American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
December 8th, 2009

1,500 Marines set to ship out

It took three months for President Obama to decide on a troop surge strategy for Afghanistan. It took less than a week for the Pentagon to announce the first deployments.

About 1,500 U.S. Marines from Camp Lejeune, North Carolina just got the call. They're shipping out this month. Our Pentagon correspondent Chris Lawrence has the report from Camp Lejeune.

Related: Official: Obama discusses troop surge with general

Filed under: Afghanistan • Military
  1. mimi petista

i think what obama dont can make war until he will go fright too in afganistan = ours troops! i am women and i want victory for us ever,so,obama,will go to cabul city now! kisses mine of 1 texacarna v= me,my honey soldiers

December 9, 2009 at 10:39 am |
  2. Briant Titus

As a former Marine go get them brothers and sisters, we will be there waiting for our heroes to get home. Semper Fi

December 9, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  3. John in Temecula

Rod in Texas : Your hateful words sound as if they come from fear. Hopefully your son comes back uninjured. I mean this from the bottom of my gun toting hair trigger heart. You should think twice about trash talking your fellow American's , we are in this together ! Rest assured , this administration has the capacity to understand your ignorance and get the job done.

Good luck and thank you troops ,

There will be better days ahead !

December 9, 2009 at 3:53 am |
  4. Steve

Terrorists is a crime, but when they come packing bombs and heavy weaponry, maybe it's no longer the job for the police or fbi. They need highly sophisticated machinery and heavy weapons to counter, which calls for the military.

December 9, 2009 at 1:58 am |
  5. S Callahan ..make your life better read Psalm 51

To our Brave Men and Women, Thank You for your service and May God's speed be upon you until we see back in the States!

December 9, 2009 at 1:17 am |
  6. Kevin

We are reinvesting in the Afghanistan war effort to get revenge on the people that harbored and supported the terrorists who killed thousands on September 11, 2001. On September 12, 2001, we collectively swore that we would never forget. However, after the distractions of a domestic economic struggle and another, seemingly misguided conflict, could our nation have actually forgotten what we are fighting for? To me, as a proud US citizen, it's still very much worth it. I think it's a shame that others do not agree.

December 9, 2009 at 12:19 am |
  7. Cheney

I am prepared to sacrifice my life for Big oil and Central Bank..

December 8, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  8. Jeff IL

I'm a former US Marine and as the old saying "once a Marine always a Marine" . We're 100% behind you! Semper Fi!

December 8, 2009 at 9:41 pm |
  9. Bob

Go get 'em jarheads, show them camel jockeys no mercy, show them what a good ol' American ass whoopin' is all about. Good luck and I wish you the best. Semper Fi.

December 8, 2009 at 8:46 pm |
  10. Scottish Mama in MO.

Troy, My nephew is going to Afghanistan. He will be one of our heroes picking up the boys, treating them and keeping them alive for the helicopter to safety.

December 8, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  11. Scottish Mama in MO.

Rod, I believe President Obama said the fight was not in Iraq but in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He said that is where he would send our troops in his prepresident state. Three months to find out we were to deal with Karzai and figure out a thoughtful stategy backed by the U.N. and Allies. Something the Repubs snubbed going into Iraq.

December 8, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  12. Frank

How many GI's died in Iraq to fight terrorism? Was in the thousands. I read in the news today... 120 people killed in multiple car bombs, hundreds of others wounded. What did wae accomplish in Iraq before leaving to go to another mess in Afghanistan. How many young men will be killed and maimed there? These are both haunting visions of Vietnams all over again. They just changed the names of the places. I am not blindly spouting off... I served in an infantry unit in Vietnam.
    frank

December 8, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  13. Troy

My 22 years of service with the Navy Seabees revolved around the Marine Corps. Anyone that knows anything about the seabees will tell you that the Marines are the greatest fighting force in the world. For all you Marines heading into Harms Way; keep your heads down, eyes 360, and your ears open. Come home safe brothers and sisters. Semper Fidelis.

BUCS(SCW) Doyle, TA Retired

December 8, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  14. Johannes Lindmeier

I dont believe we should send our most precious fighting Forces on some job the FBI or Police should do. These terrorists are not that different from the thugs on our streets. Gang Bangers, Murders, criminals, robbers, neo-nazi's, racists, and religious fanatics. Our troops were trained to fight Large Armies and Navy's. If Obama wants to fight terrorism he should develope a new fighting force to Counter Terrorism, not send our tropps who are beyond value to our country and our familes out to a gun-ho cowboy shoot.

December 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  15. Rod in Texas

Its good that Obama has finally made a decision on something. It will be a curiosity as to how he will blame the Bush administration for this. My son, a US Army soldier, is being deployed to Afghanistan in the surge effort as well. I hope the lilly livered, limp wristed liberals will let the soldiers do their job and not limit them to "fire only when fired upon" strategies. This will only add more casualties to our ranks.

December 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm |