American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
October 9th, 2009

Rollins: Obama must now 'earn' Nobel Peace Prize

President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a stunning decision that comes just eight months into his presidency.

Ed Rollins questions what President Obama will do to ''earn'' the Nobel Peace Prize.

The decision appeared to catch most observers by surprise. Ed Rollins, CNN political contributor and Republican strategist, says the question now is what does he do with it?

Rollins joined John Roberts and Kiran Chetry on CNN’s “American Morning” Friday. Below is an edited transcript of the interview.

John Roberts: The president has given three significant speeches talking about peace – in Germany, in Cairo, and at the United Nations. He's traveled the world very extensively in the first nine months of his presidency. Could that not be said – and considering too the change in tone – to be worthy of being recognized with the Nobel peace prize?

Ed Rollins: You usually get recognized at the end of some major accomplishment. I think three speeches are a start from his perspective. And I want to congratulate him. I'm always for Americans winning, whether it’s golf, tennis, or the international stage. And it's a lot better Friday than last Friday, when he woke up saying, “We came in fourth.”

I think at this point, the thing I'm curious about is, this is a storybook made-for-TV story. A young senator basically gets elected president after a very short period of time. Nine months into his administration, when the world is still at war – he’s sitting down at a war council today – he gets the Nobel Peace Prize. I mean, if you presented that as a made-for-TV, you probably would get the script rejected.

The key thing I think today is how does he think of himself now? … I'm now a Nobel Peace Prize winner. I've got to go out and make sure I create peace in the world. Not a bad objective. Except, are you as commander in chief basically going to abdicate some of your duties?

Roberts: You are saying that he's been given the award, now he's got to go win it?

Rollins: I think he has to go win it. I think clearly you don’t get the award for three speeches. There's a very strong anti-American sentiment around the world. I think he tapped into that by his apology tours and I think, to a certain extent, he was rewarded for that. I think now at this point in time – Nobel peace prize winner – what does he do with it?

Kiran Chetry: How much does a Nobel Peace Prize matter when you’re sitting in the White House with so many things on your plate domestically?

Rollins: It doesn't create any jobs. It’s not going to get any votes on the health care package. It certainly gives him a prestige on the world stage, but does it make Prime Minister Putin sit down and say, “Gee, this guy is a Nobel Peace Prize winner. I've got to be better to him”?

Chetry: Does it?

Rollins: No, I don't think so. And I think there may be a little jealousy – a little jealousy by some ex-presidents. We talked about Bill Clinton. What does Bill Clinton do at this point in time, who worked very hard to basically reduce nuclear…

Roberts: And came very close to peace in the Middle East.

Rollins: He did. And he worked very hard at it. So I think to a certain extent, once again I congratulate him for it. I'm happy for America. I think the key thing here is what does he do now to go earn it?

Roberts: Clearly, the Nobel committee appeared to award him this prize for the work that he has done so far and the potential for work in the future. And the Nobel committee loves to award people who continue their work. I mean, they gave the peace prize to Al Gore. He didn't say, “That's it, I'm done, thanks.” He continues to work on climate change.

Rollins: And they gave it to Jimmy Carter, a failed presidency, who was rejected overwhelmingly by the public, by Ronald Reagan, who did go out and do a lot for world peace.

Roberts: But Jimmy Carter did manage to broker those Camp David accords. That’s fairly notable.

Rollins: He did but that was not what he got his award for.

Chetry: You noted that no Republicans get the Nobel peace prize.

Rollins: I don't want to say it's anti-Republican or anti-Bush family, per se – except for Teddy Roosevelt, who we all loved. The other part that I think he has to be concerned about, people like Woodrow Wilson who won it, others – some of their presidencies failed.

Roberts: How much of this is just sour grapes on the part of people who complain about the president getting this? Obviously, the Nobel committee took a look at all 205 people who were nominated and said, this person is the most deserving. Why should anybody question what they did?

Rollins: Who was the Nobel committee? And what were the reasons for it? If it was the three speeches, then say that. Is it really that he's built peace in the world or just wants peace in the world? That's the critical question.

Filed under: Politics
  1. Alison

Really? This is a joke. You don't earn the Nobel Peace Prize for talking about peace. You earn it by achieving peace. I doubt that will happen in the next 3 years. I hope that is all the time that we have left to endure this travesty of an administration. And for everyone saying that the previous president had such a negative impact on the world, how about we look at the situations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Apparently, this presidents plans aren't any better than the previous one. There have been more American lives lost since he made the decision to put more troops in Afghanistan. I am not saying that I hate the president, but I do not think that he was a worthy recipient of this prestigious award. Take a look at the past recipients, and look at how their accomplishments stack up to those of Obama. There is no comparison.

October 9, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  2. Mark

Wow, must of been REAL slim pickings this year to award someone just for potentially deserving it in the future, maybe....

