American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 14th, 2009

Biden puppy haunts breeder

CNN's Alina Cho reports on the backlash received by the breeder who sold Vice President Biden his puppy.

From CNN's Melissa Morgenweck

There was no need to ring a doorbell when we pulled up to the Wolf Den kennel in Chester county Pennsylvania. At least a dozen German Shepherds announced our arrival.

Linda Brown greeted us and introduced us to the pack including her favorite, 13 year old Hans. Most of the dogs in this section had once been breeders. Now she keeps them as her personal pets.

They are just one grouping of the approximately 80 adult dogs that she says live on her property. “German Shepherds look into the mirror of your soul. They are intelligent and protective and your animals for life.”

Brown told us that she had been up since 4am helping deliver a litter of puppies. “They like to give birth in the middle of the night when it’s quiet and still.”

As we toured the property Brown recalled the day last December when Vice President Biden came to pick out a dog. “He picked the puppies up and literally kissed them all over. And when he did finally select his puppy he just wouldn’t let him go.”

But Brown says she has paid a big price for the publicity. Soon after the visit she claims she received death threats from animal-rights groups. Dog wardens from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture also made multiple visits to inspect her kennels. (The state told one of our producers that inspections typically take place twice a year.)

Brown was cited for poor record keeping, dirty housekeeping and mistreating her dogs. Last month she was cleared of all citations. “It hurts the depth of your soul that they would even have the nerve to call me and tell me that I’m inhumane with my dogs. My dogs are treated better than most children are treated.”

Filed under: Controversy
  1. Adam

They're animals, not people. Chill out.

April 14, 2009 at 3:09 pm |
  2. loyal2no1

To the self righteous, holier than thou folks who want to criticize those for getting a pure bred dog, I would say that there are families out there who are looking for a pet with a predictable temperment, size, etc. Often times with a mix breed, you have no idea what you are getting. Certain dogs need more exercise than others, some breeds don't do so well with children. Frequently, a shelter cannot identify the mix of breeds in the dog, and even if they can who knows which traits will be dominant or recessive?

The RESPONSIBLE pet owner will do their research and find a breed that is right for them and their family so that the dog is a cherished friend and not a decision they regret.

If you have the flexibility to get a mix breed stray, then by all means that is a great thing to do. But not all dog breeds are alike, just as not all dog owners are alike. You would think that someone who had worked at a shelter like some have stated they have would know that you can't just pair any stray dog up with any family.

April 14, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  3. Rob Miller

I think the real point here is that this one lady who obviously isn't breeding dogs out of ill will, but rather because she loves working with dogs, was vilainized because she was associated with a politician. Similar things might have happened if he went into a mom & pop computer store to buy a laptop. The owners might have been given hell just for being associated with him. Granted, that's not as "controversial" as the breeding issue apparently is, but still.

April 14, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  4. Laura

Anyone who says that nobody should be breeding dogs because there are ones already alive in shelters has good intentions but I completely disagree.

Should we be vilifying parents who have biological children instead of adopting? If there are kids in foster care, why give birth to more? Would you tell the parents of a newborn that they should be ashamed of themselves because they should have adopted an orphaned teenager?

I got my purebred from a reputable breeder because I wanted to raise a puppy. I didn't want someone else's discarded dog with who knows what kind of physical and emotional baggage. As long as my dog never ends up at the pound, which it NEVER will, it's none of your business!

April 14, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  5. JD responder

JD: The reason is simply that not everyone agrees that fetuses are human lives. If they did, then obviously abortion would be illegal. Most people in the U.S. don't [not by a huge margin, but enough that the law disagrees with your position].

April 14, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  6. VermontJoe

Just answer this question:

Why is it ok to breed animals for profit?

If your answer is "because they are dogs", then you lack the perspective to answer objectively.

April 14, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  7. Lynne

Blame the republicans and their insatiable need for obstructionism and revenge.

April 14, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  8. Crystal

While I agree there are many dogs that need to be rescued, my frustration come from the cost, and hurdles that it takes to rescue many purebred dogs. I recently looked into both German Shorthairs, and German Shepards and found it would cost me more to adopt a purebred dog than it would be buy a puppy. So, we ended up buying a new puppy. Maybe if it were easier, and cheaper to adopt more people would do it...

April 14, 2009 at 3:07 pm |
  9. Joe

This guy GOP hater has literally been on this baord typing the same thing about Cheney shooting dogs for like 3 hours. Get a life dude.

April 14, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  10. Marisa

Stop villifying Obama for not getting a dog from a shelter because for small children it's not very practical, as in the dog could have severe behavioral problems from prior abuse/neglect and attack the children. Also his daughter had a specific medical issue with allergies. So as the responsible parents that they are, they made the right decision for their children's safety and they made a donation the the humane society.

Oh and doesn't PETA destroy most of the cats and dogs they rescue? I mean as an organization that *loves* animals so much, why aren't they out there opening up PETA sponsed kitty and doggy hotels for those that don't get adopted. Or is their budget strictly for buying paint and spewing out propaganda these days?

As a dog owner/animal lover, nothing disgusts me more than people affiliated with PETA.

April 14, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  11. Hebs

How is it MY RESPONSIBILITY to save a dog from a shelter instead of purchasing one that I know won't have health issues, won't turn on my kids, and is they size and type of dog that I want? Why is it always everyone else's job to bail out the millions of people JUST LIKE YOU that didn't want their dog anymore, or couldn't take care of it, or couldn't take it with them, or didn't want to care for the puppies theirs had because they didn't get it fixed? Maybe I don't want a pitbull mix. (one of the most popular breeds in the shelters here in South Carolina) Maybe I want a house dog that can curl up on the couch with me and doesn't require a lot of realestate because I live in an apartment. I can't stand all of the bleeding hearts that feel like they can judge anyone they want because they don't fall within THEIR ideals.

I'm not against adopting dogs. Far from it. I help place dogs. (placed two to a loving home last night) My friend has 10 dogs from a rescue. Another has 15. I however, own a golden retriever that was purchased from a breeder. Because of the way she is, I would love to go back to that exact same breeder and get a new one from the same blood line when mine passes away. How is that wrong? You people need to get over your "holier than thou" attitudes...

April 14, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  12. pete

who's up for some Korean bbq?!?!?!?

April 14, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  13. Chaiah

LN, I agree wholeheartedly. When we adopted each of our pets we made a lifelong commitment to them. My King Shepherd, whom I purchased from a very reputable breeder, has never had a single health issue (except for the ones acquired from bringing our German Shep/Lab mix home from the hospital). I _needed_ a dog for a particular reason and acquired my KS for that reason. She is not only my best friend, but assists me in so many ways as I have suffered 3 strokes at a very young age. When one acquires a pet from a shelter, one never really knows the history of that pet. Shoot, we were given three entirely different stories regarding our GSD/lab mix. Upon bringing him home and having to deal with all his initial health issues and he started feeling better physically, he began exhibiting very aggressive actions towards me – biting me three times. We are patient people and have worked very hard with him – giving positive reinforcement and a lot of TLC. A little over a year later – he is still progressing but we still have some serious issues. When he was neutered, we requested our vet xray his head as we had noticed his shirking away when we went to pet him. Well, lo and behold, he had been beaten at some point and his orbital socket had been fractured. We figure a woman must have beaten him – possibly with a chain as he is terrified of chains.

So, as altruistic as people may want to be in visiting their local shelter, one never knows what one is getting – from behavioral issues to serious health issues. For just once in our 20+ years of marriage, I wanted a dog from a reputable breeder who I knew – as much as I possibly could – would give me a dog with all the qualities I asked for – and I could have her from a pup...

