American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
December 17th, 2009

U.S. dad says he hopes to bring son home

New York (CNN) - An American father said he hopes to be bringing his 9-year-old son home from Brazil on Thursday after a long international custody battle that has involved U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and many Brazilian courtrooms.

A Brazilian court on Wednesday ordered that the boy, Sean Goldman, be returned to the custody of his father in the United States. The father, David Goldman, spoke to CNN's "American Morning" on Thursday shortly after his plane touched down in Brazil.

Filed under: World
  1. Rosana Castilho

I am very sorry for the child. I hope Sean gets over this and grows to be a strong man. I have seen cases that fathers or mothers who are drug addicts, violent, and so on, but end up having the legal right over the child because they are the biological parents. So we will all be watching how this child will be treated, even so he is in a distant country. All my love to you Sean and be tough. People have survived being orphans from parents that died in war or in accidents and so on. I am sure you will survive this too and be sure your brazilian family will never give up on you.

December 28, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  2. Rosana Castilho

I guess we are way passed on who is the biological father. The question is, thinking about the child and not on who was right or wrong in the past, and why the brazilian government or blablabla, who raised this child? Who are his real parents? So, I am sorry, I don´t care who is the biological father, as this certainly is not all that counts at all in a court decision for a custody. Is the child´s best interest to stay with her father and be taken from the family that has raised him? And if the brazilian government or the american government, or the mother didn´t want to go back to the country, this here in Brazil is not considered abduction nor kidnapping. She became the boy´s legal guardian here in Brazil. Now if the rights of visits was not respected, this is a totally different matter. So wake up dear americans, there was no abudction whatsoever. The mother came back with her child to Brazil and asked, legally, to stay with the child, that´s why the child stayed. The problem started after the mother died, because the grandparents thought it would be of the best interest of the boy to stay in Brazil because he is familiar with the language, has friends and many relatives that love him and were always with him. The boy had a distant relationship with the father who did not seem to be very caring while the mother was alive. Only after her death, he started asking money in order not to take the boy from his family here in Brazil. This is the true story.

December 28, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  3. Mary

To the person who only refers to him or herself as "S" and calls the people who are expressing their opinions on this blog "Morons"...lighten up and get back in the hole that you crawled out of. With your kind of attitude who cares how much education you have received.

December 28, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  4. Dina Marie Schon

As a parent who has also been involved in a Hague cutody case I must first put ALL of the blame on my own Country...the USA. Unfortunately our State department has NO CLUE when it regards Hague Criteria...and worse yet no mechanism in place to manage International custody disputes. ur Country was supposedly built on a system of checks and balances and in this arena they are sorely missing!
    My situation was perhaps uncommon (hopefully) it involved the all too common negligence; which gave easy way to corruption. My 4 children and I ,ALL born on American soil were forced to leave our Country...land in central Europe in a Socialist country...a foreign language we didn't speak...and imagine this...there we encountered an honest, intelligent and thorough judicial process...that brought us back home to California! Shame on American...it seems our politicians harm our own people as well as those in forgeing countries!
    Dina Marie Schon-Steiner

December 27, 2009 at 6:21 pm |
  5. Chris

I am brazilian and I live in Brazil. I was one from the thousands of people who wrote to the brazilian govverment telling them how shameful was the situation. That they should give the kid back to his biological father.
    PS:This since the biological father post an add asking for help on Facebook. Around two years ago.Before brazilians didn't know about this kidnapping!
    I wrote to ministers and the supreme court. Not just me, but many of us. So stop judging us because you have no info about what happens in here daily bases. I am really glad the he is back with his father. Not just me, but a lot of people is really happy for that ...we fight for him the way we could. Writing e-mails send to friends and this way we started to pressure the govverment overhere. You should thank us, brazilian people, for our help in the matter.