October 9, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  3. Judy Lachner

I think this was way too premature. Being an articulate speaker should warrant nothing without the final results. If you take a look at all of the news in Chicago, gangs, children beaten to death, the background of Community Organizer did nothing to stop these actions. I also believe apologizing for America is not the way to go and sends out weak and mixed messages. President Obama may have good intentions but where are the acomplishments?

October 9, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  4. steve jackson

It's a joke. The Nobel Peace Prize has been a joke for many many years. Arafat won for God's sake.

All this will do is further inflate the unwarranted ego of Obama. He has not yet accomplished ANYTHING. Yet his people will throw it around as if it really means anything. Obama needs to check his massive ego, he doesnt need it inflated further

October 9, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  5. C.K. of Colorado

I'm glad for him, but was very surprised. It's too early to tell if he truly earned it so early into his Presidency. Nonetheless, I'm applaud his efforts in promoting world peace. Congratulations Mr. President.

October 9, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  6. Brian - Milwaukee

What a complete and utter joke. This could just as well have gone to an unborn child for all of their contributions to the world.

The NPP has lost all credibility with this error.

Was Pee Wee Herman unavailable for this???

October 9, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  7. Ian

It's amazing to me that no matter what this man does, it's never good enough. President Obama has reach accross racial, religious and gender boundries in an effort to get all people to look beyond the petty hatred and realize that there is more at stake for HUMANITY if change is not accomplished. People continue to vilify him for nonsense and refuse to acknowledge that what he says makes sense to a certain degree.

October 9, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  8. Gretchen

I think he won because the world is so relieved and pleased that the President of the United States wants peace and has promised to work for peace. This is a change from the prior administration. I think his mission won the prize rather than the individual. But, I think our President Obama is very special and will accomplish his objectives and will make huge strides in moving toward a peaceful world.

October 9, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  9. Jeevan

This is very funny!! I love our President...but cmon we did not see him accomplish anything yet? Nobel Prize winner this is a joke ...I would like to see JOBS in this country...People can have normal life..There is always fear on my mind when i wake up..thinking i might get a pink slip..Businesses are down..there is no control on spending...Stimulus has been joke we dont see any big numbers improvement..

October 9, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  10. Vic

Rollins is always on the attack. Can his pieces even be called opinion pieces anymore? Read my lips Rollins, the party you push so hard for FAILED our country MISERABLY (and continues to do so by acting like sore losers). Now its your turn to wait through a couple years with someone else really trying to fix all of our problems.

October 9, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  11. Dave R

This is a joke. At this point in his presidency, Obama has accomplished nothing that qualifies him to win a Nobel Peace prize.

October 9, 2009 at 11:19 am |
  12. Boo

I have nothing against President Obama...... Congrats to him, but what did he do to deserve it??

With this political statement, the Nobel committee greatly reduced the significance of the lifetime achievements of past Nobel Peace Prize winners and lowered the standards for future winners.

October 9, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  13. Ben

I think it's somewhat ridiculous that President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. I'm not saying that he may one day deserve to win it but to give it to him for being "inspiring" is just ludicrous.
    Especially when you look at the fact that many were not inspired or hopeful when President Obama was elected, but weary of a President who promised sweeping change.
    Well so far plenty of Americans have seemed to suddenly disagree with what they thought would be changes for the best.
    Many people seem to think that everyone in America voted for Obama, when the popular vote wasn't even near a landslide victory.

PS Audrey- it is the peoples RESPONSIBILITY to be critical of the President. Democrats did it with President Bush. If the people feel any politician is not enacting the will of the people our government depends on us letting them know. This is the only way Democracy works.

October 9, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  14. Darin

Once again I am sickened by the "free pass" that has been handed to Obama. He has done NOTHING to deserve this. For those of you out there saying "We should support this "great man" and all his potential" I suggest you remove your Obama-colored glasses and ask yourselves – what has he ACTUALLY accomplished? Anything? What are the tangible results of his do-nothing presidency?

Many people dream of peace while few sacrifice anything to make it a reality. Fewer still see their dreams come to fruition. Where is Obama's sacrifice? Where are Obama results? He had been in office for only WEEKS when he was nominated. Was he nominated because of his accompliments or because the Nobel committee is self-admittedly slanted far-left and they rejoice knowing that this brings the United States of America just one more step closer to their socialist "utopia"?

This award is actually the perfect commentary on Obama – an award of entitlement rather than something earned. There was a time in this country when success and recognition for accomplishments had to be EARNED through hard work and sacrifice. Obama has apparently changed that – now it's apparently enough to pretend to greatness...

October 9, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  15. Lilith

The Nobel Peace Prize is as worthless as our president. What is the world coming to when you give "coveted" award to not only a president who has done absolutely NOTHING to earn it, but has also been given to Yasser Arafat?!? Who's next? Hugo Chavez? Osama bin Lauden??? How about Hitler? What a joke. What an embarrassment to the United States. We should rename it the Nobel "something for nothing" prize or Nobel "communist" Prize. What a sham.

October 9, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  16. Steve

Two thumbs up Mr. President! You have a clear understanding that the world stage is not a football game nor about ego.

