American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 17th, 2009

Buy a truck, get an AK-47

The rough economy has been particularly tough on car dealers, so many of them have come up with innovative promotions to get vehicles off the lot.

And then there's this: starting in August, Mark Muller, president of Max Motors in Butler, Missouri will be giving away a free AK-47 assault rifle with the purchase of any truck. Muller spoke to Carol Costello on CNN’s “American Morning” Friday.

Carol Costello: Tell me about this promotion and why you decided to do this.

Mark Muller: Well, last year we gave away a free handgun with the purchase of any vehicle and it went over very well. It spiked our Web traffic. We sold, we estimate, 35 extra cars during the promotion than we normally would have and this year we're trying to sell an extra 100 cars more than we would. We're just trying to generate some traffic, generate some interest and enthusiasm and it seems to work real well. We're not just going to give people an AK-47 gun. Felons buy cars, too. What we are going to do is we’re going to give them a voucher where they can go to their local gun dealer or we have local gun dealers we would strongly recommend where they can go buy a gun and go through the proper background checks so the guns end up in the right hands.

Costello: How much does an AK-47 cost, I'm just curious?

Muller: It depends. You can get a good AK-47 for $450, maybe $500.

Costello: Some people watching this might think owning a handgun is one thing, but owning an AK-47 is something else and maybe this is just a tad irresponsible?

Muller: It's a little grandstanding. But how about that guy that just had him and his wife killed that had the twelve children with the seven guys coming through the door. I guarantee you he wishes he had an AK-47 as those maggots busted through his door and slaughtered him and his wife in front of his children. The purpose for guns like AK-47s is home defense.

Costello: Police officers are shot in the line of duty all the time and they carry guns every day. So maybe some might not think that is a great argument.

Muller: Well, I'd personally like to have a chance instead of just becoming a victim. I guarantee you those guys that broke through that door that used guns to kill those people did not have legal guns and did not go through the proper steps to get them. Those are all illegal guns and I would bet my bottom dollar on it. I haven't seen the facts yet, but, look, there is a bunch of evil in the world and people need to protect themselves. We’re real firm believers – we're country folks down here.

We live down here and we’re real firm believers in the Second Amendment and we don't want to become victims. I live out in the country – 15 miles from the dealership here on 1200 acres – and the response time to my home is about 15 minutes. And if I'm counting on the police – we have a great police force in Bates County, great sheriff, great police in Butler where we live – response time is still 15 minutes no matter how great the people are and how great their intentions are. And I would rather defend myself. The only 911 call I need is chambering a round. And I think that’s the case of most people down here.

Costello: I grew up in rural America, too. We had guns in our home, but they weren't AK-47s…

Muller: How long ago was that?

Costello: When I was a teenager. 20 years ago. 30 years ago.

Muller: Things have changed dramatically. I don't know if you know anything about Missouri. Where I live in this county there is a tremendous crime problem with people doing meth and these people – they’ve lost their souls. They don't care about you, they don't care about me, they care about one thing: getting more dope.

Costello: I understand evil in the world, but I'm just questioning the assault weapon to protect yourself. That's all I'm saying. Your motto is “God, guns, guts and American.” Why did you come up with that particular motto?

Muller: Actually it's “God, guns, guts and American pickup trucks.” Because we sell cars.

Costello: But you include God in that and, you know, some might wonder why God is included in a motto that also includes guns.

Muller: You don't have a problem with God, do you? I’m just curious…

Costello: No, I don't. But the combination some people might – between God and guns – some people might have a problem with that.

Muller: We're a Christian nation. We're Christian people. 70-80%, I would guess in this nation, would classify themselves as Christians. I’d say 90% of the people in this country believe in God, whoever their God is. And to try to remove God from everything I think is a huge mistake. I don’t think we need AK-47s if more people…

Costello: That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying putting God in a motto that also includes guns might be a little upsetting to some people.

Muller: You don't think God wants us to defend ourselves? I'm confused. You know. I don’t think God wants us to become victims.

Costello: I don't know. I could ask you the question, you know, we could do the “what would Jesus do.” Would he carry a gun?

Muller: No. They didn't have guns back then, but I do believe he’d carry a sword if he needed it. But he was so powerful he didn't need any weapon.