April 14, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  14. lol at animal rights people

There are thousands of kids in foster care or looking for adoption. Anyone who wants their own child is obviously self-interested. Adopt before breeding! Sound stupid? I think it does.

Why is anyone surprised that we kill millions of unwanted animals each year when we do the same thing with millions of unwanted human babies? I am willing to bet that if Americans valued their own offspring more then animals would be treated better too. If you want to save the animals start by banning abortion.

April 14, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  15. beverly

Those who go to breeders are not supporting "puppy mills" but are being careful about choices. Oftentimes,dogs in shelters or are up for rescue are there for a personality reason or an abandonment reason, sometimes, even, having been beaten. In either case, those who want a dog won't really know what they are getting. Selecting a certain breed requires research of both the breed and breeder, a la Kennedy and Obama. If more people did that, fewer dogs would be in the pound. I don't know what to suggest as a solution for puppy mills or abandoned dogs, but please do not criticize those who are careful about their "selection for life," because think about it–that dog will be with the its owners, Obamas and others who are careful and judicious in their choices, for its life span

April 14, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  16. Joe

I find it ridiculous that people immediatelly start blaming breeders for animal shelter problems. Just like everything else, there are good breeders and bad breeders... the ones that breed while controling blood lines and that continuously try to improve the stadard of each breed... such as temperament and character (this for those of you that will try to bash the part of breeding for beauty only). How about for once blaming the people that irresponsibly go pick up dogs from puppy mills (yes the ones that just pump out dogs without any idea of who the owners may be, and without care to bring good balanced dogs to the world). The owners that after a few weeks decide that their appartment is too small to house a dalmatian after their kids watched the disney movie... or the ones that will undoubtedly will be buying tons of labs in the coming months and will be giving them up because THEY... not the breeders... have no clue haw to care for a dog and give up on the responsibility.
    I will buy and care for whatever dog I please... be it from the pound or from a breeder... I decide how much trust I want to put on the anumal that will be part of my family and around my childer for the next 10-15 years... whether it comes from a pound or a breeder it is of nobodys business... and in my case, neither the breeder or I would have no responsibility for the thousands of dogs abandoned by bad owners. The people to blame are the BAD OWENERS AND IRRESPONSIBLE PARENTS THAT JUST WANT TO SHUT THEIR KIDS U P WITH A PUPPY!

April 14, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  17. CHARLIE

Dog breeders breed dogs for the same reason people sell drugs. There is a great demand for them. As long as people are willing to spend $100's of dollars for a pet, there will be animal breeders.

April 14, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  18. Mary

Anyone who does not understand what is wrong with breeding and selling dogs or other animals needs to spend even a few minutes walking through the kennels at their local shelter and meeting all the wonderful dogs of all breeds that will die because there are no homes for them. Please think about adopting an adult pet. You may be surprised at how quickly they become your best friend. As for Obama and Biden, I am disappointed. What a poor example. Bush did a better job of animal avocacy in his press release when their family cat died.

April 14, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  19. Joe

Brad April 14th, 2009 2:32 pm ET

Breeders disgust me, too. Rescue an animal. We have way too many already. There is no reason anyone needs to go pay $800 for a damn puppy with papers. Absurd.
    ______________________

Here are some reasons-

1. I want to go to Alaska and compete in dog sled racing (Siberian Huskies)

2. I want a watchdog (Dobermans)

3. I hunt and want a dog that has skills (Labradors/10 other kinds)

4. I want to know that my dog won't hurt kids (tons of kinds that historically haven't harmed children)

5. I want to know that my dog was taken care of so it doesn't have emotional problems (No clue if it's from the pound).

6. I want a hypoalergenic dog (mutts rarely are)

7. I want a dog that doesn't bark (Siberian huskies for example).

8. I don't want my dog to drool.

9. I want my dog to be beautiful (My husky is better looking than any pound dog in history. She's from a champion bloodline and was literally bred for perfection. Bright blue eyes with perfect markings)

10. I work and need a dog that can be trained easilly and doesn't have ANY prior emotional problems (mutt dogs more often than not are MUCH harder to train than dogs from breeders.

I would continue, but I think my point has been made.

____________
    Swins April 14th, 2009 2:33 pm ET

the words “reputable” and breeder do not belong in the same sentence.
    _______________

What about dog breeders who breed, raise and train dogs for the blind? You do realize that those are bred right? I guess not....

What about breeders who raise dogs to help find people lost in avalanches? Or those who breed and train police dogs to find drugs? Or people who breed and raise dogs to protect their owners? Ir dogs that are bred to find dead bodies or follow scents of missing people?

I would never get a mutt since I've had so much success getting my dogs from reputable breeders. I've seen too many of my friends get mutt dogs that just had issues. Years of training a dog to finally get what I could have had after 3 weeks had I bought from a breeder is not what I desire in a pet.

Why do you think that you rarely see purebreds in the pound? They are almost always better dogs than mutts.

Do you people really put blame on dog breeders (who raise purebreds) for there being lots of mutts in the pound? That's logical....

April 14, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  20. Rob

Leave the poor woman alone! While adopting is definitely noble, there are plenty of reasons to go with a breeder too. First and foremost, it isn't just about getting a "cute" puppy. Anyone who has raised a dog knows that the early puppy months are critical for establishing a relationship, good behavior, etc. I'd never encourage someone not to adopt, but I'm sick of animal fanatics acting like it's the only way. Furthermore, did you adopt your kids, or did you decide to bring more humans into an already over-populated world? There are plenty of great kids in orphanages. While they don't face euthanasia, who's going to adopt them? I find it truly bizarre that people get so worked up over things like dog breeding while ignoring far greater social ills that affect HUMANS.

April 14, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  21. Eric

I have a pure bred 85lb blue American Pittbull Terrier 100% razors edge purple ribbon i bought from a breeder and a mutt lab husky mix whom i found wondering the streets in the winter time. Does that make me like half a monster or what? Oh and by the way she just had 11 puppies last monday!! They are all so cute. Funny things happen when you put a male and female of any species together. Oh and if there werent dog breeders in the world those cute little rescued dogs you guys love so much would be WOLVES! and who wants one of those in your yard?

April 14, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  22. The Professor

Get a grip people!! All of you people who say "go rescue a dog from a shelter" have no idea what the heck you're talking about. Most shelter dogs don't come from responsible breeders (many of whom will include as part of their purchase price a caveat that states that the dog will return to them if the buyer for any reason decides they no longer want the dog). Most shelter dogs come from pet shops – where any impulsive idiot off the street can buy a dog as easily as a new pair of shoes & then decide 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months later decide they'd rather have a cat, or a bird, or a motorcycle. Responsible breeders work very hard to not find the right families for their pups. Unfortunately most of the dogs in shelters are not fit for adoption because of behavioral or health issues. Unresponsible puppy mills are the cause of many of these unwanted dogs sitting in shelters. These are the breeders that should be more fully regulated, licensed and inspected. As it stands, any idiot who decides they want to breed a dog can – with very little oversight. Responsible breeders, like the ones in PA where Joe Biden got his pup, are helping to maintain breed integrity & find good homes for all they're pups. Like all zealots you people jump on any bandwagon you can find and condemn everyone and anything involved with whatever so called cause you decide to take up this week – do some research.

April 14, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  23. LexJeff

Kudos to the Obama and Biden families for taking the time to thoughtfully choose the right pet for their family and not giving in to the leftist fringe elements (read PETA, et al) that supported their election and now somehow feel that they are indebted to them.

Can't wait for the Rescue Shelter Boys new release. Gimme a break and get a life PETA followers!

April 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  24. daniel Clavin

c'mon people, seriously you got to be kidding me. 80-90% of dogs in shelters have pit mixed in. IT's the irresponsible owners of mutts that dont' get them fixed is the problem. Wether a mutt or purebreed spay and neuter your dog. I'm a hunter and I'm not going to find a good hunting dog in a shelter. I'm going to a breeder. Breeders for the most part treat their dogs better than most people treat their kids. This is for all the shelter dogs only comments. You have a young baby or child at home, YOU DO NOT WANT TO BRING HOME A DOG FROM A SHELTER THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN ABUSED OR IS A PIT MIX AND TAKE A CHANCE WITH YOUR CHILDREN. MABYE A PUPPY BUT ANYTHING OLDER THAN A YEAR , YOUR TAKING A CHANCE WITH YOUR CHILDS HEALTH AND WELFARE. TO CALL SOMEONE CRIMINAL FOR BREEDING DOGS IS ABSURD. WHAT'S NEXT ONLY FIFI'S AND FUFU DOGS CAN BE BRED.

April 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  25. D.F Register

Most of the dogs in the shelters are big
    ugly mutts. We are in a nation (used to be that is) where you could do what makes you
    happy.

Breeders sacrifice a lot just to breed dogs.
    No vacations,up all hours helping mothers
    etc.
    Most screen their applicants looking for a good fit.

PETA and the SPCA is taking over the country. More and more breeders are been taken out. Most people want a purebred dog
    and not a mutt.

LEAVE THE BREEDERS ALONE!

Most of the dogs put down in shelters
    are pit mixes,lab mixes etc.

April 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  26. Dan

People need to stop harping on breeders just because there are strays to be found in a pound. The logic just doesn't hold. Breeders are not responsible for the number of strays out there, in most cases its the dog owners that do not spay/neuter or control their pets that are to blame. There are countless children in need of a good home as well. Does that mean a mother who still decide to give birth to children of their own is being irresponsible and selfish? I know its an emotional issue, but that does warrant holding a group of people responsible or to blame when they themselves have done nothing wrong.

April 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  27. Andrew

You people who have a problem with ALL dog breeding are insane. "Every dog sold from a breeder is a death sentence for a stray?" You crazy peacenik liberals really have a problem with the concept of individual responsibility, don't you? A person who maintains a clean and ethical dog breeding facility because of their affection for a particular breed is in no way responsible for the actions of low lives who are putting dogs out on the street.

Expecting every dog owner to clean up the dirty laundry of some low life is unreasonable. Why don't you focus your frustrations at the cause of the problem: people who don't take care of the dogs they have.

April 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  28. MEL

I agree with those saying each dog bred by a breeder represents the death of a perfectly wonderful shelter dogs. Shame on those that breed and those that buy-it is inexcusable. I say it is time to put breeders out of business. One poster mentioned that it is not a money-making venture to breed dogs anyway-so what would the breeders elimination truly hurt?

April 14, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  29. John

Yeah, there's a lot of shelter dogs out there to adopt. What people gloss over is that very often these dogs are damaged goods, traumatized and untrainable. It's hard to adopt a dog out after it is a puppy because it's hard to train a dog past the 8-12 week formative stage. There is a lot that has to be done in the early months of a dog's life, in terms of training and socializing, to make it a friendly and safe family pet. Not everybody can adopt an untrained traumatized older dog from a shelter with behavior and possibly medical problems, and take the time and money needed to get that dog right. An untrained and unsocialized dog is a danger to its owners and to the people and animals around it.

On top of that, the animal shelters in my area have a ridiculous number of hoops you have to jump through in order to adopt from them. If adopting a rescue dog was such a great thing, and if there is such a need for it, then the shelters need to make it easier, and streamline the process.

All that being said, I will continue to donate to the ASPCA, and when I have a home and a yard, I will try to foster a couple dogs until they can be adopted.

April 14, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  30. Sue

It is a matter of personal freedom and choice if a person wants to adopt a pedigreed animal. I have both. There are also millions of children that need adopting yet when did you last critize people for having their own children?

I fully support animal welfare organizations but these animal rights groups won't stop until there are no pets (their REAL agenda by the way) and we're all vegetarians.

We do live in America after all and people should have the freedom to choose their own pets.

April 14, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  31. Vicki

The Obama's did not BUY their dog Bo. Bo was a gift from Sen. Kennedy who also has the same breed. If you want a 'valid' opinion you should at least get your facts straight. I Love Pugs

April 14, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  32. Rob

What is this, the PETA blog ?

April 14, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  33. DebS

For the record, the Obama's Portuguese Water Dog is a rescue. His original family was not able to keep him.

April 14, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  34. schriver

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a purebred dog. I have had three dogs in the last 20 years from shelters and loved every one of them. But I am telling you, you do not know what you are getting from a shelter animal, especially an older dog. If I had young children, I would not risk getting a dog older than 6 months because you will not know if that dog has been abused, improperly socialized, etc.
    Purebred dogs often are noted for certain dispositions. Some are agressive, some are loyal and gentle, some are hyper, some are just pretty. But the point is, you have a good idea of what your dog will be like.
    BTW, for the people who mention PETA, you obviously have no idea what PETA's real stance is. As far as they are concerned, we should not have animals as pets, we should not eat animals, we should not use animal hides, etc.... It is not a question of them supporting shelter animals over breeders.

April 14, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  35. Samantha

People have the RIGHT to purchase their dog from a responsible breeder if they choose. If they don't want to go to the humane society that is their choice. People who spend all of their time telling other people what they need to do with their hard earned money get on my nerve. I have a friend who got several dogs from the human society had problems with each of them. Because most of these dogs are mutts if you have a child with allergies you have to get a hypoallegenic pet. I can understand having a problem with puppy mills, but when you have a breeder who treats their pets like a member of the family you should not have any problem with. I refuse to let Peta or you idiots tell me that I can't go to a breeder to purchase my daugher a dog if I want to. PETA and anyone elsie who have a problem with it kiss.......

April 14, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  36. Tim

My wife just purchased a puppy today from a reputable local breeder. We considered a shelter/rescue dog but didn't want to be subjected to the application, approval process, in home visits, yada, yada, yada. The cost wasn't much more. No wonder there are so many dogs looking for adoption. Also, as a member of PETA (People who Eat Tasty Animals), I object to the above negative comments!

April 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  37. German Shepherd Mom

Continuation... If any of you paid any attention to the lady's set up she had for all of these shepherds, you would have realized it was a very awesome set up!!! And if you paid attention that she doesn't breed all of them, some are just her pets you might think twice before you open your mouths, well maybe not! Those shepherds looked very healthy and happy! I didn't see the signs of a puppy mill! Some of you condemn people who don't get shelter animals but purchase from breeders. What about people who don't have pets at all? Are they bad people too because they don't adopt a pet? My heart breaks for shelter pets! But unfortunately they all can't be saved! I am sorry I had to continue my comment so many times but I was absolutely outraged when I read some of the comments made!!

April 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  38. The Vampire

Adopting nothing but strays is a noble idea. However, certain breeds have certain desirable traits that you can't find in a shelter mutt, so this is unrealistic. If one is looking for a working dog, a pit bull mix from the shelter is not going to be a good herding dog because it was not bred for this purpose. Furthermore, if we stop breeding dogs, soon there will be no dogs at all. Think people! Dogs do not spontaneously regenerate!

I love GSDs and when I get another dog, it will be a GSD from a reputable breeder. Not all breeders are evil, greedy rubes. Painting all with the same brush is a hasty generalization.

I dislike PETA as they are hypocrites. They were found dumping dog carcasses in dumpsters in this state. So much for PETA's no kill policy.