Peace!

October 9, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  17. Chris

I think that Obama's probably somewhat embarrassed by this as well. It's not like you campaign or apply for a Nobel Peace Prize; this is the work of a committee. In the face of a Republican minority in this country heaping near-unprecedented scorn and hatred on him, the last thing he needs is another target painted on him.

Even as an Obama supporter, I don't think you can say that this award has been earned. I think you're stretching the facts to fit the truth if you want to say that what he's done so far justifies the award. I would have loved to see something like this at the end of a successful presidency, not the beginning.

Tell me, though, what can Obama do now, except humbly accept and promise to try to live up to it? The real test will be of our character as Americans; the patriotic middle path is to be glad that the honor went to our country. However, we'll see a lot of ugliness on both extremes, with some poor winners rubbing it in the faces of their opponents, and a huge outcry of scorn and viciousness from Obama's opponents. That may be the most important judgment on America to come out of this whole mess.

October 9, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  18. Dave9

Wow, that's a slap to the Bush years if I ever saw one, from the cnn article:

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population," it said.

October 9, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  19. John

So the deadline to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize is Feb 1st. Obama must have had a good two weeks then. Fooled me because he has done nothing at all as President.

October 9, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  20. JM

We're both Obama voters and our reaction is......"for what"? The man has offered to talk, and does talk a lot himself, but really? The idolitry has to take a back seat at this point to serious action and RESULTS...to much talk and way too little action at this point. The Nobel committee lost A LOT CREDIBILITY with this selection. Hopefully he backs up the words pretty soon, with RESULTS.

October 9, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  21. Jim Windham

Given the recent history of this prize, it should have been no surprise that Obama was the awardee this year. Think of Arafat, Carter, etal–this selection simply continues the slide to irrelevance for this once prestigious award. As Hillary Clinton often said during the campaign, "he gave a speech", which is the sum total of his accomplishment to date.

October 9, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  22. Hella Betts

I am sure he has a "Dream" but he is not proven yet. A Nobel prize I thought was for proven accomplishments.

October 9, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  23. Pascal

This is a complete farce! It's like giving out an Olympic Gold medal to an athlete prior to the competition! What Peace treaty has he signed as President to win such a prize? Getting a prize like this one makes sense when your name is Nelson Mandela with a history behind you that support the win.

October 9, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  24. Mac

As I see it this cheapens the Nobel Prize. First they give it to Yasser Arafat who was considered a Terrorist by most standards. It seems any one who talks of "Peace" and makes a few speeches would get this? President Obama has "NOT" accomplished anything at this point. His name had to have been put in to the hat even before he was elected President. What had he done in September or October of 2008 that would have deserved this? Talk? Preach? I guess awards are given for Any One?

October 9, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  25. Jamie Haeuser

I am celebrating that an American won this prize, that America is stepping up to lead for peace instead of war, that we now have increased standing on the world stage to stand up to Iran and North Korea and Burma with moral authority. To the critics – just take a breath and celebrate our nation and all it stands for.

October 9, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  26. jersey girl

It is a tremendous honor for President Obama and , more importantly, for out country. I am proud of him and proud of the United States.

October 9, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  27. Realist

I think I almost threw up when I saw he won....you have got to be kidding me....reading a teleprompter gets you a Nobel Prize? And the nomination process occurred prior to him even starting his term? What a joke...

October 9, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  28. Ray

Think of it this way guys, Your REPUBLICAN President had such a NEGATIVE affect on our WORLD, that the nobel peace prize commitee is willing to acknowledge the courage of a man who's willing to put forth the dedication and resilience towards cleaning up YOUR President's screw ups, WITHOUT those actions even being accomplished yet!!!! Far fetched?...Maybe. But I guess the excitement of having a President who actually has our well being at heart, still hasn't grown old!!!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  29. Jeanette

No offense to President Obama as I consider him a good person, but I thought the Nobel Peace Prize was suppose to award a person for a huge success in attaining a positive step towards gaining world peace. I don't see that President Obama has done anything at all that resembles this process. Does it not diminish the reverence and significance of the award to just give it out for no reason.

October 9, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  30. Bob

You have got to be kidding me >>"extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." Is that what you call it when he criticizes the US when abroad.

October 9, 2009 at 11:14 am |
  31. Jim

Our president won the award and some people are still complaining. It just doesn't make sense just like when Chicago lost the olympics and some Americans were cheering. These critics belong to a mental institution. GO OBAMA, nobody can stop you!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  32. BIll

I am so very proud of my President. I finally have my country back again because of him, and I am not giving it back. This will surely result in sour grapes for the GOP and its followers.

Congratulations Mr. President.

October 9, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  33. Jessica

Audrey, thank you so much for that wonderful comment! I, too, am very proud of our President. He has been, and continues to be, an amazing inspiration to us all. My hope for this country and our role to do good in global matters has finally been restored with President Obama.
    Congratulations, Mr. President. May God bless you and guide you throughout your presidency, as well as give you strength and courage to continue on your wonderful path!