Filed under: Gun rights
  1. Gene T

Pagan in VA..........you are just a perfect living example of the smallest of minorities trying to intimidate Christians.

No one is trying to make Christianity a National religion. That would be against the constitution. What is being said is that there are more Christians (by far) in this Nation than any other religion......so it could correctly be assumed that it is a Christian Nation by majority....not law.

And, I don't know about the rest of the folks in here who believe in protecting their loved ones and property, but I promise never to use my evil guns to protect you and your loved ones.

March 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Bob

These people are both idiots.

March 14, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  3. David

"No. They didn't have guns back then."

September 29, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  4. ThePatriot

I have never seen reporter speak with such little intellegence in my life! She spoke down to a true American, questioning his ideas and thoughts and challenging him with nothing more than her blind opinions. No wonder it was so easy for him to make her stumble! I would go on for hours on why she should lose her post at CNN, but she is a waste of my time and I want to highlight the other individual in this story.

This man is an example of what our contry needs. Wealth is only generated through agriculture, mining, and manufacture. All other industries convert or change wealth, but they do not add to our country. Do yourselves a favor – BUY AMERICAN! While you are at it, give your family assurance to sleep comfortably at night. Tell your wives and babes that nothing can harm them because you live in a land where you are free to defend yourself.

Ours is a country of passion; passion that is evident in our great declaration and found again when we decided that is not only the right, but the responsibility of our citizens to take arms to defend our freedoms. Our founding fathers called for an armed militia to oppose our own government should it stand in the way of liberty. If our military and police carry rifles, we must be able to do the same. No one in America will force you to carry or own a weapon; overcome your unfounded liberal mindsets and embrace an opportunity.

Buy a truck, buy a gun, and BUY AMERICAN!! God bless America and Mark Muller.

August 7, 2009 at 5:06 pm |
  5. GMoney2009

Sorry for the confusion. I mis-interpreted your statement about "think back to why your family decided to migrate to the states to begin with before you start talking about taking away our freedoms."

My family emigrated to escape religious persecution, as a state run by those acting in the name of god, cannot serve all of it's people, unless they all believe in the same god. I hear this argument all the time – UNDER GOD – "well, you know, the Christian God of our forefathers" – No, I don't know, because our forefathers didn't want a state religion or state god. FREEDOM from religion, should be equal to FREEDOM to practice whatever religion you want... until either infringes upon the rights and freedoms of another person, who is entitled to those same RIGHTS and FREEDOMS as you, as a Human Being.

As for the Well Regulated Militia portion, I agree with your argument. "the militia is trained, organized, and overseen by a competent commander" – so what is your modern day example of that? The NRA? The Minutemen? (Not the 1700s / the 2000s version) The KKK? A drug gang? The Police? The local National Guard?

I say, Well Regulate a Militia, and the argument is over.

I'm not anti-gun, but I am anti-gun without regulation. And it seems you are as well, from this: "it is true that people that can legally own guns, meaning that they went through the FBI or ATF background check"

I have a story in the middle of this page about the time I was held up at gunpoint. Maybe those are the guys you are talking about. And by the way, they would have been using my well regulated gun in their next crime. Had I been prepared to use it that night, I would have shot my assailant through the heart and then head at point blank, w/o hesitation, but as I mentioned, it just wasn't my night, and my gun probably sitting on the floor of my car, would have ended up in the hands of those "felons".

Some "Liberal" taking away your freedom. I don't know what you were doing after 9/11, but I was scared sh*tless by Bush / Cheney. I don't think many people realized it, but we were pretty close to Marshall Law those few years. One more catastrophe, and the people might have needed to rise up against their government, as our forefathers possibly intended with the second amendment. Of course with partisan politics the way they were, it probably would have headed to another "civil" war, as opposed to a restoration of government. There are a few more examples of times in modern history that the US Government has considered a suspension of the constitution, and I'm pretty sure, those incidents were mostly under Republican watch, as opposed to "Liberal" watch. They won't need your license, they'll just come knocking door to door, like the military in Iraq / Afghanistan do on a daily basis.

Those Liberals, as you describe them, aren't about taking away your guns to punish YOU, they are about taking away those guns that everyone keeps losing to the side that's AGAINST the LAW. Some states don't have as strict gun purchase laws, and some people who have guns to sell, aren't as careful about who they sell them to – Capitalism in action. You can't complain about that, can you? Laissez Faire in love and war.

