhere?

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  3. Teena

It is very responsible when seed savers grow heirloom plants and i believe it is equally responsible when a person breeds dogs. It is a good thing to keep traits viable in our world and not let them become extinct. Much work has gone into selecting for certian traits that resonsible breeders encourage in their animals, and often there is a justifiable purpose for that trait. I will give you that most of us do not rely on dogs for our life, but the death of any species, or, in my opinion, variant of a species, is a potentially dangerous thing, and a bad precedent to set in any case. The joy of a poodle, the service of a shepherd, or the companionship of a mutt are equally to be valued. As with people, we should not hold the value of an animal to be based on breeding. At the same time, we should be thankful that all fruit is not a banana.

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  4. m harrison

While I hate puppy mills, an actual Reputable Breeder is not the cause of all the pets in need of adoption. The Biggest problem in this country is people not taking responsibility for their own pets. GET THEM SPAYED OR NEUTERED. I have pure breds as well as 5 dogs that were dropped off near my home. I feed and care for them all. We have an Animal Protection League in our area that offers low cost spay and neuter and they stay busy all the time. Offer to help someone less fortunate to get their animals fixed. Get off your high horse and put your money where your mouth is.

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  5. Sharon

What's wrong with dog breeding if it's done with love?? If people were responsible pet owners then there wouldn't be a need for dog shelters...people need to SMARTEN up and SPAY and NEUTERr their animals..yet, these people don't.. but they get to vote!! No wonder our last 8 years were hell on earth!! And then these Yahoos threaten the dog breeder and VPJoe Biden with death!!!! Probaby the same people who think they are "holier than thou" because they are anti abortion but they supported a president who killed over 4000 of our soldiers and thousands of iraqi civilians for his own greed!! Such Hypocrisy!!!

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  6. Maria

It does sound like a lot of dogs, however, depending on the size of this breeders property, it may not be many at all. I imagine someone as high profile as Mr. Biden would not purchase a puppy from a "puppy mill". As far as the animal rights groups go, my personal experience has been most of these people have too much time on their hands.

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  7. AP

Amnesty to all illegals? Well now, they'll all need a family pet.

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  8. Linda

We looked at the options noted by other posts and decided on a pure breed from a reputable breeder. There are difference between breeds and pound dogs. Rescue dogs are not always the best as they can come with bad habits, bad temperments and so on. I'm not saying that pure breeds don't have some of these problems, but that's usually because of irresponsible breeding practices just like mutts. I don't think breeding in it self is irresponsible. Rescue dogs are not for everyone and I'm glad I have a choice as should you. My choice to have a pure breed dog does not prevent anyone from rescue but please don't tell me the only choice I have is a rescue dog.

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  9. Barbara J. Thomson

For years I donated regularly to PETA. As time went on I was upset by some of their attempts to gain attention ie, nudity, etc. Instead I have donated to my local animal shelter. I visit there and see that they are keeping the animal clean, properly fed, etc. They are also a no kill shelter 😉

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  10. jt

PETA is a terrorist organization

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 pm |
  11. SaraG

How about you all keep your radical opinions to yourself. If you don't like the way we do things in this country – i.e. breed dogs and allow abortions – go live somewhere else!

April 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  12. Meg

People need to understand the breeds you are buying. Yes, a lab, pitbull or a retriever can be picked up low cost from a shelter, but the breed I love CANNOT. You hear me, it CANNOT. If it has been abused my breed of dog is ruined- they cannot be rehabilitated or integrated back into human society. Also, if you get a dog from the pound likely it has dermatoid sinus which the owner did not want to correct. this is a deadly debilitating condition that, unless caught early, has no cure. The breeder we got our dog from had 45 calls about our dog alone and refused them all, and one of the reasons we were chosen was because they could keep an eye on us! Real breeders are trying to share the breeds they love with people not make money!!

April 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  13. Chris

PETA people are way out of line on this issue. There is a difference between making a helpful suggestion and harrassing and dictating to others what to do. I have 2 beautiful collies that I adopted from a breeder after they were past their "breeding" years. They are the joy of my life. I often tell peope who admire my dogs to check out collie rescue sites or rescue sites online for other breeds of dogs. Many of these groups specialize in rescuing, caring for and adopting out pure breed dogs to good homes. Sometimes it is as simple as an owner passing away or going to a nursing home, somebody who has lost a job and had to give up their dog. There – PETA, see how simple that was? Suggestions are helpful. Heavy-handed dictatorial attitudes are not. They only convince people, including animal lovers who do care about this issue – to avoid your group and tactics like the plague.

April 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  14. danielle

I have lived with dogs since child hood. Right now my closest friend is a puppy I rescued from a high kill shelter down south. He has incredible character, is totally loyal and is one of the smartest dogs I have worked with. I can't imagine passing him up for a pure breed dog....I have him because he is a companion not because he looks good even though he is totally adorable in every way. I will never have another pet that is not a rescue.

April 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  15. Joe

Breeders are not the problem....it's the low life humans who don't take care of their pets. I have a cat I found as a stray that I have had for 13 years now. Shortly after I found her I ran into a little girl that said she "used" to be the owner. She and her family saw the cat making whoopee and figured she was pregnant and kicked her out the back door (in a snow covered December I might add). Cheaper to get rid of her than to spay her. I found my second cat who had been abandoned at a local gas station smelling like he had been dipped in a bucket of gas and took it home and gave it a good home. It appears that he was coming of age to begin spraying....again cheaper to ditch him than to neuter him. Neither cat is a pure breed. When is the last time you found a pure breed stray? People who purchase from breeders are committed to the animals and don't ditch them at the first sign of difficulty. I have known many people who have "tried" an animal out from a rescue, but after the animal crapped in the house they returned it...because they didn't consider that the animal does more than sit in one spot and look cute ...it needs attention. This is the level of commitment you can find from people taking animals from shelters as opposed to breeders. A person who spends $600 or more on a dog is not likely to abandon him, whereas a person spending $100 doesn't have much to lose. I don't mean for this to sound like it is all about money but what I am saying is the truth. Personally, I love my animals....my $1000 dog just had $7000 worth of knee replacements and he is worth every penny. By the way, I have 2 pure breed dogs...why, because this is America and I wanted pure breeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you really want to help, support spaying and neutering animals, but don't jump on the bandwagon of hating breeders ignorantly as they DO treat their animals better than many, many parents I have known treat their children.

April 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  16. Denis Guimond

One thing stand out of this debate. Purchase of a Dog at a breeder, kills a Dog at the shelter.

April 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  17. janne

I hate to say this, but when it comes to pets, I will never and I mean never get a dog from a shelter. One does not know the outcome of those pets. I prefer to get one that is from a good breed and will become a great friend at home. She is not spayed, however, well trained to walk without a leach around the neighborhood. I have done most of the training myself, however, the first part of the training I went to learn about the beginning obedience. This particular breed is the Sheltie and I will continue to get them from private breeders around the area. The next time she is heat, I will breed her for others to get.

April 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  18. corgibutt@cox.net

I think the majority of the public needs to do their research before they open their mouth. There is nothing wrong with getting a purebred dog. Why don't these animal rights group go after the real problem-puppy mills, petstores people who bring dying or infected animals across the borders or creating mutts (labordoodles, cockerpoos etc...)
    The majority of purebred breeders are responsible, breeding only once a year to carry on only the best of the best. I think before you act or say anything, go to a dog show, obedience, agility, rally or any dog event and talk to these dog owners. Again,I emphasize do your research before you take action.

April 14, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  19. Bobby

I currently own two pure breed dogs who are the love of my life. I can't imagine a day without them. I have been shopping around for a new addition to my family as I have the proper space and time. I felt that I was being responsible as I interviewed breeders extensively. However, after reading the post from 'Fitz from Texas' I have changed my position. With very little effort I found a local rescue organization which has the breed I am looking for and now I am going to adopt a dog who needs a good home. So, Fitz if you are reading this, thank you you made a difference.

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  20. GOPHater

Mike, glad I bothered you. Made my day. Again, as opposed to Biden, who "picked up the puppies and kissed them all over", our former VP Cheney would have shot them all in their pens and claimed he went dog hunting.

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  21. Howard

The dogs in the shelters are not the responsibility of the people who choose to buy a purebred animal. They're the responsibility of the people who owned them and discarded them like trash. People who pay a lot of money for purebreds rarely throw them away. If people want to reduce the number of dogs in shelters, press your legislators to do something about irresponsible dog owners (fat chance).

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  22. IB

The Obama Family was gifted their dog by Ted Kennedy, it is apparently the offspring off his dogs. And for the record, the Obamas did consider adopting a dog from a shelter. People do have a right to decide where they are going to get a pet from, I think it's ridiculous that there are so many folks up in arms over this. Are there not bigger, more far reaching issues to be concerned over these days?

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  23. Walt

Are the Republicans really all that dumb (dumb as George), that they didn't think that any of us would know that the Republicans are the ones behind all the harassment of this one kennel owner. I am quire sure that VP Biden would not have chosen this one kennel if it was not a good kennel that came well recommended.

Shame on the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture for yielding to the pressure of the Republican party.

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  24. Joe

I don't get pound dogd because I don't know how they will behave. When you buy a dog from a breeder you know the temperment, you know that it's been well taken care of, and for the most part you know it's history.

When you buy a mutt you just don't know what you are getting.

I have 5 friends who adopted dogs and 3 who got them from breeders (4 counting me).

Of the 5 adopted dogs 3 are great, but one was clearly abused before and pretty much just eats, sleeps, and poops. It has no personality. The other one is a submissive urinator and pees every single time anyone comes in the door regardless of who they are. It's absolutely horrible. The kid tries to train him, but he just won't stop peeing.

The 4 dogs that were purchased from breeders are all trained perfectly and their temperments match their breed characteristics.

Example- I wanted a dog that didn't park, would be good with kids, and would be friendly to everyone so I got a Siberian Husky. Tell me how I could get a dog exactly like that at the pound. Oh yeah- YOU CAN'T BE CERTAIN.

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  25. Kelly San

Breeders are not responsible for our over populated shelters. The previous owners of these great creatures are. Which one of you dropped your pet off to a shelter because it became inconvenient for you to keep it? Start looking into the mirror and stop blaming others.

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  26. Rhonda

HSUS FACTS:

75% of all owned dogs in America are already altered.
    87% of all owned cats in America are altered.
    There are 74.4 million owned dogs and around 83.3 million cats. That's roughly 150 million owned dogs and cats. Euthanised pets per year is arould 3 to 4 million...that's 2.6% which includes animals put down for health reasons, sick, injured, unsound temp, etc. 2.6% is hardly an emergency situation.

Reputable breeders are no more responsible for the dogs/cats in shelters than American children who don't clean their plate at dinner are responsible for the hungry children in Africa.

If you go to a book store and want to purchase the latest Twilight release and they are out, do you purchase Betty Crocker's cookbook instead? No, you go to another store and buy what you want.

Since 1998, PETA has killed over 20,000 animals. PETA/HSUS has a 97% kill rate in 2006 and a 96% kill rate in 2008. Meanwhile, HSUS does not financially support one shelter. Of the millions of dollars they raise every year, less than 4% go to actually helping animals. They must make their tax returns public. Check it out if you don't believe it. PETA/HSUS want to end animal breeding and ownership ..period.

I applaud the president and vice president for thoroughly researching dog breeds and selecting one from a reputable breeder. Dogs from reputable breeders do not end up in shelters. All buyers are under contract to return them to the breeder if at any point in the dog's life they no longer want or can keep the dog. Shelter populations are not the responsibility or by-product of responsible dog breeders. Most dogs in shelters are mutts. I don't know of any reputable breeder who breeds mutts.

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 pm |
  27. Diane

I get so tired of hearing the dishing of reputable breeders who try to preserve the health and purity of their breed of choice. I also get tired of hearing "adopt a pet" when there are obvious problems with that choice. Many of the dogs in shelters are there because they are so problematic they do not make "safe" pets for families with children or for inexperienced "I just love dogs" types of owners. Not all dogs are good or safe pets! Dogs who have not been correctly socialized or who have never had boundaries set for them are often biters. Most of the dogs in shelters come from owners who thought it would be cool to breed their dog to someone else's and have babies. I wish I had a nickle for every owner I've heard that just "had" to breed their dog so they could have babies of their own. Add to that the careless owners who do not spay or neuter and you have found the real source of all the strays. It has been my experience if people have to seek, research, and pay for a well bred animal they usually take good care of it. So be aware that while adopting an unwanted dog is laudable it does not come without attending problems! Good breeder programs should be supported and people should NEVER get a dog if they cannot afford to properly care for it and that means spay and neuter as well as shots, etc. Leave the breeders alone, keep your dogs leashed, fenced, spayed and neutered. Oh yeah, and put them through obedience training so if they should ever need another home they can fit in.

April 14, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  28. Sam Smith

You guys are nutcases! Can all those who bred their own children instead of adopting please identify yourselves with a nice red "Hello – I am a hypocrite!" badge. All those who don't like pets being put down in the shelters, but had no problem sending their neighbors sons and daughters to kill and die in Iraq, please put your "I support the troops" bumper sticker on your forehead. Is it a wonder that the American economy is such a mess? Looks good on you!

April 14, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  29. Teegan

No matter what, the government had no right to get in the way of that woman earning a living because of political and ethical bickering. Do they go after the shrimp farms who supply crustaceans to be boiled alive for their PETA or Democratic fundraisers? I think not! They're being foolish.

April 14, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  30. JK

For some reason, I find many of the responses rather comical. I don't hear a lot of calls to stop breeding your own children. You know there are a lot of children who need a good home out there. But that's a different discussion, I guess.

April 14, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  31. m.

Anna, you must think interracial relationships are wrong then, too.

April 14, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  32. D'Angelo

Dog breeders are not the death sentence to dogs in shelters. Dog breeders promote proper dog ownership, sell puppies with limited registration and educate/promote the health and welfare of dogs. Dog breeders are not responsible for irresponsible people who don't spay/neuter their muts and let them stroll the streets freely. Sending death threats is not the solution. Why don't PETA members adopt all shelter dogs rather than send death threats? People have the right to own a pure bred dog. I find it interesting that PETA members use such unethical tactics given that "ethical" is in their name...

April 14, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  33. Mickey

Nice to see the Peta phone tree is up and running as I see basically the same comments over and over and over. To them anyone who has ever intentionally had one dog impregnate another is guilty of rape. They want to close down any and all places that sell dogs, cats, or any animal and lock up the owners. They are extremists who will never be satisfied until they take away everyones choice on matters involving animals.

April 14, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  34. Confused reader

To Tom M – What does that even mean?!

April 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  35. Andy

Tom M,

By definition, a liberal is someone who puts money into the church collection plate without expectation, while a conservative is someone who would rather not, unless it has some financial payback.

Which are you?

April 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  36. Rick

Sorry if I am repeating, but I haven't seen this issue addressed. Many of the apparently anti-breeder faction on this thread use the following as the primary support for their position: There are a large number of unwanted dogs (and other pet animals) euthanized each year; dog breeders produce new puppies while the unwanted dogs are being euthanized; therefore, all breeding of dogs is immoral/indefensible/should be illegal/etc.

What kind of loony logic is that?!?!? I sincerely hope that those same people have voluntarily sterilized themselves, because by the very same logic, no person should conceive/deliver a baby until every baby born to parents who don't want it is adopted. I would very much like to meet "activists" who back up their rhetoric so admirably...I would listen to them!

Failing that, I suggest that all the good folks who enjoy spouting off about what everyone else should do, should keep a few things in mind:

1) The social and government system that allows such ugly things as unwanted, euthanized pets (and children!), is the very same system that guarantees everyone's right to say and do what they wish, within the boundaries of the law. That goes for the activists spouting their kooky rants, every bit as much as it does for a person to decide what kind of dog they want, and from whom to get it.

2) There are a number of examples in history where people screwed with (1)...Nazi Germany comes to mind, as does Imperial Japan and Communist USSR. For that matter, so do Colonial France, Spain and England. Modern examples still exist...the Iran of the Ayatollahs, the lovely Taliban, Iraq under Saddam, etc. I would have limitless admiration for any "activist" who chooses to spend 1 year in any of those environments, where people discover to their dismay when a "government" tries to square the ideals of a utopia with the messiness of reality. I'm willing to listen to anyone who has that experience under their belt. Until then, I would be grateful if "activists" would save their rants for those who request them.

Peace.

April 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  37. Mike, Colorado Springs, CO

"It is NOT irresponsible to BREED dogs! If we like a certain breed we should be able to pick from that breed. It’s not our fault that people aren’t fixing their dogs. You should be getting onto those people that lets their dog roam around knowing they are not fixed. This is the reason there are so many dogs at shelters."

Thank you, Bree...
    We can have it both ways, people! Yes, there are adoptable strays available. There are also responsibly bred purebreds. Just because I happen to love my Corgi, don't condemn me. He's neutered and won't be contributing to the stray population. That's more than I can say for the majority of dog owners; that's why we have a stray problem in the first place. Before you get all up in arms about someone wanting a certain breed of dog, take care of your own business and make sure you're not contributing to the problem.

April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  38. Mike

There is no such thing as humane breeding. So many 'certified' have to be euthanized at shelters just due to overcrowding at shelters – there's over 10 thousand a year here in Washington state. No, it's not all pit bulls and rotties. There's no excuse to add to this trauma by intentionally breeding more animals. Any breed you want can be found at local rescue groups (which can be challenging to find, but they're out there!)

April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  39. D. Kelly in Ohio

It breaks my heart to see dogs, cats or any other animal in shelters who need a home when we allow breeders to continue over populating. There needs to be a law put into place regarding this. Recently there was the stories regarding people becoming homeless and their animals being left behind. And all the recent stories of animal abuse. How sad. I have had dogs and cats all my life. I must say every dog and cat I have ever had has either been found or rescued. I have crawled under porches thru mud before to rescue. My last dog was a dumped pup my son found and we had for 17 years before he died. My current dog was rescued wondering around a neighborhood only to find out its owner had died. And my current cat is the one I crawled in the mud for.

April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  40. m.

Emily, for real? What do you think of foster families that take in abused children to try and re-teach love and safety? Should those children be "returned" because they tantrum? What a horrible lesson.

April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  41. Confused reader

To Tom M – What the hell does that mean?!

April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  42. gonetothedogs

let me understand this- per a comment posted..you are saying it is irresponsible for breeders because there are so many dogs in shelters? and I am sorry, but who is irresponsible? OMG, the irresponsibility of those that USED to own the dogs in shelters, DID not have the spayed or neutered, and apparantly did not have tags on their dogs, NOW WHO IS IRRESPONSIBLE? Really? and so breeders are "BAD" because they are exercising their freedom of choice, mind you some breeders are horrible.....give me a break...

April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  43. NancyE

Joe Biden should have acquired a dog from a german shepherd rescue.
    You can find dogs that range in age from puppies to seniors. I can't understand why Biden didn't use this opportunity to help a homeless dog and set the right example.
    We just adopted a jack russell from the pound and he is the sweetest thing. And our other shelter mutts are just the best.
    This problem of unwanted dogs can be solved.
    What's stopping us?

April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  44. Bernie

Guess what? Not everybody is going to get a pound puppy. Some adopted dogs turn out okay, but there are a lot of messed up ones as well. First dogs make lasting impressions on people, especially children or people who have a fear of dogs, so I wouldn't risk my family's first dog on a shelter dog.

For the record, my family's current dog is a BONES rescue beagle. If her behavior was the standard upon which I had based my expectations of dogs, I would not consider getting a dog of my own. Luckily, my first dog was a bred puppy that we received shortly after her birth.

April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  45. Mike

OK, of all the whiny, flaming liberals that posted to this thread, a question: did you adopt, or have your own children? If you adopted, good for you...there may be hope. If you "breeded" instead of adopting, keep your hippocritical opinions to yourself. The reality is that the dogs intentionally bred are the responsible choice and the pounds are full of the unfortunate misgivings of these irresponsible jerks that would "feel bad" about spaying or neutering a "member of their family". After all, family members have a "right" to procreate.

April 14, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  46. Jan

As the owner of 2 rescue dogs, I agree that should be the way to go. But I also realize there is a lot of baggage of taking in a dog that is not a puppy. It's not for everyone. To my knowledge, it is not a crime to be a responsible breeder or to purchase a pure bred dog from a responsible breeder. What in the world is wrong with people that would threaten people that don't think or do what you want them to do. I wouldn't trade my dogs for the world and one is a pit but to me it's like the many personal decisions we make in our lives, children, no children etc. And I wonder how many of the individuals that made negative comments have rescued a dog that is not a puppy. I don't know if this woman is a responsible breeder but since I'm not an expert on the subject I would give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she it.

April 14, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  47. Nicole Ryan

Getting a dog is a personal choice. If I want a well-tempered, well-bred dog that is my choice. Not all people want mutts or animals with personality disorders. I do not agree with puppy mills but breeders just want to bring out the best in a dog. Also, get you dog neutered or spayed and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

April 14, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  48. Philip Grant

This sound more to me like a persons right of choice.
    I understand the feelings of those of you think people ought to adopt
    instead of buying from a breeder but, it seems to me you are putting the blame in the worng place. These millions of animals you point to that are entering shelters each year are there because other irresponsible humans not the breeders. Besides making death threats is also inhumane. One form of immoral behavior cannot be justified by another form of immoral behavor.

April 14, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  49. MIKE

ok, well make it illegal to sell dogs if you want to get rid of breeders. you want to get rid of the overpopulation and cure hunger at the same time, feed the poor people dogs. get off your hi horses. there's a million reasons to breed dogs, and they aren't people so stop treating them like it and acting like they should have the same rights as people. and no, i don't think Vick should have gone to prison.

April 14, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  50. Qp

Good grief! God gave us dominion over the creation, including these animals. Leave breeders that are making an honest living alone unless they are neglecting or mistreating the canines. These same people that join PETA and are die-hard Vegans are the ones that show up at Pro-Abortion rallies. Let's save the baby seals but abort the unborn humans made in the image of God. We live in an upside-down world....

April 14, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  51. Robert

Does the same logic apply to people? Does it follow that people in Connecticut and Ohio are "disgusting" because they breed at the same time there are tens of millions of starving children in Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean? Get your priorities straight, people. If you want to be upset about something, do you consider the differennce between, say, an amoeba and a human? Which do you care to support? Let's start focusing our attention on issues that matter, like the human condition...

April 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  52. Colorado Bean

Of 152 comments to far, every single one (almost) is chanting "ADOPT ADOPT ADOPT!" Which I totally agree with, always choose a shelter than support these households who turn to their pets when money gets tight.

One question though, are we SURE this is about dog breeding, or is it about these anonymous groups lashing out on the breeders who sold a pup to the Democrats they didn't vote for?

Bush purchased full-breeds, anyone lash out and condemn the breeders they bought their dogs from??? Just curious..........

April 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  53. abbey

To Lee Harvey,
    You are mixing apples with oranges - do you think that by neglecting and abusing animals it will make it better for the children? One has nothting to do with the other. Along with "controlling" comes responsibiity - and it is our responsibiity to take care of both the children and the animals. It was not God's intention for us to abuse, neglect or do as we wish with the animals because we can or because as you put it, we control them.

April 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  54. tammy m

Tom M.
    That is just stupid. I am a liberal and have been rescuing dogs from the pound for decades. Keep your politics to yourself or get informed.

April 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  55. Gonz

stop hatting some dogs are just better then others...its a fact!!!

you rather have waldo then a lassie?

think before you sink

April 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  56. Michael

What most should be complaining about is not the responsible breeders but the families who haven't spayed their dog. Then this dog has a litter by the local stray of a neighborhood pet who is not neutered. Now you have more dogs. But since they arn't a reputable breeder they drive to the corner of Main and State and sell the puppies off for $80 – $100. Then the local passer by who thinks the price is right and they are too cute to resist buys the puppy and has no idea what they are getting into. When this individual gets tired of the puppy they dump it at the pound or on the street. People who buy dogs from reputable breeders and are paying for the dog that they researched arn't as willing to throw away $1600+ for their Mastiff as the guy who paid $80 for his mutt.

So, if you want to go after someone for irresponsible breeding. Make sure you have the correct target in sight!

April 14, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  57. Joe

Isn't it funny how people so passionate about animal rights don't even treat their fellow human beings with the same respect? PETA and other so called animal rights groups would sacrifice 10 people for the sake of one animal.

April 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  58. Mary

Everyone that buys a puppy at a pet store are buying animals from puppy mills. You have no idea what you are getting and who the parents are. Whether there are health issues. Every reputable breeder sells there dogs for allot less and you generally get health gaurentees and also guarentees to take the puppy back if it doesn't work out. How many pet stores do that. Some people don't want mutts or designer dogs, that cost sometimes can be more then the breeds that they mixed. And have you ever tried to adopt a dog or cat? It is almost as cost prohibitave as buying a puppy from a reputable breeder. Not to mention with no gaurentees. People that are reputable are in it for the love of the breed and most are breeding for that next champion at conformation agility and obedience. The dogs are loved and well taken care of.

April 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  59. Frances

This is all a bunch of bull. If you want to buy a dog – BUY A DOG. If you want a dog from the pound – GET A DOG FROM THE POUND. Since when should PETA or anyone else's opinion matter where, when or if anyone should breed animals or have pets at all for that matter. We are on a slippery slope when government or people believe they should decide the decisions of others.

April 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  60. Tim

Don’t know who goes after the scent of blood more, a hungry German Sheppard or a hungry reporter / activist looking to make a name for themselves. By the way, I blame George Bush for this and the dirty laundry that needs to be folded at my house. Isn’t that the popular thing to do these days?

April 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  61. Joe

People buy specific breeds because they have specific needs... I bought a miniature Schnauzer because they dont shed and they are protective and I wanted a small breed for my apt and small backyard. They tend to be natuarally hypo-allergenic. so people that are allergic dont have as much sensitivity. German shepards are made for protection and loyalty and as a working breed. Other breeds are made for herding and others because of their good nature with children or because they are hunting dogs or even because they have less aggressive natures and less tendancy to bark. People assume that the only reason to get a dog is so you can look at the pretty dog. You guys talk about the millions that are killed in shelter but you dont talk about the millions that are adopted. Anyone that is a dog owner knows just because there are dogs in a shelter doesnt mean its the dog for you. Why would i getr a dog from a shelter when i dont know its health history or if its gonna die in a year because of a heart problem or whatever else. I got my dog because I know his breeding and history and I dont have less chance of losing my best friend in the next 10 yrs then if i picked an unknow mut breed from the pound.
    As long as you do your research into a reputable breeder i think thats what matters. To each his own. and if you read the article people... they are 80 NON-breeding or PAST breeding age dogs and she still has them and cares for them even after they arnt breeding.

April 14, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  62. Josh

You all seem to miss the point. If he didn't want a shelter dog then it was his choice. I've rescued a number of animals but I also own 2 that I purchased from a breeder because I wanted a specific type of dog. Its as simple as that. The bottom line is it was his choice and it is my choice not yours to tell me what I did was wrong. It is also the breeders choice to do what they do. Maybe they do it for the love. Heck maybe they do it because they like the breed. They may even just do it for the money but it is their choice to do it. Thats the nice thing about living in America just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean I can't do it.

April 14, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  63. Jessica

I don't think that I should be looked down upon because I decided to buy a puppy from a responsible breeder. I happen to like to know and see the background of the dog that I am purchasing. That way I will have an idea about the temperament of my new family member. I used to work at the local animal shelter and local vet’s office. I saw what went in and out of the shelter everyday. I will also say that I have adopted many MANY dogs from the animal shelter, and they were very wonderful, loving pets. But, like I said I don’t feel like I should be looked down upon for buying a dog from a RESPONSIBLE breeder!!

April 14, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  64. Bethany

While I agree that breeding animals is not the most wonderful thing to do because of the effects on the animals in the shelter, it is not against the law(if it were up to me it would be). If this woman really is caring for her animals then it's her right to do as she wishes without being pestered. I'm all for animal rights organizations but they have got to be fair about who they are targeting. Why cause so much touble...oh....I know....so it will make the news. That's all they wanted here but that's not fair to the woman involved.

This is coming from someone who volunteers at the local shelter each week and owns four rescue cats. I hate what happens in the shelters but don't feel this treatment of others is the answer either.

April 14, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  65. anna

Breeding is about more than just pumping out puppies. It is also about maintaining healthy breeds and bloodlines. What do you think happens everytime you have a child? You are breeding and maintaining your bloodline. If you people are so concerned, next time you decide to have a child why don't you adopt a parentless child from one of the many third world countries that are filled with homeless parentless children? Yea, I didn't think you would.

April 14, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  66. maxine

making a blanket statement that breeders shouldn't breed because there are dogs in shelters is ridiculous. Why not just say that people shouldn't breed because there are so many kids out there already that need a good home. If i want a specific breed of dog, and want to raise that dog from the puppy stage to ensure the dog is properly bonded and there are no past abuses that are going to in turn be harmful to my family, that's my perogative. Do you have statistics on which dogs are in the shelters? all the shelters i've been to, the majority of the dogs are mutts – people who got a dog and didn't get it spay/neutered and then let it have puppies. those are the people you should go after. I don't know too many people that are paying $500-$3000 for purbred dogs that are turning them in to shelters. Don't penalize responsible breeders based on irresponsible pet owners.
    I've had both mutts from shelters and pure-breds. 2 of my mutts had health problems, and one had behavioural problems which i could work through in my single days. Now that i have kids in the house, getting a dog which i know how big it will be, has had temperment testing, and has a proven lineage back 3 plus generations, that's the animal i want to invite into my family.

April 14, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  67. KK

>My rescue dog was crated 24/7 for six years<

OMG. In humans, that would be called torture, and rightly so. So glad he has a real home now!

I know Obama had stated several times that they hoped to find a rescue dog. They were limited as to the breed by Malia's allergies. Also consider that the White House dog is in the spotlight. As noted by several posters, rescue dogs can come with baggage and need homes ready to take on that kind of challenge. Since they didn't get a rescue dog, they are making a donation to a pet shelter (or Humane Society?). They obviously did a lot of research and chose the dog that they think is right for them.

April 14, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  68. Emily

Those of you who are calling breeders selfish and irresponsible make me sad. These people have a right to their service. I have purchased two dogs from breeders and we will continue to do so. The two times I have attempted to adopt from the shelter the dogs have turned out to be unmanageable and were returned. One of them bit my daughter and broke the skin after she got excited and jumped up and down to celebrate. I guess it startled the dog and he lunged at her and bit her. The other one we adopted tore my house to pieces while we ran errands. The problem with shelter dogs is that you don't know what these dogs have already gone through that would effect them personality wise. It's hard to "teach an old dog new tricks" so to speak. Purchasing pups from breeders allows you to raise the dog in a way that suits your family's lifestyle. Maybe some of you don't care if dogs bite your kids or chew up your furniture but I sure do. I'm not saying that purchasing breeders pups is the only way to go but don't vilify those who chose to go that route. To each his own!!!!!!

April 14, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  69. Kathie

Why anyone "breeds" dogs is beyond me. There are thousands of dogs put to death EVERY DAY because no one wants them. Buying from a breeder – no matter how well tended the dogs are – is just immoral.

April 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  70. randy shumaker

PETA is nothing more than a political remnant of a once reputable organization. I have long since donated any money to these idiots and will never again.

April 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  71. Bernie

Many of the dogs that are in shelters are because they were purchased by either a pet shop or backyard breeder. A reputable breeder will take that dog back and that's in their contract. They also stay in touch with the owner for the life of the dog. As someone stated before this is a labor of love, not money. I am all for adopting a sheltered animal but many people want a dog that they can train and grow with the family many of these shelter dogs have many behavioral issues, not all but many. I know I have a rescue myself. So if you want to attack someone attack the pet shops and the backyward breeder that are selling sick dogs. It's like anything else, before you buy a dog do your research!

April 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  72. Kris

1. Irresponsible owners, not reputable breeders, create overpopulations of animals when animals are neglected and/or abandoned.
    2. Last I heard, we are free to choose in this country, and that includes the people and creatures with whom we choose to live.
    3. These choices are often for health reasons, but "personalities" are important, too- in both people and animals
    4. As for "abuse", a woman's "right to choose", and "puppies"; once any life truly exists, there should be care and love, never abuse. Comparing the choice to abort prior to viable life is vastly different from abusing someone or something that IS viable and living.

Anyway, Nature decides most things...

April 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  73. Mike

I think you all need a job.

April 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  74. Pete

I live in DE right on the PA line and I can back up the person who said those counties right over the line in PA are some of the staunchest Republicans you'll ever see – like 80% Repub in those districts. Harass this lady just to shine a bad light on Biden? Right up their alley.

April 14, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  75. humanexperience

To those who support PETA and other animal rights groups because you love animals, please take this opportunity to rethink your support.

Animal *rights* groups, including PETA, are on a mission to ELIMINATE ALL PET OWNERSHIP. They believe pets have the "right" not be owned by humans. AR groups literally use terrorist tactics to help them achieve their goals. To them, EVERY breeder is a puppymill, and they will not concede that carefully purebred animals have a history of purpose,. Although this has not been well covered in mainstream media, much has been dcoumented and written about it, so please check it out for yourself online.

There ARE animal *welfare* groups like the National Animal Interest Alliance of that promote and lobby for humane practices and relationships between people and animals. These groups would welcome your support and celebrate your love of animals.

Repsonsible pet ownership is a joyous thing!

April 14, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  76. Tim

All of the people here calling responsible breeders irresponsible because there are dogs in the pound are hypocrites. Do you have children? Why? Don't you know how many children out there in the world are waiting for adoption?

April 14, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  77. Kili

Sorry, but EIGHTY ADULT DOGS ON SITE? Sounds like a puppy mill, NOT a "reputable breeder" to me.

Death threats, however, are ridiculous and way over the top... clearly the work of nutcases.

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  78. Joe D.

The local officals are Republican? There is empirical evidence that half of the population of the world (give or take 1) are of less than average intelligence. We are hearing from a few of them today. To pick a name like "Gop Hater" really takes moronic to a new level. If you don't have anything cogent to say, please go back to picking your nose.

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  79. angela martin

You've got to be kidding me. These PETA people need to get life. I saw the video of where the man throws a dead dog in a bag on his desk because a little girl didn't get a puppy from the pound. In other words a pound dog was killed because a little girl got a puppy from a breeder. This is the most horrifying and offensive video ever. I have lost all respect for PETA people. People have a right to get a dog where ever they choose and to say all breeders are "puppy mills" is just plain stupid. As the woman said who sold VP Biden the puppy "I'll "never provide services to a high profile person again. . Neitheir would I !!!!! Moving forward PETA went over the top on this one

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  80. Matt OBrien

I would be happy to adopt a shelter dog. My only problem is that it would be a chore to find a dog at shelter which is steady under the gun and can retrieve Giant Canada Geese.

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  81. gonetothedogs

PETA – every human being needs to know they are are the WOLF in SHEEP's clothing. They are abusive, they don't believe anyone should own a family pet- read up folks educate yourself. They open kennels at airports so dogs can be freed! Dear Lord. You know there are plenty of animals that need rescuing, but dont you dare take away a human's right to be able to choose if they want a dog from a reuptable, REPUTABLE breeder- this is nonsense WAKE UP AMERICA. and please do your research on PETA!!!!!!!!

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  82. Mark Ramsey MD

I think some people here are missing the point. Of all the dogs this lady has, where did they come from? It is likely that many of them were products of her puppy mill, and she didn't find homes for them all. The fact that she takes good care of them misses the point. She's making too many dogs. Imagine if, instead of housing 80 of her unwanted productions, she instead had room to rescue 80 strays?

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  83. Andy

I just want to know where is the outrage for the thousands of children abused every day. Where is the outrage for child murders. Where is the out rage for the millions of starving and dying PEOPLE around the world. Where is the outrage that we havent found a cure for cancer or HIV, or that we are not providing enough funding for research. Where is the outrage that we are in two wars, or that the Bil of rights haev been trounced and torn apart?

All of you people on here who are so concerned with the lives of animals, would call the police if you saw an animal being abused, but will not even see a crying child. You are the same people that donate time and money to helping animals, yet could care less about the harm done to people.

Abusing any living creature is wrong. Yes, there are millions of adorable pets in shelters around the country. But there are also millions of children that need good homes. I guess we should villify anyone that has a child instead of adopting.

Instead of defending a group like PETA (who seems to forget that there message gets lost the moment you start villifiying free will) perhaps we can shine a light on groups that every day go out of there way to help PEOPLE. We can do some thing about the excess pet problem in this country when we first provide health care to all, make sure all americans have homes and jobs and that every child gets a decent and well rounded educaton. Perhaps if we had that sort of outcry regarding these things versus this outrage about pets, something could get done in thsi ocuntry.

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  84. Darryl

I am 45 years old and have owned 3 dogs. I have owned one hunting dog that I purchased from a quality breeder. This dog was breed for a specific purpose that he did very well. I have owned two other dogs which I picked out from a city pound. They also were and are both perfect for what I wanted. My third dog is still with me.

Once again I am confused by the opinions I have read. The problem is not the animals, the problem is that we allow people to own pets that are not responsible. I have never owned a pet that was not spayed or neutered. This is American and as a responsible citizen I will select my pets for the purposes that I want one and from wherever and who I want. That way these pets are sure to be loved by me.

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  85. The Ranger

PETA is an organization of maniacs and people who value animal life over human life. What do this people think they are going to get, right for animals to vote? Give me a break, this is what is wrong with the world, we give these organization credence by allowing them to just go on as they are. What ever happened to “our own personal life?” First PETA asked the PET Shop Boys to change their name to the Shelter Boys? What gives them the right to do that? We have allowed groups like this to alter our way of life and make us change how we show our beliefs. I think it is time that America takes back its testicles and starts putting these out spoken misguided and just crazy organizations back in their places. I think it is time for Americans to take back America!

April 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  86. amy

when all of these folks who can't get off of good breeders backs start adopting all of their children instead of ever having their own, then i might find some merit to the arguments that every single dog purchased from a good breeder sentences a rescue dog to death.

sorry folks, but the reality is that the people who took in an animal they had no intention of caring well for and then abandoned are the ones who sentence the rescue dogs to death.

(i have three dogs...two rescues and one from a reputable breeder. all are equally loved & cared for.)

April 14, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  87. LN

I adopted a "shelter dog" and 6,000 dollars later, he died after having many surgeries and meds. Even knowing you fly blind when adopting a pet, we went back to the shelter to get another family member. Imagine my surprise when I was turned down by not one, not two but THREE rescue groups. Why? Because I work full time. Did not matter that my vet wrote a letter of recommendation, I was open to a home inspection, and that we treat our animals better than some parents treat kids. I exploded on the GSD rescue people. You want to know why there are reputable breeders and people that buy dogs. There you go. I am the proud owner of 2 German Shepherds. I interviewed a dozen breeders before I found one comfortable.
    Oh and my shelter cat.... yup getting en EKG and ultrasound Friday for a heart defect. I will do what needs to be done to make him well, I made a life committment to him. I am sick of hearing holier than thou people talking crap about people that "buy" dogs. With that said, puppy farms should be shut down and those running them should be sent to jail for life!

