American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 16th, 2009

Father fights for son’s return on 5th anniversary

The case has made international headlines – a father's desperate quest to get his son back. It's been exactly five years since David Goldman's wife, Bruna Bianchi Carneiro Ribeiro, took their then 4-year-old son to Brazil and never came back.

Since then, he's been fighting to be reunited with his little boy, Sean. And just when he thought it was over, another setback. Goldman joined Kiran Chetry on CNN’s “American Morning” Tuesday to talk about the case.

Kiran Chetry: Today you're marking an unwelcome anniversary. It's been five years since you had your son Sean with you. It looked like things were turning in your favor. The high court ruled they were going to honor the Hague Convention on International Abductions. Most of those in the court said your son should come back to you. So what's the delay right now?

David Goldman: Well, what was filed in front of the [Brazilian] Supreme Court was, in fact, if the Brazilian judicial system was going to honor the Hague Convention. If their government was still going to be a party to the Hague Convention where they receive children back under the Hague from America, as well. And they decided yes, we are going to honor the Hague Convention, we will return children. This particular case, a couple of them pointed out that Sean has been here way too long and this needs to be resolved.

And then they punted it back to the second level federal court where there was a stay because of an appeal from this Lins e Silva guy to keep my son there. Hopefully with the [Brazilian] Supreme Court ruling, with the 82-page report from the first-level federal judge ordering my son to be returned home immediately as well as Brazilian court-appointed mental health experts evaluating my son, saying he's been under psychological trauma, emotionally damaged from this family in Brazil, pointing he needs to be home.

Chetry: They also even called it parental alienation, saying his stepfather – that's who he's staying with right now, correct?

Goldman: He actually lives with Bruna's parents.

Chetry: And that's an odd situation in itself. Just take us back to what happened. You were married, you were happily married, at least you thought. Your wife goes away for a couple of weeks.

Goldman: I drove her to the airport with my son and her parents for a vacation. Love, hugs and kisses with my blessings to have a safe trip. And I was going to go down and visit with them at the end of the trip and fly back to help with Sean, bringing him home.

Chetry: And what happened?

Goldman: I get a phone call; it was actually on Father's Day, two days after they arrived. “David, we have to talk. You're a wonderful guy, you're the best father I could ever imagine for my child, but if you ever want to see him again, you need to come to Brazil, meet with my attorney, sign ten pages of legal papers giving me full custody never pressing criminal charges,” a bunch of other demands. Another one was filing to the courts here that we will be separated.

Chetry: And you had no inkling there was any trouble in the marriage?

Goldman: I had no clue. I had no clue.

Chetry: Do you know what happened?

Goldman: She said she decided she is Brazilian and wants to stay in Brazil where she is known.

Chetry: And subsequently, sadly, she passed away in childbirth. And since then, your son, Sean has been living with her new husband?

Goldman: Yes…well, we were still married in America. America doesn't recognize this marriage to this guy. She married him in Brazil for ten months before she passed away. And now, this man is trying to say that he's got more claim of custody over my own child. He's got no blood relation to my son. And yet, in the court in Brazil, the state court, he filed some motion trying to remove my name from my son's birth certificate, to totally erase me and my parents and my son’s whole paternal lineage from his life and replace it with his own.

Chetry: I know that you've been to Brazil. Your congressman actually accompanied you there in helping with this effort. And it's been a very difficult situation because you've been away from your own son for so long now. How does he react to you? And what are your concerns that even if you do get him back, what the psychological damage of this whole tug-of-war will be on him?

Goldman: My concerns are what is being done to him right now. And those are things I can't control. And again, as evidenced from the evaluations…he's being psychologically and emotionally damaged by them. And where he is now is not a healthy environment. They have to look at the boy, they have to look at the child, not their own selfish or whatever reasons. But he is a child, he's a human, and he's my son. I'm not worried about when we're home. I know I will take care of him as I always had before he was abducted. Remember, he lived over four years with me and he was fine.

And he would call when I was able to speak with him, crying to come home to his father. Crying he wants to come home and see his friends and his grandma and grandpa. They tried to erase all that themselves in front of the media like he never had a life here, which he did, which he still does, waiting. It's not about the five years we missed. He's only 9. He's got his whole life ahead and there is bonding and healing. And the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children actually has a program for parents reunited with their abducted children to help them reconnect and re-bond.

Chetry: We wish you the best of luck in this situation. I know it's been a tough road for you. And the courts still have to rule, but hopefully within weeks you may be reunited.

Goldman: Thank you. I hope so.

Filed under: American Morning
  1. Mia

THIS IS UNVELIBABLE, THIS CHILD SHOULD BE WITH THE FATHER AND IT SHOULDN’T BE TAKING THIS LONG. I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY HIS MOTHER WASN’T CHARGED WITH KIDDNAPING AND BROUGHT BACK TO THE ESTATES BEFORE SHE DIED. THIS IS NOT ABOUT SEAN, THIS IS ABOUT BRAZIL TRYING TO MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT TO AN AMERICAN CITIZEN.
    I AM FROM SOUTH AMERICA , ACTUALLY FROM A BRAZILIAN NEIGHBORING COUNTRY AND A WOMEN AND STILL DONT UNDERSTAND BRAZILIAN'S BEHAVIOR, IT’S A SHAME FOR ALL SOUTH AMERICANS THAT PEOPLE LIKE SEAN’S MOTHER COME HERE TO THIS GREAT COUNTRY, AND DO SO MUCH HARM. SEAN'S MOTHER FAMILY AND ALL THE BRAZILIANS SUPPORTING THIS KIDNAPPIN SHOULD BE ASHAMED TOO.

December 22, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  2. Jack

Where the hell is Janet Reno when we need her?

October 23, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  3. Andrew

Oh, and I appreciate your concern for my "arrogance and ignornace", as you put it, but I am trilingual, so no need for you to worry about me there.

Also, I find it hard to believe that someone with such a VAST legal background, as I myself have, could ignore such a sweeping decision where every single argument you write here has been completely disproven. As I said before, go read the legal documents that are all included in Judge Pinto's ruling; they are readily available for your consumption.

June 18, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  4. Andrew

If you're so amazing at languages, including Portuguese, then GO READ THE RULINGS OF JUDGE PINTO – Go read the DOCUMENTED PROOF against everything you spew in hate. Take the time to actually do your research instead of writing here and spreading your ridiculous lies.

