American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 21st, 2009

Ron Paul: Secession is American

CNN's Kiran Chetry speaks to Rep. Ron Paul about Texas' governor's secession suggestion.

For ten years, Texas was a sovereign territory before joining the United States in 1845. It’s the stuff of legends that the “Lone Star State” could end the ties with the U.S. if its constituents want it that way.

Texas Governor Rick Perry, who's been highly critical of President Obama's stimulus package, raised the possibility that his state may one day secede from the union.

“We’ve got a great union. There’s absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people - who knows what might come out of that,” Perry told reporters last week.

The governor isn't the only one suggesting secession is not out of the realm. Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), a former presidential candidate, spoke with Kiran Chetry on CNN’s American Morning Tuesday.

Kiran Chetry: How serious is this secession talk?

Ron Paul: I don't think it's very serious. I don't think anybody called for secession, and I don't think the governor called for it. But he brings up an important issue. The biggest surprise to me was the outrage expressed over an individual who thinks along these lines, because I heard people say, well, this is treasonous and this was un-American. But don't they remember how we came in to our being? We used secession, we seceded from England. So it’s a very good principle. It’s a principle of a free society. It’s a shame we don’t have it anymore. I argue that if you had the principle of secession, our federal government wouldn't be as intrusive into state affairs and to me that would be very good.

We as a nation have endorsed secession all along. Think of all of the secession of the countries and the republics from the Soviet system. We were delighted. We love it. And yet we get hysterical over this just because people want to debate and defend the principle of secession, that doesn't mean they’re calling for secession. I think it's that restraining element of secession that would keep the federal government from doing so much. In our early history, they accepted the principles of secession all along.

Chetry: You said it's very American to talk about secession. It’s how we came into being. 13 colonies seceeded from the British. Are you likening the current situation to life under King George?

Paul: I think a lot of people are thinking that way. And I think that's what's important. People are angry. If we don't sense that, we don't know what's actually going on there. People are angry. I'm anticipating it will get a lot worse. When the dollar collapses and the federal government can't fulfill any of its promises, what if they send you dollars and they don't work. People aren’t going to have a violent secession; they’re just going to ignore the federal government because they will be inept. We'll be bringing our troops home and our empire will end. That's a different story. I think it's something we should talk about but we should institutionalize this principle. New England wanted to secede. No one challenged New England that it was unconstitutional in our early history.

Chetry: I want to move on to the bank bailouts. This is a source of a lot of contention. You've been opposed to them. Lately there have been some signs that perhaps it's working. Bank of America is turning a profit. Wells Fargo now saying they’re able to pay back the federal government and return some of that bailout money. In the end, could this have turned out to be the right move?

Paul: If a gangster steals money and he’s successful, you don't celebrate. Yeah they might be. This is just going to make the people angrier. They ripped us off, took all of this money, and now they’re making bundles? It's just an unfair system to penalize average people, inflate the currency and bring on another crisis and undermine the whole system.

So I would say a bank's success here and there is not necessarily something to celebrate. It's still pretty early. I don't think we're out of the woods yet to celebrate banks’ successes. What we have to realize is a lot of people stashed away a lot of money and took care of their bonuses and what not. You're not going to erase the anger that's come from that just because the bank made a profit. Like I say, it might make things worse.

Filed under: Controversy • Politics
soundoff (1,136 Responses)
  1. Matt

Secession is NOT American, it is treasonous. Secesion was tried once in this country and failed on the battlefeld; over 600,000 died to prove it wrong. Why would anyone in their right mind want to do it again?

April 21, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  2. Carl in CT

So RP is a traitor AND and idiot... what a shocker!

April 21, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  3. Annie

I like Ron Paul. I agree with a lot of his Libertarian principles. And in this case i think he's right – there's no harm in talking about anything.

April 21, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  4. Fuzzy

Please, secceed. Nobody in the other 49 would miss you, I guarantee. In fact, we could all ship our useless Republicans to Texas as a way of giving them "refuge". Now THAT would give us a union worth living in, and the wall we would build around Texas would insure no immigrants could cross over.

April 21, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  5. Vance

If you will study your history, Texas was not properly annexed in the first place. The US Constitution does not give the US the right to annex another country and Texas was a country at the time. Also a proper quorum was not present when the Texas annexation was voted on. As a Texan, the sooner we escape from the Obama Borg the better.

April 21, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  6. Keeno

Not really inclined to comment on what Sen. Paul had to say but I do want to comment made by "Aneta", "The state the spawned W, oh sweet Jesus, please go! Can we expedite the secession?"

Hey genius, your hated GWB is a Yankee-carpetbagging-old money-dandee from New Haven Conn. so now what? Perhaps you should put a helmet on before your high horse throws you into oncoming traffic...or then again don't bother.

April 21, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  7. Paul Hogue

Secession is treason, which is the only crime listed in the constitution.

April 21, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  8. paula Wesley

Bye, and good riddance. We can bring in Gwam, the American Samoans, for statehood.

April 21, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  9. Sam

Its amazing how many of you people are so willing to get rid of Texas.

That's really American of you.

April 21, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  10. Texan4Secession

AND BY THE BYE, no one heaped ABUSE and HATRED and CATCALLS on the little LIBERAL state of VERMONT when all they did was TALK about seceding from the U.S.A. all during G.W.B.'s PRESIDENCY.

You people are just p*ss-poor people and we in Texas hardly fear you and your liberal double-standards.

April 21, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  11. NO MORE REPUBLICANS!!!!

