American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
October 9th, 2009

Rollins: Obama must now 'earn' Nobel Peace Prize

President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a stunning decision that comes just eight months into his presidency.

Ed Rollins questions what President Obama will do to ''earn'' the Nobel Peace Prize.

The decision appeared to catch most observers by surprise. Ed Rollins, CNN political contributor and Republican strategist, says the question now is what does he do with it?

Rollins joined John Roberts and Kiran Chetry on CNN’s “American Morning” Friday. Below is an edited transcript of the interview.

John Roberts: The president has given three significant speeches talking about peace – in Germany, in Cairo, and at the United Nations. He's traveled the world very extensively in the first nine months of his presidency. Could that not be said – and considering too the change in tone – to be worthy of being recognized with the Nobel peace prize?

Ed Rollins: You usually get recognized at the end of some major accomplishment. I think three speeches are a start from his perspective. And I want to congratulate him. I'm always for Americans winning, whether it’s golf, tennis, or the international stage. And it's a lot better Friday than last Friday, when he woke up saying, “We came in fourth.”

I think at this point, the thing I'm curious about is, this is a storybook made-for-TV story. A young senator basically gets elected president after a very short period of time. Nine months into his administration, when the world is still at war – he’s sitting down at a war council today – he gets the Nobel Peace Prize. I mean, if you presented that as a made-for-TV, you probably would get the script rejected.

The key thing I think today is how does he think of himself now? … I'm now a Nobel Peace Prize winner. I've got to go out and make sure I create peace in the world. Not a bad objective. Except, are you as commander in chief basically going to abdicate some of your duties?

Roberts: You are saying that he's been given the award, now he's got to go win it?

Rollins: I think he has to go win it. I think clearly you don’t get the award for three speeches. There's a very strong anti-American sentiment around the world. I think he tapped into that by his apology tours and I think, to a certain extent, he was rewarded for that. I think now at this point in time – Nobel peace prize winner – what does he do with it?

Kiran Chetry: How much does a Nobel Peace Prize matter when you’re sitting in the White House with so many things on your plate domestically?

Rollins: It doesn't create any jobs. It’s not going to get any votes on the health care package. It certainly gives him a prestige on the world stage, but does it make Prime Minister Putin sit down and say, “Gee, this guy is a Nobel Peace Prize winner. I've got to be better to him”?

Chetry: Does it?

Rollins: No, I don't think so. And I think there may be a little jealousy – a little jealousy by some ex-presidents. We talked about Bill Clinton. What does Bill Clinton do at this point in time, who worked very hard to basically reduce nuclear…

Roberts: And came very close to peace in the Middle East.

Rollins: He did. And he worked very hard at it. So I think to a certain extent, once again I congratulate him for it. I'm happy for America. I think the key thing here is what does he do now to go earn it?

Roberts: Clearly, the Nobel committee appeared to award him this prize for the work that he has done so far and the potential for work in the future. And the Nobel committee loves to award people who continue their work. I mean, they gave the peace prize to Al Gore. He didn't say, “That's it, I'm done, thanks.” He continues to work on climate change.

Rollins: And they gave it to Jimmy Carter, a failed presidency, who was rejected overwhelmingly by the public, by Ronald Reagan, who did go out and do a lot for world peace.

Roberts: But Jimmy Carter did manage to broker those Camp David accords. That’s fairly notable.

Rollins: He did but that was not what he got his award for.

Chetry: You noted that no Republicans get the Nobel peace prize.

Rollins: I don't want to say it's anti-Republican or anti-Bush family, per se – except for Teddy Roosevelt, who we all loved. The other part that I think he has to be concerned about, people like Woodrow Wilson who won it, others – some of their presidencies failed.

Roberts: How much of this is just sour grapes on the part of people who complain about the president getting this? Obviously, the Nobel committee took a look at all 205 people who were nominated and said, this person is the most deserving. Why should anybody question what they did?

Rollins: Who was the Nobel committee? And what were the reasons for it? If it was the three speeches, then say that. Is it really that he's built peace in the world or just wants peace in the world? That's the critical question.

Filed under: Politics
  1. Nannette

Talk is one thing but what has been accomplished. Talk does not deserve an award, it should have been based on accomplishments of which he doesn't have any yet. This belittle's the award.

October 9, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  2. John

Well, I agree that a little effort in the workup would have been great before he was awarded the prize. However, who gives a crap what all of us think. He won it, let it go.

October 9, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  3. Rich

It's going to look really nice on the mantle next to his Emmy and Oscar. The three speeches don't play a part in this, because the application had to be submitted 11 days into his Presidency. I've got to get app in for next year

October 9, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  4. Andy

I think it is great that he got it, but dissagree with him being chosen. The biggest protest on the white house on september 12, 2009 was made. Was that peace? They were all against Obama. Yes he has done some great things, but why wont the main stream media cover the true stories? Why does the mainstream media care about a comedian talking about Obama? Aren't we free to say what we want? I think and it is my opinion that the government needs to take a step back and let us the people take care of the economy. Enough of this keynesian economics.

October 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  5. J.T.

From a historical standpoint: Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson and Jimmy Carter were rewarded for tangible results. My grandma used to have a saying about "wishing in one hand..." - wishing for change doesn't get it done.

Rollins is correct in his assessment of Reagan. He helped to end communist control of Eastern Europe - but I guess that isn't important; especially to socialist Europeans.

And why do we care what the world thinks of us? I have to allow a woman to cover her head but I can't have a Bible in most Muslim countries. Let me repeat: Why do we care what the world thinks of us?

Finally, could you learn to spell and use correct grammar before you pontificate on the error of republicans and the wonder of President Obama? It tends to weaken your argument.

October 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  6. AnnapolisRon

Name me one thing he has done to deserve the Nobel! He's made a lot of promises he has not delivered on yet, but no way he deserves this prize yet! The Nobel is running the course of the UN now... Not relevant!

October 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  7. Arthur Hatch

Why after all the nay sayers criticising the president, now they want to ostracise him for this honor. This is not just about the president but about the American people getting (it) right for electing him.

October 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  8. Doug

Obama just won the Nobel Peace Prize but he refused to meet another Nobel Peace Prize winner, the Dalai Lama. Interesting!

October 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  9. jan

What the hell???????
    Personally, all who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan should share in the Nobel Peace Prize...not just one person, and certainly NOT Obama.
    I am a lifelong Democrat, and I voted for Obama only because McCain was running against him. Other than the disgraceful GW, Obama has as much presidential experience as a walnut.
    I guess people's expectation of real peacemaking efforts have to mirror the desperation of the word around them. Bill Clinton has recently earned more for a peace prize. Shame on the committee. This minority pandering has got to stop.

October 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  10. Dave

Without trying to be disrespectful, what has President Obama done? Internationally, he has teamed up with dictators and thugs. He has betrayed Eastern Europe. He has not solved the Cuban prisoner issue, cannot make a decision in Afghanistan, and he has maintained the same policies in Iraq. He is turning a blind eye to Iran's nuclear weapons program. Domestically, it is the same situation or worse. The SNL skit was right to point out his inability to get things done so far. Our deficits and debt have mushroomed under his leadership. I cannot believe people admire his policies at all!

October 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  11. george cook

THANK YOU FOR ADDING MY COMMENT. APPRECIATED.
    GEORGE

October 9, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  12. Montana

OK, so if President Obama doesn't deserve this award, can you tell me who else should have received it? And you can only pick one, just like the Nobel Committee.

October 9, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  13. Alan J

Yeah SA World peace something you and Bush can't even pronounce

October 9, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  14. OfficerLD

Congratulations Mr. President! It should not matter what political affilation you are with Barack Obama is currently the sitting president of the United States and he won the Nobel Peace Prize and we should be proud and congratulate him for this award and bringing it the Nobel Peace Prize to the United States of American. I am in awe about how "WE" as a country are so negative and just can not congratulate the man and leave it at that. Why are we analyzing why did he get it? The fact of the matter is that he did and other people of different countries and nationalities thought he was deserving of it so that is why they unanimously voted for him. Again, congratulations Mr. President on your award and I look forward to your role in helping create peace in this world.
    -A Proud American:-)

October 9, 2009 at 11:38 am |
  15. Skip

For the first time in my life, I see an unstable America polarized in truly scary ways. 50% of our country fears the government.........

And now.... the Noble Peace Price after 2 weeks in office.

This is a sad, joke.... I mean seriously.....

How long can you vote against Bush before it becomes laughable.

October 9, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  16. James

It wasn't just three speeches. It was cancelling the Bush's provocative missile system in the Czech Republic, re-engaging Iran in dialog, winding down our involvement in Iraq, restarting of the US's involvement in enviromental protection and re-establishing the US's adherence to the Geneva accords, winding down Gitmo. The committee is swayed by the powerful using diplomacy before tanks. Imagine that!

Obama must succeed on these fronts and the Republicans finding fault in EVERYTHING he does underminds all of these American goals.

October 9, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  17. Union Rep

Outstanding. Well done Mr. President. You absolutely deserved this given what you 've accomplished, which I've listed below...

Oh wait, can someone help me here? What exactly has he done besides give a good speech – when his teleprompter is working?

What a joke the world has become. Doen't anyone want to work hard anymore to get a trophy. Heck, my kid one zero games in soccer and got a trophy and now the President gets this award for doing the same thing. We're all weak (most of us anyway) and would never have survived 100 years ago. God help us in the next 100 years.

October 9, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  18. lucy

@audrey – The same people that HATED Bush and didn't support him are the same people that don't understand people who criticize and don't support Obama. How many people HATED Bush. Now while I wasn't a big fan of his either, nobody ever made a comment defending Bush.

