American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
January 18th, 2010

Congressman buys one-way ticket to Haiti

He represents more Haitian-Americans than any other member of Congress. That's why Kendrick Meek couldn't wait any longer to visit the devastated country.

The representative from South Florida bought a one-way ticket from Miami to the Dominican Republic, landing Sunday morning just after midnight and driving overnight to Haiti. He joined us on Monday's American Morning, live from Port-au-Prince.

Read more: Latest updates on Haiti

Filed under: Haiti
  1. Greg.B

My ex-girlfriend and one of my kids had die in the earthquake. And she left two of my kids behind with a friend of my. I was wonder, is it possible to bring them in boston, that 's where i live. I am not a citizen yet but soon will be. I had a green card and everything .please let me know what should i do about this situation.I have 7 days left to do something email me at gregorybourjolly@yahoo.fr.

January 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Greg.B

I have 2 kids in Haiti with no hlep everyone that i had is nowhere to be fing. One of my friends gave me 10 days to come get them,i have 7 days left if not hes gonna have to leave them in the street by them self with no food no water because he have to leave the capital to go to cap-haitian. I dont know what to do to talk to icant sleep i cant eat. please help me say something to me any one email me at gregorybourjolly@yahoo.fr thanks............................................

January 24, 2010 at 9:33 pm |
  3. M. Raymond Sheppard

I hope the Power-That-Be do not end rescue operations too soon and cause the additional deaths of possibly hundreds of people still trapped under the rubble in Haiti.

January 23, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  4. celeste deshomme

My family is in Carrefour. I am a US citizen by birth and Haitian citizen by marriage. My family has recieve no aid from the government and they are just 10 miles from capital, WHY? they are hungry, cold, thirsty, and in need of help please help the people in the outlying areas of the capital.

January 23, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  5. Bertha

Dear Cooper and Dr. Gupta,

I am a Haitian who has no word to explain my and every Haitian's pain. Likewise, I have no word to express my gratitude on behalf of all the Haitians for your superbe work in Haiti. You are all in our prayers because we are a people of faith. We believe and have hope no matter how painful our life can be.

Dear Karl,
    I feel necessary to answer you from your comment on the woman who said she jete the children. We are a very sentimental and caring people. Haitian will do whatever it takes to protect their family and never get tired of them. Remember Karl, we are living a moment of trauma, stress that will never go away. At this time we are not ourselves. She is talking out of anger about something that she has no control of and don't even know what to do or say. You said Haitian don't cry, I wish you could be at a Haitian funeral prior to the quake to see Haitian crying.

I thank everybody on the ground
    God bless you and the whole world

January 23, 2010 at 1:25 am |
  6. Jennifer

This is going across facebook. Someone who knows someone get this info to the right person!
    Joseph Ricardo URGENT PLS SPREAD from Carol Fipp, Hopital Sacre Coeur, Milot, Haiti 904-223-7233 904-223-7233: We have a full-service hospital with 2 ORs, trauma and ortho team waiting for patients but only rcvd 4 patients so far! Please spread to highest level of US govt possible. Send us patients NOW

January 22, 2010 at 12:41 am |
  7. amy zachary penton

My Mom, a RN, has recently landed in Turks and Caicos. She has brought medical supplies to include gloves, antibiotics, wound drressings. She is unable to find transport to Haiti because of the fear of Turks and Caicos boat owners and possible commandeering of their vessels. She has been in contact with the Red Cross in Turks and Caicos. They are unsure whether they will be allowed to take her with them during one of their supply runs. She has gone to this region to offer her skills and supplies, what an incredible shame it would be if she were not able provide these people with much needed care. If anyone has any knowledge of people she could contact in regards to finding transportation (she will personally fund), please follow-up with your comments. I will be in communication with her daily.

January 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  8. Bob Ramos

know for a fact that rescue teams from cal have been stuck in texas for four days and new york rescue people are sitting in miami waiting to go they say airport to busy. maybe if the clintons and other politicians would stay home instead of bringing the airport to halt when they come in with all the security needed just to get a picture of them sitting in a tent help could flow faster. sure they dont make them circle for hours waiting to land like the rescue planes have to . could do the same thing they are doing from the states. most hatians dont know and dont care who they are anyway

--------------

Amen brother.....If Meek (of this article) can contribute some skill that is now needed in Haiti, his place is in Haiti. If he cannot, then he needs to be elsewhere. The same holds true to all politicians of any country and all VIPs that want to go there.

I have to give Madonna and Bush (the son) credit. Both wanted to go there and see for themselves but each had the good sense to know that that would have diverted badly needed resources. Both chose to stay home and try to raise moneys for recognized charities that benefit Haiti.
    I hope that all politicians and VIPs take note of the behavior of Bush and Madonna.

January 21, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  9. Steve

This is just another example of ineffective government run by people who lack accountability and are to far removed from reality. I don't care if it is a republican or democratic administration...American government fails as an institution because it has lost its accountability to the people.

