American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
December 3rd, 2009

White House forum aims to get Americans working again

The president shifts his focus from Afghanistan to jobs today. He's hosting a forum at the White House, looking for ideas to put 16 million unemployed Americans back to work. And he has his work cut out for him. Our Jim Acosta reports.

CNNMoney: White House job summit seeks solutions

Filed under: Economy • Politics
  1. SallieDoggers

Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to post an introductory thread and let you all know that I am excited to start posting here and mingling with you all!
    My name is Sallie and I'm from Melbourne, Florida! Nice to meet you!
    -Sallie.

February 5, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  2. Tom from Vermillion, Ohio

The age of "Corporatism" has got to come to an end. Corporate Execs look at medium term and NOT for long term economic stability in an effort to enhance their wealth. These high paid individuals never get laid off. They export our jobs to ultra-low wage paying countries. The name of the game in a true capitalist society is the working class having the capacity to buy "stuff" without going into debt! The key is to get other Countries' working class to buy our "stuff" at a reasonable buck. This country needs to redefine itself in the manner that laws are passed or else we are FINISHED!

December 7, 2009 at 8:05 am |
  3. JULIE

Great job Gloria,

You may think that your campaigning did no good, but, it did. 40 years working with the public in a considered non college job. I had passion for hellping people, not until I was screwed over by the system did I do anything. I just listened. One day some lobbiest came in to get hair cut. He told me how to change things, by writing letters, over and over as the topics get counted as to which issues are more complained about. I went to library and got addresses, I sometimes wrote the same congress senators hundreds of times, state representatives, magazine editors, letters to newspapers. Mother died and left me $3,000 worth of stamps she had collected over the decades. Along with people Ralph Nader forum, with early release of convicted killers, domestic violence, child support. We managed to change a whole bunch of laws. Writing to Sandra day O'conner, I knew she had read my letter when she stated, that lawyers have to stop "Rambo tactics", Another quote I used in which other editors started using was "You are either part of the problem or part of the solution." Many started using this. Among my successes, I saw laws on domestic violence. I one night after writing to the Clintons over 100 or so letters, that I saw him state on TV how all Federal employees had to keep up their child support, and how his wish was that all states follow. I became the voice for Ms Simpson. Along with my friends, we helped to change things.
    During the horrfying tragedy of Katrina, we filled e-mail boxes every hour on the hour for 4 solid days to every Senator, to every congressman, to every representative, news medias. We kept it up round the clock, that they would do something to help those people. We kept it up until their mail boxes were full. and, started all over again. they could get no mail from anyone else. Most of them had to change their e-mail addresses after that.
    What the world suffers most from is apathy. Rather see someone with different views than other who let things slide and let the big guys run over the little folks.

December 4, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  4. gloria lewis

You people are a bunch of selfish selfserving morons ,as long as you have your big jobs and big houses you clearly do not care about anyone but your rich friends .Owe my bad i forgot if you help the poor you will not have anyone to take care of your rude little brats ,no one to clean your houses ,clean up you parents sit and take care of them ,and clean your house and do your laundry .Thats why you try to keep the loerclass down inorder for you to be on top we have to bee in the bottom .Cnn talk about the for reporters like oriley ,and glenn beck at least they keep it real all the time .Everyone knows their position .Cnn is fake and hypocrite which make you worst than fox .
    This network does not care about poor people ,everytime i sent an honest comment it is not posted .You know what cnn keep it up you can pat yourself on the back for helping to keep this economy down .I hope you sleep good at night ,oh i forgot you do .Your kid have a nanny ,your parents are in a nursing home with strangers so why would you not sleep if you set your own blood aside why would you care about anyone .Go right ahead and delete this i hope you will be blessed all your life just rember god sees and knows all .

December 4, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  5. Mitchell

It is Obama like that he only invited those that did not disagree with his policies. Where was the invitation for the Chamber of Commerce or any of the other important groups that disagree with his economic policies. Wow what a successful summit. Thank you CNN for not reporting on that, but then you are the "most trusted name in news".

December 4, 2009 at 9:24 am |
  6. ronald

Does our president Obama want to provide jobs for those unemployed to flip burgers, or does our president want to place America back to work??
    I want our President to place workers creating jobs towards that alternative fuel choices for this nation.
    Have the farmers growing sugar beets to make sugarcane ethanol, pay farmers their subsidies as done already for corn ethanol.But switch corn to sugar beets.
    then,get the trained ones building solar panels in USA, cause a Chinese company is already opening a plant here in the good old USA.China must know the future direction of this nation too?
    Mr. Obama in Allentown? Why not send him especially to the region of Detroit instead??
    If Roosevelt succeeded with working this nation after the great depression, why not do that same plan now? Build bridges,cause we can not even take care of out own.

