American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 14th, 2009

Biden puppy haunts breeder

CNN's Alina Cho reports on the backlash received by the breeder who sold Vice President Biden his puppy.

From CNN's Melissa Morgenweck

There was no need to ring a doorbell when we pulled up to the Wolf Den kennel in Chester county Pennsylvania. At least a dozen German Shepherds announced our arrival.

Linda Brown greeted us and introduced us to the pack including her favorite, 13 year old Hans. Most of the dogs in this section had once been breeders. Now she keeps them as her personal pets.

They are just one grouping of the approximately 80 adult dogs that she says live on her property. “German Shepherds look into the mirror of your soul. They are intelligent and protective and your animals for life.”

Brown told us that she had been up since 4am helping deliver a litter of puppies. “They like to give birth in the middle of the night when it’s quiet and still.”

As we toured the property Brown recalled the day last December when Vice President Biden came to pick out a dog. “He picked the puppies up and literally kissed them all over. And when he did finally select his puppy he just wouldn’t let him go.”

But Brown says she has paid a big price for the publicity. Soon after the visit she claims she received death threats from animal-rights groups. Dog wardens from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture also made multiple visits to inspect her kennels. (The state told one of our producers that inspections typically take place twice a year.)

Brown was cited for poor record keeping, dirty housekeeping and mistreating her dogs. Last month she was cleared of all citations. “It hurts the depth of your soul that they would even have the nerve to call me and tell me that I’m inhumane with my dogs. My dogs are treated better than most children are treated.”

Filed under: Controversy
  1. Greyhounds Rock

Rescue a Greyhound! They are all pure breeds dogs with the best personality!

April 14, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  2. John

The people who claim that the Obama/Biden administration isn't a fresh start or a change from Bush, just because Biden's dog is from a reputable breeder and Obama's dog is a gift from Kennedy, are amazingly dumb.

Right, SCHIP doesn't matter? Gitmo doesn't matter? A dramatic shift in our foreign policy doesn't matter? All the things that Obama has done already, and is still working on doing, none of that matters because when getting their pets, they didn't exactly follow the guidelines of your pet issue?

I'm an Iraq war vet who was a member of veterans for Obama, I support a woman's right to choose, I support gay marriage, I think people from the Bush administration need to go to jail for authorizing torture of detainees, I think we need more federal funding for green power research, I plan to have a house primarily powered by solar and wind (when I get a house), but I have a dog that I got from a breeder, somebody who is mixing beagles with bulldogs to get around the birthing problems that english bulldogs have. Holy cow! I'm practically a Nazi!

April 14, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  3. Chaiah

Folks, I am not saying that people should not adopt from a shelter if they are able to do so. As I have stated, we have a purebred dog and we have a mixed breed from a shelter. Honestly, it takes more work with a dog from a shelter but every dog needs training and socialization. Imo, far too many don't take the ownership of a pet seriously enough and when it gets to be a challenge, they dump their pets. There are some here who would say "They are just animals." Well, yes. Yes, they are. However they are animals that we have a responsibility for and when we bring them into our homes – whether from a shelter or a breeder (and, please, do you research before you accept the word of a breeder) – we have a responsibility to care for them. Often it's not easy. They have illnesses just like we do that can require a great deal of care. They need to know where they are in the pack and a hand should NEVER be lifted to hit a pet. Ever. Training is necessary and having a reputable trainer assist you if you aren't already equipped is paramount. Dogs are not our children but they are living beings and need more than most recognize.

If you get a dog – be it from a shelter or a breeder – be responsible. Those who think they have a right to tell others from whom they should get a pet need to step back and do what is right for them and let others determine the correct road for their circumstances.

I wish the Obama children a wonderful time with their dog. They are blessed as is he. Bo is, sort of, a rescue dog in that he didn't work out with his initial owners. So, people can just can it with that. Joe Biden got a German Shep puppy. I wish him the best, too.

Now, I need to make dinner and feed the dogs.

April 14, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  4. Laura

Jacob in the Bible had a goat breeding program in about 1800 BC. Selective breeding has a long history. The goal should be to breed for vitality. If you believe that bad breeding hurts vitality, then logically, careful breeding increases vitality. The problem is not selective breeding itself–it's the structure and incentives of the dog industry. In spirit, I agree with the people who say adopt a rescue dog. I have. My mixed-breed rescue dogs have hearts of gold, but they both have genetic and other defects that weren't as apparent when I adopted them. Their care is time-consuming and expensive, and their problems are heartbreaking. If I had children, I'd get a dog from a breeder who has proven bloodlines with good temperment and conformation in order to increase the chances that the dog would be a healthy companion.

April 14, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  5. Kristy

Let me start by making it clear that I do not support PETA. Personally, I think they are a bunch of kooks who have taken animal rights a bit (a lot) too far. However, I do agree that it should be a crime to purchase a dog from a breeder. With all the dogs in shelters that need a good home, why, why, why would you go to a puppy mill and buy a dog? Come on people, common sense tells us this is just WRONG!

Our pet overpopulation problem isn't going to go away just by getting rid of the breeders, though. People have to learn to take proper care of their animals. Most states (or counties) have a leash law in place. The primary focus of these leash laws is to keep people from getting bit by a strange dog, but there are other – very important – reasons for these laws. 1) Dogs running loose are more likely to be killed in traffic. 2) They help keep unwanted breeding to a minimum. If you want your dog to be able to run free, buy a lot of land and let them run free there, not in a regular neighborhood.

Where does it say in the above article that it was the Republicans who sent the State Department of Agriculture to this woman's kennel? Anyone who has 80 dogs should be checked into and shut down. As it has been stated many times in other people's comments: you cannot properly care for 80 dogs at one time.

Lastly I would like to say that I think it is an abomination that our President and Vice President have gotten dogs from breeders rather than rescue shelters. They – more than anyone else – should be setting an example of responsible pet care.

**For those of you who want to bring the treatment of human orphans to the table...you must understand that humans are different. Humans must make the choice of having a child of their own blood or loving a child that someone else has disregarded. You cannot give birth to a dog, therefore you must adopt.

April 14, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  6. Ed Fagan

exactly

April 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  7. sherry

god, you stupid people stop with this adoption crap...... america is suppose to be a free country where you have choices and options, rights...... leave people that prefer pure breds over strays/mutts alone.. when you are picking a wife or husband, don't go with the fly looking one, go to a shelter and take a homeless woman or man in as your bride or groom.... sounds stupid, does'nt it, you would never marry a scaggly homeless person, exactly!! just like some people do not want someones discarded abused, rejected animal, great for you people out there that do, but not all of us do..... we should not be judged either, you would not marry or date a common stray , they have cold nights, sometimes they end up dead, they are hungry, they need warm shelter and most of all they need love.... so, for all of you out there flapping your jaws, take a stray in, a human one at that or shut up....

April 14, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  8. BW

The fact of the matter is, yes I believe if you want a dog you should adopt; however, if you have small children adopting is a crap shoot. The mentality of the dog as well as the health is put into question. Certain breeds have better demeanors than others, and that needs to be taken into consideration. Also certain dogs create a more allergic reaction than others. I got lucky and adopted a great dog, but others aren't so lucky. Let it be known that there are some shelters out there that are trying to push dogs through the adoption phase that have serious medical problems without full disclosure. My father recently adopted a dog from the SPCA that is obviously incontinent. He was given the dog not knowing it's condition, took it home, and it urinated all over the house. He took it back for a free check-up, and was told that it had a urinary tract infection which did not cleared up with antibiotics. He then took it to 2 more vets who told him the dog had a weak bladder. The first vet put her on estrogen treatments which didn't work, then the second vet told him that she had an anatomical problem that would need a $1,500 procedure to correct it, but even that was not guaranteed to work. My father is retired, and cannot afford to be spending that much money on a procedure for a new dog that might not even work. He also has 7 grandchildren (with 2 more on the way) that cannot be crawling around in urine when they visit him. Had he have been aware of this dog's condition he would have chosen another dog. In the end he very reluctantly returned the dog. When he revisited the shelter they treated him like a criminal, AND the dog was back out on the "floor" to be adopted with the same condition. My poor father's heart is broken. I guess the moral of my story is let's not vilify dog breeders and lump them all together, there are jerks out there in all walks of life just as there are good intentioned people out there too.

April 14, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  9. Pat

We also have a German Shepherd from Linda's program – a wonderful, wonderful female who is Hans' granddaughter. Linda is an extremely responsible breeder and her dogs are terrific representatives of this most facinating breed. Those of us who are lucky enough to have one of her pups know that.

To all you PETA types – may we conclude that ALL of you are vegetarians who do not own or use anything made of leather? To echo the comments in several previous posts – you unfortunately give animal activisits a bad name.

And make no mistake about it – those of us who own pure-bred dogs are vitally interested in the welfare of dogs as well.

April 14, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  10. Robert

Look if the lady has the means to provide correctly for the dogs, who cares how many she has, its her right. I'm sure there has been investigators all up in the mix anyways, so obviously she can take care of 80 dogs. I've had a few dogs in my life time most of which were rescues but that was my choice. Look you can't blame the responsible breeders for the state of humane societys and the epidemic of mistreated dogs. Every breeder should be taken on a case by case basis, you can't just say because you disagree with their decision to breed dogs to begin with, so they mistreat animals. That doesn't make sense. Go chase after oil companies, or tree loggers or something. The humane race is tricky thing to begin with we all have are opinions on what is right or wrong. There is always an opposition to anything, so you have to do what is right for you, and if you aren't hurting anyone directly then you are good to go.

April 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  11. Jim

Most of you complainers and critics of breeders don't know much about how dogs end up in animal shelters. Those that purchase dogs from reputable breeders do not let their dogs end up in these shelters, at least not on purpose. Most of the dogs that are there are because of irresponsibility and neglect. thus, I believe Ms. Brown has been wrongfully badgered. If all you animal rights fanatics need something to do that is worthy of saving some dog's life, then find those that are truly neglected and leave the honest, hard working, responsible dog breeders alone.

btw – I got my dog from the local animal shelter, not because I was motivated by one of many bumper stickers on a POS import, but because I liked the dog.

April 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  12. Ra A. Surdum

I think it is completely irresponsible for people to breed when there are so many babies they could adopt instead. I mean, how dare they?

April 14, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  13. John

I love the people who assume that 80 dogs means they're not all getting taken care of. There's flocks of sheep, herd of cattle, etc, that are all as big as that, if not bigger. She's probably got friends and family members helping her out. Just because your tiny mind can't understand something doesn't mean your preconceived notions are correct.

April 14, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  14. Ron

"How is it that dog breeders are subject to such scrutiny about the treatment of dogs and puppies, but yet women are free to discard human life with no recourse?"

Amen JD!!!

The same can of mixed PETA nuts are probably the same people who are supporting abortion on demand.

GOPHater, you're a tool.
    Beth, you're a tool.
    JD Responder: "The reason is simply that not everyone agrees that fetuses are human lives." The reason for this is that human abortion mills like Sherri Shepherd of The View and others who want to live promiscuous lifestyles would be severely inconvenienced by knowing that they were ending a human life. So, they conveniently tell themselves that it's just a bunch of random, unconnected cells growing in their body until it magically pops out of their uterus a fully-formed baby (and it's not a human until that happens). This kind of logic is like saying something doesn't exist because you don't see it.

There is nothing wrong with dog breeding or dog breeders – period. The problem of overcrowded animal shelters is an INDIVIDUAL FAULT OF RESPONSIBILITY!!!! People who abandon their animals, leave them to run around the neighborhood mating with whatever animal they find, people who don't get their pets spayed/neutered are to blame.

So will you stupid fools stop laying blame with people who are not responsible.

April 14, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  15. Ed Fagan

Funny, not one person mentioned Barney, the Bush's dog. Was Barney a rescue from a shelter or elsewhere? I could be wrong here but I do believe he was from a breeder. Why isn't anyone jumping all over him for that?

This whole argument is based on so many false premises that it makes a four year old's excuses look sophisticated. "Every dog you buy from a breeder means one more dead dog." Huh? You support creating a life and somehow you are yourself directly responsible for the death of another dog that you have never had the slightest connection with in any way shape or form?

Wow. That brand of logic must be based on some kind of serious drug induced stupor.

April 14, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  16. tmn

To all the people who are asking the difference between breeding dogs and breeding children instead of adopting – the difference is that we don't gas or lethally inject millions of adoptable children every year because they can't find homes.

Breeding dogs for their pure blood in any scenario (reputable breeders, puppy mills, backyard breeders) is simply wrong, at least until we cease to have an overpopulation problem. Anyone who thinks otherwise should volunteer at a shelter that kills animals for one day, and see if they don't change their minds.

I am very disappointed that Biden and Obama did not choose to adopt from shelters. It would have been a great example for all the people out there that think they need to buy dogs from stores or breeders. They had to know they would get a huge backlash from people on this issue, just seems like a dumb move to me.

April 14, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  17. sherry

all purebreds are a death sentence for all strays, grow up moron.....
    so, we have to pick up the slack because other irresponsible morons discard their animals like waste, so we should put aside our wants for a particular dog because ignorance is bliss and we are overloaded with strays, it is our choice to decide what kind of dog we want , a stray or a pure bred, just because she did not live like Mr. let me help obama destroy the world , biden... he is jus a pomopass a trying to make life difficult for this poor woman.....

April 14, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  18. LilMouse

Why is everyone comparing adopting a dog to adopting a child? Why can't we care as much about what happens, whether it be human or animal?

A lot of dogs in shelters are dumped there because "I couldn't train him" or "I left her home for 8 hours and she peed on my carpet". THAT'S THE PROBLEM. They are discarded like trash, and just because someone pays $3,000 for a dog, in NO WAY does that guarantee a good life.

