American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 22nd, 2010

Is immigration the next big debate?

(CNN) – While health care undoubtedly stole the show in Washington yesterday, a call for immigration reform drew tens of thousands of demonstrators to the National Mall.

There are an estimated 11-million illegal immigrants in the U.S. The president has promised to make immigration law a priority, but immigration advocates say time's up. They're planning more rallies and a bill is already taking shape in the Senate.

Frank Sharry has been involved in that process. He's the founder of the advocacy group America's Voice and he joined us on Monday's American Morning.

Filed under: Immigration
  1. Dave

some say it will cost too much to find 11 million legals (or even count them). Here is a simple problem solver for the whole situation. If you are an illegal, you are not a citizen. therefore you have no rights in this country, NONE. Allow not 1 freedom or right to the illegals, they will leave on there own. Sick, go home. Don't like how your neighbors, boss, workplace competitor treats you? Go home. The rights of a citizen would super-cede any complaints or requests of an illegal. Sound unfair, go home, sound unjust, go home. Try to utilize any government agency, be sent home. Feeling oppressed, mistreated, go home. Once citizens figure out they can stand up for their rights, without the fear of being attacked by the constitution that is supposed to provide said rights (giving the suggested scenario); there would be no need to find illegals or call upon a government agency. Illegals would go home where, as they should, they would be at least treated fairly. You want dignity, GO HOME! BTW, i am all for legal citizenship, fix that process.

March 25, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  2. Mara

peija, speaking of claims with no facts to back them up...how about the ones you and your kind keep tossing around? You say the forum is piling up with hate for immigration. Well, I haven't seen a single post that has even one harsh word for immigrants personally or immigration in general.

Lots of anger for criminal aliens, but nothing but welcome for actual immigrants. It's people like you who insist that border jumpers, identity theives, forgers, serial fraudsters, smugglers, human traffikers, liars and cheats are no different from decent, law-abiding, respectable immigrants.

We *like* immigrants but have nothing but contempt for illegal aliens.

March 25, 2010 at 6:56 am |
  3. Mara

Mia, so your friends were denied a visa. We said "no", which is our right as a sovereign people. Evidently you and your ilk don't agree with that. You think that you have some kind of human right to move here whether we want you or not. No wonder everybody wants to leave, what with the lack of respect for other people's property and personal rights. (Which is exactly the reason we don't want the *here*)

and yes...it DOES cost a lot of money to come here. So what? What are a few paltry dollars compared to the investment that my grandparents, great-grandparents, and other forebears paid for in BLOOD and SWEAT? It was their sacrifices that made this society successful, that bought the freedoms and protections that you and yours are trying to steal. You seem to have this idea that visa's are bought and sold like some commodity. Well, guess what? The fees are for processing the paper work and nothing more. My birthright is NOT a commodity. It is not for *sale*.

If illegals want to raise their families in peace, in security, and within a community that accepts them...they need to either stay home and fix their own d*mn countries or get a visa. And if we don't want 'em...tough luck.

March 25, 2010 at 6:44 am |
  4. peija

All of your claims with no facts to back them up are are piling up, and just blurt our personal hate towards immigration...if only you were a part of the intelligent society and had some problem solving skills, then you would be useful to society.

March 24, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  5. Mary Ann

Hey Texaslady2.....Totally agree with you...that's why I didn't care for McCain. He was working on Amnesty legislation with Ted Kennedy. I hate to say this, but I don't think any politician Rep or Dem will actually enforce our sovereignty laws. Really irritates me when I see them demonstrating. Any sympathy I have for them vanishes.

March 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  6. Youngster

Another point is, perhaps granting of citizenship should be conditional... such as being able to pass simple reading/speaking test, etc.
    Let me tell you about my dad. He was 42 when he came over to states and he is now 63. When he came over, his english was... not very good... let's just leave it at that. Through the years, one thing was consistent, he always had english dictionary with him, and if he did not understand a word, he would ask for spelling of the word and would look it up. 20 years later, he still speaks with accent, but can hold his own. If he can do it, why can't all these illegals? Instead, forcing us to learn Spanish?

March 24, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  7. Youngster

Before we could immigrate to US, we had to go through 3 interviews, had to take english classes, and pay substantial amount of fees, not to mention having to wait about 8 years before we were granted visa and green card. Needless to say, I am disappointed that people are ignoring those who play by the rules. If there is no consequence for breaking the laws, why should people like me continue to wait 8-10 years, spend thousands of dollars, and take English lessons?

America is a great country and land of opportunity, but people need to obey the laws. Perhaps immigration laws can be relaxed, so that people could come in legally. After all, if you bother to check the demographic trend, birth rate in US is barely keeping up with death rate. We want to avoid negative birth rate situation that is starting hit countries like Japan and Germany. Negative birth rate is likely to cripple future economy as people are living longer, which means fewer workers will have to support more retired people.
    For this reason, we do need large number of immigrants. Without immigration, I suspect that we will encounter negative birth problem that has started to hit countries in Europe and Asia.

March 24, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  8. Mary Ann

Let's see, break sovereignty laws – receive free health care, education, child support (burdens all legal working taxpayers)
    Buy a home you can't afford – govt orders banks to pick up the tab for loan payments (burdens all legal working taxpayers)
    Don't pay taxes? Get job as Secretary of Treasury (Geithner) Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee (Rangle) Responsibility, write tax laws for all Americans, but refuses to abide by his own laws, finally forced to step down, but will keep his sizable pension and benefits. (another burden on legal working taxpayers)
    Passes sweeping health care and student loan bill using a method that was not intended for a matter of this magnitude, Senator Byrd, the creator of reconciliation even admitted (another taxpayer burden)
    When is this going to stop? If it weren't for responsible hard-working people, none of this spending would happen.

March 24, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  9. ChrisSeattle

Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind granting amnesty to illegal (yes they broke the law to come here) let’s say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I
    leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors. I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your
    house). According to the protesters: You are Required to let me stay in your house, You are Required to add me to your family's insurance plan, You are Required to Educate my kids, You are Required to Provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do all of your yard work because he is also hard- working and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my RIGHT to be there. It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. I'm a hard-working and honest, person, except for well, you know, I did break into your house. And what a deal it is for me!!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of cold, uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and bigoted behavior. Oh yeah, I DEMAND that you to learn MY LANGUAGE!!! So you can communicate with me. Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?! Only in America

March 24, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  10. Mia

Most of you have no idea what it means to be illegal in this country. Immigrants come here in search of freedom and a better way of living. My father came here illegal 32 years ago, so my brothers and I could have a better life. He worked hard and studied English and Spanish in order to get a decent job. He spent most of his earnings paying lawyer fees and nothing happened. It took him 10 years to become legal. I guess what I am trying to say is everyone deserves a second chance and these people have been here for years working paying taxes even though they cannot filed taxes like most American people do. All they want is to be able to live a normal life, work, go to school, and be accepted in the society where they have raised children and grandchildren. You people should be ashamed of some of the comments that you have made. It cost a lot of money to come here legally. I know people who sold everything they had in their home country to buy a visa to come here The LEGAL WAY, but the go to get their visa they were told by the embassy that their visa was DENIED. What would you do if you were in their situation? Wouldn’t you find a way to come to the U.S. anyway? Life is about survival…

People please educate yourself before commenting on certain issues; because you will never know how it feels to be an immigrant unless you have worked in their shoes. No one wants to be called a criminal for no reason.

