American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
October 9th, 2009

Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

(CNN) - President Obama was awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday.

Less than nine months into his presidency, Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The first African-American to win the White House, Obama was praised by the Norwegian Nobel Committee for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said. "His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

The committee also said Obama has "created a new climate in international politics."

The announcement came as a surprise - Obama's name had not been mentioned among front-runners - and the roomful of reporters in Oslo, Norway, gasped when he was named.

In his short time in office, Obama has acted on a wide range of issues from the economy to terrorism and wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Obama also lobbied unsuccessfully to bring the 2016 Olympics to Chicago, Illinois. After returning from Denmark, Obama expressed no regret about his trip, saying it is "always a worthwhile endeavor to promote and boost the United States."

Read the full story »

Filed under: Politics
  1. Stephanie, KY

The reaction of some – being shocked, disapointed and upset by the Nobel Commitees' choice in awarding President Obama with this prestigious award is understandable. I haven't spoken to anyone who is upset with Obama for receiving it; rather they are upset at the obvious reason behind his nomination. He was in office for 2 weeks when he was nominated and in office less than 9 months when he was awarded. He has done nothing to deserve the award other than the fact that he isn't George W.
    I've seen posts made that say "He's our man – support your president!" Well... where were the patriotic "stand by your leader" Americans when we needed to show the world that we are a united country against all threats both forgeign and domestic!?
    This whole thing is preposterous!

October 14, 2009 at 7:46 am |
  2. ALLAN HORN

This one is for "Kit"...

Kit, you have been believing WAY too much of what you are being told by Glen "BS" Beck, and Rush Limbaugh...

Where were you over the past 8 years when corporate America was encouraged to send all of the jobs and industry to the Far East?

Deeper in debt? We went from a budget surplus of billions to a budget shortage of over a Trillion dollars! Now the stock market is once again climbing, 8 of the top banks that were bailed out and have already paid back their loans PLUS $4.5 BILLION in interest!

The new unumployed rates are dropping instead of climbing, and suddenly we are buying billions less in foreign oil, thanks to "Cash for Clunkers"!

On top of all that, Americans may finally be able to return to Europe without being treated like belligerant schoolyard bullies because Obama has put a new smiling face on the American image.

October 12, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  3. Asia James

President Obama is definitely a president of change. He has only been in the White House for just under nine months, and has already had a huge effect on the world. I am so happy that the Norwegian Nobel Committee has recognized hard work from a man who has overcome much criticism and hatred. The award will be honoring “his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples,” According to CNN. This is a historical moment for black history; to witness the first African-American to win this honor in the White House is an amazing moment for me. I am very proud of Obama, and am looking forward to much more success in the coming months.

October 12, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  4. Daniel Mullen

I am coming to the conclusion – however dumb or sad it may be – that the wrong man won the Presidency.

Here are two quotes from Mr. Obama in his United Nations General Assembly address:

"No one nation can or should try to dominate another nation." and "No balance of power among nations will hold."

So much then for NATO, being a Super Power, or even things like the UN Security Council or the G8.

October 12, 2009 at 6:54 am |
  5. empnyc

Mr. Obama's presence alone not to mention his meteoric rise to power in this country has put the world on notice that the American mindset has and is shifting from local to global. Heretofore, we were known throughout the world as xenophobic and self-centered. With the election of this statesman as President and leader of the Free World, the United States has taken its place among world nations once more.
    Hoorah!

October 11, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  6. jay m

Well we know he did more in twelve days than Bush did in eight years.

October 10, 2009 at 8:47 pm |
  7. Ajoy Adhikari

Yes it does and does more than you can imagine. Of course first you need to know how diplomacy raelly works.Thans

October 10, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  8. Kit

I am usually not one to comment on anything politically. I usually just read everybody else's comments and agree with one side or the other. i don't consider myself racist, in fact, I have several friends who are black. I did not vote for President Obama, but I have always wanted to give him a chance at least. But today, I couldn't resist speaking out.

I feel that President Obama has put the US in the limelight as a winner of a Nobel Peace Prize, which can be a good thing . But so far, I have only seen him cause people to lose jobs, which has caused the highest rate of unemployment and he has put us all put deeper in debt, just to name a few things he has accomplished. He may be talking the talk, but i think he has a long way to go to really "earn" the Peace Prize. Personally, I feel he has a PR staff who has outdone themselves...maybe his PR staff is the ones who should have won the prize!!