October 9, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  34. Juan Suero

I mean the Health Care Reform policy

October 9, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  35. Chris

The Nobel Peace Prize is not like Soccer's World Cup or Golf's Ryder Cup or gold medals at the olympics; it is not won on behalf of a nation. It is won by a person or persons for exceptional strides and accomplishment in advancing peace in the world. This notion that President Obama "brought" the Nobel Peace prize back to the United States is inaccurate and incorrect. Should one of the nominees from China have won for advancing peace, the same would hold true. Read Alfred Nobel's original definition of a deserving candidate and then really consider whether a President who hasn't accomplished much in the advancement of peace yet is worthy of this year's award.

October 9, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  36. Victoria

Audrey, where is your depth, darlin??? Are you serious when you say the world is becoming one? Yes BO is our saviour and will end all wars! Get real!!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  37. Alvaro

What a joke. I think we should all be rewarded with cookies and gold stars for the wonderful promises we have made and have yet to live up to.

October 9, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  38. Juan Suero

By the way the Congressional Budget Office just announced that the stimulus package will actually shave the deficit.

October 9, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  39. Joel

He won because Obama's name was the only one the Nobel Committee recognised on the list of nominees. Like they would recognise some Afghan or Chinese dissident who places their lives on the line daily to bring peace.

October 9, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  40. ARL

In a precarious time when the slightest provocation could ignite a global conflict, his actions changed the tone and so far has difused the situation. It's not resolved, but he has dramatically and positively changed the worlds perception of America

October 9, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  41. Bernie

Peace is more than just giving speeches. It is about work towards diplomatic meetings and agreements. It is about getting on the telephone, sending letters and having diplomats meet internationally. That work cannot be done alone.

With the past eight years of the 'cold shoulder war', Barack Obama has re-opened diplomatic channels that had been closed – shut tight by George W. Bush with his "Evil" speeches, his great reluctance to get the Palestinians and Israelis to meet...

And, already, he's worked more than George W. Bush did in all of his eight years of the Presidency.

October 9, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  42. Mike

I would have to agree with Mr. Rollins. I do not feel that Mr. Obama has done anything significant to bring about a lasting change in world attitude towards global peace, and that this award was done for political reasons instead of keeping with the true spirit of the criteria for the award. I only hope that what is given to him in anticipation of good works yet to come does not turn into a debacle if Mr. Obama cannot deliver on his potential promises.

October 9, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  43. Jim

This shows how political the Noble Peace prize is. First Al Gore and now Obama? The Nobel Peace price no longer has any significance or meaning. It appears as if they will give one to just about any one whether they deserve it or not. This was clearly not deserved.

October 9, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  44. Annaberri

Actions speak louder than words. I was no Clinton fan, but he deserves this prize 10 times more than Obama for his efforts in the Middle East. We're criticizing Obama because of real reasons, not because we just love dividing the country. I don't like the insinuation that criticizing this president is divisive, but criticizing the last one was the popular thing to do. Obama needs to actually do something, not just talk.

October 9, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  45. Steve, NYC, NY

I've lost quite a lot of respect for the Nobel Peace Prize. This was definitely early and once again shows the World is obsessed with this Rock Star.

October 9, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  46. Durga Arikapalli

I think, Obama should refuse to accept this Nobel Peace prize bestowed on him, humbly and give it to the right person who deserves it . There are many people in this world who scarified their lives to help humanity, saved lives and still going on without expecting any rewards.
    President Obama did so far speak lot of times about Hope & Peace but , has not proved anything yet. He should realize that he is not yet ready for the honour.
    This decision looks more political than genuine appreciation.
    By refusing and suggesting the right winner for the prize, he will be proving himself as a leader who has the courage to show flaws to then Noble Committe in its decision , and guide them in to right path.

I beleive Obama has that quality in him as he says his ideal her is Gandhiji many times. If Gandhi were given the prize when he was in Tolstoy Farm still ( which was 40 years earlier to winning Independence for India ), he would have done the same.

October 9, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  47. Juan Suero

selected for his "vision" and inspiring "hope" at the beginning of his presidency.

"For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman,"

October 9, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  48. David

It scares me to death that so many leftist crazy loons seem to fawn all over this obama fellow.. And a growing number of our real allies are feeling betrayed by him..

Very interesting... I think there is a definate world agenda that this guy can be manipulated.. and he probably will be..

October 9, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  49. mike

I think the issue here is the timing. It is so early in his presidency, that I think this will actually diminish the value of the prize. I firmly believe that, given his goals, he would at some point been considered for and awarded the prize, but his is kid of like putting the cart before the horse. he has a big job ahead of him, and some very lofty goals, but this seems more like an award in anticipation of what he will do, rather than as a recognition of significant accomplishments. I think he should have humbly declined the award. It would have boosted his capital, and his ability to work for peace even more than accepting it. In fact, I think this might actually hamper his efforts. Too bad.