Most people do not dump off their children and leave them to be adopted....and children do not get euthanized because they can't find a home. So stop already with these ridiculous comparisons.

April 14, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  19. Josephus Baker

Find it amusing that the ones that agree that she should be vilified get most of their "facts" from PETA and the media. Neither of which are credible, though the media is a bit more so than PETA.

While there are puppy mills out there, there probably arent as many as everyone thinks.

She's a legitimate operation, has had several visits by those in charge, who went so far as to make up offenses where there were none, and she was cleared. Do you think they would allow it for real if they go after her for political reasons?

c'mon people think about the information you get for a change before you spout off and propagate the stupidity I've been reading.

What most don't know, or ignore, is that PETA could care less about the animals....so much so that when PETA takes pets from families who's intent is "to find them good homes",

Last year, of the 2,216 pets taken in by PETA, they found adoptive homes for 7. The rest were killed.

PETA exists only for the money sent in for contributions and the only purpose for animals is to use their sad little faces on literature to solicit donations.

It's sad that so people, who are of average intelligence are duped into this kind of crap every day.

Josephus

April 14, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  20. Wayne

PETA is a joke!!! I look at PETA as I look at my neighbor a big dummy. These people don't understand what the breed of a dog has to do with anything! My neighbor will have anywhere between 5 – 15 junk dogs that run in packs in the area and eat my barn cats and then be aggressive to me. Soon after this big dummy moved in down the road and I started having these problems I went out and got a German Shepherd puppy myself at that time I trained it were its area was and that if it didn't belong to eat it. After he was 1 year old he had full run of the ground since that time I have not had a problem with the junk dogs from down the road other then big dummy crying about how his junk dogs are bleeding every time they come over to my house.

Train a junk dog to stay and fight for its home and you have a dog till then they are just junk.

Think of them like criminals they will be back in the shelter or they will be dead. Because a large number of them …….. well you get the idea!

April 14, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  21. Cary Pugh

i have gotten dogs from different sources and I have to say the one I got from our local shelter was the worst experience. She had health problems and when I tried to talk to the shelter to get information they would not return my calls nor take the time to talk to me when I went down there. I was just trying to figure out what they had been feeding her so I could get her to eat. They flat out refused to answer ANY questions. They told me if I was unhappy with her I should just bring her back. I was so ticked. Here I had a sick puppy that they sold me and I was just trying to figure out something for her to eat to get her strength back and all I got was a lot of crappy attitude. So much for caring about the welfare of the animals they place.

After I lost one of my dogs I tried to adopt a large breed puppy from a shelter and was turned down because the snotty volunteer said she would NEVER allow someone with kids to adopt a puppy. She based her decision on the fact that I had kids and not on how my other animals were treated (like family) Again I went to breed rescue and found a great dog.

I tell anyone I know who is looking for a dog to go to breed rescue. They will take the time to get to know you and help you if you run into trouble with behavior down the line. Breed rescue rocks!

April 14, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  22. Joe

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't anyone see that if we all went and adopted a dog from a shelter we could achieve world peace. Seriously, Somalian pirates would stop attacking ships, Iran and Israel would form a joint softball team and play in the world league, and the Pope would open his own condom store...only if we all adopted a mangy mutt. This is ridiculous thinking folks...what does anyone expect to accomplish by forcing a baseless opinion that buying purebreds is immoral? I mean, honestly....................do you have the ability to listen to yourselves?

Wouldn't it be easier to have a rugby game or something......The Conservative Idiots vs the Liberal Morons......................(I'd be in the crowd pretending it was a soccer game in Europe throwing bottles at both teams instead of fighting in the stands)

April 14, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  23. sherry

JD, whoever you are .... your response was brilliant and well put, makes you wonder, does'nt it?

April 14, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  24. katie

I hope that everyone who has taken part in this discussion has spent as much time and energy towards helping the marginalized and oppressed groups of PEOPLE in our country as they have typing up these messages.

Imagine what our country would look, feel, and function like if we all gave an hour or two a week (or more!!!) spent in the service of other people.

April 14, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  25. sherry

also beth please grow up, your remark was rather stupid.....
    not every dog purchased through a breeder, aka puppy mill as you call it ends up in a shelter with death as their fate...... i have always gotten pure breeds from breeders and my dogs are taken care of and never ever been in a shelter, my pek. died of natural causes after 8.5 years, give or take and that dog was treated like a queen.... no dog could ever replace samone.... i thank the woman that breed peks. i paid a lot of money to have my dog cremated so i did not ever have to leave her behind since we are mil and travel a lot..... but, hey its an almost free country for now, the presidents only been in office a few months so enjoy your freedom while you have it.........the problem here could be who the vice pres. is........ and not at all who the breeder is or how she operates her business, but then yet there to that is just my opinion and for now we are allowed to keep our freedom of speech and opinions.....

April 14, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  26. cher

I would not bring a shelter dog into a home with children. You are taking on someone else's problem. Rarely are sheltered dogs loving gentle creatures. These dogs are either scarred by the neglect that led them to their shelter life, or had a serious problem with their temperment (or sometimes health) that led to them being abandonned. There is a woman on our street with a shelter dog. She takes very good care of it and loves it very much. However, it is still a violent dog. Its not the owners fault, as she took it in as an adult, long after the damage was done. It probably isn't the dogs fault either, though people are born with personality traits/flaws, so I guess dogs probably are too. But whatever the case, it has attacked several other neighborhood dogs, WHILE ON LEASH. No one in the neighborhood wants it anywhere near their kids! I feel sorry for the dog, and its nice that this woman was willing to try to help it. But if I was looking for a pet to live in my home with my kids, a scarred dog from a shelter would be the last thing I would consider!!

April 14, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  27. Deborah

What supposed breeder can adequately take care and socialize 80 dogs!!! NONE!

April 14, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  28. Joe

Excuse me. Does this mean no more children til all the orphans have been adopted? Just askin'.

April 14, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  29. Patrish

My first dog, a stray I found while living Panama Canal Zone. Lived 8 years – no issues. #2 dog was from a neighbor's mixed breed letter – lived 15 years – no issues. #3 dog stray rat terrier adopted from shelter (micro-chipped, neutered, basic shots – cost $66) He's now 4 and the sweetest dog! Americans are lazy. Everything takes a bit of effort (dog or child), don't want to work at it, then you shouldn't have either one.

April 14, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  30. CC

There is absolutely nothing wrong with breeding any kind of animals. If it were not for breeders there would be lots of unhealthy creatures, not to mention champion dogs, cats etc.....
    Many folks like to have a dog that meets their families needs. Purebred dogs are sometimes the best choice. For example some breeds need lots of space to run and tons of walks or they will become bored and destructive, so if you are an apartment dweller you can steer yourself away breeds that need this kind of lifestyle. There would be fewer dogs in shelters if families spent more time looking at what different breeds were bred for and matching that to their home life.
    Breeders can be an integral of the pet search, they know their breed and its characteristics. No breeder wants to see their babies end up in a shelter. Most breeders make relatively little for the time and money spent raising a litter.