December 27, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  6. Rosana Castilho

I´m brazilian. Here in Brazil, and I believe in the rest of the world, it is common law that after a marriage break up the child usually stays with the mother. This happened with Sean after her mother and father broke up. He stayed with the mother in Brazil. Then she died last year during childbirth. The americans think that the child should be returned immediately to his father because the father is the owner of the child. Well, here in Brazil, before deciding things like that, we take in consideration the child first, before anyone else wishes. Is the child adapted in Brazil, grandparents, and so on? Is it good for the child this break up in an early age, away from the family and friends he has grown up with? But, of course, the american way is different and wants the child back immediately. Power struggle. And I don´t think you thought about the child not even a minute. Has anyone any idea of what is to be taken away from your family to live with someone, who is his father but with whom he has no close contact? He is only a child and I feel sorry for him, as he was not given the opportunity to speak up for himself. I guess in this war of power the United States won, but what about the child? I´m sorry, but in a country like yours, where family values are not as important as here in Brazil, a very catholic country, you have done wrong. He will miss that and as soon as he can return, he will. You can bet on it. And not only that, he will hate his father for going brutally against his wishes. And this is something that children don´t forgive. And time will tell you all that. Money is not the only thing and the boy would be certainly a lot happier if he were living here in Brazil. But just wait and see. Our country has problems, social problems, yes, everybody knows that. But I have lived in the US for 7 years and your country also have lots of social problems. As a matter of fact, I came back to Brazil because I wasn´t happy myself in the US. And I had citizenship and all. But I was very unhappy and deeply depressed. I am much happier here. Just wait and see what you have done to the child. The whole world will be watching. So long.

December 27, 2009 at 10:27 am |
  7. Skeptic

"athina Onassis"–hmmmm. Very interesting that anyone would choose that particular name for our discussion.

Why do I wonder if this is a Brazilian relative who colluded in seeing that Sean could not come home? And, for all "Proud Brazilian's" protestations, most of what you are saying is the same sort of skewed interpretation being employed by Ms. Onassis. Are you, also, one of the family members coming on this thread because you finally were thwarted.

Wealthy Brazilians have a very high sense of entitlement that I don't think we here in the US understand. They see us as peasants, and Sean's father is probably seen as a hick. They do not want to see this poor "Brazilian" boy raised in a heathen country like ours.

The child was taken from his father, who immediately began fighting to get him back–given that he has spent a tremendous amount of money on legal fees and flying back and forth, it isn't surprising that he has tried to make a bit of that back (he's probably sold his story to NBC–I wouldn't doubt that there is a movie to be made). He isn't independently wealthy–this was quite like a deal he was forced to make to continue his fight.

A father does not have to be a paragon of virtue to raise his own child–a parent has to be genuinely incompetent before he loses custody. The fact is that we just had a very entitled bunch of really wealthy Brazilians who had an issue with the guy from the US who had fathered the boy. And now, like our little ms. Onassis, they are stomping their feet, pointing fingers, and using nasty names. I say we ignore the spoiled little brats and get on with our lives. And, no, I would not go to Rio for the Olympics. They probably bought that too.

December 27, 2009 at 3:24 am |
  8. John Hohe-Douglas

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize what the step fathers game plan was . Use the courts `as long as yo can to keep the son from his father,in this case five years,hoping by this time he will have built up a relationship with his step father ,and at the same time become a complete stranger to his biological father ,making it very tough for he boy to be very happy about being forced to go back to the states . The poor kid has been manipulated and unfortunately ,he is the one hat is going to suffer . The boy should have been back with his father five years ago .

December 26, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  9. sandra

You are all missing the point here! Brazilian grandmothers are like the second mother for a child. When Bruna, Sean's mom died his grandmother wanted to protect him and take care of his grandchild who was in shock with the loss of his mom. In Brazil families are very attached and we praize our grandparents!

David has not seem his son for 5 years because his lawyer have recommended him in order to configur that the mom kidnapped the child. So the child in fact was totaly adjust to Brazil and his Brazilian relatives.

I am not saying that I agree that the mother should leave with the child, but intercultural marriage are hardwhen divorce comes and you have a child.

