American Morning email feedback was mostly focused on ever-increasing gas prices. Many blamed greed and price gouging by the oil companies, and others asked about big oils’ profits. Viewers recalled the gas crisis in 1972 and suggested that prices be frozen, while others wanted President Obama to consider regulating the oil industry to prevent price increases.
- Bob/ Iowa: Does anyone remember the gas crisis of 1975? Then president Richard Nixon froze gas prices to protect the economy. What is different today?
- Bob/ Virginia: AM Crew – With all of Christine’s good words about our gas prices, it's still the greed inherent in our free enterprise system that keeps pushing those prices higher and higher.
- Bob/Ohio: You have not told us any reason why gas prices should be going up. You have never told us what the price of a barrel of crude is at the well head. You have not told us if you and your friends have stock in the oil companies, and therefore are delighted that the price is climbing.
- Dan: It's just mind-blowing that Romans, and CNN, can report on rising gas prices without mentioning the record profits that the big oil companies continue to bring in. How many quarters does Exxon-Mobil have to report record-breaking profits before you put two and two together, and recognize price-gouging when you see it? I guess that's too much to ask from a "news" outlet whose main purpose seems to be to prop up big corporate power.
- Gordon: John, really like your show. You know the government took over control of the big banks and the auto industry. I think they should take Exxon over also. Maybe we would have a little more stability in gas prices.
How are gas prices in your area? What do you think is the reason prices are increasing so rapidly right now?
Most felt S.C. Governor Sanford was doing a “con” job during his interview and found him contemptible, noting “as far as him being a GOP pick for President, forget it!”
- Robert: The Gov. is being forced to take the stimulus and that is great for his state. As far as him being a GOP pick for President, forget it!
- AJ: This morning you let Gov. Mark Sanford of SC get away with doing a big con job on the American people. Kiran Chetry did not do her homework before interviewing him. Sanford claimed that he had increased money to SC public schools despite refusing federal spending money. Nevertheless our niece who teaches in SC had her public school second grade class size increased to forty students, had her teacher aids laid off, and had learning disabled children placed in her classroom because special education classes had been eliminated. Sanford's claims do not add up, and obviously SC needs the federal stimulus money for public education. If you want us to be regular viewers, you are going to have to do a better job of interviewing slick, deceptive, anti-public education governors like Mark Sanford. Instead of bringing out the truth in the interview, you gave Sanford a platform for his lies and propaganda.
What do you think of Governor Sanford? Is he a hero or a villain for refusing the government stimulus money? Do you believe Governor Sanford would make a good candidate for the GOP in 2012?