American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 14th, 2009

Biden puppy haunts breeder

CNN's Alina Cho reports on the backlash received by the breeder who sold Vice President Biden his puppy.

From CNN's Melissa Morgenweck

There was no need to ring a doorbell when we pulled up to the Wolf Den kennel in Chester county Pennsylvania. At least a dozen German Shepherds announced our arrival.

Linda Brown greeted us and introduced us to the pack including her favorite, 13 year old Hans. Most of the dogs in this section had once been breeders. Now she keeps them as her personal pets.

They are just one grouping of the approximately 80 adult dogs that she says live on her property. “German Shepherds look into the mirror of your soul. They are intelligent and protective and your animals for life.”

Brown told us that she had been up since 4am helping deliver a litter of puppies. “They like to give birth in the middle of the night when it’s quiet and still.”

As we toured the property Brown recalled the day last December when Vice President Biden came to pick out a dog. “He picked the puppies up and literally kissed them all over. And when he did finally select his puppy he just wouldn’t let him go.”

But Brown says she has paid a big price for the publicity. Soon after the visit she claims she received death threats from animal-rights groups. Dog wardens from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture also made multiple visits to inspect her kennels. (The state told one of our producers that inspections typically take place twice a year.)

Brown was cited for poor record keeping, dirty housekeeping and mistreating her dogs. Last month she was cleared of all citations. “It hurts the depth of your soul that they would even have the nerve to call me and tell me that I’m inhumane with my dogs. My dogs are treated better than most children are treated.”

Filed under: Controversy
  1. JIM IN CO

I am very upset with the add PETA ran. I put PETA in my search engine and I found more upsetting things about PETA. Check out this web site http://www.petakillsanimals,com. This web site, if it has correct information, shows me that PETA has no right to condem the killing of any animal. If this web site is correct then PETA is a two faced bunch of jerks.

April 14, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  2. Ryan

Yeah, go adopt a mutt that you know NOTHING about. You don't know if it was abused or if it has any history of illness. You don't know what mix of breed is in the dog, yes it matters because different breeds are meant for different things. Mutts are like gambling, sometimes you get a really good dog, and sometimes you get the next Kujo.

April 14, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  3. Reena

There is a difference between a puppy mill and a breeder. A good breeder has dogs that only have 1-2 litters a year and are kept in good conditions, receive medical care, and many times, they work to get rid of genetic defects and diseases. Some dogs need breeders! Bulldogs for example, need good breeding or else they can have a world of health problems (though sometimes they still do).

If it weren't for breeders, many dogs we know and love wouldn't exist.

Puppy mills breed dogs as much as they can and do not take care of their animals. They sell the dogs to pet stores. They often have multiple breeds and the object is to produce as many puppies as possible to maximize profit. They disgust me.

I have one shelter dog and one I got from a family who had puppies and yes I agree you should adopt from the shelter and yes, its awful how crowded it is, but I wouldn't hold it against breeders. I'd hold it against irresponsible dog owners who 1) ditch their dogs at shelters because they "don't have time" for them and 2) people who do not get their dogs fixed, which contributes to the overpopulation.

April 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  4. Teeta

Why should anyone defend his/her decison to purchase an animal from a breeder or decide that they hold the key to all things moral and just because they got their pet from the pound. Is this still America? Did someone come in the middle of the night and institute a some sort of special ethics squad? Do what you want as long as your decision/actions agree with my personnal beliefs? Very scary.

April 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  5. V.

I think this woman was running a legitimate business and was made a target by the radical animal rights groups because of her publicity. Dog breeding is not a crime, nor should it be. While these animals should be treated humanely, they should not be treated as humans. They need to be cared for and kept in comfortable humane environments and ultimately placed in good homes, but we should not make the mistake of affording them humanity. They aren't humans. They are dogs. As long as the breeders are responsible and treat their animals well, they shouldn't be targeted for making a legititmate profit from their business.

April 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  6. rae

There's always going to be that one person that doesn't agree with what you're doing. No way EVERYONE is going to agree on something as a whole.

Keep your chin up, Ms. Brown.

April 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  7. lovedogs

I for one am sick of reading over and over again on these websites "for every dog that a person buys from a breeder one dies in the shelter". Yes, I concede that the amount of unwanted animals in this country is a problem that must be addressed. However, people have every right to go out and buy a pure bred dog from a reputable breeder if they so choose. When a person buys a purebred dog from a reputable breeder there are many benefits to be had. For one, you will have a good idea of the physical and tempermental traits of the dog you choose, both parents will have all the health tests required for the particular breed so you are more likey to get a healthy animal, and if for some reason you cannot keep the dog a reputable breeder will take the dog back and rehome it. Additionally, you can choose to participate in a number of AKC events included confirmation, agility, and obediance.
    I applaud anyone who would like to adopt a dog from a shelter, but I also applaud and respect anyone who chooses to buy a dog from a reputable breeder. Just because some people have been irresponsible in breeding their dogs, which has resulted in over population, it does not mean that reputable breeders should be labled as evil, they are not the problem!

April 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  8. AT

Amen to that Mary C – I think these home visits and "inspections", and this "criteria" these shelters put out there are CRAZY! Again, they would rather seen an animal without a home sitting in a cage then have it go to a forever home. With "oh my gosh! another cat!"... I have 2 dogs – both mutts – both purchased for $25.00 from private parties. The oldest 9 now and wont be with us much longer – she was hit by a truck as a pup (wanted to play with the neighbors cows and she accidently got loose when my son went to put her out for potty) – we put thousands into having all her skin reattatched, I spent hours dealing with drip tubes, etc. She is spayed, up to date on shots, has had a loving home for 9 full years. We now have a 3 month old puppy – again purchased for $25.00 – she is a mixed breed as well and smarter then a whip! She can already sit, laydown, roll, shake and even roll the other way when told! I didnt have to "beg" a shelter for her, I didnt have to pay a small fortune to a shelter for her. I will get her spayed before she is of age without someone MAKING me pay for it up front. *I* am doing the obediance training. I am not rquired by someone else to have it done and to pay $30.00 a session for it. I will not have the "shelter" checking out my home and telling me if I am or am not "fit" to adopt a recued animal. I rent – this would disqualify me immediately for a dog. I am in a stable home with teenagers – that might disqualify me too because of all the "activity" at home – I work – oh God no, only stay at home moms can have dogs! I have other pets – apparently that would have been a no-no too – So I decided to look to a private party for a puppy to add to our home and our life. I truly did want to go to a shelter but their costs and "regulations" are just to stringent – they apprently would rather keep them locked in a cage then see them in a loving home.....

April 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  9. Alex

I fail to understand why one must never buy from a reputable breeder and instead always take a dog out of rescue. I say never buy from a pet store that gets their animals from puppy mills or backyard breeders, most of whom end up in rescue, but top breeders, such as those who also show dogs, should not be ostracized as adding to the dog population. Puppy mills breeding designer crosses in tiny cages should be shut down.