October 9, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  9. Jordan

Never has a politician been honored so much, and promoted so eagerly, for accomplishing so little.

October 9, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  10. Franz

Thank You Humbly for the Physics Nobel Prize!

Dear Nobel Prize Committee,
    I’m thinking about inventing a tele-porter this year. I’ve never invented anything before, but I’ve talked with a few of my friends about it and they are SUPER stoked. Based on the example set forward by President Obama, I will now practice my rhetorical skills and have began to schedule press briefings and speeches. I’m sad to say that major institutions overseas and in the US, like the Max Planck Institute, MIT, Chapman University, the American Institute of Physics have turned me down for a referendum and a speech on teleporting, with the lame excuse that I have no proven experience and just started blogging about this a couple of days ago.

However, I’m still in good spirits based on our wonderful Presidents Campaign motto “YES WE CAN”! Based on your decision track record with the Peace Prize that had a nomination deadline falling on the 11th days of Barracks Presidency, I figure you understand my good intentions and see the magic I will do in the future on the topic of teleporting. Come on if 11 days have been enough for Barrack, I have at least worked 2 weeks on my campaign for teleportation. Therefore I would say, I’ll go ahead and take that Nobel Prize in Physics so that I can continue my work with your ongoing support to convince these arrogant non-believer Institutions to allow and pay me to speak.

Just to make sure I have my horse already in the race for next year, I also plan to realize “cold fusion” to swoop a Prize next year. As mentioned I will not have anything tangible at that point in time, but as always my intentions and will to maybe make it happen, if it isn’t to much work and does not keep me from my leisure activities, is unbroken and I’m full of energy.

Thank You Humbly for the Physics Nobel Prize!

October 9, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  11. Mary

You've got to be kidding. What has our President done to deserve this? Don't you have to earn something before you receive it.

October 9, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  12. Deja

The 2009 Nobel Peace Prize Committee embarasses past honorable receipiants who have actually contributed outstanding accomplishments towards international peace. This committee continues to devalue this once great and honorable prize by rewarding a narcissistic man who has only contributed empty promises.

Shameful.

October 9, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  13. oscar

Who's running the Nobel Peace Awards? THE KEYSTONE COPS? My God, this man hasn't accomplished anything since he took office and will never do so. His healhcare plan will fine you or send you to prison if you can't afford it, he promised to make everything transparent when he was elected and thats turned into a constant lie. His czars are a joke, his office has turned into a three ring circus, His wife stated that she suffered when she went to Denmark for the Olmpics. Excuse me Mrs. Obama but there are people in America suffering far worse than you can ever imagine and I take your HIGHER THAN THOU attitude as an insult to every American suffering at this point in time.

October 9, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  14. Dennis

This voter would have had greater approval for the president had he refused an honored which he did not deserve. However, since now that he had accepted the Nobel Peace Price. I hope that Barrack Obama will take that $100,000 that comes along with the Nobel Peace Price and donate it to charity... LikeFeedTheChildren.org, An organization that ends hunger in our very own country. In doing so, perhaps, Mr. Obama, you may be on your way of earning that Nobel Peace Price.

October 9, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  15. Dorothy G.

Nathan it's people like you and your dumb tea party mentality that has allowed those around the world to see the president deserves all he gets for just his efforts. You guys cry he hasn't done anything, then you cry he's trying to do too much, you cry he he's only been in office for nine months, then he hasn't solved all the world's problems in those nine months. Give me a break. It is clear to see why the country is where it is after 8 years of people with such schizophrenic ideals and behaviors. If people can't see by now there is nothing you guys would be satisfied short of a Republican president, then they are deaf,dumb and bling. Get over it Barack Obama is our president and we love it. Just wait 7 more years, you may get another shot to get John McCain elected. In the mean time. Congratualtions Mr. President!!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  16. Monu

Congratulations to President Obama for winning the Nobel Peace Prize. Although some might disagree, he truely deserves it. He has come a long way in creating peace whatever positon he held. As a community organizer, senator, and now President he has worked hard to fight for the people of the United States and the world. Now, we all need to come together and achieve the goals set out in front of us.