Boycoting Brazil is ridiculous. Ther has been too many cases of divorce and of intercultural marriage around the world and many that US moms left with the child from Brazil to come to the US. Do you think Brazil should also boycote the US for this reason?

Boycote is out of proportion.

A more clever motion it would be to have all kids that travel inside the US to present IDs. I traveled with my 4 year old son and they never requested and ID. They wore more concerned with the tickets of the luggages. I was shocked!

In Brazil we have specif laws for the child protection and the law system is different that the US. This is may why is diffcuilt for Americans to understand court procedures there. We do never leave a Brazilian airport without the authorization of the other parent.

I guess Americans should work more closely to protect their kids inside their borders.

I wish all the best for Dvid and Sean now and hopefully he will be wise not to restrain Sean from his Brazilian family if he does loves him.

December 26, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  10. Chambuman

Very unfortunate! This has boiled down to the showdown of the might/political will of two countries and an ARROGANT American father. For gods sake...the kid is now 9 years old...its not easy for someone to come and settle down in an Alien country (US Of A!). No one seems to be thinking of what must have happened long back...ie, what "really" caused the Brazil born "mother" to take the kid and leave never to return. I can only imagine this! The story does not elude to what happened earlier. Anyways, the damage seems to be done..hopefully the American father really works on his relationship with the kid and helps him adjust to this "new" environment. Hopefully its not the case of "arrogance" from the American side triumphing all OBJECTIVITY as has been exhibited by the American State in the recent past. In my mind there were a lot of other ways to resolve this situation than making it a legal/political circus. May god help this kid! I hope CNN follows this story and provide some updates.

December 25, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  11. Janet

Athina, what bothers me about your argument–outside of the fact that you bash the US in just the same way you chastise other posters for bashing Brazil–is that you justify breaking the law "for the sake of the children." This child has been kept in Brazil because his 'custodian' has the money and power to do that–when he had no right to do that after his mother died.

I am sorry that the US deports immigrants but I agree with it–those who break the law should be sent home. And I think many of them have kids to thwart just such an action–in the same way that your countryman's family attempted to use this child's emotions as an excuse to act in their own self-interest. The only difference is that in Brazil's case the government supported such an action. I am sorry you are so angry at us. We're right.

December 25, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  12. Janet

This story boggles the mind. The wife kidnapped the child in the first place, then the Brazilian dad's family kept him. David Goldman should never let them see the child again.

December 25, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  13. Heidi

Thank heavens this is finally over. David and Sean both endured alot but are Finally reunited and coming home to the USA. What a perfect Christmas presant.

December 24, 2009 at 5:03 pm |
  14. Mark Moscicki

The Brazilian family should be ashamed for such an orchestrated display and handover. In fact, all of Brazil should be ashamed of that display as well.

Forget the Rio Olympics. I don't want to go to such a place!

December 24, 2009 at 10:08 am |
  15. jujubean

ProudBrazilian: you're crazy. None of those things are true

December 23, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  16. Larry

Uh, athina, what exactly do you mean by "unfair immigration laws". You wouldn't be another one of those who believes that we should just open the borders and let everyone in, would you? Or not escort out those who are here illegally (yes, illegal is the word, not "undocumented" or whatever other word you want to use to not say "illegal".

As for the father and son, the father has the right. Hopefully this works itself out fairly.

December 23, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  17. Janice Mahon

I will sit on pins and needles until this child boards the plane bringing him home where he belongs. However, I understand that there are 50 outstanding cases of American children living in Brazil who have been abducted by a parent. What has happened to these cases?

David Goldman kept his name in the media, he had huge support from this country, but he was up against the corrupt Brazilian legal system for over five years.

Sean will come home to a loving extended family and I hope and pray his assimilation back into our culture will be a kind and loving one.

No father and child should have to go through this nightmare and torture.

December 23, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  18. S

Wow. The people that comment on these posts are absolute morons. I have never understood why CNN thinks commentary from the "everyday idiot" provides any valuable content for their website. I read them to remind myself how glad I am to have graduated from high school. Most of these people clearly did not graduate from high school. Can the commentary. Save us the pain.