I have done both in terms of where I got my dogs – loved both dogs madly – but would always buy another directly from a breeder – one I could visit, see the dogs as pups before 8 wks, meet the mom, see the papers, review the health guarantee, get screened by a breeder who asks the probing questions about how I would care for the dog (fenced yard? at home?) and what characteristics they look for to match the breed etc.

My humane society dog was the most expensive and heart breaking act of kindness – it needed a special diet, daily insulin shots, four different operations, tons of socialization work for fear and food aggression. I would be hard to go through that sort of experience again, it was an emotional and financial drain in every way. My carefully selected dog from a show dog kennel has been nothing but healthy, and I feel, for the sake of everyone else in my life who supports any pet I own, it's the best way to go to give us a more balanced experience in the joys of pet ownership.

April 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  10. miranda therese Parker

Please stop judging people that want pure-bred dogs. Have you thought of the reasons why? Allergies, knowing the history of the animal, etc. I agree with all of you that are of the opinion that plenty of animals need homes, but does that really make it ok to crucify your neighbor for going to a breeder? For the record, I have a pure-bred AND an adoptee. Does that make me only 1/2 a good person?

April 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  11. Christine

These so-called animal welfare groups need to get off their moral high-horse and stop harassing responsible breeders, who are true advocates for the well-being of their respective breed. When I was looking for the right Doberman (because in a nutshell, I wanted a highly protective family dog) I considered rescues and shelters, but simply could not find a dog that I KNEW was properly nurtured and socialized from birth, and weaned by a well-socialized mother. That's the kind of animal I wanted in my home. Though my original intent was adoption, I found a responsible breeder, whose previous clients welcomed me into their homes to meet the dogs they got from her, and I purchased a purebred puppy who has grown into a wonderful urban family dog. Rescue and shelter dogs aren't for every household, and getting a healthy dog from a caring person isn't immoral.

April 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  12. DC Dog Lover Man

I fully support Obama/Biden in the areas of econonic recovery, social recovery, civil rights, education and health care reform, etc. But I think they really dropped the ball by getting dogs from breeders. They could have gone to the DC Animal Shelter right out on NY Avenue and picked out a dog that really needs a home, and saved it from Euthanasia. The Obamas could have found a low-dander dog there easily. I think it sends the wrong message. There are too many animals being euthanized right here in DC to warrant obtaining a puppy from a breeder.

April 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  13. chris

Guys, do you think we are missing the big picture here? I mean come on! We are talking about DOGS here. So the first and second family got a dog for their family. Who the hell cares where they got the dogs from! Just do your job and lead this country correctly. Getting a dog from a breeder or from a shelter has nothing to do with how a person lives their life, does their job or what type of morals they do or don't have. Are you all telling me that you feel so passionately about this with DOGS and CATS but NOT about the thousands of children that need adoption? I mean, if it is irresponsible to breed DOGS and CATS when there are so many of them at shelters, is it equally irresponsible to breed children and not adopt? Get a grip people! Lets move on to more important things and let these people get back to their lives and their jobs. I think Biden and Obama have more then enough on their plate then to deal with this. Don't you all?

April 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  14. Virginia

As a responsible breeder of Balinese – a very rare breed of cats – I carfeully choose where my kittens go. You will hardly ever see a Balinese in a shelter because most people who have had the good fortune to care for a Balinese love them dearly. In fact most of my kittens go to people who have previously had a Balinese. We breed these beautiful animals because we wish to preserve them – they are well cared for – we genetically test the adults and always insist that if the new owner is unable to care for the cat they must return the cat back to us.

And yet as careful as we are – we have run into people who view pet ownership not as a responsibility, but as a matter of convenience. If you look at the reasons why animals end up in the shelter, it is often because it suddenly became "inconvenient" to continue to care for the animal. We need to stop blaming breeders, but start educating people that when they decide to adopt a pet, they are taking responsibility for a life that is going to be totally dependent on them for the rest of that animal's life. The animal may not be perfect or may get sick, but that is no excuse to toss them back into a shelter.

I once had someone who returned a kitten back to me 10 months later because he didn't like her voice. Fortunately he doesn't have kids because he probably would have tossed them out the first time they had poopy pants.

So animal rights activists, quit going after breeders and start going after your fellow thoughtless human beings!

I had

April 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  15. Rachelle

A responsible breeder? Did you see that there are 80 ADULT DOGS on her property? 80 breeding dogs is not a responsible breeder. 1/8 of that number is not a responsible breeder. Even if only half of those adult dogs are breeding, that is a puppy mill, not a responsible breeder. How she treats her dogs is somewhat irrelevant to this fact. She is churning out puppies as a business, and for every dog she churns out, another is sentenced to death at a shelter.

I have 5 dogs, and I can tell you that two people can barely devote enough time to properly care for, feed, train, vet, and groom 5 dogs properly. We have no life – it is devoted to our dogs. 80 dogs is a warehouse – not a home.

Shame on the breeder for breeding so haphazardly clearly to make a buck. Shame on you Biden for buying your dog from this woman. Shame on you both, Mr. President, and Mr. VP, for caving to lesser, shallow aspects of your nature and not rescuing a dog from a true shelter situation.

And shame most of all on the people who call themselves animal rights activist, but make threats against, hurt, or emotionally terrorize people . If you believe in the right of animals to live a happy and free life, you have to believe it for ALL animals – including humans.

Be the change you wish to see in the world...

April 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  16. Terra

There is nothing wrong with breeders! Some breeds of dog you can only get from breeders, because the pet store won't carry them! If people think breeding dogs is wrong what about other animals, like birds! I am getting ready to get a bird from a breeder, is that wrong to breed birds as well, because let me tell you, if you go to a resuce agency to get a bird you better know what your doing and what your getting into!! Birds with behavior problems are much worse then you can ever know, unless you rescue them!! I am all for breeders as long as there animals are well cared for!!

April 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  17. chris o

Why should i be forced to take a dog from the pound or shelter, yes there is a problem where to many dogs are breed and then left for dead, but why punish the good people. So now i cant have new things? I must buy a used car becuase theres to many used cars so i shouldnt buy a new car if i can afford it. That doesnt make sence to me.

I have 5 dogs myself, i take care of my dogs better then many take care of thier children, plain and simple, most pet lovers treat thier pets better then some treat thier own family.

The issue is people and not the dog or the breeders, people in general are nasty andmost dont deserve a dog but in no way should others be pinned down to get a shelter dog just because you feel i should. Mind your own business and worry about yourself.

April 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  18. Alicia

This bears repeating, 80 dogs is not a responsible breeder, its a puppy mill, dont be stupid!!!

April 14, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  19. lynn

if she has 80+ dogs, she is breeding far more than she can place.
    while i don't condemn all breeding, breeding this many more than
    can be placed is also wrong. the unwanted dogs either live their
    entire lives in her kennels with only occassionally getting out, or end up in a shelter later on because they were placed by necessity in less-than-great homes (which often dump them at shelters when they tire of them).