October 9, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  17. Priscilla

the Norwegian Nobel Committee for “his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.”

humm......What has he done? HIS JOB.

My question is how well has he done his job...health care..humm..what happen to alternative energy sources..i don't think he deserves it and as nice as it is that he was awarded, he should turn around and give the award to a more deserving person because he has not earned it he is doing his job and not that great I might add.

October 9, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  18. RM Walther

The deadline for the Nobel Peace prize was 10 days after the president took office. What did the president do in those 10 days. Yes he is the first African American President. Great accomplishment, but what did he do in those 10 days to promote peace,-- talk, give speeches. What is the Nobel prize people saying to the people of the world. We can talk a big talk, say we will do this, this and this and expect recognition for it. O.k. then other people will try and do that in less than 10 days. The people will now wait and see if the President will earn it.
    Soldiers who given sacrifices of their own, and some even their lives did not set out to be rewarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, did they? The served proudly, with honor and it was more the 10 days of service. The medal is awarded for courage, bravery above the call of duty. They served first for a period of time and stood up for something the believe in. Law Enforcement Officers do the same thing, because they believe in honor. The people have given their trust to Law Enforcement to protect them, not only from themselves, but from others and to protect their property. They serve proudly, not for money or awards but because of the trust that was given to them. The people have given their trust to the Armed Forces. That is what it boils down to. The have served longer than 10 days. Many people who have served in Armed Forces and Law Enforcement don't ask for medals, awards they want peace, honor and loyalty.

October 9, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  19. Robert

Just as SNL had some interesting things to say about President Obama's accomplishments as President last week, there will be more related to his Nobel Award this Saturday evening.

October 9, 2009 at 12:31 pm |
  20. Mom3044

I agree with Has a brain. I like the man. I like that he's started to changed perception of us as a nation. I hope that one day, he is truly worthy of the award.

But he hasn't accomplished anything yet.

Which brings up the question again, of why? Why was he considered? Why did he win?
    Perhaps it's been tiptoed around, but as a minority, I feel I can bring it up.

Would a white sitting president have been afforded the same honor?

And if not, then is this such a good thing for him?

October 9, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  21. JoJo Bean

Maybe Oprah has some ties in the Nobel committee?

October 9, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  22. Kamal

This is for the persons who that Obama is lying what about George Bush who started two wars one which was to get rid of, weapons of mass destruction

October 9, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  23. Has a brain, uses it

My whole family voted for Obama and I think he's a very likeable man. This however, is jumping the gun. Alfred Nobel had this in mind regarding the prize:

"to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."[

It can not be said with a straight face that in his short tenure, Obama has done any of this. He certainly hasn't abolished or reduced standing armies, the most significant pre-requisite. NOT being Bush is not enough. And it makes his supporters (me amongst them) look as though we'll settle for very shallow means, indeed.

October 9, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  24. Sree

I am so proud of Obama. He is truly a great president!! He has done so much in his 9 months (even with all the negative propaganda) and he truly earned it.

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  25. eliz wolfgang

Kelly Chang...What have you done for your COUNTRY lately? Need I say more.

October 9, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  26. eliz wolfgang

Adrienne55..Thank you.

October 9, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  27. jay m

Congratulations, Mr. President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  28. jim vicalvi

I wonder who will present the prize to him? Gerado and/or Rick Sanchez????

October 9, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  29. Minister Avis

I am often amazed at the voices that the American public lends credence to based on their position! I AM PLEASED AND GRATEFUL TO GOD that President Barak H. Obama has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize! Now He has to earn it????Obviously, He has done that. Not to say that this presidency is going to be a pleasure cruise, and that he will make EVERYBODY happy with each decision, but the people spoke loudly in November, it is now our responsibility to work with him to bring somethings to pass. Congratulations, Mr. President!

October 9, 2009 at 10:19 am |
  30. Fran

Barbara, you have said what you think a million times now. We have several branches of government that have to work together to accomplish something. The Republicans will not let that happen. Mr. Obama has attempted to talk with them and negogiate with them and they still will not cooperate on any level. He cannot accomplish anything in this country alone. The repugs have made it clear that they wll not support him and want him to fail. Nothing will get accomplished if that mindset continues. The only thing that has gotten a positive yes from them is to send more troops to Afganastain.
    You folks are hypocritical! So patriotic and flag waving.
    Our President has gotten a prestigious award and all you can do is criticize. Congrats Pres. Obama!

October 9, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  31. blake

This is like the little league teams who get a trophy for "participation," even though they didn't win. It makes me sad to see how many adults are so eager to extol his accomplishments that they don't mind if they are fictitious! Obama may yet do amazing things, but he hasn't managed to do much yet. Give him time. As for now, he ought to decline to accept. That would be truly refreshing. A president who understands actions are louder than words, unlike the nominating committee.

October 9, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  32. Dee

Isn’t it ironic America home of the free, freedom and equality for all has never practiced what it preaches? We criticize other countries for doing exactly what we do here in America. We have double standards just like our court system.

Ironic Obama wins prize for his efforts in promoting change and peace, (they did not say he achieved world peace) America the bigots complains. Martin L King wins the prize for his efforts in promoting equality, America the prejudice complained, and Ralph Bunch wins for his peace efforts and America complained. When someone Black wins anything in America, White America says it is unfair and time to give this award system a complete overhaul.

By the way Reagan did not promote peace, his efforts were to build a stronger defense and illustrate, America’s missile power, and did he not invade a tiny little country. Is this promoting peace? News anchors just provide the facts not your opinions. .

October 9, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  33. Georgia Burke

The man you had on this morning commenting on President Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize has a racial under tone to his comment. He said, "I am happy when America wins tennis and golf too".
    I know the Americans that dominate those sports are Black, Tiger Woods and the Williams sisters.
    A person of such statue has to be careful how he come across to the public.

GAB
    New York

October 9, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  34. eliz wolfgang

You call yourselves AMERICANS. Do you Negative AMERICANS have any shame? The Devil is truly walking, ;istening and looking in your households and in your hearts. Go ahead and cast those stones; what you send out/cast out will come back to you double, triple, twelve-fold. It might not affect you now, but get ready to pay. Pay back is surely a B-ch.

Congrats, President Obama.

October 9, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  35. Ash

While President Obama's talk of increased global cooperation is commendable, he hasn't actually achieved any results yet. He does not yet deserve the honor of being counted alongside individuals like Al Gore and Nelson Mandela who delivered concrete results on significant issues.

October 9, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  36. Jack

I can only hope that President Obama does not go to far down the path of apology and appeasement, which Neville Chamberlain choose to pursue with Hitler in 1938.

The Observer, 2 October 1938

"Suggestions to honour Mr Chamberlain in some tangible form for his great services to peace continue to be made in many parts of Europe. The French nation is now concentrating on how it can repay "the first artisan of peace".

Numerous proposals for renaming streets, starting funds and erecting statues are contained in the French press, and Le Figaro states that the British prime minister should be immediately invited to Paris so that all can acclaim him. One paper suggests starting a fund so that monuments and statues might be erected to the "saviour of modern Europe" in every capital in the world. Strasbourg has overnight renamed streets: the Avenue de la Paix is now the Avenue Neville Chamberlain.

The assertion that Mr Chamberlain should receive the Nobel peace prize, says the Stockholm Tidningen [newspaper], is warmly supported in all quarters in Sweden and Norway, and England. Mahmond Pasha, the prime minister of Egypt, has telegraphed Mr Chamberlain the thanks of the Egyptian government and people for averting war. The telegram concludes: "Your name will go down in history as a statesman who saved civilisation from destruction." "

October 9, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  37. mike

Hiedi... hiedi.... hiedi Im not sure if you know this but your work for the republican party ,in twisting everything that comes out of your mouth .do you ever just report the news it is very tireing your injection of opinion ,people see right through you and your work you are doing for the republicans I am not sure why you are on cnn your home is fox news. And we are not concerned about you losing money in the stock
    market so cut it out !

October 9, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  38. Robert

These comments are proof positive that there are still so many ignorant , biggot racist in the country. This man is on his way of bringing peace to the world and you guys just poo poo him. Get over it. Slavery is over. Without the black man america would not be. Do you think a white man would have fed the world and built this nation. Hell no. Most of our founders were lazy white boys who did'nt know how to really work. . We'd still be in huts on the shoreline. I'm white and i'm ashamed at some of the comments from so called american's. Grow up and evolve.