June 18, 2009 at 7:36 am |
  5. Chuck Caspari

Flavia –

Well, congratulations on your worldliness; you certainly have been around. I share your outrage at some things that have gone on under the eyes of my country's watch. As you are familiar with East Asia, I would cite the situation in the Mariana Islands and the sweatshops allowed to operate there.

But taking some of your experiences and projecting them onto David Goldman is absurd. To post here anything about an American preying on dark-skinned innocents is patently offensive, a vile thing to bring into this conversation. Far from being an innocent, helpless third-world waif subject the evil Gringo's magical spell, Bruna was a very worldly woman; a student of design who met David in Italy, for Pete's sake.

She was also savvy enough to understand the ability she might have to call on influential friends/lovers to get away with an act of illegal international child abduction. Sorry – you can't refute that, and everything comes back to that fact. She broke the laws of both her native and adoptive nations in stealing Sean away to Brazil. Everything else you post is just so much fluff in the wind.

June 17, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Flavia

Andrew,

I am sorry if my writing skills ain’t good enough for you... See, I am fluent in few languages ( Portuguese included) ,and sometimes in the heating of the moment the writing and composition skills get's out of place. So, I am assuming that you're monolingual; therefore, I excuse both your arrogance and ignorance about these phenomena.

For few years I provided legal advocacy services to East Asian women (victims of sex and labor exploitation) who were /are seeking for custody of their children illegally held in the United States of America. My job exposed me to many different cultures, languages and countries; therefore, I have a personal knowledge and unique perspective about the court system in America and few other countries. Furthermore, I was born in Portugal, educated in Rio de Janeiro, Spain, Italy, Hong Kong, Lebanon, and at last in America, where I finally settled.). So as you can see, I am well entrenched not only in an America culture, but in many others as well.

June 17, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  7. sue

Joe and Flavia, are you family member's or just friends of the kidnappers? You both should be ashamed of yourselves, how about we come over there and kidnap one of your children? How would you feel then? You are just as sick as that awful family. You cannot kidnap and keep someone elses child. How you could come on here and try to defend such a crime is beyond words, you both are very sick.

June 17, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  8. Andrew

Joe,
    David's last visit to Brazil was for the court hearing in Brasilia, a THIRTEEN HOUR drive from where his son lives in Rio. He has already spent thousands of dollars on plane tickets and accommodations, so it's absolutely understandable that he wouldn't be able to fly to Rio and stay there for another few days. He does have to work here in the US to pay for all these legal fees just to bring his ILLEGALLY RETAINED child home.

June 17, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  9. Chuck Caspari

Joe –

Your post is full of misinformation and contradictions.

First, as previously mentioned, David has incurred over $360,000 in legal and travel expenses. There is no "TV station sponsorship". If you think he's in this for the money, you are delusional.

Second, I don't know the circumstances of the "visitation" issue, other than the fact that as of 5 years ago it never should have been an issue as custody/visitation rights would have been decided/negotiated in the court of local jurisdiction (New Jersey)... but the mother decided to illegally abduct Sean to Brazil instead. Now, maybe David had intended to visit with Sean, but had to go to Brasilia for the Supreme Court (STF) hearing; maybe he had to return to the States for work... whatever. The fact is that for the LeS/Rubeiro/Bianchi cabal to raise as some evidence of his "letting Sean down" one cancelled visit... after refusing to allow David to see or speak to Sean for 4.5 years is nothing short of a cruel joke.

Last, David has been fighting to repatriate Sean since day one, not -as you allege – only since the mother died. Immediately after the mother illegally kidnapped Sean to Brazil, David filed all of the proper paperwork to initiate a move back to New Jersey where – under the auspices of the Hague Convention to which both the US and Brazil are signatories – custody should have been decided. The documents (as well as all others pertinent to the case) may be viewed at bringseanhome.org.

The bottom line and the single undeniable fact of this case is that the mother initiated this entire mess by breaking the law. She had every opportunity to file for a divorce and seek custody in New Jersey, but she instead took Sean to Brazil illegally. The rest has been a continuous miscarriage of justice by the Brazilian courts and the LeS cabal who seem to know very well how to manipulate them.

In the end, though, it will be the careers of both father and son Lins e Silva which will suffer, as their reputations in the legal community will be discredited and mocked internationally – it is happening even as we speak. Judge Pinto's decision of June 1 dismantled any legal claim the LeS/Ribeiro clan tried to make on Sean. It exposed the lie after lie spouted by these people and leaves little doubt that Sean will – sooner or later – be reunited with his father in New Jersey.

June 17, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  10. Ann

Maria and Luciano ...

I re-read my comments and must apologize to you and other like-minded Brasilians who ARE socially conscious citizens (of any country), considering the welfare and legal implications of Sean, David and all those involved. I did not mean to imply that all "elite" Brasilians (not knowing your social upbringing in Brasil) are
    "just another spoiled bratty Brasilian who wants his way and will do anything to get it … wrong or wrong. Don’t tell me I don’t know. I’ve lived there several times amongst that kind. Funny how those from other countries can see it, but most Brasilians can’t."

There are many "elite" Brasilians who see the current issue as it truly is ... social, legal and humanly flawed. For the most part, however, whether or not these elite Brasilieros acknowledge at the expense of their social standing is questionable.

In any event, I apologize to those ethical, legal and socially conscious Brasilieros supporting Sean and David Goldman's reunion and life together again.

June 17, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  11. Lexi

It's unfortunate and telling that people like Flavia and Joe continue to defame David Goldman's character. This despite the fact that all these slanderous allegations have been disproved by a Brazilian court of law. The comprehensive 82-page decision handed down by the honorable Judge Rafael de Souza Pereira Pinto left no ambiguity whatsoever that David is a fit and committed father and ordered the return of Sean to him within 48 hours. Unfortunately due to some legal wrangling by associates of the well-connected Brazilian family, a stay was issued suspending the order. These abominable tactics should give the American public insights into what David has been dealing with for the last 5 years that he has been fighting to have his beloved son Sean returned to him. It is a travesty of justice that father and son continue to be separated from each other.

June 17, 2009 at 1:42 pm |
  12. jj48

I bet Tanya is one of those mothers that would leave a toddler home alone, or let a boyfriend beat the child. It is people like her that make this world a sicking place to live in.
    I only wish I had a father as dedicated to his child as David is to Sean. Oh yeah, and Brazil can KISS MY BUTT!