December 23, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  19. Pete

Don't forget the Japan case. That guy had the same thing happen. It's just not as cut and dried because the mother is still alive there.

To the guy who said Bush's administration did nothing and the current administration is doing nothing – wrong on both counts. But what really got this done quickly was the media outcry. This could have gone either way when we the people didn't care, but short of the "don't take your kids to Brazil" warning from the state department outing this issue in public was the only way to make this happen. And for those of you who say the state dept. should have done whatever to get this done, you fail International Relations 101.

Also, don't forget the Elian Gonzalez case – that was pretty cut and dried too, but it dragged on for a while. Stuff like this usually isn't very simple.

Read the backstory on the breakup and abduction. A case can be made that the mother had some reason to flee, and I'm sure the Brazilian courts heard all that and more. I'm sure the people around the kid made the dad out to be a monster he never wanted to see. I for one don't know the full truth, I don't think anybody on this forum does either. There's a lot of factors here, a lot of noise, and this isn't easy stuff.

Not to totally exonerate Brazil's stance in all this. From what I hear justice is even easier to buy down there than it is up here, the mother definitely committed a BIG felony in order to procure sole custody, and the decision to leave the kid with the extended family in Brazil after the mother's death and sit on the case until the media got involved was atrocious.

All of those decisions were 100% nationalistic (or profiteering, I don't know) past all reason – Brazilians first, who cares about the American dad. But in the Brazilians' defense, I'm catching a lot of that same attitude in this forum. I caught a lot of that attitude on this side with Elian Gonzalez. This isn't just Brazil being wacky, this is pretty standard stuff.

December 23, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  20. Denise

MG1976,

Let me get this straight, what you are saying is that if a child is abducted and taken to another country, parents no longer have rights as soon as that child has assimilated into the new culture? It does not matter if the person who takes the child is the other parent, it is still abduction. Mr. Goldman's job choices and work ethic have nothing to do with the case, so it is stupid to bring it up. The child was kidnapped and psychologically traumatized and brainwashed by this Brazilian family; I wonder how many psychologists believe that a child that has been through all of that knows what is best for himself? The poor kid is going to need years of therapy because of his mother's and Brazil's actions. Had the mother had the child's best interests at heart, she would have sought custody through legal means. A child needs both parents, provided that both are psychologically sound and not abusive. She chose to conceive a child with an American in the United States; the consequences of that were for her to be subject to our legal system in a divorce/custody case, as it was her choice to get a divorce. And you are right, the kid is what's most important here, unfortunately Brazil and the mother did not agree with you back in 2004.

December 23, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  21. Sonny

It is this type of behavior that many immigrants want to come to the US. Brazil should be ashamed of themselves to display such curruption. It is so obvious that they are in kahoots with the family of this little boy. In my experience of working for the NY State Supreme Court for 30 years, I've seen thousands of custody cases and in many cases the custodial parent or in this case grand parent tried to poison the childs mind as to who he/she wants to live with. In addition, most children will not go against the parent who has temporary custody. They are placed in a very difficult and ackward position. That's why most judges will not entertain the wants or desires of a child but will listen to them in the privacy of their chambers called "in camera" just to get a better understanding as to what is going on or what the parent are up to. The bottom line is " the best interest of the child" and in most cases, it's with one of the natural parents, unless there is suspision of abuse, which is not mentioned at all in this case.
    The US State Department should be very forceful and agressive with the Brazil Government in expediting the custody procedure without further delay or suffer politcal consequences such as a boycot or harsher remedies.

December 22, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  22. Sylvia Morel

CNN – here's an idea. Run the story and do a popularity poll on Brazil. Let them see how the world feels about their treatment of this issue.

December 22, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  23. Sylvia Morel

I agree that we should Boycott Brazil. For all the folks that think that it is fine to kidnap a child, bring hin to another country, deny his father the right to see him and raise him, – I hope your child is never taken from you. For everyone comparing this to illegal immigration and deportation, both this father and his son were in the U.S. legally; this does not involve immigration law. As father as the father selling t-shirts for awareness and support – attorneys and international law, fighting for your son for years – cost a lot of money. Brazil is OFF my list for travel. I will never spend a dime there now.