April 14, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  20. Ryan

So I assume that all of you that are telling breeders to go away and that it is wrong have adopted all of your children and would never think of having your own??? I realize that this may be not an apples to oranges comparison but that is basically what you are saying. "since there are dogs available at shelters, don't buy from breeders to get exactly what you want"

Dogs at shelters come with many issues, some built in already by previous owners or a rough life, many were abused, etc. With purebred puppies, you get a new dog that you can raise and train from the start. I have no problem at all with RESPONSIBLE breeders. I have had 4 boxers, two from rescue and two from breeders and I support all of the RESPONSIBLE breeders and rescue groups alike as they are all trying to get rid of the bad ones.

April 14, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  21. Aaron

Too many of you seem to think the breeder has no right to do her job. Note she also serves as a rescue shelter for German Shephards, without a 2-week death policy. Many people don't like "pound-dogs" because of the uncertainty of ownership. If you get a dog which was previously abused it can easily become a danger to small children and even adult owners. A breeder takes much better care than the local pound to ensure their dogs are a proper fit to the owner. A pound will sell a dog to a family of 6 living in a 1 room apartment while a breeder is meticulous on the details of where their dog will live. Don't trash breeders and private rescue shelters just because you simply no nothing about their system. Why don't you buy 10 acres of land and keep care of 80 dogs instead of complaining about the good deed she is doing for her community and the very happy owners of her dogs.

April 14, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  22. Dennis

Dogs taste good. Lots of protein and low in fat.

April 14, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  23. Pam

I agree. Dogs should not be bred.
    Too many die in shelters, and not all shelters use humane euthanization techniques!
    Where is PETA when that happens?
    I also think that dogs should not be treated as 'chattel' and sold for profit.
    Who cares is a dog is purebread? (come on – that would be called incest if it were humans doing that!)
    The lowliest mutt has the purest love!

April 14, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  24. marva

I'm sorry that this breeder was subjected to such outrageous scrutiny merely because Biden purchased a pup from her. I'm weary of the "if you are operating a good kennel, you needn't worry about an inspection"! Few understand the ridiculous requirements to "pass" an inspection ... how many dog owners STERILIZE their pets' dog house every 2 weeks? If you are a breeder, you are required to do so. How many dog owners remove the poop from their yard ONCE DAILY. If you are a breeder, you are required to do so. Has the grass in your yard ever gotten 6" high because you've been busy or the weather has been bad? If you are a breeder, that's a violation.

There is truly very little "profit" in raising dogs ... food, veterinarian supplies and veterinary care costs continue throughout the year while the responsible breeder breeds females only once a year. And, the responsible breeder insists its puppies be returned "home" if circumstances dictate the adoptee can no longer keep ... a breeder will incur shipping, updated veterinary care, etc. to re-home the pet.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "shelter dogs". Until a few years ago, I'd had "shelter pets" my entire adult life. Then, I fell in love with an Alaskan Malamute ... with a purebred, you are better able to determine the dog's temperament. With a mixed breed, you are dealing with the temperaments of 1, 2, perhaps more, breeds in one animal.

There are few "purebred" dogs in shelters ... rescue organizations are available nationwide to pick up purebred dogs and find homes for them. And, responsible breeders require puppies be spayed/neutered as soon as possible ... breeders are not the cause of overpopulation of dogs and cats. Irresponsible pet owners are the root cause ... refusing to have their animals spayed/neutered – of course, vets aren't too willing to come off their fees for such services either.

The number of dogs cared for by a breeder is not an indication whether he/she is a "puppy mill". The QUALITY of care and attention to the animals housed at the kennel determines whether the kennel is a "puppy mill".

April 14, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  25. patriceg

Michael, really, 7 dogs? I know of a woman in Columbus who has 8 dogs, is dying and now has to find homes for 8 dogs. The insanity of your thought process and your conspicuous consuption is as bad as it gets. Nobody's impressed.

April 14, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  26. Karla M

Oh really, Tom M! Your logic is laughable. So only liberals have pure breed dogs? A lot of valid points have been made here, pro and con the issue of dog breeding. Yours is not one of them.

April 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  27. mc

I agree poor unwanted dogs should be adopted. In fact, poor unwanted children should be adopted. How dare any American breed their own children instead of adopting? Pregnant women must be stopped immediately!

April 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  28. KB

People do not stop having children because there are many out there with no homes that need adopted. You cannot blame the reputable and responsible breeders. There is NOTHING wrong with maintaining a good blood line. It is the irresponsible people who have ninety cats in their home that they will not get fixed and end up with 600 kittens that are inbred and dumped on society that are the problem. Place the blame where it is deserved – on the irresponsible and uneducate.

April 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  29. Matt

Adopting is great and I have done it and will do again, but purebreds are great too and our next dog will be from a breeder. There isn't anything wrong with breeding dogs to get the traits you want. When you go to the pound you are getting who knows what. Around here 50%+ of the dogs are pitbulls in the shelter anyway and they should be destroyed out of hand. Good on you Joe for getting a Sheperd. Great dogs!

April 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  30. Jonathan

PETA is nothing but a fringe group that wants to exert their concepts onto others in dealing with animals. Yet they advocate killing pets rather than allowing them to live with people (look it up online). There's a history of them lying to gain access to animals, euthanizing them, and dumping the carcasses in dumpsters. Yeah, that's real ethical.

80 Dogs in a shelter are not too much if they are well cared for. The article said nothing about how many of the dogs were used for breeding.

It would help to have all the facts before drawing a conclusion. I definitely wouldn't take PETA at their word about anything.

April 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  31. Hamham

Ok first off I have to mention that 90% of the time I get a dog I get it from the pound in order to give a good home to a pet. That said, I have to say for people to seriously lay off the good breeders (not the puppy mills) People who go to the reputable breeders are more often than not the people who pay lots of money for a dog and TAKE CARE of their animal.

Yes we should help the animals in the pound. HOWEVER, why are there so many animals in the pound?? Because other individuals don't live up to their responsibility of caring for their animal! I think all animals should be expensive so people think twice about getting one in the first place! Then if they do purchase the animal they can A. Afford to care for it and B. Are less likely to just discard the animal because the puppy grew up. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming others for wanting a specific breed that meets their lifestyle or tastes. To each their own.

April 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  32. tg

As with everything in life there are pros and cons to this situation. We have 3 dogs, 1 from a breeder and 2 from shelters.

If the dogs are coming from a safe, clean and friendly environment where they receive food, medical attention and care than where is the problem? This is America....where freedom comes first.

If the dogs are not being given he care and love they deserve than the authorities need to step in.

I have a lot of respect for some of the breeders I know, but my preference is to adopt.

Remember we live in America......Land of the Free (not so much anymore!)

April 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  33. mary McK

I have both adopted pets from shelters and from a breeder. 3 of the dogs I adopted from the shelter were HORRIBLE for my situation. (I spent TONS on education, obedieance training, etc. and still could not keep them). 2 of my dogs came from breeders. Both of them are great fits for my family. My dachshund was a part of the family at the breeders we got him from (kept in the house, even potty trained when we got him). A certificate of health and spay/neuter agreement were part of the purchase. If anything ever occured that we could no longer keep him, the breeder agreed to take him back. (there is a difference between a 'backyard' breeder and a hobby breeder...one is for money and the other is a occasional occurance for love of the breeed.) My dachshund is from Champion bloodlines and has scored well in the ring (although he is primarily a family pet). My other dog is a corgi and used to be the breeders show dog but she HATED the ring. She is a good family pet and has even been trained to be a service dog to my son, (who is deaf and autistic).

