American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 23rd, 2009

What’s on Tap – Thursday, July 23, 2009

Here are the big stories on the agenda today:

• It's the part of President Obama's prime time news conference – that will have everyone talking today.  The president going off topic to address the arrest of Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates at his own home, saying police "acted stupidly."  Today we're also hearing from the arresting officer himself – and we're live in Washington on the president's reaction.
  • We’re also breaking down his health care plan.  A campaign-style trip planned today after his urgent pitch last night.  But does this work for you?  How much will it cost you and your country? We’ll have a panel of experts break down every important detail, get GOP reaction from Rudy Giuliani, and hear from one of the president’s closest advisers, David Axelrod
  • Dramatic developments in the Michael Jackson death investigation.  Police raid the office of the doctor who was with Jackson when he died.  The attorney for Dr. Conrad Murray now says investigators are building a case of manslaughter against him.

Filed under: What's On Tap
  1. Marilyn

Karla – I am a private citizen, and not at all wealthy, but *I* contribute to several organizations at times to help them get their ads on the air. I think it is important to get the truth out, and to counteract the lies. BTW, I believe that those who are trying to reform the system HAVE been doing their best to inform and enlighten, especially the President. If you listen, he has been very straightforward.

Perhaps, instead of asking who is paying the PACs, we need to ask Who is paying the Senators and Congress to block reform? And how much? Every once in a while, word leaks out. I saw an article a few weeks ago detailing how much Lieberman got from the insurance and pharma industries. Then (big surprise!) he sudddenly decided that he was "skeptical" about the wisdom of the reform.

July 24, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  2. Karla Sinclair

I must say I am tired of hearing so much from both sides the aisle that hasn't informed or enlightened us on healthcare reform for weeks now.

Since it seems no bill will come out before the August break, I am hoping this will end or at least cut down on the commercials paid for by PACs about healthcare reform. They are running so much that I feel like it is still election time.

What would really be interesting is knowing who is paying for these commercials. During the election, CNN did a pretty good job of reporting how close to the truth the campaign commercials were. I'm not asking for judgment on the truth behind the healthcare reform commercials...just tell us who is paying for them and let us make up our own mind about their veracity.

Who are the largest contributors to these PACs...on both sides? That would be interesting.

July 23, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  3. Bernice

He should be worried about JOBS! NOT A TAKEOVER! He is only concerned on how to take over the American People, and leave the govt in charge! THERE GOES UR FREEDOM OF CHOICE! This administration seems to be demolishing our constitutional rights! Have him just do the job that any other president has to do! On top of that, have him ANSWER to the PEOPLE! JOBS! Where are all of the jobs that he promiosed?? Oh yeah, the unemployment rates jumped up once again with NO NEW JOBS! It is heading down a path where it will only become worse! Now we have to pay back stimulas packages that were given as a Demo party ....Christmas party! They got thier flowers, tunnels for the frogs and turtles, help for the horses, heck!! they even saved the minnows! Too bad that it cost the Californians thier farm lands and JOBS! 85,000 to be exact! And it shut down our tomato industry in the USA! Thats ok.. You can now get them from Mexico, and we ALL KNOW how well they treat the vegtables headed to the tables of the American People! I tell you what, please STOP THIS before we are nothing more than the slaves.. (who has to pay this admin. dearly).

July 23, 2009 at 10:23 am |
  4. Kevin W

I am a retired Law Enforcement Lieutenant from N.J. I would like to comment on the issue of Race leading to arrest and harassment. 1st I would like to say IT REALLY DON'T HAPPEN !! What happens is,, your younger Police officer's are trying out their new found muscle and powers. They will harass and often arrest people with little reason, and that goes for all RACES... Some don't ever grow out of it, because the courts generally will side with the Officer, stating that the Officer has nothing to gain by lying.. Well of course he has nothing to gain, he/she received all that POWER when they were sworn in.. I would on many occasions not allow many of my young Officer's arrest's, and before long they stopped playing their Power Games when I was on duty.. Some of these Officer's just need proper supervision and not just have their actions rubber stamped by their superiors.. It's not a race issue, it's a power issue.. The one's who do this, do this to all regardless of race, religion, or age..

July 23, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  5. Marilyn

Elizabeth Cohen has impressed me as a reasonable, rational, intelligent, think-on-her-feet kind of analyst, but she really blew it this morning. She took one of the President's "long" sentences, and broke it down to rate the accuracy. Unfortunately, by taking one phrase of the sentence out of context, she totally changed the meaning, and delcared it false, when, in fact, it was totally true. She actually did that twice for the same sentence.

The sentence began (paraphrasing here) "If you already have your own health care and you are happy with it and you want to keep it, then the government will not be involved in your medical decisions..."

The entire sentence was to (and about) people who plan to keep their own health care, NOT about people who will be opt for the government option. By ignoring that important part of the sentence, she made it sound like the President was lying twice in the sentence, WHICH HE WAS NOT.

I hope this serious mis-information can be corrected on the air, but, in truth, the damage is already done. You have characterized President Obama as being dishonest with the American people regarding his intentions for health care reform, and that is very destructive. It may have been an accident, but everytime the media portrays him in a slanted way, and that happens a lot, his ratings drop, and it becomes harder for him to accomplish his agenda.

July 23, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  6. Milt Mosher

When individuals, not employers or government, are required to obtain ther individual coverage from insurance companies so that they have to deal with 300 million individuals instead of fewer companies and union contract change will be complete. Employers do not provid home, auto, or any other kind of insurance and it is time for individual responsibility. When I served in the Military, every time I moved I was required to hand carry my own health records with me. maybe instead of a costly government mandated system we could all take care of our own given the availability of technology todaly. Maybe a system where my records are transfered to a computer ready media and required to get medical treatment. Just a thought

July 23, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  7. John

What about the racism shown to whites by blacks?

Racism is shown by both sides.

Overcoming the ignorance behind racism is the only way to fix it.
    It is not the color of the skin that matters, the quality of the person is what is important.

July 23, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  8. John Richard

Pres. Obama side steped a direct question that's been on my mind... Will the Kings and Queens of both parties in the House and Senate wait in the same line for the same healthcare they want to legislate for us? If we all had the same coverage they do the country would have allready colapsed!!!

July 23, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  9. Howard Steinberg

I recently saw a former executive of Cigna on a Bill Moyers program on health care reform. this executive detailed how the insurance industry is driven by wall street(what a comfort) since these companies are publicly traded. Wall street is demanding a 20% profit margin be held by these companies. when Aetna had an 18.5 % profit the stock fell and it's answer was to purge 8 million from the rolls. The only was insurance companies can achieve that profit figure is to deny care for as long as possible or purge people with a marginal health status. I don't know why you never touch on this in your debate, and because you never do. I think your credibility as reporters is going down. the question is really: do you want a health care system driven by wall street profits, or one that is run by a government that is sworn to protect you. The second major issue is that a majority of health care dollars is spent in the last year of a patients life. why? Yes we will need to ration care, and decide are we prolonging a death or prolonging a life. Where are the new Walter Cronkites? Why are you all so afraid to discuss these issues? Afraid of offending a corporate sponsor?

July 23, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  10. TEMBA ANICETUS

Since the Healthcare costs are directly correlated with the national deficit, the data from the Congressional shows a decline of healthcare cost in the future if all necessary measures are implemented. The data from the Congressional budget office shows the regression plot including the residual analysis, scatter plot, and normal probability. In deed, the data result shows negative coefficient correlation of r -0.14; a perfect indication that healthcare costs will decline for the next coming years. The decline of future health care cost may likely be the results of new technological changes, improved medicine, pharmaceutical technologies, better the internet medical system management, improved management infrastructures, better health education, preventive medicine, food quality as well stable financial institution and good governance. Furthermore, the scatter plot shows Medicare care costs savings of 540 billion dollar per year or 5 trillion dollars over the next 10 years. This time, the president is on the right track.
    Cost regression analysis was obtained form congressional budget office from 1969 to 2008 and the equation show y=-0.0164x+53.4