So please have heart. Think about your ancestors who came here and made a way for you and your family. Regardless of whom you are today. Someone came from somewhere and made a way for you. Don't you ever forget that. God bless!

March 24, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  11. Delta

This should be easy, If you are here ILLEGALLY then you must go. If you are a CITIZEN then you stay. End of Discussion! No gray area. Sorry this make make it hard on some people, but its called LIFE.

March 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  12. Ell

For all of who suggest that 11,000,000 people plus be sent back now how many of you have worked out the economics on that? First you have to spend the time and money to even locate all 11,000,000, then they have to go to court (this country's laws say anyone who broke the law has a right to be heard in a court of law) then if they are found guilty, they have to be flown home? Any ideas on just how much that would cost? Where is that money going to come from considering the country is officially broke? Or you can secure the border once and for all (including the one up north...what...you assume all illegals are Mexican..afraid not!!)

Or

you can take 11,000,000 people who are living here anyway, make them pay a fine and back taxes and the cost of processing their residency, they could then contribute to social security, health-care etc etc.. (if you actually read the proposed outline, you would see that it does not necessarily even grant permanent residence status, let alone citizenship. Ergo, these people would have no voting rights as only CITIZENS can vote (not even legal permanent resident can vote under law)

a $500 fine (i'm sure most would be willing to pay more) alone would generate 5.5 BILLION dollars, let alone if the fine were higher, let alone the back taxes and they pay all administration costs..

Just think about it...sensibily

March 24, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  13. buckwheat

We also know that we are suppose to have only one Social Security number. Americans are limited to one and I paid for over 50 years into the system and it stayed the same.I resent the fact that any money is paid out to illegal immigrants of any kind. We have, what was a free country and now we have a mess running around holding signs looking for another handout. I got news for you it is crowded out there with people wanting to take. I have got to give credit to the illegals.They do want to work.We have a system now that is complete.It is possible now to live a full life here and not ever be off the public dole. Awaiting moderation

March 24, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  14. buckwheat

There will not be any debates.It is a sure thing.It will create plenty of voters for the party of yes.Awating moderation

March 24, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  15. achit

USCIS is not able to process current demand and wastes almost 50% visa numbers every year. For people from India and China...it is wait for many years. Took me 6 years to get my Legal Permanent Residency (LPR-green card), another 5 years before I can evan apply for citizenship. My wife is still waiting for her green card.

First fix the system. No reforms for illegals before there are reforms for legals.

March 24, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  16. dave

I am what you would call a ditch digger. My trade is one that the general consensus thinks Americans won't do. So, people seem to think that its o.k. if illegal immigrants do this dirty work. People have no consideration for the wages paid, it is beneath you. MARCUS, its my job they are taking, its my wage they are driving down. I am a legal citizen born in Puerto Rico, I am white, my family fought for the rights of this country's citizens. IF YOU THINK ILLEGALS ONLY DO JOBS YOU WON'T, JUST WAIT. YOUR JOB MAY BE NEXT. I worked my ass of in my trade, the influx of illegals have ruined my job market. They used to pick fruit, now they do construction. I guess its not a problem, just a topic, for those whom aren't directly affected by it. While you debate and bicker, myself as are millions of of other AMERICANS are unemployed. Ponder this, get rid of 11 million illegals, & watch Americans happily go back to work that you think only illegals will do. Shame on those who belittle and devalue the average blue collar American. Go ahead, hire an illegal, buy foreign products, share all of our freedoms. Myself, i am out of things to share, maybe when plate is empty MARCUS & your pride tarnished, you will get of your intellectual high horse and pick up a shovel.

March 24, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  17. Yogi

I don't understand the logic of the people who favor letting the illegal immigrants stay on. Or of whose who just keep harping that this is a country of immigrants so we should be more sympathetic. Everyone is for sympathy but there is a difference between illegal immigrants and legal immigrants. The former have broken the law of this land. If that is pardonable then what is wrong in breaking other laws? Let's all drive as we feel like and so long as we don't hit anyone, it should be fine, isn't it? Let's all start walking naked on the streets and so long as one doesn't perform any indecent act, it should be OK, isn't it? Where is the defense against illegal immigration – is breaking law even defensible?

March 24, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  18. Keith Long

With 15 million legal Americans out of work, we cannot afford to continue to have the flood of illegal aliens. Our immigration laws should be enforced to the letter. Employers who continue to hire illegal aliens should face stiff penalties, not a token fine but real jail time. I assure you, if they were faced with imprisonment their hiring practices would change in a hurry.

March 24, 2010 at 11:09 am |
  19. texaslady2

IMO, we should stop calling these unwanted people "illegal or undocumented immigrants" and call them exactly what they are: illegal aliens. They are NOT immigrants. They don't want to be "good Americans": they just want to soak up all the resources of this country for themselves and their families. If they really wanted to be Americans, they would come legally, so they could qualify for citizenship. They have no respect for our country or its laws. They have little desire to learn English or to adapt to our society, and they break our laws every day by using fake or stolen ID.

We need to eliminate the ridiculous "anchor baby" loophole that allows these thieves to steal US citizenship for their kids and eventually for themselves. Once a baby is born a de facto US citizen, it is eligible for Medicaid, WIC, food stamps, rent assistance, free education, free meals at school, and a host of other welfare programs that are intended for Americans. There is no reason that these kids should become US citizens just because their illegal alien parents chose to break our laws. We need legislation to eliminate this anchor baby loophole.

Also, it is time to reassess our legal immigration levels. Do we really need to have over 2 MILLION immigrants a year? Could we maybe get along somehow with say, half of that? And couldn't we restructure the "point" system so that people get admitted based on qualifications instead of kinship to someone already here? Don't we have enough poorly educated and unskilled labor already? How about bringing in nurses, scientists, doctors, and other skilled workers and professionals instead of tomato pickers and mop swingers?

March 24, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  20. Mara

so basically the (non)apologists like Mary and Summer are saying that the poor little illegal isn't *responsible* for their own actions.

I guess to people like Mary, Summer and the rest, if you don't lock your doors and windows...it's your own fault if you get robbed.

If your skirt is too short or your blouse is cut too low...it's your own fault if you get raped.

If you happen to find yourself in the wrong part of town...it's your own fault if you get carjacked.