April 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  39. God

Oh, I just love these self-righteous dweebs with more keyboard than brains who think they're so right about every idiotic comment they make on things like this. I didn't make animals for anyone to give them rights, and in fact I never gave any "rights" to anyone I put on this planet. Trying to force your views on this subject on anyone else is only going to get you smackdowned by the other party. And remember, the kind of terrorism you nitwits think you're within your rights to inflict on others can also be inflicted on you. You've been warned.

April 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  40. Sandra

The reason dogs are in shelters is not because of the responsible breeder but because of irresponsible owners. Try to buy a dog from a serious breeder who loves his dogs and see how easy it is. You have to provide much more information than when trying to adopt a shelter dog. You are screened and quizzed and usually the price is high enough to dissuade a person who wants the dog just because of the way it looks or because he saw it in a movie. Most serious breeders make you promise to give the dog back to them if you find one day you can't keep the dog for one reason or another. PETA only works for its own purposes; otherwise, it would be going after puppy mills.

April 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  41. John

All the people saying that people that breed or buy purebreds are evil are being insane. There have been individually recognized dog breeds for hundreds years. These dogs have been bred for certain physical and personality traits for a reason. Someone that wants a particular dog has every right to choose a dog that they will have a reasonable expectation for what the dogs personality and behavior will be like.

Blame the yahoos that wont pay the $100 to get their pet neutered or spayed. Its their fault dogs end up on the streets or in shelters.

April 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  42. Abraham

The Lord God gave Man domain over the animals. That means Man can do whatever he wants to whatever animal he wants. If I want to kick a dog, the Lord God says it is just and right. Animals were created for the use and amusement of all mankind. Obey the Lord God or suffer his wrath!!!

April 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  43. Larry from Chantilly

Responsible breeders protect species. PETA once again has gone over the top and given anumal welfare supporters a bad name.

April 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  44. Another JD

To "JD"

Apples and oranges, but then again, it's always about abortion with you evangelical creeps. Always gotta weave your insane anti-abortion spin into everything, don't you? Thank God you pathetic lot are a dying voting demographic.

April 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  45. Marilyn

I have 4 dogs. 3 of them were rescues. . . 1 from a shelter and the other 2 literally found by the road. My 4th dog is a pure bred Golden Retriever. I looked for a pure bred in shelters and did not find one. I then checked with the breed rescue locally, of which I am a member, and could not adopt one of theirs because I live in a city and the criteria says the dog needs to be in a rural setting with running room. So I drove 16 hours to get my puppy form a good breeder and would gladly do it again. The dog was not bred specifically for me. . .she had already been born when I discovered her. I "rescued" her from an uncertain future if no one wanted her. My desire for a pure bred golden did not equal a shelter death. The dog I wanted wasn't available, so I didn't "pass up" a shelter dog and allow it to die. I have given a wonderful forever home to 4 dogs who were already in this world.

April 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  46. John

There's reputable dog breeders and then there's puppy mills. Don't paint them both with the same brush. Dog breeders ae who we have to thank for many of the breeds we have today, they put a lot of work into selective breeding. I got a beagle-bulldog mix from a reputable breeder, and he's an incredible dog. He's not as much of a slave to his sense of smell as a beagle is, and he doesn't have such a strong tendency to run off chasing after smells. He's also got stronger hips then a bulldog would, and a longer muzzle, so we don't have to clean his jowls. He's smart, he's got an independent and a stubborn streak, and he's tough as nails. We went to shelters, and our cat is a shelter cat, but we couldn't find any dogs there that captured our heart like Tater did.

Add to that the hoops that animal rescue shelters make you jump through, and they really do need to just back off. Half my pets are shelter pets, half my pets are from a breeder, and I donate a lot to the ASPCA every year.

But these militant PETA types are just completely fricking insane, there's no reasoning with them. And I'm a liberal.

April 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  47. Paula

With the staggering number of dogs who find themselves in shelters and worse every year, you'd think that breeders who profit from selling animals would consider a breeding moratorium. Puppy mill operators aren't the folks I'd expect to have a conscience about that but those who claim to love the dogs so much who just keep pumping out puppies to sell are profiting too.

April 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  48. JW

No way is breeding dogs a criminal activity unless we're talking puppy mill. I personally would never buy an animal with a pedigree, preferring instead to save the lives of the wonderful dogs/cats in shelters. BUT, it is a personal choice, and as long as the animal owner provides a good home and alters the animal, then I don't think we should be criticizing. The animal overpopulation situation is just an unfortunate fact, and some cities have a policy of trapping, altering, and re-releasing feral cats. Altering is just the best thing that can be done to any animal, period, to bring down the population. Quite frankly PETA lost all credibility with me when the "sea kittens" story aired anyway. They come off as a group of irrational idiots, probably with good hearts, but too militant to be taken seriously.

April 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  49. G A M

Some of you people are just plain idiotic. First of all, with any important purchase in life, you should do your homework if you're buying a dog from a breeder or from anywhere else for that matter. A dog is part of your family for many years and you should be informed on what you are bringing to live in your home. So choosing to purchase from a well documented and compassionate breeder is smart. I think most of the anger is a crude form of jealousy pushed on breeders and the people who buy well bred dogs, or else just misdirected because you truly don't know the source of your issue. Let's face it, people who buy from breeders do as much population control as those of you who rescue dogs. It's the puppy mills who over produce and irresponsible owners who don't have their dogs fixed that are truly to blame for the countless dogs put down. I know where I live if your male dog isn't clipped, then you have to pay a fee to the city annually. Ironically, the fee is similar to that of the operation fee charged at local humane societies. Do the right thing and stop blaming breeders and start educating retailers and customers about the problem of overpopulation and how to have their new dogs fixed.

P.S. I love my pure bred Border Collie! He's smarter and better looking than any mutt.

April 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  50. Kris Garrison

For those of you who want to adopt shelter dogs, more power to you.

But because I want to go through a breeder, don't assume I am some sort of demon.

I want a puppy, not an older dog. I want to train it from the beginning and know the care and upbringing it has had and to bond with it from the beginning. Dogs have a relatively short life span...Our first dog was 13, our second dog, 9, and our current dog is almost 14, but has significant healh issues including cancer and arthritis. Given the close bond, and how hard it is to say goodby to a loved pet, and the grieving process involved, I don't want to miss 10% or more of my dogs lifespan by adopting an older dog.

I want a dog that i hav some reasonable expectations about the dog's personality and genetics. I want to see its parents and siblings. I want to see where it was born, and how it was handled during the first weeks of life.

I make a big emotional and financial commitment to give my dogs the best home they can possibly have. So I select carefully the breed and the kennel.

That is my preference and my right.

April 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  51. Kirsten

For everyone who is saying horrible things about PETA and their euthanizing process. PLEASE read this: http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/03/why_we_euthaniz.php

There are hundreds of thousands of pets who are abused, neglected and then found by compassionate people who bring those animals to the PETA centers. Often times, they are so badly injured or starved or sick that the only humane thing to do is to put them down comfortably.

The millions of animals put down due to overcrowded shelters are not in affiliation to PETA. However, the breeders are the cause of that, and the people who buy from said breeders.

April 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  52. Delores Boone

Bottom line: This is America. There are some people who prefer and/or need pure breds (ie allergy sufferers) and this is a free country to do so.
    From reading most of the comments it appears the inspection was motivated by politics since this seems to be yet another political issue to some of you blaming "Liberals" for all the puppy mills, etc. All I can say to that is grow up.

April 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  53. KittensAndMutts.Com

80 Adult dogs on a single piece of property? That's a lot of dogs. However, the owner is allowed to breed dogs, and if she is pure-breeding German Shepherds, more power to her.