Ron Paul is an idiot, he appeals to the idiot Republicans who know there is a problem but arent sure what the solution is

April 21, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  12. hallux

Oh please just go then. And take the Dallas cowboys with you. 44-6.hehe

April 21, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  13. Robert Kent

It is not “American” to talk about secession, it is anti-American. No state has the right to secede…

We cheared when the Baltic states seceeded from the Soviet Union, but we don't have the same right?

April 21, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  14. Jim

The notion of succession is a very scary thought; I think Old King George of England had that same thought when some folks over in the colonies were griping about no taxation without representation. I would also wager to say that the folks in merry old England had the same comments back in the 1770’s like “Treason”, “Go Ahead we are better off without you”, and “See how well you do without the protection of the British crown and the Union Jack”. The fact of the matter is that anything can happen, like a group of farmers, slaves, and outcast’s dead set on making a statement that says we will not back down and ultimately routing the most powerful military force of the time. Sound familiar? We did it back in the late 1770’s. So the moral of the story the passage of time does not change monarchial or governmental tyrannical rule any way you look at it is wrong and people have the right to speak out.

April 21, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  15. Bjk in Omaha

And further more I had to live thru Bushes years in office and I had to stay in the Union and I had to pay taxes for wars I did not approve of, and I had to see all those cheesy yellow magnets on the back of all the Right wing Mini vans. And I made it thru OK and I lived to vote those guys out. It makes me believe they can exercise their voting rights also. So far the tax guy hasn't broken your voting arm. Vote your brains out but do shut up.

April 21, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  16. NO MORE REPUBLICANS!!!!

NO MORE REPUBLICANS! PLEASE REPUBLICAN STATES LEAVE THE COUNTRY ONCE KNOWN AS THE USA

I GET THE FEELING THE REPUGNANTS ARE GONNA HANG AROUND BECAUSE THEY NEED THE LIBERALS AND THE BLUE STATES TO SURVIVE

BUT PLEASE REPUBLICAN AND RED STATES LEAVE THE USA, YOU ARE NOT WANTED HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  17. I L

Actually Clark we have one of the highest per capita education costs in the entire world, and our primary education is terrible. Yet people come from all over the world to attend college (highly privatized relative to K-12). Coincidence? Yeah, throwing more money at problems is clearly a solution.

April 21, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  18. David

What a bunch of morons. Appears every other commenter is a yellow dog democrat, probably working for some media outlet. We did seceed from England by declaring our independence. By treaty, Texas does have the right to seceed by a vote of the people. Stay bent over people, you seem to like it.

April 21, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  19. Roddd05

Sid
    Great Comment....

It's funny how Bush gets a pass on everything that he did and now everything is all Obama's fault. None of these idiots are talking about the 1st stimulus that Bush sent out that went unaccounted for.

There's no way Obama could have gotten away with approving a 500 million dollar embassy in Iraq, how absurd is that.

April 21, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  20. Steve

If Texas decides to leave the union, then we should pull every federal dollar from the state. We should close every military base in the state and close every VA hospital in the state. No more highway dollars, no more federal unemployment insurance dollars and no more money for the National Guard. Nothing, that's right absolutely no more federal money for the state of TX.

When the stupid neocons consider all this then lets see what they have to say. Basically, TX isn't going anywhere, and neither are any other state of the defeated southern confederacy....stupid rednecks!!!

April 21, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  21. Texan4Secession

I'm a TEXAN for SECESSION. Let me tell you, the so-called "Anglos" of Texas are ANGRY, and we have MORE AND BETTER GUNS THAN ALL BUT 4 NATIONS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. We have the MEANS and we have the WILL to leave a false and non-representing federal government.

The Consititution is NOT THE BIBLE and carries no weight other than the weight people give it. I ANSWER ONLY TO GOD and GOD is sending the message: GET YOUR GUNS READY, YE OF THE ELECT.

April 21, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  22. jonny history

To clarify an earlier point. Texas at the time it joined the Union had the right to divide into up to five States. Then in 1861 it seceded from the Union. When Texas was admitted back in the Union it lost the ability to divide into five States. As far as certain Texans wishing to secede today that is poppycock. If anything, Mexico should get Texas back as it was stolen from our southern neighbors in 1836. I say lets forget the "Alamo" and give Texas back!

April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  23. Jeb Black

I've never seen so many uneducated comments in my life, but what would i expect from people who trust CNN to give them their daily news. These are likely the same people who think we live in a "democracy" and that the Federal Government has the answer for all their needs. Grow a pair people! Both parties have been flushing your money down the toilet by accepting a Federal Reserve that is NOT FEDERAL! At what point do you lame brains wake up and look at the bigger picture? I would proudly stand with a state that would uphold it's Constitutional Right over a state that lays down and takes the raping they've been getting over and over again from the two party power players.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servatude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not for your councils or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.................... ..-Samuel Adams

April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  24. Audrey in Georgia

Why do people who complain and whine that they want small, non-
    intrusive government, work for the government most of their working life?

April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  25. John

It is sad that there are so many people posting here that are getting themselves worked up over this.

Yes, Texas is a great state that can be self-sustaining. We also house the largest military base in the United States. No, most Texans do not wish to secede. Yes, we are larger than France and can take care of ourselves. We would be happy to let the United States import our oil, cotton, and produce. No, Mexico would not become a threat because nothing would change. Mexico would still be the country directly below us. No, most Texans do not drive pickup trucks and wear cowboy boots.