June 17, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  13. Cat

Tanya
    always seems to appear on some other blogs as well , talking like a hick from down under. she is a classic case of manure. and Ya can't fix stupid.
    David Has alot of supporters , and sean will be home soon. Please read Bringseanhome.org.

June 17, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  14. ceilli

Flavia, David Goldman has tried to negotiate with the Brazilian family. But how do you negotiate with someone who refuses any and all offers made?

June 17, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  15. ceilli

Joe, David Goldman is not after money; he simply wants his son. He has been trying to have his son returned since 2004 and has spent well over $350,000 in legal fees and travel expenses to do that. The reporting in Brazil has been so slanted, it is ridiculous. If you have seen pictures of videos of David and Sean, you'd see their deep love and affection for each other.

June 17, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  16. Andrew

Flavia,

You continue to float these CNN blogs just to spread your lies. The court sentence for Judge Pinto is available online in both English and Portuguese, and every single allegation you spew has been PROVEN untrue. David IMMEDIATELY did everything in his legal power to have Sean returned, from the moment Bruna told him she and Sean were not returning. How do you explain a dozen DOCUMENTED trips to Brazil for legal purposes??? GO READ THE COURT DOCUMENTS AND STOP BEING SO IGNORANT.

Also, I have a feeling if you were really so entrenched in "American" culture as you claim to be, you'd have a better handle on English grammar. It's obvious to anyone with a brain that you're a plant sent here by someone from the family holding him ILLEGALLY in Brazil.

June 17, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  17. joe

David is not the person he is trying to portray. From what I read on Brazilian news is a fake an his big interest is not the child but MONEY. According to legal records he never looked for the child while the mother was alive and only did so after raising money through a TV station sponsorship. On today's news papers (Brazilian) there are copies of telegrams from David's lawyer, one making an appointment for visitation and another one canceling the visitation (the second one was sent after the arranged visitation time). Politicians are trying to take political advantages on this issue, The US congress has issues a lot more important and urgent than this one. About comparing the US and Brazilian legislation about fathers rights in a divorce it's a very bad taste joke, just ask any father that went though a divorce (I think anywhere in the world). And finally, David should think a little bit about his son and not on self promotion, This will not help his career.

June 17, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  18. Hector Montalvo

This is happening all over america, and the courts are allowed to do whatever they want, and get away with it.
    The family court system is a joke, and a big money maker for the lawyers and the judges. They are arm thougs,who will be the first to violate your rights, without due process. I know this first hand.
    Please visit http://unitedcivilrights.org/ to get the facts, and to learn how to protect you and your kids from a broken down system.

June 17, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  19. Shatteredmen

Tanya Evans, I have noticed that there have been dozens of responses to your rant...NONE of them supporting you and your war on fathers.

Suppose someone steals your car and keeps it for a year. I guess they should be able to keep it if they changed the oil and filled it with gas because the car sounds perfect in their care/

Since when should those who violate the law and kidnap a child be rewarded with being able to keep that child? Even if this mother were still alive, that child should have been returned to the father because it was parental abduction.

It appears that many in our society thinks that a good father is someone who keeps his mouth shut but keeps sending the support checks. Odd is it not that if a man wants to have a close relationship with his children after a divorce that feminist groups say he just want to keep abusing them but if he does not try, he is a dead beat?

In reality we see a whole lot different story of why men do not have a close relationship with their children, often while they are still married.

According to a Redbook survey

Only 11% of mothers value their husband's input when it comes to handling problems with their kids. Teachers & doctors rated 45%, and close friends & relatives rated 16%

From other sources we find:

37.9% of fathers have no access/visitation rights

40% of mothers reported that they had interfered with the non-custodial father's visitation on at least one occasion, to punish the ex-spouse

77% of non-custodial fathers are NOT able to "visit" their children, as ordered by the court, as a result of "visitation interference" perpetuated by the custodial parent. In other words, non-compliance with court ordered visitation is three times the problem of non-compliance with court ordered child support and impacts the children of divorce even more

It is not just the courts in Brazil that will not assure the rights of fathers, it is almost every family court in the United States. They enforce the child support laws to the letter while ignoring that 3/4's of the fathers are not able to see their children as the court as ordered.

Read this to get a little idea of what it is like to have your children stolen from you legally

Dads...do not look for any help from Washington...this is what they call being responsible fathers

June 17, 2009 at 3:11 am |
  20. Wendy

to S. caplan...

you state,

"She might have known that if she left without her son, the father could claim abandonment, or find other ways to deny custody, or that it might have taken years for her to get a custody arrangement through the courts and for her son to be reunited with her, critical formative years for a young child. We have no way of knowing why she really left and took Sean"

It makes NO DIFFERENCE what the mothers side was. According to International LAW she had NO RIGHT to keep Sean in Brazil. It makes NO DIFFERENCE WHY she left, but when she did she became and international child abdcutor..period. Soon after she left, David was granted custody in a New Jersey court and she was ordered to return Sean which obviously did not happen.

As for Seans formative years with his mother being of concern, what about the formative years with his father?? David was Seans primary caregiver, not Bruna! Do you HONESTLY believe that children have gender bias at the age of four?? Give me a break! Sean spent more waking hours with David than with his mother. Did ANYONE show concern for him when he was removed?!

As for Ms. Evans, Beyhati, and the other tripe who are posting here about paying kidnappers and money, you are obviously well paid by that family to be here and no one is buying your garbage so go peddle it somewhere that people actually will listen and believe you all....like under the rocks you all came from.

June 16, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  21. Flavia

Braden,

You are truly ignorant! Truly!

June 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Flavia

Shanel,

please ................................Do not be naive. Our system is twice as worst as Brazil. We have an average of 100 thousand Americans kids removed from home and place for adoption like animals, each year ... Our family court system is zoo..... Money dictates what we do in our judicial system, Shanel. Our America court system is all about money and corruption. Wake up and smell the coffee.... Friend. Our system ain't good. Almost two years ago, I spent 8 weeks visiting the family courts in Brazil ( Rio de Janeiro for 6 weeks and Sao Paulo two) , and I could not believe how organize and focus on the best interest of the kids their Brazilian family court system are. Their foster care programs are top notch! I was embarrassed to say that I was coming from America. Their system was too good to be true . So, I feel sorry for some of you who are writing things that you are not close to understand or have a clue of how the judicial system works, ( both in the United states and other parts of the world) ,and how efficient and superior some of those countries conduct their business, compare to ours. It is is what it is.....

