American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 29th, 2009

Secret Service probes Facebook poll on Obama

(CNN) - The social networking site Facebook on Monday pulled a third-party application that allows users to create polls after a site member built a poll asking if President Obama should be killed.

There are more than 350,000 applications on Facebook. The company says it disables any that violate its terms.

The U.S. Secret Service, the agency assigned to protect the president, has launched an investigation, agency spokesman James Mackin said.

"As is usually the case, our vigilant users reported it to us first," Facebook spokesman Barry Schnitt told CNN. "The USSS [Secret Service] sent us an e-mail late this morning PDT asking us to take it down. At that point, it had already been removed, and we let them know."

Schnitt said the application "was immediately suspended while the inappropriate content could be removed by the developer and until such time as the developer institutes better procedures to monitor their user-generated content."

Read the full story »

Filed under: Controversy • Technology
  1. Valerie Spencer

God will not help me or guide me only education will help and guide me that I will agree upon. All this god stuff makes me think of Ahmadinejhad and Khadafi and I stay far away from religous rhetoric also. The religious hands are bloody as well perhaps the bloodiest.

September 30, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  2. Roya Parsay

I think the Republicans need to get together and stop these acts against the president or disrespect of the president. Afterall he is elected by majarity of people and disrespecting him is disrespecting the people of AMerica and the system of democracy. And if you are against America and its system you better be investigated about...Thank you President Obama for all you do for us as the President of the United States of AMerica.

September 29, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  3. Jana A Floyd Palumbo

Folks, read "The Sibling Society" by Robert Bly. I am disgusted by the hate rhetoric. I am disgusted by racisim, and yes, it still exists. I live in GA. Racists exists in ALL races. The Atlanta Metro Area is the worst place I have ever lived in the country for racist attitudes. Believe me when I say, it's ALL colors, and it's ALL religions and it's IGNORANCE to the first degree.

Shame on you America. Shame on you, and good for you Secret Service, now arrest the bullies in the Pulpits Stateside. Let the Military handle the rest.

Jana A Floyd Palumbo, Veteran, American Legion Member, Obama Voter and PROUD of my choice. I am not a Socialist and neither is The President. Get a CLUE America, I'm ashamed of you right now.

September 29, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  4. AL Joseph

Mrs. V Spencer, God will help and guide you if everyone in the world were like you , we would live in a better world. Skin color doen't make anyone bad, instead according family education that you receive or the environment where you grow up make a big different in poeple's life. people of every race make good and bad decision, what we all need to do is working toward a better world and better education for all. Negativity will not change the world, being racism will not change the world instead make it worst. We need to remember that we all will be judge by the one who is above of all human being.

September 29, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  5. Sophia

I do believe racism is alive and well in the United States but will hopefully diminish as the older generation, right wing fanatical Christians stop preaching their ignorance to their offspring. I am not black, nor am I white...but as a female, even I have encountered issues just because of my mutlicultural background AND gender. I do believe that white men have always had a superiority complex and have tried to keep everyone else under their thumb. They are starting to feel threatened because other races (and females) have become educated and quite established in the U.S. and can now afford to drive BMW's and Mercedes. I never felt this way until I left the big cities of New York and Chicago and lived and traveled deep into the "sticks" of Central and Southern Illinois which, by the way, had "Sun Down" towns – towns which had lynching of African Americans in our not so distant past. In any event, I truly felt like I was being watched in these small and remote towns, just because I looked different. I also heard some nonsense such as, "This country was only meant for WASP's!! " What?!! Should only PILGRIMS live in the United States?!! The uneducated don't realize that they, too, are multicultural!!!!! This land was God-given, but was not intended for one skin color alone. Perhaps racism will never be erased but we have to remember that ALL "men" are created equal and we ALL bleed the same way. I can only hope that during a military raid overseas, a white man would come to the aid of his bleeding African American comrade. To sum, there is no question that racism still exists, but now is the time to educate the masses. I do believe that Barack Obama is trying his hardest to educate and help more people (not just African Americans) and to protect this potentially great nation... the land of the free.

