American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
October 9th, 2009

Rollins: Obama must now 'earn' Nobel Peace Prize

President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a stunning decision that comes just eight months into his presidency.

Ed Rollins questions what President Obama will do to ''earn'' the Nobel Peace Prize.

The decision appeared to catch most observers by surprise. Ed Rollins, CNN political contributor and Republican strategist, says the question now is what does he do with it?

Rollins joined John Roberts and Kiran Chetry on CNN’s “American Morning” Friday. Below is an edited transcript of the interview.

John Roberts: The president has given three significant speeches talking about peace – in Germany, in Cairo, and at the United Nations. He's traveled the world very extensively in the first nine months of his presidency. Could that not be said – and considering too the change in tone – to be worthy of being recognized with the Nobel peace prize?

Ed Rollins: You usually get recognized at the end of some major accomplishment. I think three speeches are a start from his perspective. And I want to congratulate him. I'm always for Americans winning, whether it’s golf, tennis, or the international stage. And it's a lot better Friday than last Friday, when he woke up saying, “We came in fourth.”

I think at this point, the thing I'm curious about is, this is a storybook made-for-TV story. A young senator basically gets elected president after a very short period of time. Nine months into his administration, when the world is still at war – he’s sitting down at a war council today – he gets the Nobel Peace Prize. I mean, if you presented that as a made-for-TV, you probably would get the script rejected.

The key thing I think today is how does he think of himself now? … I'm now a Nobel Peace Prize winner. I've got to go out and make sure I create peace in the world. Not a bad objective. Except, are you as commander in chief basically going to abdicate some of your duties?

Roberts: You are saying that he's been given the award, now he's got to go win it?

Rollins: I think he has to go win it. I think clearly you don’t get the award for three speeches. There's a very strong anti-American sentiment around the world. I think he tapped into that by his apology tours and I think, to a certain extent, he was rewarded for that. I think now at this point in time – Nobel peace prize winner – what does he do with it?

Kiran Chetry: How much does a Nobel Peace Prize matter when you’re sitting in the White House with so many things on your plate domestically?

Rollins: It doesn't create any jobs. It’s not going to get any votes on the health care package. It certainly gives him a prestige on the world stage, but does it make Prime Minister Putin sit down and say, “Gee, this guy is a Nobel Peace Prize winner. I've got to be better to him”?

Chetry: Does it?

Rollins: No, I don't think so. And I think there may be a little jealousy – a little jealousy by some ex-presidents. We talked about Bill Clinton. What does Bill Clinton do at this point in time, who worked very hard to basically reduce nuclear…

Roberts: And came very close to peace in the Middle East.

Rollins: He did. And he worked very hard at it. So I think to a certain extent, once again I congratulate him for it. I'm happy for America. I think the key thing here is what does he do now to go earn it?

Roberts: Clearly, the Nobel committee appeared to award him this prize for the work that he has done so far and the potential for work in the future. And the Nobel committee loves to award people who continue their work. I mean, they gave the peace prize to Al Gore. He didn't say, “That's it, I'm done, thanks.” He continues to work on climate change.

Rollins: And they gave it to Jimmy Carter, a failed presidency, who was rejected overwhelmingly by the public, by Ronald Reagan, who did go out and do a lot for world peace.

Roberts: But Jimmy Carter did manage to broker those Camp David accords. That’s fairly notable.

Rollins: He did but that was not what he got his award for.

Chetry: You noted that no Republicans get the Nobel peace prize.

Rollins: I don't want to say it's anti-Republican or anti-Bush family, per se – except for Teddy Roosevelt, who we all loved. The other part that I think he has to be concerned about, people like Woodrow Wilson who won it, others – some of their presidencies failed.

Roberts: How much of this is just sour grapes on the part of people who complain about the president getting this? Obviously, the Nobel committee took a look at all 205 people who were nominated and said, this person is the most deserving. Why should anybody question what they did?

Rollins: Who was the Nobel committee? And what were the reasons for it? If it was the three speeches, then say that. Is it really that he's built peace in the world or just wants peace in the world? That's the critical question.

Filed under: Politics
  1. Josh

Americans may not understand why Obama won the prize, but others around the world do. The rest of the world views the United States in a different light that many Americans do not understand.

October 9, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  2. Trisha

Rollins,

Stop being so hateful.

"Is it really that he’s built peace in the world or just wants peace in the world?"

Don't you have to want something in order to achieve it? Or perhaps peace is something a hateful person knows nothing about.