December 22, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  24. tbivins

To: Athina....NEWS FLASH !!! No!!!...Americans don't expect special treatment, but when it is our own and OUR OWN live in their OWN country, darn right he deserves his child back. When America deports illegals, because they are just that, ILLEGAL, they are breaking OUR laws. I do indeed feel for the families who are seperated, but they are free to take their family back with them. WE AMERICANS are tired of paying the way for illegals to live in OUR country for FREE. And by the way, Sean can learn English when he returns to his HOMELAND, he is not broken !!!! Americans are just tired of supporting Illegal families. But, that is a whole other story. Brazil needs to allow Sean to be with his biological father. If the pages were turned, I am sure the other family would feel the same way. Money cannot buy nor replace his true roots, not to mention the love of his father.

December 22, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  25. MG1976

I think that there are 2 sides to every story. I do not condone what the mother did...if everything that is being reported about David Goldman is true then the mother should have fought him for custody on US soil, although as a non-citizen she may have felt threatened that the courts would not have been fair to her. For everryone criticizing the mother...who here would be happy working to support a very capabale MAN, who should have been working to help support his family?
    The situation at hand is a sticky one, and regardless of who was to blame for creating (I think both parents share blame)...the fact is there is now a 9 year old boy and what's best for him needs to be considered. In my opinion yanking him from the only family he has known is not the answer...though I think that David Goldman needs to begin the process of getting to know his son again. Whatever transfer of custody has to take place, it should be gradual and done only when the child is comfortable with the situation.
    Remember folks the kid is what's important here...don't lose sight of that.

December 22, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  26. Patrick Willyard

The child is an American citizen being held hostage by a foreign government. Diplomatic efforts have failed. If we were talking about the middle east, a military solution would already be being considered. Our lack of courage and initiative in this case shows kidnappers worldwide that America cant ( or wont ) protect its people.

December 22, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  27. Frankie P in TN

Athina Onassis – Really? I mean seriously? Who cares if the boy can speak Portuguese! It is not the blood of his step-dad that flows through his veins...it is that of David Goldman's. Sean's only rightful place in this world is here in the USA with his dad.

Melissa – ROCK ON!!!!

December 22, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  28. Melody

Enough of this already. Boycott Brazil Games!

December 22, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  29. Denise

Athina,

Do you just read what you want to into this case or what? Brazil signed an international treaty requiring them to send children in cases like this to their rightful parents, their rightful country. Like the father said, this is not a custody case, this is an ABDUCTION case. And Brazil is going against the treaty they signed by not sending him back to his father immediately. It is child kidnapping, and nothing short of that. And as far as your anti-American views, this isn't about America or Brazil, this is about a child being torn away from his father at a young age by a heartless mother and it is about her surviving family and the government of Brazil continuing to allow this kidnapping. Whatever your immigration views are, Mr. Goldman has nothing to do with that, this isn't about immigration or what you feel immigrants have suffered in America... stick to the subject at hand. You are a heartless person and whatever you feel America owes you or Brazil or the rest of the world does not lie on Mr. Goldman's shoulders to sacrifice. The world now knows that Brazil is a safe-haven for child abductors.

December 22, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  30. KC

Boycott - and don't have a baby by a Brazillian

December 22, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  31. Brenda S

I think we should boycott everything from Brazil, the olympics, any products made in Brazil and imported to this country, any company who sponsors the olympics until this child is brought home. I have sent emails to Sec. of State Clinton and the White House asking them to intervene and I would urge all of you to do the same. There is a web site in Jeannie's earlier post for the address. These people are corrupt and will do anything to get their way. Let's band together to show them we mean business.