Yes, I am a native Texan who is proud of my family history and that we are in the Texas history books. I am also proud of my family's history in United States history.

No, I have never owned a pickup. I don't want one. I still have the same pair of boots from when I was in high school. In fact, that was probably the last time I wore them. I can only wish that I owned a few oil wells so that I could reap the rewards of the oil money. I like cattle because I enjoy having steak once or twice a month. I like fish better. We can catch them off our coast or off your coast...does not matter to me. They all taste good.

Contrary to what many people here are posting, we do have a pretty well-educated bunch of people in our state. Just like the rest of the states in the US. No matter where you go, you will have people who speak before they think and who get upset over things they have zero control over. That is just human nature. Unfortunately, they are the ones who are never wrong and can never admit or realize that they tend to be the ones who look bad after making crass statements without putting thought in to what they are saying.

Now, back to my job so I can drive my regular car back to my regular house, with my regular mortgage, and my regular family. Just like everyone else...

April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  26. conserve 56

Fred, the male version of Garafalo.

Those of you who spue the racist card time and again are showing your true ignorance of the issues.

Garafalo states that the tea party crowd doe not understand history. Give me a break. Based on the infamous television interviews during the campaign, it is clear a good portion of the Obama voters were abysmally ignorant about everything.

Racism is a card you play when you do not have anythign substantive and intelligent to say.

April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  27. jdc

Secession may be the only thing Washington will understand. Its bloated and out of control. States are being held hostage to the federal government and its supposed to be the other way around. Who gave Washinton the right to confiscate the money they take spend it on usless crap and then call the taxpayer greedy or unpatriotic if we dont like it. Washington needs to be brought to its knees and the only way to do it is threats of leaving the Union or better, financially starve the beast.

April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  28. dkm466

Texas should be able to leave, no questions asked. I think a North United States and A Southern United States should be allowed. Lets let States governern accordingly. Lets just see if the Texas model on less taxes, less government is a better model the the Northern States policy of tax and spend.

I'm betting a majority of the populations will move South.

April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  29. Lauren P

"New England wanted to secede. No one challenged New England that it was unconstitutional in our early history."– Ron Paul

What is that? There was not a US Constitution when the 13 colonies signed the Declaration of Independence. The US did not exist at that time...

To top it off, Jefferson and Hancock wanted to declare independence after England passed laws that lowered taxes but made the smuggling of sugar and other commodities more difficult. Texas wants to secede because the government is trying to make up for the deficit created by the previous administration.

And, let us face it. The desire in Texas to secede is really being driven by its fear that what is left of its socially conservative, rather bigoted, laws will be destroyed by the power of the federal government. But taxation is a better guise to hide behind because superficially, it makes Texans look like they are holding true to 'American values.'

C'mon Texas! Where are your American values? Real Americans (in Ron Paul's words) 'secede' or create new nations based on economic issues and policy. REAL countries don't secede over social issues–they just ask for a colony in which to escape persecution and then later hijack it when economic policy does not go their way. So Texas, to paraphrase your own racially driven words, "if you don't like it, get out!"

So Texas, appeal to Federal government for a colony of your own, preferably as far away from the mainland as possible. The rest of us Texans, the socially open-minded ones, that is, will convert all of your oil rigs and refineries into alternative fuel factories...

April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  30. Eli

Many cities in Texas are blue, and are just as outraged about this idea of secession. The republican idealogues are following along, and sane Texans fear seeing the makings of another Dubbya in Gov Perry.

April 21, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  31. Gary

I feel they may secede from the union only after they repay all the money that their state lost during the S & L scandal. I heard they were responsible for 3/4 of all the loses. Remind them that is plus interest!

April 21, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  32. Greg from Texas

Jack Jones from Nevada is right. The notion of the south rising again is not that far off if we continue down this path. And I'm not talking slavery so don't twist the words. I'm talking about the working man taking back his lands and his country and not allowing the politicians to tell us what we have to do and when. Texas has one of the highest GDP's in the world. So if you think Texas can't make it on it's own then you need to do some research. We have the oil, refineries, industry, farming, and enough production to be perfectly fine. As for the troops that some of you have spoken of, Texas also provides more troops for the US Army than any other state. Who do you think they will side with? Home or defunct country? Hmmm....hard to decide....duh!

April 21, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  33. Justin

Nothing but a bunch of hypocritical liberals on this site...as a fellow Texan I would gladly remove myself from any sort of association with borderline socialism.....let me guess, you guys think Hugo Chavez is a good guy?

April 21, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  34. Tom

WE as a Union are far from total congeniality. The theme of states rights is counterproductive for the good of all our citizens. There are many laws that apply in only certain states. They encompass vehicle traffic, rights to protect family, home and property, what you watch on TV, where and what you consume in certain commodities, to mention a few. Bottom line, from coast to coast we as American citizens are connected by our way of life and there should be NO DIFFERENCE on how the connections are made. What's good in Texas should be likewise in Ohio, Oregon, etc. Laws are written to protect the rights of our citizens, those rights should be equal everywhere in the good ole USA. There will always be a need for some small differences in state or local munincipal laws as applicable to those small differences. Where we connect the dots, is where we need to stand united.

