Editor's Note: With President Obama’s announcement on Afghanistan set for Tuesday, American Morning’s Monday audience was greatly concerned about a “war tax” being proposed by some lawmakers.
- Ellen: ... NO ON THE WAR TAX, WE'RE BROKE ALREADY, OBAMA PROMISED NO HIGHER TAXES ON MIDDLE INCOME AND ALL THE REST OF THE DEMS DO IT RAISE TAXES ON THIS AND THAT, IT ALL AMOUNTS TO THE SAME THING-A TAX INCREASE. WE'RE BROKE. THE COUNTRY IS BROKE WAKE UP.
- Joseph: Concerning the War Tax. It is apparent that the Democratic Party will not be satisfied until such time as they tax the people of this country into complete poverty. They have no sense of what the people want because they do not listen to the people. They are in direct violation of the constitution because they do not follow the people's direction. Every representative currently holding office should be brought up on charges of Treason. They have failed completely in their oath of office to “Uphold and Defend the Constitution of the United States”.
- David: on the war tax, I believe that our country should get out of Afghanistan and Iraq. Granted, we do need to do what must be done to protect our country, but once we leave these wars, are we not still going have to do many things to protect our country here at home? So why not concentrate on what matters and quit worrying about the Wars and bring our troops home!
- Lynn: I oppose a 'War Tax' to pay for the war in Afghanistan. The US Citizens have been paying for this war since George W Bush started it (and left it) over 8 years ago...and we continue to pay in dollars and lives! I strenuously object to any more taxes for this war!
- William: RE. the war tax. We have $12 trillion in debt. We paid $384 bil. in interest on the public debt. Health will cost $2 trillion. We have 17.5% unemployed and we're talking about a war tax. What a joke.
What do you think of a “war tax” to help fund a troop surge in Afghanistan? Continue the conversation below.