October 9, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  19. George

The peace prize has been a joke ever since it was awarded to Yasser Arafat .

October 9, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  20. Really?

Congrats to him but really? Has he done anything then constantly campaign? Guess if you go around apologizing for your country you qualify for the peace prize. Very premature, if he had some how gotten an accord signed between Israel and Palestine then I could see him winning it.

I'm curious to see what their judging criteria was...

October 9, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  21. marks

He was in office 12 days when the deadline for the nominations were closed. This is the biggest joke since Jimmy Carter received the prize.

October 9, 2009 at 11:36 am |
  22. Malcolm

I think the Nobel prize committee recognizes, and is encouraging, the diplomacy Obama has already accomplished. By reminding America and the world that more, longer lasting peace can be achieved through speaking to our world neighbors, rather than simply invading them, he is giving the peoples of the world a more hopeful place to live.

Americans have given over too much to the idea that accomplishment can only be measured in physical gains of wealth: nations taken, markets infiltrated and general economic dominance.

October 9, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  23. Confused

He deserves it and he has it.
    Let's continue to stand behind our President.
    Thanks.

October 9, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  24. Irving

He's not my president. I didn't vote for him. I don't like him. He is beholden to the special interests that got him elected. I HOPE HE FAILS IN MAKING THE UNITED STATES A SOCIALIST COUNTRY. I hope he fails in every policy that he puts forth since they are all bad for our country. He does not love this country. He only sees it as a tool for furthering his true objective, obtaining power and sealing his legacy. Fail, Hussein, fail.

October 9, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  25. Juan Suero

As President Obama left the podium, There was a reporter who asked Obama .... "What are you gonna do with the money"

... you have to wonder what's going on in this reporters life to try to squeeze out that question.
    You know people who steal always think other people are stealing because they view the world through that lense of what they themselves do.

Theres alot of people that need to fix thier lives out there man.

Keep up the good work Mr. President. You are so strong as I am so sorry for the fearful non-beleivers out there.
    Grow some cojones people.

October 9, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  26. Cecilia

WHY??????????? I don't understand why he won. This totally discredits this organization. The Nobel Peace Prize now means nothing. Did anyone see SNL? Eventhough they were joking, there is the underlying truth that HE HAS DONE NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  27. Alan J

Yeah George Cook you would agree with a fool wouldn't you. If you can do so much better than this Great Man in the WH where are you? At home on the computer saying nothing, right? You have the qualifications to be a Repudican.

October 9, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  28. Gary

Congratulations to Mr. Obama. It's interesting that an organization external to the US can see and acknowledge the leadership qualities of our new president, but as usual the Republicans here at home can only cast negativity and criticism. What a classless self-serving lot! But I suppose we should be used to their ridiculousness at this point. Nevertheless, I think it would be nice if we could just have a few days of not hearing from or about them, maybe we could just suspend all of them for a few days, weeks, or months – without pay and certainly without health benefits. A sort of mini deficit reduction effort. They should like it, I know I would.

October 9, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  29. B Edwards

Since the Nobel Peace prize has become nothing more than a political statement awarded only to liberals for what they "HOPE" to do rather than what they actually accomplish, it seems appropriate that Obama should be recognized because no one on the planet "has" or in fact "needs" more "HOPE" than Obama.

The deadline for submitting nominees for this year’s award was February 1, 2009, a full eleven days after the Obama's inauguration. Eleven days is about the same number of days Obama served in the U.S. Senate before beginning his campaign for president.

The Nobel Committee has acknowledged that this award is presented in the "HOPE" that Obama will accomplish big things on the global stage. Since Obama will become a "Lame Duck" president in the 2010 mid-term elections this award for his "HOPE" will no longer be possible a year from now when the world realizes that hope without actions to back them up are just fantasies.

October 9, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  30. Fred

The award is absurd, not just because he hasn't earned it yet but because his weakness, indecisiveness, and naivete will make war MORE not LESS likely in the years ahead. We live in a world of brutal savages (e.g. Muslim jihadists, Hugo Chavez) and cynical opportunists (e.g. Russia, China). You have peace when they're afraid of you, not when they love you, and trying to make them love you, you end up with neither love nor peace.

October 9, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  31. Steve

How is that the "ultra conservative, right-wing nut job" Saturday Night Live made fun of Obama for doing nothing but the Nobel Committee gives him this award? Just like Rollins said he apologized for America, he dishonored our country and all of the veterans who died for our freedom, kissed the asses of brutal dictators and he was rewarded for doing so. This isn't an honor, it's an insult to Americans.

October 9, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  32. Tracy

For a president who is continuing many of Bush's policies, this award makes absolutely no sense.