April 21, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  35. Jeff

I talked with Dr. Paul about 20 minutes after that interview, and we discussed the interview a little more in depth. Escaping the monarchy of King George may not have been a secession by definition, but it was the same principal of freedom. If you're confused about the legality of secession, you should consult the constitution. The states entered the union under conditions that allow them to leave if their rights are violated. The 10th amendment has been violated in so many ways that every state now has the right to secede from the union. It's not anti-American; it's the only way to ensure that we remain free. It's the only way to ensure the government doesn't become too powerful (which it's definitely doing). If people don't want to stay in the union because the government is overly invasive, the solution is for the government to let the states be more free. And for those of you who are upset with Texas right now, perhaps you should check to see if you're living in one of the 19 other states that have declared state sovereignty and the right of the 10th amendment in the last year. That's right, 20 states have declared that they have the right to make or break any law not expressly granted to the federal government by the constitution.

April 21, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  36. Brookfield Bill

In denying that secession is treasonous and un-American, Mr. Paul reveals his total ignorance of the difference between revolution by a subservient colony and secession by a state of the Union. As others have noted, wasn’t the legitimacy and legality of the latter resolved by a little historical event called the Civil War. He needs to re-take a fifth grade U.S. history and Constitution course.

April 21, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  37. Denise

I didn't realize the new Republican thing to do was "cut and run". But since the divorce rate in this so called "Christian" society is 50%, could we expect anything less? Where is the respect for President Lincoln and those who gave their lives to keep this nation together? If you don't like the way things are headed right now, you can speak up in 2010 and again in 2012.

April 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  38. jim

Britain was a monarchy when the colonies formed the US. We have a constitution now. The constitution doesn't have any provisions for secession as far as I know. The last time someone had a notion to secede it resulted in the bloodiest war we've ever experienced. It seems as if there are problems now, rather than seceding it would make better sense to try an amend the constitution to deal with whatever difficulties that are causing people to talk about leaving the union.

April 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  39. Brad

I moved to Texas 6 years ago and not once did anyone protest Bush's actions. You were whiny and a sore loser if you even doubted the great George W. I got to experience the last election from this side of the fence and the ignorance and hate that was spouted off from the Texas right was amazing. But with all the garbage they spewed down here in Fox New's biggest market, the counties that contain Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio all voted blue. Maybe these crazy right wing politicians need to wake up and realize that Texas isn't just about the right anymore and spouting off this garbage is pushing more and more to the left.

April 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  40. Robert Kent

The Republic of California.

Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

April 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  41. Eddie

"Texas can survive without the United States but the United States can not survive without Texas."
    –Sam Houston.

April 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  42. C Kerrigan

I remember there were several other states that thought they had the right to secede from a union they had only joined fourscore and 4 years before, but they found it wasn't all that easy!!

April 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  43. Aestro

Come on guys, it's "SECEDE" not "succeed"!

As biased as I am against the "tea parties" anyways, Ron Paul further alienates himself from the saninty of moderate America by supporting these comments. The colonists rebelled because they were taxed WITHOUT being represented in Parliament. It would be like if Texas had no Senators or Representatives. It's not like America is the first or last nation to pay taxes.

A better comparison is the Civil War since states, you know, actually seceded. Hell, they even claimed they were seceding because of unfair taxes, which is an argument Southern apologists still use to this day.

Of course the arguments are treasonous. Republicans lost a fair election. They're not being denied any freedom or voice – their voice is the minority. Welcome to democracy.

April 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  44. Hudson

Here in New Mexico we have a saying- "Poor, poor, New Mexico. So far from heaven, so close to Texas".

We live all the time having to put up with Texans' alternating between bragging about being better and bigger than anyone else and whining about how much people don't respect them.

If they want to secede, let'm go. The country would probably be a better place without them.

April 21, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  45. Joe

These are scary comments. We have a room full of enraged experts here apparently. Most of you are taking general language from an interview and creating technical faults by Mr. Paul out of nowhere. Does this make you feel smart? Read the article and take what you may from it. Personally, I will be moving to Texas if they secede.

April 21, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  46. RJAM

One more nail in the GOP coffin. How can anyone take this party seriously when they talk like this? I have yet to see any positive move by the GOP to help bring about improvements to the US economy, foreign relations, energy dependence, health care, ANYTHING! They have become the party of "NO" and the party of "you are not allowed to smile when you are the president (per Newt G.) and now the party of "secession." The GOP has very quickly become a bunch of whining old white guys, yearning for the days of old. As a result, they are just as quickly becoming irrelevant. It's a shame.

April 21, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  47. JP

If you want to leave the Union, don't forget to take your state's share of the national debt. I'm sure we can credit you for Social Security and Medicare accordingly – the Union will still come out ahead anyway.

Also, if you're going to use it, please learn how to spell it. It's secession, not succession.

I'd be curious to see how many people who are in favor of a state's "right" to secede are also against gay marriage. I would argue that secession is bigger threat to our society (you know, breaking up our country and all), than guys marrying guys could ever be.