October 9, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  3. Jackie

First, lets congratulate our President bcause people from every where is watching the most powerful country on the globe and all they hear this moning is "he's black", he's not ready, "we are stunned, etc. What ever criteria this committee used to make their decision, the bottm line was clear to them, President Barack Obama exudes what this world needs, peace and time for change. It's not about the color of his skin, it's not about where he was born, it's about at last, someone is proud enough to talk and fight for international equality on many fronts. For those that bring us our news every day, stop the hating on his accomplishments, where minor or major, and be thankful that we have a leader who articulates well, who is a loving father and husband, who is humble but thorough. In all my years on this earth, we have sterotyped African American men in a negative stage, and now that the leader is not what we think he should be as a black man, we find othe things to stick to him. Why is he taking time out with his kids when the economy is so bad, why is he taking his wife out to dinner in New York, why is he talking to these foreigh countries, why is he this and why is he tha, he is doing too much. Give him a chance to make the changes he speaks about, rally behind the changes and then, if you are disatisfied, then vote your choice once again at the next Presidential Election, but please, give this man a break!!! CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!

October 9, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  4. Mississippi Man

I'm really getting tired of this nutcases waving the stars and strips but then celebrating US defeats. Who needs enemies when you have Republicans.

Lost the Olympic bid, they cheer.
    Save the Auto industry, they boo.
    More and more people go without medical care, they cheer
    The US President gets the Peace prize, they boo.

October 9, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  5. brad

The key point not mentioned in this article is that the Nobel Peace Committee is left leaning and the finalists were decided upon on February 1, 2009. That is exactly 10 days into President Obama's tenure. Are you seriously telling me there are no others in this world who have done far more for peace in their life time than Obama did in 10 days in office? I think not.

October 9, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  6. karkri

People like Rollins are the reason the Republicans are still fighting for an identity. When you win, you congratulate and celebrate. When you lose (after a good fight), you get up and move on. The typical loser mentality (Rollins') is to keep digging into past (like mentioning "last Friday") in why the neo-cons will lose again in 2012.

October 9, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  7. Chris

Rollins is a grumpy old man. He wouldn't be happy for Obama even if he did broker peace in the middle east, get the Russians to collaborate around the Iranian issue, show progress on reducing nuclear weapons, or any other achievement towards peace. He would claim we gave too much away somehow. I like the idea of presenting a conservative voice on issues like this, but this one can't seem to get over his allegiance to Reagan. Or maybe there just aren't many reasonable conservatives – my sympathies in this case to CNN, who are charged with trying to find one. Obama won this award for changing a culture of unilateralism and obstinance, and we should all be thankful to and proud of him.

October 9, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  8. molly

Ed, please be happy for this country, and the president for once , and stop all the bashing. this is one of the reason that he won the prize for peace in this world, because he never say I want for me and mind, he always say I want this to become a better world for us all.
    Please let's be happy for our President, and stop all the negative words of shame, and failure. Just stop it people, this is a Man of great respect, knowledge, education, and wisdom even at the age of 48 yrs old, this just blows your mind, at what he has done in such a short time. I am so proud of him as being an American and bring this to pass for world peace. When will all this bashing stop in America.
    He won the office in Nov 2008, and became the first Black President in Jan, 2009, I think that was a big world accomplishment within it self for him aganist all the hell that he was put through.
    Congra's Mr President on all your accomplishment so far and in the future. God's speed.

October 9, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  9. Chris

Yes, let us celebrate the awardee. While he thinks about breaking his election promise, our brothers and sisters are being killed in Afgahanstan. WAKE UP AMERICA AND THE WORLD!

October 9, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  10. ErikNY

What some people fail to realize is that submissions for this prize had to be in in February of this year. That means Obama was in office for what? 1 month?!?! While all of us can just blindly sit back and say "yay an American won, good for us!" Lets take a critical look at the reason why he won.

To me this prize is clearly a supportive slap on the back for being the first Black American President. But that in itself is not a significant peace achievement. Unfortunately for the Nobel committee their significance has be dramatically devalued.

Why hasn't Ronald Reagan won for being instrumental to bringing an end to the Cold War? Why hasn't JFK won for stopping and avoiding the bay of pigs? What some thought of at the time as the precipice for the Third World War. Why Hasn't the elder Bush won for being an integral part of that process in the 80's and then finally ending the Cold War during his presidency? Why didn't Clinton win for his work in Ireland?

I'm a classic independent. I voted for Bush and I voted for Obama. But I'm very concerned for his new presidency right now because he has to live up to standards that are impossible to achieve.

October 9, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  11. ELWYN

Ed Rollins, you're a joke. You take any and every shot you can to discredit the President. In the end, you look like and old, defeated loser.

October 9, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  12. george cook

Get concrete you two! That probably has been one of his primary objectives since getting into the President's Office....more chances for Photo Ops...Rhetoric and flowery speeches sometimes get the job done. But there others of us who believe ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS...I agree with Mr. Rollins. Words and flowery speeches dont necessarily make us a better country in they eyes of the world but the RIGHT ACTIONS do! We have had enough of the FLOWERY, PHOTO OP SPEECHES..Let's get some word done and DELIVER on some of those PROMISES you made to get elected....So for your Report Card is not looking REAL GOOD Mr President !!!!!!!!!!

George

October 9, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  13. Eileen

Audrey you can feel fortunate to have Obama as president but don't expect everyone to worship him as you do, He has done nothing and I am embarressed that these people are in the white house. If Europe likes them so much they can have them.