October 9, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  39. michael Rock

I really think they gave him this award for getting elected president as a Black man in America. And, quite frankly, it might be deserved: perhaps instilling a real sense that anything is possible is worthy of the prize.

October 9, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  40. Pauly

The wingnuts are surely out in force this am. Congratulations President Obama. A prestigious award is awarded you & the right can only complain. As Hillary stated, if you walked on water, the right would complain you couldn't swim. Don't listen to the fear & smear campaign that has cost this country dearly for the last 8 years. The rest of the country & the world support you!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  41. Paul

I'm just miffed that the guy wins the Nobel Peace Prize then an hour later lights up the fireworks and blows up the moon.

October 9, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  42. Dorothy Kincaid

It is so sad – Americans hate so much, especially with their RACISM front and forward – they can't even admit their RACIST ways. I am appalled at the way many of you would hate anything President Obama did – President Obama deserves the Nobel Peace for nothing, but putting up with the racism even in the media. You are showing your true colors (especially on CNN).

Thanks to the Nobel community for being so smart.

October 9, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  43. mike

Shame on you,amfix we can obviously see you are republican anchors
    it is sad to see that you dont realize that party will not run this country
    ever again no matter how much you twist your lies and the truth.your jealousy shows right through in regards to the presidents winning of the nobel prize he already has done more than that idot bush has done in 8 years. You are a sad group start reporting the news and not your politics.

October 9, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  44. Kelly Chang

I guess good intentions are more important then actions are. One good thing might come of this if Obama graceously forwards the check for $ 1,400,000.00 to one/some of the charities that now have no money because of his recent spending. Maybe a good peace inititave would be to send the check to his hometown of Chicago to redusce the violence there, since he is so proud to being a Chicagoan.

October 9, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  45. George

Congratulations to President Obama and to America which produced a man with his kind of promise. I did not want to get angry this morning so I have not read the ridiculous comments by the right which I am sure there will be no shortage of. It's a shame people can't just take pride in this moment instead of taking cheap shots.

October 9, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  46. Charles

Funny how Republicans just can't be happy! Ed Rollins, a Republican Strategist, Ha!, just couldn't give Obama credit for winning this award. As a country, we need to work together and rebuild the damage done during the past eight years and Obama winning a Noble Peace prize, is confirmation of that! Republicans have no one to blame but themselves for allowing the Neo-Con's run their party into the ground!

October 9, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  47. Dorothy G.

The reason people have become sooooo disgusted with the news is because of the kind of opinioned reporting CNN does. The only thing necessary to report is the fact the President won the Nobel prize and everyone can have their own reaction. as they always do. Those that are going to be unhappy can get over it.

I would like to see how people feel about John Roberts, Kiran, and especially Carol Costello. Belive me to have the likes of them along with Lou Dobbs speaks volumes for the kind of reporting you getting from CNN. Thank God they still have Rick Sanchez.. who for the most part tries to be fair ( not always ) but much more than any other CNN reporter.

It is a sad day when simply trying to sow negativity to sell your news. I guess it works at least for now, but ultimately you guys will not win. You are going to have sooo much more egg on your face when things. When things turn around and they are. It's a sad day when all the news can report is negative especially considering you have just now discovered there is so much negative to report. Where have you guys been? I guess you weren't reporting the last eight years.

I can't believe that someone who is trying to call themselves reporters
    would try to put such cynicism in their reporting. First with you guys the president hasn't preformed everything in 8 months that the other presidents have done in 2 terms. The next time he hasn't done enough to win the honor of Nobel Peace prize. which is it. and who cares what Ed Rollins thinks? He didn't get to vote. so yes it is a case of sour grapes with all of you CNN Republicans. You were so elated last Friday because you were able to gloat that the President didn't help to get the Olympics. Well get over it. Our President has won the Nobel piece prize and I don't think the committee asked for your OPINION. Does that say anything about what it is worth?

October 9, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  48. Kelly Chang

For Pam, last time I checked we had freedom of speech, why are you trying to take mine away. I am not telling you to STFU, please keep your hatred to yourself. Questioning my patriotism, is the same as saying you're a liar, I don't know you, you don't me so keep your hatred to yourself. If you keep riding that celebrity bandwagon, go ahead, it's your right, just don't expect me to jump on it, and yes I voted for him and what I fool I was.

October 9, 2009 at 8:46 am |