October 9, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  50. OaklandTracy

Cleaning up after 8 years of Bush II, almost 30 years of Reaganomics, and trying to engage the new Republican "Party of No" – Barack has already earned the Nobel.

October 9, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  51. V.J.

What is wrong with the republicans..everything is political..They should be proud that Obama won the peace prize. He won on the basis of his many efforts in the short run of his presidency to drill some sense in this world, that we can live peacefully irrespective of our religion,color or creed.
    The man is a good ,intelligent & caring human being..Give him a break & support him to achieve prosperity for average Americans..

But as always Republicans will never do that, but after all they are just a bunch of poor losers...

October 9, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  52. Jill

Is there such a thing as "earning" a Nobel Peace Prize? How do you select the most deserving peron in the world?

Evidently all of the skeptics would have preferred to see someone else get the award, but to my knowledge, the Committee gets to choose whomever they want, doesn't have to be the most accomplished person, however people choose to define that. I'm sure he's not the only one who "deserves" it, but he happened to be the one selected by the Committee. Why can't we be happy about that?

Maybe the Committee decided to recognize him for the challenges he's addressing – not hiding from – on the international scene, while dealing with incredible challenges on the domestic scene. I have no problem with that. Lots of people are doing lots of great things in the world, and he's one of them.

October 9, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  53. Ben

There is nothing peaceful about Aghanistan escalation, threats to bomb Iran, and the continuance of turning a blind eye to the Palestinian plight through overwhelming support for Israel. I think the peace prize lost its luster after Al Gore, with all his carbon emissions, won it for his fight against global warming. The prize should have gone to one of the dissidents under consideration who have spent their lives suffering for justice and equality. I just don't get it. Ron Paul would have been a better choice if the nominating commitee wants to put an American politician in there.

October 9, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  54. Carol

This is a joke right? I am going to wake up from this dream and find out that some deserving person has been awarded the Nobel peace prize. It cannot possibly be true that President Obama has won. What in the world has he done to deserve it? All I see is a man who loves to put himself out in front of us to deliver some type of daily message. I agree that he will now have to "earn" this award but I don't believe he is capable of doing so. He is all talk and no action!

October 9, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  55. gwen

We should be all so very proud of our president, but instead we have got the right wing already critizing. Those people are so full of crap that they should all be flushed down the tiolet. It is almzaing that they would take a moment like this and put their their negative spin on it!!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  56. Mario A. Rojas

Dear Ed,

Sorry but your arguments are weak. President Obama needs to continue doing what he is already doing so there is no need to earn it. Doing the opposite of the Bush-Chaney and Republican party administration earns him just that , the Nobel Peace Prize. It is amazing that you can't set aside your partisan retoric even for such a historic event. You have just confirmed our belief that the republican party represent the party of war. Oh by the way, I am an independent.

Mario A. Rojas MD, MPH

October 9, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  57. Dave

I think the committee members were on drugs when voting time came around. I can picture them now throwing all 205 names in a hat and drawing a name and it happened to be Obama. No other reason. There were a ton of individuals nominated that deserved it more than he. The rest of the world are all so "tickled pink" that he got the award too. Can you see them dancing in the streets in other countries? This award use to be a prestigous award, it has become a joke around the world after this announcement... I really wouldn't have a problem with Obama winning it if he had actually done something to earn it. Be real people, he hasn't earned it! If you think he has, please show me a list of "Accomplishments" he has since becoming president . I know of not one as of this date.

October 9, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  58. Tom M

The nobel peace prize just became a marginalized relic = see grammys.

Is this the first politically correct nobel prize ever given out?

October 9, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  59. Grant

I think this article is right. He hasn't done anything. What happens if he gets the USA in World War III before his term is over? Do you take it away?

This may backfire and appear as arrogance by the Americans again. Our President is getting rewarded for not doing any work. I guess that mirrors his welfare policy.

October 9, 2009 at 11:07 am |
  60. Censorship in Practice form at CNN--S Callahan NYS

Well, at least we now know that Isaiah was not dellusional, nor all the other writers of the Bible.....you're seeing the truth right before your eyes..open them!

I don't belittle anyone for getting congratulatoins.....but premature...now that is just not right....

October 9, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  61. John C

Rollins can’t understand this award because he can’t understand anything. The party he supported put a dark cloud over the whole world. The country the world looked to for guidance and to be a moral compass had stumbled and become a threat to the safety of the word because of the ignorance of the policies and actions we adapted under the Bush administration. President Obama, and his election to President based on his beliefs that America is better than we were acting, has shown the world that there is hope, we do get it and we are not all the “shoot from the hip cowboys” that we had become. He denounced torture, profit war, illegal wiretaps, rendition, and illegal arrests on day one. He showed the entire world that America still is the great and wonderful country that the world can look up to. Just when it looked like we were lost, he brought “HOPE” back to the world that America was not blind to the defects of the rightwing agenda. We may not be perfect, we may have stumbled and lost our way, but we are back on the path that the world can follow in peace. Those that don’t understand that, don’t understand this award, this country or what makes our nation great.