October 9, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  14. David

Just another cup of cool aid for the obama worshippers to drink

October 9, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  15. Jake T.

Maybe he should bring peace to his hometown of Chicago, where honors students have their lives endangered or lost trying to get ahead, before receiving the Nobel Piece Prize. Formerly, one had to produce a film before receiving the award, now the criteria is based upon future expectations, not actions.

October 9, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  16. Chesty

Obama has just one-upped JFK in the department of "Cool Things to Have On Your Desk in the Oval Office." A Pulitzer is cool, but a Nobel? Way, way cooler.

Congratulations, Mr. President.

October 9, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  17. LarryR

I have been critical of the news media for a long time now. I think that freedom of the press has taken on a meaning that was never intended. Press, media, news .. should be just that. Give me the news (facts) and let me interpret it based on my own experiences. I'm not as stupid as you imply!

Now we let people like Rollins and a myriad of "experts" tell us what the news really means and thus we have all of the news outlets biased one way or the other. Garbage and Rollins, your comment was just that, garbage!

No, the Nobel Peace Prize is given for things accomplished, in this case Obama reaching out to people all around the world in an attempt to create dialog and understanding, as he did to the Muslims, the Iranians, the Russians, the French, the Germans and the list goes on. Only someone with their head stuck in a place of darkness would not know or understand this or comment on it as Rollins did!

Oh where is the news these days?

October 9, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  18. Chris

If you read about the people that were passed over for Obama to get it, the entire situation reeks. Rah rah. He won it. Tell the other 200 who did 1,000 times more with 1,000,000 times less that he was more deserving.

October 9, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  19. Cindy

Sorry, but there are SO MANY people who have worked tirelessly all their lives, in dire circumstances, with no money or fanfare, to bring peace and to help our fellow human beings, and this is a travesty to award this prize to a man who has really done NOTHING except give lovely speeches. This diminishes the prize, and the committee's purpose. In one way, it is a back-handed compliment--let's recognize the first black president by giving him a prize for being president--sorry, but it's not right, and Obama would be so classy if he declined the prize. So many other could use the money and the fame the prize would bring to continue the great work they are already doing it.

October 9, 2009 at 10:53 am |
  20. James Frew

Is Ed Rollings joking? I agree with some of his main points, but to say that our president has done nothing more than three speeches is just plain blasphemy. I'm so sick and tired of republicans and their constradictory statements, 'well I'm happy for Americans...but.' Seriously Ed, what have you done to better America? Complain?

October 9, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  21. Kenneth

Check out the haters coming out of the woodwork already! The guy got the prize. He's already earned it.

October 9, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  22. Chuck Myntti

Obama has returned America to the international table. Bush used right wing fear tactics to make money for his cronies. They started the wars for profit. period. With Obama at the helm, I'm no longer embarrassed or frightened to call myself an American as I travel outside of the US. Obama, who ahs travelled outside of the US, who has lived outside of the US, understands what it means to have our reputation tarnished as a country, in the eyes of future and current collaborators for peace and understanding. Bush's nightmare administration was nothing but embarrassment and tarnish. God Bless Obama. Ed Rollins. Go live in Paris or Berlin to see what I mean. Otherwise, shame on you for your all too common right-wing ignorance.

October 9, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  23. Nero

Oh my...It is another sad day in America but I believe people of other countries are very happy today.

The President did not ask to be a Nobel winner and I bet it was not on his mind. This goes to show that people of other countries are smarter than Americans.

Since this guy began running for office, he has received more hate than all other presidents.

I am sick of the hatred in America and I wish him well. Hilary said it truthfully; if Barack Obama was seen walking on water, people would say it's because he can't swim.

I hope those against his principles will eat their words and choke on their own venom.

October 9, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  24. Pam

Its amazing he has done more good in 9 months than Bush did in 8 years.

October 9, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  25. Vence

What kind of country have we become. Now nobody celebrates an american victory unless is a military victory. No wonder the world hate us. Ironocally the same people that laugh when we lost the Olimpics is the one who complain when we won the nobel prize. These are the real unamericans.

October 9, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  26. JP

Oh, for those who say he hasn't earned it yet because the results are not there, well nobody said that about Gore and Gorbachev. No, these people who make these comments are just angry that Obama is President and take every opportunity to belittle the man. I want to see a Republican politician win the Nobel prize,

October 9, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  27. CHERRY

I for one, am very proud of our president but yet a bit perturbed with the nay sayers. We finally have a president who believes in peace & fairness. For a country who braggs about being founded upon christian values and the right to serve God. We are certainly a bunch of bigots, thieves, cheaters, and just plain name callers. Allow the president to do what we the people elected him to do.

October 9, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  28. Jeff

What if he doesn't accomplish the promises? He'll always have the award for wanting to acheive world peace. Doesn't every Miss America want the same thing? Speaks to the credibility of this award – it's certainly not Pres. Obama's fault he won it, but it may back him into corners he may not want to be in right now.

