American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 4th, 2010

'Smart bomb' vaccine attacks aggressive brain cancer

(CNN) - For today's AM house call, we're checking up on a woman who, according to statistics, should probably be dead by now.

But doctors say a cancer vaccine they developed is working on her and what seems like a medical miracle could become the norm. Our Dr. Sanjay Gupta has her remarkable story.

Filed under: Health
  1. james

In the majority of cases, florida radiation oncology radiation therapy is given as fractionated treatment, meaning that patients receive a daily dose of radiation five days a week for two to seven weeks, depending on a patient’s individual treatment plan. At each daily treatment, the radiation beam is given from different angles to ensure that the entire tumor receives an optimal radiation dose.

March 23, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  2. syd.

i dont know what planet this new net work is on . but i am a 100% disabled vet . my car was driven about 2,500 miles in 2009. with no points on my lience or wrecks. car ins. went up $120.00 this year . my house taxes went up $200.00 this year. i did not get any cost of living increase as no one did that is disabled. my medicare went up. $13.00 amonth & my deductable when up. $10.00. car taxes whent up $65.00. they say tere is no inflation--i paid - $1.89 for a of brand can of peas. rameys store i have added up the medicals extra taxes i have already had to pay = about $2500.00 this year. ??????????

March 22, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  3. Frances Bodrey

My son was diagnosed with an antiplastic astrocytoma tumor grade 3 on Jan. 9, 2009, he has been on temador and tarceva for a year. also on avastin for about 9 months. would this treatment help. thank you for any information that would help.

March 8, 2010 at 11:59 am |
  4. Kelly Ogilbee

My 36 year old husband was diagnosed with an Anaplastic Astrocytoma Grade 3 in November 2009 and it is inoperative and on his cerabelum...I was JUST at Duke University Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor center Thursday & Friday and wasn't told about this...would it help him?

March 8, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  5. JEANNE BENNETT

my husband was diagnosed with a gbm 4 in 7/06 after surgery he underwent radiation and then two years of temador. when it came back in 7/08 he went through cyber knife treatment and then began
    avastin and recently ironateekan
    (spelling) for 8 treatments. it is now back . will this treatment help

March 5, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  6. Cynthia Kimball

My 35 year old daughter has an astrocytoma grade 2 which has caused grand mal seizures. She was diagnosed in April 2009. She is a singer in Sweden and one of the reasons that her tumor has remained at grade 2, based on research, is that music especially violin (which she also plays) , keeps the tumor from growing. Eventually, these tumors grow and progress to grade 3 and finally 4 which change the status to malignant. Do you believe that this vaccine would be effective with an astrocytoma?

March 5, 2010 at 1:15 am |