American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 4th, 2009

Avlon: 'Wingnuts' try to politicize president's talk to kids

Editor’s note: John P. Avlon is the author of Independent Nation: How Centrists Can Change American Politics and writes a weekly column for The Daily Beast. Previously, he served as Chief Speechwriter for New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and was a columnist and associate editor for The New York Sun.

Rep. Pete Stark (L) and Jim Greer (R).

Rep. Pete Stark (L) and Jim Greer (R).

As a heated wingnut summer heads to a close, we look at a new GOP “socialist” attack on President Obama for speaking to school children, a ‘brain dead’ attack on Democratic centrists and, in a bonus round, a callous conspiracy theory just in time for the 8th anniversary of 9/11.

President Obama is slated to give a speech to America’s school children next Tuesday on the subject of taking personal responsibility for their success in school.

Last time I checked, personal responsibility and socialism were opposite concepts, but that didn’t stop Florida GOP Chair Jim Greer from firing off an unhinged press release. Here’s an excerpt:

“As the father of four children, I am absolutely appalled that taxpayer dollars are being used to spread President Obama's socialist ideology … I do not support using our children as tools to spread liberal propaganda. The address scheduled for September 8, 2009, does not allow for healthy debate on the President's agenda, but rather obligates the youngest children in our public school system to agree with our President's initiatives or be ostracized by their teachers and classmates…Now that school is back in session, President Obama has turned to American's children to spread his liberal lies, indoctrinating American's youngest children before they have a chance to decide for themselves."

Greer accused the president of using the speech to promote his political agenda – though the speech was never slated to cover policy. The Department of Education did change language in a lesson plan that suggested students write a letter about how they would help the president after hearing him speak. PolitiFact’s Truth-o-Meter did a rundown on the ‘controversy’ and published its results with a “Pants on Fire” ruling.

This knee-jerk name-calling and hyper-partisan hysteria is the latest sign that things have become completely unhinged inside the hotbox of the GOP. Accusing the president of having a “socialist ideology” and spreading “liberal lies” and “propaganda” don’t even raise common sense – or common decency – concerns.

Wingnuts live in a world without perspective, and those on the right are trying to turn the President of the United States into a fearful figure in order to score partisan points with their base. Only the far, far left fringe would have accused President Bush of having a ‘fascist ideology” – and they would have rightly been laughed off the stage. These statements are coming from GOP party officials – politicizing a talk to school kids by the President of the United States. Stay classy, GOP.

But liberals have showed plenty of their own wingnuttery in recent weeks, wrestling among themselves over the anger at town hall protests and asking whether compromise is courageous or cowardice. Liberal Democrat Rep. Pete Stark, who heads the health subcommittee on the Ways and Means Committee, took aim at the centrist Blue Dog Democrats on a conference call with reporters, saying they “just want to cause trouble” and that they are "brain dead.” Here’s the full quote:

"They're for the most part, I hate to say, brain dead, but they're just looking to raise money from insurance companies and promote a right-wing agenda that is not really very useful in this whole process."

Lyndon Johnson once famously said that the difference between liberals and cannibals is that cannibals don’t eat their friends and family members. The idea that the Blue Dog Democrats – who have been trying to rein-in spending and fighting to preserve the possibility of a bipartisan bill – are promoting a "right-wing agenda" is evidence of a creeping intolerance on the part of liberal congressional leaders. They are starting to look like mirror images of the play-to-the-base partisanship they rightly decried during the Tom DeLay era.

Finally, in an off-the-grid bonus round that hits a new low, former CIA analyst and conspiracy theorist Michael Scheuer lobbed another offensive claim just in time for the 8th anniversary of the attacks of September 11th – asserting that the Obama administration wants America to be attacked by terrorists:

"Oh sure we're going to be attacked … and, you know, Rahm Emanuel wants an attack. He loves crisis, and crisis, the Democrats, he says, can get all of their programs through. These people simply do not care."

A few months ago, Scheuer hit on a variation of the same ugly theme, this time almost cheerleading for an attack: "The only chance we have as a country right now is for Osama bin Laden to deploy and detonate a major weapon in the United States ... Because it's going to take a grassroots, bottom up pressure, because these politicians prize their office, prize the praise of the media and the Europeans. It's an absurd situation, again. Only Osama can execute an attack that will force Americans to demand a government protect them effectively, consistently and with as much violence as necessary."

