American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 24th, 2010

Dr. Gupta answers your health care reform questions

(CNN) - It's not just President Obama's big idea anymore, it's the law. You have plenty of questions about health care reform and we have answers. Our Dr. Sanjay Gupta answered some of them on Wednesday's American Morning.

Filed under: Health
  1. Jo

My sister is covered by private insurance that has an exclusion of certain benefits based on a pre-existing condition. This is the only way they would issue a policy. The premiums keep going up and up and are now costing approx. $2,000/month with a $2,000 cap on meds and the exclusions. She is fast coming to a place where she cannot afford the premiums but is afraid to let the insurance lapse. Will healthcare reform help her in any way?

April 7, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  2. Mike in Vermont

I was wondering what impact if any these insurance reforms will have on people with "pre-existing conditions in their ability to get life insurace? Will the pre-existing conditions clause affect the Life insurance industry? Many people with cancer, Aids and other insurance excluding conditions are unable to get life insurace as well. Can they expect a little help from this bill?

Thanks for your time.

March 31, 2010 at 9:13 am |
  3. Jennifer Strouss

What changes if any will the health care bill have on military insurance?

March 28, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  4. Kimberly A. Morosky

Question: Did anything change for insurance companies requirements for authorization or referrals for outpatient testing?

The inefficiencies occur because insurance companies have different rules and change them at different times. This delays testing for patients until the physician's office obtains the authorization from the insurance company.

Solution: Make standard authorization and referral requirements for all insurances. Make the revisions annually on the same day, like Medicare currently does, every October 1st.

March 27, 2010 at 7:42 am |
  5. Franklin L. Piehl

Obesity is not a mystery. High Fructose Corn Syrup is known to cause Type 2 diabetes and obesity. It is in almost ever processed food and is cheap. It should be made illegal ...

March 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  6. christy

No more smoke and mirrors. I think this healthcare bill is just that and that the American people dont want the politicians telling them whats best for them. A straight out discussion, in truthful terms, is the only way anyone should actually feel good about this bill. If I knew the truth of what was really in the bill, I may or may not agree with it but I certainly would feel better about my leadership. The fact that legislation on student loans was thrown in there, makes me distrust the whole thing. If our government wants our trust, they should be upfront and truthful about everything. We are still debating about it, therefore there shouldnt have been a law passed until that debate was finished.

March 25, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  7. kathy gedmin

I was so excited when I learned that young adults would be covered "immediately" under this new health care plan. I have a 24 year old son just discharged from the military as the result of a mental health condition. He is not covered under the VA because they rated his condition "pre-existing". Alass, I hear that it will take up to six months for that coverage to be implemented. Is that correct?

March 25, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  8. Adam Lucas

Now it makes sense. Thats why all the treats are going on in Mexico the cartels are gonna lose their business to the goverenment ha ha. But it will not work.
    It is a weed it grows just about anywhere and they will not get the tax or is it going to be legal to have it .And illegal to grow it. I think it is a way to take the power away from the cartels.wow that is a hole new market.How stupid is that. How are people going to work when they can not pass a drug test. Oh i forgot their's not that many people working anymore.

March 25, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  9. Chris

This is supposed to be a free country, and now the government is demanding that you have health care or you will be fined. kinda sounds like socialism. besides the fact is, people will end up in jail for not paying there healthcare fines eventually, or to avoid fines, people will not file taxes, and then also more jail and prison time, withc will cost tax payers more money.

March 25, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  10. Adam Lucas

Everybody should have health care. And whoever is against it. Just take it away from them for a while and see what happends. We should not care about the cost. The federal government does not care about the cost of war.

March 25, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  11. Doreen lawlor

If legalising Marijuana in North America, because we are fighting for that.
    Would take the underground market. Money from pot go to drug
    dealers, then to another supplier. Then god knows what happens from there.
    The Governments don't realise the money involved.
    alot of land free to grow it.
    The pharmacetical companies could even produce a pot pill.
    less harm for the lungs.

March 25, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  12. deb rogers

When I hear the disrespect among politicians, unashamed of , at the least, being rude, it is no wonder that our children and youth are bullying each other, sometimes to the point of young victims taking their lives. This is shameful and irresponsible "leadership."

March 25, 2010 at 8:44 am |
    • Jon

Well said.

March 25, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  13. ErnieSeverino

I know we need health care reform. I was trying to get rehab equipment to help me recover from my stroke. the company I was talking quoted me a price of $7500. cost if ins payed for it . but if my ins would not pay for it I could buy it for $4740. sounds like lets overcharge the ins co. I went to a new rehab office yesterday I told about this equipment and the use of botox . they looked at me like i was crazy and would not look at the paper work i had on this . Then tells me I spend to much time on the net looking for this stuff. Well thats about all I can do all day. I say President Obama is at least trying to improve healthcare.

March 25, 2010 at 7:57 am |
  14. Travis Rogers

I receive Medicare and Medicaid in the state of California. California has cut mental health funding, vision and dental. I suffer from schizo-affective disorder and have found it hard to fine descent Mental health Care in my area.. How will the new health care bill help or hurt me? My life partner was born with Cerebral palsy and scoliosis. He is also legally blind due to cataracts. He is on SSI and only receives Medicaid in California. Will the new bill force the state to offer vision care?

March 25, 2010 at 6:55 am |
  15. A. Smith, Oregon

Recently the health industry voluntarily suspended injecting infants in America with a anti-diarrhea vaccine of Rhino Virus. Independent Researchers found remains of Animal Virus's in that Vaccine.

Vaccine designers that have since gone on the record to discourage people from undergoing a vast array of vaccines HAVE REPEATEDLY stated THEY ALSO saw Animal Virus's present in the vaccines they were developing and other vaccines they tested.

The same vaccine designers stated this was a recognized side-effect of using animal parts and animal hosts to create remnants of the vaccine.

Their absolute concern was the artificial creation of Inter-Species Virus's directly as a result of injecting animal virus's into the human body that has a compromised immunity response giving birth to a entirely un-natural trans-species Virus.

My question Dr. Gupta, are you concerned about the creation of Inter-Species Virus's as a result of animal virus's being injected into human bodies?

March 24, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Carl Peter Klapper

Those of us who are opposed to health insurance of any kind are feeling attacked by the legislation, the President and the Democrats. We do not make claims or expect your health insurance to pay our hospital and doctor bills. We do not go to the emergency room unless referred there by our doctor or when our doctor is not available such as the wee hours of the morning. We do not feel we should be faulted when we haggle over charges which your health insurance has grossly inflated and which you yourselves do not pay. We neither ask for your pity nor deserve your scorn. All we ask for is a voice but we have been denied that.

March 24, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  17. john flys

I would like to clarify some points with respect to the Public Medical Plan In Ontario, Canada. All citizens are covered. There is NO PREMIUM!
    However if one has an income & files a tax return there is a Health Tax
    of approximately 1% of gross annual income. If your income is at the
    "poverty level" say $20,000. there is no Health Tax. If you have no income you are definitely
    covered. An income of $50,000. would generate a Health Tax of
    about $500.00.
    The service is EXCELLENT! I & my wife have used it. Waiting time for
    "elective" medical services may be a few weeks to a few months in the Province of Ontario. Emergency or serious conditions are attended to
    immediately.
    Canadian's culture has always been one of caring. We are our brothers' keepers .

March 24, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  18. Tad Tuleja

In assessing the current crisis in primary health care availability, your analysts might look more closely at the role of advanced practice nurses, or nurse practitioners (NPs). The 135,000 nationally certified NPs now practicing in the United States handle 600 million patient visits a year. According to numerous comparative studies, they provide clinical care comparable to that of physicians at much lower cost and with significantly higher patient satisfaction levels. Their impact on the caregiver shortfall deserves wider attention.

March 24, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  19. Mary

This morning you answered a comment concerning how small businesses will cover health care expenses. Does the Health Care Reform bill provide any reform for businesses that avoid providing benefits by only hiring temporary employees and/or self-contractors; I believe the term is fleecing. One such company, a government defense contractor currently employs several hundred employees full-time, but because they used a temp placement service and continue to document them as temp employees, they do not cover benefits. Any salaried position requires the employee to be a self contractor. Who covers these people?

March 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
  20. unknown

Where does military tricare fall in this health care reform? Is it unaffected?

March 24, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  21. Martin Barnewolt

I am a 56 years old single male unemployed for about a year now! How will this health care bill help me? I have always had a job and have paid into Medicare since 1970.

March 24, 2010 at 10:42 am |
  22. RitaP

I have a private insurance policy with Blue Cross Blue Shield. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. My insurance provider is trying to rescind the policy under their preexisting conditions policy since I was covered under Unicare when I had my irregular mammogram. Unicare has merged with BCBS since last year December. How will the health care reform help me?

March 24, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  23. coventry

If its good then why is there a no insuance fine?

March 24, 2010 at 10:15 am |