April 21, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  48. kevin

Let me start by saying all those that think secession is un-american or stupid apparently doesn't know American history. What happened to free speech and thinking. if the federal governement is not doing it job and the state is why does that make it wrong to want to separate. we fire people everyday here for just that, not holding up your end of the deal. there is one important thing ppl seem to miss in this conversation. if a state seceded what stops the state from to much power. that's the key problem to secession. I think the true problem is the way we elect officials. why are only 2 parties allowed to debate? why cant i vote in a primary, ohh yea cause i am not registered in any particular party. If we want to fix the current tax problems, why is no one talking about fair taxation. http://www.fairtax.org this is a system that is not perfect but it is a far cry from our current problems. our government is suppose to protect us from double taxation. do you realize how many taxes are imposed on any given item prior to you buying it and paying those taxes. what gives the government the right to have taxes almost 100% of what the item cost. did they forget all the taxes the company paid to produce the product. THE NUMBER 1 PROBLEM IN AMERICA IS OUR TAX LAWS. if we change the way we think and act we can change our country to better suit our children. AMERICANS FOR FAIR TAXATION. http://www.fairtax.org

April 21, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  49. Brookfield Bill

In denying that secession is treasonous and un-American, Mr. Paul reveals his total ignorance of the difference between revolution by a subservient colony and secession by a state of the Union. As others have noted, wasn't the legitimacy and legality of the latter resolved by a little historical event callent the Civil War. He needs to re-take a fifth grade U.S. history and Constitution course.

April 21, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  50. David Lyne

I am a Texan and proud of it, I have never even considered all this talk of secession to be serious until I read some of the immature comments on this board regarding Texans.

Keep up your rhetoric, and you will only anger the Texans that do not agree with this stance. In doing so you are making the situation worse.

April 21, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  51. Mary

This is just another temper tantrum the GOP is displaying. Obama is president; we put up with your idiot for 8 years, cut the rest of some slack. The GOP acts like they didn't have anything to do with the corruption of Wall Street, Banks and Oil speculation. This mess happened while Bush was asleep at the wheel (black out of Calfornia, 911, waterboarding etc.,). We have lost over 4,000 young men in women in a war that was trumped up for personal greed and the same people that are belly aching now where supportive of the Bush Doctrine (did anyone explain that one to Sarah Palin or is she still blissfully ignorant)? Leave Texas alone and the people who want to succeed move out of USA and leave the rest of us to get on with building our great country back up to the way it was before the Bush/Cheney dynasty. I have family in Texas and I can assure you they think the Governor and Ron Paul are nuts.

April 21, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  52. Arturo Hernandez

You people are ridiculous...read and research new other than our liberal corporate media. We did secede from England because of what we consider abuse, tyranny, and taxes. It is un American to not stand up for our rights and hold our government accountable. If they are not working in the interest of this nation and its people and only interested in appeasing wealthy bankers, then it is justified for people to feel its time to replace the government or secede. BTW every president is a puppet of the central bankers. WAKE UP.

April 21, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  53. I L

To all the liberals out there crying 'we didn't want to secede during the Bush years!' trust me, conservatives would LOVE the idea of you people doing your own thing. Without CA, MA, NY we wouldn't have to be dealing with the idiocy of your 'stimulus plans,' socialization of health care, and other ideas that economists agree are terrible. And honestly, stop the reactionary blaming Bush for all your problems. Try to fit some logic in your arguments. WE THE PEOPLE caused the current economic crisis through our own greed, not democrats or republicans.

April 21, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  54. Rosaadriana B'ham AL

OK leave already!!

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  55. Clark

It is not "American" to talk about secession, it is anti-American. No state has the right to secede...that was settled by the Civil War. The only way out of this union is by armed insurection. The 14th Amendment extended federal jurisdiction into all the states and overrode the 10th Amendment (Lincoln, a Republican, did not believe in states' rights).

Democrats who were against the policies of President Bush were branded traitors for their opposition. Power has changed hands, as it has throughout this country's history. It is remarkable that the Republicans simply cannot deal with the inevitable swing of the pendulum, and the solution is to secede.

The model for economic recover that the current administration is using is the exact same as the one Japan and Sweden used, successfully. When we bailed out the savings and loan system under the first Bush, we recovered from the huge debt. Yes, thing will have to change. Past presidents raised taxes during wartime...Bush cut taxes. We now have the lowest personal tax rate of any western country. The slashing of taxes has destroyed our educational system, caused massive debt, and allowed our infrastructure to crumble. It has become a country with no conscience. You can't have your cake, and eat it too.

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  56. dan

If Texas left the union other states would quickly follow. It would be great to see the two different parties run their own countries. The left would have high unemployment due to welfare people not wishing to work and live off the taxpayers, business would suffer because of high taxes and regulations on the environment, health care and everything from banks to newspaper would be run by the government. Sounds a lot like Russia.
    The downside is that Texas and the other states would have a communist country as a neighbor.

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  57. Courtland

ironic that you think Succession would be good sense economically for Texas. for every dollar Texas sends to the federal government they get back $1.02. So no, no one in texas would get a 30% tax cut, that is a shear fantasy.
    And of course never mind the fact that Succession is NOT a right enumerated to any of the states in our constitution, or the fact that the treaty that brought Texas INTO the union required texas to WAIVE the right to ever succeed in the future.
    Texas has no right to leave, and even indulging in such a fantasy is treasonous and just demonstrates what Colossally bad Loosers Conservatives really are.

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  58. M

If you think that these ideas weren't around and being discussed during the W years then you obviously weren't paying attention, or maybe you were only getting your news from CNN. The only difference is that now the neo-cons have jumped on board and they're using this platform as a way to bash Obama, e.g. the tea parties.

Also, everyone if you don't know, please go and find out what teabagging (t-bagging) means before you start using it in sentences.

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  59. Florida

Republicans these days!

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  60. John In Texas

I cannot believe Rick Perry's quote or stories like this in reaction to it! The notion that Texas has the right to secession is a MYTH. Texas has the unique right to divide itself into 5 different states...but not the right to secession. The fact that our own governor and these media types don't take the time to read a little history (not to mention the Texas constitution) is appalling. For the record: TEXAS DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SECESSION. Look what happened when they tried it last time...