December 4, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  7. gloria lewis

How can just an everyday worker with no degrees get their ideas to the president .You see i was notified by a exlawyer that todays society do not class people that do jobs like mine i am a waitress ,or labours ,hire helpers as anyone in society .It is a statement i still do not comprehend why should anyone that gets up and go to whatever job they have not be valued as anyone else .Why does a degree or money has to determine if a person is whorty of certain respect .Maybe it is this reason why we are here .
    I say this because no one is willing to listen to my ideas ,the president is asking for ideas i have been trying for years to give ideas .I sent 4 letters to the white house from january to september ,my last letter in september i guess they all went in the trash because in societys eyes i am nobody .The jobs reports just came out the reason the numbers are down is because everyone is waiting for xmas sales .These sales are going to be lower ,can anyone help me get a letter to the president on how to contain this epidemic . There is no turning around not yet, yes job loss is down but how many of the ones that were unemployed have return to work ,this is how you know its getting better not by job loss down .

December 4, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  8. Mark Griffith

The government keeps talking about how to create or keep jobs in America, but when they get a chance to do that they find reasons not to. Case in point is the new tankers for the Air Force. Here is an opportunity to spend $30B to buy something we need, and create thousands of high paying American manufacturing jobs in the process. But some of our legislatures feel compelled to spend millions trying to prove we should send these jobs to France. Even IF you could say Airbus can build a tanker as good as Boeing does, this just doesn't make any sense. Why not spend our tax dollars on American jobs? What's best for our country?

I work for Boeing (so please don't publish my name), but this is NOT a biased opinion. This is purly a patriotic taxpayers opinion. We need to quit rewarding companies for sending jobs overseas & keep them here! Especially if we're paying for them with tax dollars.

PS I work for B

December 4, 2009 at 7:04 am |
  9. JULIE

i often think back to when Americans were really thriving. the job crunch I think came when the oil industry decided to super increase their oil prices, This increase completely stopped transportation. Transportation that led to jobs. Food prices increased dramatically. Everything started costing more for less to the deflating dollar. Then, the uncontrollable banks that were charging exhorbitant fees, and scamming of mortgage loans to people that could really not afford, bu, lowering the that led to this big downfall. Banks need regulation.
    I still believe the answer to recovery would be to un tax gas prices, to get Americans started again. Competition with China for oil, yes, was part of the problem. If you do not buy it, they won't need as much oil
    And stop Nafta Cafta that has been giving Americans the shafta. Install import duties again. Cheap crap from China. And end all subsidizing of all businesses that import from overseas.
    And, up to Americans to stop buying cheap toxic products from China. Look at the labels, people, do you really want to eat food products with the problems with sewer and water pollution that China has? Go and look at some of their water and severe pollution. Hershey's now makes some of their product there, I threw out some really nasty tasting chocolate. YUK> I know I can taste the difference. This is not labeled china. I want labels put where each and every product is made.

December 4, 2009 at 5:13 am |
  10. Mike

President Obama is trying to help and the GOP instead of trying to help to, they are still playing politics. The GOP said this is Obama fault, I'm sorry GOP you can't lie to us no more and scare us no more.When Bush and the GOP were incharge y'all were spending money for two wars and y'all were selling america long before Obama got in office. So GOP if your not going to help please get out of the way.

December 3, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  11. carrie

when did violence get to be okay?tiger woods was beaten with a golf club and his wife was not even questioned. the police do not need the victim's permission. if the situation had been reversed with elin on the ground unconscious and tiger standing over her with a steel golf club in hand tiger would have been arrested. elin is out of control. when one of the children makes her angry will she get the golf club again? why the coverup? and why is the media putting the spin on tiger ? even if tiger had a mistress that is not a justification for hitting him with a steel golf club. tiger could have lost his life. the media seems more concerned with his money.

December 3, 2009 at 7:02 pm |
  12. dave in des moines

The following keep new companies from even starting and/or hire new people. Small businesses make the majority of new jobs created. Many Americans are walking around with good ideas to start a new business. After all, we are a creative country. However, many of these ideas never get off the ground.
    There are many challenges to begin those companies. Let us say I feel there is a demand to do light maintenance of cars. This company could check car tires air pressure and perhaps change air filters for people. Many people are holding on to their older cars. Perhaps this service could save people some gas money in the long run. Perhaps I could hire people if it expands or gas prices rises.
    First I would need a location. Perhaps a closed gas station would do. I would need a lawyer to negotiate the rent of this building. I would need to open a bank account. There are per check processing fees for small companies. Then comes the big problem. I would need to buy liability insurance. Most insurance companies would not even cover my new business idea since I have no experience in the venture.
    If I got lucky to open this venture, I would need an accountant to pay sales tax to the state. Not to mention all the other payroll taxes I would need to be processed by this accountant.
    Perhaps these are reasons many ideas never get off the ground. It takes many hats (accountant, lawyer, insurance agent, etc.) to begin and run a new small business. I guess another idea will never get off the ground again and net no new jobs. This may be another reason for the present state of our unemployment rate.

December 3, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  13. randy

I recognize that blacks and latinos have a high unemployment rate. However it seems political incorrect to mention that any 55 to 62 year old white male has zero opportunity to be hired. Everyone wants a young black or latino first.This is a major issue every wants to sweep under the rug.

December 3, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  14. Scottish Mama in MO.

I want to know about the tent people in California, what is their situations today? And what the people that were forclosed on are today? Could CNN. do a story on those people?
    How about letting the people know what we can do to put people back to work? Solar what?

December 3, 2009 at 10:55 am |