October 9, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  62. Roger

This is so premature and laughable. He has just begun his presidency and is now about to send more troops to Afghanistan. What was that committee on? More and more the peace prize is becoming a political tool and nothing more.

October 9, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  63. Ryan

Rollins is absolutely right. Yes, it's great that an American won. Yes, Obama has made some efforts to reconcile America with other countries (and other countries with each other).

He has not, however, made "extraordinary efforts" in my view. He has made SOME efforts, but I don't think his efforts at this point are Nobel-worthy.

What was President Obama's major accomplishment to bring about world peace? A few good speeches? Come on...

October 9, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  64. Claudia

What is wrong with people. President Obama took over after and 8 year disaster. We went from a huge surplus to a huge deficit, 2 wars, economic disaster and everyone seems to think he can fix it all in 8 months. He is intelligent, sincere, dedicated and compassionate. Give him time.....Our problems can't be fixed overnight. As for the Peace Prize, he has brought respect back to the US and is urging peace with everyone.

October 9, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  65. Credbilitylost

Obama was nominated for the Nobel two weeks into his Presidency, no accomplishments, just a lot of talk. 8 months later, what has he done for regional, world or international peace? Nothing. Gave a few speeches, no accomplishments in the Middle East, zero elsewhere. Oh, but he did refuse to meet with one of the premier emissaries of peace and human rights, the Dalai Lama because he did not want to offend China. Of course, no mention that he and Hillary criticized Bush for attending the Olympics in China because of the situation in Tibet. The Nobel has become a joke. Out of the 80+ nominations, Obama was number #79 on the list in actual accomplishments. Is this supposed to be the consolation prize for not getting the Olympics?

October 9, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  66. Faith

Congratulations President OBAMA. You deserve this award just for having to deal with the racism in this country. Rollins wants to know who is on this award committee? I can guarantee..racist are not allowed.
    Rollins doesnt mind congratulating black people for getting the award for a sport...(as Rollins stated in the interview "golf,tennis, international stage) but I guess he thinks it is wrong when a black president receives the award. How can you not be happy for the President of this Country!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  67. Real American

We are seeing how Chicago corrupt politics and socialist eurocrats are working against American interests overseas by awarding elitist awards to our peace monger in chief.
    We can hardly wait for 2012 to put a pro American conservative in the White House and get the world to respect us again.

October 9, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  68. John C

Rollins can't understand this award because he can't undertand anything. The party he supported put a dark cloud over the whole world. The country the world looked to for guidance and to be a moral compas had stumbled and become a threat to the saftey of the word because of the ingorance of the policies and actions we adapted under the Bush administration. President Obman, and his election to President based on his beleifs that America is better than we where acting, has shown the world that there is hope, we do get it and we are not all the "shoot from the hip cowboys" that we had become. He denounced torture, profit war, ilegal wiretaps, redition, and ilegal arrests on day one. He showed the entire world that America still is the great and wonderful country that the world can look up to. Just when it looked like we where lost, he brought "HOPE" back to the world that America was not blind to the defects of the rightwing agenda. We may not be perfect, we may have stumbled and lost our way, but we are back on the path that the world can follow in peace. Those that don't understand that, don't understand this award, this country or what makes our nation great.

October 9, 2009 at 11:05 am |
  69. Dave

Rollins have some coffee and WAKE-UP! HE ALREADY WON IT!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  70. Tony

It is inspiring and incredibly hopeful to see that by reviving the US' role true diplomacy, the Nobel committee recognizes the stride forward that has been taken. Our placenon the world, as Americans and members of the global community has been re-elevated and holds further promise. Well done Mr President.

October 9, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  71. Weepy

ALWAYS and for as long as I can remember the Nobel Prize was an award given to the most outstanding in various categories. BUT, with awarding the prize to Mr. Obama, I now realize it really stands for NOTHING! Who are these foreigners who don't understand what an empty shell we have for the leader of our country. What is this WORLD coming to???

October 9, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  72. Ken in NC

You know, when the President was nominated, no one complained or objected then. Only after he has won the award for Peace is he attacked. People you need to stop and think for a moment. President Obama did not seek, request, nor did he apply for the Nobel Peace Prize. he won it because the group that makes the selection chose to give it to him. Deserve it or not, accept it and be proud that our nation has been recognized for something other than wars and mass killings around the world. Give it a rest people. I say that knowing full well that as long as President Obama is our President there will be that group of people that are willing to see our nation fall rather than accept and or support him as our President. Well that's sad but be it know to you all that there are those of us that are willing to keep our country together so we can all live in a free world and that includes the people that want to see our country collaspe.

October 9, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  73. Victoria Bollan

I love the fact that people are happy that he brought the Nobel peace prize to America again...really? Grow up. That prize is meant to honor someone who has made a difference, what has Obama done? Our men are still in the Middle East, The Patriot act just got renewed, and Guantanamo Bay is still open that sounds like a very peaceful nation right? He's the same as Bush he's changed nothing, He does not deserve this award, plus he was nominated before he became president!!!!! POLITICAL MOVE ANYONE?