October 9, 2009 at 10:51 am |
  29. Kana

The Nominations had to be postmarked by Feb 11, he had just recently been inaugurated. As president he hadn't done anything significant yet. And eve at this point I don't think he has done anything significantly deserving to have received the award.

I would think one would have had to actualy acheived something already before being nominated.

I don't beleive President Obama deserves the award at this time. There are many others that have done much more towards bettering the world.

In my opinion this tarnishes the meaning of the Nobel Peace Prize

October 9, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  30. Alan

A Nobel Peace Prize recipient is/should not be expected to "earn" it after he/she receives the award. Of course not. However, they are expected to be given to people who HAVE earned it already – something that is clearly missing in this case. Just look at the surprise throughout the media and world! Even Matt Lauer was surprised....

October 9, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  31. StopitEd

It's funny republicans say 'o it's only 8 months into his presidency!' when it comes to this prize, but when it comes to other issues they think everything should be fixed already. This guy Ed will find negatives in ANYTHING concerning Obama.

October 9, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  32. Brad

Poor Rollins... Maybe one day his conservative buddies can win one when they stop causing wars, death, and destruction.

October 9, 2009 at 10:49 am |
  33. Cecilia Sanchez

Obama is new and he hasn't been in office for very long, however he's brought more attention not only to the needs of those in the U.S.A., but also in the world. Has he solved the peace problems? No he hasn't, but he's putting a dent in them and no offense to anyone, but do you see any leaders in the world standing up and making any efforts? Obama is out there calling attention to the problems in the world and trying to get all nations involved in world peace. Give him a break! Republicans stop criticizing and get out there and make your own positive contributions!!!

October 9, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  34. Jerry

Hey Rollins should be proud that an America leader has been recognized. Your sourness comes thru when ever time you talk about any thing related to Obama or the Democrats. As an American I am proud our leader was chosen. Shame on you for your comments.

October 9, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  35. Joe Boredwithamericanmediaandpolitics

Come on CNN. How boringly predictable. What did you expect Ed Rollins to say? Every guest, whether Republican or Democrat, is going to give a partisan spin to whatever topic is being discussed. It's all politics driven and, frankly, I'm ready to tune out. Thank God for MLF playoffs.

October 9, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  36. Brent

To Audrey,

Are you kidding me? Are you so out of touch with reality to actually believe that Obama deserves the Nobel Peace Prize? Please respond with what he has done to deserve it. Nominations for the prize end in Feb, he was in office two weeks. Do you get that? He was in office for TWO WEEKS. I cannot wait to hear your answer...

Brent

October 9, 2009 at 10:48 am |
  37. James Gregson

It just astonishes me that, this man, who inherited a catastrophe from the prior administration has been lambasted for all of the ills and mess that still plague our country. He's been in office 9 months, and he's being criticized and blamed for a mess that he did not create, and has only been trying to straighten out, not only here in America, but internationally as well.

Congratulations President Obama! You deserve this award.

October 9, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  38. Merv

While I'm not sure he was the most deserving nominee, I say it's great the prize went to an American! Go America!

October 9, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  39. JP

Congratulations to the President for winning for world peace and understanding. He is in good company. Al Gore won the Nobel for his efforts on ecology. That's two Democrats with the prize. What's the Republican answer? Belittle the Nobel prize. What else?

October 9, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  40. Mickey

Giving the Nobel Peace Prize to someone who has done absolutely nothing to bring any peace to anybody has tarnished the whole point of the Prize. The Nobel committee should be ashamed.

October 9, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  41. Russell

Now we know what candy will be most popular at Halloween. Chocolate nobel prizes wrapped in gold foil. Being critical about this decision is not being critical of President Obama, it is being critical of those that made this decision. I hope he earns it.

October 9, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  42. Ken

Hey CNN...why is that we only read or hear commentary from Republicans like Rollins or Feeney? You guys never have one progressive render a commentary on your site.

Is this the typical "no liberals" rule that you mainstream media types seem to enforce?

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  43. RobK

It is nonsense and everyone knows it. It is embarrassing to the U.S. to be handed this prize by a fawning Nobel committee when nothing was done to earn it. He was nominated before Feb 1, less than two weeks in office, just for being the first black president.

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  44. Hebs

The cutoff for nominees was Feb 1st. How much did he do in the first 2 weeks of office to even award a nomination? I wouldn't care if he won it next year, or at the end of his term. But being nominated before doing anything basically sours my opinion towards this once prestegious award. Last I checked, it wasn't suppose to be a popularity contest.

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  45. Eric

I had the intention to repaint all the curbs in our neighborhood one day; can I get an international award for that? If the pressure wasnt on Obama before he definitely has been propped up on the stage now...

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  46. Jack

I agree that we should be proud of this moment. Its sad to see that this is the era when American's should stand united yet for political reason we are being divided. I didnt vote for Bush. I didn't agree with alot of things he did. He was still my President. I still respected the fact that he represented the United States. I never once wished him to fail or wished him harmed. That what it truely means to be American. To stand united despite our differences. To protect, and care for every citizen within our borders. To voice your opinion respectfully and listen with an open mind. With out those simple factors this country is no than what Iraq, or afghanistan. When you will fully disreguard those factors for you own political gain you become Anti-American.

October 9, 2009 at 10:46 am |
  47. Tom B

The Republican Party, Rollins and the RNC seem to want America to fail – they become a "Hate America" group whenever a Democrat is in office. When the American President was unsuccessful in attracting the Olympics to the US, these Republican shills cheer. When the American president wins the Nobel peace prize, the Republican shills attack both the president and the prize. Pathetic and disappointing…

October 9, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  48. John

How will this impact Obama's position with Israel?
    Will this award be used to leverage less support for Israel?

October 9, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  49. S. Sangekar

I respectfully submit, MR. Ed Rollins is all wet in his logic. He is a typical Republican Lobyst, Mr. Carter was not given noble prize for being American President and President Regan fo any stretch of imagination cannot be considered as a candidate for PEACE. Mr. Rollins is just showing Republican bias towards us Americans who do not think like him and his party domestically and globally. He must know also except for literature, the Noble prizes especially in certain areas like economics and siences, the noble prizes are given to the
    persons who came with initial discovery or thoughts that later developed by others into full scale discoveries or theories to the advancement of mankind. These winners were initiators. Obama is like wise considered as initiator of positive changes in our national
    attitude towards world and fellow Americans irrespective of wealth
    and utilization of our resources for the betterment of all Americans, not
    chosen few and for the rest of the world. I

October 9, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  50. lastexposfan

On Monday, I predict President Obama will get the Nobel Prize in Economics. Next year, it will be Physics and Chemistry. Then Literature, and finally Medicine, before his term is out.

October 9, 2009 at 10:45 am |
  51. markp

He has the wholke world fooled... A do nothing man who has done nothing of worth in his career other than give good speeches has everything handed to him.. If something dont go his way blame Bush or Fox news.. Clinton and Reagon actually shred the number of nucleor weapons and they weren't giving a thank you from the nobel committe.. Obama talks about doing something and he is the run away winner, it's crazy..

October 9, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  52. Juli

This award just diluted the Nobel Peace Prize to a miss congeniality award. This interchange here raises a vaild point. Bill Clinton has been working tirelessly using his global clout on this issue since he left office. Why not him? There is no logical reason to award President Obama this award at this time.

October 9, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  53. b love

Mr Rollins may be a strategist for Republicans, but he is DEAD wrong and definitely out of touch with the reality of the world. Obama deserved to win the Nobel Peace Prize. Just like the award says " NOBEL PEACE " and Obama has generated peace to the world with his speeches and his implementation of policies to the world. It wasn't premature, but it was on time. You and the rest of the GOP Republicans are plum idiots and lack knowledge if you don't have anything constructive to say. You need to man up and give credit to where credit is due, instead of following those negative old outdated white guys in Congress and those ditzy Sarah Palin people and have positive things to say about America. You guys are out of touch and out of time!

October 9, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  54. Janice

Why do the pundits think that it is helpful to humanaity to solve problems by dropping bombs on each other. Destroying property and killing humans, creating deficits in the process and going through a cycle of destruction, displacement and rebuilding.

We can do better. Stop cricising the President. He didn't award himself the prize.

Be proud for America. God Bless America

October 9, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  55. Sarah Marina del Rey, CA

For those who want proof of evil in the world, simply look to haters who denounce a man for winning an award for PEACE. You'll probably see a lot of the same people who applauded the last president for WAR.

Some say it was too soon for President Obama to receive the award, but in truth it's the perfect time. We need to show the world that our leadership is once again committed to the pursuit of peace and international cooperation.

Well done, Nobel committee!

October 9, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  56. Matt Waldman

Audrey, I agree we should be proud but you know what's wrong with our country. Old white men like Rollins still have this visceral problem with seeing a man like Obama doing anything other than serving him food, shining his shoes, and picking his crops.

Rollins' behavior is representative of why Republicans have a 9% approval rating...

October 9, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  57. Roz Jones

Another pontificating commentary by Ed Rollins. I, for one, am growing very weary of his biased, partisan opinions. We should all be celebrating this incredible honor given to our President. And Rollins should be ashamed of himself.

October 9, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  58. Curious

The man was in office for two weeks when the nominations closed. The to quote the judge "We want to promote what he stands for", so the award was given on the hopes Obama would promote the agenda of the commitee who selected Obama. Obama's views maybe wide supported, but its like giving your student an A+ for a test he hasn't taken yet.

October 9, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  59. Michael from Chicago

Obama's done more in his first day of office than Bush did in 8 years of global alienation and war-mongering. I think Obama's earning it, every day.

October 9, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  60. Leo

I know I will catch flack for this, but to me this award smells like a favor. All this week, the talk about President Obama has been how he has failed to accomplish absolutely anything of significance since taking office. How even with a majority in the House and Senate, he can't seem to make any progress. And today we wake up to these news. It sounds (to me) like someone called in a favor to boost an image and an ego.

October 9, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  61. Amy

Positive thinkers are great and all, but I thought the country elected a positive CHANGER. Otherwise we could have just elected Stuart Smalley.

Now Greg Mortenson, THERE is someone who has created real positive change in the world. And now no one will hear about him and his good works because the prize was awarded to a freshman president who talks pretty. So sad.

October 9, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  62. Diana

It is wonderful to know that the world is once again looking at our nation and our president with assurance and respect. I am very proud of President Obama. Why is it the world feels this way about a man striving to correct the ills of the past eight years, and many people in this country do not appreciate what they have right here for the first time in many years? Isn't it time to become the UNITED States of America once again.

October 9, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  63. Scott

I voted for Barack Obama and I am very happy he was elected. I think he will do good things. However, I think this is entirely premature as well.

October 9, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  64. Dan

This is like giving an award to all the members of a little league team BEFORE they play.

This move really cheapens the worth of a Nobel Peace Prize.

But then again, Al Gore got one, too ... proves the theory.

October 9, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  65. Matt

Audrey, are you seeing what we are seeing? Wake up, the HOPE and CHANGE are not coming. We are on a slippery slope down to the bottom. We have never been in so much debt, our country is now racially divided once again, Congress is trying to shove a Trillion dollar health care package down our throat's without us having a word, the economy is the worst in a hundred years, unemployment is at a record high, Stimuluss money (AKA Taxpayer money) is going to private companies while citizens are going broke and losing homes... Shall I go on? What has Obama done for the American public? Sadly, nothing yet. I HOPE this changes, but as long as Obama is forcing his agenda instead of the American public's, we are doomed. True, the American people voted for him, but they voted for someone that would help them, and change their lives... It's just not happening.

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  66. Robert

from CNN October 11, 2002:

Announcing the winner on Friday, the five-member Norwegian Nobel Committee praised Carter's decades of "untiring effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts, to advance democracy and human rights, and to promote economic and social development."

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  67. John

I am not a Obama supporter, but I am proud that an American President is the receipient. I believe that President Obama worthy of this honor but I can't help but wondering why another president wasn't worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize. Ronald Reagan helped bring an end to the Cold War and also was responsible for the bringing down of the Berlin Wall. I believe his actions are deserving of a Nobel Peace Prize. I don't know what the rules are for awarding one, but if one can be awarded to a person whom is deceased, I believe Reagan would be a good candidate. Congrats to President Obama!

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  68. Carol

I am not pro- or anti-Obama in the political ring – I just want whoever is in charge to help our great country in every way they can. So far, President Obama has talked with a lot of seemingly good intentions, but I am not sure that he has accomplished anything. His administration (Secretary of State) has done far more with diplomacy than he has, but I guess he is credited for hiring her.

Quite frankly there are many more deserving people at this point in time than the President. Not to belittle him in any way, but there are people who have sacrificed their careers, their well being, and even their lives to help achieve peace. Does Obama get the prize because he is more famous?

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  69. Josephine Ianoale

Yeyyyy, Ed Rollins! You are the best. You present the most unbiased comments. I watch you on CNN continually.

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  70. Arnold

Rhetoric and talk if Utopia. Aside from weakening the US and getting European elitists to like us, just what has he accomplished? Carter for all his faults is way more deserving. And he just got his in 2002. Over 20 years after he left office.

October 9, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  71. Christian

Audrey, you ask, "What is wrong with our country?" Well, it certainly isn't that people are questioning whether the president deserves the award or not. It seems rather ignorant to simply say "Support our Country… Support our President… We will succeed. But not with the nay sayers," in that this country was founded on the idea that we can question things, and that we are supposed to question things and cry out when we think something isn't right. You can't call out people simply because they think the president is undeserving of the award and use as your defense that we should simply be happy that an American won the award and that we should support him (president or not). It is our duty to question. In my opinion, Obama has great intentions, but he has not, as of yet, done anything deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize, and the award is not supposed to be given out based on intentions.

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  72. minnie

The Nobel Peace award is the prize of losers. He is joining the company of Al Gore and Jummy Carter. The biggest jokes of all time.
    That goes for Obama too.

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  73. Kevin

Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize......for what? Good intentions? Wanting to succeed? Making speeches? Why don't we award the World Series to the Chicago Cubs at the beginning of the season next year and then say "maybe it will inspire them to go out and win it". There is no doubt he has good intentions and can give a carefully crafted, teleprompter aided speech. But that is a far cry from actually accomplishing something on the world stage to bring about peace. Here is the concern: as he now sits down to decide what to do about Afghanistan, will this affect his decision? The military is asking for more troops to win the peace but what if Obama now decides that sending more troops will "look" hypocritical for someone who just won the Nobel Peace Prize? Afghanistan is the war that all those on the left were saying we should be devoting our energies to instead of Iraq and now that they are in charge, they are wanting to cut and run again. This award to Obama, at this point, is a joke.

