American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 30th, 2009

Watching You 24/7: Are you on the list?

The debate over privacy vs. security has been heating up ever since the government intensified its watch for terrorists operating within our borders.

The case of one man, who took a picture of a governor and ended up in jail, is shining a light on another secret way the government may be keeping an eye on you.

CNN's Gerri Willis reports for our special series "Watching You 24/7."

Filed under: Watching You 24/7
  1. preston lytle

I am a gulf war dissable VET with brain damage and five plates in my neck causing me to work hard and relearn the basics of day to day function. I love my country deeply to include my President and Government.Now ,I might not agree with all they say and do but I still today would put myself in harmes way fo my USA,President ,Family and Government because it is the best there is.These people in all these positions from the police, to the secrete operations, to the President are very edjucated,wise ,seasoned people and groups.Sure some apples taint the purpose and that purpose wich is to remaine a global power,continue to adapt to the world changes,to eb and flow with the American growth,focusing on education ,youth programs to stop the violence and home land security.The list is too long and we all hear it too often but things we don't understand scare us sometimes and we need to relize the experts involved want what we want and sacrifice and comprimise are part of the fix the world is ingaged in.Remember what a great and unique place we live in.It is built on what America is all about.
    We are in a time as in the 40s with the second WW.We as a people need to understand our country has been infiltraraded and security is always evolving to keep our country safe at all means required.The point of not having access to much information on what is being done to keep us safe is a toll in it's self.We understand some of war but most dont know much at all.We as a people can't handle the truth it is too big.
    Make a difference,get involved at your city, town,state,or a private interprize. Get edjucated before you put any negative energy into a voice. You will find your opinions are probaly fear driven not well thought out.
    We have enough going on whitout more problems or resistance.We have too many Americans putting their families on hold to make the world a better place for us all.Unite and support the best country,America,our neighbores,our families,and most of all the soldiers,and have a little more faith in what our US stands for.

October 1, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  2. John

So i started a political blog yesterday because Ive always wanted to and i have some free time now. Then i saw this on the news and im thinking. OMG i have to be afraid of expressing my views for fear of ending on some list as some kind of extremist. Im all for keeping the country safe but at what cost? if i want to rant about some politician online because he did something i don't agree with then i should be able to. If only the Four fathers were around to see this. what a shame.

September 30, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  3. We The People...

So wait, Bill,

Its OK for the government to spy on private citizens, peacefully meeting their constitutional responsibility to participate in our democratic system....

but its not OK for the government to carry out a census as mandated by the Constitution, so that we can correctly determine how many representatives go to each state.

Either your post was made in jest, or you've managed to do some very impressive mental gymnastics.

September 30, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  4. Jerilyn Lessley

I've always told my friends that men in suits were probably watching and listening to me. They laugh, but it was only partly in jest. Not that I'm worth watching, but I've been very vocal about where we were going Since the early 90's. I'm a firm believer in the saying 'if you give up a little freedom for security you lose both'.

September 30, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  5. Greg in Arkansas

Does this mean that if I decided to start a web site that was devoted to say, "electing common people to congress only", I should worry about my political activities would be monitored? Horse feathers {or insert favorite expletive}. Let's face it, something like that would be a threat to the status quo of our current gov. system. No, I am NOT a conspiracy nut. Who's to say they already do not "monitor" this. If you were gonna "mine" the web for possible "bad guys", what better place than this to find perceived so called "radicals". People rant and rave on these comment posts all the time. Some probably quite "mad" individuals.
    We are giving away freedoms in this country right and left, i.e. the patriot act. Unfortunately, these "fusion centers" will probably be credited with stopping some attack on our country of which I do NOT want one to happen BTW, and like all other human run things, excess will surely happen. All of course in the name of "national security". Just ask yourself one question: why do policemen have locks on their lockers? nuff said on that!! It truly makes me sick to my stomach to think of all the excesses that could arise from these centers.
    It has been my life experience to have things happen to me that changed how I perceive "the powers that be". Wait until you are put in jail for something you did NOT do and have the "system" fail you. Especially if you are not rich. I did, and it is truly a nightmare.
    I do not think ALL gov officials are bad tho. Some work hard and are very frustrated trying to break the status quo of BS.
    I feel for anyone who, in the future, gets caught up in this obviously good idea gone astray. The case you cited in the story will certainly NOT be the last. Is this the price the American people should pay for our security? I say no!!

September 30, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  6. Steven

Oh my god, you mean the government is watching me? like, even right now???? It can't be!!!!!!! Thank you CNN for reporting this but, come on, really....... this isn't news, it is the way things are done in this country and always has been, what ever the technology of the day is. There is not one officer or member of any of our law enforcement or intelligence agencies that believes that the bill of rights applies to what they do and they willingly violate it every moment of every day. About the only time the bill of rights is trotted out is defend nut jobs who carry guns to town hall meetings and scream racial slurs at our president.

September 30, 2009 at 10:33 am |
  7. Bill

Again, I have to ask with all the information the govt. is able to access why do we continue to waste billions on the outdated census bureau?

September 30, 2009 at 10:20 am |