April 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  34. mossy

I have cared for and rescued nine stray cats over the years and spayed/neutered/released the cats that were not adoptable. The suffering of these animals is all due to the irresponsibility of other humans. Nonetheless, when the time came to get our first family dog, we ultimately went to a reputable breeder. While I looked at breed rescues from puppy mill situations, there were many unknowns regarding behavior and health history, and with very specific yard and family needs, I needed more certainty with my first dog. I resent that PETA and other animal welfare groups, which I have supported over the years, accuses me of causing the death of shelter animals. I find the PETA ad offensive in every way, and it is this type of extremism that makes people who would otherwise be sympathetic and supportive to their issues turn away.

April 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  35. Thomas

I support PETA's underlying intentions but often find myself at odds with some of their actions..and this is one of those times.

Like it or not, protecting and insuring the breedlines of dogs, among other species is both ethical and humane. Yes, there are breeders who act unethically, but PETA has a duty to make sure they know for a fact that is the case before they point fingers lest they lose their own credibility..which is too often being called into question as it is.

Sorry, PETA...and everyone else, but you were wrong on this one.

You all owe this woman an apology.

April 14, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  36. mortified

Ignorance must be bliss! So many of you have no idea what a responsible breeder does for thier breed, nor do you understand the lengths that they go through to ensure thier dogs go to great homes. The reason they are called breeds, is because each one has a purpose or qualities that are required for thier situation. So many of you have written about the dogs that are available at the shelters or local pounds, do you know what types of dogs these are, do you know how they were treated, do you know how they were raised? Most likely no! If you have a young child at home, do you want a dog that was breed specifically for it's temperment, by responsible breeders who socialize thier puppies, or do you want to take the chance on a dog from the shelter that you know nothing about? Breeders have thier place, start cracking down on the people who let dogs just run loose and dont spay and nudder thier pets, start cracking down on the "puppy mills", but please leave the reputable breeders alone! The really good breeders produce amazing dogs who are great at what they are breed for. And 1 last question, how come none of you talk about all the "unwanted children" in the world, like you talk about the pets? My guess "ignorance".

April 14, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  37. BP

Not all breeders are bad, and they have a place. While getting a pet at a shelter is great, there are reasons to get from a breeder as well. The fact is, different breeds behave differently, shed differently, and have different problems. If you are looking for a particular behavior from your next dog, the best way of getting what you are wanting is to choose a purebred that is known for that type of behavior. For me, I love Shelties. They are great dogs. They are adorable, and very very smart. That makes them very easy to train. They are a good size for a household pet as well. For me, if I weren't getting a Sheltie, I wouldn't get a dog at all. So in my case, you can't claim that a shelter dog will die because I got a Sheltie. I don't understand why some people are so closed minded, and think that just because they don't have a reason to get a specific purebred dog, that nobody else should either. It's really quite ridiculous.

April 14, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  38. Denise

Breeders, what is so wrong with getting a dog from a breeder? I know there are many animals that are in shelters, but not everyone needs to or wants to get their "family" pet from a shelter.
    This poor breeder is getting hate mail, death threats and for what reason? Breeders not only do it as a way to earn a living but also for the love of the breed.
    Personally, people should learn to mind their own business, instead of insisting on minding everyone elses.

April 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  39. shate98

Breeding is not illegal and until it is, people- all people, even elected officials, have a right to purchase an animal from a breeder. If you don't like it then donate money and supplies to your local shelter and write to your elected officials to have the laws changed. I have owned both shelter animals and purebreds and there are benefits to both, as with the Obamas needing a hypo-allergenic dog which they could not find in a shelter.

April 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  40. JW

It's a sham really. We need to step up our efforts to destroy the unwanted pets so people can buy the expensive ones. Who wants a next to free one when you can spend $1000s for a no good K-9 companion.

April 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  41. Elizabeth

If I want to get a dog from a breeder, I choose a reputable breeder for a certain kind of dog. That means a breeder who doesn't do it for the money but the love of the breed. One who only breeds a few litters a year (and no dog has more than 1 litter a year) and retires female dogs by the age of seven by having them spayed. They then either are placed with families that adopt them to be loving family pets or they were co-owned to begin with and they never have to breed again. The same goes with stud dogs. My dogs are members of my family and my breeder has the same philosophy. Puppies are raised in her house until they go home with me so that they are socialized with humans. It's nothing like a puppy mill. To say that all breeders are alike and that they are all puppy mills is disgusting. Ours is a loving family of people who have a deep love for labrador retrievers. The dog that I have coming in June is a pure bred puppy. I have had mutts from rescue before. I have also fostered for lab rescue so dogs wouldn't be killed. I love those dogs. But this time I want a pure bred yellow lab pup. I love the breed and I want to start off brand new because my husband has never had a dog before. Maybe later a second dog will be from a rescue. But people have the right to make their own decisions. I give a lot of money to the ASPCA each year in donations to save the lives of these animals that result from irresponsible owners who do not spay or neuter and think they can just throw away a pet. I take the time to invest in training and my dogs are members of my family. Put the blame where it should be not on people who get dogs from responsible breeders who have spay/neuter clauses in their contracts. Puppy mills are horrible. Responsible caring breeders are not.

April 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  42. Susan

You will never see a police dog that is a mutt from the pound or that is from a Puppy Mill. Seldom will you find a "service" dog that is from the pound either. Nor will you find a sheep herder with anything other than a sheep dog like the Border Collie. Police, and others who needs specific characteristics in a dog, must go to good breeders for those dogs. I've had mutts and had AKC purebred dogs. Loved them all. Mutts are often healthier and smarter and make great companions. But I have a G. Shepherd now and needed to know what traits I was getting when I got him – for a reason. There are reasons that reputable breeders exist.

April 14, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  43. lotus

We should use the animals in shelters to feed the hungry. no reason to waste the meat.

April 14, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  44. Liza

I am a pet parent of 4 saved dogs and 2 cats and they are my family. This message is for Lee Haney, stop bringing God into this, I can certainly say that when I hear I child crying(out of the ordinary at a Walmart or some other place) I make it a point to find out why the child is crying. If I sense abuse or that the child is being neglected, I call the police and literally hold the person in place until authorities arrive. Not everybody ignores a child in need, but we are talking about pets and the ignorance of many that the animal does not feel pain or neglect. You need to stick to the subject at hand.