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  74. Thanh

Well, the world doesn't have to love the US, but there's a lot less people who hate Americans, I would say and I think Obama has a lot to do with it. Yes, he only had three big speeches abroad, but it's his policy and efforts that won the award.

While China may be a economic superpower, we still have the upper hand in morals, ethics, and humanitarian causes.

He could definitely use this to leverage the war in Afghanistan. That country may be the keystone to security for that side of the world. Imagine a scenario where we pull out, and the Taliban/al-Qaida declare a second victory over a superpower. That will galvanize their movement and bolster their ranks. Furthermore, if they join forces with the Pakistani Taliban and destabilize Pakistan, I think we'll have a major problem in our hands. We're fighting for peace there now, not revenge, and I think most American dissenters have forgotten or ignored that.

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  75. Brandon in Dallas

I'm thinking about inventing a teleporter this year. I've never invented anything before, but I've talked with a few of my friends about it and they are SUPER stoked. I'll go ahead and have that Nobel Prize in Physics so that I can continue my work. Thanks!

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  76. Leslie

Rollins is simply jealous!

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  77. Darnell

It's amazing that the republicans can never find anything remotely positive about the president!! According to Rollins I guess Obama has to still earn is presidentcy.

October 9, 2009 at 10:40 am |
  78. julius

Wow, nothing out of your mouth.

October 9, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  79. Rudy

This award was as much a slap in the face of our previous President and his policies as much as it was awarded for the direction our current President seems to be going. He basically got the award for not being George Bush and actually making steps towards having America cooperate and work with the other countries instead of swinging our big stick all the time.

October 9, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  80. W. Lionel Williams

It really bothersome when so called journalists ask biased questions and expect objective answers. John Roberts enunciates a standard (three speeches), then expects a partisan commentator for the Republican Party to respond objectively. Couldn't he have stated the standard announced by the Nobel Committee "...his "efforts to strengthen international diplomacy," his "vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons" and for inspiring hope and creating "a new climate in international politics" as stated by CNN, and then have Rollins respond to their reasons for giving the prize?

I am not surprised however, that such is the tact used by Mr. Roberts because that is the approach that is overwhelmingly followed by the news media. It is the media's way of generating controversy on which the media feeds.

It is only to be hoped the schools of journalism are doing a better job in preapring their students.

October 9, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  81. Adam

Who else were nominated?

Anyone that actually DID anything?

October 9, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  82. d. oliver

Face it Mr. Ed....no matter what Obama does, he will NEVER will have
    earned it in your eyes, or any other Conservative's eyes for that matter.

October 9, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  83. LetsGetReal

Congratulations to Pres. Obama are in order. He has people around the world listening to the United States and at least thinking about peaceful solutions to problems and not military ones. But it takes two to tango. The President should not be criticized if peace is not realized in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Kashmir, Israel, Palestine the many countries in Africa. The people of those countries have to want peace themselves and that does not seem to be the case. It is not Obama's fault that the Palestinians and Israelis can't get along or the Shiites and the Sunnis. I can't wait to hear all the negative criticism from the Right about this one.

October 9, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  84. Wilfredo

Republicans don't win it because they are always war-mongering. You could have made an argument with Reagan and the cold war, but what about all of the invasions of Latin American countries and covert operations with people like Ollie North.

October 9, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  85. itchkids

I think that the reaction that Ed Rollins and others in this country are having is typical. The "majority" hell why sugar coat white people are running scared because the most powerful man in the world and the 2009 Noble Peace Prize winner is a black man. Lets face it all this is doing is showing that America has a long way to go when it comes to acceptance especially when it is dealing with race. I want to congratulate President Barack Obama for his efforts so far and his win this morning.

Ed Rollins a Republican might I add is falling victim with his fellow republicans who might I add are looking a bit paranoid and stupid for the campaign that they have started designed to see the president fail. ED ROLLINS NEEDS TO NOTE THAT THIS WAS A UNANIMOUS DECISON BY THE NOBLE COMMITTEE WHO ARE THE AUTHORITIES ON WHO DESERVES THIS AWARD. HIS OPINION DOESNT MATTER.

October 9, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  86. Tom

He should turn it down since he hasn't done anything but talk at this point. Feel sorry for the people that have actually had impact on the world... not just a good speaker. This has further devalued the Nobel Peace Prize.

A shame we will have to wait 50 years to see who submitted his name after only a few weeks in office.

October 9, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  87. Bill

Something good happens in this country, for this country it’s people and president and Ed Rollins has the audacity to jerk into action with the predictable negative comments we have come to expect from men of his ilk and political persuasion.

