American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 22nd, 2010

The Teaser

"The Teaser” is a preview of the guests we have lined up for the next day – so you know when to tune in (and when to set your alarm!). Guests and times are always subject to change.

6:30A Spillover violence on the U.S.-Mexico border – real or exaggerated? We're talking to Zapata County Sherriff Sigifredo Gonzalez.

7:30AM Martin Indyk, former U.S. Ambassador to Israel, will talk about the latest tensions between the U.S. and Israel.

8:30AM  Unemployed, uninsured, and facing a $450 monthly prescription – how will the new health care bill help Amy Rabinoff?

Got questions for any of our guests?
Tweet 'em at Twitter.com/amFIX or post them below and we'll try to use 'em!

Filed under: The Teaser
  1. Jay

How much they have wasted on Iraq war and they are complaining about heathcare for the middle class?

March 24, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  2. sandy&peter wolter

hi my name is SANDY an i want to say I'm very happy about the health care being passed so thank you to all that worked so hard to get it done. I'm a breast cancer survivor now 2years/ was dig: in jan 08 / and surg in feb 08 double mystic/ now 2 years cancer free/ i have health ins. and i'm still paying the hospital the money that is my so called copay/ they did not like it when i said i could ony pay $10.00 on ea accct but i can not afford more / i worked for 40 years and then was found to be disabled by s.s. adm./ and there doctors in aug 08/ i also have SLERODERMA/ RA/ PAH/ RAYUNDS//// NO CURE/ ONLY MEDS TO SLOW IT DOWN IT YOU DONE KNOW WHAT SCLERODERMA IS PLEASE LOOK IT UP I HAVE LIMITED SCLERODERMA/ THATS WERE YOU HAVE TO MUST COLLGEN IN YOUR SYSTEM AND IT CAN HARDEN ALL THE MAJOR ORGENS ITS IN MY LUNGSTAKE HIGH COST MEDS THAT CAN ONLY BE GOTTEN AT A SP.PHARM. NOW AND I HAVE TO USE OXYGEN 24-7 but i will stay positive and thank god that the health care reform got done not only for me but for all people and for my kids and grand kids also my husband lost his job in jan 09/ and is unempolyed so thing our very hard for us at this time most od the saving and the 401 k money our gonne nowand my corbra is $80.00 permo/ and my husband is $300.00 a mo/now with the help fr the gov'a i pay 278.00 a mo now and he pays 140.00 for the corbra ins/ but the dr copays our $50.00 per visit for sp/doctors x vvery 3 moand $30.00a vist for pcp doctor and copays for meds/ our for one rx 2500 per year/ and for the rest $55 to 10 per rx so it adds up when you have alot of the high price rx/ my husband had a double bypass in dec 1999/ a strok in 2001/ and has copd/ and thanks to some of our doctors they help us with some samples/ last year we paid out in copays for dr's and rx/ over 7000.00$ in copys / and i hope and pray thing will get better the best thing to do is to stay postive and maybe my wishes will come true thankyou and to all have a great night/ sandy!!!!!

March 23, 2010 at 6:58 pm |
  3. Jane Dixon

To poster Doug Dittus about woman in red dress...do you have kids who have gone or is going through the public education system?? I suspect that you do. We don't have kids, why should we have to pay for your kids education?? With the "logic" you are using, we should not have to do so. You say health care is not a right. Again, applying your "logic" Education is not a right....

March 23, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  4. JB

Anytime your healthcare premiums becomes more expensive than your mortage it's time for reform, some GOP people are saying it will raise the deficit, but they were quiet during the Bush tax cuts. It will not raise the deficit.

March 23, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  5. Lillian in Kannapolis, NC

The Obama Administration initiatives have affected many families in a postive way. Although, it hasn't helped me directly, I support and we should look at the masses of people that it is assisting. I am one, however, there are so many more that are benefiting.

Finally, my inome is 21000 a year, I have never been on welfare, do not plan to get on welfare, no subsidies, why?, because I had a short-plump, black lady; my mother, that taught stance, forging, perservance and most importantly, humbleness smothered with faith.

March 23, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  6. roboraptor

The Republican Party ,is mad because the President has did what know other President has been able to do help all people!!! something the republican know nothing about if your not rich,let be honest republican are not going to help poor people.See you in November.!!! have a nice day.

March 23, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  7. Lillian in Kannapolis, NC

Well, after 23 years of service in the manufacturing sector, I lost my job. Not feeling any remorse, I adopted a strategic plan to complete my education in Health Information Management. With that said, I certainly hope that it's not in vain after "Health Care Reform" is signed into law. Somehow, I believe that health reformation could inadvertently have a further negative impact on employment. Especially, the clause about pre-existing conditions and lifetime coverage no matter what. I am 52 years old and in excellent health (thank God), but the question of the day is "Will an employer give me a chance based on the statistics/risk for people like me being over 50?"

I guess I'll have to do some serious networking, huh? Let's not be confused, I fully support health care reform, just concern about it's impact on potential employer hiring practices.

March 23, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  8. MsDee2604

In response to Mr. Doug Dittus...GET A JOB request,

I see the day, you face a situation where you are facing some health care event where your health insurance flip the script quoting fine print policies...

I doubt you would handle it as well as the lady in red dress with cervical cancer and irritated bowel syndrome.

Most people who say things like that obviously have no point of reference, hence, do not know what they are talking about.

How can one get a job if they are DEAD! WHAT A FOOL!

March 23, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  9. MsDee2604

I have a relative, who was a member of an HMO, have wages garnished for ten years because she had a grapefruit sized tumor in her stomach which was removed without their permission.

She got sick at work, she could not call for pre-approval by her HMO because she was taken to the emergency room having passed out at work. Her employer sent her to the emergency room.

Without government intervention, people do not stand a chance facing health insurance companies who have republicans working for them. This we have already seen, historically. After world war II, we sent the people to help Germans and Japanese establish the health care plan under development for America. Then, that priority slipped through the cracks.

Our country planned each person a quality of life which includes health care management. It amazes me how little people know about how bad things have been and really are that they would prevent government support of the American family.

I think we should, as a people, revamp not the health care system, but the entire political system. Starting with the republicans, then the voting system of the states and finally we should simply the whole process so that all people can get engaged in making America what we want her to be for all people.

We, each of us, teach each other how to treat us. Americans have taught the military industrial complex it is ok to dump on us, until now.

Stand for something or fall for anything.
    unknown author

March 23, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  10. Teri Lucara

Health care changes? Economy on the upswing? I tried to plow through the health care bill online to learn how this bill might positively affect my 73-year old husband and myself at 62. Currently we pay $833.00 a month for medical coverage, medications and past due hospital bills because my deductible is so high everything comes out of pocket. We both still work, although as a real estate agent, work for my husband has been non-existent for two years, I just lost one of my two jobs, our home is in danger of foreclosure (none of the Obama programs worked for a variety of reasons), and we have drained our IRAs and retirement funds.Total income for 2009 was $27,769. It doesn't take a genius to figure out times aren't good...we know we aren't alone – and there is comfort in that – None of the programs, none of the initiatives are working for us, but we continue to go to work every day struggling to pay health insurance and keep our heads above water. Although neither one of us have ever collected unemployment, been on welfare or asked for any handouts we don't see any relief in sight. So much for change...

March 23, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  11. Gracie

Health care–this bill means for me that no other member of my family will have to quit work should he/she get diagnosed with cancer, and thus find themselves with a pre-existing condition, be unable after 6 months, to continue to pay bills and pay for medicine. My cousin who was just short of being a millionaire, died bankrupt because he couldn't work with cancer, was dropped by his insurance company, and could not get any with a pre existing condition except Cobra whose rates far exceeded what he could pay along with the co-pay they offered. He had to stop the chemo, pills, bloodwork, ct scans after 6 months. He had to die because he wasn't a multimillionaire.

March 23, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  12. Doug Dittus

I just finished watching the lady in the red dress from Denver with the precancerous cervix and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I am agast, she has been out of work for 1 year. She needs to survive, I have a tip for her. GET A JOB. I dont care if it is flipping burgers for three different chains. It is not my responsibility to provide her with health care. Health care is not a right

March 23, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  13. MsDee2604

I had a relative have wages garnished for ten years because she had a grapefruit sized tumor in her stomach. She got sick at work and was taken to the emergency room unconscious. She later got her bill in the amount of nearly $20,000 where her salary as a cook for 30 years was only $20,000. For years, she worked 40-hrs per week and the hospital who sued her got her entire pay.

March 23, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  14. zishan alvi

I am Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan where I pay 252 now , its has been increasing every year and I may have been to doctor probably once or twice a year for physical. I do not smoke, in perfect health but every year for some reason my they keep raising my insurance.

With the new reform, are they going to have some checks and balance on these companies, who before did not have to answer to anyone?

Or can I change my insurance to a govt run cheaper insurance?

March 23, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  15. Diane McWilliams

I don't have an opinion yet re:Health care Reform, but here is something that really irritates me.
    I worked for an Ins Gieant....State Farm, Bloomington, Il for 25 yrs.
    I terminated employment after 25 years so I coudl travel with my husband. without officially retireing I could not carry over my group Ins, which was a GREAT plan.....was willing to pay all the premiums and then had to find my own individual Health plan...talk about expensive.
    I think if an employee has a certain # of years vested in the plan they should be able to make a choice to take on the Co portion of premiums and keep a plan that they were very happy with.

Diane McWilliams
    Dwight, IL

March 23, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  16. Tracy

After being in war abroad, its a shame we as Americans can't stand together for the one victory we have accomplished. We elected our political representatives and most recently our President to represent us. We elected him on a health care platform. "According to a Pew Research Center for the People and the Press report in 2005, Americans, including a majority of conservatives, favor government health insurance for all, even if taxes increase.13 In the 2008 US presidential race, health care reform was a key domestic issue. According to these polls, 70% of likely voters said they wanted a complete overhaul or major change to the system. " I use to be a proud republican, but their actions, rhetoric and pander to next election while forgetting about the average working American is despicable. They squandered a chance to develop a platform based on what we need – jobs, instead they chose to waste time capturing headlines with defensive hateful strategy. I am considering changing parties...and yes, I will remember in November to vote for families and civility.
    Tracy
    Health Reform Redux: Learning From Experience and Politics
    Johnathon S Ross. American Journal of Public Health. Washington: May 2009. Vol. 99, Iss. 5; pg. 779, 8 pgs

March 23, 2010 at 7:01 am |
  17. Jennifer

This is in regards to the brief interview that was aired (6:30A Spillover violence on the U.S.-Mexico border – real or exaggerated? We're talking to Zapata County Sherriff Sigifredo Gonzalez)

My hometown is McAllen TX, near Brownsville which encompasses the Rio Grande Valley, essentially the entire southern tip of Texas. The 'spill over violence' is a real concern. It has been so for quite some time. And the federal government has NOT provided much if any assistance.

If you are going to report on such things (finally) do so fairly, accurately and appropriately. Not in a light that would seem to shed doubt on the legitimate concern and danger this has become not only in my home town but along the entire US/Mexican border. This indeed has been occurring for quite some time, it is a real danger and it is a real concern.

March 23, 2010 at 7:01 am |