April 14, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  31. Frank

It isn't fair to blame legitimate breeders. The cause of the problem are recklass owners, people who just abandon their animals, and those who breed without regard for what happens to the animals. Your outrage is better directed at the cause of the problem. Driving breeders out of business solves NOTHING if the root of the problem still exists.

April 14, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  32. John S

If you want to get your dog from a breeder you should be able to do that without being threatened by PETA. Maybe all of us don't want some multiple breed mutt in our home. I saved the boxer we now have from going to a shelter. She is not pure boxer but displays the traits of a boxer more than the pure boxer down the street. After she passed through her chewing everything she could find stage she has been wonderful. We keep small children and she has never snapped at them no matter what they did to her before we could stop them. She would just move away from them. Getting a dog or cat is a responsibility that should not be taken lightly. Please do your homework and check a dog out to see if the dog really fits your lifestyle. Also don't get an animal during holidays.

April 14, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  33. Derek in TX

Here in north Texas I use to see moronic people selling "pure bred puppies" on the side of the road from the back of pick-ups. Slowly but surely the various cities around here are making it illegal to sell puppies from a parking lot or other public place.

The majority of the people out there treat pets like property which is why most people aren't put off by so called breeders.

While I agree adopting from any number of shelters or animal rescue is the way to go, the real problem is the irresponsibility of stupid pet owners. Not having a pet neutered is the number one problem causing an abundance of homeless animals. All non-profit animal groups will not adopt to you without the pet being neutered or spayed first.

As for legit breeders: As long as they follow strict rules with regular inspections and testing then it will just be another business venture for the insensitive.

April 14, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  34. Leslie

I guess we all don't have enough work to do with the economy, the wars in the Middle East and the abduction of American's off the African coast that we need to spend our time talking about the type of dog that Mr. Biden chose for his family. Hey – its American – its a FREE country – at least it used to be. We have starving (emotionally and physically) children in this country – maybe instead of adopting pets people should start adopting them!!! There's a thought. Oh yeah, maybe we don't want to think some Americans are too busy minding everyone else's store instead of their own. Its time that we start minding our own houses and get them in order before we start giving the white glove test to others – someone already has the "judgment" job and he has had lots of practice – GOD!

April 14, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  35. Jenny

Also, to all of the people commenting on the number of animals this woman has, did no one bother to actually READ, and apply some critical thinking skills?

The article clearly states that most of these dogs USED to be breeders, now they are merely pets, and no longer used for breeding.

What a horrible woman, keeping animals that are no longer making that money that everyone seems positive is her only motivation. Continuing to house, feed and care for animals who are not generating income seems really cold, heartless and money-hungry, doesn't it?

People in it for the money don't keep the dogs once they are past breeding age. They either put the animal down, or they dump it on someone else. They don't continue to feed, house and care for the animals.

April 14, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  36. eddi

Lets be compassionate to all animals always, everywhere and in all ways...
    Do we need a sequel to Legally Blonde ... Meanwhile, enjoy some puppy humor here

April 14, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  37. Justin

One of the comments from a person named Juliet stated this, "It’s irresponsible and selfish to buy an expensive one from a breeder when there are so many great animals at the pound." That's like saying it's irresponsible and selfish to plan to have a baby with your wife when there are so many great children in the world without a home. If you want a certain type of dog and you want to raise it from puppyhood then go do it. If you prefer to rescue then go do it but don't tell others that they are selfish for not doing the same.

April 14, 2009 at 3:31 pm |
  38. Brian from Chicago

I don't think that dog breeders are necessarily equivalent to puppy mills, but I do expect PETA to take an especially dim view of it. Given their predispositions, I think it's fair and reasonable for them to point out that the distinction is unclear.

But when PETA asks us to start calling fish "sea kittens", they do themselves a disservice, because we tend to associate their more realistic ideas with their headline-making kookiness.

With that in mind, I wonder if PETA folks are more prone to adopting human children than the rest of us, which would seem consistent with their position that shelters are better than breeders. I also wonder if they are more likely to have interracial marriages, which would seem consistent with their position that mongrels are better than purebreds. Do they walk the walk? Or are they wagged by their tales?

April 14, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  39. Tommy Petersen

Lots of outrage aimed at the breeders, and those buying dogs from the breeders, claiming that it causes the deaths of unwanted dogs in shelters. People who pay thousands of dollars for a dog are probably more likely to take good care of it than people picking one up from a local shelter.

How about some outrage at the people who discard their dogs as they do last year's fashions when they are no longer cute and cuddly or cost too much to feed (Not that I ever feed last year's fashions)

A lot of time, keeping an old sick dog alive is more for people's own ego than for the love of the animal.

How about outrage at the fact that most dogs are treated better than many kids and elderly people. Recently a young boy was beaten to death by his step father in New Jersey, only because of the investigation against DYFS (Department of Youth and Family Services) is this a news story. Had the man killed his dog in the same manner, I bet it would have been national news.

Let us get our priorities straight.

I have nothing against the SPCA or the people who adobt shelter animals, I believe most of them have the heart in the right place.

April 14, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  40. jb

seems to me that some of us need to get a life!
    or joint the tree loving people .

April 14, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  41. Jeff Davis

There are definitely some misguided people out their.

Until you have researched a real REPUTABLE breeder of dogs, don't lump them in with puppy mills. They are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT entities.

Reputable breeders DO NOT just breed for looks, they do everything they can to breed out genetic defects, and hardly any of them 'make a living' breeding dogs.

I don't know a single breeder who does not screen potential buyers. Most breeders I know will take back dogs that owners can't handle.

It's a disservice to compare negligent pet owners, who don't get their animals neutered, to reputable breeders.

If the public is looking for a "PET" I would tend to agree that adoption is the way to go. Be it breed specific or a mutt. But if you are looking for a working dog? Well lets just say I challenge anyone out there with a mutt to do the work my Chesapeake does when I'm out duck hunting.

The Obama's should have adopted a Portuguese Water Dog. It probably wouldn't have been all that difficult.

April 14, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  42. JrzWrld

Look, breeding is out of control in this country, but there is a legitimate argument to be made for the maintenance of different dog breeds. Breeds were developed to meet different needs. The diversity of dogs is what makes people love them so much and what leads us to make them part of our lives. If you want a dog, the odds are you are going to find one that suits your particular needs from the multitudes of mutts or purebreds out there. With no reputable breeders, the only dogs reproducing would be the most randomly bred ones and folks would rapidly find that these dogs do not make good pets much of the time. (In fact, some shelter folks will even admit in private that now that spaying and neutering is widespread, the accidental breedings they see are less adoptable because it is only the most irresponsible amateurs with the most disastrous animals.This is kind of a good thing, because it means that the message is penetrating.)

Do away with random backyard breeding. Do away with pointless breeding for appearance (vanity conformation breeding wreaks havoc on many breeds). Breed for health, intelligence and temperament AND DO IT RARELY. Require licenses of all dog breeders (complete with testing and inspections) and automatically require the spaying and neutering of all pets. But don't say that no dogs should be bred ever and that purebreds are pointless. Breeds are part of "dogness" – humans and dogs have affected each other's evolution for millennia, and dog breeds are a part of that story.

