American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 4th, 2009

What's on tap – Thursday, June 4, 2009

President Barack Obama delivers his highly-anticipated address to the Muslim world on June 4, 2009 in the Grand Hall of Cairo University in Cairo. Getty Images

Happening now – President Obama speaks to the Muslim world.

An important and highly anticipated speech designed to repair relations with the Muslim world – The president has apparently been working right up to the wire. It's a big moment for his presidency and we have a big team with us to break it all down. CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley is here with Chief International Correspondent Christiane Amanpour. We're also joined by a panel of foreign policy experts, Republican strategist Ed Rollins, Democratic strategist Lisa Caputo, Fawaz Gerges, Middle East scholar at Sarah Lawrence College and Robin Wright, author of "Dreams and Shadows: The Future of the Middle East." It's a big moment for the White House and we have a big team here with us to give you the best coverage possible.

Tell us your thoughts on President Obama's speech on Twitter @amFIX

Filed under: What's On Tap
  1. Angel

I am soo amazed at how people are not familar with the power of words. The bible tells u over and over how powerful words are, i.e., "A tongue is like a two-edge sword," and my favorite, "Death and life lies in the power of the tongue." Obviously our President is wise enough to know this. It is amazing that alot of people have Knowledge but lack wisdom. That is like living in society being half dead. Wisdom is like money, a necessity. The bible even speaks of that. A college can't provide wisdom, but i am the type of person that expects at least half of the people who went to college to have it.. with that being said, Obama has to give speeches first...only a fool wld avoid speaking on an issue that needed to be addressed. A wise person addresses the problem, step one , step two, then they act upon it...a fool disclothes hisself with patience and expects everything to happen overnight...Remember, that it took Bush nearly 8 years to tear America apart. where were voices then? Obama is doing and saying what is right 4 this country. Descent people rather have peace instead of war. A fool loves alot of drama. I wish you people had enough spunk to speak up when Bush was up in you.. And i mean all up in you. But then again, some people love drama. ...THIS IS TO YOU BERNICE, IT TAKES SOMEONE EDUCATED AND WITH WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG. I AM SHOCKED AT HOW NEGATIVE YOU ARE ABOUT UR VOTE. ONLY FOOLS TRY TO COMPLY WITH THEIR DESCIONS, BC THEY ARE NOT ONLY NEGATIVE AND HAVE NO HOPE FOR THE FUTURE, BUT THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO HAVE THEIR LIFE IN ORDER..PLEASE JUST SIT BACK AND RELAX. IT ISN'T THAT SERIOUS WHERE U HAVE TO CONTIMPLATE ON NEGATIVE THINGS HAPPENING TO YOU IN UR LIFE ALL THE TIME..YOU EXPECT OBAMA TO CURE A 3TRILLION DOLLAR DEBT IN ONE YEAR. CAN U EVEN CLEAR A 10THOUSAND DOLLAR DEBT IN 4YEARS? I just can't believe how Bush has really messed up alot of people's mind. Obama is here to put more optimism into your heart. If I were you, I would be happy that someone was positive while i lie in misery of pessimism. I can't believe how many negative and ignorant people blog. OH, AND BEING A GOOD SPEAKER MEANS NOTHING. ASK BUSH. HA..BUT BEING AN EFECTIVE SPEAKER THAT SPEAKS WITH HONESTY AND TELL YOU WEAK PEOPLE THE TRUTH IS WHAT WE NEED AND HAVE. IF I WERE PRESIDENT, I WLD MAKE EVERYONE THAT WAS AGAINST ME FIND ANOTHER PRESIDENT TO FOLLOW. I WLD RAISE THEIR TAXES SKY HIGH..WHY? BECAUSE I HATE IGNORANCE. IF YOU ARE THAT GULLIBLE TO SHUT UP WHEN THE COUNTRY WAS GOING DOWNHILL WHEN BUSH WAS IN OFFFICE...HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU LOOK WHEN U SPEAK AGAINST SOMEONE THAT IS TELLING U THE TRUTH...EVEN ASKING 4 UR DUMB OPINION? YOU GUYS ARE BLESSED TO HAVE OBAMA..I SEE WHY BUSH WAS ABLE TO GET OVER. NOONE WAS USING THEIR COMMONSENSE. IT IS LIKE A WOMAN BEING ABUSED WISHING HER ABUSER WAS STILL THERE ,SO THEY CAN WRK THINGS OUT. GET WISE AS TO WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT IS BAD. IF YOU HAVE TO ASK IF HE IS HONEST, IT'S ONLY BC U ARE NOT...U SHOULD BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY TO PEOPLE LIKE U AND WHO ARE THE OPPOSITE. IF NOT, I HOPE UR BOSS GETS OVER YOU....AND THE SAD THING IS, YOU WILL LIKE IT...