Why is a representative leaving to help people outside of his own country when he should be putting all of his time and effort into representing the people of his own country?????????? Is this on his own time, at his own expense etc. etc. etc.?????? There are other institutions and organizations to handle this type of need, the representative should be focusing on the needs of his own citizens and stay home and WORK.

January 21, 2010 at 5:54 am |
  10. Renee' Brown

Always people full of insecurities and self loathing complain while sitting on their couches at home in the US, or other places, about those out in the mainstream getting the job done. Dr. Gupta has gone over and above anything I have ever seen a Doctor do, and I am a Nurse, so I know. I praise him to The Highest. If Our Lord Jesus Christ showed up tomorrow, there would be someone that would retort that they didn't like his hair, or that he worked out of his range. Be real. If you aren't walking in someone's shoes...PLEASE...keep your mouth SHUT !

January 21, 2010 at 1:25 am |
  11. Fran Rajotte

We are trying desperately to get medical supplies to our clinic in Petite Riviere de Nippes in southwest Haiti. We will be able to treat patients east of us. Visitation Clinic is a 4,062 sq. ft. two-year-old facility with a staff of 28. We are ready and eager to take in patients from neighboring towns and cities affected by the earthquake. We sustained minor damages and are fully functional. If someone can get us meds and supplies we can start saving lives. Please email me at VisitationHF@aol.com
    Thank you.

January 21, 2010 at 12:22 am |
  12. nanaMAN

What does South Florida have to be proud of? Congressman Kendrick Meek is there to service his own agenda. He could have flown on a gov aircraft instead of this show boat display. His presence in Haiti will not help the relief effort – what is he going to do? He is there to make a few speeches and get his image recorded on video tape. The Coast Guard is working on the restoration of the port facility. The NAVY has secured the airport and working to secure outlying locations. The NAVY is preparing for the post disaster rebuilding effort and already has demolition and construction experts in Haiti with more on the way. No one has a warehouse filled with complete buildings or power plants or water plants ready to be shipped in to Haiti. The media and private individuals have no idea what it is going to take to rebuild this country – all they have are complaints and questions no one can answer. And again – what does South Florida have to be proud of?

January 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
  13. Dayngr

South Florida is so proud!

January 20, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  14. daddygogo

got about 100 people starving to death in bertin, carrefour area any ideas on how to get food to them?

January 20, 2010 at 12:57 am |
  15. Rose

My cousin in her second year in nursing school was at school when the earthquake happen, she was covered with blocks until someone get her out. The person took her to 3 different hospital before they could find a Doctor and after they issued presciption and I don't know where they expect them to get medication at that time. She is badly hurt could not walk not even urinate last time they call me, but one of my uncle went and get her brought her back to Port de Paix even thought they spend almost two day on the road but she is now getting the help that she need. Their is other places beside the capital that is crumble but no one seem to send help to them.

I was trying to adopt a child in haiti my paper was sent there since 2008, until now I am still waiting. I sent some e-mail to the DHS and other AskCi@state.gov but no response yet. I want to travel there to try to get her but no flight to go there.

January 20, 2010 at 12:02 am |
  16. CHRIS

i feel really bad for all the people that are suffering and in need of water and food..
    but,what concerns me, is that all these millions of dollars and suppleies being sent to help the poor people in haitia,which is wonderful.
    .but my question is this.....
    .where was all that help for the united states when their own people in our own country in new orleans, had the devasted flood..and is still in dire need of restoration..????

January 19, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
  17. David

What I just can't seem to understand and maybe someone on here can help me out but how is it that CNN was able to get their top news reporters into the country without any problems? This truly amazes me to hear the reports that medical staff, nurses, supplies, food, water, etc., is being held up but we have reports coming in by the minute from these reporters.

Then to read that someone believes that Dr. Gupa is crossing the line by offering his medical experience in an effort to help. What is wrong with people that in a situation of this nature that someone would be concerned that his reports could be altered due to him helping. At least he is doing more than the rest. I don't judge you Dr. Gupa, you are doing the right thing and please don't change over what others say.

Let's truly think of these poor people and look around at what we all got versus what they never had and now have even less.

January 19, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  18. pattyo

Will somebody please get to the Hotel Montana and help in the search for the Linn University students. This is becoming disgraceful to have a father pleading on TV for help and no one from this administration seems to be paying attention. This is a real opportunity to show "yes we can" and get these desparate families some help.

January 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm |
  19. Grammy Duke

Mobile hospitals are being held back. Other critical relief personnel and supplies are also stuck in transit. I see no highly skilled command and control structure for such an emergency. No one seems accountable.
    If New Orleans is any example FEMA took control, held back massive private relief efforts while the Feds. set up marshall law and practiced how to take control by utilizing massive abuse of our civil rights.

Its takes common sense, experience and leadership. Without it massive unnecessary suffering and death will result. Clean pure water widely available is critical, field hospitals and personnel quickly in place, experienced rescue personnel with equipment and supplies, highest priorities. There are good qualified people out there but it seems like too many unnecessary road blocks. We should be able ot do better.