Yeah...criminals never choose to break the law...it's ALWAYS the fault of the one being robbed or abused. It's become OUR fault the illegals won't fix their own countries. It's OUR fault that they'd rather take the easy, cheaters route than the hard slog of an honest immigrant. It's OUR fault that we're being robbed. It's become OUR fault that illegals spit on the law.

It's all our fault because our forebears had the gall to build a successful society, we're richer than our southern neighbors, and we didn't immediately appreciate the towering contempt they have for fairness, decency and the rights of others.

March 24, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  21. johne

Those who complain about illegal immigrants should also be prepared to offer a solution to the problem, otherwise they are nothing more than whining gripers and have no right to complain. Immigration reform is long overdue and maybe too late already. All lawbreakers are criminals. Our prisons are full of them. If the US grants amnesty to illegals, it will be the same as pardoning our entire prison population and setting them free. Illegal immigrants have broken our laws and are criminals also, even though their American-born children are not. Illegals should be treated as criminals and punished as criminals by deporting them – and their children – back to wherever they came from. Our law enforcers should not let sentiment cloud their judgement. We are the greatest nation in the world because we are a nation of laws. In addition, our laws require the respect and obedience of everyone without exception. No double standard!

March 24, 2010 at 9:23 am |
  22. Paul

I hate to say it, but we need to stop all immigration from Mexico now, or we are going to end up like them and gangs are going to be out of control

March 24, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  23. Mary

It makes me sick to hear so many comments of so many people who do not have a clue about what is going on in this country. First, you need to be informed before you can blame only the immigrants for what is happening in this country. Second, if you are a US American you are the one voting for your senators, congressman, and all the politicians we have at this moment making choices on our behalf. Third, I know so many Americans who do not pay taxes because they work under the table, others prefer to be at home living on the system because all they did in their lives is finish HS, so how do you want to get a good job when you do not have the skills to survive in this society. Most of our young people do not put education as a priority and then you blame other for that.
    Also, for some of you that do not know, the IRS provide an Identification Number to illegal immigrants so when they work they can use that number to pay taxes, so why some of you believe they are not comtributin to our country, do you also know they pay taxes when they use any kind of services just like us such supermarket, store, enterntaiment, and so on. Do you know they can not use our system because they do not qualify for, so why are so angry with them, is our own people who is so lasy to do what is wright for them. This is land of opportunity, and if you want to be educated all you need to do is continue your higher education no matter what, but for some of you is easier to blame others for your lasiness and your lack of information. Do you know the only reason so many people are out of job is not because of the immigrants as some of you mentioned earlier is because wealthy people prefer to takes their companies to countries in Europe, Asian or Latin American, do you know why, because of the cheap labor, so the ones you have to blame is not the immigrants that are here, is our own people, of course the ones who have the $$$.
    Finally, next time you make a comment, please please use your brain not only your fingers to write the first thing that come to your mind.

March 24, 2010 at 9:12 am |
  24. El Kababa

We are a nation of immigrants that is now full. There are too many people for our resources and infrastructure to support. We are having a hard time educating all our kids and providing them with decent jobs.

I think all immigration, legal and illegal, should be ended. Look at the crowded nations of India and China. That is where we are headed.

This should be combined with a population control program. We need to convince parents to limit their family size to two children. We need better birth control and easy access to legal, safe abortions.

We must choose between living in a crappy country with 600 million people or a nice one with, say, 200 million people. We need to stop breeding like ferrets.

March 24, 2010 at 8:09 am |
  25. Concerned Citizen

All of you democratic sheep, soon to be with no wool, should have
    barcodes tatooed on your foreheads. Tatooed barcode = government drone ........... no tatoo your illegal .......... simple.

March 24, 2010 at 8:03 am |
  26. Peter

Many of the posters are missing the key word here and that is : "ILLEGAL" Illegal immmigrants are entitled to (get ) free health care in this country, but American citizens who can not afford health care must go bankrupt if they get sick in America. 12 million Illegal immigrants are why unskilled American's can not earn a living wage. Illegal immigrants are breaking the law and should be deported NOT rewarded. Many Illegal immigrants do not speak any English and bred like rabbits so their children born will be as US citizens – this law should be changed too because it encourages illegal immigration. Last why must I listen to telephone recordings in Spanish before I hear English ??? It's America Home Depot, Wal-Mart and Best Buy should speak English !!! Some of us are not anti-immigration, we only want "legal immigrants" and our laws enforced. Why should taxpayers pay to educate illegal immigrants children ? They should not. This system is broken and failure to enforce the laws will only encourage similiar behavior in the future.

March 23, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  27. summer

We need immigration reform. It is pathetic that people who have lived here 12 years and have a U.S. born citizen are being deported. Where is the compassion and love? Is this fair to a 10 year old boy to leave him alone and defenseless.? Most of all where is the integrity of the immigration judges left in charge of the courts to inform these people of their rights especially in the Arizona County's? We need immigration reform now. This was suppose to be about closed borders for those wheeling and dealing in drugs not about affecting family unity, labor and the economy. Think about it people it doesn't take someone too smart to know about the law of supply and demand. No wonder their are no jobs, therefore no supply because their is no demand for housing, food, clothing etc. etc. Everyone is being sent back to their home countries like hot cakes and being housed in immigration holding tanks. I visit musuems and it reminds me of the Holocaust with the exception that they aren't being gased or killed. This is how the 13 colonies began with people leaving their countries for freedom. History repeats Itself.

March 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Fedup WithIllegals

Hmmm... let's see... Guests are INVITED, or at least come in the front door. CRIMINALS (i.e. illegal immigrants) are uninvited, and sneak in any way they can, masquerade as actual citizens, stealing identities and Social Security numbers of REAL people (i.e. the kind that ACTUALLY belong here, AND pay taxes, etc). It's about time this country realizes that illegal immigrants are CRIMINALS (i.e. the 'illegal' part), poor or not. REAL American citizens are sick of idiot punks like you acting like we are racists, etc. because we demand that the laws of this country are ENFORCED. The United States is OUR home FIRST. According to some short-sighted dimwits, if 'Pablo' breaks into my family's home through a window in the middle of the night, he should be treated as a 'guest' instead of an intruder, and should be given all the same treatment as someone that I invited, who walked in the front door like any other guest. And, according to you, if I decide that I don't want 'Pablo' in my house because HE BROKE IN (hmmm... just like a criminal), well then, I MUST be a racist that just wants to be 'mean' to poor people. People that think like you should be shoveled back over the border with them... I accept and welcome immigrants who walk in the front door of this country – those that hide and sneak in should be treated as what they are... CRIMINALS, just by standing on U.S. soil. Poor or not, they are NOT the victims – REAL Americans are.

March 23, 2010 at 8:42 pm |
  29. Shevelsheshe

When Americans' beloved NFL football games are all replaced with soccer games on TV, then it will be too late. On cable, there are sooo many soccer games – way more than basketball or football games anymore. A sign of things to come. One day you will have to look long and hard to find a football or basketball game televised!