October 9, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  33. Mr Sparkle

While I am an Obama supporter, I do feel this award may be a bit premature. To truly appreciate the significance of this award you have to step outside the mindset of an American who in general is very insulated from an ignorant of the world outside the United States. We can read about events and decisions made outside the U.S. but we have very little interaction beyond that. Therefore, it is very hard for Americans to really understand how the United States was perceived by the rest of the world. During the eight years of the past administration the most powerful nation on the planet which has a tremendous amount of influence was basically perceived as an immature bully, with very little understanding of how the international environment had changed. We neglected the use of diplomacy, and made inexcusable blunders for a nation of our status and importance. This award represents the world community acknowledging that sanity, reason, maturity, progress, and intelligence have once again returned to guide the most powerful nation in the world as it navigates the water of international relations.

October 9, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  34. Fred

Hey, Mr. Rollins, I don't see anything on your CV in terms of judging the outcome of peace processes. I see you got a BA in PE and Poli Sci. I know you've worked on republican campaigns; but what relevant creds do you have? None that I can see: so why is CNN even asking you, let alone broadcasting your inadequately informed opinion? Is it to stir up the freeper hate? Honestly, I'm tired of blowhards like you acting as though you have a legitimate take on anything outside of your immediate experience. I'm REALLY TIRED of idiots at "news outlets" using hacks, such as yourself, to frame a debate that is invariably stilted towards right fringe freakos.
    CNN, consider yourself relegated to my Fox tier of viewing–as in removed from my channel line-up. I have other, more credible news agencies available.

October 9, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  35. SA

I cannot BELIEVE that Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize!! He hasn't done anything except make pretty speeches!! I'm sure there were plenty of other candidates more deserving than him, so this is just wrong.

The Nobel Peace Prize (for those of you who are "just proud an American won it") isn't about nationality. It isn't a football game, a soccer contest, a tennis match. It's about MAKING A REAL DIFFERENCE toward world peace. Has Obama done that yet? No. A small difference maybe. But he's got MILES to go before he'll truly be worthy of this prize. I'm actually very ashamed and embarrassed for the Nobel Peace Prize committee. As my sixteen year old son would say, "What were they smoking??"

October 9, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  36. Sniffit

Translation: "Even though the people who decide whether he has earned it decided that he already has, we (the GOP) are going to pretend that we get to decide and blather on and on about how he hasn't."

Pure, unadulterated idiocy.

October 9, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  37. kyle

this just shows, beyond the shadow of a doubt, what a joke this "peace prize" is. this man has done NOTHING to promote peace, except talk about it, just like evry president before him. at least bush tried to protect the world from another 9/11, remember that kids? these radicals don't want peace, they want you to die. republican, democrat, christian, jew, atheist, we're all the same to them. what part of that don't you idiots understand? bush saved your life, and the terrorists feared America. now, they are laughing at us, and our "peace" president. how pathetic.

October 9, 2009 at 11:32 am |
  38. Greg

No one questions Obama's desire for peace. Don't all sane people? What troubles me deeply with this award is that it was given to a person who has been on the world stage for such an incredibly short period of time that he couldn't possibly have had enough of an impact on peace to have earned the award. The Bush administration said to the world, "we are going to be mean." The Obama administration has said for all of nine months "we are going to try to be nicer. " Is that all it takes to get the Nobel Peach prize? I voted for him, but this is absurd.

October 9, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  39. Chris

Obama has done nothing for this country nor for world peace. He may be a positive thinker, but thinking doesn't get the job done. Action does. You don't award the Super Bowl trophy for what the coach says in the pre-season or how good the roster looks. They actually have to play the game. So far, we aren't even done with the first quarter of Obama's "game" and he's been awarded the trophy. I just wish that people would get the wool out from in front of their face and realize how we are quickly turning into a socialist country and he is taking us down that path.

October 9, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  40. herman huang

Couple days ago, there was a world poll that indicated the US is the most loved country in the world. Why is that? It's because of Obama. When you are loved, it goes a long way towards peace: for both the world and the president.

October 9, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  41. Daniel

A President that supports the destruction of innocent human life in the womb does not deserve a peace prize from any organization.

October 9, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  42. Dash

I can't believe how far gone the republican party is. Why criticize Obama when he clearly is making moves towards a more globally acceptable America and has made some very significant moves in his first 9 months. I'm sorry that he has had to play the clean up crew for the failure of the Bush administration and continues to do right by the people by righting their wrongs. You want to know why there's an anti-republican vote for the peace prize? Because the GOP has become so ineffective and narrow minded and never thinks globally. Remember when global warming was just a made up political agenda. Stop using your time to be negative and criticize and use it in a forward thinking manor and help Obama succeed.

October 9, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  43. Silvio Pionatto

What is next for the "Messiah"??????
    Be elevated to sainthood by the holy father?

October 9, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  44. Jess

I dont think he should have received this award before he has even had time to prove himself. I think the judge jumped the gun on this because usually its given to people with a proven deed or record of achievement. Just getting into office does not qualify for this.

October 9, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  45. MartinSA

@Journey

that's effectively why the committee said they gave the award to him. they gave it as an encouragement.

the implication is that they want him to continue his work toward a defineable accomplishment.