It’s hard to imagine an uglier or more offensive accusation, especially on the approaching anniversary of the deadliest terrorist attack in history. It’s shameless and a shameful new low in the wingnut ring of dishonor.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of John Avlon.

Filed under: Wingnuts of the week
  1. Eric

This is not about racism or partisanship. This is about people starting to stand up to government interference in our daily lives. Many people are waking up to the fact that we should no longer be dependent upon the government telling us and our children what to do and how to live.

September 4, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  2. Paul

To those who think this is about a black president: hello people, he's half white. Stop using your stupid race excuses, it only highlights your own insecurities and paranoia.

September 4, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  3. Jessica

I have no problem with President Obama addressing America’s Children (even though I STRONGLY disagree with his views) Maybe things like this will even lead to the next generation being more involved in politics. I don’t even have a problem with ED.gov providing a lesson plan that teachers can choose whether or not to use. What I have a problem with is the questions being asked in the provided lesson plan. They are leading questions, (“What is the president asking me to do?” and “Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us?”). I feel like he is trying to force his agenda down their throats, and that I do have a problem with. I respect the democrats right to their opinion, but their rights are NOT more important than my own, or anyone elses.

September 4, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  4. Chris Moore

I think we have bigger problems than the president addressing students like.... where are we as American's going to get our news these days. CNN is clearly supporting Obama and the Democrats, Fox news is clearly supporting the GOP. Gone are the days of unbiased, un-slanted, reporting of the facts, so that we as Americans can make informed decisions based on these assertions. MSNBC, I'm sorry, is just an infomercial joke, talk about wingnuts... take five minutes and listen to that broadcast.

Here is where I am at... I am "forced" to watch Fox news these days because I don't believe I get both pro and con from CNN. If a Republican were in office, I would be forced to watch CNN to get the "whole" story. Something is wrong here, does anyone else see this?

Hypocrisy runs rampant in both parties, and both media outlets (Fox and CNN)... I do not see "change". Lines have been drawn by the media, either red.... or blue... the media has become a pawn of the government. So... here I am, dealing with half truths on both sides of EVERY argument. I am fearful for our country as there are those among us who are not as adept or willing to listen and understand this point. God bless America, we really need it bad these days.

September 4, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  5. teacheng

Hilarious. I like how the commentors on here can't keep to a solid point and we can see the hinges coming off. My favorite is the guy who brings up Rangel and his tax problems at the end of his rant. What does that have to do with the rest of it?

Reagan addressed the school children and actually DID speak about policy. Bush spoke as well. Those days were also used as part of 'lesson plans.' This is partisan craziness at its worst. When even John Avlon, who worked for Guiliani, is prompted to speak up against this out loud in an editorial, you know that you're on the fringe, people!

September 4, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  6. america sucks

The republicans are pathetic...They have more in common with the Nazi party than Obama... Every Nazi had to tow the party line... Every Republican tows the party line... The nazis scared the public into obeying.. The republicans are doing the same thing... If you dissent the Nazis strung you up with wire... Disagree with the republicans and you will pay dearly....

How pathetic America has become! When a Republican President is in office he's a god (remember the Republicans wanter Regan on mount rushmore)... You can't disrespect A Republican president but its ok to disrespect a Democrat president!

September 4, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  7. Tom L

It's not just a speech, don't people understand that? It is the material and assignment afterward that is dangerous and smacks of what an assignment would be for school children in Iran. It asks children to write down how they can help President Obama, not the country, the community, their family or their school. President Obama. That is the problem.

September 4, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  8. GQ

77% of people don't support a public option. It's down in the 30%. See you are the wingnuts he's talking about. Do you even read or do you just make up stats. You are the crazy person who doesn't know he's crazy. This is why nothing gets accomplished the far left ideologue takes any comment by anyone and slants it to their agenda.

September 4, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  9. dave

The elephant in the room is: VAN JONES why is CNN choosing to be quiet on this man? A self avowed Communist, Marxist and Radical is a special adviser to our President, and CNN says nothing?

