American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
January 27th, 2010

Obama faces tough sell, analysts say

President Obama needs to reassure the nation and members of his own party with his speech, analysts said.

By Ed Hornick, CNN

Washington (CNN) – President Obama's State of the Union speech Wednesday will be a tough sell for millions of Americans struggling under the weight of an economic recession, political analysts said.

"The president will respond as he always does to emergencies: with a speech. In this case, it's his State of the Union address," said David Frum, a CNN contributor and former speechwriter to President George W. Bush. "The Obama team always assumes the best remedy for any Obama difficulty is more Obama."

Frum said Obama's new populist tone, which he said emerged after the Democrats' surprising loss in the Massachusetts special Senate election, might work short-term if he uses it in Wednesday's speech, but it won't work over the long haul.

"If so, it would be a big mistake. It may win the president an immediate bounce in the polls by exciting downcast liberals and progressives," Frum said in a CNN.com commentary. "But that bounce will prove limited and short-lived, and it will come at the expense of more trouble not very far down the road."

Read the full story

What do you hope to hear in President Obama's State of the Union? Sound off below.

Filed under: Politics
  1. Mitchell

What I would like to hear Obama say tonight is that " I resign as president effective immediately".

January 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  2. melissa

John Roberts said this AM that this will be Obamas first State of the Union address. Ummmmm....sorry but didn't he do the State of the Union address last year or was that just a dream?

January 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  3. Joseph New Jersey

The medical factor of marijuan is more bennificial then half maybe more than the legal so called medication over or behind the counter. Need I say more. " " can cause diareah itchy bleeding analy , heart complications upset stomach, as these maybe signs of so ask your doctor if " " is right for you. Please, marijuana doesn't cause any of these symptoms. I know i left out more than 2/3 of the symptoms there's so many I can't remember all of them.
    I can really go on all day .

Have you seen any of the documentaries on marijuana that msnbc has on. One in particular of the 60 year old lady who has an auto immune deficiancy multiple scolorosis I believe it was who was on like thirty different medications none of which worked, who stayed clear of marijuana for all these innaccurate reports on marijuana from people such as yourself who don't have a clue on what they're talking about as far as marijuana goes, turned to marijuana finally for the first time in her life and the pain went away almost instantly. If she wasn't so ill-informed she wouldn't have been suffering all these years and I mean years she was like 60 years old thats in some cases a whole life time!! Another lady had severable palsy which caused her to studder tremendously, and I mean that in the most respectful manner, and she also almost instantly balances out and doesn't have to suffer. Unfortunatly she has to get it illegally and in small sums in which if it was legal could probaly get larger amounts and not be ripped off if it was legal.
    But no not marijuana, marijuana is the demon. No all those bogus medications she was on was the demon. Please Obama do me and the country a favor and watch that documentary if you haven't already seen it cause I don't live in California!! And you want change so do I lets change.
    The name of the documentary is Pot for Life Please watch it!
    Its time to take charge Obama!!

Your a realist so be realistic!! Please reconsider the pros andvery minor if any cons of the legalization of marijuana it can help us all in many ways. I hope you read this I really do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 10:22 am |
  4. Joseph New Jersey

Why don't you really consider the legalization of marijuana?

-it can help our economy in several ways-

1. overpacked jails, those taxes can be put to real criminals, or cut all together.

2. The taxation of marijuana as Bill Maher stated can alone chop down the deficit, and has in California , imagine the whole country.

3. create an export corp. which will expand global business, as well as, provide jobs at export sites- its not like we don't have a unemployment problem in our country. I'm one of the unemployed suffering just to let you know.

once again for all of my above reasons or ways it can help our economy can have a big financial impact on our deficit!! Please be realistic Obama, and try not to be among those ignorant who have no real reason for being on the side against marijuana. These are people who are unexperienced with the substance. In my eyes, as well as, many scientifically studies marijuana is not a problem, but can be a solution.

p.s. I know your take on the scientifical research about the enviornment, you belive and trust in scientists in this matter. Why not the marijuana studies.!!