April 14, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  45. Sheryl Zeligson

I was unaware that the VP did not rescue. Its so sad, given the opportunity that both Biden and Obama wasted by not going to breed rescue, a humane society, shelter or other adoption option. It was a tremendous missed opportunity to send a message/set an example similar to what Oprah Winfrey did when she decided to adopt rather than ever use a breeder. Her original show on puppy mills (and her follow-ups) have had more or a positive impact than anyone can ever realize. Having volunteered for over 10 years in rescue (and adopted 4 dogs over that period), I can attest to the fact that shelter dogs, whether purebred or mutts, are the best! We get people all the time at my rescue asking about their options, and in particular mentioning what they saw on the Oprah WInfrey Show or things they'ver heard about specific chain stores, like Petland Discount (which was revealed to be involved with puppy mills in a wonderful report by the Humane Society.. With so many wonderful pets so desperate for loving, permanent homes, I only wish more people understood the need is so great for adoption as the very first option! I voted for Obama/Biden hoping for a fresh start–i have to say i'm more than dissapointed - and I'm well aware there are far greater issues right now on their plates, but again–what a missed opportunity for both to have set a positive example by not using a breeder when so many are euthanized so needlessly.

April 14, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  46. Angel

He is within his rights to do as he pleases and get whatever dog he wants. Thats the beauty of living in a free Democracy such as the one we have here.

I am appalled that someone could be harrassed to the point of receiving death threats for running her (legal) business, whatever it is.

"He should do this, he should do that."!!! What is this nonsense? Mind your own business, and let people be as long as they're working within the law.

Don't like shelters and feel bad for the dogs? Hey, good news, nothing in the constitution is preventing you from buying a huge ranch, makin a non profit business and taking in all the dogs yourself? Be a hero, save them from their certain and impending death. The same constitution, allows someone like Biden to buy a puppy of his choosing.

April 14, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  47. Ron Straub

I can't believe people are actually harassing this woman for breeding dogs. Just because there are dogs in shelters is no reason for a reputable dog owner to not breed their own dogs. Following the logic of this arguement, there are also to many people in this world but we still let people breed and it's the dumb ones that keep having the kids. Maybe there should also be a law that no one can have kids until all orphaned children are adopted. That would be the same idiotic logic that these others came up with about taking shelter dogs first.

April 14, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  48. janne

PETA have nothing better to do rather than threating others, who own a business and make money doing so. My aunt in Scandinavia makes expensive furs and her business was ruined. These people did all they could to stop her from making furs. We had cameras mounted in the store front to catch the thugs, but they still continued. Now that they moved away from the city, she is now able to continue her quest on a smaller scale at home for her clients that knows of her success.

April 14, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  49. M

@ jj Quakers don't run puppy mills. I think you meant Amish.

April 14, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  50. Christine

I understand peoples passion but take a step back. If I adopt a dog from a shelter, what am I getting? I have no idea of temperment, health or anything else on that dog. I wish there was a better way to track it, but there is just not. If I buy a puppy from a breed that I have heavily researched to be the right fit for my family and lifestyle, what is wrong with that. If I go to a breeder, I usually get to meet at least one of the parents and see the general trend of the siblings.

And seriously!!! Death threats against animal lovers!!! I don't get it.

April 14, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  51. LM

Animals deserve more respect than most people.

Breeders should be treated like their animals.

April 14, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  52. Henry Miller

One of the worst failings of the human race is the inability of many of its members to mind their own damned business!

Don't like dog breeders and prefer a pound puppy? Fine–have at it. But other people's preferences are none of your bloody business!

And, for that matter, don't like guns? Then don't buy one–but it's none of your business if other people do.

Don't like abortions? Okay, don't have one–but it's none of your business if other people do.

Why is it that the world's busybodies always want laws passed to impose their opinions on everyone else?

April 14, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  53. >_< People Eating Tasty Animals

Juliet- your ignorance is appalling.

Trying doing a little research before making sweepingly inaccurate comments about the percent of animals euthanized annually. You're off by a little over a million animals total.

Back in the day, PETA had an interest in animals and their well-being and they did seem to fight against mistreatment. They were still a wacky crew, but not as bad. Today- they push an agenda that seeks self-gratification more than it does any good. They've more than served any purpose they could have ever had. Animals don't have any "rights" nor do they deserve any BUT they do deserve to not be mistreated or abused.

The only remaining benefit to PETA- At least they still have Pam Anderson to pose for them... But even she's an old show.

People Eating Tasty Animals...

April 14, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  54. Val

Um, its not the "reputable" breeders fault. It is the fault of the irresponsible breeders and backyard breeders and those irresponsible human beings that dont bother to spay or neuter their pets that s the problem. They account for the current problems that now exist with the shelters.

April 14, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  55. Alan

If you want a pound puppy, great, go get one. If you want a purebred, great, go get one. I am sick and tired of libs and consv. who think that their way is right and everyone should do as they do.

This is America isn't it. Live and let live!!!!

April 14, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  56. Bow

That is the beauty of America. You are not FORCED to adopt some half-breed in a shelter that has learned bad habits. You are FREE to buy your own puppy and raise it and train the way you want it trained. That is the beauty of America, you have that freedom to choose. Not these PETA freaks who try to force their way down your throat. They are as bad as the vegetarians. If you don't like it then don't do it. No one is forcing you too, so don't try force others to live your way.

Have you ever seen Year of the Dog? Some of these posters in here remind me of Molly Shannons Character. Absolutely delusional.

April 14, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  57. Liz

Those comments about adopting a dog from a breeder being a death sentence for strays and shelter dogs is offensive to me. I volunteered at a shelter for many years and also as a behaviorist as well. I was a member of APDT for many years and attended numerous dog behavior training seminars, so I was more than just a casual volunteer.

Shelter dogs come from home breeders who breed dogs to make a buck, puppy mills and dogs that are dumped by irresponsible owners. They do not come from reputable breeders whose interest is in maintaining the integrity of a specific breed of dogs. Such breeders never adopt out to the public without a contract specifying return of the dog to the breeder if the new owner can not keep it.

I am saddened by those who would rather see dogs with significant behavior issues foisted onto unsuspecting families with children, then to have such a dog humanely euthanized. Many shelters have figured out that it is far more humane to adopt out only the dogs which have passed rigorous behavioral assessments.

The aggressive or emotionally damaged dogs which do not do well in the average home should be given a chance, if possible, however it can be far more humane to euthanize such a dog rather than sentence the dog to an unending cycle of abandonment and abuse.

Pet overpopulation comes from public ignorance and those just looking to make a buck off the backs of innocent domestic animals. Animal cruelty regulations and breeding license laws need to be strictly enforced along with public education on neutering and spaying pet dogs. I have taken in, and loved, my share of unadoptable dogs, and I will not feel the least bit guilty if my next dog comes from a reputable breeder. If you really care, you will donate to your local shelter and support their public outreach efforts.

April 14, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  58. Brad

Some of you people would have me ROFLOL if it wasn't so sad. Breeding dogs from the same breed is inbreeding?! Are you KIDDING ME?! Somebody's inbred, but it ain't the dog.

This country has lost what shred of common sense it had left. I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals; abusing animals in any way is reprehensible. I'm all against those lunatics at PETA. Anyone who goes around saying that buying a dog is killing another one at a shelter...wow, you've got issues; go see a therapist as soon as possible, creep.

April 14, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  59. Austin in Chicago

While this woman should not be blamed because others can't/won't spay or neuter their pets, I'm confused as to why there's even a demand for "purebreds". People who talk about "retaining purity" among HUMAN ethnicities are considered racist psycho wackjobs. But it's OK to build entire lifelong careers out of doing this with animals?