October 9, 2009 at 11:04 am |
  74. Ramu

I congratulate Obama for his victory. Obviously Nobel committee (250 members) nominated Obama for this. America, be pound of it. I am NOT why everyone start criticizing Obama, all you guys can see is just the three speeches, I see the timing and the content of the speech and the message to the world.
    Stop letting down the president support him, he is very smart and great leader.

October 9, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  75. cw

What has he done to deserve this? Pelosi should have gotten it before he did, at least she's vocally anti-war. It's made a mockery of the whole Peace Prize, but then didn't they give it to Peanut Farmer Carter too. If he had any backbone we wouldn't be in the current situation with Iran. He was the worst president until Bush II came along. Maybe BHO can sell it and feed all the jobless and homeless people in the USA. Or better yet, humbly decline it and then do something to actually earn it.

October 9, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  76. craig

SO Obama is blamed and seen negatively for losing the Olympics and for winning the Nobel peace prize? Give me a break. You don't earn something once you have won it. He is already an accomplished man and will continue to accomplish more. The proper response, Democrat and Republican alike, would have been disappointment at not getting the Olympics and pride for getting the Nobel.

October 9, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  77. Bobby

Give me a break Audrey, Obama winning the prize has nothing to do with people supporting him or the USA. He did not deserve to win it, he hasn't even done anything. Obama will not be our president when the next elecetion comes around. I already know many peoiple who voted for him are now saying they made an error. Only reason why he won is because of his McCain being a poor choice to run against him.

October 9, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  78. Tom Bachman

Obviously, it's based on his campaign speeches, as nominations closed on 1/31/2009, I believe. We can all hope he IS successful in the quest for peace, but no one deserves it with no real accomplishments other than beating weak candidates for his elected offices. Given some of the past winners.....this has become more a publicity prize than any real award for peace-making.

October 9, 2009 at 11:03 am |
  79. Gerry

President Obama's maturing as a national and international leader is still underway. Serving in the shadow of this award must summarily alter his thinking. He now has the tremendous burden of deciding our future in the context of this award and supposed world opinion. For example, how does the peace prize winner commit 40,000 more troops to Afganistan which may be the best path to securring that country and defeating Al Quada. If the last option, bombing Iran to prevent that nuclear proliferation (for which he was cited by the committee) is the only remaining option, how will his judgement be swayed by his perception to live up to the committee's view of what this prize means. No doubt Obama views this as an affirmation of his foreign policies. He won't see that it subtly locks him in to certain dangerous directions. I want a president capable of clear, rational thinking that is unconstrained by an imagined obligation to live up to the committee's expectation. I fear that the president's ego and his advisors will not let this happen. I can appreciate efforts for world peace, but this award does nothing to remind him that he is president of the United States, not the world. This award was not a good idea and will leave a dangerous legacy.

October 9, 2009 at 11:02 am |
  80. Madhu

No Obama hasn't earned it yet but again This is the commitee who gave peace prize to Yasser Arafat who invented hijacking but did not give it to Gandhi.

What else can we expect.

Madhu

Cary
    NC

October 9, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  81. mike

I'm a huge Obama supporter. I think he's being unfairly criticized for a lot of things. But this Nobel prize award is completely undeserved at this point. It will also hurt Obama domestically, though it's not like the repubs were about to become respectful and bipartisan anyway. The only saving grace is that it wasn't Obama's choice to win - otherwise it would be his "Mission Accomplished" moment.

October 9, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  82. Michael

The President does not deserve this prize and the honorable thing would be to decline it. He has done nothing so far for world peace. Nice thoughts and speeches really don't count. This award is a slap in the face to every prior winner who actually deserved it. Does any reasonable reader here think President Obama's accomplishments so far are in the same league as Mother Teresa, Doctors Without Borders, Amnesty International, Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu etc?

October 9, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  83. Hans G

while some may see the Nobel Przie Award as being presented to President Obama as premature, it may be that we do not see what the world is seeing in him. looking from the outside in, he has dramaticly changed the perception of Americans for the better and given us hope. i think it is a very positive notion and should so also perceived by Americans

October 9, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  84. Brenda

AMEN Audrey – I couldn't have said it better. I'm so sick of people complaining about Obama – at least he's trying and working really hard. Even Gates said that he likes working with Obama (and he's a Bushie) that he's intelligent, considers all view points and sides before making a decision. But the press / republicans go after him for taking a trip to try to get the olympics in Chicago – or to NY for a play when Bush had more vacations than ANYONE should have. He'd already had several by this stage in his presidency – and mind you 9/11 happened, but that didn't keep him from his vacations. See – I said I couldn't say it better than you. Whew – thanks for letting me rant!