June 4, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  2. Bernice

I give him at least this ...He is an excellent speaker. Much so, that I think he is fooling alot of highly educATED PEOPLE! i DO HOPE THAT i AM WRONG, BUT i DO NOT THINK THAT i AM. we THE PEOPLE VOTED FOR THIS. oNE DAY, YOU MAY JUST ALL EAT YOUR OWN WORDS AND FIND THAT YOUR VOTE HAS COST YOU NOT ONLY YOUR FREEDOM, BUT OUR COUNTRY AS WE KNOW IT. Sorry, Serious typo, but I don't have the time to undo this one! lol Hey, keep a close eye on this one. Being a good speaker does not imply that you are telling the truth! Be ever so careful. "We the People". I have always loved the sound of those words. We can undo our damaging vote in under 3 1/2 years. We will pay for this for years to come. Do not trust in everything that you hear! Educate yourselves first!

June 4, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  3. Janne Swearengen

I have been one big chill bump since tuning into CNN's coverage of President Obama's speech this morning! As a 60-something female, I am so very proud to be an American and live during this new era for us all.

June 4, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  4. lasean Taylor

The republican party has no leg to stand on. Nothing but false hope,fear and global destruction. Both bush administration's (reganomics) have displayed tirant like mob tactics of a dictatorship here in the us, and across the world. It just seems to me.... That old Americans are incapable of seeing a unified world where all are equal.

June 4, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  5. david

Jason, Pres. Obama hasn't started any wars. Where did you get that info? From what I said, hmmm. I don't remember saying that.

June 4, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  6. david

danielle,
    "I have indeed chosen all of these paths at one point or another but whatever direction my life may take, in a throwaway world it will end. It will end no matter what you or I do."

one person can make a difference, and it is people like you whom ultimatly do so. so hang in there, you are a beautifully poetic person and people listen to what you say.

Ok Sally, your turn. I love everyone, even those who. My profession for the last 17 years is to train and motivate people do accomplish difficult task. I wasnt always good at it, but I learned that I can get just about anyone (even those who deeply apose me in the beginning) to do my bidding when they finally open their eyes to the fact that I respect them as people and are only trying to help them be better at what they do. I do that very well now, because I am genuine, and sincerely care. I care about Pres. Obama, I do not Hate him. I never said I did. Thats what you told yourself. I will admit that I dont see grey areas because ultimatly one must decide one side of the fence or another. Mr Obama ran his campaign on "HOPE". That wasn't good enough for me then and is not good enough for me now. He has had to back track more bad decisions so far and change his mind way too much. Because he had no plan. The presidency needs experience and plans of action, not guesswork. I HOPE the best for him, I hope he will learn that HOPE is not enough. I HOPE he quits screwing up. I feel eventually he will. LISTEN TO WHAT I SAID, "WE MADE THE MISTAKE." I didn't blame him, I blamed us "WE".

June 4, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  7. lasean Taylor

Not being an expert in polotics leaves me limited in areas on the matter. That said, Our presidant's speech in the mid east has strengthened my hope for world peace. Obama is the best leader for this planet for right now.

June 4, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  8. Colin

A masterful stroke of joining the past (History) to the present and framing the outlook of the future. Obama has once again demonstrated why he is the best hope for reaching a peace deal at this time. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless as to the history of our world and what has led us to this point, it has never been political but religious.

June 4, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  9. Linda

I am a Republican and have to say what an awesome speech.
    If his goal was to open honest dialogue, challenge young people and open minded people interested in progress to think twice about how we relate , he succeded. Now comes the heavy lifting with the policies that will embody these ideals . What an awesome and impressive preformance by our President. Republicans pls get your credibility back by being willing to say when something is done right we are beggining to sound jealous and irrelevant.

June 4, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  10. terry

the speach was for the young, planting seeds of tollerence for the furture.
    Mr.Collins and the old republicans had thier day, thats why we find ourselfs in this mess.
    leave it to the old men to talk about thier «big sticks»
    the time of bulling has passed.
    step aside Mr.Collins your time is up
    Terry

June 4, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  11. Jason

David think of the money that could be put into the americian people and much more productive things, besides wars.

June 4, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  12. Don

The speech by Pres. Obama to the Muslim world is really the best thing that happened in this century for building a new bridge between the West and the Middle-East to be specific and between Islam and and other religions at large. He really brought the message of Jesus, Gandhi, and Martin Luther King that "Eye for an Eye will only make the whole World Blind". I applaud what he did in his first speech of its kind to the Muslim world and this could be a new beginning to to so many of the young minds in the Islamic world.