If you love animals, isn't that enough? Why do we have this tendency to get fixated on any particular breed, or have "favorites"?

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  60. Jeanne

While there are fine dogs to be had from animal shelters, there are also many that are entirely unsuitable to become family members and that arrive with problems that will plague the adopter for years. One simply does not know what one is getting from an animal shelter, what kinds of issues the previous, possibly abusive, owner has created. It is not always easy to move on with a dog that is noisy, destructive, inappropriately protective,an inveterate escape artist, etc. Not that one can always predict with a purebred, but at least one has the opportunity to meet the parents and observe the puppy's early environment. Over centuries people have bred dogs for specific purposes–there are more types of dogs than of any other domestic animal. The purebreds have a history and a purpose and certain breed characteristics, and they are thus interesting. They also are attractive–there is a certain pleasure in having an animal that meets a standard, just like having a lovely piece of crystal, or a painting by a famous artist. Why have an ugly painting on your wall when you can have a copy of a beautiful thing? It amazes me that leftwing organizations have managed to persuade such a large contingent of overly emotional people that it is somehow more moral to adopt a shelter animal than to buy and love a purebred dog. Have the shelter animal if you wish, but let others do as they wish. I am offended by people who attempt to dictate morality to me.

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  61. Emily

M,

Yes for real. I don't think I stuttered. A horrible leason? Please! The dog bit my small child! I'm sorry but I can't tolerate that. We kept the dogs four days after the bite and it continued to be aggressive despite our best efforts to change him. Your comparison is silly. I don't consider a biting dog to be anywhere near in the same ball park as an abused child.

I did what was right for MY family. You do what's right for yours.

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  62. Wyatt

There is a huge difference between a reputable breeder (whether this woman is one or not) and a puppy mill. Standards are set for recognized breeds by the AKC and breeders breed to meet these standards. Puppy mills breed indiscriminately to satisfy a fad in most cases (like Dalmations after each movie came out) or to make fad mutts like labradoodles, pugapoos and the like. Pit bulls are loving, gentle dogs, until irresponsible breeders breed them for viciousness and then the breed as a whole gets a bad reputation and the reputable breeder has to wean this tendency. Yes, there are too many strays that need homes, but you are rarely going to find a purebred stray that came from a responsible breeder because there are contracts signed, lots of money exchanged and many of these dogs come from championship lines – so both breeder and buyer have a fair amount invested and it is rare that a dog of this caliber will be abandoned to a shelter. Also, most breeder contracts (again, reputable) will have a clause that allows the breeder to reclaim the dog if there is abuse or if the buyer can no longer care for the dog and the owner likewise pledges to contact the breeder in case of a problem. Thus someone who has his heart set on a specific breed may not be able to find such an animal regardless of how doggedly he searches. Further, adopting a dog can also lead to heartbreak and danger as you often don't know the dog's line and the animal could have poor genes that lead to early disease/health issues or viciousness. Responsible breeders try to breed out these characteristics. Calling to an end to breeding by responsible breeders is an ill-thought out knee-jerk reaction to a larger problem. Tighter regulation is certainly a step in the right direction to weed out the irresponsible breed of breeders.

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  63. AP

Rick is the smartest individual on here, kudos to you sir, I agree... Humans should have a permit to breed. Sidenote: isn't CNN a more "liberal" network than, say, FOX News? Shouldn't Fox News be running this story?

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  64. Lassie

I'm sick of seeing people putting all breeders into one group. I know breeders out there that will take back the dogs they bred and sold if the owner can not or will not care for the dog anymore. So please stop the generalization.

PETA has turned into a an extremist group for animals. Just like all other radical goups, their view is a little skewed. Yes we all agree animal cruelty exist and it is immoral and unethical, but any rational individual will not break into a lab and release all the animals.

PETA is the same organization that is against seeing eye dogs or any type of dogs that may assist the handicap.

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  65. KC

I really feel sorry for this woman. This should not be a choice between a shelter dog or no dog. It is also important to maintain the history and genetics of all breeds and that is the function that good breeders serve. Adopting a rescue dog is NOT for everyone. We have rescued 2 German Shepherds fro our local sheter over the years and each one had many issues that only experiencesd dog handlers

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  66. Tim

I will always get a dog from a breeder. I will get the dog I want, and I will keep it for the duration of it's life. I don't see where people get off blaming reputable breeders for the shelter problems. Any reputable breeder *will* take back any dog they have sold rather than have it be abandoned. If your dogs are in a shelter somewhere, you are not a reputable breeder.

The people who are out saying things like "all breeding is irresponsible" are seriously ignorant.

Perhaps if people couldn't just go to the mall and get a dog there wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps if a dog was something more than a status symbol, there wouldn't be a problem. There'd be no puppy-mills if people weren't in the market for cheap, poorly-bred dogs.

There is an obvious quality difference between well-bred and poorly-bred dogs. You can see it in their health, you can see it in their training, and you can see it in their eyes. There are a lot of dogs in shelters, but a lot of them really aren't good dogs. Not their fault, but true nonetheless.

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  67. Mutt Owner

Josh has it right. Focus on being an American and respecting everyone's freedom of choice. Inhumane treatment should be the target of anyone's anger rather than selecting a prefered breed. While the euthanization of animals is unfortunate, it doesn't have to be everyone's battle cry. This appears to be a good breeder and should be treated as such.

April 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm |
  68. William

This woman isn't a reputable breeder. She's running a puppy mill. There's a big. big difference. VP Biden should have looked elsewhere for a dog. I will buy a pedigreed dog or a cat from a breeder who maintains a small, carefully managed husbandry program and who really cares about the integrity of the breed. This woman does not qualify.

April 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  69. Tracey

If organizations like PETA did what the name implies, insist animals be treated ethically, I would agree with them. Never mind Betty White gushing over her pets, PETA's goal is to eradicate pets altogether. As for over run shelters with high euthanasia rates, some shelters are actively looking for pet dogs to meet the demands for such dogs in their communities. Recently there was an article on the news telling about dogs from Puerto Rico being brought into the local shelters. Many of the euthanized dogs (no, not all of them) tend to be pit bull type dogs.
    I used to go to dog shows with one of my dogs. Folks were having to padlock the crates they used for their kennels at the shows, and chain the crates to something solid like a decorative pillar. Why? A PETA do-gooder was "Giving the dogs their freedom" and turning them loose. One of them was crushed in traffic before its owner could find it. I'm sure it really 'enjoyed' its freedom...

April 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  70. Ghost

Everyone against this poor woman should be ashamed of themselves. Just because she breeds a particular breed for money, doesnt make her a bad person. She sounds like she breaks her back to keep up. PETA- grow up. We have strays because people decide not to spay or neuter there dog/cat. Plus the people that cant afford their animal, decide to throw them on the street. You don't want a good car to find it with a salvaged title. I don't want a dog thats been into things and could have gotten something. I want to know where it's been. People. Let it be what it is. These days, everyone is out to point the finger at someone. You point and you have 3 fingers pointing back.