I'm also going to point out that if one factored out the pit bulls in our nation's shelters, the number of homeless dogs would be greatly reduced. I'm not advocating a pit bull ban like some people seem bent on (they are wonderful dogs when raised and trained properly), but I am advocating that owners of pit bulls be required to meet more stringent requirements because they are simply a more dangerous breed. Responsible pit owners will understand the need for that and comply. Those who don't are exactly the kind of people who shouldn't have one.

April 14, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  43. sherry

juliet, in response to your comment, who are you to tell me or anyone where to purchase a dog .... there is nothing wrong with breeders it is the jerfoff people that buy the dogs then realize how much work is involved in raising the dog and then they have a "oh! sh-t " moment and then they no longer want the dog and give it away, take it to a shelter, or just simply set it free.... i had the same dog for 9 years til she passed away and i got her from a breeder and she was the best thing besides my children that ever happened to me, a pekingese is by far the best dog ever, i also got a pure breed miniature pincher and he is my 3 year olds best friend so i have to disagree with your theory on breeders, some are not real caring i have seen but for the most they are. your opinion is just that, an opinion..... i am not against adopting an animal if you are not a picky person or do not have a certain breed in mind.. i also believe with children it is bes tto get the dog as a puppy....

April 14, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  44. Terry

Saying purebred dog breeders should all be stopped because we have so many mixed breeds being euthanized in shelters is like saying we should put a stop to all agriculture because some people grow marijuana. It's nuts. Purebreds are not the problem and every real former shelter worker knows it. Purebreds from breeders are seldom euthanized. Unplanned mixed breeds from average dog owners are the real problem. If ALL mixed breeds had to be neutered by law, the problem could be stopped.

April 14, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  45. Chris

I think puppy mills should be banned.....they need to quit playing god and bringing innocent lives into this world just to be sold so their lazy asses dont have to work a real job. Shame on this woman for have 80 dogs only to breed them for a quick buck!!!. She is absolutely disgusting in my eyes, thats nothing to be proud of.
    I can see if u have 2 or 3 dogs and one of them gets pregnant but to do it for a living it's not right for the poor animals.....people like this woman should be charged with animal cruelity if u ask me...

April 14, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  46. Barbara

I am so tired of hearing breeders called irresponsible, and about adopting being so wonderful....

The truly irresponsible are the people who buy a puppy and then turn it into a shelter because they won't take any responsibility for it.

The truly irresponsible are the people who do not have their dogs neutered or spayed and then turn the puppies into shelters.

The truly irresponsible are the people who drop puppies off by the side of the road–if those puppies are lucky, they get taken to a shelter.

Give me a responsible breeder anytime. Adopting from shelters only encourages pet irresponsibility.

April 14, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  47. Kathy M.

The fact is there are way too many pets, including purebred dogs, for too few homes. Until that statistic turns around, these breeders should spend more of their time making changes that will decrease the euthanasia rate. The situation is out of control and the animals are suffering for it.

April 14, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  48. ADM

I think the reason the state and animal group visited her so much was the fact she has 80+ dogs. Even a reputable breeder does not need that many dogs. Even with the best intentions and love of the animals that is far to many for anyone to handle. A person breeding for the love of a breed only needs 3 or 4 very outstanding dogs to breed. If you want to keep some after retirement that is fine as well however keep it to a minimum to ensure quality of life for each dog and then they should be spayed or nuetured. At the most any one kennel should not need to house any more then 10-15 dogs considering how much time it takes to feed, groom excersise and tend to each dog. When you add a couple litters of pups a year to that you have more then enough to keep you busy.

April 14, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  49. John

Many dogs in shelters may be nice and gentle, but many also just seem that way. As a person with a young child at home and in a neighborhood full of small children, I would be taking a great personal risk to my child and to others to adopt a dog that may have a hidden trigger that will cause it to snap and injure my child or others.

In our "sue them till they are broke for life" society even owning a dog seems risky, let alone one that may be a ticking time bomb that you aren't even aware of because of some event that occurred in the dog's past.

Many dog lovers would rather buy a dog that they know the entire life history of so they can begin training and socializing the dog properly early in life.

I know a breeder of show Golden Retrievers and she takes the job very seriously. She only has a few dogs at a time and if any genetic defects are found in the puppies the puppies are immediately fixed and sold (with full disclosure) as pets. She doesn't make much money, but then again, she is also not running a 100 dog puppy mill either.

I know that many dogs are euthanized daily in animal shelters, but blame the irresponsible people who bred them or bought them and then did not keep them, not people looking to own a dog who have the freedom to choose where their dog comes from.

April 14, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  50. AM Bookbinder

the real reason people buy a dog or cat from a breeder is because they choose to rely on the reputation of the dog or cat. They like to look and they like the temperament of the animal. That's the reason. Breeders, or most breeders check the blood line and breed only what is the best for the animal. While I think getting a dog from the pound or SPCA is ok but, you really don't have that option.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. First of all, it's really none of anyone's business what animal is gifted or chosen to be a part of the family. Be it the president or the family around the corner. What bothers me is the lack of thought behind those allowing their non pedigreed dogs and cats to breed with out a care for the responsibility of caring for the litter and just dumping them in a field to die or the pound. That's what really bothers me the most.

April 14, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  51. Jason

If you believe PETA has all animals best interest at heart please take the time to look into the reports of their animal shelters.

The number of animals PETA euthanized is staggering. Please practice what you preach or your words fall on deaf ears.

April 14, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  52. John

Rhonda wrote:

"Reputable dog breeders spend thousands of dollars on pre- breeding test on their dogs-hips, eyes, genetics and are treated better than most children in our country.
    On ANY DAY- you can catch a GREAT WELL KNOWN breeder who has been up all night delivering puppies, hasn’t had a shower for 2 days, and not everything is it’s usually bleached down normal state. Dogs from these breeders try to preserve the integrity of the breed, sell dogs with contracts that state if the dog is being mistreated- THEY can take the dog back- and they care about every puppy that is blessed on their kennel."

Only a few breeders are like that. But for some reason everyone thinks his or her breeder is one of the special few. Statistically, it's unlikely to be true - you probably do have a nasty back-yard breeder who's only in it for money, and just are telling yourself otherwise.

April 14, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  53. JaneGael

I'd heard bad things about this kennel BEFORE the puppy was bought. 80 dogs is a puppy mill. Absolutely NO ONE can properly care, exercise, groom and socially interact with 80 dogs. I have 9, mostly large, rescues and I can't find enough time or enough hands. I can't imagine coping with nearly 10 times that many dogs.

German shepherds do indeed mirror your soul - that's why they need to be with people. In a home. As a pet. NOT in a kennel grinding out puppies. If her dogs are treated better than children she must know the couple that's in jail for putting their kids in cages. I'm sorry to hear the charges were dismissed. I was hoping they would finally shut here and the breeders (greeders) who are like her.