October 9, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  85. John

Hmmm, after reading a few of these statements I am puzzled. Everyone appears to simply trust in the work of a couple hundred Nobel Peace Prize committee members. However, where are they? They are on the other side of the globe. They have little to no knowledge as to how things are domestically in the United States. Unemployment is rampant throughout the country, and government spending is atrociously high. If they gave Obama the award solely based on three speeches, they should have seriously reconsidered.
    I want our country to succeed. Of course this is an accomplishment. But there are so many more deserving people who have done good throughout their entire lives, unlike our new nine-month-in president.

October 9, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  86. Joe in DFW

Ed Rollins has never done anything in his life except shill for the rich and powerful. I'm not even sure he understands what the Nobel Prize is about. In any event, he's in no position to be lecturing the President on this.

October 9, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  87. Peaches Sims

Now I realize that the Nobel Peace Prize is meaningless. This is ridiculous to award someone who has accomplished absolutely nothing a peace prize.

October 9, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  88. Devo

He gets a peace prize but doesn't meet with the Dalai Lama when he comes to Washington DC because he doesn't want to upset the Chinese. Interesting... Doesn't look like he is spreading world Diplomacy to me. What a joke!

October 9, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  89. ceth

@Audrey. You say congratulations for bringing the award back to the U.S. like it;s some kind of competition and not an award for achievment.You talk like its ok that he has yet to do anything to earn it becuase you think he will earn it in the future. Thats like giving the World Cup to the U.S. Soccer team in the first round before all of the games have been played simply because you are pretty sure they are going to be the best team anyways. you have to do things to earn this stuff.

October 9, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  90. B-Rad

Congratulations to Obama's teleprompter, because it's done all the work!

October 9, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  91. Concerned82nd

Nonsense! I've no idea what's going on but it sounds like a sham to me. How in the world does one win a Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing?

There are sooo many more deserving people of this prize. From global aid workers, who have given their lives to the "meek", to others who have highlighted the plights and tribulations of the same people.

Obama will use this money for democratic campaigns, while those truly deserving to be be Nobel laureates would spend it on their humanitarian causes.

Good job Nobel committee; you just cheapened the value of the prize!

October 9, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  92. Robert W.

Well, It appears the committee would like Obama reelected next time and this is the only way they can help. Seems like they would have waited until he was successful at achieving some kind of peace somewhere before giving the award. I like peace, everybody be nice to each other! Can I have the prize now?

October 9, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  93. Jason LePard

Hey, it's great Obama won the award...but let's be honest, there were many others who deserved this award that have put there talk into action. This award seems very premature but hopefully he will take it and prove that he's earned it.

October 9, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  94. David in Tucson

The "Party of NO" (that means you too, Ed) needs to get over itself. The President is bringing us something real to be proud of, instead of the false pride of the Bush Presidency.

America and Americans need to be able to have pride in something other than "We kick ass!".

It's been a while since I was proud to be an American for something besides our past. Let me tell you what I was told when GWB was at the helm: "If you cannot get behind our duly elected President, you should look for a home where the politics suit you better."

October 9, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  95. elroy

I realy think President Obama has a lot of potential but, it is just that, potential. The Peace Prize now is premature and not earned. I really agree that this will put pressure on him to "earn" the award he's already received, additional pressure that has far mor potential to work against rather than for his success

October 9, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  96. Kenny

I'm a big fan of Obama, and have great hopes in what he might be able to accomplish, but this is just so very wrong. This award must be earned for achievements made, not for what if's and maybe's in the future.

He should graciously decline the award. I have confidence Obama will one day earn it, but not at this time.

October 9, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  97. Agnes

What is wrong with the republicans? President Obama is an inspiring world fugure, He challenges us to be better, to embrance what people have in common instead of focusing on what sets people apart or are at odds with. The US should take the lead in this area for world peace. The nobel peace prize committee are obviously forward thinkers. The republicans on the other hand, are stuck in the past. They just do not want to see what is possible with the Obama presidency, they just want to ruin it, no matter what, where its on climate change, green jobs, health care and the wars we are currently engaged in. They just take the opposite view, but offer no specifics, no cooperation. They are a terrible party and un-american!

October 9, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  98. carol kesling

rollins, you are a loser !!!!!!!!!!! @ audrey "WELL SAID" , icould not agree more.........

October 9, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  99. karkri

People like Rollins are the reason the Republicans are still fighting for an identity. When you win, you congratulate and celebrate. When you lose (after a good fight), you get up and move on. The typical loser mentality (Rollins') is to keep digging into past (like mentioning "last Friday") in why the neo-cons will lose again in 2012. And this guys calls himself a "strategist"?

October 9, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  100. Ben in Texas

Two big groups complaining about Obama winning the prize (which, surely, you can't blame Obama for) are: Republicans and Al-Qaida. Both of those groups loved Bush.

We know why Al-Qaida loved Bush. They rightly credit him with vastly improving their recruitment efforts. And, he looked the other way as they planned and executed the 911 attacks. However, no one seems to understand why Repugnants supported Bush. After all, he brought their party to its knees. Maybe they loved him for his short-term accomplishment of shoveling money to his fat-cat friends, the richest 1% of the country.

October 9, 2009 at 10:56 am |