American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 24th, 2009

Healthcare nightmare

President Obama says he's confident he'll get a plan in place that will drive down the crushing cost of health care for Americans who have it while helping the millions who don't.

CNN’s Jim Acosta has the story of a Texas woman who says her insurance company tried to sentence her to death.

Filed under: Health
  1. Charles

Illegals are human beings, how much do you think it will cost to try
    and sent them back ( an impossible task) you would have come
    across the border too if you lived under those conditions.

June 25, 2009 at 8:06 am |
  2. Bernice

Wrong Charles. They have already reported this, most all American can already get coverage, if they want it! Some do not even want it! Who they are looking to cover...is the illegal immagrants! I am tired of paying for this! They live for free off of the American people! Send em home! If our visas ran out in a country where we did not belong, another country would have our butts on the first plane home! They are only worried about the votes! Not the American people! Chips, cobra, that just mentions two of the healthcare programs for the poor! All they have to do now is call! BUT, they are American with rights!! They have the right to say that they do not want coverage! This is all being done just to cover the illegals and to have us pay for it! (oops! sorry, not only us! Our children and grandchildren) Boy oh boy! Arten't we just lucky to be Americans with a govt. that cares sooooo much for its people! (please do note the extreme sarcasm)

June 25, 2009 at 7:23 am |
  3. Charles

I think Government care is a little bit better than No Care !

June 25, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  4. Bernice

I was involved in a gov.run health care program right here in the US for many years! It took our family YEARS to get REAL coverage, and to be able to get rid of the gov. run program! Even after we no longer wanted to keep the coverage from our govt, they repeatedly called my home asking for all of my private information for a very long time to come! Finally getting rid of this coverage, I and my family are now covered by a GR8 medical coverage, and I WANT TO KEEP IT! We worked very hard for this coverage and I do not want Obama nor anyone to steal my good coverage, just so we can medically pay the bills for all of these illegal aliens!! Save the money!! Send em home and save the American people TRILLIONS! Just one more reason why we should have sealed the borders! BUT, the presidential administration does not do what WE THE PEOPLE wish for it to do, it does as it wishes! (No matter the cost to the American people!) He should not tell Iran or any country about FREEDOM, unless he can provide that right here at home! (for a change)

June 25, 2009 at 6:27 am |
  5. Charles L. Morse Sr.

I don't like the idea of government plan's for health care . I would rather see the government pay part of the health insurance of those that need it , and all of those that can't that or out of work to a pre set level of income . But I don't trust the government to get in to the buisness of insurance to the people . When the government gets in to caring for people it becomes a dictator to treatment and sets a bottom level of care . A zar in provider can give you a APC for pain of a broken back . I saw that in the Navy . Government care is always sub standard . Look at the VA . That is what you will get . I know been there and done that .

June 24, 2009 at 4:51 pm |
  6. Jim

Joe – You're partially right. People should take responsibility for their health and the cost of their health services. Kudos to you for understanding that and doing so. Insurance is a simple concept of transferring an unknown amount for fixed payments. It is reasonable to expect someone who is willing to absolve that risk from you to expect a profit. Why don't all you folks who think it's such an easy profit business start your own company? It takes about $2M to get started, that about $100/person for all the whining comments I've seen.

June 24, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  7. Joe

MEDICAL INSURANCE SHOULD BE MADE ILLEGAL.
    It's as bogus of a business concept as the Sun Gods were in ancient egypt.

It's deception. If you had all the money you spent on insurance when you were healthy maybe you'd have some money to buy medical attention when you need it. Insurance is a fraud scheme of MBAs.

It funds the medical industry before they've done anything. It's giant pool of money, no wonder the bills are so high. If I saw a giant pool of money I'd write bogus bills too to get some of the money too.

Insurance prevents the natural valuation of the services. If insurance did not exist the price of medical attention would drop 90% . Now the government wants to start billing tooo. It's a cash cow...............................mooooooo.

Save you money for the day when you are unhealthy. By the way I have crohn's disease. They wanted to charge me $600/month for insurance. I told them to pound salt. I get my drugs directly from India for 20 cents a pill vs 7 dollars a pill here ... and it's much better quality.

Get rid of insurance and convert it to pay as you go and the price comes down .............. fast!!!!!

June 24, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  8. Carmen

It is sad to see how insurance companies continue to profit from the misfortune of others. For example, my son has insurance, but a pre-condition clause is moving him closer and closer to bankruptcy. I'm at a total loss. When will somebody stand up and say "it's enough".

June 24, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  9. John Murphy

This is an example of the Third world health care system in the US. We have a universal heath care system in Canada, far superior to the money grabbing US one.

June 24, 2009 at 11:23 am |