April 14, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  54. Jenny

Yes, there are lots of dogs in shelters. Yes, they need good homes. But the majority of those dogs are mixed breeds that were born due to uncaring owners allowing their pets to roam the streets and not bothering to have them spayed or neutered. Then, people want to come down on responsible breeders of purebred animals, blaming them for the pet overpopulation.

The plain fact is that most people buying a purebred dog would not adopt a shelter animal anyway. They are generally looking for that specific breed, and that is all they want. Breeders are not causing the problem. Irresponsible pet owners who allow their animals to roam unaltered and then dump the litter at the shelter as soon as possible are the problem.

Instead of harassing breeders, what people need to do is push for local legislation requiring licensing, and requiring that owners pay an additional fee for any unaltered animals that they own. If the irresponsible people causing this problem were made to pay for it, we'd see a decline in the unwanted animal population a lot more quickly.

Why should someone be forced to choose an animal that they don't know anything about because people keep allowing their pets to breed indiscriminately? Why should people have to take a chance on a dog with no medical or family history to tell them what they're getting into? They have no idea what kind of home this dog came from, what kind of temperament the parents have, what kind of veterinary care the parents received, etc.

The responsibility for this problem lies not with reputable breeders, or people who prefer for whatever reason to have a purebred dog. The problem is with people who get a dog, allow it to produce litter after litter, and then pass the problem along by dumping the puppies or kittens at a shelter.

There are too many low cost and/or free spay/neuter programs out there for people to not get their animals spayed or neutered. Blaming breeders for the overpopulation in animal shelters is like blaming social drinkers for alcoholism. They are not the problem, just a distraction, so irresponsible pet owners can continue to dodge responsibility.

April 14, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  55. sheryl in Texas

You guys should really stop this is just not right what are we becoming?

April 14, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  56. Kathryn

There is a huge difference between dog 'breeding' and puppy mills.
    People breed a specific type of dog because they really love the breed.
    Puppy mills exist because the people love money...not the animals.
    There's nothing wrong with buying from a breeder, so long as you make sure the breeder doesn't breed more than one type of dog.
    If the person is selling a variety of dog breeds, then you shouldn't buy from them. The pup will likely be unhealthy, and you will contribute to the misery of the dogs that are constantly being bred.

I own a pure bred Pomeranian and a rescued Pom mix.

April 14, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  57. melissa

Look, I'm almost embarrassed to say that I got my second dog from a breeder (my first dog was from a rescue), but #1 – I wanted a puppy, #2 – I didn't want another dog with issues to move in with my rescue dog with issues (though I love her, 5 years later, our rescue dog still has issues). There are reasons to go to a breeder instead of the pound. Our breeder was just a lover of labs with wide open spaces for the dogs to run and clean kennels. She introduced us to each one of her adult labs before we got a chance to get our hands on the puppies. Puppy mills are horrible and I am 100% against them. But independent breeders are not bad people and the dogs are happy because their owners LOVE THEM.

Just think, if we didn't have breeders, we wouldn't have labs. And labs are the #1 dog in America. Must not be just the self-important liberals purchasing dogs, Tom M.

April 14, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  58. Eric

The reason their are so many pittbull mixes in shelters is because any dog that has terrier traits in it is called a pittbull. There is no bread of dog called pittbull. There is an American Pitt Bull Terrier(i am a proud owner of) and Staphordsire(?spelling) Terrier. Labeling an animal as a pittbull makes it much easier to justify the destruction of the animal. To all the idiots that think pittbulls are anymore dangerous than another dog check the available dog bite stats in the US and you will see the "pittbulls" at the bottom. They just get more publicity because it sells more papers to have the headline "PittBull viscousely malls little child" than it would to have "Border Collier bites child" I have 2 rabbits that are not afraid of my 85lb pittbull and they play together in the living room outside of cage, yet every person on my street is?

April 14, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  59. Jason

I thought this was america...shouldn't a person have the right to buy what they desire...i guarantee you someone that pays $500 to $1000 for a pure bred dog has done more research on the animal they want, and is much more likely to take better care than someone who went to their local shelter just to get any puppy, and pay about $50. Not to mention you can get some medical history of the sire and dam, and know what you are getting...all of you who think its better to adopt b/c so many animals are in shelters, let me ask you this, do you have children, did you have your own or did you adopt, i'm sure there are plenty of kids that need good homes...not to mention all the abortion that takes place in this country...judge people on their actions and character, not where they get a puppy...

April 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  60. chris

I'm sorry PETA is pathetic. I used to support them, they are becoming extremists in the terrorist sense of the word. I'm sorry, but I do not feel the need to adopt an animal from a shelter because someone else was irresponsible and either bought a dog they could not afford/house or neglected to get their dog fixed! I am a compasionate person for those animals, but with kids around, I'm not taking the risk on a dog with bad temperment. Why do people feel they need to force their values on everyone!! Leave that to extremist groups and religion. German Shepard breeders develop special lines of dogs with temperments suited for special jobs such as police dogs and the guild for the blind. Try telling a blind person they have to get a dog from shelter instead of a dog bread for temperment. I consider myself fairly moderate politically, actually quite liberal, but when liberal groups try to restrict your personal freedom because they don't agree with you, it's just as tyranistic as Dick Cheney!!

April 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  61. michelle

To breed dogs is absolutely ridiculous. A purebred dog is an INBRED dog. There is no need for ANY breeder to be in business, anyone that breeds with millions being euthanized is an absolute idiot. BTW, to the guy that made an abortion comment earlier-how about we start worrying about the sentinent feeling beings that already exist on this earth before worrying about a mass of cells that have no feelings? If you care so much, why don't you adopt a few children that are stuck in the foster system? How about a few homless pets? Different when you actually have to do something instead of just spewing rhetoric.

April 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm |
  62. Hot Dog

Hotdogs, Armour hotdogs.
    What kinds of kids eat Armour hot dogs?
    Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks.
    Tough kids, sissy kids
    Even kids with chicken pox
    Love hotdogs, Armour hot dogs
    The dogs kids love to bite!

Is this really even news? Can't we bicker about the economony or something important?
    By the way, my dog is better than your dog.

April 14, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  63. Eltrip

How silly. Just get the dog you want and tell others to mind their own business....

April 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  64. Heidi

Having never before owned a dog, my husband and I researched breeds and knew that we wanted a German Shepherd. And we looked at at the animal shelters for a dog for our family. One shelter would not allow us to rescue a dog because we had young children. Another shelter had very large, old, viscous sounding dogs that frightened us. A third shelter actually told us to get a puppy from a reputable breeder so that the dog would grow up with the kids. I don't care for "puppy mills", I don't think that reputable breeders are in the same league as puppy mill owners, and I'm all for rescuing dogs and cats, but not at the expense of my children. I love my dog, but when it comes right down to things, my children are ahead of him in the pack!