December 22, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  32. Mary

Athina Onassis...and if this happened to you? Your child yanked away from you under the pretense of visiting family in another country and then you never see your child again. The child is led to believe that you are a bad mother and you don't want to see your child and all the while "the new mother" giving the child everything he/she needs and you no longer matter because there is a new family to love your child. If you would stand by and let this happen to you then you are missing the point entirely. It has nothing to do with Brazil or the United States. However, shame on any country that would ignore international law and condone kidnapping.

December 22, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  33. Mary

PARENTAL ALIENATION! Plain and simple. Parental Alienation Syndrome is a form of child abuse that needs to be recognized. This poor father has been made out to be a terrible person and this child has been psychologically abused. This not just happening in Brazil but in the US. I hope the courts will recognize this as a very real form of child abuse.

December 22, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  34. Jeannie

This is a horrendous situation. Please visit http://www.bringseanhome.org for further details. All are correct when they say Brazil needs to be boycotted. This BOYCOTT needs to include "famous" persons who vacation there and bring business ($$$$) to that country.

December 22, 2009 at 6:22 am |
  35. Benito Romero

We Brazilians in the United States would love to see the young child
    Sean return to his father custody. President Lula should interfere in the matter and put an end in this case right away...Let Sean grow up under his father's eyes. May God protect Sean and his father and bring them safe back to the United States.
    Sincerely,
    Casa do Brasil-USA
    New York

December 22, 2009 at 2:09 am |
  36. C. Snow

If the us government believes David Goldman has a just and legitimate cause, it is their responsibility to GIVE BRAZIL A REASON to comply with justice.
    Without discussion or negotiation send the Brazilian ambassador home for a vacation to last at least as long Sean remains there. On day two send 100 Brazilian government employees and important businessmen home not to return for many months; repeat daily. Close borders to ALL Brazilian immigration until this is fully and forever resolved.
    No threats just action, immediate action.

December 21, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  37. shade431

One question for athina onassis.... who did you have translate so you could post your bigoted messages on here ?

December 21, 2009 at 6:19 pm |
  38. Christy

Well said, Melissa! They need to give Sean back to his Father!

December 21, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  39. Jason

I needed to write in response to athina Onassis....You are an idiot!!!...You think that this child should stay with his step father whom is not releated to the boy. The fact is that the mother and this step father commited a crim in any country (kidnapping). They have no right to keep this child from the beggining. The wife had no right to take the child from his home with out a court ruling first! Brazil signed into that law protecting against cases like these. You are sadly confused if you feel that this is just!

December 21, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  40. Lori C.

As a parent it would be hell on earth to have your child taken from you and kidnapped to another country where you had no legal standing. It seems to me that these other countries expect the US Government to tow the line and do the right thing in custody matters but an american having a custody issue in a different country can expect to be treated totally unfairly. Brazil dragging out this custody matter for all of this time is very unfair and very heart wrenching especially when you take in to account that the biological mother is deceased. I pray for this Father and that this will turn out with him walking on to an airplane hand in hand with his son.

December 21, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  41. Gail

Why do so many people believe the child's wishes should be ignored here? This boy may be young, but his memories are all of living in Brazil with the family he has now. He almost certainly remembers very little of his birth father. Although the mother was criminally wrong the way she took the boy to Brazil, that is not the child's fault. This boy is more than just the biological son/property of one angry American man; he is an individual who would be traumatized to be taken away from everyone and everything he knows. I think everyone involved should listen to the boy and do what is best for him, even if that means that the birth father does not regain custody.

December 21, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  42. Hugh Johnson

We need to get the boy back in his father's custody and then boycott Brazil with no aid, no trade, nothing. Let them be on the receiving end for playing politics and giving special favors to the "highly placed attorney" at the expense of a small child!

December 21, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  43. Melissa

Boo Brazil! And for all the posters that are worried about how us Americans deport the illegals...Go back to your own country and come here legally! Why should I support you and all your children???? Stop crying and do things legally and quit sucking dollars out of our country!

Melissa

December 21, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  44. flojo

Just give the son back to his biological father. Do not bash Brazil – The mother left to visit her family, met the step-father, and giving birth to his child passed away. The step-father has his own child, give the real father his son back. End of story

December 21, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  45. Fleno

Why should this surprise any of you – fathers have no rights to their children anywhere. I bet they hit him with child support too!!