But let's keep in mind that it's one thing to breed dogs for a commercial venture. It's another thing entirely to not "fix" your dog and let them produce unwanted puppies.

April 14, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  54. Lynn

First of all it is so wonderful to see how many people care about this issue. Second, I like Obama and Biden, but have they ever actually gone to a shelter? If they had, I don't believe their hearts and consciences would have allowed them to leave without at least one dog. Next, I totally agree with the people who criticize ideas such as "preserving the integrity of the breed," etc. Give me a break! Don't tell me you aren't making money off the misery of the animals who, through no fault of their own, get taken to a pound. Because if people did the decent thing, they would adopt animals. They would also adopt children. And to all the idiots out there buying puppies from pet stores: You ought to come out to an Amish puppy mill and see how the dogs live, in chicken-wire "cages" about 3 feet by 3 ft by 3 ft, filthy, miserable, unloved, unhandled, wild, yapping day and night. When they urinate and defecate they do so onto the dogs who "live" beneath them, or onto a contraption where the p... and sh.. slides down to where the Amish clean it off. All in the name of money. To the person who described why she /he wanted a purebred: bet you love telling people how much you paid for it! Bet you think that makes it worth more. But you can't put a price tag on love, or on doing the right thing.
    Stop the insanity! If you want a dog adopt one! If you want a kid adopt one!!!!!

April 14, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  55. Jim Hoffmann

gimmeabreak! you guys get all bent out about a person breeding thier dog and taking the steps to try to insure the puppies will have the proper bloodlines yet it's ok that all these other people obviously let their dogs run loose and get knocked up by any hound around. where's the bashing of these people that did not take care of their dogs to ensure they did not add to the over populations. also so we only adopt then these breed dogs will be left to be alone and that's ok? people that breed professionaly are just fine in my book, as long as they do it right (and plenty do) if you want to adopt, fine then adopt, but don't get all high and mighty against someone who wants a particular breed of dog. i guess my wife and i should never had conceived our own kids, we should have adopted. PETA is joke, if they had their way none of us would own a pet. you guys really want to help this world out? stop worring about what kind of dogs/cats everyone is buying and start looking into the needs of HUMANS. stop drinking the PETA koolaid.

April 14, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  56. German Shepherd Mom

continuation.... I have worked for vets and ALL animals get diseases and such, not just the pure breeds! To Juliet: I tell you what is irresponsible and selfish, is to let your dog go unneutered or unspayed! That is why the shelters are full of unwanted animals!! And to Tom M: you are an ass! "No dog from pound good enough for Biden"! I took that personally since I have a pure breed I purchased from a reputable breeder! When you want the best of something do you go purchase it from a reputable place or do you try to find it at a flea market or yard sale?!?! AND FOR GOD SAKES BEFORE YOU YAHOOS START JUDGING... I AM IN NO WAY COMPARING A LIVE ANIMAL TO MATERIAL ITEMS... I AM JUST TRYING TO MAKE A POINT!! AMEN to Rhonda, Michael, JD and Claudine!! I know there are very poor and unreptuable breeders out there, and yes, they need to be stopped.. but lay off the good, reputable ones! I support ending puppy mills to the fullest! To be continued again....

April 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  57. Kevin

Seriously, leave politics out of this. Everyone, no matter their opinion on the spending bill or TARP or anything else that leads to partisan name-calling, should be united against dog breeders. Maybe they treat them nice, I'm sure some of them love their animals (there are exceptions to every generality), but there is already overpopulation of dogs and cats in this country. Shelters have to euthanize hundreds of perfectly adoptable and adorable animals every year because they don't have the budget or they don't have the space. Shelters have to euthanize thousands of animals every year because of neglect, disease, and other unfortunate circumstances that come from poor care and poor health. Go to the shelter, adopt a loving animal, save a life.

April 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  58. Erik

You ANTI- Breeder people are wrong. Just because there are countless pets needing adoption does not mean you should be blast those who choose to get a dog from a breeder. It's like saying people shouldn't have their own children because there are thousands of kids needing adoption. Talk about having double standards. The point is people want puppies, and pure bred dogs, with specific characteristics. Things that are EXTREMELY rare if not impossible to find in pounds.

April 14, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  59. Berk Demirbulakli

Where I come from, dogs are a delicacy. I eat one every week. Puppies are very tender and juicy.

April 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  60. Gareth Harris

If you read these posts, you seen not only incredible ignorance about dogs and other animals but also the truth to the old dictum that dogs are better than people.

The line of the dogs that I have reach back thousands of years into prehistory. In breeding them, there is no profit other than love of them and their abilities.

Eliminating these dogs will not help the dogs in the pound. Enforcing more severe penalties for loose dogs, abandonment and abuse is needed. Actually, I would enjoy seeing their owners put in a pound for a while.

April 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  61. Dorothy

I, too, have generally 'rescued' my pets. Have had a strange cat or two through the years but no big deal. Four years, ago, we rescued Lily. Now, once an animal comes into my home, he/she becomes 'family' and will always be loved and cared for. Lily is a six year old American Eskimo who acts like she is autistic. Sometimes very sweet but other times she will bite as soon as look at you. We can never have her around small children. She can also be "over protective". While she is a picky eater when it comes to dog food, she loves garbage, ie... dead birds, bones, whatever. Then wrestling this stuff away from her, she generally bites us. She is only six years old but already shows signs of arthritis, kidney disease, eye trouble, hearing loss. We love her and will see it through but she is definetly the most difficult of all animals I've ever owned. Also, turning out to be much more expensive than any other pet we've ever had. In the end, I would rather pay upfront then deal with all I've had since 'rescuing' Lily.
    Living this experience has convinced me that 'resue' is not always the way to go. She is the most volatile and expensive pet I have ever owned.
    If one has small children, limited income and/or limited experience w/pets, adopt from a reputable breeder. It will save you money in the long run and a lot of heartache along the way.
    To all those who criticize those of us who choose to purchase some of our pets : "get a life".

April 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  62. Lee

Methinks quite a few people on this thread (99%) need to do some research on AR & PETA & then come back to comment. You don't even realize that you have fallen hook, line & sinker – the AR groups are out to kill off ALL dogs/cats/pets & you won't catch on until they're banging down your own front door with a search warrant & carting off "Fluffy" to be euthanized that evening.

Do some research, people.

April 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  63. Nick

My wife and I belong to a rescue group for boxers (Boxer Aid and Rescue Coalition). I am amazed at how many animals are at the pound and being killed. Why keep breeding these dogs? All that is happening is that people get these "cute little puppies" who then grow up and need to be trained. Instead of taking time to train the dogs people say they can't handle it and take it to the pound. Breeders make a ton of money off of these animals that are probably going to end up in a pound and eventually killed. Not all breeders are money hungry people; some love their animals and care for them as best as possible, but the majority do not. Trust me, I have helped rescue somewhere around fifteen boxers who all were just tossed aside because people couldn't handle them. Breeders and people who don't spay or nuter are some of the biggest problems.

April 14, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  64. Eric

This is why you PETA folks and animal rights activist folks will never get anything done for your cause. Im all for the ethical treatment of every living thing on this planet not just the cute cuddly things you guys like to lobby for. But you guys go off on random good people just cause they fit some profile of a monster you have built in your tiny little worlds. I have seen some of the most foolish remarks in these comment sections. Dont breed dogs!? Well after PETA has spayed and neutered everything in site and the pound kills all the rest how else would the species survive?

April 14, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  65. Jennifer

Let's clear up some misconceptions here.

Yes, there are some overflowing shelters. The reason many of these shelters are overflowing is because of state or local laws requiring these shelters to keep all animals – even feral cats (unadoptable) and vicious dogs (unadoptable) for extended periods of time before they can be humanely euthanized.