Legal gun ownership is a privilege, as you note. But without LAWS, there is no LEGAL in Gun Ownership.

So the next time you think some Liberal is coming to pry your gun from your cold dead hands, thank them for letting you own as many guns as you can hold in those hands, and not as many as may fall into the warm living hands of those who might want to use them to harm Liberals, Conservatives, or any other ilk of the political spectrum.

Stop watching so much "news" because it only makes you want to go out and buy more guns and hole up in your compound.

Let me know when you get your Well Regulated Militia started and I'll come with my pickup with Missoura plates, and gun rack with a nice American made semi auto that I legally purchased and went through all the background checks for, and then, together, we can rise up to fight the tyranny of unchecked government.

(To the government reading this – note – not until you screw up so badly that we need to – and currently, I don't own any guns, but I know my gun toting neighbors are out of town on vacation this week, so give me a minute to raise arms)

Honestly, I think Corporations are killing this county / world more than Government and Gun Laws, but TV is the opiate of the masses, and they have sooooooo many cool things you can buy from the comfort of your lazy boy. If only you could buy guns too.

No go shoot your TV. Trust me you'll be a better person for it. (Sorry CNN blog moderator.)

August 7, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  6. adam

First Off G, no where did I state that I was a Native American. I am a white male of mostly Polish/English heritage and both sides of my family came to the states long ago seeking a better life in a free country. "Well regulated" very simply means that the militia is trained, organized, and overseen by a competent commander. I'm gonna ignore the parts about the tv and the washing as they were not meant literally, but I was trying to show a freedom that could be taken that some liberal may enjoy doing. And it is true that people that can legally own guns, meaning that they went through the FBI or ATF background check and paid the money to get said guns, are very rarely in the news for killing someone with said guns. Its the people that you do hear about in the news, all these felons that arent supposed to have guns of any kind to begin with or the people that are seen as mentally unstable by the state psychologist, that give legal gun owners a bad name when said felon or mental case goes out and shoots up a store or college and makes national news. The only thing you see on a television is something that is gonna make you wanna watch more television. Good news is boring news.

August 6, 2009 at 9:21 pm |
  7. GMoney2009

Dear Adam,

You seem to suffer with a similar problem to what you accuse Val of. In your "analysis" you forgot two very important words, "WELL REGULATED". They proceeded MILITIA in the Constitutional Quote.

Adam, I also hope that you have made it off of the reservation, and if not, then I hope someday you, as an armed Native American, (by the way, unbound by the Constitution of the Untied States of America, as most tribes are recognized as Sovereign Nations) will rise up to slay the White Christians that have oppressed you and your people for the last 517 years.

As for the whole television thing, I wish it were outlawed, because it tends to make people complacent and/or dumb.

Washing clothes by hand, has it's benefits, especially if you don't use the chemicals that are sold by the Fascist Corporations and are polluting our environment at all levels of their life cycle – Creation and handling of the Chemicals, that make the other Chemicals, which are generally overused, and then forced into public waterways where they continue to pollute for generations. As a Native American, I would think you would be more in touch with the land, like the crying Indian Chief of the 70's. Go to tinyurl dot com and use the code – /2oadd5 – for a reminder of that great man that once represented your people against the White Oppression of litter.

As for the "government backing" of which you speak, would that be the backing of your tribal government or the US Government?

The last fact you present is fascinating. We should license people that want to have heart attacks, and let the gun owners roam free.

Thanks for your incite-ful comments.

G.

August 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  8. adam

dear Val, you seem to be unable to read and comprehend what you yourself have just typed on your computer. You said it yourself "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" What does that mean to you? A militia is (according to encyclopedia Britannica) a "military organization of citizens." That means that every citizen have the oppurtunity to be in it. They do not have a banner or a flag to fly other than that of the state or country they reside in. And I think you should think back to why your family decided to migrate to the states to begin with before you start talking about taking away our freedoms. What if I came into your house and told you that you could no longer watch television? Or you had to wash clothes by hand? And what if I had the government backing me on it? How would you feel about that one? Guns in the hands of people that are supposed to have them kill fewer people in ten years than heart attacks do in a year. Think about that a sec.

August 5, 2009 at 11:51 pm |