December 20, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  46. Nigel P.G. Baldwin

Everyone can not have everything, it is just a fact of life. And if everyone wants everything we may all pay the price in the end. But again, if less than half of us do not succeed here and now or down the road we will all pay the price as well. Even if I can avoid it now I am sure, at some point in time, that I will feel it or someone that can impact my immediate proximity will and that will in turn impact myself.

Best Regards,

Nigel P.G. Baldwin

December 20, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  47. deborah

I think pressure should be put on the Olympic Committee and if any country will not abide by the international courts, they should not be considered as a host nation. Also, withholding favored nation status should happen until this child is returned. Unfortunately, economics is all that seems to be the universal language....money talks and bs walks

December 20, 2009 at 6:53 am |
  48. VAL

BOYCOTT BRAZIL GAMES

December 19, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  49. joe, nj

How is the US Embassy helping solve this outrageous problem?

December 19, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  50. CVA

It is high time we all american fathers should go to Brazilian embessy offices in all the US towns to picket and show support to the dad who is craving to reunite with his only son. Let us recall – we obeyed the Hague convention and returned a Cuban child to his rightful father.

December 19, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  51. Kaili

This is ridiculous!
    He was kidnapped in the beginning by his mother,and now she
    is dead and stepdaddy is still holding onto him!!
    Ridiculous,boycott Brazil!!!!!!!

December 19, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  52. Sharon

This has been going on long enough Brazil needs to give this poor father his son back.
    The Government needs to do more for him..

December 19, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  53. Proud Brazilian

The biological father made a terrible mistake when:

1. Accepted 150 thousand dollars from the mother's family not to go to court (he had asked 500 thou) .

2. Has NEVER asked to see the boy. Everytime he goes to Brazil he promotes a publicity circus, but has NEVER showed any interest in spending some time with the boy.

3. Has sold T-shirts and mugs on the internet with the boy's photo printed on them.

4. When the mother was alive, he always called Brazil collect.

5. All these facts are documented.

December 19, 2009 at 5:43 am |
  54. lynne

Horrible!! Boo, Brazil!! Boycott Brazil!!

December 18, 2009 at 6:13 pm |
  55. JUNIOR

NOTHING NEW TO ME,IM FROM BRAZIL,BEEN LIVING IN USA FOR 17 YEARS,THAT'S WHY I LEFT BRAZIL,ONLY RICH PEOPLE CAN WIN DOWN THERE.THE USA SHOULD SEND SPECIAL FORCES TO RESCUE THE LITTLE BOY AND BRING HIM BACK HOME.
    THERE'S NO LAW IN BRAZIL,UNLESS IF YOU KNOW SOMEBODY, THE STEPFATHER KNOWS A LOT POWERFUL PEOPLE,IT LL BE HARD TO BRING THE LITTLE KID BACK,TRUST ME I KNOW .

WHAT DISGRACE.......SHAME ON YOU BRAZIL

December 18, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  56. ultranol

I don't know if you heard about that, but a Brazilian justice suspended, again, the order which would bring the kid back to his dad in two days. The same justice that accepted a request in June which at that time also suspended the previous order in two days. They are now expecting something to happen until next semester (middle of 2010).

I am Brazilian and I am exceptionally glad that I had the opportunity to leave that incredible mess, planning to never, ever return there.

December 18, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  57. JOHN

This is just plain disturbing. GIVE HIM BACK HIS SON ALREADY!!!!!!

December 18, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  58. athina Onassis

Why don't Americans realize that all countries have their own laws. These are sovereign countries and will apply the law the way their people want it. Not the way Americans want it. It looks like every time Americans have a case ruled against them by a foreign country they start to trash the country, call it names and insult the people. Are Americans to be treated different just because they are Americans?

By the way, Americans routinely separate families sometimes by deporting both parents of little children. Immigrants are routinely yanked away from their children without the slightest care in the name of immigration enforcement. Very sad stories of crying children who will never see their parents again!
    But when the same is done to Americans??