The popular myth is that shelters are overflowing with dogs or cats who can be adopted but simply aren't...not true, at least in most of the cases. If breeders "stopped breeding" because of this myth, very soon there would be no pets for anyone – not to adopt from the shelters, not to buy from the breeders.

April 14, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  66. JO

Many people through their posts demonstrate that they have selected the wrong people for pointing a finger at. Breeders are where new puppies should come from, even if they are mixed breeds.

Our society should not have needed animal shelters in the first place if we were responsible citizens. You are saying, "Do nothing about the irresponsibility of hundreds of thousands of people whose pets populate shelters and make threats to the people that are bringing animals into the world the right way. Come on!

April 14, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  67. TheTruth

Why is the purity of the breed so important? If different breeds were not supposed to have puppies together they would be genetically unable to do so.
    To say that a "breed must remain pure" is no different than saying that a "race must remain pure." Believing that people are better off owning "pure breeds" is like saying that people are better off if they only have children with people of the same race. If a person's lineage contains multiple races is that person of a lower quality than a person who's lineage only contains one race? NO! So why should a dog be of lower quality because their lineage contains multiple breeds?
    How would you feel if someone was in the business of "breeding" pure blood people and putting them out for "adoption" for a profit?

April 14, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  68. Michael

As someone who has both a dog that I got from the pound as well as a pure breed that I got from a breeder, I feel for this poor woman. The animal that I recieved from the pound was a full grown dog that was miss treated by its former owner, she runs at the sight of a news paper and cowers from loud noises but is a very lovable animal. The animal that I recieved from the breeder I purchased because I love that breed of dog and always have and always will. All of these animals that this person breeds are well taken care of and are treated as though they are children of the family. This dog is very lovable and protective of my family as well. When you go to the pound you dont know what you are getting, you may be wanting a corvett when you got to the car dealer but end up with a cluncker because you didnt know the full history of your purchase. I have nothing but praise for this womans integrity and pitty for these poor people harassing her with false and slanderous claims.

April 14, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  69. Tom P

Here's a solution, don't sell your puppies to big government, PETA-loving idiots like Biden and Obama.

April 14, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  70. Karen Hunter

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't...

Animal rights activists are going a bit far. They hate puppy mills, but also hate reputable breeders?? If a person wants to select a pure-bred puppy that they can train and socialize properly they should be penalized?? The only good dog is a dog rescued from the pound? I'm all for rescue dogs ( I have one), but I also realize that rescue dogs also come with unknown behaviors that can be especially difficult for novice owners to deal with. There is no shame in going with a breeder who is professional in their treatment/care of their dogs and making every attempt to maintain a strong genetic soundness of the dogs they breed. Their (animal activists) attempt to discredit anyone recieving a puppy from a reputable breeder merely serves to undermine their goal to dismantle puppy-mills...rather, we need to encourage potential owners to research breeders, be aware of puppy mills, know what to look for, and be responsible in their choices.

April 14, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  71. Karen

Quit blamming the breeders you unfit owners who didnt take care of your animals.They are in shelters or foster care, If you want to do something about how many animals are out there waiting for adoption then go get your pet and take care of it this time!

April 14, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  72. AJ

"Stop blaming the breeders (entirely) and blame AKC. If you want to show a dog in agility or obedience, then they have to be pure bred! If AKC would allow a mixed breed category, then more people would be willing to get one since all they want is a nice dog to run through agility."

There are many other venues that people with mixed-breeds dogs can compete in for obedience, agility, etc.
    Here's a whole list of agility organizations, you'll see many of them let mixed breed dogs compete: http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=62

AKC does encourage people to adopt from shelters by offering the ILP/PAL. Unregistered dogs that appear to be purebred can compete in companion events and earn titles.

April 14, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  73. Awaha

The main problem i notice with PETA is its black and white view of the world. Stop unnecessary cruel testing on animals, get rid of feed farms for sure! How do they succeed in anything they do? They always seem so hateful. "i'm better than you because I don't torture poor defenseless animals". I have no problem hunting a deer or a rabbit because i know a bear or a mountain line would, if it could, eat me. Its how life works. You have to eat things to continue living. and PETA can thank their omnivore ancestors for their large brain. come on people, there are more important issues to worry about. this woman is not a puppy farm! quit giving PETA press! just another extremists group with a few rich celebrity members.

April 14, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  74. john

We rescued a 2 yr old dog that seemed to be great until it bit one of guests
    when they came to visit, we since have bought 2 different types of dogs
    from 2 different breeders and I have to say I don't see anything wrong with
    getting dogs from a breeder. You can check out the breeder and their history and record keeping, as well as the parents of the puppies (most of them are kept on site) better than the guesses for answers you get
    from a shelter. Rescue a dog from a shelter and you still have to
    pay for it... a "small" adoption fee or "re-homing" fee what's the difference, because they call it a "shelter". I would rather pay a breeder and know exactly what I am getting. We have the freedom to choose do not make anyone wrong for doing that.

April 14, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  75. Johana from the Great White North

There are breeders, and then there are REPUTABLE Breeders, there is a huge difference between them.
    A reputable breeder shows their dogs, and breeds for the betterment of the breed. When they breed they choose their dogs they are breeding for a required outcomes like temperment, breed standard and to ween out certain heriditary diseases known to affect the breed. A good breeder will have their studs and females tested for known ailments and diseases, They will also spay and neuter those that have tested positive for those genes and ailments. And most of the time a reputable breeder does not have 80 + dogs on their property.

The other type of breeder just breeds for money, they don't care what happens to those puppies after they got their cash and the puppy has left their premises. These types of breeders should be banned.

And please don't knock people who buy breeds as I for example wanted a dog with certain traits. I researched many breeds. I then found a reputable breeder and purchased my puppy because I not want an adult dog (although i will rescue a dog in the future) and I did not want a puppy with a mixed bag of DNA where certain traits may come out and give us surprises!

Please people do you research before you get a dog and get a dog that suits you and your families lifestyles! And don't forget to spay an neuter your animals!

April 14, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  76. Sunshine Hanson

Does this mean that I should adopt a child rather than having one of my own?

Where does it end? I cannot, and will not, take responsibility for the irresponsible actions of animal breeders and those who choose to abandon their pets to the pound. Their choice does not take away my right to get a puppy if I so choose.

Taking the logic of these arguments to its final conclusion means I am responsible for the actions of everyone around me.

April 14, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  77. Dan

such tree huggers its insane,

if i want a dog , ill get it where ever i want,

and btw i adopted a dog from a Tennessee rescue shelter, but seriously you people are annoying.

April 14, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  78. Dogman

Tom M- What an idiotic statement. What does one's political leanings have to do with this issue?

IrishKisses-I couldn't agree more.

April 14, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  79. Leisanne

I am currently fostering 8 german shepherd puppies and their momma. They are quickly becoming a part of my pack and it will be hard to let them go, it's been so much work. While my heart goes out to this woman for caring for these animals, I honestly, do not understand breeding. There are so many wonderful shelter and rescue german shepherd dogs... I just don't get it. More people should rescue dogs and less should breed them.

April 14, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  80. Ted

I love steak. I love chicken. I love fish.

People kill animals. People are omnivours, and thus we were meant to eat animals (whether by nature or God is irrelevant). Which means killing them.

Little difference from killing animals in shelters. Oh, wait, those animals are supposed to be pets! Maybe we should start eating the animals in the shelters, numb everyone's feelings for them a bit.