September 4, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  10. james

I have no objection to having my children watching president Obama speak on the importance of an education. I have concerns about teachers, the same teachers that are told how to vote by their unions, assigning and grading homework based on left leaning opinion. In less than 50 years we have gone from "Ask not what what my country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" to "what can you do for president Obama?" This is not the same as the "say no to drugs" speech or "stay in school" speeches by Bush Sr. and Reagan.

September 4, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  11. Permit 69

Absolutely do not want this guy talking to the kids of America regarding his socialist ideas- he should have remained a community organizer and spoken to the kids within his "community."

September 4, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  12. Chris

How many of the posters here have actually *read* the optional lesson plans? It is a stretch to conclude that there is anything in them promoting some kind of political agenda.

This country has a serious problem with the high school drop out rate. Nationwide, only about 70% of our students graduate and in some areas the graduation rate is well below 50%. Those numbers are a disgrace, and have significant consequences for the long term economic viability (and by extension, the national security) of this country. How are people who are functionally illiterate going to contribute to the betterment of our society as a whole?

I think it is wonderful that the President is taking time to exhort students to work hard, stay in school and do their best. Aren't these, fundamentally, American values?

September 4, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  13. Lori

I have never been more ashamed of my fellow americans. Since when is it ok to call our president these terrible names? I remember the backlash of the Dixie Chicks just for saying they disagree with the idiot Bush, Where is the outrage over this blatant racism we are seeing from the wingnut states. If this keeps up all the Republicans will have left will be Alabama, Kentucky and Arkansas. Most reasonable republicans don't want anything to do with this latest ploy to cut down our president. Do you dimwits not see how unamerican this is. Form a club headed by Sarah Palin, Ann Couloter, Rush and Glenn Beck, oh and throw Bill Oreilly in there and form your own country Please. Oh you can take Texas with you.

September 4, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  14. sam katz

Yeah, who are the real nuts here? The CEO of Wholefoods writes a very measured, analytic editorial suggesting an alternative to Obacare and his MOONBAT customers boycott, and this guy, mccay has virtually no impact on public policy

To all the MOONBATS like the auther who have no problem w/Big Brother, aka Barack H Obama appearing in every classroom,
    how would have have liked it if George Bush did the same during his tenure and talked about HIS goals eg, Fighting Terrorists, Lowering Taxes, keeping marriage between a man and a woman?
    You'd all be marching in the streets...

this is not about hatred of a man, his skin color etc. This is about utter disdain for his policies, ideals and most importantly his Orwellian tactics

signed, a proud Wingnut

September 4, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  15. Chip in Lansdale, PA

Hey... I'm an extreme right wing conservative. I'm to the right of Rush 😉 I think President Obama speaking to kids in the classroom is a good thing. It shows the kids that the president cares and is concerned about them and it also allows President Obama to deliver an important message to the young people of our country "BE RESPONSAIBLE FOR YOURSELF!".

It's a shame that President Obama doesn't feel the same way about the over 10 crowd.

September 4, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  16. elaineP

The truth of the matter, how can someone comment on stupidity like this. I served this country for 6 years and right about now, I am ready to move away. Far, far, far away. I think the sad part about this is not the presidents' policy that these idiots hate, " the fact that a black man has the opportunity of being the president of a great nation and they are not able and will not be able to that job gripes the heck out of them. "Many are called but only a few are chosen" I wish the president well in doing his job.

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  17. Sue Wallick

Who is this "Wingnut". My husband and I have just been on a 46 city, 15 state tour, driving from town to town, talking to people everywhere. They were not only willing to talk, they were down right madder than hell at our past and present government. Whatever the topic, the government will either make it fail, or let it die of natural causes, or find some way to sabatage it, i.e. the USPS. There is no hope for the United States of the past.

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  18. Norman Fine

First of all, I'm not certain why John Avlon is writing about this story. He makes his living taking little shots at both parties in order to incite both groups and get people to read his poorly researched and written pieces of fluff. There's no analysis of what actually occurred here-just reference to some of the overzealous members of the Republican Party that have gone overboard in questioning the good taste of materials that were to enhance the President's speech.