October 9, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  46. Melissa

Republicans aren't about peace, they're about war, anger, fear, and hate. They promote selfishness like its a good thing.

President Obama did deserve this, just maybe not quite so soon.

October 9, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  47. Rae

Peace is not real, is only hope.
    And President Obama, is giving the world just that, in such times when half the world is purely ignorant and the other half purely hypocrite.
    The Nobel Peace Prize is not like any other Nobel price, for Peace is only relative. you think of peace as middle east, but you forget the african nations, you forget the ethnic conflicts anywhere else, so enough of these american ignorance talk.
    President Obama is giving the world hope, and that is the closest humans will ever get to peace. Peace is a dream, a dream worth fighting for and nothing more, for no human can defy EVOLUTION and EVOLUTION is struggle, not peace.
    Congratulations President Obama.

October 9, 2009 at 11:30 am |
  48. Steve Sanders

It is way to early in the the President's term to award him the Nobel Peace Prize. If all the different domestic and foreign policies come to fruition, and betters mankind, then and only then does the President deserve the Nobel Peace Prize. I feel awarding it now is premature.

October 9, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  49. kim

Good god , put down the kool aid!! I can't stand it anymore and I am a democrat, or at least I was. He is nothing special folks, just a multi racial man who happened to get scholarships to good schools and be very ambitious. Thats it, nothing more and may I say, SO WHAT?

October 9, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  50. dan

Hmm, it is interesting how a President can order the bombing of another country, kill 40k+ civilians and be given the Nobel Peace Prize. But then again in 1973, Henry Kissinger was given the Prize and look at his involvement in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.

October 9, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  51. Denise

The deadline for nominations was February 1st, 2009. 12 days after Obama was sworn into office. After less than two weeks in office, can anyone clearly show what he had done in order to deserve it? People go on and on about how much he's done, how much he deserves it, but who gets an A for the year at the beginning of school, a promotion after a week on the job? It's not reality and I think the Nobel Peace Prize Committee just left the door wide open for major scrutiny. Who will win next – a first-year college student who 'hopes' to someday become a doctor and cure cancer?

October 9, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  52. John

I say Obama doesn't deserve it...and I voted for him!

October 9, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  53. Matt

Are you kidding me? Unbelievable!!! When do I get mine? That says everything you need to know about the Nobel Peace prize committee.

October 9, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  54. Vince

This is disturbing. Isn't Nobel prize supposed to be for lifelong achievements? This is what the world thinks about Obama:
    "He has achieved nothing. He's stumbling. He hasn't achieved any of his promises and nothing is working" from Yet Hisham Qasim, Egyptian democracy and human rights activist. This is only going to cause more world bias against America.
    I am happy as an American but very disappointed that seemingly Nobel prize reputation is compromised permanently and tainted by politics. Too bad...

October 9, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  55. G Man

Obama has been a great president so far, but I'm not sure he deserves this prize... yet. Only time will tell. As for this group giving the prize to undeserving people, this isn't the first time (Al Gore, 2007).

October 9, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  56. KD

I don't see any accomplishments that would warrant this prize. He has the potential but this is a joke.

October 9, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  57. Sam

Obama is a joke, so is the Nobel Peace Prize if it gives the award to a joke like Obama.

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  58. Leo

It's Americans that need to learn something about why he won the award, not him needing to earn it.

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  59. john

The nobel peace prize is suppose to be awarded for deeds that have been done and accomplished, NOT for thingss thats "maybe" done or not accomplished.

the awards committee that gave the prestigious award to mr. obama for having accomplished nothing, and have tarnished this prestigious award. mr. obama should do the right thing and NOT ACCEPT this award until he has accomplished something worthy of this award.

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  60. Sean

You should have achomplished something for peace in the world to received this award. All Obama has ever accomplished in his life is being elected President. Of course now Obama is in the elustrius ranks of Yassir Arafat, one of the biggest terrorists teh world has ever seen, and of course Al gore, who got the award for producing a documentary filled with lies and over exaggerations.. And who could forget 1939? The year that Hitler invaded Poland and started WWII and the year he started his major euthanasia program, Hitler was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize... Obama defintely deservces to be part of that crowd..

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  61. Desmond

Congratulations to our President Barack Obama on receiving such a prestigious award. It marks the beginning of international efforts to drag us out of a financial and violent quagmire that's marred our country and world for nearly a decade. Working towards peace is ALWAYS an ongoing task and opportunity. It's such a shame that we can't all be supportive of the vision of peace.

I really view Rollins comments as typical dissent, and although we as Americans are taught to respect dissent presented at the proper time and in the proper format, I know the American people have grown tired of debate and want action. Certainly Obama's actions have merited his winning this award, and everyone is aware that there is still much work to do.

I wonder however, what the dissenting voices have done in their careers in comparison to Obama's. From what I recall, Rollins was the sorry old man who touted John McCain for president, a man who had absolutely NO exit strategy from the unjust war in Iraq.