BOOO...HOOOO.. HOOOO ! Hypoccrites.

December 18, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  59. RPP

Brazil just learned from how the US acted in a similar situation; how long did it take us to return Elian GOnzalez to his father after his mother died?

December 18, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  60. Charlotte Norris

I heard that the Brazilian family want to have the boy testify in court...hello, they have had complete custody of him so does anyone think he has NOT been brainwashed by this despicalbe Brazillian family? Send Sean HOME to his dad and USA. Corrupt Brazil should be boycotted, Games banned, Supplies embargoed, imports/exports STOPPED until they end this!!!

December 18, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  61. Paul

This is just unbelievable. It's nothing short of a crime. This is kidnapping in the first degree and whoever's involved, needs to be brought to swift justice. This is an outrage!!!!

December 18, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  62. athina Onassis

Tyson, US use the force everywhere, right? And you call us latin people salvage. Brazil has always been a friendly nation, we've never been in any war, so gimme a break. Where are all the mass destruction weapons in Irak, How about Osama Bin Laden? Do you have any idea about how many soldiers both sides, iraqui women and kids died in this insane war? You've to accept there are laws over there in Brazil too. If you don't like them, change them. By the way Sean has a good life in Brazil, living among people who loves him and cares about him, has a good education and a wealthy family. He is brazilian already...speaks portuguese..there is no return point. For sure they will allow his dad visits without any problem.

December 18, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  63. Howard

I'm with Tyson. Not a single American should visit Brazil. What a kangaroo court. Disgusting.

December 18, 2009 at 9:50 am |
  64. athina Onassis

You know what? In my opinion it is good that he is suffering in his own skin what many immigrants in America feel when unfair immigration laws torn apart their families, separate mother/son. Nobody cares....but when it happens to them....

December 18, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  65. Don

I seem to recall a similar incident between a kid in south Florida and the Cuban goverment. I believe the right thing was done there because despite what a 9 yr. old child says about where he may want to live the decision is not up to him(he is still a child). What the heck is wrong with a government who can't see that,especially when 'Blood' kin are involved. This smacks of 'kidnapping' almost white slavery being sanctioned by a sitting government! Are South American's that corrupt?

December 18, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  66. PJ LINY

This is a disgrace!!! I agree , boycott Brazil but more importantly the Bush administration did nothing and now Obama is doing nothing!! I'm furious that this country isn't protecting it's citizens.

December 18, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  67. nancy

I agree 100% ~~ BOYCOT BRAZIL!!

December 18, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  68. Bree in OH

BOYCOTT BRAZIL!!!!!!!! Not only are they toying with this father! Not only are they condoning kidnapping by ignoring International Law! Brazil is now condoning emotional child abuse and increasing the chances this family will run with this child!
    They have dismissed the U.S. government as just a pesky menace with no real power to do anything to protect one of OUR own!!!!!!
    YES BOYCOTT BRAZIL!!!!!

December 18, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  69. MAD JAX

I've read/heard of this Fathers plight...enough of this B.S.

BOYCOTT BRAZIL !!!

December 18, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  70. Tyson

This U.S military special forces should just fly over there already, kick the door in, take the child back to his father in the U.S and be done with it already. The true father is trying to be with his son and he’s not allowed because Brazil wants to increase there population pool. If they have a problem with it tough! As far as i am concerned it’s a sovereign nation condoning kidnapping if they don’t give the boy back to his father. Imp sure there is volunteers in the U.S special forces willing to risk their lives to save the boy.

December 18, 2009 at 6:17 am |
  71. Paul

Brazil,-- just disgraceful.

December 17, 2009 at 8:16 pm |
  72. Robert

You have got to be kidding me. Brazil is holding a kid that rightly belongs
    to his father and is playing games with us and his dad. I say we hit them were it counts. Boycott Rio games!! Why do we want to hold the games in this place? High crime rates and now breaking international laws.

December 17, 2009 at 4:38 pm |