While the GOP has its fair share of idiots, I think lumping all conservatives into Avlon's GOP stereotype is even more ignorant.
    Today it seems that if one is conservative in one's philosophy, they are immediately labeled and stereotyped. This problem exists for the most part because of the type of drivel written here. Avlon then compounds the problem by doing the same thing to Democrats. Personally, I see being condescending or insulting to either party as rather offensive. Come see John Avlon stir the pot, but apparently insight and responsible journalism aren't among the ingredients.

What you won't see from the media, and particularly from tabloid journalists like John Avlon, is that the vast majority of us want the same things in life. And while we may differ greatly in how we feel that should be accomplished, most of us have zero interest in the hate and name-calling.

We need the Two-Party system to ensure balance and fairness in our Country. This system certainly does lend itself to vigorous, sometimes heated debate. But I don't suppose reporting politics based on real people and hard facts would sell papers or create headlines, would it?

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  19. Cross

It is ashame how some many people in this room will actually remove your kids from the School for one day and unplug the television... All because an Educated "Mixed Ethnic" President wants to address the Kids of America to stay in school and obey both TEACHERS & Parents (Even the White Parents who are Racist) I feel sorry for those kids....

Jim Greer don't blame the President Blame your 75 and 80 parents who grew up in the late 50's and 60's. They are at fault because you are So Racist and got (BRAIN WASHED). That's called A Generational Curse and now your kids will be exactly how you are today when they grow up to be just like Racist Daddy...

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  20. Retired-Vet

The real 'wingnuts' are the blind followers of President Obama. The color of his skin has nothing to do with asking children what they would do to help HIM. Talk about staying in school, use his self as an example of what you can accomplish and I am all for it. DO NOT ask my children what they can do for HIM. Ask what they can do for their country. I listened as a kid to JFK's speech and went on to serve 22 years in the military. I did as he asked as served my country.

Now I fear the socialist agenda being spewed by the democrats. In 1961 Reagan stated," the quickest way to socialism, is to nationalize medicine."

As Obama said, "Judge him by who advises him". Well I see communist, 9/11 truthers, advocates of the sick should die for the sake of the collective.

Now tell me again why I should not fight against Obamanation?

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  21. Nina Harris

Keep up the good work Fip, your are coming into the light. Leave the Republicans in the dust my friend, they are all coming unhinged. The fact that these "people" are so off the charts certainly stems to their hatred of black people and shear ignorance.. And they are expressing this in various ways ie: townhall screaming. It's like a rat stuck in a corner. We are all just waiting for the GOP to implode. Fox news needs to go, like McCarthy had to be stopped.

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  22. Odamea Oppong

Having the President address school children on Monday should not be seen as a political agenda of sorts by the president. I think it is laudable that a president encourage the children, who by the way are the future, to stay in school and find ways to be patriotic to such a great nation. I personally see nothing wrong with his decision and I think, America being the democratic nation it touts it self of being, should give him a chance to do this

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  23. we live in america

alright, the idea of bailing out failing companies, the idea of national healthcare, these ideas are socialist through and through. welfare is socialist, we cannot expect our economy to support these socialist actions, weve quadrupled the national debt for sakes, we have a serious problem and national healthcare is not going to be a solution its going to be a ridiculous cost to this country. this plan will cause or economy to fail beyond proportions imaginable. and lets think if we control healthcare and set a national standard why would medical tech even be a concern to the country even more, they develope new procedures that your healthcare wont cover so why do it?

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  24. Maryann - Orlando, FL

I couldn't real every comment on this thread, but some folks mentioned that our news media is not really covering NEWS and ISSUES – they are just giving us talking heads who speak in political terms about their agendas.

How about this CNN:

You guys have a 24 HOUR NEWS CYCLE – could you please fill at least SOME of that time with detailed answers about the health care plan?

I mean, really, isn't your function to tell the American People what is really going on in Washington and how it will affect our lives????

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  25. William

Michael Scheuer:

"Only Osama can execute an attack that will force Americans to demand a government protect them effectively".

So I guess what's bad for America is good for republicans as always... No one who loves America should ever vote republican, ever.