June 16, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  23. Flavia

"BELLA"
    Isn't that so terrible. Poor American males..... This guys go out to the world looking for vulnerable color women in poor nations, just for the goodness of the heart. Our man just want to save their countries and their women sexual behavior!!! Therefore, when those women get beaten, raped, abused by their husbands, they should think twice before alleging being a victim of abuse, right ??!!! They are just foreigners!!! No one should believe that there are abusers in America?! NO..........hell no!!! Those foreigners women are crazy!!! They just alleging being abused by an American citizen because they are seeking a green card ! POOR AMERICAs!! POOR US!!!! I wish I could agree with you, Bella..... But it is too bad that I can't. As a matter of fact I am deeply disturbed by your personal perspective about foreigner women. I mean, it's sad and disturbing!

June 16, 2009 at 9:53 pm |
  24. Laurie

David Goldman, I think of you and your son Sean every day. My son fought for his parental rights for almost 5 years, and would still be battling it out in court today except for the fact that his child's mother died. She made up endless, outrageous lies about him to deny him access to his child, so that each time he took her to court he ended up defending his own character.

We found the U.S. family courts to be profoundly biased toward mothers over fathers, and lost all hope for fairness. Because she lived in the same jurisdiction, however, he became immediate sole custodian upon the death of his child's mother. I feel that same ache for you, now, that I felt for my son during his five years of anguish.

I believe that guilt, over the lies she knew she was telling about our son, contributed to her terminal illness. Such a shameful way for a mother to behave toward the loving father of their child, who only wanted to share equally in their daughter's upbringing.

And double shame on Sean's maternal grandparents, who are now trying to become Sean's permanent legal guardians. They had their shot at parenthood, and didn't do a very good job. They are, in fact, the headwaters of that very polluted stream...

June 16, 2009 at 9:13 pm |
  25. Flavia

Madelina,

What world are you living in!???! How would you sent an America Swat team to Brazil ?

What happen to the boy from Cuba was very different from what is happening to this American/ Brazilian kid. Sean has dual citizenship, therefore, Brazil has an obligation to look after his citizenship rights and best interest on basis of such. 2/ Mother was given custody of the child in Brazil after the father repeatedly refused to show up for the court hearings in Brazil. The family apparently filed papers with the American embassy asking for him to show up for he hearings, but again, he continuously refused . 3/ The child have been living in Brazil for 5 years and has been having an outstanding development. 4/The child has an extended family, a biological sister , school, friends, etc. As far as the evidences are concern, Mr. Goldman is the one who decided not to be involved.

The cuba case

The Cuba case could not be more different from Sean's case. The Cuban kid was here ( in the states, Miami) for few days, when his father asked to have him returned to Cuba. Now, if the Cuban father would wait a year or even five years to go after his kid in Miami, the situation would be very different. Other words: No court in America would let this Cuban kid go back to Cuba. SO,why are we making such a big deal about Brazil?

I hope that Sean will stay where he is right now. And in the meantime, I hope that Mr. Goldman will stop the drama and make some type of deal with the Brazilian family, and join them in the efforts to continue look after the best interest of this kid. This child ain't isolated, alienated, or whatever Mr. Goldman and all those other father rights fanatics ,are trying to perceived. This kid is absolutely fine in Brazil. Later on if Sean's change his mind , he always can came to America. But for now, he is in the right place. He wants to stay in Brazil close to his sister, family, friends and most of all , near to the place where his mother was placed to rest.

As far as Mr. Goldman he needs to understand that no everyone is buying his angelical look and behavior. He smells trouble! This guy ain't no angel; that's for sure!

June 16, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  26. Carla Leader

I have been following this case very closely and pray every night that Sean is returned home. He belongs with his daddy. He may be going through a hard time now, but one day he will look back and thank god that his father fought so hard for him. His mother and her family should be uttlerly ashamed of themselves for depriving Sean of a relationship with his Daddy, who is so obviously a loving and devoted father. They clearly do not care about David, so they will never be ashamed of their actions as it pertains to him, but what they have done to this child is unforgivable. One day soon, Sean will see that David has done nothing but love him and the others have done nothing but to deprive him of that love. Contact the International Olympic Committee and urge them to not consider Rio for the 2016 Olympics, most notably because the Olympic Games are a symbol of international peace and cooperation; clearly, Brazil has no regard for its fellow mankind that live abroad.

June 16, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  27. MM

To Madeleine...where does adoption play into this story? Adoption is for children who are not wanted by either parent...that is obviously not the case here as David has been fighting to get his son back since the mother kidnapped him. The mother had no regard for the child in this scenario...only her own power struggle...she is guilty of international kidnap, child endangerment, parental alienation, adultery if within 10 months she was already giving birth to another child, etc. At the very least David should be getting some sort of visitation through all of this until it is resolved but the other side is not allowing it and THAT is the real crime. You and Tanya need to be quarantined to a deserted island where you can not procreate...you are a disgusting insult to every parent that truly cares about their CHILD!

June 16, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  28. Andrew

Madeleine, this boy is NOT adopted by his stepfather. Instead, when his wife of TEN MONTHS died, he simply tried to change Sean's birth certificate to have his name replace David's. TEN MONTHS is nothing compared to the four happy years that Sean had with David. And even if it was longer than that, it wouldn't matter. Sean was taken illegally, then illegally retained there by his stepfather after the mother's death. End of story.

June 16, 2009 at 7:29 pm |
  29. luis barbosa

i just wish that David Goldman will have his child back...
    im brazilian, im only 19 years old and i would never go back to brazil, its just not safe there..even tho its my home town i only wanna go back to visit my family...the brazilian gov has to understand that David's kid is american and not brazilian...that is just my point of view of the whole story...

June 16, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  30. sue

To Aneta;

Mr. Goldman did not sign anything. He never signed his rights away and that is what his ex wanted him to do, she used that boy and tried to get him to sign all rights away. He wouldn't do it and they refused to let him see his son the whole time and he has been fighting for 5 long years to get his son back. Your information is wrong.