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  61. Will you post me this time?

Here's another comment that won't get posted.

It's pretty sad to see this issue become so distorted, on Perrys' part and alot of people here.

It's American to stand together, yet here we go with GOP this, Dem that – get a clue – it's not about parties, it's about freedom. For all. When you stay in this mindset of R v. D – you miss out on the real story. Stay distracted by the movie, I guess that's easier and less time consuming.

When the dollar does collapse, and fiat currencies do, the lack of unity will rip the country to pieces. Too much bickering without looking into the core reasons of how we got to this point.

Call it what you will, America was formed from leaving the oppressive tax gods across the pond. The government works for the STATES, not themselves. When the government is no longer listening to the STATES, they are well within their rights to leave.

How about we talk about the MIAC report? I'm sure Ron Paul would have some comments on that – and it is very relevant to this article.

GO RON PAUL! AUDIT THE FED!

Never forget who works for who.

April 21, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  62. Ricardo

Texas would be a Third World Country. It is the #1 State in the Union for Drunk Drivers, very low education level among it's citizens, low per capita earnings, a high murder rate, high amount of people with no medical insurance & is among the highest states grabbing Federal Aid Dollars. Rick Perry needs to brush up on his Federal Law, Texas has no 'right' to even talk about leaving the Union. Perry really needs to get a life, he's just another grandstanding Texan in the mold of GW Bush, all talk, no brains.

April 21, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  63. Warren

Bush added $6 Trillion in debt over 8 years, this is obscene. However, Obama is going to add $3 Trillion in debt in 1 year and is on pace to add $12 Trillion in 4 years. Think about that. It took 230 years to rack up our current debt of $12 Trillion, and Obama will double that in only 4 years. If you don't want to secede from Washinton D.C. then you are too blind to see the brick wall we are about to smash in to. This is not a Republican or Democrat issue, both are to blame. Our only hope of salvation is to immediately dissolve our federal government and start from scratch. Seriously people, in 4 years we will be $24 Trillion in debt and the dollar will be worth about $0.10. We must act immediately.

April 21, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  64. Erik Osterrieder

This is expected from Perry, who only mustered 39% of the vote for re-election. Clearly, he doesn't speak for the majority of Texans. Even Republicans don't want him in office any more. As for Paul, I expected more even though I am a Democrat. He just sounds stupid here, for example, Texas didn't "secede from England." This is yet another instance of the Republicans hating everyone that doesn't think exactly like they do. Sad.

April 21, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  65. Paul Rever

Ron Paul is right.
    They are pulling the wool over a majority of our eyes.
    Once the shell game has been revealed, the gig will be up, and almost everyone will be irate and will demands answers. When the answers don't come, or make sense, people will loose all remaining faith in the Federal Gov't. Then what are they supposed to do, continue with the charade of a Union and Federal Gov't where the will of the people is ignored? Anyone who thinks we live in a Democracy is dead wrong. We're supposed to live in a Republic, not a democracy...and the Federal Gov't gets all of their power and legitimacy from We The People. When we doubt their legitimacy and refuse to give them powers anymore what will they have?
    Either we will start over again, or we will be living in a facist dictatorship...there's no other option...

April 21, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  66. Adam Ellis

I personally hope that the bailout works, but in my heart I fear that Ron Paul may be correct. If we do face additional economic issues while other nations prosper, I'm not just worried about succession but also about how many Americans will become expatriates? That will just make it worse for all of us who stay...

April 21, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  67. David Frazier

Ted G " Democratic Congress " Are you kidding me are you really saying George Bush got help from Democratic Congress ? That was the last 2 yrs of 8. Can you Count or are you just another GOP talking Head. Get your Fact before you talk please. Oh Wait you belong to the FOX party oops GOP party you don't deal in Facts

April 21, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  68. Lar

To "T", I agree wholeheartedly. But what if our country doesn't survive the Obama power grab?

April 21, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  69. Who's to blame

The last time a state tried to secede, my family fought on the wrong side of that war. They were simple farmers who did not understand that the Confederate leaders were taking them down the wrong path. They were too poor to own slaves, but they defended the right of slaveowners to force adult men and women to work without pay or decent living conditions, to be bought and sold, and to own the children of slaves.

The next time a state tries to secede from the United States, I will be fighting on the right side, on the side of the Constitution and democracy. Let those traitors who talk secession be warned. I have never owned a gun, but I will avail myself of my second amendment rights to preserve this nation.

April 21, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  70. Gus The Willie - Former Republican

Just another ploy by the Republican Party trying to regain a lost foothold in what they once enjoyed in Washington D.C. So quit your pouting Rick Perry and Ron Paul, the world will still be here when you fade into this country's history. Too bad, this is the best the Republican Party has to offer. I don't agree with all the Obama Administration is offering, but my faith lies in the will of this country, and we will again prevail against all adversities as always.

April 21, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  71. Gerhard Steinmetz

I thought it was "Patriotic" to dissent.....oh well, I guess the Dems were wrong unless, of course, they are in power then it's baaaaaad !

April 21, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  72. Jeff

You guys aren't really getting it...mainly because you're speaking along Republican/Democratic lines. First off, Ron Paul is for all practical purposes a Libertarian. He simply has to run as a Republican b/c that's what our "democracy" requires...the two party system where each party plays a charade to keep the American public distracted from what the government is..."an unfair system to penalize average people."