September 4, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  26. Sheila Cowan

I try to teach my students to be respectful. The fact that people are saying that we need to screen the words of the President of the United States is soooooooo disrespectful. Of course, these are the same kind of people who screamed and yelled at a woman in a wheelchair who was trying to speak at a town hall meeting about how she was about to lose her home because of medical expenses. These people have no common decency. Why is anyone with half a brain even listening to them? When are the decent members of the GOP going to stop this madness? Is this what you want for your legacy, GOP? When your grandchildren grow up, they are going to see these images and be ashamed.

September 4, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  27. Jason Quest

Obama is still acting like a community organizer instead of an Executive. We are paying him to be President and we are paying the the schools to tech our kids. Why can't he deal with Iran/Korea/Afghanistan and let educators and the Department of Education do it's job?

If he feels the need to cross-over into education then he can tape a presentation and then let SCHOOLS decide if they want to use that as a resource. That's the way it works in America; we don't have "our dear leader" getting live feeds to our kids...

September 4, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  28. Rick

For John,

Just curious, did you "respect the office" when Bush was in?

September 4, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  29. Chris D.

As an American of color, the rhetoric across this country, is sending chills, down my spine.......I feel like I'm witnessing a slither of what my grandmother experienced and witnessed throughout her life, (from the 40's , as a child, until the early 80's). It's just not right, and I feel slightly uncomfortable, not wanted/accepted in this country, and a bit fearful........
    All this president wants to do is change the tone in America. Change the status quo. Show that government can, and should be concerned about the people that give government it's life, and power. So i guess that's socialism, and a nanny state. Well why am I a strong supporter, who works everyday, and is college educated........I want nothing from government. Except for them to create an atmosphere, or structure, in which the least of us who want to be successful, can have a fighting chance, not a hand out, but a hand up. Yes through affordable access to health care so one can be healthy, to get wealthy.......Yes if I fall on my face in chase of the American dream, I appreciate unemployment, or welfare, until I get back on my feet. There's no shame in that. Only those who abuse social programs should be ashamed.
    And yes the President is a role model, and should be able to talk to the children of America.......He's a real example of "from the bottom to the top." how could you not want a self made person talking to your children, about fulfilling their dreams?

September 4, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  30. Jody in St. Louis

The people that are whining about the President's speech don't even know what "socialism" is. Read your freaking dictionary people!

September 4, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  31. Nancy

I think that we pay plenty of tax dollars for our educators to educate our kids. Just let the educators do their job without interruption. Unless, of course it happens to be a political science or government class. Maybe they could learn about the politics this speech will play.

September 4, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  32. Debbie

President, Senator, Teacher, Parent, Neighbor – ANY ONE who would like to talk with my children about the importance of his/her responsibility for personal success in school or life in general is more than welcome to! I appreciate President Obama taking the time to do this – thank you Mr. President!

September 4, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  33. Mike In Carolina

Worriedmom: I wonder if you can define the word "liberal" although I doubt it ! This invitation goes to anyone else who loves to through that label around as though it has a negative meaning. Please don't post analogies, metaphors,etc. PLEASE DEFINE "LIBERAL". Otherwise, stop using a word for which you can't provide a definition just because Shawn Hannity and Rush Limbaugh make it a habit and you are usually just repeating what you hear them say.

September 4, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  34. Lisa in Shelton

I bet Greer is still playing his kids that Barack the magic negro CD Chip sent him last Christmas. How do guys like these get elected in the first place? He could qualify to be committed in a psych ward.

September 4, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  35. Thomas

I've been out of elemetary school for many, many years but can still remember class assignments that included writing letters to the president, congress members, even our mayor – as part of our Civics education and learning public discourse. But of course that was in a different time and an era of a lot less paranoia and loss of respect and decency in this country. It's one thing for the wingnuts in the general public to cry foul – but for elected officials to spout such lies and I might add, their own form of propaganda, should cost them their jobs. The president needs to speak to the children and they should listen, with respect at least for the office. And while not all Republicans are spewing forth such garbage, the ones that are should stop & accept the fact that they lost the election and move forward – to benefit the citizens of this country, not their own personal gain and jobs.