April 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  81. Jason J

"April 14th, 2009 12:24 pm ET
    No used dogs for credit card biden. No dog from the pound is good enough for self-important liberals." – Tom M

Tom M, Get off your self-righteous high horse. Morons like you only divide the country with crap like stating that pound pups are not good enough for self-important liberals. I know tons of Red state republican breeders and I am a southern liberal with 2 adopted dogs.

April 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  82. Wake up America

Ya'll are so stupid! You are worrying about dogs when we have babies on the streets everyday either prostituting or being taken advantage of by grudy old men, just to survive because they have known fit parents. Yes, I love animals, but I love a living and breathing human life above all. Why don't America focus on that. Save our children while you worrying about saving an animal.

Crazy Americans, no wonder we are being laughed at around the world.

April 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  83. DW

Random bred dogs are not the 'right' dog for every person. Somebody's cast off puppy mill purebred is not always ideal for a home wanting a genetically sound dog.

Good breeders take their dogs back any time, for any reason. Those dogs in the shelter are not from good breeders unless some dishonest owner has broken the right of first refusal in the adoption contract and dropped the dog at a shelter without returning it to the breeder. Those shelter dogs are are from your neighbors who did not take an animal for life, did not control its fertility, were not responsible for it and its offspring.

Some of us do not wish to have our freedom of choice taken from us because our neighbors were irresponsible dolts. We will not be punished for their failures. We will not be restricted by their total lack of decency.

We will open our homes to animals of the type we want and we will get them where we want them as long as it does not encourage more irresponsible behavior.

Keep in mind that many of you are being brainwashed by animal rights groups who want to see the extinction of all domestic animals. They will divide us animal lovers, and one by one, they will shut down our ability to own and share our lives with dogs and cats. They will tell us to stop doing business with puppy mills and that will be good. Then they will say stay away from back yard breeders and that will be good. Then they will say stay away form responsible breeders because there are still shelters full of animals. Then if they are like PETA, they will kill more than they adopt all the while trying to get people to sterilize any animal and encouraging restrictions on the number of pets a person can own.

Eventually, it will be like China. If you own a pet you are somehow immoral and wasteful.

Already we have an influx of small breed dogs from Mexico and other countries because there are not enough small dogs in many local shelters. That's where most of our dogs will eventually come from if you people don't pull your heads out of the propaganda and start supporting responsible ownership AND breeding. Foreign puppy mills, like that will be an improvement. I'm sure foreign puppy mills will be nice places ...sure they will.

... so says this owner of both shelter and purebred dogs from breeders

April 14, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  84. Heather

I have a pair of so-called "designer dogs" - a "Bug" (Boston Terrier / Pug mix) and a "Chi-Weenie" (Chihuahua / Dachshund mix). My "Bug" was adopted through a shelter but he never spent a moment in the shelter, he was fostered with a loving family until his forever family came to claim him - that would be me. He's been with us for a little over 4 years, and I love my "Bug"!

Our "Chi-Weenie" was abandoned underneath our semi-truck in a parking lot somewhere in Oklahoma (I won't name names, but I know where I was at). She was less than 4 weeks old and not even old enough to be away from her mama. I bottled fed her and hand-raised her from 2.5 weeks old, and she's been with us for almost 3 years now.

Both of my dogs and both of my house cats are "altered / fixed / sterilized", and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm an animal lover, not a breeder. I didn't want a litter of kittens or puppies, for any reason.

Some people pay a lot of money for these two "breeds" of "designer" dogs. I paid $50 to adopt my "Bug" through the shelter, and the "Chi-weenie" was obviously "free to a good home" because she was abandoned. Both of my cats were "free to a good home" animals as well, and "mutts" if you will.

All four of my animals - dogs & cats - have pet beds, toys, food, regular veterinary care. They are licensed and tagged and, as I stated before, they are all "altered". Not every pet owner - or even someone that owns a "designer breed" dog - is an evil person. And not every breeder is an evil person either.

April 14, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  85. Georgianne

Reputable breeders will always take back any puppy they produce throughtout their lifetimes. This is generally a requirement in their contracts.

Shelter dogs come from back-yard breeders (cheap, no health checks, etc.), from puppy mills and pet stores (one in the same).

If you make money breeding, you're not doing it correctly.

April 14, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  86. Vivian

If PETA and HSUS truly wanted to make the lives of animals better, why to THEY euthanize instead of placing them for adoption? Their rate of adoption is ridiculously low. Their ultimate goal is to end all animal ownership PERIOD and even call it animal enslavement. I hope that term is disgusting enough to slam everyone's pockebook shut.

April 14, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  87. mark from albany

this is to all you idiots who think they should stop breeding dogs all together and get them from shelters, you are morons.

if people stop breeding dogs, in 10 years there will be no dogs anywhere, whether that be in my home or in a shelter. i should not be punished because PEOPLE can be irresponsible when getting a dog. i know what i want in a dog, i dont want a joe smo dog. i want a dog with a medium hard tempermant, strong build, needing exercise, smart and friendly, and a good breeder can get me just that, a shelter can not.

rescue dogs can be great as pets, but they are a total wild card, which is probably why so many end up back in shelters over and over.

the problem is not good respectable breeders like this one, its not even puppy mills, the problem is people. yes, puppy mills are aweful, but if people werent so irresponsible they would not buy from them and they would go out of business, and only respectable breeders would remain.

i used to support PETA until i realized there absolute goal is to get rid of ALL pets from homes, and now find myself fundamentally opposed to them

April 14, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  88. Karen

I used to volunteer at a local animal shelter and I worked with both dogs and cats. While I wouldn't hesitate to get a mixed breed cat, if I ever have another dog it will be a purebred animal. While it is "possible" to get a purebred dog from a shelter, they are adopted so quickly it is a very difficult thing to do. I would get a purebred dog because with a purebred, you know what you're getting in terms of temperament, disposition and any health issues that could arise as the dog gets older. With a mixed breed, who knows.

An alternative to getting an animal from a shelter is going through a rescue group that specializes in a particular breed. You get a purebred that is "rescued" and everyone wins.

Breeders aren't the problem. Irresponsible pet owners who don't have their dogs/cats spayed or neutered are. That's where the unwanted mixed breed dogs and cats come from.

To all who are criticizing the breeder, have you been to her facility? Have you seen how the dogs are kept, fed, played with. Don't point the finger without firsthand knowledge.

And, by the way, this is the United States of America. People can get a pet from wherever or whomever they please – shelter or breeder. As long as they treat the animal with love and respect, it isn't anyone's business where the animal came from.

April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  89. ryan

I own two purebred dogs and I got them for a reason. I have no problem with muts or adopting, but I wanted a purebred because their health, behavior, and lifestyles are predictable. I chose dogs that were compatible with my lifestyle so that I could enjoy them as much as possible and I would be able to provide the best lives possible for them. When you adopt a mutt you don't always know what you're getting. Why do you think so many of them end up in shelters? People get dogs that they know nothing about and then dump them at shelters when they can't deal with them. In terms of health, there are just as many if not more problems with mutts BECAUSE of the fact that many of them are two different breeds that don't mesh well. This whole thing is dumb. Sure she has a lot of dogs; she may not be the most responsible person. But I'm sure that many of the adult dogs are no longer breeding. She is just caring for them after their careers are over. Thats what breeders are supposed to do. Also, if you go to a shelter the first dogs adopted there are the puppies–SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE!! You are no better than her because you aren't adopting older dogs!!! See how dumb that sounds? Why don't you take older dogs? "Because they won't live as long and are probably there for a reason." Well that's just as bad as wanting a purebred. Dogs will keep breeding without people. we just take the ones we want regardless of the circumstances. No one else needs to say a word unless they adopt every stray dog they ever see-EVER!!! But wait, then you'll be just like her; too many dogs to take care of and people threating your life. pwnt.