September 29, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  6. dave

The posting is no surprise to me and it has nothing to do with race.

I watched John Roberts interview the two guests (all three Obama supporters) and I may have missed it but I do not recall any of the three mention the film about the assasination of George Bush. And, I am sure that someone from the news media will shortly say that the posting was done by a right wing activist (whether it is true or not).

The reason I am not surprised is becasue of the pass given to all the reprobates who made all those discusting comments about President Bush. You would expect these types of comments to come from societies fringe but in this case they were from "so called" pillars of the community.

So, why would you be surprised when this happens to Obama?

I believe the pharse is "turnabout is fair play"!

September 29, 2009 at 10:22 am |
  7. Roxanne

Racism is alive and well. We have transtioned from the idealistic, pollyana discussion about racial unity when the President was elected... to racism against Obama a half-year later. I knew it would happen: President Obama may have been elected into office by a majority vote, but there is no question that he was always going to be held to a higher standard by those who perceive they were "giving" him the chance he EARNED ... and by others who are virulent against the idea of his Presidency. Black leadership has a history of being suspect and questioned: From the Civil War when the first all-Black batallion fought, to whether or not Blacks "had the intelligence" to play quarterback to corporate America. The fact that a climate of economic hardship exists as a platform, combined with the President Obama's effort to introduce new policies that create change - and change is always difficult and met with resistance - only adds fuel to the fires that burn deep. The Facebook poll is simply a sad microcosm of today's America. We've come a long way, but not far enough. Post-racial America has sadly not yet arrived.

September 29, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  8. sara

I can't ever recall any other President even receiving an increment "REPORT CARD" in my 58 years.

September 29, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  9. AL Joseph

The question I would like to ask, is anyone who disrespects the president of the United States in plaine public deserve to be a cenator or in any house post? even if the president was a republicain or democrat the president of the great country such United States of America shoud be respected by all. I am a democrat, but I had so much respect for president Bush. What I liked most about president Bush was that he was someone when he said yes about somthing he meant it. Our skin cannot change us makes us better or worst, but when we get together as one nation who is fighting for the same cause, we will be stronger and be respected in the world. What we all need to know is that the whole world is following us.

September 29, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  10. sara

What do you think the phrase...."MAD AS HELL" means. Besides what in the world has the president done to "freak" up the entire Country in only 9 months? It's Not logic and has no validity. The racist is calling for "impeachment, a criminal trial. Lets get REAL.

September 29, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  11. sara

"Silver tongue saleman"...... wasn't that the Last Administration? Yet, I don't recall but one idiot injecting race during the Bush administration......Kanye West. Yet Black America knows what they know...... and it's NOT new to US...........we live with it every day .......we refuse to play the RACE card.................but enough is enough!

September 29, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  12. Carlo

To claim that Obama is a socialist is to admit to a level of political ignorance that is mind boggling. Americans are so profoundly illiterate it is hard to know where to begin. Your obsession with low taxes, privatization and minimal government is actually a formula for less democracy not more and for a farcical notion of freedom as the right to be impoverished by illness, sleep under bridges and promote hatred with violence.
    As for the poll, what level of egregious disregard for human rights and dignity would have possessed someone to have posted such garbage? Don't you realize that a whole generation of Americans died fighting fascism? Apparently not! America is without doubt the most militarily powerful nation on earth with the most primitive population. You are increasingly the laughing stock of the western world, and at the same time the most feared and dangerous. Wake up!

September 29, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  13. Hector B

We have in this country an underlying hatred and fear of people of color by those who feel that they are losing control of this country and its cultural roots derived since the American Revolution and upto the early 1960's. The fear of losing this control lies at the heart of this hatred. It is reflected through the camulflage that hides the fustration demonstrated in the town meetings, the Republican Party's refusal to compromise in a bipartisan way, demonstrations of mostly white Americans dis- respecting our President, and irresponsible radio and TV pundits who further incite this fear and fustration which leads to crazy individuals who come up with dangerous ideas such as this assasination poll and carrying weapons in public gatherings.

September 29, 2009 at 9:46 am |
  14. Carole

I am so grateful for our Secret Service.

We have Joe Wilson yelling disrespectfully to the President of the United States of America in chambers 'You Lie (boy is what he meant.); Rush wanting our president to fail; Beck saying the president is a racist while having a book with himself dressed as a Nazi on the cover; illiterate overweight racists at town halls who won't have the guts to just call him Ni__er and be up front.

Do you think there is racism?

September 29, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  15. notamused

So let me get this straight, it is racists to post a poll asking if Obama should be killed but there is nothing wrong with creating a movie creating a hypothetical scenario of assassinating President Bush?? Any reason to yell the word racism i guess.

September 29, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  16. sara

"BOOING" is not calling the President a LIAR.

September 29, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  17. Vic

Lord Bless our President. That poll was sickening.

September 29, 2009 at 9:39 am |
  18. sara

mfrench.......when has any other President in History received as many death threats as this President.?..... When has a President ever been questioned about his Birth Place? When has a previous President been portrayed as "HITLER", an African tribe witch doctor? A Monkey, a "blackfaced Clown"? No one can call him DUMB, or can even question his "BRAIN"..........we can all agree he's educated and smart......didn't just go to school and received enough credits to graduate because of his name.......He worked for everything he has become. He Is Educated.......... He isn't Lazy.......so the only thing that can be said about him personally is his Race.......Let it be clear that You and anyone else can disagree with his policies, BUT WHAT IN THE HECK DOES HIS RACE HAS TO DO WITH ANYTHING. To want to KILL the President of the U.S. based on his policies are not valid. This is NOT what Our country is about.......maybe for the few that remains ignorant over a life time. But it doesnt' take but one of the "few" that's remaining.

September 29, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  19. PENNY K

Sorry, Pushed button before I meant to; I wasn't through.

I don't hear any GOP speaking out against this kind of stuff.
    I think they need to be trounced in any coming election.

Let's get organized against this nastiness. I am not for putting up with this nonsense. This is close to sedition, treason, incitement, and some of the garbage is slander. These people need to be taken to task.

September 29, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  20. Dianne

Bush was ridiculed yes, but did anyone poll about killing him? it is alright Iread to voice disaproval of the president. However, house rules say you cannot say "You Lie". I am sure that congressman knew the rule. Booing is one thing, it is not calling the president a lie. Booing says "I donot agree:.

September 29, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  21. PENNY K

It was on from Saturday until yesterday, so it wasn't taken down immediately.

I voted no, and got results which CNN couldn't seem to track down.
    Sins of omission are sins all the same. 95 PERCENT NO..

September 29, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  22. Ruth

I am tired of racism being blamed for any situation were one does not agree with our President or Congress. Americans are at a crossroad on many levels. I do not agree with the remark but I do not feel that racism is fueling the fire in this country. I have heard remarks on every president back to Carter. I have heard of people going as far as saying they would like to get their hands on them. Like the remarks or not we all have a first amendment right to say what we want. If all of the reforms in Congress were disclosed and not pieces of what officials want us to see it would help. Too many of us elected our President for change. The change we are seeing is not we we bargained for. From health care to aiding illegal aliens american taxpayers are tired of the hype and are looking for the real change. Who is going to bail out the real taxer and not keep snowing them under?? Racism No Change Where