March 23, 2010 at 7:54 pm |
  30. Shevelsheshe

Lisa L., how can you say that Hispanics are GOOD Christians when they are breaking the law everyday? The Bible says to obey the law of the land. Even God recognizes this.People who break the laws are not good Christians and will not become good citizens.

March 23, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  31. Paul

In many history books mentioned that European settler in early 17th century came to north america and took native american land. Legal or illegal?

March 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm |
  32. Victor

It so upsetting to hear the ignorance voice from the right. They insist on arguing the negative effect of immigrants inthe economy, but they all fail to get the facts from the people who know most abou this issue–economists. For years most prominent economists–such as Greenspan–have made it very clear that immigrants contribute positively to economy. Their general consumption, as well as local and federal taxes paid contribute to job creation. Another importan fact commonly ignored is that many industries could not exist or survive without immigrants. Additionally, with the retirement of baby boomers (the greatest generational population boom), immigrants are needed to fill the gap and provide al these millions of retirees, who by the way are expected to live for many more years, with the goods and services they need. As an experiment, I would love to have all illegal immigrants removed from the country at once and see the ignorant bigots on the right scratching their heads as the numbers in Wall Street crumble. The inevitable truth is that in less than 100 years whites will be a minority in this country and Hispanics a majority. It is simply inevitable. Hispanics like myself, my wife, my siblings and most of my friends are becoming capable professionals who contribute a great deal to our nation's economy. We love our country more than many on the ignorant right are willing to admit. However, most of us are not willing to let the ignorant right to define America.

March 23, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  33. gmj

The drive to grant citizenship is ludicrous. These workers could come out of the shadows if they had a temporary worker permit. This would also eliminate the need for dangerous desert crossings on foot with "coyotes".

There is another issue. When an illegal worker is granted citizenship, does he/she continue doing that hard manual labor? Or move downtown? Someone must have the data on this. It may be that citizenship puts an end to doing the work "that Americans don't want to do". Also, businesses like illegals because they work for nothing and have no rights or protections. Will they like them as much when citizenship is granted?

The mantra about "work that Americans don't want to do" seems to come only from business owners. We have seen repeatedly over the last several years that Americans jump at the chance to take these jobs when illegals are arrested. Many of the jobs in construction were held by Americans before they were displaced by illegals. This has a ripple effect. As soon as illegals enter a certain trade, the contractors who don't hire illegals are forced out, because they can't compete on price. It is the same as outsourcing, except that you outsource "in place".

Remember that the 11 million is just the tip of the iceberg. As soon as citizenship is granted, the relatives get an invite. Remember that the Hispanic birth rate is much higher than Americans are accustomed to. Remember that northern Mexico is in a state of criminal anarchy, which is now spreading into Arizona, and that Mexican drugs are pouring into the US, and that illegals are disproportionately represented in our courts, prisons, and emergency wards. What is the TRUE COST of this "cheap" labor?

The census bureau says that the US population will increase by 130 million in the next 50 years. That is equivalent to 37 more cities with the population of the present Los Angeles. I wonder where we are going to get the energy, water, land, and other resources to keep growing our population like a third world country. I wonder what the US quality of life will be with a half billion people. Think, people, think. We can't help everyone who needs help. Our resources are finite. Mexico needs to learn how to care for its people.

March 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  34. Mays

We are all no doubt descendants of immigrants. Why not just open the flood gates and let every one come in? Let's just say that everyone and anyone in this world who can come to the US should be allowed to do so and also be allowed to vote. US is after all a land of immigrants.

March 23, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  35. figi

This is so simple. Repeat after me:

ARREST
    JAIL
    DEPORT
    ILLEGALS

DEPORTATION EQUALS JOB CREATION

Now repeat the above ten times, and then you'll get it. Thank you.

March 23, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  36. Gugun

I am legal immigrant in USA and wait for sooooo long to get Green Card. No wonder too many ILLEGAL Immigrants come to USA.

March 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  37. Harman

You know what stinks the most, the government is worried about 11 million illegals, what about the people who followed the law to come here. I have spent thousands and thousands of my hard earned money on paper work for the past 13 years, been paying taxes and social security and every other tax there is. Yet there is no "path to citizenship" for people like me. Clearly its better to break the law here then to follow it.

March 23, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
  38. Rod

Can we as a nation start thinking about the real American people that have made huge contributions and major investments in this country for many years..... and just hire a force of deputy border guards to round up all illegal immigrants and pack them back to wherever they came from. This simple act will employee legal Americans during this economic turndown. If these illegal immigrants have children that happened to be in this country at the same time...pack them out with their parents.

March 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
  39. Bill

No, Marcus, the theory posed in your last paragraph is not logical. Though legalized immigrants might demand higher pay, we can expect a continuing flood of more illegals to keep wages for certain types of work low. They will keep coming as long as jobs are available to them and terrible conditions persist in their own country.

March 23, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  40. ligaya

The third reason is if these undocumented immigrants will be legalized and naturalized then there will be no mor e people who will drive the labor cost down.

March 23, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  41. ligaya

Path to legalization and naturalization should the correct course of action for all millions living here undocumented. Its impractical for a massive deportation. We dont have the resources. Second these undocumented immigrants are sending billions of dollars from USA to their country of origin thus depleting the local economy of much needed revenues. If they will be part of the system legally and have their families reunited here in the US of A then they dont have to bring the $ out of our country but instead spent it here and help the economy. That's the practical and humane thing to do.

March 23, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  42. Patrician

I am a LEGAL IMMIGRANT, I paid taxes, followed the law, lawyer fees, uscis fee. I am waiting since 5 years to get GC and still have to wait another 25 years.

First LEGAL IMMIGRATION SHOULD BE FIXED then only they should talk about amnesty for illegal immigration.

March 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  43. Mara

"Immigration Reform" is just code talk for 'amnesty for foreignborn identity thieves, serial fraudsters, and tax cheats'.

Nobody denies that our immigration system could use some updating and streamlining...but that's not what the ethno-centric special interests mean when they say 'reform'. That's not what the MSM means when they talk about 'immigration reform".

They DON'T mean "reform the system by funding greater enforcement efforts. That would be expedited hearings, fewer appeals, and faster deportation. Reform it by requiring mandatory prison time for managers who hire illegals. Add punitive fines for the owners, plus further investigation looking at employment and tax fraud. Mandatory e-verify for all hires (retroactive). Revise the 14th amendment to state that citizenship is granted only when the child has at least one parent who is an American citizen. "

"Then we should streamline the application process, grant fewer family reunification visa's and more for students and educated professionals. Faster processing time. Add more on-line information and applications. Digitize the paperwork so that fewer files are lost or misplaced. More funding for background investigations and application aid for the less educated, refugee’s, asylum seekers, and those who’ve been trafficked."

They don't say that because that isn't what they want. Their *demand* is for us to have one law for illegal aliens, one for prospective immigrants, and another for American citizens.