April 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  65. Ryan

What a bunch of bleeding heart sissys here! Last time I checked we live in a (somewhat) free country which promotes free enterprise. Yes you're entitled to your own opinion and I will respect that, but for those of you us that go to breeders 'disgust' you......... please get a life. Come to the realization that you can not and will not control what breed of dog I or anyone elses chooses to purchase as a pet. Why dont you go to the root of the problem and attack the dog owners that neglect their pets and allow them to bring unwanted litters into the world. Or how about the aholes that just dump unwanted puppies out in the country. The root of the problem is not the people who wish to purchase a full blood animal that has been bred for health and soundness. Get your facts straight! My $2000 english mastiff and I will be waiting to hear back :D. And I am a PETA member (people eating tasty animals)

April 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  66. Jana in OKC

I can't believe how much interest this topic has generated. I find it ironic that people who claim to care about freedom are "dictating" what this lady can do for a living. She's not asking for government handouts to raise and sell her dogs, and she's not forcing people to buy her dogs. Lets focus our self-righteous anger on the Nadia Suleman's of the world who are operating baby mills at the taxpayers expense!

April 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  67. Donna

Get real people. Can't you see that PETA and other animal rights activists are out to make vegetarians out of all of us? The real criminals are those that let their mutts breed and have unwanted puppies. There is nothing wrong with getting a purebred dog or cat. I have had both; my current cats are strays that wandered up. Even though I love all animals, I realize God put animals here for our use and service and for food! Human rights should come before animal rights!

April 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  68. Laura

It is neccesary for dog breeders to continue breeding to preserve quality breeds with healthy dogs with good temperments. However, what is not neccesay is for idiots who buy a pair of dogs to be producing "designer dogs" like "pomchis" and "labradoodles."

The real issue with animals in shelters isn't quality breeders, it's backyard breeders, puppy mills and irresponsible pet owners.

April 14, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  69. CJ

I see nothing wrong with dog breeding if it's done responsibly. Unfortunately, there are an awful lot of people out there who consider themselves responsible breeders who really are not. As for the person who mentioned that many people walk past a child getting a butt beating at Walmart, and do nothing about it...I'm sorry. Look at our kids today. I think not enough of them did have a good swat on the butt. I'm talking a swat, not an actual beating. Maybe if more of them had gotten a swat here and there when they earned it, our kids wouldn't be as messed up as they are today.

April 14, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  70. Mary Beth

EVERY mixed breed dog at a t shelter is the result of a misguided backyard producer....NOT the purebred dog community. If everyone got their pets from reputable breeder there would be NO shelter dogs. THAT is reality.

Every breeder I know, in the 35 years I have been a part of the community, cares about their puppies, takes reposibility for them their entire life, spends considerable amounts of money insuring only the healthiest are bred from, as no one wants the heartache of a preventable inheritable disease.

When you get a pet from a reputable breeder you get a support system for the life of that pet.. When you get a shelter pet you perpetuate the shelter systme and the irresponsiblity of those who cared not for that life, in addition to NO knowledge about that pets past , it family health, or how it has been raised.

April 14, 2009 at 3:18 pm |
  71. Teresa

I completely agree with Juliet. There is no reason to breed pets when so many are euthenized in shelters. People should adopt dogs from shelters and dogs should be spayed/neutered. I surely hope that Biden and Obama (fyi...I support and voted for them) will spay/neuter their pets. No one can care for 80 dogs. The dogs don't receive attention or walks unless there is a staff of people working for the breeder.

April 14, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  72. Farm Raised

I dunno...people do the same thing with cattle and nobody complains...how many farms are there with 80+ cows bred for the use of humans and kept in pens and nobody bats an eye? Why are dogs different? They're all animals...each has a heart and intelligence...same with pigs...goats...any farm animal...but dogs are different? What about chicken farms...people don't complain cuz they don't cuddle with a chicken like they do a little foo foo dog. I see no difference in raising dogs. I bet she has way more interaction with her dogs than any farmer has with their livestock. The biggest difference is that these dogs won't end up butchered and packaged up at your local meat counter.

April 14, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  73. Kansas

So if I hear correctly, I should not be allowed to pick out the dog of my choice because other people cannot handle or take care of the one they previously choose. This seems fair.

April 14, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  74. Lillianne

Is this the United States of American? Land of the free? Since when did we lose the freedom to choose any dog we want?

If you want a shelter dog, good for you. Go get one. If I want a Purple Portuguese People Eater that's what I'm going to get.

What has happened to common sense in this country?

April 14, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  75. Karl

I'm tired of PETA and animal rights activists. No one cries the blues when people keep having babies – and yet there are millions of children in the U.S. with no parents. The same animal rights activists are the same people that will not think twice about breeding their own baby while millions remain parent-less into adulthood. I don't get it. Yet as a gay, single man I would have to jump through hoops and wait years to adopt a child.

April 14, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  76. Ken

I believe there is a place for both adoption and breeders. I have obtained dogs from both. Adoption will work for many people but only if they have both the knowledge and time to handle a dog that has probably suffered abuse and like the puppy farms probably not properly socialized. They have to realize they are accepting the risk that they may have to put the dog to sleep if it can't be socialized.

For those not willing or unable to take on such responsibility the reputable breeders are the best means to obtain a dog with the characteristic you may be looking for.

April 14, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  77. Sean

I'm with a previous poster. I've supported PETA for over 12 years, but I am through with them. They are becoming domestic terrorists. I wish I could have my money back.

April 14, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  78. Michael Vick

You are all losers...they are just dogs. Who cares? Argue about something that really matters like human population control.

April 14, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  79. Responsible pet owner

TO:
    "MEL April 14th, 2009 3:01 pm ET

I agree with those saying each dog bred by a breeder represents the death of a perfectly wonderful shelter dogs. Shame on those that breed and those that buy-it is inexcusable. I say it is time to put breeders out of business. One poster mentioned that it is not a money-making venture to breed dogs anyway-so what would the breeders elimination truly hurt?"

It would mean that I would not be able to get another AKC registered yellow Labrador retriever - which I chose for specific reasons - someday to replace the elderly one I have now!

April 14, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  80. Tim

I see quite a few comments about 'adopting' and 'rescuing' as opposed to 'breeding'. Do these commenters have biological children or did they adopt?

Just something to think about...

April 14, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  81. MarkPDX

"The problem here is that there is NO reason for people to be breeding dogs, regardless of how well they take care of them."

Hmmm... the same could be said of humans... there is no reason to be breeding more of us, and yet we encourage people to continue procreating. Why? Because we're selfish and won't be happy until we occupy every square inch of the planet and destroy it.

April 14, 2009 at 3:14 pm |
  82. LilMouse

How can anyone in good conscience breed a dog and add to the population where there are already 3 million healthy animals killed in shelters each year?

Integrity of the breed? Give me a break. It's called GREED.

As much as I love my dog, I would have never even thought to breed him. Majority of these "breeders" don't know what kind of life their dogs end up living. Abused, neglected, back yard dog?