Congratulations, Rollins. You're nearing Limbaugh territory.

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  62. Carlos

Obama's name was thrown into the "Nobel peace prize hat" 12 days after he became president. So in 12 days, the world decided tht Obama had done enough to earn this prize? (albeit through only promises). WOW, not even Jesus could to that, but then again Obama is The Messia. Pretty pretty sad

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  63. Gregoire

There are obviously no Iraqis or Afghanis on that prize committee. One has to wonder how much of this award is due not to his silly little speeches but about the missile defense system in Norway's part of the world.

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  64. Brian

I am a fan of Obama, but giving him the Nobel Peace Prize is definitely putting the cart before the horse. Maybe after his presidency…this is pretty wild!

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  65. george cook

ARE WE PRACTICING 'DISCRIMINATION' NOW ON THE COMMENTS PEOPLE SEND IN OR WAS MY COMMENT TO NEGATIVE FOR THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNER, PRES OBAMA??? WHERE DID MY COMMENT GO....IN THE TRASH CAN????

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  66. Bob

This is absurd. Carter gets the Peace Prize for striking an "Accord". Reagan is passed up even though his peace through strength brings down the Berlin Wall and millions of people gain access to self determination.
    Gore gets the Peace Prize for making a movie on climate change and for advocacy...even though he generates one of the largest carbon footprints in the world and his house uses more energy than almost any other in his home state. Bush gets passed by...even though his home in Crawford is one of the most energy and water efficient residences in the world and his legislation created the distribution network that has made Texas the leader in the US for Wind Power (More than double California and the rest of the country will not catch up).

Now Obama gets the prize for "changing the tone" by apologizing for the US, garnering praise from Chavez, Castro and the Libyans...and g promises to make the wold "nuke free". As far as I know, the Chinese, Indians, Pakistanis and Russians have not agreed to this, and our weak stand with Iran is about to set off a nuclear arms race in the mideast ...additionally risking the Israelis having to take matters into their own hands and start a major world war.

I guess the Nobel Peace prize has become a popularity and marketing contest dominated by political agendas...not by accomplishment or any true sense of reality. This is really sad.

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  67. Vince

On a side note, Tim Tebow has just been awarded NFL Rookie of the Year for next season based on his potential.

October 9, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  68. SRDT

I'm happy to see this award return to America, but NOT at the expense of someone else more deserving. There are several candidates who HAD already earned this award. President Obama has 3+ more years (and possibly 7+ more years) to turn his words into action. But the honest truth is he simply hasn't yet. I pray he does earn it eventually – not only for America and the rest of the world, but for the other candidates who may have been more deserving at this time.

October 9, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  69. Mobius

I'm sure this is just a payoff from his friends in The Bilderberg Group.

10 days work does not an award achieve....unless spending trillions of dollars = peace.

October 9, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  70. MasterofTheJawan

I voted for Obama but the way I see it he's undeserving of this at this point in his presidency. There is 1 reason and 1 reason only for the Norwegians to award Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. They're trying to influence his decision on weather or not to send more troops to Afghanistan. It's called golden handcuffs. All the Europeans want an end to the Afgan war and this is the perfect way to influence Obama to end it. Give him a prize he doesn't deserve which will make him look like a warmonger and a hypocrite to the world if he doesn't do what they want. Period. Why else would they give it to him. He has given a few good speeches, but as far as diplomatic agreements go he's got NOTHING to show for it.

And the guy snubbs the Dalai Lama to kiss the ass of the Chinese government, a government with one of the worst human rights records in history. Yea.... he REALLY deserves the Nobel Peace Prize.....

October 9, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  71. Dumbass 1 putz

Snowbama

snowed everyone.

October 9, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  72. Pat

Peace prize for having ideas? I don't know, last time I checked the man has not sign a peace accord, resolved any international conflicts. We get prizes for just being the first blacks to hold high offices now? where do I sign up. I'm not hating at all, look at the resumes of all who have won the peace prize and look at Obama's. that's all I'm saying. Having Ideas about peace and creating peace are two different things.

October 9, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  73. dorothy

I think this is totally disgraceful.
    I agree with Rollins. Watch what he does now. Watch and see what he does with Afghanistan.

The speeches were all anti american – making excuses for what America has done to the 'poor terrorist countries – muslims'

What has he actually done? The SNL skit was right.
    Watch and see what happens now.

He does not deserve it. It is appauling what people do.
    I can win a Nobel Peace Prize for trying to bring peace in my workplace.