April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  90. Dog Caretaker

God gave us control of the animals? Prove it.

We are all animals and none of us is privileged over others. If you are not an animal, you must be either vegetable or mineral. We have responsibility for the globe because we are "intelligent" beings. As such, we are merely caretakers of dogs. Breeding dogs should be abolished and we have the responsibility to get control of the shelters and abolish puppy mills. Biden and Obama are delusional as are all politicians.

April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  91. Marina

Someone posted that you should go to petfinder.com, look up German Shepherd Dog, and you'll see that today there are 7,475 German Shepherds at shelters, not counting mixed breeds. I have to correct you on this: the great majority of those 7,475 who come up under "German Shepherd Dog" are in fact mixed breeds, as you will see if you look at the individual dogs' profiles, or as you will know if you have ever used petfinder. I love mixed breed dogs and all my animals are rescues; I am posting this because there's nothing to be gained by dealing with inaccuracies or lies. I love petfinder, and have found some of my most beloved furry and feathered friends through the site.

April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  92. Eric

Ed, you say you supported PETA but are now withdrawing your support because of how they treat "respectable pet lovers?" Were you truly unaware that PETA opposes animals being kept as pets?

I wonder how many other well-meaning animal lovers are being gulled into supporting this radical, extremist group that draws no distinction between humans and animals.

April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  93. Responsible pet owner

I am tired of people and groups who bad mouth respectable breeders and private owners who seek and obtain registered quality pets with good bloodlines and breed-specific characteristics. Purebred registered animals are wonderful pets, and the correct breeding enables families to select a breed that best suits their lifestyles. We have an AKC registered yellow Labrador retriever, which I specifically wanted because of the breed characteristics. We also have two AKC registered miniarture dachshunds because we also desired little pet dogs with their characteristics. We also have a purebred Siamese housecat, the third one I've had in adulthood ... I love the breed. On the other hand, I have volunteerd much of my time to no-kill animal shelters both in hands on work and through fund raising and holdong a position on the borad of directors. Many people work hard to save homeless animals and I'm one of them. I must say it is a rare occasion to find a purebred animal that is homeless or given up for adoption. People who buy purebred animals are generally very responsible pet owners.

April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  94. Diane

People have the right to spend money on whatever dog they want. You (Juliet and Beth, to name a couple) have NO right to decide how anyone else should select their pets. I too have works for shelters. I would recommend adoption but sometimes it's not an option. The woman who ran the shelter I worked with didn't like children, she refuse to adopt out animals to people with children under 7 years of age. So a family with a 5 yr old who wants to give a dog a loving home would never get one by her standards. Stupid and it does nothing to help the animals the need homes. Someone else left a comment that "9 out of 10" dogs from breeders end up being euthanize...please site your source. I think you are intentionally lying or clueless. There is nothing wrong with purchasing a pet from a reputable breeder. The problem is that too many people see no reason to spend 50 to 80 dollars to get their pet spayed or neutered. They are the same people who dump their pet any time the have to move to a new home or have a baby . If you can't see adopting or buying a pet as a commitment for the pets entire life then you should not get one...period. Some groups who claim to promote "animal rights" are nothing but a bunch a fanatical wackos who think they have the right to hurt anyone they want to uphold their own ideals, kind of like fanatics of any major religion. If people would stop and use a little common sense before they brought a pet home there would be much less of a problem. However, most people give little thought to having and raising children so how can we expect them to be responsible with pets?
    And JD, get off your woman hating kick. I've known more than one man who flat out refused to accept a baby they had helped create. Walking away is just as bad as being the one who stops by the abortion clinic. It's very convenient to blame it all on women though.

April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  95. German Shepherd Mom

Let me start off by saying I am an active supporter of ASCAP and the Humane Society of the United States! I am 100% against puppy mills!!!! However, some of the comments I have read in here are absolutely BS!!!! Just because you buy a pet from a REPUTABLE BREEDER does NOT mean you do NOT care about the animals in shelters!!!! I have owned shelter dogs and cats most of my life. I have 3 shelter cats currently and YES, I OWN TWO GERMAN SHEPHERDS!!!! One was a rescue (so pfffft) and one I did indeed purchase from a very reputable breeder! I also rescued a shepherd from an abusive situation back in 2001. God rest his soul I lost him in 2006. Both shepherds I rescued were adults! I am very much in love with the breed! So why does that make me a shelter dog hater?!?! I would continue to rescue but for those of you that have any sense about the breed know that when you rescue a german shepherd from an abusive sitiuation that the dog is more than likely, scared, fearful and is very aggressive!! I can't let a dog like that into my home around my children and other pets!! So purchasing one from a REPUTABLE BREEDER was my choice! It DOES NOT mean I have killed a shelter dog as the commerical on this video article suggests!! Which by the way is a horrible, horrible commerical that should be banned! TO BE CONTINUED!!

April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  96. Derek

Where are police officers going to get their K-9s if there are no reputable breeders making very smart, very fit German shepherds? What if you work on a far and need a quaity herding dog? You need breeders so you don't have to go through 5 dogs to get a good working dog. But most of all, you have no right telling me where I should buy my dog. I am sure these "self important liberals" buying dog's from breeders are different from the self important liberals who demonizes anyone who doesn't buy a dog from the pound.

April 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  97. JR

Why are people complaining that she has 80 dogs on her property?

PETA kills (oh sorry euthanizes) over 2/3rds of the animals they "save" from research...where's the outrage at that?

The fact that she has 80 dogs tells me that she isn't euthanizing them, nor is she forcing one or two dogs to constantly be pregnant. She is keeping them BEYOND their breeding life and taking care of them unlike the mills. Nice try though.

April 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  98. Joshua

While I'm certain that no one, dog breeder or otherwise, can possibly care for 80 German shepherds in a responsible manner, I'm still confounded by the boneheadedness of the "ADOPT! ADOPT! ADOPT!" crowd and their insistence that, as one poster her put it, "there's no reason for anyone to be breeding dogs."

I assume that you're old enough to understand the basic biological law that requires creatures to breed in order to reproduce. If everyone stopped breeding dogs and everyone looking for a dog went to a shelter, we'd soon have no dogs. Shelter dogs are almost invariably spayed and neutered and thus unable to produce more puppies. Surely such a plan would quickly put the shelters out of business but it would also lead to the extinction of dogs, purebred or otherwise. Since the only dogs that will be breeding on their own are feral, I wonder if you're volunteering to redomesticate them for us once the shelters are empty?

So, by all means, go to the shelter. Use a breed's AKC club rescue group to get a purebred dog of a particular breed. But that doesn't mean no one should buy dogs from breeders. It's not that difficult to ascertain that a dog comes from a small, family-oriented, true kitchen raising kennel and it's not difficult to ascertain the health of the puppy before you make a purchase.

April 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  99. Tammy

It never ceases to amaze me how many comments are made with such passion. The bottom line is that those of us who have jobs can spend our discretionary money any way we choose. We can buy breeded dogs, rescue dogs, restaurent fare, casino stints, booze, cigs or donations to charity. Deep down–who cares...

April 14, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  100. Margo

At least half the people hereseem to have a problem with reading comprehension/memory.
    1) Obama did not 'buy his dog from a breeder'. It was a rehomed puppy, and a gift from Sen. Kennedy.
    2) The lady in this article has 80 dogs that live on her property, true. But where in hell does it say she breeds 80 of them at any time?
    3) It seems incomprehensible to me that Biden, a true dog enthusiast would deel with anyone who abused animals in a 'puppy-mill' operation, and I don't understand why people would think otherwise.
    4) PETA is a PITA; bunch of neurotics