April 14, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  83. Lee

I must not be a "self-important" liberal since my dog came from the pound. Most liberals I know with dogs brought theirs home from the pound as well. Glad to know we don't get the smug, snide treatment, Tom. I'm also a Southern liberal living in Central MA where there are a lot of libertarians and Republican wannabe libertarians.

Jim: animals adopted from shelters are all spayed or neutered. A bad owner is a bad owner. If you are a good owner and breeder, there is no reason to be bent out of shape.

April 14, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  84. Michelle

The breeders protect the integrity, conformation, temperament and lineage of the purebreds. The ones who should stop breeding dogs are the backyard breeders of purebreds who only look at the profit to be made (and not the conformation to breed standard, temperament or lineage) and the owners of mixed breeds who allow their dogs to continually produce more unwanted mixed breeds.

April 14, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  85. Purebred Dog Owner

It's truly disheartening to see so many comments suggesting that anyone buying a dog from a breeder is being irresponsible and that they should get dogs only from shelters. I did not find a single comment condemning those who are truly irresponsible... those who allowed their dogs to breed or escape and become wards of the shelter. These are the people to blame... not the reputable breeders and those who support them.

All the comments talk about how "loving" and nice a dog in a shelter is. Maybe. But you have no way of knowing. Are there genetic conditions? Hidden health issues? What is the demeanor of the dog? Has it suffered mistreatment and is now overly aggressive? Is it safe around kids? You just don't know. If you do not care about the breed or history of your dog, getting an animal from a shelter is a wonderful thing to do. There are many great animals there. But just be prepared for what you are getting into.

Reputable breeders know the history of their dogs. They always try to breed to attain desirable traits. You have a much better chance of knowing what you are getting into. Good breeders are cautious about who they sell dogs to. They will interview you more than you interview the dogs. If they don't like you or believe you cannot manage their breed, you will not get a dog. Period. Some will never sell you a dog outright. They remain part owners and retain the right to reclaim the dog if they believe it is in the best interest of the animal.

Many breeders run rescues for the breed as well. They are called regularly by local shelters whenever a dog of that breed is found and unclaimed. They pick up the dog, provide medical attention, food, and shelter. All at their expense. They then incur the cost of trying to place it in a good home as well. Usually they ask for nothing more from a new owner than the actual expenses incurred.

So don't lump all breeders into a single category. If every dog came from a reputable breeder, there would not be many dogs in shelters.

April 14, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  86. VB

Someone on the board mentioned that: "Adopting animals is hassle"... It's unfortunate that people would share in this opinion. Adoption agencies just want to ensure that their animals are going to a family who could provide them with adequate care instead of abandoning the animal or mistreating it in any way.

In reading all of the comments above, I have not come across even one good reason for breeding dogs (or any other animal for that matter). It certainly isn’t for the benefit of the animal. It is just a selfish act on behalf of humans to make money on animals or get certain characteristics out of that animal that are attractive to us (again, for selfish reasons) .

A rescued animal can offer the same kind of companionship as any other dog or cat purchased from a breeder. I would urge anyone who is considering purchasing from a breeder to at least consider adopting first. Take a trip to your local animal shelter and visit the dogs/cats there, I think anyone would have a change of heart being in the presence of so many wonderful animals looking for a home.

April 14, 2009 at 3:13 pm |
  87. RK57957

I am appalled that there are so many who will whine about dog breeders and puppies that are sent to shelters, adopt more dogs people!

April 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  88. Li

For the people yelping about Biden not adopting a shelter dog, how do you know how many dogs he owns and where he got them? Do you people ever think before you post, or is it always knee-jerking for you?

April 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  89. Jan Davis, Knoxville, TN

These complainers must definitely be Republicans, the party of NO.

I feel sorry for this lady. I know VP Biden is enjoying his puppy.
    GO JOE AND BARACK!

April 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  90. Deidra

Juliet,
    You stated that there should be NO breeding of dogs with the multitude that are in shelters. Well....as many children that are in foster care and orphanages, should we stop women from having any more babies when there are so many beautiful children without homes? Just curious.

April 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  91. Cheryl

My husband and I got our first German Shepherd last May from Jolindy's (Linda Brown). We had visited many breeders before choosing Linda's.

She and her staff lovingly take care of her dogs even bringing them all inside during night hours.

Thank you Linda for giving us Ruger!

April 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  92. Michael

A a good number of you need to a lot of research on the difference between a puppy mill and a reputable breeder.

April 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  93. Dot

I just don't understand this "keeping the breed alive" thing. It sounds like they are trying to stop evolution. What is the point of maintaining the purity of German Shepherds, or Bulldogs?

April 14, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  94. Ginny

It is a shame that our President and VP missed the opportunity to adopt a wonderful shelter pet. With literally thousands upon thousands of healthy animals euthanized annually due to overpopulation issues, it is beyond me why anyone would "buy" an animal (not to mention the health problems many of the pedigrees suffer due to in-breeding).

We may think we "love" our animals but do we really "respect" them?

April 14, 2009 at 3:11 pm |
  95. Amanda

It is a never ending cycle like anything else. If we don't take the puppies puppy mill breeders make, then they die or go to shelter, if we do take them another puppy dies or goes to a shelter. What must happen first is that the government put restrictions on breeding, in one way to preserve breeds and also to prevent over-breeding. Breeders should be limited and require licenses to do so, perhaps. The solutions come in so many forms. Personally I have 3 pure bred dogs, not by choice. My Aussie was a great choice for my household and provided from a wonderful breeder friend of mine. My boxer was from a puppy mill and in absolutely disgusting conditions, so my husband and i felt it best to take her then leave her there and notify the appropriate people, and my chihuahua was on her way to the pound when I found her. Purebred or not, all animals are in trouble of being homeless. The key I truly feel is with the government and the laws.

April 14, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  96. jim

I was reading a comment from "Juliet" above. She said

"The problem here is that there is NO reason for people to be breeding dogs..."

As someone who loves dogs and has had many throughout my life. Why is it my responsibility to take in a dog that someone else abandoned? Aren't they the ones who are irresponsible and selfish? I think Juliet should focus on curbing the bahavior of the folks that are actually irresponsible and not expect the responsible ones to clean up their problems!

April 14, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  97. Matt

Yay, PETA once again shows it malice and hatred for humans. What do you call a group that supports fire-bombing animal shelters (for putting down dogs) while euthanizing over half the animals that they rescue?.....PETA

April 14, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  98. Kristy

Why do people assume that these animal rights groups are republican? Most animal rights people I know are all democrats. Secondly, I don't understand why anyone would buy a dog from a breeder when millions of dogs die in shelters. Mutts are great dogs.

April 14, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  99. Li

She received death threats from "animal rights" groups after she sold a puppy to Joe Biden? That's just unbelievably pathetic. Losers need to get a life. Or a pet.

April 14, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  100. Garry

We bought a German Shepherd from this breeder after ours passed away at 13. She loved all the dogs and is looking out for their welfare.
    She breeds them for intelligence. I bet our dog is smarter than any honor students of PETA parents.

Respectfully submitted,