June 16, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  31. Irene

Sara @219, and those who think David might have abused Sean... let's reiterate. It was a BRAZILIAN first level judge who stated in a report that Sean is being abused in BRAZIL and is NOT happy, and debunked in an 82-page report just about all the claims by that same "loving" family [who's currently abusing him] about the money, etc. So please quit espousing all their lies! Also, according to the BRAZILIAN media polls, most do NOT support Sean staying in Brazil.

Poor kid... Mother has Brazilian lover before coming to U.S., takes him away from his father, kidnaps him to a foreign country, remarries immediately, has another baby a scat 10 months later, and leaves him with a family that abuses him.

******************** CALL TO ACTION! ********************

1. Contact the Brazilian Consul/Embassy, as well as the Brazilian Tourism Board (that's where they get our money and will hurt!) Tell them that until Sean and the other 65+ kidnapped children hostages are returned, that you will:

A. NOT purchase any products from Brazil
    B. NOT visit Brazil for vacation
    C. CANCEL or NOT attend any business trips in Brazil
    D. Forward recommendations of the same to everyone you know!

2. Email everyone you know this story, links to the Consul and Tourism Board (previous listed), and your recommendations.

June 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm |
  32. Andrea

I wish my kids dad was half the man David Goldman is. He left the state and moved to the other side of the country and has very little to do with them. Sean may be psychologically damaged but he knows that his father has not disserted him and that his father loves him, this alone will make a huge difference in his life. He and his son will be in my prayers from now on.

June 16, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  33. Carol Gatz

I have four things to say about this:

1. Regarding the comment about the biological dad being selfish in wanting to take his child from the home he now knows: lady, you don't get it or you don't have children. Way to pour lemon juice into this grieving father's open wound!

2. Regarding starting a boycott on traveling to Brazil: do what you want but I'll still travel there. It isn't every single Brazilian citizen's fault that this boy hasn't been released to his father. It is the result of corruption in the system. My husband's family lives in Brazil and we love visiting every chance we get. His family enjoys visiting the U.S., too.

3. I think that President Lula would do something about this if he thought that this case was making him and his government look bad. I don't personally care for Lula but I don't think he's dumb enough to risk ruining diplomatic relations with the U.S. I think Obama and his people need to get involved in this.

4. I will pray that the biological father will be lead to the right people who can reach beyond the corruption that has kept his son away from him. This boy is also an American citizen. That should count for much!

June 16, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  34. Madeleine

Tanya is the only person here thinking about the wellness of the boy, if all of you were right, then, what for are the adoptions?
    All people, put yourself in the place of the boy….
    And this goes to Erik, why are you calling Tanya a lesbian? and if she is a lesbian… so what , we are in the 21 century, we are not in the dark ages anymore…..

June 16, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  35. dee

As sad as this situation is, the Tanya Evans' of the world are sadder. Obviously she has man issues and her comments are so vile and without merit that she needs to be pitied and helped with her mental state. It is right and just that this man and his son need be reunited. They are a family and the deal dealt to them both is a travesty. The Brazilian courts should be ashamed. I agree that we need to boycott anything from that country; any country that has such terrible human rights laws, in fact. Also, what is wrong with the US for not fighting harder for this man? It is shameful.

June 16, 2009 at 5:35 pm |
  36. rick perry

How about having custody of your son,Mother abandoned us,Yet the Orange County D As office had me pay for support for 12 years to the mother .Dads get the screw job. How about a deadbeat mom

June 16, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  37. JMS

I have been loosely following this story for some time now. HOW is it still going on?? This man deserves his son. It is truly absurd. If it were me, i would get my son- the old fashioned way- and be on a beach in the Bahamas right now. Literally. The time has come, make the move.

June 16, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  38. Mary

Tanya Evans, your post is one of the most ludicrous things I've read on the internet. Please stay out of the gene pool.

June 16, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  39. madelina

amazing how the US government used a SWAT Team to get ELIAN ,to return him to CUBA... a child who was NOT even a us citizen...and now that they are NEEDED to RESCUE a CHILD OF THE USA , no one does nothing, ane in the mean time, this poor child is living with a man that has NO BLOOD RELATION to him... this wonderful government who only does special things for those who could already do for them selves ....

June 16, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  40. champa

i see total injustice here to Mr. Goldman. I am surprised that that Brazilian court does not see this. First off, it does not make sense that his wife leaves and marries another person in 2 days and she is delivering another baby in 10 months. Not just that, she wanted unconditional divorce from Mr. Goldman and full custody. I CANNOT believe there are ppl from Brazil who are such heartless.

To add insult to injury, now the Brazilian court does not recognize the boy's birth father. it totally does NOT make sense. This is total money power influencing justice in Brazil. Any person with even the slightest of common sense would know that the boy goes to the father. I am further surprised that the Brazilian court does not have that.

To further, his son has been staying in Brazil already for 5 years and to add to it he will end up staying further until the case is resolved. It is very obvious that he will get used to Brazilian family environment. Unfortunately, in short, every passing day is getting his son farther away from him.

BEST OF LUCK TO Mr. Goldman.

June 16, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  41. harold

BOYCOTT BRAZIL AND ITS PRODUCTS...... THEY DO NOT ABIDE BY INTERNATIONAL HAGUE AGREEMENT.... PERIOD

June 16, 2009 at 5:18 pm |
  42. Canuk

I'm surprised he didn't go down there and pump the guy full of lead. I would.

June 16, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  43. Braden

If we were a National Socialist Government, we would have simply went to Brazil knocked the door down, arrested the step dad, and took the kid back to his father. Instead these animals in Brazil have found every loop hole in there loopholed law books to keep this kid in Brazil immorally and illegally. The United States needs to start acting like the world power we are and stop getting pushed around.

June 16, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  44. shattered men

Kiran

Thank you for telling David Goldman’s story but this is but the tip of the iceberg. Tens of thousands of good parents, mostly fathers have their children taken from them by the other parent. Far too often, they legalize this parental abduction by moving to another state and then filing false charges of domestic violence with the court in the new state or worse yet, they file false charges of child molestation which the courts accept with no prove.

I contend that when an accusation is made in a court in another state from where the other parent resides, all due diligence must be taken to ascertain that this was not a parental abduction. Yet as the director of Shattered Men, I have seen far too often that if it was a mother that has abducted the children, little is done to rectify the situation.

Although I contend that equal custody is the best way to go, if either parent makes false accusations about the other parent, they should lose all but supervised custody. I also believe that anyone who willfully accuses another of a crime they know they did not commit, that person should face the same level of a crime as that whom they have accused.