January 27, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  5. Joseph New Jersey

Why hasn't Obama considered the fact based option of legalizing marijuana? We all know the minor dangers and great awards marijuana can have on both our health and financial crisis we face here in the United States! How come cigarettes, as well as, the leading cause of death "alcohole" which in 2001 a reported 17,000 deaths occur every 21 minutes seconds, don't remeber exactly if it was minutes or seconds, but regardless of which one is correct both are outrageous, legal, but marijuana the one that hasn't had any related cause of death or any connection some how on the illegal and non-negotiable side! Marijuana brings peace, on the other hand alcohole creates more violence! Seriosly Obama you need to seriously consider the legalization of marijuana! I mean lets be real! I'm not joking!! We all know marijuana being illegal in all actuality is more of a hurt to our society than it being legal. Financially it has crippled our nation rather than empower our nation. And you take it for a joke whenever asked about it! Please tell me the true reason behind this herendous law. Please disregard my spelling I was poor at spelling before I began to smoke!! Now thats a joke!! LOL!!

January 27, 2010 at 9:26 am |
  6. Donna

I would love to hear how they plan to regulate the banks and Wallstreet so we are able to get out of this economic depression.

January 27, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  7. Rebecca DeWitt

Like many other people, I'm very concerned about the president's drop in popularity. There are a couple of points worth mentioning, however. First, I thought Candy Crowley said it best; the country has been very divided in a hyper-partisan manner for some time now and Pres. Obama's numbers are now a more accurate reflection of that fact.
    Secondly, I'm surprised that neither John or Kiren have mentioned the 3 point margin of error on that poll. Statistically, I think that his numbers reflect the great "political divide" in our country and his popularity was bound to come down, sooner or later, as it has with almost all other presidents since JFK.
    Ironically, this president wants nothing more than to try and heal some of the divisions between us. At the very least, he deserves credit for his efforts, even if the cooperation from the Republicans has been scant. Most importantly, he also deserves credit for trying to help those people who are down (and out?) from policy mistakes made over the past 30 years...and Obama has to walk a political tight rope in his efforts to fix the mistakes of past administrations, as well as those well-intended errors of his own.
    Why is it that so many people (including journalists) are quick to criticize and make the public even more jittery than it already is? I love "American Morning,: but I do think CNN should take a page from the journalistic playbook of pbs. We don't need our journalists working so hard to tear our government down. It demoralizes the viewers and has a negative impact generally on how people feel about their elected officials and country.
    One last comment. The earthquake in Haiti was horrible and I wouldn't wish it on our worst enemy. Yet at least – for just a few days – it reminded us all of what's really good about our nation and the good-heartedness of our people.

January 27, 2010 at 8:53 am |
  8. Roman, Butler, Pa

Good morning guys.
    I'll be all ears tonight. And, I will be looking at the Republican response. I think that is just as much of importance as is the Presidents words. There is some real tension in both the House and the Senate.

And, I would hope President Obama would speak from the Heart. And, act from the Heart. That's where his safety net is. Cause as far as I can see there are a lot of Republicans that don't have a heart. To be quite frank and brutally honest they're the ones who put this country in this mess. Sure, the Democrats had a helping hand, but if people remember when 9/11 happened the Democrats were scared to go against Bush and the Republicans. So they went along with so many destructive policies.

But, now, the Democrats need to grow up a little and quit quibbling among themselves and do what's right for the country not for themselves. Cause voters are skeptical and rightfully so.

January 27, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  9. Dan Nelson Lafayette,IN

I'd like to hear that he cares about those of us that can't work because of medical disabilities and are on social security. Social security will not increase this year so it will be another tough year for those who are sick and cannot work. I had a part time job for two and a half years until my back went out because of an accident where two TV's fell on my back in a warehouse and every once in a while i can't bend without very much pain. I'm also diagnosed as pschitzo affective with psycotic features and depression which has put me in the hospital a couple times. I would wish that he would say to those of us who can't work would receive some of the stimulus plan through medicaid which charged me $727 a month for medical services which I thought was being paid for by medicare but now I owe nearly $4000 to the hospital that I was never billed for. We the sick, poor and elderly need a stimulus plan also! Now I have another bill of $111 for my medical needs until i pay off the debt all the while my spend down adding up to make me feel like I will never get out of this hole! He needs to address those of us that are sick,poor and elderly that are having a hard time getting by with about $20,000 from social security yearly. He being a Christian man should first help the poor, sick and elderly who are having a hard time paying their bills which are increasing and social security and medicaid are not!

January 27, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  10. Janet Falmouth

Uniting Republicans and Democrats is not the issue here. There are probably more Independents now. I changed my party so I could vote for the most qualified. The President needs to admit it was not a "we can" thing with the healthcare. He shut the door on the American people. That should not have been a priority. Economy and jobs!

January 27, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  11. Stephanie Hayward

Enough of the blame game. We could go back to the Clinton era and blame them for overturning the Glass Steagall Act, but blaming isn't productive. We need to provide sustainable solutions to real problems for the middle class which is the backbone of this nation. Bandaids not working! I talked to a Wells Fargo banker the other day and he said they are only awarding 1 out of every 90 small business loans. What about credit reports that are being damaged by medical issues that are generally involuntary.? What about the banks who are raping the general public? Someone needs to investigate Geitner! These are real issues for real people.

January 27, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  12. gary

While u are checking out Ohio look at Belmont County. A red light .

January 27, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  13. Joe

For President Obama, or most any member of this congress to address the topic of fiscal discipline would be like a drunk extolling the virtues of temperance.

January 27, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  14. laura vedaa

why do commercials recommend a lawyer for really reduced taxes? simplify the process,

January 27, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  15. laura vedaa

may workermans compensation no longer be deducted from paychecks with a national health care plan, wv has subletted this program with no one held accountable.

January 27, 2010 at 8:22 am |
  16. Paula Raeburn

President Obama can't catch a break. A man in Youngstown OH said he is waiting for the President to give his outline on how more jobs will be created. At the same time, people are yelling about too much government and they don't want the government involved in their day to day life. So what does he do? Ignore the problems by saying, "I don't want to get involved." Would this keep the too much government people happy?

I am so tired of people playing the blame game. Here's an idea. For one day, no one interviewed on TV or radio can say anything negative about another politician. They can only give ideas on what they would do to help the country during this difficult time. Of course it would most likely be a very slow news day and newscasters would be scrambling to air kid and cute puppy stories because no one will talk with them.

Try, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Be part of the solution, not the problem. Enough.

January 27, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  17. Steve Siebert

The way this country has been handled at this time has angered me more then ever before. This government is ignorant and can't see the history that this country has been doing since world war II. In essence this country has been intervening/invading in the middle east for 60 years. If any country throughout the world had done the same thing here on this continent we would now be the terrorists. If we want to end these threats to this country it is time to pull all our troops out of the middle east, ALL OF THEM!!-I support the troops 100 %-–We are in more then 120 countries throughout the world-–IT IS TIME TO BRING THEM ALL HOME-and protect our country here--If Barack O Bama wakes up he will understand that doing that would end the terrorist attacks over time and stimulate the economy in this system far more then taking my tax paid money and printting record high money and giving away in a system that should be a free economy. I voted for Obama and now i no longer trust him. He is IGNORANT!!

January 27, 2010 at 8:00 am |
  18. Hal Helmboldt

I REALLY want to hear President Obama address the dysfunction of our Congress by addressing their blatant hostility toward the American people and how he plans to force those who willfully engage in hostile politics against the American people – by holding them accountable for their hostile actions, such as filibustering and deliberate bipartisan blockading that continues to cause further harm to the majority of the American people. I want to hear how he will hold them accountable, once and for all! Enough already! Obama needs to show some serious backbone and punish our elected leaders who have their own selfish agendas at heart, rather than the best interest of the American people at heart. The time is now! I want to hear about it. I'm losing hope out here!

January 27, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  19. joe tierney

why doesn't the government GIVE every American with an income of under $150,000 a "bonus" of $100,000: a one time deal, (while taxing half of the money as income), to stimulate the economy? Simple and cheaper than anything so far!! Foreclosures would be down, people would buy goods, pay bills ,while, creating jobs and investing in america

January 27, 2010 at 7:46 am |
  20. Robert

I will not watch America get embarrassed once again by this joke of a president.. I'll wait for the Thursday morning quarterbacking for the highlights, if you can even call them highlights. God Bless America !

January 27, 2010 at 7:46 am |
  21. Donald E Clevenger

Where is the change, Peloski and Ried are still making "deals". Congress voted itself a raise and it was not vetoed. Seniors did not get an increase. I hope my President discovers the power of a veto.

January 27, 2010 at 7:46 am |
  22. Phillip Draper

50%?? Pretty high approval rating for a president who took over 8 years of mess!! It's not an excuse, it's the truth!! Facts are facts..polls are not and they do NOT give a real feeling of what REAL people in this country feel.
    Two BIG mistakes that Obama is making and are easily corrected, and he NEEDS to correct them yesterday are:
    1. Forget trying to bring the parties together!! Its not gonna ever help or work as Republicans are bent on causing him trouble and Democrats need to simply "focus" and back their Democratic president with hard work and unwavering loyalty.

2. JOBS, JOBS, JOBS....Health care? Important but not most important and until he gets people working? His rating will continue to plummet. Period.

I voted for him, I think he's is and was the best choice for the country, but I'm tired of the "wait". I realize it's a process but instead of the unending back and forth on health care and the huge waste of time its been working on it, focus that energy and effort on jobs....period. I cannot stress it enough!! Did I say JOBS???!!

Also as far as both wars go....he did NOT create the mess; but now he is the ONE delegated to clean it up; hard task and it will take time.

January 27, 2010 at 7:44 am |
  23. Melanie

Watching the news this morning, I was disgusted. Everyone is blaming President Obama for the economic state that we are in. If people really looked at the situation, It is Congress and the Senate and the Lobbyist that are causing the problems. They are the ones holding up the health care reform, they are the ones that are slacking on passing bills and making decisions. President Obama is better than Bush Jr. Obama has my and my families approval of 95%. From Canton, New York

January 27, 2010 at 7:39 am |
  24. J Robinson

I think President Obama needs to remind people of the state of our country not even a year ago. He needs to let Congress know how stupid they look when they can't come to an agreement on anything, but act like they are working so hard for the best interest of our nation. I'm tired of people tearing him all the time, when they don't have better answers

January 27, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  25. Dave Yarmouth

My most fervent hope is to hear the President take the blame for his administration's failed policies and tender his resignation.

January 27, 2010 at 7:37 am |
  26. don connecticut

I just can't get over how when one correspondent said "Obama admits he made some mistakes...", the other one chimes in immediately with "well, George Bush said he couldn't think of ANY mistakes he'd made".
    Geez, will Obama EVER be allowed to make his OWN mistakes w/o the so called "fair" media defending him?
    How many more years will you and Obama blames Bush?
    And, the reports about how the stimulus money is being spent? What a poor job. Is there ANY criticism of money being wasted? Of course, people are benefitting. So what? $5.5 million dollars to create 31 jobs? Unbelievable!! Why not just give them $100,000 each and call it a day...

January 27, 2010 at 7:31 am |
  27. Sue

For once I would like to hear a speech that actually unites the dividing parties...republican, democratic, conservative, independent, tea party...choose a name. Stop blaming the past administrations or people now. It only serves to further divide and anger and serves no point other than to allow various media outlets to focus on who is right or who is left and who is more at fault. We are at the core one nation...called the United States and if we don't stop the fighting and blame game then that is in jeopardy now more than ever. The people are the losers in this game. That unity needs to start with him. He needs to grow up and realize that he has to take accountability as he is the President right now and moving forward. The past is done.

January 27, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  28. padman

It is rather surprising to hear John Roberts and Susan Malvo spin that the President will now send a humble message for the republicans to join the democrats. Susan and John should remember that the democrats and the President were arrogant with their 60 vote super majority for better part of last year and thrashed the republicans.
    The president's freeze is like getting a $2 cash back on a $ 10,000 charge on a credit card.

January 27, 2010 at 7:23 am |
  29. Leopold K. Odah

"In the year 2000, the PLA [People's Liberation Army] had more students in America's graduate schools than the U.S. military, giving the Chinese a growing understanding of America and its military." (p. 27, 2008 Joint Operating Environment, a study by the U.S. Joint Forces Command). It is time for Obama to put money on US military Officers education.

January 27, 2010 at 7:23 am |
  30. L. E. Burnette

I would like to hear him mention the passing of Pernell Roberts, not because he was an actor, but because he was a Southerner who defied the stereotype and, in 1965, marched with African-Americans in Selma.

January 27, 2010 at 7:21 am |
  31. Jon

Obama has set a new standard for teflon.....it would be an excellent leadership move to, for once, take responsibility and show some accountability for where our country is, and quit blaming Bush and the right.

January 27, 2010 at 7:20 am |
  32. Timmy

Why watch the State of the Union, it will be more liberal lies! The only promise Obama has kept from his campaign was the certain redistribution of wealth from people who work and those who dont! Thats not the change the working class people had imagined! Until Obama starts making those recieving free assistance work for their bennies and making sure the recipients actually qualify and need the assistance then he`s not my President, he`s a one term lame duck as far as I see it!

January 27, 2010 at 7:14 am |
  33. William Hawley

There is a lot of hoopla in the media that President Obama will be focussing on help for the middle class during the State Of The Union address. However, the real focus is on a favorite section of the middle class....families with children. While I agree with raising the subsidization (exemptions) up to a point far short of doubling, to completely ignore the other "checkoff" group – seniors and blind – is absolutely wrong. President Obama already broke a campaign promise to them by not eliminatiiong their income tax altogether. Here is an opportunity to salvage at least a portion of that promise.

It isn't just the middle class parents who bear the brunt of financing the government.

January 27, 2010 at 7:12 am |
  34. ken

I would like obama to say how he is going to eliminate the 12 trillion national debt which is oing to triple to 36 trillion in 10 years. He has already stated he will not cut defense, home land security, medicare, medicaid social security, and education. I would also like him to explain why he gave 23 trillion in 0% loans to wall street and spends a trillion a year on the defense budget and campained as a liberal.

January 27, 2010 at 6:57 am |
  35. J Bolton

I was born in Youngstown when it was a thriving steel town. My father, grandfather and uncles worked at Sheet and Tube – then the politicians and greedy businessmen decided they wanted cheaper labor and eviscerated the middle class. First it was Japan; now it's China and, with the destruction of the middle class's ability to purchase goods and services, our country finds itself weakened and at the mercy of a communist country. All I can say is that I am glad I don't have grandchildren who will be living under the red flag thanks to corporate greed.

January 27, 2010 at 6:54 am |
  36. Tareyn

While I respect CNN's ability to proivde fair and real reporting. I feel Obama is being bashed on the stimulus issue. Obama has been president for 1 year. He inherited a mess and a huge deficite created by our former president George Bush. People in Youngstown, Ohio are angry because they want jobs. A man interviewed this morning was angry at Obama because he lost his job 6 months ago. His job loss is not the presidents fault. Obama promised change, but he did not promise instant change. Any adult should know that things have to get worse before they get better. I think CNN needs to focus on all the stages of the stimulus project and explain how the first phase is considered the "rescue phase." Explain how the other phases will play out and contribute. Overall, lets all quit blaming and bashing Obama for what he hasn't done and look at some of the amazing things he has done to help people. For example, the stimulus bill that helps people who have lost their jobs to afford COBRA and keep their health insurance. I am one of those people and I am so greatful for this. Or the stimulus that allowed homeowners in foreclosure a second chance at saving their homes. Lets not forget the unemployment extensions that have been granted to tide people over until the economy really starts to repair. I am sure greatful to be an American and I think Obama is doing good and that he will continue to come through.
    Tareyn Tigard, OR

January 27, 2010 at 6:52 am |
  37. GARY

I would hope to hear president Obama say that he will push for the Immigration Reform this year, otherwise I think he will loose the support of millions of Latino Voters. I still have hope that he will do the right thing.

January 27, 2010 at 6:27 am |
  38. Peter M

You asked, on the show, what we wold like to hear from Obama tonite.. As a small business owner who has struggled to keep folks at 40 hours and no layoffs with NO stimulus money, I want to hear:
    – How he is going help small business grow and hire; Can you say tax cut!?
    – How he is going to add jobs – not the usual manipulated figures but real action. Can you say tax cuts?
    – How he is going to reduce government – not through freezed spending but where he will show accountability and cost reduction and slash waste.
    – How he feels about politics as usual as he lied to America about responsibility, no pork, etc...
    – How he feels about his failed policies and how he will correct them
    – How he will recover the wasted trillions from his first year in office and how he will reduce the debt immediately and aggressively so my kids don't get stuck with the bill.

January 27, 2010 at 6:15 am |
  39. Rob T

I'd like to see the president address some states individually. The chain only being as strong as its weakest link, after all. Whether the increased poverty and decreased culture in Michigan (my home state), or the neglect for immigration laws in any number of southern states (seems to just be a matter of convenience for everyone BUT the working class). I suppose what I'm looking for is focus on our union by addressing its Parts, most citizens don't understand how the 'big picture' look affects them in any way but the standard 'trickle-down' viewpoint that's plagued our land of the free for decades.

January 27, 2010 at 6:13 am |