American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
January 15th, 2010

Haiti's airport overwhelmed

In Port-au-Prince, getting help to the desperate and dying is proving to be a daunting challenge. The airport is in chaos, nearly paralyzed by the sheer number of supply planes trying to get in and the enormous crowd of people trying to get out. Jason Carroll reports.

Filed under: American Morning • Haiti
  1. rick bernard

Jason plz help me...I have 3 children & a grandaughter in Haiti. They were approved to come to the US. They were awaiting to receive Visas this mo. Now the are stuck...I have all paperwork here. Plz help me air this story so I may get help to bring them here...Thx

January 19, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
  2. Sky

CNN provides honest down to earth stories on what is going on in Haiti – thank you. Why are so many military planes getting in and planes which have the MSF field hospital with operating theatres, doctors and medicals supplies not being given some sort of priority???? # times ( possibly more) the planes have been turned away, as have other Major aid org planes. The doctors/nurses are begging for this aid and field hospitals. The doctors & other medical staff are bewildered and frustrated that what they need is so close yet so far away. Put some pressure on the military, ask them why those planes haven't been allowed to land. Seems funny that Celebrities and politicians and tons of journalists who seems to be doing little but hanging around the airport can get in. Thank you CNN for your hands on approach, like the reporter who helped that little boy who had a brick thrown at him. I hope he will be alright, that was a very nasty head wound.

Thank goodness the US Military at long last made water and food drops, better late than never, I just hope they continue to do so.

January 19, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  3. ronvan

1. Why is it we never learn from our mistakes? Listening to some of the stories coming out of Haiti one can only hang their head in disbelief. Drs. being turned away, lack of control & security, food, water, etc..
    2. The almighty 82nd Abn. is on site. TAKE CHARGE! Deploy them where necessary. They can provide security for the people, for food & water points, hospitals, helicopter sites, you name it!
    3. WHY not have 2 or 3 of these super cruise ships move just offshore to provide facilities? Payment for their use could & should be supported by any and all countries that truly want to help fellow humans!
    4. Get SOMEONE in charge!! YES, (Ret) Gen. Honore, the "ragin cajun", is the perfect example of someone being in charge. A person who understands what needs to be done and doesn't care about the "political considerations".
    There are just so many things that could be happening but are not, solely because NO ONE is in charge!!

January 19, 2010 at 6:06 am |
  4. mike breon

DEAR CNN I THINK YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB COVERING THE HAITI DISASTER. MY QUESTION IS SEEING HOW STRONG THE HAITIAN PEOPLE ARE, WHAT IF THAT HAPPENED IN THE USA, COME ON WHEN THE WEATHER MAN SAYS WE HAVE A LARGE SNOW STORM COMING PEOPLE RUSH TO THE STORES LIKE ITS THE END OF THE WORLD I HAVE SEEN IT MANY TIMES, WE ARE NOT AS STRONG AS THE HAITIAN PEOPLE, PEOPLE WOULD FREEK WITH NO CELL PHONE NO TV NO ELECTRIC AND NO STARBUCKS, I THINK PEOPLE NEED TO BE AWARE OF WHAT COULD HAPPEN HERE IN ARE COUNTRY, THE NEW GENERATION WILL NOT BE READY, AT LEAST MY GENERATION HAS CAMPING SKILLS, AND SOME FORM OF SURVIVAL SKILLS, BUT I FEEL SORRY FOR THAT YOUNGER GROUP. MAYBE THAT WOULD BE A GOOD POLL QUESTION COULD YOU AS AMERICANS SURVIVE A HAITI EARTHQUAKE OR DISASTER? PS TONY HARRIS DOES A GREAT JOB, TONY KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

January 18, 2010 at 8:51 pm |
  5. RWebb

According to friends in Port-Au-Prince, the Dominican Republic has sent over vehicles to help navigate through the rubble and water trucks.

January 18, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  6. JACK

i understand that the airport there cannot handle any more landings etc for resupplying of aid. Question: why can't C-130 herculese aircraft do air drops throughout the area? Pallets of water and food can be dropped in without having to land.

January 18, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  7. Craig Brown

I keep hearing that there are a lot of resources stuck at the airport–would the use of helicopters speed up the distribution process to more remote areas?

How is the Dominican Republic helping Haiti?

January 18, 2010 at 6:30 am |
  8. Fr. Tom Schaefer

Mr Carroll-

I just viewed your morning report on CNN– Honest, compassionate, informative, professional and extremely humaine-
    No need to feel the guilt of which your spoke. You are bringing awareness to us all and that enable us to act. Be proud of work well done.
    Fr. Tom

January 17, 2010 at 10:40 am |
  9. Miss Bu

Sadly this is so reminiscent of what happened after Katrina did anyone learn anything from that. It seems not I see pictures of Clinton showing up to see the damage is she going to dig threw the rubble for survivors I think not. Please send Lt. General Honoray it seems he knows how to respond to natural disasters.

January 16, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  10. MARY

JANUARY 15,2010

I KNOWN PORT-AU- PRINCE GET AFFECTED MORE.

IS THERE ANYONE CHECKING ON THE REST OF THE PEOPLE
    I DO NOT HEAR ANYTHING FROM MY FAMILY SOME OF THEM LIVE
    PETIT-GOAVE , LEOGANE, AND PORT-SALUT.

PLEASE LET ME KNOWN IF THERE IS ANY NEWS.

January 15, 2010 at 11:03 am |