September 29, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  23. sara

CNN as well as other "mainstream" news are guilty of NOT telling Americans the TRUTH........that the GOP has nothing but the RACE card to play.........look at Steele being used to "ramp" up the RACE card on a governors race...(can't be race, because he's black> I said USED) .STEELE sounds like Glen BECK. Listen to Bachman and Wilson....."take our country back", You Lie! These words are based and rooted in Racism.......Black people are labled by racist as liars and lazy........ President Obama's agenda is viewed by these racist as helping "blacks", that's what "socialism" means.....to the Racist...Blacks are labled as uneducated, poor and on welfare. Healthcare Reform is being called "welfare". The Racist irrational thought patterns does not allow them to see the facts..... they are blinded by Racism. Last time I checked, there are as many poor whites receiving Welfare than there are poor blacks.......but this "LABEL" were systematically "set" up by the southern Racist. Without proper education or a world view, the uneducated, angry, and ignorant has been suckered into believing that Blacks are different from them...It has been repeated enough, that the "victims " of the poor American education system, has Believed it all these many years later. They don't even know that they are being EXPLOITED by been Kept Ignorant.....They don't even know that they need dental and medical care as all Americans... The Republican party FEEDS off Ignorance and Ignorance is rooted in Racism as well as FEAR. These kinds of people are their "Bottom-FEEDERS"......while elected Republicans "hide" their hands. CNN needs to get honest!

September 29, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  24. LL Bryant Sr

Of those who did not vote for President Obama, many of course are not bigots. Others have long years of bigotry associated with handed down beliefs of great-grandparents, as well as grandparents, parents, friends, and organizations of which they are loyal. Then, there are the extremists. Many of these, in disagreement with American ideals are disturbed, mixed up individuals, who hold onto erroneous truths about Black people, long since proven wrong; they simply refuse to accept the truth and other Americans unlike themselves. The achievements of those of the Black Race are wide from centuries back to the present; from inventors, scientists, entertainers and sports figures known so well, to the Mayors and Governors, to the Office of the President of the United States. Groups simply refuse to accept others, to include women and Hispanics.

September 29, 2009 at 9:20 am |
  25. bobby

There are many racists factions who are hiding behind this idea of socialism and that the goal of the administration is to transform the country from capitalism to socialism. Many right wing factions are using these hate groups drown out any positive steps taken by the Obama administration to decrease the economic burdens of lower and middle class people. No one wants to end capitalism. Extreme capitalism has created ultra rich Wall Street bloodsuckers who continue to raise health care rates to the point that half of our pay goes towards health insurance etc. which is incxecusable. The other half of Wall Street crashed the world with predatory lending and adjustable home mortgages. The past administration accelerated these practices through deregulation of the market. Bush also started a war in Iraq based on lies that killed thousands of Americans .But no one EVER created a poll or suggested killing him. Definitely racist overtones are playing a major role.The only time that there was such hatred towards a president was back in the JFK years when he was pushing civil rights for african americans. Every town hall meeting has come to racially charged fighting. The new litmus test on whether your fellow American has racial hatred in your heart is asking how you feel about your President. The evidence is hidden in the answers. The President is not perfect but he surely is not eroding America or transforming it into a Socicaist nation. The next thing that the right will be saying is that Obama is trying to wipe out one group of people. Give me a break!

September 29, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  26. J.R.Udvadia

What has Pres. Obama done that arouses assassin-like tendencies in the opposition? G.W.Bush left the country in a mess economically, and militarily, and with reduced respect amongst the nations of the world. Pres. Obama has started the recovery from the brink of economic disaster, is diminsihing our involvement in Iraq, concentrating troops in Afghanistan where they should have been in the first place, and has been applauded in the UN. In 8 months he has been more a President than his predecessor was in 8 years.

How can right-thinking Americans tolerate these hate mongers who shamelessly call the President a liar in public (unprecedented), and worse, who are not ashamed to publicly call for a vote on the assassination of a President who has been elected with such a convincing majority.

September 29, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  27. Barry L. Lewis

Thank you for having Professor Boyce Watkins on to talk about racism. It was refreshing to finally hear someone clarify what racism really is. Many of us who are white do not understand that racism is like a disease, and only those who are in a position of power and privilege can be racist. I have often heard people refer to African-Americans as being racist or who use the phrase, "reverse racism." Since Blacks in this country do not have power and privilege, they cannot be racists. Professor Watkins understands the meaning of the word and he is correct in saying that the presidency of Barack Obama puts us in the position to have a serious discussion on this topic.

