American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 4th, 2009
  1. Warren Pugh

If there is any validity in percentages what percent of our classrooms and, or, schools do you suspect are well disciplined?

Information and discussions on discipline fill the web pages of our computers. We need to grasp and apply.

Warren

NOW

October 9, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  2. David

Sounds to me like the poor teachers are getting blamed for our children not learning.
    Our chidren have no discipline and that is something taught by the parents. "Spare the rod, spoil the child."
    I think we should make the schools like a boot camp. If a child does not want to do his or her work, take disciplinary action to make them do it. If they do not want to do their work, make them dig a hole in the ground and then refill it and I think they will come around and decide they would rather do their homework than dig holes in the ground.
    I helped raise two stepchildren and that was a big problem, getting them to do their work and them lying to us and saying they did not have any. I even had my daughter tell me one time I could not spank her or she would have me put in jail. People, these kids know this and know you can not make them do something if they dont want to.
    So we have to make a decision. Do we want our kids to grow up educated and doing good or do we want them to grow up uneducated and doing menial tasks all their adult lives.
    We have to stop letting these kids do anything they want untill their 18 and then say 'Hey, get a job and work.", There is a few that will get a job but the majority of them dont want to work because it is not fun and exciting.
    So people, break out your dad's old belt and use it if needed and buy a new shovel.
    In all species, childhood is a time when a parent prepares that child , cub, or etc., to make it on his or her own when they are an adult.
    I know it is not easy, my little girl had me wrapped around her finger and the last thing I wanted to do was spank her. Now I know what my dad and mom meant when they said, "Son, this is going to hurt me more than it does you." I thought then, how the heck could this hurt them more than it does me?? Now I know.

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  3. Warren Pugh

George. Identifying forces responsible for the declension of American
    education is intricate but far from obscure. Yesterday I subbed a class of frosh for most of the day. Whereas in many schools kids work hard in this one they did not and seldom do.

I thanked the kids who worked. I questioned two of them. "Does this class always behave this way". "Yes, and Mr. X has told us that if we don't care to work we will just fail". Another student as I was distributing worksheets said, "All we do is worksheets . . . . he does not do any teaching . . ."'

A hundred years ago, little exaggeration, I knew 97% of the parents
    of the kids I taught and 80% of the rest of kids. 97%? 100% of parents, grandparents and guardians. College textbooks now exist that suggest teachers get to know parents and recommend we even make visits. No brainer. And we need a $130.00 hardcover book and three months of college to figure this out.

Competent for incompetent? Be ready for a battle with state education associations and the AFT. They make many $$$$, but they are steeped in mediocrity and use the $$$$ as a battering ram.

Warren

September 30, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  4. George

I also wonder what is the reason for the lack of discipline among school children and how go we get competent teachers? Do we need to just replace incompetent teachers with competent ones or set up support programs for newly hired teachers?

September 30, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  5. Warren Pugh

Interviewing more than 300 foreign exchange students many of whom who have shorter days I find they are more competent with better penmanship skills, discipline and marks than American kids in the same classroom. When presented with this anomaly a Washington State superintendent asked me if the exchange students were from a higher social status. ??? Recently students in the Netherlands were given an American history test and they far exceeded their American counterparts. Bottom line? Among others?
    Discipline and competent teachers.

September 30, 2009 at 6:55 am |
  6. Leif

I am an unemployed, experienced teacher. I really don't think longer school days and years are the long-term solution to our problem. So many students are not focused in school, have very little respect for their peers and adults in school, and just don't use their time wisely while at school. Too many kids go home and are NOT held accountable to do their homework, do not contribute positively to the running of their household, and do not go to bed at a decent hour. Holding kids for a longer time at school might help them get their work done, but it doesn't address the root of the problem-which is a family value and parental skills issues 🙂

September 30, 2009 at 6:54 am |
  7. Angela Savage Austin

In response to children going to school and having longer days and shorter summers... I wrote The White House, Rick Sanchez and Anderson Cooper with the following suggestion and now I am writing you. Let’s start a “Campaign For Champions” Why can't we use the Media to create a TV Show where children can write, email, or video that they have a dream and share with the viewing public what their dreams are. The TV Show points them in the right direction by providing them with contacts, programs, any and all resources available to make their dreams come true or jump start them. You have so many resources available and I am willing to help if you have me. Sincerely, Angela Savage Austin

September 30, 2009 at 6:51 am |
  8. Angela Savage Austin

In response to children going to school and having longer days and shorter summers... U wrote The White House, Rick Sanchez and Anderson Cooper with the following suggestion and now I am writing you. Let’s start a “Campaign For Champions” Why can't we use the Media to create a TV Show where children can write, email, or video that they have a dream and share with the viewing public what their dreams are. The TV Show points them in the right direction by providing them with contacts, programs, any and all resources available to make their dreams come true or jump start them. You have so many resources available and I am willing to help if you have me. Sincerely, Angela Savage Austin

September 30, 2009 at 6:49 am |
  9. Barbara

Considering the competition that our children will be facing in the world today and to come, 180 days – 5 hours a day, just will not help them meet the challenge. All children deserve the educational opportunities that they will need for their future. The school day and school year should definitely be increased. At the same time, teachers should not be expected to increase expanded role to meet the needs. They need to be allowed to teach and coach students to learn. They are not daycare providers, breakfast and lunch patrol, playground supervisors, policemen, or substitute parents. They are teachers. They should be held accountable for what they are expected to do, and then given the support and tools that they need to help our children succeed. By the way, I am NOT a teacher.

September 30, 2009 at 6:43 am |
  10. Jon

I am a sub teacher and I feel that if your are only adding time than it's a bad ideal. But if we add creative ideas that allows students to interact with the matrial such as many more field trips and co-ops, than than it can work. But be careful if you burn out students than it will back fire.

September 30, 2009 at 6:41 am |
  11. Viiida

Quality education is a right for all human beings. There should not be a cost for it. Education should be free private or public.
    Integrating children wiith needs is something that has been in effect for several years.

Education and Health care are a right, not a priviledge.

September 5, 2009 at 10:18 am |