October 9, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  74. George E. Muniz

What other comment could we expect from you, Mr Rollins !!!! . If President Obama were to win an Olimpyc Gold Medal, you would probably find a reason why he would not deserve it.
    The President of the United States plays a crucial role in international affairs and for the first time en many decades, we have a President that promotes peace and nuclear dissarmament not just between USA and Russia but with all countries of the world, The rethoric of "evil empire" and "axis of evil" predicated by two previous and known Republican Presidents, never produced nor lead the world to anything positive for world peace , but rather created further divisions , deeper mistrust and breach in communciations with most of the countries around the world.
    America must be proud of the great efforts to enhance peace and prosperity President Obama displays in the world context , efforts that we have not seen before exherted by any seating President , that preceded him.
    We salute you, President Obama for your magnificent job in this extremely difficult and volatile world arena and for being the recipient of the Peace Nobel Prize, that no Republican colleague of Mr Rollins has ever earned, deserved nor won.

October 9, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  75. Tim

i wasn't expecting the nobel peace prize to go to some other us president who spent the last 6 years freeing 25 million people in iraq from the tyranny of saddam hussein or freeing 14 million women in afghanistan from the oppressive rule of the male-centric taliban. of course obama deserves it. because he merely said "i'm not bush"

October 9, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  76. Meredith

Whats wrong with our country, audrey? MY brothers and sisters, the sons and daughters, moms and dads of our country are still dying everyday fighting this war, making sacrifices, putting their lives on hold...
    All i know, is that it makes more sense to give someone an award for something they've already done, not something they plan to do....

October 9, 2009 at 11:25 am |
  77. Astonished

I wonder if the reason why Obama has been playing with the lives of our soildiers and not acting on the request from his General for more soidiers and supplies is because he knew this was in the works and if he gave more troops he would not get the Nobel Peace Prize? This is more than a conspiracy theory. He has wanted everything else instantly and never for any other issue taken this long to make a decision. Even when he did not know the facts on an issue that did not stop him from talking about it so why would it take him so long to make a decision on our troops? The only reason could be he knew he would not get his Peace Prize if he took a stand and acted like a leader

October 9, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  78. Chris

Everybody is suprised at this development (including BO himself), because everyone knows (including BO himself) that he has done nothing to deserve it. Even HE knows that some speeches he gave (which he probably didn't even write) don't rise to the level of "extraordinary efforts" toward anything.

I am truly disgusted.

Who is on the Nobel Peace Prize committee, anyway?

October 9, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  79. Cynthia

I am sorry, but if the President had done something significant in terms of ACTIONS to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize I would feel differently but he has not done anything but give a few speeches. Just like his campaign he made a lot of promises and has not followed through on any of them. I realize he is only 9 months into his presidency, so perhaps if this was a couple of years into his presidency perhaps he would be worthy.

October 9, 2009 at 11:24 am |
  80. Carmikal

So does Obama winning the award devalue it and cause people to not respect any longer similar to what's going on with him being President????
    But racism isn't relevant anymore????

October 9, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  81. V

The Nobel Peace prize should only be awarded based on actual achievements, not mere good intentions. I mean, don't all awards in general follow this rule? No organization ever 'awards' people for things they 'may achieve' as opposed to those with an actual track record!

They should have waited for a couple of years before letting Obama win. His win is a BIG slap in the face for people who have worked their entire lives to achieve world peace. And the fact that out of all the qualified nominees including Greg Mortenson, who actually has ALREADY inspired millions with his equal-education stance in the Middle East, the committee UNANIMOUSLY chose Obama!?!?! I'm shocked and appalled by the level of bias. In fact, I would respect Obama more if he graciously rejected the prize to show that he has the sincerity to 'win' the prize again when he actually has the evidence to show for it. But I doubt that someone like him would go to that level, which goes to show that he is and always will be pure words and no action.

October 9, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  82. Brian

Audrey,

"Support our Country… Support our President… We will succeed. But not with the nay sayers. "

Were you saying that 1, 2, or 4 years ago?

The critics are saying that they don't think Obama deserved this YET. I have to agree with them. He hasn't accomplished much YET...he's only said what he wants to accomplish.

October 9, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  83. Albi

The Nobel Peace Prize has become a big joke.

First, it's given to someone like Yasser Arafat (as a "bribe") in hopes that he would strengthen the peace process in the Middle East. From the mouth of Arafat himself, he proclaimed on arabic radio that he wanted to annihilate the Jews.

Second, Al Gore gets the prize for what? His initiative on making society more aware of global warming...From a guy who toots his horn about being environmentally green, take this. Al Gore comes in on airplane, has an limo pick him up. About one mile from his speech engagement, he gets in a Toyota Prius and drives to the location. What a joke!

Now, Obama. What next? Last I checked, Santa Claus has provided more peace during Christmas on most people's hearts than most...

Nobel prize period is given to people who have ACCOMPLISHED something throughout their "long career," not based on potential momentum of an individual's early career.

October 9, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  84. Rich

What noteable peace accord has been acheived? Not one cease fire, more troops to Afghanistan, chaos in the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. Name on peace deal our President has brokered...you can't. Maybe some day he will be worthy of the prize...just not today.

October 9, 2009 at 11:23 am |
  85. Adrian

Wow! I am shocked! Can I please have a salary increase and awards for stuff I'm "hoping" to accomplish?