June 4, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  13. Judy Devlin

Obama's speech reflects the majority of the good humans of the world who want World Peace.

And it made me see how the USA 'Party of No' republicans who listen to people like Rush Limbaugh, Cheney and extremist christians etc., sound like the Taliban and al quaida, and evil extremist fanatical people of the world. I now see the sad similarities. Both groups should feel great Shame and remorse and Stop their Hatred.

Bravo Mr. President!

June 4, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  14. Ann Radwan

President Obama in less than one hour has vastly repaired the damage that decades of disrespectful, and one sided rehtoric has done. Thank you Mr. President, you have resotred the iimage of our great country as true leaders of the free world.

June 4, 2009 at 8:32 am |
  15. St. Claire

I think the President's speech was phenominal. I specifically liked his message to Palestine about how freedom is acquired. As South African, I was pleased to hear hi mention how we got rid of the sheckles of apartheid as well as the civil rights movement here in the US where I now live. The war is not against Islam .....

June 4, 2009 at 8:31 am |
  16. Charmaine Garel

In President Obama's message to Muslims he said violence, is "not how moral authority is claimed, that's how it is surrendered". A message for all, I believe. We may need a few thousand of this guy to change this world but, it may work as well if we all let the Obama in us surface. My admiration grows all the time.

June 4, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  17. EvanJones

So, there are two videos from Obama's Cairo speech here. One is the intro., and the other is a segment of that intro. Would makes sense to post the full speech.........

June 4, 2009 at 8:26 am |
  18. sally

david, you need to open your heart and mind and gid rid of the hatred towards Obama that is blinding you from even seeing any good he could ever do or say. your negativitiy towards EVERYTHING he ever does reflects back and will affect YOU not him or us (supporters of him). No one agrees with everything he does, nor will you agree with any president, but what he brings to this world in such a critical time was truly god sent and much needed.
    Wish him well if you can instead of just predetermining that his policies and spending will destroy the country.
    I am a muslim, I thought his speach was outstanding and did what many muslims have wanted to do but don't know how to do, provide a voice of reason against the extremist. Many will think twice now before they decide to 'hate' a country who is ran by this president.

June 4, 2009 at 8:23 am |
  19. danielle pridgen

this last few weeks have been pretty difficult for me. i wanted to say publicly that although I am of my own faith, I do indeed draw from many different influences. I try to aim for a different kind of philosophy. this is my journal entry about my opinion. this is essentially the idea of a vague democracy. And it details my own innermost wondering, ramblings, that life as I've seen it is without meaning. this is my meaningless life and my future objectives. life without walls, full of peace.

President Obama's speech inspired me. he talked a lot about history and peace. and also mentioned the non-exclusive relationship between the us and the "middle east" or Islam in general. For me as a n American it kind of turns the table over on me. I feel that my paradigm has shifted and now I'm left wondering...

If it is the case that life has no meaning- that is to say that everything one can embark upon, feel, say, encounter, or believe, will eventually end and cease unto nothingness; even history shall disappear from consciousness on the last day of Earth- then what is there to do? Shall I go on telling myself that there is a purpose, or that what I do has any sort of significance? To simplify, let’s look at a few examples of this thinking. I could go about making meaning for myself by inventing or conforming to religion to avoid my mortality. I could tell myself that love and peace are the meaning, and set out upon a journey to enlighten myself in hopes of someday opening the minds of others. I might find a fight to become part of- whether against the godless, or unconscientious, or wasteful, or hateful, or oppressive people of the world. I have indeed chosen all of these paths at one point or another but whatever direction my life may take, in a throwaway world it will end. It will end no matter what you or I do. Myself, I get caught up in this thought and in realizing that the length of my life holds no significance. I say to myself, why not die right now? Of course I would not take my life for the obvious reasons that it would cause sorrow and anger in the people I love and they would find no consolation in my reasoning. That option is not available. Then I am left with a potentially long life in front of me, a desire to walk away but also a justification for choosing it. What will I then do with myself? Being a person of motivation and perfectionism, I know that whatever I decide upon will be given a lot of attention. So, one simple answer which seems sufficient for me at this hour is to say that since life is a trivial thing I might as well chase the silly and frivolous things it presents to me. This is my first objective: pursue flights of fancy. Second, considering that my only true reason for remaining alive is to avoid causing pain for those who have spent their time caring for me, it may be said that I am living to help others. If I am living to help others it is fitting with my personality that I should try to do so with my best effort and to my full ability. Consequently, I have discovered my second objective: love and care for others with all my might. These objectives, it seems, are the meaning to my meaningless life.