September 4, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  36. Dan

What the hell is going on? I remember writing letters to the president in elementary school, describing how I thought the country could be made into a better place. I didn't even know what political ideology was at the time, it was an assignment and more about me shaping what I felt was important than any one person's agenda. So what is happening with politics and politicians today? And why are average people being sucked into it? It really makes me sad.

September 4, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  37. Tom L

People who continue to say that anyone against President Obama is a racist and "can't handle a black man" being president are the real racists. In all actuality, we are treating him like we would any other person who is president and disagree with. It shows the weakness of your argument to make that ridiculous claim.

Stop it. Grow up. We are treating him like the president. We disagree. It has absoutley nothing to do with the color of his skin.

September 4, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  38. DocBrady

You know, take race-baiting and class warfare from the Democrats/Lefitst, and they exist in a vacuum

September 4, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  39. kris

I wouldn't have a problem with Obama talking to kids about the constitution and the limited role government should play in their lives............

September 4, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  40. JaJa

I'm a lifelong independent voter. I've voted for both parties in the past, focusing on issues and policies, not ideology. I honestly can't take the Republican party seriously any longer. It seems like the intelligent republicans have simply disappeared off the face of the earth. The big money interests aren't going to abandon the GOP. They will always have the support ot corporate executives and the investment class that don't want to pay taxes, but they can't get elected without pandering to the trans-am driving mullet heads. Obama won the election fair and square and he couldn't have done that without millions of whites like myself who thought he was clearly the most qualified candidate. I don't know if the GOP is prejudiced against black people or smart people.

September 4, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  41. Allison

It seems to me that the lesson plan and its prompt asking students to consider how they might help the President is being misunderstood. I suspect President is being used metonynically – that is, the word "President" is being used to represent the USA in that the President is a figure that represents the county. I don't think the President is personally asking for help. Moreover, in that students will have just heard an inspiring speech from that leader, it seems appropriate that they would address him. There's a whole lot of uproar here over nothing. There are lots of things to object to about the President and his policies; this is a pretty stupid one.

September 4, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  42. Segal

My clock radio is set to a conservative AM radio station when I wake up in the morning because that's all that comes in, and wow... these people are some WACKED OUT NUTJOBS. It's unbelievable the insanity that they spew day after day. Both the callers and the hosts scare me... but mainly the callers because the hosts are there to do their schtick. Down with wingnuts.

September 4, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  43. Ken

Wasn't CNN one of the organizations refusing to present an opposing ad to health care legislation? Government is spending hundreds of millions to advertise and then big news media refuses to display ads that may affect their revenue.

Anyway, I don't care what Obama and the socialists want to do to help others, but where I give my money is my own decision. The day they start taking 60-70% of our taxes, there is going to be revolution and I know what side I will be on.

September 4, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  44. jmikey62

Some people here refer to polls that say anywhere from 73-77% support a public option; however, if you look at some of those same polls it is pretty clear most of the respondents did not understand what they were saying. The New York Times/CBS poll as that question and 72% responded that they wanted a public option, but later in the poll it ask "Are you concerned that access to care will be limited if the government get involved in health care" and 68% responded that they did think their care would be worst or that they were concerned about the care they will received if the government gets involved. Most of the polls want a government option and they make sure they ask the question to slant the answers in that direction. If we have a government option most companies are going to drop their employee coverage since the government will have a plan to cover everyone. Why change the entire system when you only have about 10% who do not have insurance and can not afford to have insurance. 85% of America has insurance coverage and a great majority like their coverage. I agree that the 10% who can not afford insurance need to be helped but do not pentalize the 85% that are happy with their coverage. The whole system will change for the worst if the government gets involved and the cost will skyrocket to many trillions of dollars. Just wait and see.

September 4, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  45. Boo Radley

The authors intentionally divisive choice of the word wingnut removes all credibility from this piece. Of course, it is not like CNN had any credibility to begin with anyway.

September 4, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  46. GKohler

Very well said Cynthia W. Right on the mark!

September 4, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  47. inofritzn

WTF is with the "how can I help the pres BS? Why not HOW CAN I HELP THE COUNTRY?????

September 4, 2009 at 11:40 am |