Editor's note: Tuesday’s American Morning audience remained divided regarding the Palin-Letterman ‘joke’ story, as Letterman apologized to the governor. Some felt his joke was in very poor taste and that he had a long history of such; others saw this as an opportunity for Governor Palin to use her family as a public relations tool.
- Ginger: Whether you are a liberal or a conservative women should not be subject to derogatory remarks. I am glad David Letterman apologized and even happier that the national organization for women came out to protest. All women no matter their party affiliation, race or religion must stand together and protest derogatory comments made towards any woman. It must stop for women to meet their full potentials. Otherwise we will never see a woman breaking that glass ceiling.
- Anonymous: I was raped at 5 years old, my sister was date-raped at 22, and my niece was date-raped AT 20. i applaud CNN for reporting the insensitive and crude jokes of David Letterman. I have enjoyed watching his show for many years, but will not again.
- Barbara: I just wish you would bring Letterman's long history of overt Bias that may have caused this flap to be the 'straw that broke the camel’s back '! When Hillary C. was running for NY senator, he covertly gave her the difficult statistic / facts questions in advance to make her look 'smart and knowledgeable ' about the state. It was discovered, but the parties shrugged it off, and, that thanks to 'news people' with the same bias, the unfairness never surfaced !! I think we all know, there is NO 'SORRY' on Letterman's part except he is starting to sweat the backlash against him !!! And the complaints to his sponsors !!
- Andre: Palin scores a victory over letterman. That is another three weeks of news attention for the dope.
- Al: Letterman – Palin. Don't you get it? Nobody cares.... This is just a gimmick to get Palin more media coverage.
What do you think of David Letterman’s apology to Governor Palin? Do you believe that he, as a comedian, needed to apologize for the joke, or was the governor using this as an opportunity to gain public attention? Comment here or follow the story at this link.