June 4, 2009 at 8:16 am |
  20. david

If Pres. Obama had said b4 the election "I (HOPE) I can waste 100 Billion dollars without the consent of the american people, and run a 3 TRILLION dollar defecit for our children in less than 1 year" would we have believed in his "HOPE" then? We need sustinance, a plan that would get 3 trillion for the American people, not "HOPE" alone. How could the American people have been so blind? I'll tell you it is because we were at a time when we were to busy with ourselves to care. We as Americans made a huge mistake. I HOPE WE ALL LEARN and do not make the same mistake when the polls open again.

June 4, 2009 at 8:04 am |
  21. C.

Just watched the speech and listened to the "panel"...

Candy Crowley & Lisa Caputo(?) try to credit Hillary Clinton with the bit in the President's speech about women & education/freedom of choice...

Do these people even do their homework?! Do they not know that President Obama's own mother was an integral part of the micro-financing initiative for women around the world...?!

June 4, 2009 at 8:00 am |
  22. JoePublicVA

Heres an idea....lets just give the Palestinians small-pox latent blankets, sign unenforcible treaties and move settlements into Palestine lands......Oh yeah! That was done 200 years ago here and we're still trying to live w/ the effects.

June 4, 2009 at 7:59 am |
  23. david

You want contrast Kerry? How about Democracy and this administration.

June 4, 2009 at 7:48 am |
  24. KERRY

I AM STRUCK BY THE CONTRAST BETWEEN THE WORDS SPOKEN BY PRES, ONAMA AND THOSE OF BIN LADEN. HOPE TRANSCENDS ALL CULTURES AND IT IS MY HOPE THAT THE SEEDS OF PEACE HAVE BEEN SOWN

June 4, 2009 at 7:42 am |
  25. Jason

President Obama's speech was great. He has to be one of the greatest President's of all time. I feel he breaks down boarders and his understanding, tolerance, respect for others is remarkable. He laid an important foundation for peace and well being for humanity in general. Truely amazing.

June 4, 2009 at 7:37 am |
  26. david

Well I am suprised at how many good things I heard and agreed with. Some good and some, well, did I hear Pres. Obama say something about saying one thing b4 being power then doing another, and in the same paragraph speak about not allowing people to prosper to words to that affect. Was he speaking of himself!?#?*? Yesterday I commented that I assumed(obvious to me) that he(Obama) chose Cairo simply to see the sights. Well I think people who can't see right through Pres. Obama real agenda are the same people who voted him into office. Those would be the same people who vote for a canditate because its who their parents told them to vote for, or the people that thought they would get something for free instead of educating themselves by at a minimum of at least paying attention to whats going on around them and then forming their own opinion. It's ashame that these peoples are allowed to vote. By the way, our gov now wants to allow anyone who is in the country to vote. How many terrorist will be voting?

June 4, 2009 at 7:21 am |
  27. Cris

I am disturbed at how words can be so socially good, politically correct, public appealing, peace & health promoting... & theologically unsound.

June 4, 2009 at 7:18 am |
  28. Mel

Speechmakers... it is NOT okay to use quotes from different sources... and merge them as if they lie within the same context!

June 4, 2009 at 7:16 am |
  29. Najib

The step, the President Obama is taking at this time in talking to the Muslim world, is enormously important for both parts. So, we all as a global community can get this world to a better and safer shore. But, what really can constitute a hurdle for this courageous step, is that the Muslims’world, as well as the political arena in the US, is not homogenous as might an average American think. The reality is that there are many divisions among Muslims themselves as there are among Americans as well. When I heard the President mentioning the fact that Morocco, where I am from, was the first country to recognize the independence of the US. I felt that the Mr. Obama wants to open a new page between the west and east. A page of mutual respect and mutual interest are dominant above all.
    To finish I just want to thank Mr. Obama for this magnificent speech and I think It will be unforgettable for quite some time.

June 4, 2009 at 7:16 am |
  30. dori keller

the president's speech is outstanding. He has hit every point and even pricked those points that Arabs have not wanted to confront. And the audience's response confirms that – as well as stating his position towards Israel and the Palestinians. This is more then I thought he would say – This is a President.

June 4, 2009 at 6:56 am |
  31. Adam

President Obama is a visionary. I thought his speech was fair, respectful, and well organized. As someone who's been exposed to the Muslim culture myself, I thought he was right on. He makes me proud.

June 4, 2009 at 6:49 am |