January 19, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  20. susie noble

How many DISASTERS will it take for there to be a stock pile of medicines and emergency relief supplies available? There are PEOPLE IN NEED of pain and antibiotic medicine and not enough surgical supplies in the hospital still operating... Haitians are dying because of this lack.. As a nation of wealth, it is scary to realize we aren't prepared. We weren't prepared as a nation to Help with the most basic needs to a country in our own hemisphere ... It's another sad day in Haiti.

January 19, 2010 at 11:54 am |
  21. DB

Read an earlier comment by jerry and couldn't agree more. The politicians need to quite trying to get photo ops and make way for people who want to save lives... that goes for most of the media teams too. We need information and updates, but there are too many journalists there just driving around taking pictures. They don't need to be there unless they're out on the street providing medical aid or clearing roads. Let the real workers get in there and get things done.

January 19, 2010 at 11:17 am |
  22. BEVERLY ROBINSON

I SAT DOWN AND CRIED AS IF SOMEONE IN MY OWN FAMILY HAD PERISHED. THEIR IS SO MUCH MISERY THERE. IT IS TO MUCH FOR ME TO WATCH. HAS ANY COUNTRY TRIED TO GET THE ORPANS OUT OF THE COUNTRY. IF THE UNITED STATES WOULD BRING SOME OF THE CHILDREN TO THE STATES I MYSELF AND OTHERS WOULD BE HAPPY TO TAKE SOME THESE KIDS UNTIL PERMANENT HOMES COULD BE FOUND FOR THEM

ALSO,COMMENTS LEFTBY SOME PEOPLE ON OTHERS SIGHTS HAS MADE ME SHAME FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE TO SAY THAT I AM AN AMERICAN, THESE PEOPLE SAY SUCH HURTFUL AND NASTY THINGS ABOUT THE HAITIAN PEOPLE. HOW CAN ANYONE WITH AN OUNCE OF BRAIN IN THERE HEAD SAY THAT THESE PEOPLE BROUGHT THIS ON THEMSELVES. PAT ROBERTSON CALLS HIMSELF A MAN OF GOD AND FOR HIM TO MAKE SUCH A LUDACRIOUS STATEMENT IS BEYOND BELIEFT TO ME, IT IS PEOPLE LIKE HIM WHO GIVE THE TRUE FOLLOWERS OF CHRISTIANITY A BAD NAME. EVERY CULLTURE HAS GROUPS OF PEOPLE WHO GO AGAINST WHAT THEY AS A PEOPLE BELIEVE SO FOR HIM TO SAY THAT THE PRACTICE OF VOODOO AND WITCHCRAFT IS WHY THE HAITIAN PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING SO MUCH IS JUST PLAIN STUPID.

IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE WHO KNOWS OF SUCH A PLAN FOR THE HAITIAN ORPHANS PLEASE POST A WEB SITE SO THAT I MAY SEE IF THERE IS ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO TO HELP THESE CHILDREN. THE US SHOULD CONSIDER A PEDRO PAN AIRLIFT, THAT IS THE NAME OF THE CUBAN AIRLIFT THAT GOT CHILDREN OUT OF CUBA WHEN CASTRO TOOK CONTROL OF CUBA, THE CHILDREN WERE CAREDFOR AT A LOCAL CATHOLIC BOARDING SCHOOLS AND RECIEVED ALL OF THERE HEALTH CARE AT THE LOCAL HOSPITALS. PLEASE LETS GET THESE KIDS AND THE PEOPLE OF HAITI THE HELP THAT THEY DESPERATELY NEED.

January 19, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  23. Barbara

I want to know why Israel is able to have a hospital set up and running for days now and the U.S. is still trying to get it done?

January 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  24. Dominique Jones

Please send some help to the people of Martissant #25 in Carrefour,
    Port-au-Prince. They have not seen or heard of any rescue efforts. They have no food or water. People are dying over there. Please send help. Thanks.

January 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm |
  25. Walter Carvalho

As an American, I'm extremely concerned with America's response time in providing critical medical services and supplies to the suffering people in Haiti. This is the 18th of January and as yet there seems to be no significant sign of U.S. portable hospitals in Haiti. Other lesser countries are already operational and are actively saving Haitian lives. Where the hell are our medical people?
    Wagon Trains moved faster in the days of the OLD West then we do today. Shame on us.
    Mr. Clinton, please get our medical people off their hind quarters and on to the job.

January 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm |
  26. jerry

January 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
  27. Steve Corley

Maybe Meek can convince these folks to create Refugee Centers in Port du Paix and Gonaives away from the city center and get teams that are being held out of country into Jacmel and Les Cayes.

Perhaps he can put the post disaster action into motion, already it's crunch time, they can't wait until the last body is rescued/recovered.

January 18, 2010 at 10:25 am |