June 16, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  45. Carrie

Tanya Evans: Are you a mother? I hope not, I would hate to be your kid. WIth a mom like you, I would want to live in another country.

June 16, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  46. Smilee

Enough already. Sean should be returned to his father. He's not even living with his step-father. What a self righteous jerk! To think he has any claim on Sean.
    David, I hope you and your son are reunited very soon.
    Off now to send a letter to the Brazalian gov't.

June 16, 2009 at 5:16 pm |
  47. Sarah

David, I am so sorry to hear about your story and I hope this gets to you some how. I am a mother of one son and can't imagine the pain you must experience everyday. I am hoping and praying, along with many others I am sure, that you have your son back in your arms soon. My heart goes out to you and I can't wait to hear a story about how your son is back with you and adjusting well.
    With Hope –
    Sarah

June 16, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  48. SassyShari

Tanya Evans you are a world class jerk – maybe you should go to Brazile, the US would be much better off without the likes of you.
    You could not possibly have children, or you would not have made such stupid statements.

I am with the rest of you who believe we should BOYCOT Brazile anything and everything till that young man is reunited with his father....

June 16, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  49. Carrie

To Tanya,
    If one day you have a child and your significant other leaves you and takes the child to Brazil never allowing you to see him/ her, then let's see if you dare post a comment like the one you made.

June 16, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  50. Oblio

Women in the USA steal children from men all the time and it doesn't raise an eyebrow. Our courts enforce the child support provision of court orders but ignore the visitation provisions.

I haven't seen my children in 9 years. They live 14 miles away and their mother won't let me see them.

June 16, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  51. Susan Potter

So...in Brazil...if a Mother has the right to just take the child away from his Father just because she wants too does that mean they believe in the "I brought you into this world, I can take you out" saying too? Sounds like it. Thank God I don't live in, visit, or know anyone in Brazil!

My thoughts and prayers are with you David – keep the faith! God speed!

Tanya Evans – I'd be ashamed. I know if I knew you I wouldn't admit it.

June 16, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  52. james

Tanya, to answer your question,

We should rip this child away from brazil and reunite with his father because the father knows best. The boy has the fathers DNA and that DNA contains his past and his future. The child has heredity only the father can explain. Stolen property NEVER becomes legal property of the thief. The father deserves to have his child back. The child knows who his real father is and knows he is being kept from him. That's cruel to the child.

As for you Tanya, you're an ugly person and I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else but you!

June 16, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  53. MM

I have a 4 year old son who I share joint custody of and this would be the most crushing, devestating thing I could ever imagine. And to Tanya Evans, you are obviously not human! And you should have your V-JJ sewn shut before it's too late!

June 16, 2009 at 5:10 pm |
  54. Me

I say we send Ms. Tanya Evans to Brazil in exchange for little Sean! You are one heartless cold woman (in which I'm using the word "woman" lightly in referring to her ). We all have to answer to GOD someday. Hopefully he will see YOU for what you really are. My prayers are with you and your son Mr. Goldman.

June 16, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  55. melissa

My friend brought this case to my attention a few months ago as she lives in the same town as David Goldman. I know you do not know what goes on behind closed doors, but my god, the pictures and videos show them being such a happy family and he being such a doting dad. I cannot believe the courts are letting this happen. I hate to say it, but I do believe if the situation were reversed, that is the child separated from his mother, custody would be granted very quickly.

I believe in Karma and his "ex-wife" did something horrible when she left and took the child and then died giving birth.

I hope that I will soon turn on the news and see this happy reunion,

June 16, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  56. Bill W

It's encouraging to see so many people in favor of Father's having time with their children. All too often this simple right is denied. Please, if you know of any parent that has turned a child against the other parent, please speak to that person - let them know that a child needs both parents. You could make a difference in that child's life.

June 16, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  57. s caplan

The boy was only 4 at the time of the breakup, children separated from their mothers at such a young age can often suffer emotional problems later in life, it is a recognized cause of PTSD for example. I feel terrible for what Mr. Goldman and his parents went through, at the same time I have to admit we have not heard the mother's side of the story. She might have known that if she left without her son, the father could claim abandonment, or find other ways to deny custody, or that it might have taken years for her to get a custody arrangement through the courts and for her son to be reunited with her, critical formative years for a young child. We have no way of knowing why she really left and took Sean. It's a complicated issue and we only have one side of the story. I do pray that the Goldmans get to spend more time with Sean very soon! Mostly I pray that the boy gets a choice in how the custody and living arrangement will be. It seems more logical that the child should at least be with his maternal grandparents in the meantime, rather than with a stepfather, especially if his mother's marriage to this man was of a relatively short duration.

June 16, 2009 at 5:07 pm |
  58. BeFair

1.- It is not fair to judge a woman who is already dead. Let's hear her part of the story.. Either aprove that she took the kid. No parent deserves to be away form their kids, but she must have strong reasons.
    2.- "you were happily married, at least you thought. Your wife goes away for a couple of weeks"
    According to whom was a happy marriage?
    3.- To Bella... also american guys marry foreign women because they think they will have a free maid... that is why they leave, why they would like to get a green card if they are more happy and come back to their countries? You idiot...
    4.- You can not compare a nice social high class life of a latin country with a mediocry average living in US. THe American Dream for you is just YOUR dream... it is so far from being a nice dream life for any wealthy latin girl... we come to LA, NYC do shopping, vacation in Disney that's it.
    5.- It is not right they keep the boy away from his biological father. But it is not fair to accuse the mom's family if you don't have a f. clue. They love the kid also and have rights. No the step father but their grand parents.
    6.- "he’s being psychologically and emotionally damaged by them"... this means "her family doesn't like me and they talk bad about me "... For me sounds more like soul poisoning? From both sides... what a shame poor kid.
    7.- Poor kid, I hope that when he is 18 he ends up kicking out of his life both sides ... that is what I would do.