September 29, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  28. Amber Vires

I agree with alot of you concerning how extreme and how this could be due to the extreme hurt the country is experiencing. I am in the South trying to raise a family and obtain a teaching degree. I did not vote for Obama due to my moral convictions. However, I am cautious, due to his "liberalness" yet optimistic and proud because an African-American was elected to the United States presidency. Whether we agree or not, I believe the Bible speaks of praying for our president (not threatening his life). I strongly believe we can ban together (by aggravating our representives) to block legislation we disagree with and utilize Peaceful Protests. Violence against one man and the devastating ripple it would have on his family (which loves him same as the other families love each other in our blessed country) and the stripping away of this from all African-Americans is without a doubt not the answer.

September 29, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  29. MFrench

The poll is entirely inappropriate. However, race has nothing to do with it. It's disgusting to see a Professor, from my home town of Syracuse, try and make everything about race. Of course he's going to say that, HIS CAREER DEPENDS ON IT!

Did anyone stop and think maybe Joe Wilson called Mr. Obama a liar b/c shockingly that's exactly what he was doing?

I'd take every word out of Barry's mouth with a big chunk of salt, not because he's black, but b/c he's a silver tongued salesman of the worst kind.

Everyone is talking about how Mr. Obama is being disrespected because he's black. Does no one remember the public ridicule over his brains that Bush received because he was not a great public speaker?

Racism will only become a non-issue in this country when it becomes acceptable to question a black president equally as that of a white president.

Please as a media outlet. Stop perpetuating racism, that cuts both ways.

September 29, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  30. Jake

The President is half white. In my opinion it is his policies and questionable background of the people he appoints and associates himself with. If he is such a great leader why not provide a copy of his birth certificate?? I do not trust the man and don't care if he is black or white. He is leading our Country in the wrong direction on many fronts. People with any common sense would not wish death on anyone. The man is a husband and father. The President is in a position to improve Race relations in this Country it would help if he reflected the morales and principals this country was founded on.

September 29, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  31. Rick

You're going to have racism as long as people are still alive on this earth. Did you see where that Wingnut in SC offering guns to vote for him?

September 29, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  32. Bill Miller

The sad thing I have noticed is that a lot of this seems to be based out of the Evangelical and Christian (mostly Baptist) communities. I have noticed from the begining that a lot of the misinformation polls about healthcare, as well as a lot of the other statements on facebook and other socail sights are overwhelmingly coming from the people that I know who I dentify themselves as Evagelical or Fundamental Christians.

September 29, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  33. Dianne

Mike, white men have always had the freedom to do and become what he wish to do. There were not any laws, or prejudice to stop him. He created rules to keep miniorites and women from fulfilling their dream. You cannot wave a magic wand and make hundreds of years in the pasr right for today.You cannot have equality when the schools are not equal to teach American childre. As long as prejudice is here, we cannot assume that the best person gets the job if one is a minioriy or female. Just look at the disrespect that this President gets. Look at someone posting a poll to kill our President. In the real world equal opportunity does not exist even when you hold the highest job in America.

September 29, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  34. Valerie Spencer

President Carter was correct however, it is not politically correct because the opposite reaction is to say you're pulling out the race card instead of talking about the issues. Sad thing is I don't know if the people of this country really understand how serious this matter is amongst us. First, let me say I am not a woman of the world but I can tell you my experiences with racism in Virginia. I have been surrounded by it from my own family and co-workers and supervisors throughout my life. I fight them every chance I get on this issue. I had a supervisor that told me she went to bike rally's and I asked what do you do there and she responded "we find little nigger babies and tie them to the back of the choppers and drag them around until they die" My own family treats me less than because of the fact my daughter dates and will eventually marry a black man. I love him he is the greatest person my daughter could've ever found. I have taught my children that prejudiceness is not a trait we will embrace EVER! and we have paid the price for not being prejudice. My own family have used the N word and have no respect for black people which I constantly argue with them about and they hate me for it. I have seen it in white churches also they are some of the biggest haters of the blacks. Why are churches not integrated? if so not many. I could go on with the stories that make your head spin but I don't have enough time or room to write it. If I could've taped some of my conversations with local people in the town where I grew up you would be appalled but you would also be suprised of the overall scope of this way of thinking.

September 29, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  35. Melvin

OMG, I just read all of the 14 posting....People there a Huge problem with race, and class in America and the World....Let just be real

September 29, 2009 at 9:02 am |
  36. Dale Osteen

re: Joe Wilson, you always forget the loud BOOO that President Bush got during his State of the Union speech several years ago from Democrats. Liberals have very selective memory.

Secondly, America has never had as liberal, even socialistic a president as Obama. He would get the same opposition to his programs if he was PINK...Carter has never gotten anything right, and as usual, since liberals cannot compete in the battle of ideas, they must attack the person who has those ideas by calling them racist. And CNN just shows how much it is out of touch with Americans, and in the can for Obama, instead of being a real news organization, by repeating such stupid attacks.

I watched your 100 days report card...did anyone notice that the liberal commentators gave Obama higher grades, by at least 2 letters, than America did on almost every question? That ought to tell you that you have no clue what Americans really think, and that you are letting your own political views warp your reporting and bring shame to journalism.

September 29, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  37. sara

The American news media's job is to give us fair and unbiased information.........that is NOT happening. Americans are having a hard time in this recession, but we are NOT angry. I resent the Republican Party for calling us angry........ These Liars knows exactly where this is coming from because they are "exploiting" it. RACE. Why is it that death threats against the U.S. president is up in more than 40 years.....why is it that RACE is projected on to this President.....and the mainstream news media should start doing it's job of calling out the Elected congressmen and representatives WHO are fueling Racism in our country...........Bachman, Wilson etc. as well as a FCC regulated Fox Channel. This is a "Green Light" to disrespect our President that is fueled by Racism and Anti-Americanism, based on race and Ignorance. oh....Ignorance is what causes racism. God forbid if any of their followers attempt to harm President Obama........real Americans are not "flies" on a wall.

September 29, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  38. Moe

Once again the very ugliness that has this country in the shape it's in now. All of the hatred, anger, greed, and corruption has come to a head and this time it will not be ignored. And we wonder why we get no respect from the international community. The truth of whats in the heart of this country, has outgrown the false face we wear on democracy.

September 29, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  39. Sheree

I agree. I feel all of the hate sentiment generated and fueled by media persona such as Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Riley, Glen Beck, and Roger Ailles of Fox news. Even the Christian radio stations have become political. The Republican Pary is not taking a stand against all this hate promotion. Our country is taking a step backwards.Just breaks my heart.

September 29, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  40. Dan Schaffrin

This is so insane that it almost does not deserve a comment, however this is also where I think we should draw a line in the sand when it comes to "free speech". As a white American I am appalled and ashamed that this is allowed in our country. I think this should be followed up by the CIA and FBI as it is a threat against our President. What would have happened if this was a threat at then President Reagan? Someone would be in Prison!

September 29, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  41. A Canadian Perspective

Re.. "A Canadian Perspective".... I neglected to sign in...

Barbara from Ontario Canada.

September 29, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  42. Maria

Please let Mr Obama do his job, Respect him, because HE IS OUR LEADER, HE WANTS THE BEST FOR AMERICAN PEOPLE..
    I AM VERY ASHEMED THAT IS SUCH POLL .............

GOD BLESS OUR PRESIDENT

September 29, 2009 at 8:53 am |
  43. Mike Bonn

It's sad that racism exists, but it should not be unexpected. Decades of racial preference and quotas such as affirmitive action have denied opportunities to non-minorities who now resent their missed opportunities. Reverse discrimination was not and is not the answer. Only equal opportunity, advancement based on merit, can create a color blind society.

