American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
November 6th, 2009

Unemployment check extensions are coming

By Christine Romans

The president today will sign an extension in unemployment benefits. Nationwide, it will be 14 more weeks for the jobless.

If you recently ran out of benefits, you can reapply for the extension. If you live in a high-unemployment state, with a jobless rate above 8.5%, you are eligible for 20 more weeks of jobless checks.

Many of you have asked if your state qualifies for 14 or 20 more weeks. Here are those high-unemployment states:

AL, AZ, CA, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, KY, ME, MA, MI, MO, MS, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, WA, WV. Also, Washington, D.C.

Filed under: Economy
  1. Rocco J cavaliero

my unemployment benifits are at there max 99 weeks, There is still a job loss problem. What can/should I do? I'll be homless!!!! I am just getting by by the skin of my teeth!!!!!!!!!! And many,many more people are in the same situation... THANK YOU.

March 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
  2. Linda English

i am 59 years of age will be 60 in april of this year.ever day is harder and harder to fin employment.i was let go from a company along with others. My morgage is going into three month delenquent i need to tell them something ,they know i am trying to find a job.Please tell me when my next unenployment check will arive .i know the president has signed the bill it does say when they will be put into the mail.Thank You.. Linda English

December 12, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  3. Doug L.

"chris hilinski November 8th, 2009 3:02 pm ET

Why is California Department of Unemployment (EDD) already saying
    that Californians will be shorted the last six week extension that Congress says we are eligible for? If you go tothe Calif EDD Site the statement is we will only get 14 weeks of an extension.........any Californians out there whoknow aboutthis?"

No one will get the extra six weeks of benefits!

As the law was written, people will have to use up the first 14 weeks of the extension by the end of 2009 BEFORE being eligible for the extra six weeks...since the bill was delayed so long in the Senate there is now no way to use up the 14 weeks before Dec 31.

Congress is aware of the discrepancy but would need to go back and propose a new bill to fix it...don't count on that. 14 weeks is it.

November 12, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  4. ash

does anyone know the details for who is eligible for this? I have already exhausted my fed benefits and just exhausted my state benefits...would I still qualify?

November 10, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  5. Charles L. Morse Sr.

I personally think we need to put real public heat on congress , and the senate .
    They ignore the voice of the voters , and support the radical minority groups voice . The radicals the seats in our government that the majority vote fore with noise .

Well its time we have a sleep in protest Washington can't ignore .
    We need a protest on the streets and lawns of these people . A protest by the forcloser homeless and the unemployed .

If they can't hear our problems and deal with the issues most emporten to our needs .

Maybe we need to get closer to them and see if they can see our needs when we place them in the streets and yards out side of their house .

November 9, 2009 at 5:20 am |
  6. chris hilinski

Why is California Department of Unemployment (EDD) already saying

November 8, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  7. lauren

how do you reapply for this extension? Do I wait until I get a letter or go ahead and open a new claim?

November 8, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  8. jay m

These states have high unemployment because they are sending jobs out of the country in the name of exploited cheap labor.

November 6, 2009 at 9:25 am |
  9. Mitchell

I saw on CNN a few minutes ago that the unemployment rate is now 10.2 percent. The first bailout was in large part a payback reward for the politicans and orginazations that supported the democrats during the election-just check the facts. Look at all the wasted places where huge amounts of the money went. Now they are talking about doing another bail out. The policy they have is not working, never had a chance of working. Instead of doing what is right they just duck and accuse and blame and of course will throw more tax payer money around.

November 6, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  10. John

Where are all these jobs the White House claims they have added? It just goes to show you that their math skills are as weak as their economic skills. Spending more money on pork will not fix the economy. When will the idiot politicians realize their strategy of massive deficit spending will not fix the economy.

November 6, 2009 at 9:02 am |
  11. R. Corso

Just watched your segment on the 10.2% unemployement numbers. It is disgraceful that no one on the panel even bothered to mention the disastrous Obama stimulus bill that cost us, the taxpayers, a whopping 787 BILLLION dollars that was supposed to 'create' 3 million jobs. When will it be realized that government can not create private sector jobs by this kind of government handouts and spending. I am tired of the obvious bias for this administration in most of your networks coverage.

November 6, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  12. Tomi Leonard

NOW unemployment is 10.2%.., just a few days ago these so-called business minds and analysts said unemployment rate was dropping and there is definitely a recession turn-around. Why do these clowns say anything, as they are just guessing. Heck.., I can do that. Reminds me of the gas shortage, amongst all the other shortage lies.., it's just a way to sway markets and charge higher prices for things. Come on!

November 6, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  13. r griffin

Are you eligible for 20 weeks if your state reaches the 8.5 threshold in the future?
    What if your state falls below the threshold?

November 6, 2009 at 8:20 am |