June 16, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  59. Jim Blagaich

I’ve gone through somewhat of the same ordeal. I agreed to my ex wife going to Canada with my 3 sons. After a year she denied me visitation for over a year while the case worked its way through the court, Maryland, US and Ontario, CA. I also had an issue with parent alienation. The judge in Canada was able to see through the mind games she was playing with my youngest son and the doctors. He awarded more visitation based on my son’s wishes. In fact he is coming to live with me in August. He is 14 now. I wish you the best during this painful ordeal. Jim

June 16, 2009 at 5:04 pm |
  60. Beth

In regards to Tonya's comment (attached below)
    you are apparently a man hating basher who doesnt believe in a father trying to be true to his son; not just himself. I've followed this story for an ample amount of time now; David has been fighting to get this child back since the mother left and took him to Brazil... STOP AND THINK ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE CHILD DID LIVE WITH HIS FATHER FOR 4 YEARS PRIOR TO THE MOTHER ABDUCTING HIM!!
    I understand that it has been 5 years since the child has resided with David; but that doesnt mean that David doesnt care; in response to your comment that David should just leave him there and fly to Brazil to see him on vacation.... what the hell is wrong with them coming to the states to see Sean while he resides with his dad. Pull your head out of you rear and think about things before you open your mouth!

June 16th, 2009 12:37 pm ET

Goldman you are selfish, all you care about is yourself. He is 9 years old now and has made a life for himself in Brazil, why rip this child from what he knows just because you are the biological father. You will do more harm to him by taking him away from what he knows now and he is much older, he has a life there not with you. I think you need to give this up and stop thinking of your own darn ego and what is good for YOU. I think that the Brazilian courts should be applauded for not bringing him back to USA because in Brazil they actually care about the kids and their emotional state not like in the USA where they could not give a rats ass for the kids but only what is good for the parent, it makes me sick to my stomach!! Leave Sean alone and let him live his life where he is and if he wants to see you then you go to Brazil for vacations. LEAVE HIM ALONE; STOP TRYING TO MESS UP THE CHILD’S LIFE! All you men think that because you are the biological father the child must be with you no matter how happy they are somewhere else and with loving people. Obviously there is another side to this and unfortunately your late wife is unable to have her say, but to move away from you I am sure she had very valid reasons. I hope the Brazilian courts do not honor the Hague Convention so that Sean can be free to live his life in Brazil.

June 16, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  61. Joe Kemme

David,
    My prayers are with you. I hope you get your Son back soon. Sincerely,
    Joe Kemme

June 16, 2009 at 5:02 pm |
  62. Luiz, the Good

Batya,

Perhaps you think that money grows on trees but the legal fees incurred by David Goldman to retrieve his kidnapped son have reached more than 360 thousand dollars, and this figure keeps rising (one of his lawyers reputedly charges 400 dollars per hour...). David Goldman has done nothing wrong and he has the law on his side, and yet the burden of paying for such high expenses has fell on him. I can only applaud him for keeping his head high and for going straight ahead, even though countless others would have given up by now.

June 16, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  63. Kristal

My heart goes out to you and your family to have to bear all this if front of the nation, but know that love, faith and prayers will keep you strong and I firmly belive in love, faith and prayers, and that you will get your son back, I have a four year old and could not imagine the pain and surffering you have had to deal with, God bless you and keep you in his arms and I know you will have him back, Best wishes and good luck, I know you will get him back, GODSPEED!

June 16, 2009 at 4:55 pm |
  64. adrienne resnick

Sean is David Goldman's son........What is wrong with the Brazilian courts? This man should never have had to fight for five yars for HIS SON. I wish him the best and hope it's over soon.

June 16, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  65. Sylvia

Brazilian government are responsible for not following the case properly. I say BOYCOT BRAZIL until Sean Goldman is back with his son in USA. People do not understand that children will grow up and ask questions my husband did not see his two daughters for almost 15 yrs because they were abducted to Argentina. After they turned 18 they came to visit and found out what had happened, but the pain of not having a relationship with their father is forever there. Sean will grow up and his grandparents will have to answer as to why he was kept away from his father. No money in the world can buy love. I'm deeply sorry for the Goldman's.

June 16, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  66. dreamer

When you have your son back please be careful not to alienate him by overwhelming him with your love. Sadly it might take 20 years to rebuild what has been lost but it will come. Brace up, pray and one day he will open his arms and run to his daddy.

I have a dream that both parents are created equal

June 16, 2009 at 4:53 pm |
  67. Chuck Caspari

Batyah, et al. –

Read the Pinto decision; visit bringseanhome.org and get some facts straight.

Far from being any kind of extortion, the $150,000 was a way for the Ribeiro/Bianchi family to buy their way out of culpability – nothing more than yet another instance of wealthy/powerful people thinking once again that they are above the law. That $150,000 doesn't even begin to cover the cost to David in both legal fees and travel expenses, so I have no idea where this idea that David is trying to profit off of his child's kidnapping comes from. Every allegation to that effect has been smashed into a thousand pieces, one lie after another being exposed for what they are.

The Pinto decision took a very close look at David's expenses and income and determined he has every means necessary to care for his son. READ IT! Stop buying the lies being spread by the abductors!

June 16, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  68. s caplan

For Sean's sake, I hope he will be provided with a way to spend equal time with his maternal and paternal families, or whatever visiting arrangement is most comfortable for him, and that his right to maintain his attachment to both families will be upheld and respected. Prayers for Sean and his father and all of his grandparents. It is very sad about his mother's tragic death, this has surely been a terrible loss for Sean. It is also sad that Sean's mother is not present to provide information to the court. Maybe she took her son with her because she thought Mr. Goldman would deny her custody when she left him or the United States.

June 16, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  69. mark

Tanya Evans...tell me one thing....How would you feel if your husband takes your kid to another country. Marries another woman -before divorcing you- suddenly dies and the new "wife" tries to change your kid last name, refuses to send it back to you despite many court orders?. Are you telling me that you would just leave the new " wife" to keep your kid? your own flesh and blood. If you are a mother I do hope your kids read your comment so they know you would just stop fighting and abandon them. Yes Tanya...with your comment that is the kind of "mother" you are appearing to be.

June 16, 2009 at 4:50 pm |
  70. Kevin

I agree with an earlier posting. The Americans should boycott Brasil in every way conceivable.

June 16, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  71. Doug Vetteroel

haha check out Joe C's post he capped certain letters to funny... God Bless the Goldman Family

June 16, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  72. Julie

This is such a sad story but I hope and pray it has a happy ending. It is not very often you find dads such as David adn when you do they treat them in this horrible manner. I would have loved for my children to have a dad as wonderful, caring and amazing as him. I hope the courts start thinking about what they are doing and give David his son back.

In regards to his ex-wife, it is sad she passed away but Karma. You should never something to someone if you don't want it coming back to you. So all I have to say about that is karma.