Ron Paul is against the American government having too much power, that's why he's saying that succession should still be a threat to the national government.

All of the bickering about Democrats and Republicans on here proves that the government's charade is working too. If people would wake up and actually research and listen about what is going on instead of reacting to what is being said they would probably realize certain things like:

Legislation is being passed to create an European-Union like state in North America (if you have any knowledge of the steps taken to form the EU this would be obvious), our government keeps it's citizens ignorant and sick (the supposedly most advanced society lags significantly in education and has chronic illness rates approaching 50%), the Fed and IRS are cartels that keep Americans in debt and virtually slaves to a banker class (hint bailout).

Unfortunately intelligent and impartial people like Ron Paul often point these things out but Americans can't grasp what's going on because most are either: too distracted by the theater of politics and the 24 hour information blitz telling us what Britney Spears did last night, or too dumb and tired because where undereducated, fattened up (30% obesity rate) and drugged (over 40% on Rx drugs).

GET A CLUE AMERICA!

April 21, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  73. Gerald

And so Ron Paul's basic right-wing hypocrisy shines through the thin veneer of his libertarian populism. He's just another politician who thinks it's oh so important to have "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and then conveniently ignores the word which directly follows that religious phrase, when it suits his politics.

April 21, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  74. A to the Z

I love how everyone keeps bringing up Bush (im not a lib or conserv) when bush was a neo-con witch essentially is a liberal in conservative clothing. Its sad that it takes money to make people stand up for themselves. When the patriot act was enacted we should have had a full blown revolution but the American public is to sycophantic to even notice. This country is so far from what it is founded on its a complete joke. We live (by defenition) in a facist government. Facism is state controlled capitalism and with the bank bailouts and fireing of ceo's we have officailly become a facist government and the public is too stupid to even see it.

April 21, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  75. Cody from Illinois

I think the GOP needs to get their foot out of their mouths – if they can stop shooting it first.

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  76. RXPJGD1

LOOKS LIKE ALOT OF DEMOCRATS ARE SIPPING THE SAME SAUCE BARRY IS DRINKING..... RON PAUL IS THE MAN

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  77. Trip

Has it not become apparent that the President of the United States does not control this country? Who runs this place are those that give, take, and fritter away jobs.

And to the person speaking about England, well, just proof that we all spend 12 years in a government screw up. Secession was not a part of our vernacular then, but yes: we seceded from England to form our own Union.

This is also a pointless conversation as words and clever articles are great, but why would the government CARE if we as a people were mad?

They don't, they never will, will remain the opulent, tricked into thinking we are the majority, and we will always live by the damn motto "You are born, you pay taxes, you die" until we get off our fat, lazy asses and exercise one of the most beautiful pieces of the constitution: to change government itself.

Mr. Madison, I am sorry, but the experiment you had Jefferson draw up has run on too long.

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  78. A Texan

To all of those who left comments such as let Texas play in their own sand box, the rest of the country would be better with out us, go away, please leave and other nonsense – you might want to know that Texas is a major contributor to resources Americans depend on everyday. We not only have oil and gas but the necessary refineries, chemical plants, ports, agriculture and livestock, among other things After we secede and your cost of living increases as a result, maybe you'll rethink your position on telling my state to get lost.

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  79. Amy Rodrigues

Ron Paul stated that New England seceeded, and no-one challenged New England that it was unconstitutuinal early in our history. I would like to respectfully point out that there was this little dust-up as a result of New England's actions. Historians call it the American Revolution. It happened as a result of New England's actions, and I would think it qualifies as 'challenging' those actions. There was also another war, called the Civil War, in which states fought to determine, among other things, whether final say rests with the state or with the federal government. The end result was that the federal government, as elected by the people, is the final arbiter of the law–which Texas submitted to.

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  80. Kevin

Why can't we talk about seccession?

Are any of you liberals going to stop anyone? I didn't think so.

Stick to watching your American Idol, and driving your hybrid's.

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  81. Chris

Republicans are two-faced and duciplitous (oh, and sore losers).

Luckily, anyone who's got a couple of brain cells to rub together agrees they are bumbling idiots who can only justify their position to their close-minded cronies.

Any media who gives credence to their statements put themselves at risk of losing their own credibility.

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  82. bjarnson

Ron Paul is addicted to the limelight -what will he think of next to get in the news- he supports legalizing cocaine, commiting treason, what 's next Paul? How about term limits for members of Congress?

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  83. Jeannie Klinetob

Secession is sounding better and better to me. I HATE where our country is headed. The very things that individuals have done to get us in this mess are now the very things Congress is doing to get us out. It won't work!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  84. Michael

The Texans are late to the party. Secession has been a serious topic of conversation in the Southeast for years. I'm talking about conversations among educated people. Given the opportunity to vote out of the union, many would be stunned at the percentage of Southerners that would vote out. We've felt disenfranchised for years. Has nothing to do with the current president. Someone should do a poll.

April 21, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  85. Ryan

All of you people on here screaming to let Texas leave you know nothing about the flow of money in this country. If Texas leaves the consequences would be dire. Besides all of you people on here bashing Texas when your all moving here 1000's at a time. Stay there no one is asking your to come.

April 21, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  86. Vinny

I disagree with all our money being shelled out for congress and the administrations' paychecks and all their perks. Most of them get kickbacks from one thing or another and Americans are sick of it! It's been going on for years and is just getting worse. The only reason they're bailing out banks, big business, etc., is because they won't have a job if they don't. They all owe favors. Stop siding with the billionaires who own the dems and the repubs. Get a mind of your own people! We have the power, let's use it to really change things, not to attack other Americans!