April 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  71. Mike-former Petland GM

In response to Juliet who said, "The problem here is that there is NO reason for people to be breeding dogs, regardless of how well they take care of them." That's the craziest thing I have ever heard. That's like saying people shouldn't be having kids. Pets make life better. They make us more loving and caring. They help families stay together. They ARE our family. Why would it matter if we got them from a pound or from a breeder? It's a freedom that we have. I personally would rather select a puppy from a breeder (As long as they were a responsible breeder who takes care of their facilities). This way I can select from a group of them, decide which color I want, which markings, which ones I think are cute. We all have different opinions on cuteness. Then I can raise that puppy into a wonderful loving pet that will make my life andtheirs a lot better.

April 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  72. Tasty

These are dogs. If we have too many pets, we should sell them to Korea (helps the economy) or some other country that consider them a delicacy (or just plain good eatin'). Then we can help end world starvation, too. Just a thought....

April 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  73. Joe

People flipping out about breeding being immoral and how everyone should adopt a dog are absurd. Mind your own business. If you want to adopt a do go ahead, but there isn't a chance that I will ever get pound dog. Simply put- you don't know what you are getting. It could be a perfect dog or it could be a disaster. I've sen it go both ways.

I'll take my pure bread 100% Siberian Husky who doesn't bark, but howls quietly, will never hurt anything, looks beautiful (better than any pound dog EVER), and was raised in a caring loving environment by a respectable breeder.

Why would I want a scared little mutt dog who most likely isn't even a puppy? That would be like buying a beat up old car instead of a mercedes after winning the lottery.

April 14, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  74. Kimberly

Juliet, Bridget, and Others,
    It is not irresponsible to breed dogs if the owners take care of them. It's the irresponsible pet owners who abandon dogs or don't spay/neuter them that cause the thousands of animal deaths every day. I have terrible allergies and cannot tolerate dogs with fur. I looked for 8 months (!) at rescues and animal shelters for a bichon frise (I would also have taken a small poodle). There were no animals that fit my criteria. If there had been, I would have gotten one. I love the dog that I *bought* and am thankful that there was a breeder who produced such a sweet and loving pup.

April 14, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  75. sickofthelibs

Once again it comes back to personal responsibility. I don't care if you want a purebred dog-that's the beauty of FREEDOM OF CHOICE in this country.

Personally I would never buy a puppy from a breeder who's keeping 80 dogs-how do you give each one attention daily???

What I find funny is you liberals who are supporting this. If it was a republican you'd be screaming bloody murder

April 14, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  76. partgypsy

It would be nice if the VP and the president got shelter dogs to send the message, please adopt rescue dogs!
    But when it comes down to it people don't get pets to make a political statement, they get one that they feel will best be a lifetime companion and fit into their family. We have always gotten rescue animals. Some have worked out stupendously. Some have not. My parents in law always get dogs of a certain dog breed. They also like the predictability of eating at McDonalds and always stay at a Marriot. Maybe I disagree with that but to tell you the truth it's really their own personal business. Having PETA jump down the throat of a responsible dog breeder is not going to make them change their mind.
    If you are concerned there are so many things that can be done locally to help with the pet overpopulation and neglect, for example a local group in my town are collecting money to build fences so dogs will not be tethered. Many vets collect money so you can sponsor to have dogs spayed/neutered. All of these are much more productive than criticizing the VP's family dog choice.

April 14, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  77. sean

Wow, I really hate PETA. Not only because they believe that all people breed dogs for is money (not true!) But also because they support BSL (breed specific legislation) gues what PETA, if I am a responsible loving owner and want to own a pit bull or rottweiler I don't see why you should have any say. Just because the media and cinema demonize these breeds, it doesn't mean it is not blown out of proportion.

April 14, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  78. Jayne

I'm so glad to see the posts of so many responsible animal lovers. There is no such thing as a responsible breeder. Anyone breeding animals while millions are euthanized and abused every year is exploiting animals.

The argument that it is morally right to churn out dogs and cats because God put humans in control of animals is not an argument, just an excuse people use when they have zero critical thinking skills.

Every litter hurts.

April 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  79. John

Isn't the solution really quite simple? Everyone who's complaining about all the poor dogs in shelters, simply needs to march right down to your local shelter, take your own advice, and adopt a dog (if you've already got one, adopt another.) Problem solved!

April 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  80. lisaspups

I do not believe that all breeders are bad. There are many that are responsibile, loving, caretakers, and there are those that are not. That said, as long as dogs/cats are being euthanized in county shelters, there should be a moratorium on breeding, period. To do otherwise is a study in human selfishness.

As a last word, it is really frustrating to me when comments are made to the effect that non-humans are treated better and/or receive more publicity than humans when it comes to abuses. Humans have a lot more rights and protections than non-humans, and a lot more advocates working on our behalf. To say otherwise is absolutely ridiculous.

April 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  81. logical

Wow, I don’t think I should read posts like this because it shows me how many crazies there are in the US…

To the vast majority of people who thinking breeding dogs is evil… If we use your line of reasoning, the US should outlaw couples from having their own children until all of the orphanages are clear and all children are out of foster care…?

To say there should be no breeders is just as wrong as a puppy mill that abuses animals. Everything in life should be balanced. Absolutes are for fools.

April 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  82. Mobius

This is all PETA's doing. When will the uneducated learn that PETA is nothing more than a political organization which openly employs terrorist tactics?

Kinda like the IRS.

April 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  83. Loridoke

Its a sad, sad day when people can't even raise registered dogs without all these ISSUES being made of it. I have one purchased registered dog and 2 rescues. there is room for both. and PETA, they are not animal lovers, they are radical wierdos.

April 14, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  84. Barbara

I have a fairly rare breed and I would not have been able to find him except through the breeder. He had 40 dogs on his acreage and I saw no sign of bad treatment. They all had dog houses, lots of room to run and play. Nice set up. I also have a chow. I would not rescue a chow as you would no nothing about the parents. With chows it is a good thing to find out as much as you can. My first chow was a witch but my second chow is the most loving animal that I own right now. And yes, my babies are just that – my babies.

April 14, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  85. Jessica

Lee Haney,
    Yes God gave us dominion over animals, but that doesn't mean we are to mistreat them. As for you starting on the starving kid thing..that's off the subject, but if you want to go there, then start by asking the former Pres. why he felt the need to spend our $$ overseas & not to help our own here in this country or start helping them yourself, adopt some as my family does. Quit complaining & do something if you want to see change.

April 14, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  86. Gail

Come on, people–read the article thoroughly. She says that most of the 80 adult dogs on the property WERE breeders and are now pets. It doesn't say she breeds those 80 dogs. I commend her for keeping them as pets; the puppy mills would find some way to get rid of the dogs once they were no longer used for breeding. Sounds like she cares and is conscientious. Unless you've been to the facility, don't judge.

April 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  87. TED RICKENBACH

WHY WOULD THE STATE PULL AN INSPECTION OF THIS BREEDER SHORTLY AFTER THE VP PICKS HIS PUP? SOUNDS POLITICAL.