David, I hope and pray that you get your precious son back soon.

June 16, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  73. Terri

Dear Troubled-

There was no abuse here. I have seen other stories on tv about this case where they hae itnerviewed a number of people; all surprised by the mother's departure. THey met as students in Italy; came back to America and married and had their. It seems like she just really wanted to go back to her country of origin and felt he wouldn't go along with it so took matters into her own hands. No one has ever accused him of anything but wanting his son back which is unbelievable even after the death of the mother. THis is a very rich, influential family in Brazil. Keep fighting it, let Sean become older and hope everyone gives up but his father is never giving up on his son.

June 16, 2009 at 4:42 pm |
  74. Brooke

Tanya Smith – you are a heartless, selfish, ignorant bottom-dweller who has no business judging Mr. Goldman. To even imply that he is selfish because he "only Sean's biological father" shows how ill-bred you are. If you are so disheartened by the USA then feel free to leave. You clearly do not have children or you would never take such a dreadful position. If you do have children, may God help them.

June 16, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  75. Erik

My favorite is that the only lesbian cowards who dont think he should get his son back refuse to even reveal their names on the chat. And much as we'd love to get the government involved, I think it goes against Joe "VAWA" Biden's morals to help a father in need in this country, but I do hope we have the common sense and decency to help this poor man get his son back!

June 16, 2009 at 4:40 pm |
  76. Irene

Here's the information for the Consulate General of Brazil [MA]:

Email- cgbos@consulatebrazil.org
    Website- http://www.consulatebrazil.org/noproen.htm

Here's the Brazilian Embassy (D.C.):

Email- humanrights@brasilemb.org
    Website- http://www.brasilemb.org

I encourage everyone to flood these agencies with protests and boycotts. Anyone else have any good links??

June 16, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  77. roberto

People, don't waste your time responding to Tanya Evans. Her comments sounds like she is on drugs.

June 16, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  78. amanda

Tanya Evans, you must be another one of those men bashing exwives that thrive on making all other men pay for the miserables of your past man. This man has every god given right to fight for his son to be brought back to him, the wife was wrong to flee the country with him. If she wanted a divorce and wanted to share parental custody she should have done it the right way. This boy is much older now onlybecause this foregin country has made it this long and he still isnt with his father. What gives you the right to say he should give up on his own child and say, "oh well lets just make another one", because that is what you are saying. Not all men are bad and the majority if they they are going thru this much trouble really truely want their children home safe with them. And how do you know this poor little boy isnt being abused and raped etc such as other foregin countries do? You know in Zimbabwe they rape newborn little girls thinking they will cure AIDS. The thought of such things happening to children is sick and would scare me if my child were there away from his own flesh and blood. Lady you need a reality check and maybe you hate men because you are so miserable! To you sir, god bless you and best oflukc getting your son home soon, were he belongs.

June 16, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  79. Shrinker

To all the dads who have commented about how society views them on custodial issues....My husband has the ability to raise our children just as well or better than me. If I died I would only worry about them missing me NOT about whether he had the ability to take care of them physically and emotionally. There are fathers out there who nuture their children as well as the mothers.

June 16, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  80. Tyler

For all of you who are trashing Brazil or Brazilians – Are you guys idiots? The country or its people have nothing to do with this woman or family who has done this crazy thing.
    David should have the kid back, the US government should do something, and I am ok boycotting Brazilian products or trips, but to generalize and say that the country or people there are this or that, this is ridiculous!
    If that's how it goes than we should be okay being labeled as a country where every kid has some mental disorder and like to shoot people considering the number of school shootings we have... you guys are being ridiculous accusing the country and the people... it is not their fault that this lady was crazy enough to do what she did to David!

June 16, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  81. kat

@Tanya Evans: How can you say that a 9 year old CHILD taken against his will to Brazil when he was 5 has "made a life for himself"? He can make that decision when he's more mature, but right now he deserves a shot at growing up with his biological father. Besides, the point is that the boy was KIDNAPPED. May be arguable if the mother is still alive and caring for him, but since she's not, the father (who seems to be a good citizen and a dedicated dad) should have legal custody. By keeping the boy in Brazil, people are just making excuses for kidnapping.

June 16, 2009 at 4:34 pm |
  82. JoAnne

David,
    My daughter and I have been watching your story since it was first brought to public attention. I am so sorry for the injustice you and your son are experiencing. I am disgusted with the steps our US government has taken to correct this situation. I agree with the others that it is time for the American people to speak up and boycott Brazilian products and discontinue relations with Brazil until your son is rightfully returned to you. I am a mother of three and it brings tears to my eyes every time I read about your situation. I cannot imagine being separated from my children and being dragged through such governmental red tape to see them again. I will continue to keep you in my prayers and I hope our government steps up to the plate and shows justice will prevail.

June 16, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  83. Mrl

Tanya Evans you are either illiterate or have no compassion in the least. ALL the articles and the court documents conclude that the people holding him are the ones doing him GREAT harm...how did you not read that part??? This man is this boys father, he has done not one thing wrong and you need to take a pill or something.

June 16, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  84. Andrew

Yeah, "joseph", because the first thing I would do is send money to the abductor who is ILLEGALLY RETAINING my child. Get a brain – you really think someone who illegally takes a child to another country should get CHILD SUPPORT??? You've got some serious issues, man. Also, I am sure the guy was spending every cent he had on legal fees in both the US and Brazil since he's been fighting this atrocity for 5 years now. You really can't be serious expecting someone to pay the abductor of their child to make it easier for them to keep up the illegal nature of their actions.

June 16, 2009 at 4:33 pm |
  85. Beth

Tanya Evans must have her brain fried with drugs! What intelligent woman would think a young boy would be better off living in a strange country away from his biological father who loved and cared for him the first four years of his life? Obviously she's not a mother and if so...I really feel sorry her kids. Best of luck to you David!!!!

June 16, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  86. Esco

Wow, this is so sad. I cannot believe what this man is going thru...not to mention his only son. Why must his torment continue..., someone needs to help this man get his son back, along with many other families that should have legitimate custody. I hope the courts can dismiss the step-fathers appeal and return the boy to his real father.

God Bless you David and i wish the Best Of Luck. I wish there was something more i could do to help, but i will pray for you. Its not over until God decides it is...

June 16, 2009 at 4:31 pm |