April 14, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  88. AT

Juliet – I agree with you YET I disagree with you. Here is the problem with shelters....It costs a small fortune or just as much to get a dog from the shelter as it does from a breeder. With a breeder you know what you are getting and most havea health check and a guarentee. With a shelter you DONT – period. I'll give you an example: We adopted from a shelter some 8 years ago. At that time we were stipulated with we must have dog spayed within x amount of time (no problem) – Well after getting shots having her spayed, and all the other expenses that come along with a dog we were hit with her having an incurrable disease. One that made her craby (biting at even us) because she was in so much pain, there were no options for surgeries, etc she could not even go out to the bathroom on her own – we had to carry her. We ended up having to have her put to sleep after months of medications, loads of money and many tears. NOW all shelters state you have to pay up front costs to have the dog spayed/neutered kind of a "down-payment", some REQUIRE obediance trainging at $30.00 a session, they make "home visits" to make sure you have a proper home for the dog, they require references, etc! We require more to adopt a dog then we do a human!!! Take a look – do a search for those "non believers" who do not think it costs a small fortune to bring home a dog from a shelter – search out different states, locations. Some are upwards of $300+++++ – Thats INSANE! No wonder these poor animals are sitting and sitting until they pass puppy stage OR have outlived their welcome and have to be put down – no one can afford to take them home! They have to take out a loan to get a dog that MIGHT have problems, MIGHT not adapt, MIGHT have social issues, etc.....We lost over $1,200.00 on a dog who had a forever home – now you wonder why people go to breeders......Maybe if the shelters got a little more realistic with their charges, (most of these shelters have vets available and get the spay neuter at a way reduced cost – even free yet the shelter charges for it....), get rid of the unrealistic expectations, the rediculous "home visits", etc they would find forever homes for these poor animals.....

April 14, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  89. Phila

Breeders of purebred dogs serve a very important purpose. With a purebred dog, you know it's physical, emotional, and grooming needs, as well as its temperament and ultimate size and weight. A responsible dog owner will consider these critical factors for the health, happiness, and safety of dog, owner, and community.

April 14, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  90. Susan

As someone who works in rescue in the South, where the pet overpopulation problem is unfathomable, I am disappointed that both Biden and Obama picked purebred dogs from breeders. They could have taken advantage of a very teachable moment about responsibility and compassion.

However, I understand the desire of enthusiasts to maintain a breed standard, and have responsible, strict screening for potential families that buy their dogs. Any reputable breeder will tell you that they never make money on breeding, because the cost of care and vetting far exceeds the cost of the puppy. Good breeders don't do it for the money, they do it for the love of the breed.

Unfortunately, a breeder with 80 dogs on site is likely not one of those responsible breeders. It sounds like she is bordering on the line of a puppy mill, which I totally abhor, and I wish Biden had investigated his choice a little more carefully.

April 14, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  91. Tom

How about all the children waiting for adoption? So with your way of thinking, anyone with their own children are irrisponsible breeders? You people are stupid.

How about concentrating your fight for stiffer laws and enforcement.

April 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  92. Natalie

I think it is funny that all the Liberals are accusing Republicans of playing partisan politics with this issue when PETA has always fallen on the "crazy whackjob Liberal" side of the issue. Get your facts straight. Conservatives aren't the ones making the issue. It is other members of your own party!

April 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  93. Murf

Sorry folks, gotta call him out.

JD – why did you post a comment to this story. Are you for real??

"How is it that dog breeders are subject to such scrutiny about the treatment of dogs and puppies, but yet women are free to discard human life with no recourse?"

Get off your computer, and volunteer some of your down time to helping at your local animal shelter.

April 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  94. Wah wah

No one should own a dog. All they do is bark, crap all over the public places, and have annoying owners who act like their dog is a kid.

April 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  95. JB

Sonia, all of our dogs are from the shelter and all 5 are purebreds.
    Only one has "baggage" and it is because she was abused, her physical scars are permanent.

The woman in question is certainly no saint, or she would be taking in unwanted animals rather than breeding for her personal financial gain. Further, with 80 animals there no way they are getting the socialization and individual attention (or exercise) they need.

I also want to point out that those who think animal lovers do not care about children are clueless. We take in emergency foster kids (we are not compensated in any way) and I am the first to step up and speak if I see a parent hitting a child. Just because you care about animals doesn't mean you don't care about children too!

April 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  96. Brandon Lauritzen

She has been doing this for 40 years! Obviously she has had experience. If you watch the video, it looks clean to me!

April 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  97. m.

Umm I dont believe PETA is mentioned anywhere in this article. You are assuming that because it's the only animal rights organization that you know of. You cant judge all well-meaning animal rights activists by one overhyped media-hungry organization. Believe it or not some of us are simply compassionate people with very strong morals and convictions.

April 14, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  98. DP

How many animals does PETA euthanize at its shelter in VA?

April 14, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  99. Steve

Not to get quasiphilosphical, but how is 'not breeding' a puppy to save a rescue dog any better than 'breeding' a puppy at the 'potential' expense of a rescue dog getting put down?

Either way a dog loses out...in one case it's the dog that was denied the potential to exist in the first place, in the other case it's the rescue dog.

Let folks get their dogs where they want.

April 14, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  100. muttley macclad

Hey Beth, can it. I'll use a breeder for my next dog and you'll simply have to take it and like it. I want a pedigreed pup with a reputable breeder who carefully selects bred dogs to maintain the ideal of the breed and breed out the known problems. That as you know is an evolving process.

I apply the same careful seelection to my own bloodline, btw.
    So do you one would only hope.

April 14, 2009 at 1:28 pm |