Pres. Obama getting this prize is demeaning to all other Nobel Prize recipients who have worked for years and years to accomplish something tangible and meaningful.

Looks like the entire world is drinking the Kool-Aid!

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  86. Micah

I'm not exactly sure what Obama has done to deserve this award. But maybe all his intense effort and dedication to world peace abroad is why he hasn't accomplished anything here in America.

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  87. Jason

To me a few speeches here and there and some good intentions don't justify an award that is supposed to be as honored as this one. You can't justify an award like this based off of good intentions, there need to be actions and achievements to back it up. No disrespect to the President but in all honesty he is not ready for this award yet.

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  88. Kevin

What did he win it based on? This degrades the stature of a Nobel Peace Prize. President Obama has accomplished nothing! What a sham!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  89. Robert

Let President Obama do something about my human rights violation here in America.

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  90. Whatever

One more thing to make America look like a joke to the rest of the world. Win something that you don't deserve because you have done nothing. Go make some gun powder or something. Gore gets one for what? The weather. This is the same problem that we are having with our kids in America. Just give them something that they do not deserve to make them "feel" good. Another big joke that is taking this country down. The rest of the world see us as the decline of Rome and it makes me sick. We gone from being strong to weak and our leaders just like with Rome are taking us on the path of no return.

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  91. Amy

I have never won an award first, and then had to EARN it. To me, that is a farce to the award, and a huge smack in the face of the people who actually ACCOMPLISHED their goals that made them a candidate for the award.

There have always been nay sayers in politics, and our country has still succeeded for over 200 yrs. It's always funny to me that those who voted the sitting presidents in are always quick to say "stop talking bad about our president, support our president", but they never mention any of the negative comments that the sitting party/president has said about the former party/president. Fortunately we live in a country where that is OK – we're free to speak our minds!

Still, God bless the USA, even though I don't think Obama has earned this award!

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  92. NYC Kris

I want to say first off that I'm a BIG supporter of Obama, but I do think it's a little premature to give him this Nobel Peace Prize while we are still in Iraq and debating our role in Afghanistan. I think that perhaps once we solved those problems, as well as healed our relationship in some way with Iran, THEN that would be an accomplishment worthy of the prize. Thusfar, Obama has proven to inspire hope in people, but hasn't shown to do as much in action.

October 9, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  93. Jackie

October 9th, 2009 10:07 am ET

I didn’t know that the Nobel Peace prize is given out first with the expectation that the recipient will “earn” it afterwards. Are you serious?

RE: Exactly. ONLY in America would its own citizens complain about THEIR own President winning the Nobel Peace prize. What the hell is wrong with America???

October 9, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  94. Jahangir Farin

He absolutely , posit.vly,definetly does not deserve the prize, the Noble committee made a full otf themselves..How could a person who was in the office for 10 days deseve thhhhhhhhhhe noble prize?

October 9, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  95. Carmikal

So, nothing close to congrats or a pat on the back?? Do some people hold this president to such a high bar that his accomplishments are met with so much scrutiny. "How dare they give OUR President the award?"
    At this rate what will happen if he creates jobs and fixes the economy? Will that seem like a mistake or be met by dissappointment from these privleged media proclaimed experts??

October 9, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  96. Nobody more deserving? Really?

I would like to know about the other nominees and their ACCOMPLISHMENTS. I think the award going to any American is good for us on the international stage, but put things in perspective - his nomination came within days of taking office. Talk is nice, but cheap. Time will tell if President Obama actually accomplishes anything. And tell me again which of our last presidents haven't sought peace, even if only by mere words?

Why is it just the GOP who are "nay sayers?" If Dems disagree they're not nay sayers? Get off your soap box...people and politicians like YOU are part of the problem.

October 9, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  97. Sinjin405

Our President has accomplished nothing yet, which is not to say that someday he will and should then have won.

October 9, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  98. Dan

What is next? After Carter and now Obama, , you bet the ones they vote are smoking funnny stuff!!!

October 9, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  99. Robert Surprise

This award is an absolutely disgrace. The deadline for submissions was two weeks after he took office. He did nothing, has done nothiing and was given the award on hope. That's no better than any Miss America stating she's worked for world peace!! He's been nothing but an apologist for the Leftist Socialist and can be compared to the UK's Chamberlain. The awards committee struggled with "hope" rather than concrete evidence that was the hallmark for this PEACE PRIZE. Just goes to show they give it to anyone.

October 9, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  100. Darko

The nobel peace prize is more political than I could have ever imagined.

Jimmy Carter
    Al Gore
    Yasser Arafat

LOL, Obama fits the mold perfectly.

In all seriousness... he hasn't DONE anything except talk. Really, a few speeches and many more promises. That's it. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of others in the pool of nominees that have accomplished more in the way towards peace.

If they want to give him the award, they could should have the decency to wait a few years to see how his promises play out.

October 9, 2009 at 11:20 am |