September 29, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  44. Elaina

Too much attention has been given to extremists and this is the result. People now feel that it is ok to disrespect and threaten our President. This is unacceptable. Most Americans support the President. Our voices need to be heard too.

We should all remember: "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

September 29, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  45. Rick

President carter's statement was dead on and has been in America’s undercurrent for decades. Now that America has her first African-American President, a spotlight has been shined on it for all to see.

September 29, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  46. A Canadian Perspective

Yes, indieed, President Carter, bless him, was absolutely correct.

I know this, personally from a conversation overheard on the CB while my husband and I were headed to Florida last February. It was right after then candidate Obama had won the Ohio primary (or caucus, whichever). The chilling note from one trucker was "we'll kill this n.....r too". This was followed by a chorus of l0-4's. This was well before your President's health care initiative, bail-outs, stimulus,etc.

I lived in the U.S. years ago...and still remember the horrors of the assassination of President Kennedy. While President Kennedy was white, he was on the vanguard of racial change.

The vitriol shown in this last year, and particularly last few months, has pointed out that the Civil Rights Movement has not yet fully taken hold. BTW, I am a white female in my 70's.

September 29, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  47. Alex Smith

In a nation that has progressed so much we have still not progressed enough. It is amazing that we can focus on a war abroad but still be blind to the racial war on our own soil. When will we learn that our war is not American vs. American but with those that wish to harm our nation?

September 29, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  48. Marcus benjamin

The ? should be can you be killed. This young black man is doing everything in his will an power to save you with the jokes an bringing our troops back home. I think whoever made the smart comment should be punished so lets send him or her to iraq an see will they make it back is that a poll we can start.

September 29, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  49. Peta

I think the issues that we still have over race is pathetic. We see it from politicians, teachers the guy who serve you coffee in the deli. I believe people who are racists and who accept racism are cowards. When is it ok the threaten or interrupt our President or call him a Nazi. If he is a Nazi what do we call the many Neo-Nazi racists groups that exist in this country?

September 29, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  50. Malcom

President George W. Bush had movies, plays and novels written fantasizing about his assassination. Columnist Charlie Brooker asked for a modern day Lee Harvey or John Wilkes Booth when talking about Bush. People in protests held signs with guns to Bush's head, demanding Bush be executed for war crimes. Bush was depicted as a moron, a monkey, Hitler and a traitor ad nauseum.

NOW, though, the level of hostility shown toward President Obama is supposedly so unprecedented vicious that it MUST be racial in its core?

Please...

September 29, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  51. Carl

This stupid comment on facebook about (should the President be killed) is as stupid as it gets in america. We have people in america who are racist republicans and they want to get rid of the President one way or another. I hope the secret service gives him the best protection he can get from these far right activist people. It's truly disgusting in a supposedly great country to have such animonisity towards the President of the United States. We now have a democratic President who really wants to help the average people in this country and to get this country back on the right track again. Everyone including republicans, should respect this President and support him while he is doing his best for our country.

September 29, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  52. Tim

this poll is disgusting. the people who talk this way about our president should be made an example of the government. jail time. Respect is the bottom line ans some white people dont have it for our president strictly because hes black and that ignorant.and this is where all the pushback about healthcare reform comes from. teaparty express huh, racist disrespectful american express!

September 29, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  53. gloria

America, what are we doing? We are so much better than this. We must stop this madness. One person at a time. Please do not sit silently when your hear this nonesense. We ourselves are the answer.