July 23, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  11. anthony mccants

do cnn ever respond to your constituents

what does take you only respond to 1 person out of 1000

I swear I've never seen or heard of any response to

nothing I've submited I wander why..I'm beginning to think

something I don't want to..because rick sanchez/cafferty
    and my man roland keeps me interested in cnn

July 23, 2009 at 7:59 am |
  12. Sinda

Institute of Stress estimates that 75-90% of doctor office visits are from conditions related to stress. And a staggering amount of people take a sleep aid. Isn't it time to look at how we can take care of ourselves on a day to day basis. Self-regulation is one of the hardest things for people to do but it would cut out alot of symptoms like headaches, digestive problems, heart palpitations, high blood pressure, sleep problems, anxiety, depression and on and on. Our nervous systems were designed to run from sabertooth tigers and now we react in the same way to daily events. Instead of doing something to help ourselves, we adapt to these situations and take medicine. Why isn't this stress factor spoken about more?

July 23, 2009 at 7:58 am |
  13. Char

Jeff's comment, July 23rd, 2009 6:15 am ET

Who does Gates think he is. If the officer is made to apologize to Gates, Gates should apologize to the officer. From what I’ve read Gates was frustrated and took it out on the officer. The officer was following procedure. However, I don’ t think the officer should have arrested Gates. He should have just left after seeing that Gates was legit.
    _____________________________________

You said the right thing, from "what you read," but none of us really know what happened, so we do not know who owes who the apology

On health care, Americans want health care NOW. So please tell Guiliani that is what the rush is in case he doesn't know. If the Republicans have such good plans, then why do we not have it already? On Gates, Please stop making the President's comment a mountain when it is just a mole hill. He is entitled to his opinion about the story just like we are.

July 23, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  14. Michael Nick

I thought the speech and q & a that the President gave last night was good. Everyone knows that this (healthcare) is not an easy task. Yet there seems to be many that suddenly have an opionion now that the President is pushing it. We need to give him a chance. I mean how much can it hurt. I am without it now, I can't afford it. after having to suffer through pneumonia because paying cash was not an option. i would take my chances with the Pres.

July 23, 2009 at 7:44 am |
  15. Theresa

Health care insurance coverage is imperative, a pillar, in economic recovery. However, one of our emplyees chooses the cash option instead of coverage under our group BC/BS plan putting himself at potentially ruinous financial risk.. But, it's his choice and not a case of "can't afford it" given that we provide a competitive salary, rent-free housing, meals and company vehicle.

July 23, 2009 at 7:35 am |
  16. veronica Dasalia

The presidents speech wasn,t to convincing to me, health coverage he gonna spend big bucks on health care, what about the people need to work. he should make the job reform instead.

July 23, 2009 at 7:29 am |
  17. vronica Dasalia

pres ident should try get the the people start working again so they can have there homes back and health insurance.

July 23, 2009 at 7:22 am |
  18. vronica Dasalia

people need a job in order to afford health care insurance, mostly in the united states don,t have a job. why the president talk about health care insurance. Kauai the jobs over is tough.

July 23, 2009 at 7:17 am |
  19. vronica Dasalia

healt toughh care is issue in the united states, I don,t have health coverage an i,m not complaining about it. I just stay healthy.

July 23, 2009 at 7:12 am |
  20. Jeff

Further, on the Gates thing. I think it TOTALLY in appropriate for the President of the United States to call police STUPID. Obama should apologize the the Cambridge Police Department. Period.

July 23, 2009 at 6:23 am |
  21. Jeff

Who does Gates think he is. If the officer is made to apologize to Gates, Gates should apologize to the officer. From what I've read Gates was frustrated and took it out on the officer. The officer was following procedure. However, I don' t think the officer should have arrested Gates. He should have just left after seeing that Gates was legit.

July 23, 2009 at 6:15 am |