What has Ed Rollins done to promote peace, prosperity and hope.? Absolutely nothing. Such is the world of 24/7 punditry seeking conflict for ratings. A kinder gesture would to have been to congratulate the President before pouncing and knocking down an entirely good thing.

October 9, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  88. BabyD

I woke up today and instead of going into work I made a conference call. It was such a good call I got "Employee of the Year." My oratory skills are unchallenged and its about time people paid attention to them and not what I get accomplished at work. This guy has the entire world fooled.

October 9, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  89. Alan J

I am so darn sick of these Rupidican windbags who haven't done a thing to stabilize this country economically, socially or diplomatically; yet they won't let this President enjoy not one accomplishment in his life or career. Everything is met with crybaby antics. They look stupid at best. They lie and say they are Patriotic and yet they are seen around the globe laughing and clapping and the loss of the Olympic games in Chicago as a alap in the face of our President and First Lady. Now this? Ed Rollins is an old washed up has been who needs to go on a hunting trip with Cheney and get hit.

October 9, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  90. rick

You have a self centered view of the planet. The rest of the world is not America. He brought Peace to the world because he replaced Bush. Bush was so willing to attack the world. Started a war in Iraq, wouldnt talk with Iran, Korea, Cuba. and was constantly threating to invade some other country to get more oil. Obama came in and said I am willing to talk to you. That brought peace and stablity to the rest of the plant. It's not the "American Peace Prize".

October 9, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  91. Bill

Something good happens in this country, for this country it's people and president and Ed Rollins has the audacity to jerk into action has the predictable negative pundit and person that he is.

What has Ed Rollins done to promote peace, prosperity and hope.? Absolutely nothing. Such is the world of 24/7 punditry seeking conflict for ratings. A kinder gesture would to have been to congratulate the President before pouncing knocking down a good thing.

October 9, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  92. ja

the legislators across party lines need to pull their heads out of the sand and work toward good of the people not corporate special interest that only build wealth, he should have won for health care reform proposal

October 9, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  93. Donald Johnson

At least Rollins is being respectful in his critique of the award going to Barack. Whoohoo... Thats the change I voted for! Congratulations Barack!

October 9, 2009 at 10:30 am |
  94. ZI

Mr. Rollins, I am not a republican nor a democrat but I always read your analysis for I find them mostly objective. But I am sorry to say that your tone has become more right winged recently and you are criticizing the president sometimes unfairly. Don't you see the historic mess created by last eight years of presidency? Don't you recognize the magnitude and complexity of domestic issues? Don't you realize that we are passing through a time for which you'll perhaps not find any parallels in past – in terms of issues and their scope at hand. Yet you run to make quick judgments and want instant solutions. There is no magic bullet Mr. Rollins and this is life. It's not about apologies when you recognize the truth in front of other nations that indeed your country men have messed up. To admit your mistakes and take responsibility makes your greater (though it starves your arrogance). Be fair Mr. Rollins and present solutions if you have guts. Help to solve the problems and don't do what others are doing in senate. Feeling good about being American is not worth much unless you don't live up to values on which this country was founded up. Read History ...Read American History people. This country was founded by peace lovers and not by hate and war mongers. Live up to those values and then you have the right to feel proud of being an American.

October 9, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  95. Dan McLean

Ed, Ed, Ed. Wake up. Obama did not win the Nobel Prize for making promises. He won it for the process. The process of including the world as partners in solving our problems. The process of respecting your neighbours and listening to them. Yes, including them as stakeholders. Go figure. The days of the Bush jingoism, US bullyism, is, for now, over. And the world breathes a sign of relief. Congrats Pres. Obama. The world is with you, even if the Republican pundits try as they will to tear you and your nation down to the lowest common denominator.

October 9, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  96. Mike

Ed, YOU ARE A TOOL! Let's see, what did Obama do to earn this honer? The man brought diplomacy and rationality back to the world stage vs. the insane Republican polices of chauvinistic unilateral actions that only served to create instability, war and tarnish the USAs reputation. I think Obama has earned his honer. What good and honest thing have you given back to the world lately Mr. Republican critic?

October 9, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  97. Ed Sullivan

I totally lost faith in the Nobel Peace Prize

October 9, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  98. Audrey

We should all be so proud that our President won the Nobel prize and brought it to the United States once more.
    But all I am reading is critics complaining. What is wrong with our country?/
    What we must look at is... not only ourselves but with instant communication the world is becoming one and must get along..
    OUr President , elected by the people, recognizes this. We are so fortunate to have an intelligent, positive thinking leader in the White House. Support our Country... Support our President... We will succeed. But not with the nay sayers. Including the GOP no no no group. They do not want Obama to succeed and they are harming our country.
    Congratulations President Obama for bring this wonderful prize to AMERICA> Audrey

October 9, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  99. Journey

I didn't know that the Nobel Peace prize is given out first with the expectation that the recipient will "earn" it afterwards. Are you serious?

October 9, 2009 at 10:07 am |