April 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  88. Sheila

From The Ranger, above: "PETA is an organization of maniacs and people who value animal life over human life. What do this people think they are going to get, right for animals to vote? Give me a break, this is what is wrong with the world, we give these organization credence by allowing them to just go on as they are. What ever happened to “our own personal life?” First PETA asked the PET Shop Boys to change their name to the Shelter Boys? What gives them the right to do that? We have allowed groups like this to alter our way of life and make us change how we show our beliefs. I think it is time that America takes back its testicles and starts putting these out spoken misguided and just crazy organizations back in their places. I think it is time for Americans to take back America"
    NOWHERE will you ever see that Peta wants animals to vote. The Pet Shop Boys story was just a publicity gimmmick to get people to think about buying pets in stores rather than adopting. The "Buy one kill one" slogan is absolutely on target. Do something for people and use your (allegedly superior) human brain.

April 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  89. Mary C

After trying to adopt an adult cat from a shelter last year, I can honestly say that not all shelters are willing to have their residents adopted! They would not let us adopt because our cat at home was declawed (given to us that way). No other reason. They were rude and thought it better that the animal remain in a cage than have a home.

So, don't be so quick to say the onl;y way to get a dog or a cat should be thru a shelter!

April 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  90. Say What?

How many homeless children are out there and yet idiots continue to produce more? Who am I to tell you not to reproduce and to adopt? Hopefull these PETA people will stop reproducing since they are only contributing to over population of human beings. Many speak of these genetic diseases yet humans with vision problems, diabetics and other health issues continue to reproduce. PETA screams: Oh my lets not crop ears or tails on a dog because it is only for cosmetic reasons bet yet they continue to circumcise their boys and pierce their daughter's ears. Ultimately you have the decision as where and from whom you purchase a dog from. Maybe as humans we need to take responsibility for our own actions and stop blaming others. If you continue to purchase from pet stores you are contributing the pet mills. Start taking responsibility for impulse buying and stop blaming responsible breeder for all problems associated with the dog world.

April 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  91. Sharon

What's wrong with dog breeding if it's done with love?? If people were responsible pet owners then there wouldn't be a need for dog shelters...people need to SMARTEN up and SPAY and NEUTERr their animals..yet, these people don't.. but they get to vote!! No wonder our last 8 years were hell on earth!! And then these Yahoos threaten the dog breeder and VPJoe Biden with death!!!! Probaby the same people who think they are "holier than thou" because they are anti abortion but they supported a president who killed over 4000 of our soldiers and thousands of iraqi civilians for his own greed!! Such Hypocrisy!!

April 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  92. michael

stop intaginizing the breeders and start on the people that buy dogs and have no intentions of breeding there dogs and dont have them spayed or neutered those are the dogs you see comeing in to shelters most of the dogs bought from breeders never end up in shelters its the dogs offspring that end up in shelters because of the owners irresponceibility so dont blame the breeders blame yourself or others and dont expect people to go adopt a mix breed because of someonelses irresponciblity so chew on that for a while

April 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  93. Thomas

Why is this news?

Was there so little going on in the world that CNN had to track down this crackpot woman and talk about how her soul is affected by dogs?

This "News Organization" loses more and more credibility each week. At this point I would rather get my news from John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

April 14, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  94. Norm Davis

There are dog breeders because people like particular types of dogs that are not available at a shelter (you will not find a Yorkie at a city shelter). I do agree there are many used animals that should be adopted. By the same token no one should buy a new car from GM, or a new house from Toll Brothers since there are so many used cars and older homes available. This is America and you have the 'right' to buy what you want with your money. If PETA is responsible for giving the breeder these headaches, they are very wrong – trying to impose their 'religion' on others and making life difficult for some. My dogs came from a rescue shelter that handles the type dog we wanted, but I considered a breeder too.

April 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  95. JT

1. Watch Penn and Teller Show "BullSh**" on PETA. Its just another overgrown organization that is run on completely brainwashing and grossly twisting facts solely for their puropose. (MADD is another one that is even worse, without getting into the fact they are considered one of the poorest run "non-profit" in the US...now that is a fact)

2. I love how people have considered 80 adult dogs as too much and that equals a puppy mill. I guess she should just start giving them away to a shelter so she can bring them down to maybe 20 adults....cuz there are so many adults that get adopted these days.

3. Leave abortion out of this....this has nothing to do with abortion. I love how these comment boards have people that go so far off of the argument.....its like fighting with my gf, abortion has nothing to do with the article or the issue here. Unless you include the all the great vigilante pro-lifers that send become domestic terrorists. (Like PETA)

April 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  96. Sharon

April 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  97. Linda

This is AMERICA. We have choices, I have gone to the local shelter attempting to get a dog for my mother. They made her fill out all this paper work (adoption papers) references required, they were going to come to her home to see if she was going to be ALLOWED to adopt .
    Plus pay $200.00 for a dog that they could not tell her how old only around 3 or 4 years old , what it was mix with (it has some beagle) sorry, I would rather go to a good breeder, know how old, check out the parents, and not deal with the bull! This poor women was harrased by the so called BLEEDING HEARTS FOR ANIMALS. These people have no problem harrassing people for their cause. They take it was to far. I call the EXTREMIST! Just my opion and yes I can have my own opion THIS IS AMERICA!

April 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  98. AndyL

I guess socialism, enviromentalism etc are things you preach and do not practice. Why can't these high class democrats get a animal from a shelter? Many of these unwanted dogs would make great pets once properly trained, but not the greatest status symbol.

April 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  99. Merry

Pennsylvania is well-known to have many puppy mills, which is exactly what this woman is running.

Want a GSD puppy, Biden? Come with me to any shelter in the country and we can find you all the German Shepard pups you want. The pounds kill them – and they kill the mothers as well, because there is no space to house the mama and babies until the babies are weaned. And they figure no one will want a lactating mother. So they're all doomed

And – weaned doesn't just mean that they can eat on their own – it means that they are old enough and big enough to be spayed and neutered – something puppy mills like this woman's do not do.

This is hideous. Both the President AND the VP are acting like the privileged, entitled white men that they are. Pound pups aren't good enough for them or their progeny. They think they have to buy from breeders and therefore are getting "better" animals. What they're getting are inbred (mother to sons, fathers to daughters, etc.) dogs who probably have not been tested for or bred to eliminate genetic disorders that are common to the breeds.

This is just so wrong. How on earth can the leaders of the US be so clueless???? Oh – I forgot – we just had 8 years of George Bush and Dick Cheney.

These two jokers aren't any better, it seems.

The ironic thing is that Obama actually made a campaign promise to adopt a shelter dog. Throwing money at the "Humane Society" is a joke. It might assuage the Obama's guilt, but does nothing about the fact that a shelter dog WILL die for each of the breeder dogs bought by Obama and Biden.

Disgusting.

April 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  100. Donna

I saw that someone said making a living off of reproducing an animal is disgusting.....what do they think all livestock breeders do? Where do they think all of our milk,cheese,butter, yogurt,eggs,hamburgers, steaks,roasts, chops,wool materials....literally everything we humans need for our existence...come from? And....all our companion animals..dogs, cats,horses, on & on....all from breeding livestock.

April 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm |