American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 22nd, 2010

Debating the pros & cons of health care reform

(CNN) – The health care bill may have passed on Capitol Hill, but we all know that won't stop the debate. So what in the bill is going to work? What won't?

For an analysis of the bill, we were joined on Monday's American Morning by former Senate majority leader for the GOP and surgeon, Dr. Bill Frist; along with the former surgeon general for Presidents Clinton and Bush, Dr. David Satcher.

Filed under: Health • Politics
  1. Joel D'Hue

There has been so much talk about profiteering by health Insurance Companies. I am still waiting to hear a discussion of the Taiwan system and how it would fit into ours. Why Taiwan? Well, Insurance Companies there are not allowed to make a profit on health insurance and yet they all beat a path to everyone's door eager to sign them up for healthcare. It is easy to see why. If you are an Insurance Company with several hundred thousand clients on your books you have a "captive" audience so to speak. You can sell them other insurance policies...auto, home, life, disability etc.. and you don't have to spend large amounts of advertising dollars to get their attention. Why aren't we doing that?

March 30, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  2. Me

I work for a medicaid company and I can tell you that 90% of them should not receive gov't handouts. 10% of them I feel really do need help. We Americans have created a monster... do work, we'll give you welfare. You want a raise? Have another child. You want healthcare? You got it. THESE PEOPLE HAVE BETTER COVERAGE THAN I'LL EVER HAVE!!! I'm the one that WORKS and pays the taxes that gives these lazy people their coverage.

It's just not fair. I'm the responsible one with a job that can afford my lifestyle. I won't have a child until I know I can afford it... but I'm the one that has to cover everyone else?

March 23, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  3. apple

Where were these screaming, demonstrating, suit filers when Bush was spending all the money Clinton left to fight a war that has taken thousands of innocent lives instead of fixing HEALTHCARE for needy, sick and dying Americans??

Bush was a white president and the publicans are a white party.

America is a very strong country. Very good country BUT America is ROTTING AND DESTROYING ITSELF INSIDE OUT because of its double standards and hate for each other!

NOBODY CAN DEFEAT America but Americans and this is what they are doing and the enemies are watching and laughing!

People would be foolish to vote such a hateful Republican party back in

March 23, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  4. Dusty

I am not sure whether I am pleased or terribly discouraged. There is just too much that I still don't know about the Healthcare Reform. Trustworthy answers to simple question just are not there.

Example: I am on Medicare and covered by Tricare for Life. Am I going to be required to buy insurance? It has been stated that Medicare funding is going to be redirected, resulting in doctors not wanting to accept patients. If that is true, will I be able to find a doctor willing to take me on.

I don't know enough about the program to know whether or not I am pleased. Do you?

March 23, 2010 at 9:57 am |
  5. Larry Blank

I have been denied long term care insurance based upon several pre-existing conditions. Does the new law give me a chance of receiving this benifit ? I am 63 years old.

March 23, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  6. Chad

I'm tired of the republican party using the words "the americans are upset about health care reform". Evryone knows that the Republicans are the only ones who hate Obama. We the people voted Obama into office largely due to his stance on health care. So how could americans not want reform? Not one Democrat voted against the bill and one brave republican. I'm an american! How dare you include me in your republican hatred towards Obama.

March 23, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  7. George

Conservatives are absolute hypocrites by ranting against government requiring everyone to have health insurance, while at the same time using government to force everyone to accept their theology prohibiting abortions! And as for the "revolutionary" idea that everyone has a right to good health care, What Would Jesus Say?

March 23, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  8. Leslie

My husband and I are in our 50's, neither of us have a four year degree but have worked hard in our fields and our income has reached about the $250,000 a year level. We have put two sons through state universities without any loans or grants. And I am trying to understand why Americans like ourselves are punished because we work hard and do what Americans are supposed to do. According to this health bill and other government plans, in simple terms, we would pay more than others, I don't know why we are considered wealthy and pay more because we just worked hard.

March 23, 2010 at 8:37 am |
  9. Kris LeVeque

I just don't get it.!!! How many times does the President have to say on national television, that medicare is NOT going to change. What is wrong with trying to get insurance for other people that do not have it, or have it and cannot afford the premiums? Guilliani is on msnbc, saying that the government has taken over the car companies, the banks and now the health care, now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, that it had to be done, to try and save alot of more people losing everything they worked for all their lives. He also had the gull to say, the car companies were saved just because of the unions. Well far be it from me, but unions and non union businesses are middle class americans, and we are becoming extinct. You don't have us, the "BIB WIGS" of this country don't get rich....duhhhhhhh!!!! The Repbulicans are going to complain about anything the President says or does, because that is the only thing they know how to do. They are not for the small people in this country, never have been, never will be, they just worry about lining their own pockets, while the rest of us keep going under.....shame on them!!!!!!!! WE ARE THE PEOPLE, not the dems or the repubs. To understand where I am going with this, I have a neice, that has 3 children, 2 have very serious health issues. One is Autistic, and the youngest has cystic fibrosis. Their medicines alone, eat up everything they have. One medicine for the youngest is $700.00 a month, that is just one medicine. As a family we have pooled together and have helped when we can....Then one day I couldnt take any more, got ahold of somebody under Gov. Crist in Florida.....didn't take them long to get off their butts, and do something. My neice was having alot of trouble with all the crap of beine turned down for help, help that she gets now and again for some of the meds. They took care of the problem, and she hasn't had any trouble since....I couldnt thank Gov. Crist and his office enough. So you see...there are people out there that do need this health care reform.....do any of you people want to tell my great neice, that there is no help for her? That her quality of life is an inconvenience? That she will just have to die earlier than what is expected because we don't want people to have help with health care? If so let me know, I will give you their phone number, and you can do the job.

March 23, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  10. Patti

It is my belief that president Obama is trying to improve conditions for the american people. President Obama worked very diligently over many months trying to get congress to assist him in developing a health care plan. It seems that those most opposed were just sitting ducks over these months. We saw too much of SITTING DUCK during the Busch era. I guess it's much easier to just sit back and negatively judge those who are trying. There are too many americans without health insurance, or inadequate health insurance. One illness could and has wiped people out financially. We need to get this country back on the right track. There is too much greediness and control by the big corporations. We need to have tougher mandates on credit card companies, and make it possible to equally tax all monies. The health care plan may have some areas that don't please everyone – but what bill will please everyone. A family should not have to pay a quarter of their income to be able to have health insurance.

March 23, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  11. Chad

I have always liked the altruistic qualities of the idea behind socialism. The idea is to not neglect the underprivileged. If your hungry, you will be fed. If your sick, you will be treated. Its meant to be an answer to the problem of holding a persons health or livelihood ransom for money.

March 23, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  12. Peggy O'Palick

I feel this warrants more than a mention. As reported in the Journal Inquirer, 3/22/10; Rep. Joe Courtney, Dem/CT. quote, "once and for all, members of Congress will have to get their insurance the same way as the rest of America, through the same purchasing exchange Americans will use when it goes online in 2014. When that starts, congressmen can't get their insurance through the federal employee health plan anymore. It's a powerful statement that this is a mechanism with which elected officials like everyone else will have to be personally involved in making sure it works." I feel this provision keeps a reality check in focus for all in Congress and a needed kinship with their constituents.

March 23, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  13. Karl Harrow

There are so many items in this reform that are bad, it is hard to find a place to start. Here are just a couple quick comments. My father is retired and receives Health Care from his previous employer. FIrst, his medicare suppliment is going to cost him more. Second, his company will most likely stop insuring him because of cost. But, if they do not, he will be taxed on value of the insurance provided. At age 73, this bill will cost him at least $3k per year. Another comment. How can our government tell me that I must buy insurance or I will be fined. And, in the same breath, tell me that "Illegals" will get insurance for free. This country is directly heading for socialism. We are going to hear a big sucking sound as companies run as fast as they can to get out of this country.

March 23, 2010 at 8:07 am |
  14. Geneveive

Thank you to President Obama. I beleive he has moved this country forward to fairness and dignity for all Americans. When the media is focused on the most negative reports of the day. And there are so many media outlets today. It makes it harder to get any new legislation implimented. The president has stood up for the common people and against big business and Insurance companies. I am very proud of my government and I respect my elected officials.
    P.S. I am starting a movement called the 'Coffee Party" We stand for
    kindness, respect and helping each other in need.
    Geneveive

March 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  15. Bill Vardaman

As Elizabeth Cohen spoke of: "if you yearly income is over $88.000, your health cost would likely go up – but in contrast, if you income is less, then your health cost could be less". In this case then. is the $88,000 yearly income the a net income or the Gross?

March 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  16. Jacqueline Metzel

I am so thankful that Congress voted to "represent" the citizens that
    they were elected to represent. Congratulations for voting for our
    nation's health care!

March 22, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  17. jim vicalvi

Sorry, Dr. Satcher, but everyone will NOT be covered immediately. Only children and some senior prescriptions are covered. The rest will come over the next FOUR years. Meanwhile, EVERYONE will be paying more in taxes and increased prices obama lies thru his teeth and any other part of his anatomy that is available at the time. I could care less what color he is. He is going to make jimmy carter look like a genius.

March 22, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  18. nick

i glad to see president obama pushing forward with the heath care bill, which ive learned has been passed, unfortunately my interest is in favor of the american peolpe and feel that this bill is another sure fire way to tank the poor and middle class, heath care is a big business and if your not a player in the field your bound to get the shaft, its not good policy but intersting enough politics, to bad though the people of america dont get to taste that good old american pie, no pun intended.

March 22, 2010 at 11:23 am |