September 29, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  54. Courtney

I don't agree that this was racially motivated. There may be some racism somewhere in there, but I think it's more of a scapegoat. Yes there are people who are struggling with President Obama's race. But there are FAR more people who are struggling with his policies. We haven't had such a dramatic shift in policy in quite some time. I'm sure there were equally dramatic shifts in the past, but nothing within the memory of the Facebook generation (such as myself). I myself am unsure what to make of our President's ideas. Sure we talk about these things in college, but it's sort of like getting a tattoo: sounds great when you talk about it with your buddies but when you pull into the parlor parking lot, it's suddenly not such a great idea. It's not that President Obama's policies are necessarily a bad idea, we just don't know how to handle them when they become more than fancy words in a speech or a book.

With the recession, the war and everything else that has gone on lately people are distrusting, skeptical, hurting. Racism is an easy scapegoat; we've been dealing with this for several generations. The problem of racism may not be solved but it's an easy out. It's comfortable, in a way, for us to blame our differences on race. Race is a visible distinction, one easily drawn.

Instead of pointing at racism as the root of all of our problems, let's try & look past race and find the true root of our issues because I believe they lie far deeper than skin-level.

September 29, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  55. Thomas Guerriero

This poll is obviously from a frightened right wing wacko. Frightened of change, angry because he lost. We the majority elected, fairly and squarely the first black President of the United States.
    The disrespect toward the man and his office is disgusting and upsetting.
    It's time for those of us who voted for President Barack Hussein Obama to make our voices heard, this is not the time for reticence or this blatant disrespect will just escalate.
    I really feel all this noise is the product of a group of sore losers, sore heads!

September 29, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  56. earl king

This is very typical of the media which I believe creates more division and hostility in America. You leave out in your discussion an actual movie which depicted George Bush being assassinated. So its racial when a black man is targeted but its only politics for a white man.
    How about its just nut jobs.... neither political nor racial. All nut jobs should be roundly condemned by both sides......sadly that doesn't happen

September 29, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  57. Steven

And republican/conservative leaders continue to deny, deny, deny, that race is major factor in their campaign to "take back America". Bigotry is alive and well and being promoted by the right. Disgusting as it is, they use it because they have no ideas for Americas recovery. It was, and is their sick vision of society that has placed us in such an awful position economically and politically in the world today.

September 29, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  58. Joe

I hear tons of people every day say something along the lines of wishing Airforce 1 would go down with Obama, Biden and Pelosi on it all at the same time. I've heard similar comments from NUMEROUS people. The country is tired of lies to be elected and increasingly tired of Obama pushing us further and further into a socialist society where illegal immigrants are treated better than citizens and the threat of a "nanny state" is no longer a threat but a reality. I am ashamed of having him as my President and it has nothing to do with race; it has to do with character and ideology. I don't care if you're blue or purple as long as you lead the country WHERE THE COUNTRY wishes to go and not where WASHINGTON wants it to go. There is a severe disconnect. It's a scary future if we keep our current direction.

September 29, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  59. pattyboo

I agree with you Dianne. I didn't want to believe this but its true.
    We need to start looking at the person and not the color of their skin.

Please America !!!!!!! This is terrible

September 29, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  60. Dawnelle Robinson

Wow! As much as I disagreed with GW Bush's policies, not once would I have ever thought about polling people to kill him. How so-called unchristian is that for the bible toting believers? Or is it christian like being that christianity in america was used to oppress africans in the slave trade, then Jim Crow.

September 29, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  61. Ken

CNN's segment this morning on the poll was very good.
    I agree that racism still lives in the US.
    Huge progress, yes. Huge way to still go, yes.

September 29, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  62. One Pissed off Canadian

How you say this isnt about race? even if it really isnt, you dont even know who did it so how do you know?

September 29, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  63. Ranetta

I agree, President Carter is correct. This is about race. So many are working in secret to work against our President. This is what happens when you help the less fortunate and they call themselves christians. Many countries think we are a joke because of conduct of adults and our children are watching this behavior. SHAME ON YOU!

September 29, 2009 at 8:34 am |
  64. Dianne

Seems like former President Carter's statement was correct. When has anyone seen such a so called poll to take a white President's life?

September 29, 2009 at 7:42 am |