April 21, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  87. dustin

he was asked if he was likening our current situation to living under King George, and he essentially said he was. Which is totally absurd. Just as the 'tea party ' protests were absurd in that historically the comparison they are trying to do here makes no sense. And this talk of secession is just over the top rhetoric from a party that if failing to see how out of touch with reality it is.

April 21, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  88. Brenda Spears

I live in Texas and the ones talking of secession are a group of sore Republicans. They seem to appeal to uneducated groups. Unless they get smart and quit criticizing everything President Obama does, they aren't going anywhere. He had a big mess to contend with and he is doing the best he can. Just get over it. You lost.

April 21, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  89. Dev

Is Ron Paul confusing recession with secession ?

Does he want Texas to secede or recede? I am not sure...

April 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  90. 2nd Thought

TX, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE SECEDE? My friends and I will help you build a fence along your northern border. No more Enron, Bushes, Cowboys (the football team and the regular kind), no more Texans in the voting/gene pool. This is like Christmas in April! I was promoting the sale of Texas to China (think about how much we could get for Texas!) but this might be better. Though the Peoples Republic of Texas does have a nice ring.

Just remember, once you're out you can't come back!

April 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  91. razmataz

varangianguard April 21st, 2009 10:56 am ET

We didn’t “secede” from Great Britain. Not enough space to explain how ignorant that usage is. Would expect better from Ron Paul.

Yes, in fact we did, by virtue of the Declaration of Independence, that's exactly what we did, the revolution was merely a by product of the secession.

April 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  92. Brian

While I'll agree that the colonies did not secede from Britain, I do belevieve (if I'm not mistaken) that our colonies did secede from the federal government under the Articles of Confederation. Secession is not something to be villified. Our colonies seceded from the Articles of Confederation in order to adopt our current constitution. Had they not, we'd still be under the A.O.C. Now, arguably, the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional and illegal to secede shortly after the Civil-War; however, many people believe it to be a political play to villify the South afterwards...which makes one wonder why no southern Generals were tried for treason...possibly because they didn't do anything illegal?
    I also see alot of partisan BS on these boards which, frankly, is the main source of our problem. Many of you who urge Texas to secede also forget the ENORMOUS amount of oil reserves and refineries in Texas. Could you all imagine the blow to the economy? And as far as the law and Constitution is concerned, it's not illegal to talk of secession. It kind of goes along with that whole "Freedom of Speech" thing....

April 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  93. Mary

And now here comes the wave of whining liberal remarks about Bush did this or Bush did that....wauuggh!! So predictable our Dumbocratic counterparts are.... Good for Texas.

April 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  94. Trae

Liberals love to talk about free speech – so long as the speech is in line with their beliefs.

April 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  95. skip

When the colonies split from England it resulted in a 7 year war. When the south ceded from the union it was a 4 year war. Do the politicians in Texas really want to incite an armed conflict with the United States?

April 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  96. Jeff H. Reynolds

I've believed in secession for more than 20 years now. As a native Texan... I realize that Texas and it's people may well be better off on their own... especially when Washington ignores the needs of states like Texas in favor of other states who's interests are completely different. Texas can easily be self-supporting. It's sad that our elected officials in Austin won't seriously consider such a move.

April 21, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  97. Josie

Kiran Chetry erred here. She notes that the bailout seems to be working, in part because Wells Fargo is able to pay back their portion of the bailout. But Wells Fargo was never struggling financially, like Bank of America. Many banks were forced to take the bailout money, regardless if they needed it or not. The Feds did not think it wise to single out just the struggling banks, as that might cause a panic. So concluding that the bailout is working because some major banks are posting profits even though they were never struggling is just irresponsible journalism.

April 21, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  98. Bruman

Secession in the 13 colonies was primarily about an external power imposing taxes without any representatives, and then using troops to enforce those laws.

Secession in the period before the Civil war was about some states insisting that they had the right to deprive other human beings of the rights of freedom and fair treatment guaranteed others in the US Constitution. These secessionists did have representation and used it to the best of their ability to perpetuate the "peculiar institution" of slavery. When they didn't get their way, they attempted to secede.

Secession talk today appears to be based on objection to taxation even in the presence of having representatives (many, actually) tasked with the development of taxation practices. Moreover, there seemed to be little talk of secession during the "good times" when government policy supported practices that got us into the crisis. Secessionists today simply want to have the party and leave the bill to others. They enjoyed the benefits of an overspending society undercautious, and now they want to run from responsibility for their part of the bill. Hardly the goals of honorable men or women. I would think most true Texans would be ashamed to run from responsibility like that.

April 21, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  99. Fred

I believe all this talk is simply racism at it worst. There are those Americans who just can't accept having a black President. Most of the things with the Banks that make this racist group angry were already in place by a Texan President long before Obama became President.

April 21, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  100. Steve

Ron Paul, what a load of crap! Let's just face it. Some people are still bitter about losing a not-even-close election. If you think leaving the union is ok, why in the world would you run for the president of the UNITED states in the first place??
    Last I checked, when our forefathers left England and eventually formed this country, they actually LEFT England. So if you want to find your better place, please do us a favor, go find yourself a piece of land and LEAVE with the rest of bitter people who can't get over a loss! No one is holding you back and the Red Coats won't be coming.

April 21, 2009 at 11:28 am |