They want us to forget that the foundation of this country is the rule of law and the idea that all people are equally sibject to that law.

March 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
  44. SJacob

Stop Illegal Immigration and send illegals back.
    For those who ask opponents of amnesty to try living the tough life in their home country, if every third world country in the world said that and used it as an excuse to come in here illegally and demand rights...that would not be good for the US now..would it?
    Illegals will find a thousand excuses and explanations to demand rights...but the fact is they need to be sent back. That is the only way and the best way of immigration law being enforced.
    I will fight tooth and nail to stop amnesty....

March 23, 2010 at 12:24 pm |
  45. Richard L.

11 million ILLEGAL immigrants, ha. what a farce, i'm from california and there are that many here alone. They don;t just do the jobs no one else wants either. they take construction jobs and put americans out of work and drive the wages down. high school kids can't get part time work because they take those jobs too. they crowd emergency rooms getting free health care because they can't be turned away and never pay the bills. All you people saying they don't bring down our quality of life must not live near any of them.

March 23, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  46. Steve Courton

Tried of the argument "We all were immigrants" to justify opening the border. Sure if you go back far enough we all had ancestors who came over here. However back then the country was largely depopulated and we needed more people to settle the vast land. This is not true today especially since immigrants now go to the population centers. Also back then the government didn't provide services like schools, food stamps, and health care in emergency rooms, you either took care of yourself or died.

We already allow 1 million per year in legally. We need to create nearly 700,000 jobs a year just for the legal immigrants. The US has instead lost jobs for two straight years. Don't say americans won't do the work. We did it before the mass immigrant wave. Americans do the work where there are few immigrants. There is and never has been a part of the country where they can't find workers for fast food, janitors, and hotels. But employers had to pay and treat their workers better to get them before the mass immigrant flood.

And I'm a democrat. I work low end jobs. I've seen in Dallas how immigrants have driven down pay and how employers treat workers more like dirt and say "I can fire you and hire a mexican to do your job". More immigration just keeps the poor down to serve their wealthy masters, if thats the america you want then support immigration reform. Want to help the poor – then resrict immigration and deport the illegals or make it very difficult to hire them so they go home.

March 23, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  47. Leo

more over, who in this forum will wait patiently in bumper to bumper 2 hour traffic with a pregnant wife in labor in the passenger seat, or a very sick child in the back, or if you're late for a career changing interview or meeting? How many would break the law and take the shoulder or a red light? How many have already? Waiting in line is not always the right option.

March 23, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  48. Frank

It started in 1986 when President Reagan granted amnesty to 4 million illegal immigrants. Now in 2010 we are looking at amnesty for 12 million illegal immigrants. What is is going to be in 2030? If we don't reclaim out country, we'll be changing our colors from red, white, and blue to red, white , and green. We are already losing our language. What next?

March 23, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  49. Dennis

Actually the number is more like 20 million now and will swell to 25-30 million if illegal entrants to this country are given the rights of American citizens. Perfect timing for this fight as the health care bill will add another 30 million people that American taxpayers will have to give free health care to. Democrats want to legalize the illegals in order to get more ignorant and government dependent voters (Democrats). What ever happened to what's best for America? Do the Democrats have no shame???

March 23, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  50. Leo

Try walking in the shoes of the immigrants that had to enter this country through alternative means. When your home country is in shambles, when jobs are scarce, when doors are shut in your face at every opportunity, when a college degree is better served as toilet paper, when your life is miserable and you look to the USA as the solution, like so many generations of immigrants have in the past, you will scrap and claw to find a way in. Sometimes you can't wait 5 to 10 years to get back on track. Sometimes the situations are so dire that you don't want to sacrifice any more time. Have you ever walked in these shoes? If so, have more compassion for the undocumented.

March 23, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  51. duvallone

This has been on Obama's agenda all along. First get this healthcare disaster passed, and then, quick as a bunny, legalize all the illegals so they can vote Democrat in the next election. Why do you think he was rushing so hard?? This will be a third world nation shortly due to the bleeding hearts and idiots who apparently have no idea what a balance sheet looks like.

March 23, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  52. DbleDEE

please post the content I submitted last night. it is critical to the discussion.

March 23, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  53. TD

This is a country formed for the people, by the people. The law is the law. Illegal means just that. If you truely wish to be an American, you will obey the laws of the land, and respect the legal immigrants who formed this country. Americans like myself are getting fed-up with "trying to take care of these people and we need to help those poor people". WE NEED TO HELP OURSELVES FIRST! What is so hard with obeying the law? Oh, it will take months and years perhaps, and I'll have to learn English and pass a test of basic American history. What a hardship to endure. Sorry if I come across hard, but sometimes the harsh words stick out more than the soft-spoken ones.

March 23, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  54. randy ray haugen

i always hear republicans saying america does not want this health care reform. i never believed that. now, i find they were right, americans don't want this reform, they want more. they want the public option, they want single payer, they want universal health care.
    they don't want the insurance industry controlling their doctors treatment and demanding procedures not in the patients best interests. they don't want to be denied coverage right when they need it the most. they don't want to pay higher premiums because of their gender. they don't want to be dropped after the cost of care goes over an arbitrary dollar amount.
    what i want is for the media(CNN in particular) to relay what the people want in no uncertain terms and i want them to quite paying lip service to those who would deny patients the protection from insurers that this reform has outlined. just because a couple hundred protesters gather in a mall doesn't mean the entire nation is against health care reform.

March 23, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  55. April

First, let's recognize two phrases: Illegal Alien and Immigrant.

Most Americans are not against legal immigration. I work with some great folks who spent the time and money and did the background checks to come here legally and they are frustrated and disgusted with our current stance on illegal immigrants.

Personally, I was in the reform camp – being here illegally seemed like such a small crime. Then came the day illegal aliens staged a 'stay at home' protest.

The news reported that classrooms were 70% empty.
    My commute was 20 minutes instead of an hour.

I started paying attention. Then I started to get angry.

March 23, 2010 at 7:09 am |
  56. April

I raised two kids as a single parent. According to our government I made too much money as a waitress to get help with medical care for my kids.

There was a waiting list of 2 years to get help with housing because subsidized housing was full.

No one can argue that illegal immigrants are using these services – our own president has a relative using both of these aides, paid for out of US taxes, even AFTER she was told to leave by a US court.

When an illegal alien can get services and a US citizen cannot, it puts the citizen in a second class status, under the illegal, in their own country.

March 23, 2010 at 7:03 am |
  57. Alex in Gig Harbor

My German grandparents came to this country through the front door and
    jumped through all of the hoops on Ellis Island. Those who came here illegally should not expect amnesty for their criminal behavior.

March 23, 2010 at 1:04 am |
  58. Denise A.

Are we talking legal immigrants or illegal immigrants? There is a difference.

March 23, 2010 at 12:57 am |
  59. Aman

Its funny how common it is to read "my family followed the rules decades ago and immigrated here"

Whose rules may I ask !? Native indians ?! or the very same people who opressed the people and established themselves on this land ?

March 23, 2010 at 12:22 am |
  60. DbleDee

oK people that is enough.

now when i say the phrase

""'ENFORCE THE CURRENT LAW"""""

you won't think that i am just whittleing dixie.

I am serious about this, informed about this and is based in fact and law.

good night America, Love ya!!!

my personal quote:

March 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  61. Marc

With us being invaded by Mexico and these illegals having most the babies, it is obvious that this country will eventually be a provence of Mexico ( later in this century). I'm so thankful that I got to live my life here in the past decades when there was still a USA.

March 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  62. beholder

The zero-sum jobs argument (1 for 1) is bunk, nothing but bunk, bunk, bunk! Businesses will shut down, GDP will drop, and tax revenues will fall if we deport 11 million consumers and producers. American people would fill some of those jobs, but many more would simply be destroyed.

March 22, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  63. Mark L.

Get rid of 11 million people in this country working illegally, and you will put 11 million legal citizens back to work.

March 22, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  64. Jason Feldman

I believe that ironically enough, the badly needed Immigration reform is actually tied into the passage of a health care bill. A central issue of the health care and immigration bill is where do illegal immigrants fit in? People here illegally will continue to work regardless. It just makes sense for them to obtain some sort of status and pay taxes, social security, medicaid, etc. Moreover, our economy needs both educated and uneducated foreign workers to survive. Both contribute to the economy. The educated workers fill gaps in the sectors where we have dramatic shortages of qualified workers like the IT and health care field. Hard working uneducated workers still promote the economy as their taxes and earnings (even if some gets sent home) ultimately is reinvested in the U.S economy. Any economist will tell you the free flow of labor is essential to maximize production and output. And after all we are all immigrants at one time or another.

-Jason Feldman, Attorney at Law

March 22, 2010 at 7:59 pm |
  65. Karen M

It is incredibily ironic that people like Ramon RIOS are greedy enough and ignorant to blame mexican immigrants for an increase in crime when everyone in the United States contributes to crime, blacks, whites, asian, hispanics, etc dont stress crime on a particular race because that's racist, that's a shame. Also, the reason why people in the past who came more than 25 years ago had this immigration more lenient since it wasnt very difficult and easy to acquire, it is actually literally impossible for millions of immigrants in this nation to become legal. It is an injustice that human beings, people with souls willing to work their hard out for the sanctity and goodwill of their loved ones and benefiting the nation so people especially those who come from immigrant backgrounds who have had the luck to be legalized shouldnt even DARE to tell immgrants to go back to their countries. Everyone in this nation is an immigrant even those whose descendants came in the 1600's in my opinion and this is true, the TRUE AMERICANS are the NATIVE AMERICANS okay not the many caucasian and legalized individuals who claim to have the right to tell other immigrants to return their nation. Immigrants is probably one of the best things that has happened to this nation, throughout history they have helped this nation prosper into what it is now, you NEED immigrants without them the nation's foundations will begin to deteriorate. Even in these economic circumstances there are several legal inidividuals who wouldnt dare to the kind of jobs immigrants do to at least bring some food to the table. Immigrants are human beings aiding this nation who shouldnt be treated as ghosts and have the right of every American citizen. IMMIGRATION AMNESTY IS NEEDED NOW! (seriously imagine an America without immigrants, it will definitely be a ghost town and Europe will surpass the United States even MORE with their hard working ethics and money)

March 22, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  66. jjheinis

Simplify American Immigration Law to three classes of Visas: A) Immigrant b) Nonimmigrant. Nonimmigrant. To change between these two classes, requires a stay outside the United States and application for same. To get Green Card, must apply outside the country. To naturalize, immigrate legally, meet all requirements, apply and accepted. Visa overstays deportation. Legalization of illegal status requires return to home country and reapplication. Criminal status; Immediate Deportation upon conviction. Citizenship by birth and by legal status of parents. My parents were immigrants from Europe and they followed all the rules and were naturalized. Illegal immigration must lead to deportation. You enter legally or not at all. Simplify immigration to ensure that those who are legally in the US can work and do NOT displace legal American Citizens or those with Green Cards. That is it.

March 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  67. DbleDEE

Another question:

How can you have Senators, and Congressmen, who have been in office as far back as 1986, or even as far back as 1996, or even as recent as 2006, and not have enforce the law of immigration?????
    WhY????

Because they ( all Politicians) failed to do their duty: They are grossly negligent in failing to carry out the prople's business. Period.

so if you want to blame someone for the illegal problems, then look at who have been in political office for over a decade or so; they are the ones who let this happen.......

March 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
  68. DbleDEE

So as not to get it twisted, I need to ask a question:

Why is it, that regardless of administration in or administration out, president in and president out, regardless of democrat or republican, that Congress and all presidents, failed to enforce the LAW??? Why???

Because they didn't and don't, want to. Period.

March 22, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  69. DbleDEE

This can be accomplished in just under 3 years:
    One year to train the officers, and two years to address the problem.
    This can be done within President Obama's years as a 1st year president.

The reality is, that they, ( all politicians) don't want to enforce the law. They just want to change it.

March 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  70. DbleDEE

Here is formula to addess the illegal immigration problem:

there are 1250 Police Academies in the US:
    they have 2 training classes each year
    Each class is about 30 Cadets

Each graduate completes along with the other training the 287g
    Each police officer work just 5 days a week
    Each police officer, in the normal course of duty, process just one illegal per day, on average
    Do this for 104 weeks

guess what will have occurred????

1250*2*30*5*104= 39000000

That is 39 million illegal aliens apprehended or processed or simply cited.

So don't say that ' there are too many in this country, so just let them be', or "We don't have the manpower"

There aren't and we do.......

March 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  71. rex white

The simple solution to illegal immigration is solving it, pass comprehensive bill and stop debating about it.
    There is no reason not to fix this problem because it will remain unsolved without working for a compromise reform bill.
    Whether people broke the law or not, you can not fit 11 million or more people in jail in order to fix illegal immigration. If you invite this people to legal status, pay fines, fall in line and work decently, then our Federal gov't will tend to earn extra revenues to use in puting fenses to our borders and limiting the number of tourists coming in from different countries.
    The time to do this is now, not next year or the following....Now.

March 22, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  72. T. Lofton

Try living in Texas for a day and you will understand the need for immigration enforcement not reform. You have to be bilingual to get a job because the hispanics don't want to learn English; yet, they expect everyone else to speak Spanish. Certain areas of the city look and feel like Mexico. The Chase banks only have deposit/withdrawal slips in Spanish, the business signs and billboards are all in Spanish.

People come from Mexico and Central & South America, they have a ton of kids, which equals Medicaid & lone star, and they refuse to learn the English language. Yet, they have this sense that they are entitled to all the rights granted a citizen of this country. Can I go to Mexico and expect everyone to speak to me in English and give me free medical care, food, and housing. I don’t think so.

Anyone who entered this country illegally should be sent back to their country, with their American born children, and made to go through the system.

March 22, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  73. Jose Cuervo

Why do some demons insist it's "amnesty"?

Many people have become so brain dead stupid they do not know the difference between "legalization" and "amnesty"....By the way, I personally know some "illegals" that are better off than many US citizens (they have college education, own their own business, etc) I guess intelligence does not recognize the term "illegal" 🙂

March 22, 2010 at 2:54 pm |
  74. jmz

why is there even a debate about this? ILLEGAL IS ILLEGAL! iberals love totalk about giving everything to everyone, but its always with someone elses money. Im the sone of a LEGAL IMMIGRANT. not a ILLEGAL migrant.they never stop to think of the legal immigrants working their butt off to come here and obeying the laws. they never stop to think that they are hurting the country. Illegals do not pay taxes.,.,if they pay taxes out of their paychecj this means they commited IDENTITY FRAUD...a crime. Where do libs think money comes from? they think that people who are successful are somehow criminals and must be forced to support everyone else. THis is COMMUNISM and does not work. . if they want a civil war in this country keep it up. im not some looney people are pissed s they have never been pissed before and divided as they have never been since the last civil war. a small minority (progressive socialist liberals) want and think they have a right to rule and control the rest of us. they want to control what we think and say, and feel. how we spend our money, what we make. what we do, what we eat. these people need eveyone to support them, yet feel they have a right to tell others the 'right' way to live. in otherwords.,.,NO MORE ILLEGALS they have NO rights hear as far as I and the MAJORITY of REAL americans!!

March 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  75. S Datt

Ask your employers not to hire 11 million illegal immigrants. It is employer's and corporate's fault that they seek cheapemployment from these large blocks of people who don't have legal rights otherwise. If employment is restricted, these people will automatically go to some other place where they can seek alternative sources of income. So, it is not the illegal immigrant's fault but the greed of employers that they want immigration reforms to be broken for a long time for their own sake. If immigration reform is passed or these illegal immigrants are deported, the loser will be the employers.

March 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  76. rrock

This is a good idea if we would like to provide incentives for people to move to this country illegally. Regan declared amnesty for millions and we wound up with 12 to 20 million more illegals. The illegals drive down the wages of low level jobs and increase unemployment for our unskilled, poor citizens. I would like them to go back to their own country and stand in line like the rest of our legal immigrants.

March 22, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  77. Alex

People, it's to much hate here. let's go to reality for a while. Some people say: illegals take my land and my country. Well, everybody knows who's land it was. Illegals take our jobs. Well, millions and millions jobs were sent out to China and other countries. Talk to your senator or congressman to bring those jobs back here. Illegals milking the system for benefits . Well, many legal ones sitting on welfare for many years (especially section 8. subsidized housing). Illegal's must come here legally. Well, just try and I wish you good luck, unless you come from Asia or Africa on political asylum. Sent out all illegals back to their countries and their kids too. First of all, kids born here are citizens like you and their kids will not be citizens over there. The second. How about jobs: picking vegetables or working on meat plants. Who want to take those jobs? Bankers, Wall Street speculators or maybe you? I think we should be fair and civilized not to divide people by status or race. Instead, we should appreciate all people including illegals, who are talented and work hard making this country Great. We need reform now.

March 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
  78. Lisa L.

I agree with Marcus. People have risked their lives to get into this country. Many are Latinos from many differnet countries. Most are working and paying taxes without reaping the benefits. They are good Christian people who left their home countries for many reasons. They would make good citizens and would be more than willing to pay a fine to get on the road to citizenship. I know many of these people tried to get to this country legally but were refused. Why? They aren't criminals for God's sake. Middle Easterners seem to get here very easily and I am wondering why not the Christian Latinos? I would feel much safer with more Latinos in the country as they are God fearing people with values similiar to many Americans.

March 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  79. conoclast

Now that we've finally got healthcare "reform" perhaps now we can focus on the one real issue we face as human beings: that of fixing our planet so that we can continue to live on it. Or not. Immigration reform and full-employment are worthy goals but let's not forget the proverbial 800-pound gorilla at the table: the fact that our very survival as a species is now in question.

March 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
  80. I. S. Hun

There has been a lot discussion about illegal immigrants. What about Legal immigrants? I am trying to be one of them. I can to US to do my masters, then have been working for about 6 years. I am in line to get my green card, but the line is reaelly long. It is going to take me 5 more years to get it. Meanwhile I have to renew my work visa every year and go out of the country get the visa stamped and renter the country.

I have been paying all taxes, medicare and social security(even though Im not eligible to get it back, since I'm not a citizen). I have been doing so for years and years and I still dont see how I can leagally become a migrant. Three years ago the wait time was 2 years and now it has increased to five plus years.

What does a legal person have to do to get immigration. Maybe if the administration gives amnesty to illegals, I should break the law and become illegal myself. then I can quickly get a GC. Talk about the administration favouring illegals over people who coming legally. Sounds more like mafia than a government.

No matter what, the illegals should be behind legals in the line. First preference should be given to those who have been contributing to ths economy and following the law.

March 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
  81. Mila

I'm a legal immigrant myself, but can certainly relate to the frustration and pain of at least some of the illegals in this country since I have couple friends and relatives who're in this country illegally. I know that at least the people I know would be thrilled to become legalized, go to college and pay taxes and not think about being deported any moment along with their American born children to the countries where they face poverty and despair beyond anything any American citizen can imagine. Many of them spent thousands dollars trying to become legal in this country but unfortunately failed for various reasons. I can also relate to those opposing the reform. I'm not happy about the fact that I'm paying huge taxes to support illegal immigrants among others while I have my own family to worry about. But since the country had got itself in this situation over many years, we should work towards finding the most humane and least costly solution. Why not make those who have kids and have spent significant amount of time here pay fines or some kind of separate annual tax, buy health insurance like everybody else and punish employers paying cash to avoid paying taxes? In return they could stay and live here without fear fo prosecution and deportation.

March 22, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  82. Bob

I have multiple friends who immigrated here LEGALLY. Some from Mexico, some from Canada, a couple from the UK.

Some went through the process to bring a spouse. Some are still in the process of getting their spouse here LEGALLY.

These supposed "pro-immigration" groups are a load of bull puckey, nothing more.

NO AMNESTY. NO WAY. NO HOW.

March 22, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  83. tara

My parents were not immigrants. They did not come here of their own free will. Big difference in experience. But our slaveholders were immigrants. Don't ask for inclusion only when it helps you.

March 22, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  84. Ron

Many years have past, now it's time to come to America the legal way!

March 22, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  85. Trayce N. Peterson

It's about time We definitely need immigration reform. So many people from all over the world contribute to this society but do not have "legal" status. They pay taxes but often to reap the benefits e.g. social security. It certainly is a pressing issue right up there with unemployment.

March 22, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  86. jim vicalvi

Yes, we are a country of immigrants. LEGAL immigrants. Not ILLEGAL immigrants. If I do something ILLEGAL, I go to jail. Why these people feel it is their right I can't comprehend. I applaud the people of many countries who have taken the time to become LEGAL immigrants/US citizens.
    The first thing that should be done is to change the law giving citizenship to babies born in the US. If their parents aren't citizens then the kid shouldn't be either!!

March 22, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  87. Jess M

Apart from the 11 million illegals livng here, why does Immigration offer Lottery Visa? Why do we need more people from other nations (without even skills) to walk in here & then demand a zillion benefits out of hard-working tax-payers. Time to reflect & change our policies.

March 22, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  88. Gloria Mason

We need the heath care and the leader need to stop acting like baby's and lead the country cause you are acting like children. You have so much hatred for one another

March 22, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  89. Jack

The main problem with this conversation is that the real numbers on illegal immigration are four times as high. When people estimate that the number of illegals is 11 million one has to wonder how 11 million people generated over 5 million live births in 2009.

It's just not possible. In 2005 the federal housing study estiamte 35 million illegals why the 11 million number by the Pew organization is taken seriously is beyond me – there are more than 11 million illegals in California, Arizona, and Texas. And there are sunstantial illegal aliens population in at least 35 states.

The Heritage Foundation places the cost per illegal per year at $17,000 and since the collapse of the economy it is critical that the US generate savings to regrow the economy. 40 million X 17,000 = 680 billion worth of savings.

So it is critical to shift thru these people and deport back the ones that are not going to help us in the forseeable future. I suspect that we would end up accepting about 10 million and sending home about 32 million.

The other issue is letting in third people legally that hate the country – we aren't doing a good job of screening them either. These individuals many times cost us even more than the illegal aliens. I mean Muslims from dirt poor countries. Most of these individuals never assimilate and cost us around 35,000 per person.
    But illegal immigration can't be controlled unless we control the border and get our middle class birth rate up.

March 22, 2010 at 11:12 am |
  90. Gloria Mason

We need the heath care and the leader need to stop acting like baby's and lead the country cause you are acting like children. You hve so much hatred for one another

March 22, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  91. ken welch

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!!!!!

The mexican invasion is in full swing. We faught the the mexicans in the mexican american war and won. Most people dont realize by 2050, mexicans will be the majority in this US of A. One day we will have a mexican controlled senate and a mexican president and then what....open borders or civil war???. Not a future i care to live through based on the current state of mexico. Americans should not let any illegals become citizens, they are criminals, because they are here illegally and should be treated as such. instead of them leaving their on country they should fight for their on rights in theres like we african americans did, and maybe your children may one day enjoy the fruits of your labor.

We did not ask to be here we were brought here as slaves and we helped build this county with our blood sweat and tears and do not want become the forgoten about minority in this country.

America used africans as free labor and are using mexicans as cheep labor. They didnt learn from the first experience and probably want learn form this one either. Remember the Alamo was a warning. I pray that Barack takes heed to that warning.

March 22, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  92. marcus

I am neither Latin nor North American, so my comments are unbiased.
    There are approx 11 million of illegal immigrants. They broke the law, no doubt about it. However, what most people tend to do is comment on what should not be done. Politics is about what needs to be done. And that's another matter, altogether.
    Rashid, you don't pay 11 million more people unemployment benefits, because these people are working and have already been working for years. If you are unemployed, don't put the blame on illegal immigrants because probably they do jobs you don't even want to put your hands on.
    Lil, what you are suggesting is not to pass amnesty. But you don't rule a country with Don'ts rather with DOs. So, next time you make a comment, make it useful. Suggest what you want the country to do. Let's remember that these illegals are already here and some have been here since the early 90s. The Feds had numerous opportunities to find out where they are and send them back home. I somehow believe that not enough work was done to seek them and now it might be a bit too late, especially if they have kids who have never been to their parent's originating countries.
    Ralph Patch, the USA had 150 million people in the 40s, before baby boom. In 1959 there were 3 billion people in the world. In 1999 we doubled. So, it's obvious that each country takes its fair share. Maybe people should not reproduce like rabbits and contain themselves when they decide to have children!
    To sum up: Illegal immigrants have broken the law, no doubt about it. But they have been part of this society for years and, if they were made legal, they will finally start paying taxes. Not to mention that we will put an end to cheap labor. Employers will finally stop preferring them to the rest of the Americans because they will be as costly as the rest.

March 22, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  93. ramon f. rios

Unless they are willing to follow the legal path to citizenship as my grandparents did,they should go home.I should not have to foot the cost of illegals .I live in an area that has much crime due to the mexican illegals,its very hard not to notice! Most do not want to be good americans,,,they want to get what they can,most of which gets sent back to mexico.NO ILLEGALS,PLEASE GO HOME! We as americans have enough problems to work thru ,without the additional problems that millions of illegals bring!

March 22, 2010 at 10:30 am |
  94. HernandeUSA

We do need reform, but not in the form of Amnesty.

We need actual enforcement of our laws, we as a nation have tried amnesty 19 time prior and the only thing that change in the every increasing number of illegals flooding into this nation demanding , demanding and demanding more and more.....

We a nation of immigrants, but illegals aliens are NOT immigrants, they are intruders and thief's who have entered the United States illegally, hence the name we ALL call them and should not be rewarded for do so.

March 22, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  95. Ralph Patch

Although we are a nation of immigrants, circumstances change over time. I feel we have far too many people in this country already. When I was a kid, there were around 150 million people here. Now, we're looking at 300 million. These people use up scarce resources, generate more pollution, and decrease quality of life for the rest of us. Do we really want a billion people here like China and India have? I sure don't.

March 22, 2010 at 10:05 am |
  96. Rashid

So you want to pay 11 million more people unemployment benefits, EBTs and health insurance with money from where? a struggling economy? more taxes? Why dont we worry about getting the economy and jobs back on track.
    Obama administration has wasted enough time on a health bill already while people have been out of work for months!

March 22, 2010 at 9:56 am |
  97. ronvandm

Although it does need to be addressed, I hope everyone will now put all their efforts into trying to get people back to work and business going again.

March 22, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  98. Lil

People struggle to come legally in US. They spend a lot of money for the documentation, follow the law, pay taxes, etc. Why should illegal immigrants be granted amnesty? That means that all the efforts put into trying to follow the law are in vain. This is outrageous! Shame on USA if they pass such a bill!

March 22, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  99. Grace Hickey

This is a country of immigrents. We are all decendents of immigrants
    If it wasn't for immigrents this country would not be what it is. For those who oppose immigration try living where they came from.

Health care reform- Let those who oppose this, wear the shoes of those who have no insurance and those who can not get any for whatever reason and see how they like it. Shame on them. Those congressmen who negative, let them be without and then see how they feel. Thanks for those who voted for this bill.

March 22, 2010 at 9:28 am |