American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 2nd, 2010

LIVE Blog: Chat with us during the show

Editor's Note: Welcome to American Morning's LIVE Blog where you can discuss the "most news in the morning" with us each and every day. Join the live chat during the program by adding your comments below. It's your chance to share your thoughts on the day's headlines. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules: 1) Keep it brief 2) No writing in ALL CAPS 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (that includes $#&*).

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will announce new airport security measures on Friday.

New airport security measures to be announced Friday

(CNN) – All flights entering the United States will be subjected to a new level of security screening, officials plan to announce Friday.

The new security measures, that will be announced by Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, will use "real-time, threat-based intelligence," according to the official.

The new measures will supersede the measures put in place immediately after the attempted terror attack on Christmas Day 2009, the official said.

"These new, enhanced measures are part of a dynamic, threat-based aviation security system covering all passengers traveling by air to the United States," the official said. "To more effectively mitigate evolving terrorist threats, these measures utilize multiple, random layers of security, both seen and unseen and are tailored to intelligence about potential threats." FULL STORY

Church expands flock on Facebook

The church has never be an organization accused of keeping up with the trends, but now places of worship are using social networks like Twitter and Facebook to expand the flock.

Church 2.0 – where followers are believers. Carol Costello will have the story live for us from Washington.

Apple's iPad meets its critics

Just one day, now, until Apple's iPad is released, but the reviews are already in. The Wall Street Journal is calling it a "wicked fast" "lap-top killer."

The New York Times is not too happy with its touch-screen keyboard or lack of a camera, but still calling it "deeply satisfying" and "goof-proof."

It's being called one of the hottest new pieces of technology ever, but will it live up to the hype?

Arik Hesseldahl is the senior technology reporter from Businessweek.com and he'll join us with a preview.

Sound off: We want to hear from you this morning. Add your comments to the LIVE blog below and we'll read some of them on the show.

Filed under: LIVE Blog • Top Stories
  1. American Morning

Thanks for contributing to the show everyone. Have a great weekend and see you Monday!

April 2, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  2. Ken

Don't forget good ole Ronnie and his "tax cuts" and deregulation of the savings and loan industry what those did for the economy. Sound familiar? My mother used to say, "When the Republicans start talking about tax cuts...hang on to your wallet!"

April 2, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  3. Thomas K Wirth

About that man in India saving people, it says in Nehemiah 9:27:
    "...and in their time of trouble, when they cried unto you, you heard them from heaven; and according to your manifold mercies you sent them saviors, who saved them out of the hand of their enemies(destruction)"

Saviors isn't capitalized and is in the plural, so one can logically assume that there can be multiple saviors (e.g. doctors, firefighters, everyday heroes, etc.), not just Jesus, the Messiah. It further states in Romans 1:7 that we are all "called to be saints".

April 2, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  4. Annu123

I just heared on the CNN that some people think Republicans would do better job than Dems for the Economy. Who are they kidding. Please!! The history says not true. Sr. Bush left a huge deficit for Clinton, who turned it around in a surplus to his predecessor Bush, who in turn ran it all the way to the ground to almost the worst depression, and past it on to Obama, who within one year prevented the depression, and is still got to go 3 more yrs for more positive actions. History say

April 2, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  5. Ken

Really, the results, or lack thereof, will be the same whether church is attended in person or on the web. However just like the car salesmen who can sell a car on line, they still want you to come in to the showroom so that they can close the deal and hopefully sell you those little "extras".

April 2, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  6. bill

Another idea in regards to people gathering together.....If you are inclined to internet worship......I suppose you would feel the same way about seeing a concert live or on tv......or the politician....actor.....whoever you admire most.....seeing them front and center.....or watching them on tv.......as far as people being shut ins.....That is our responsibility....human contact......human touch.....human being there......Have you ever considered walking into a nursing home to sit and talk with a shut in.? Take flowers? Check and see about a pet going in??? These shut ins....arent internet savvy...but part of humanity.....and they desire and need.....face to face interaction......That is Christ love to the world....

April 2, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  7. Joe Simmons

I'm associate music director for THE SUNDAY MASS, a Roman Catholic liturgy hosted by ABC News faith contributor Fr. Edward Beck. It's broadcast nationally on cable and online at TheSundayMass.org. We have a loyal viewership of homebound people and many others who also attend Mass in person because they like the relevant preaching and good music.

April 2, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  8. Ta'Sean Watts

I think church online is not the best idea because if you feel too shameful to enter an actual house of worship. Then you know that you're not doing what you're suppose to be doing. And how would you give money and have communion like a real church?... All I am saying is pay attention to the times and don't worship false prophets just because it's convenient follow the true Christ you should go to god "seek my kingdom first and all things will be added unto you"-God

April 2, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  9. Chris Ponce / Miami, FL

I'm in Agreement with Father Tim Michael,

I just know too many people who are programmed to their television sets. And your right Father Tom, going to church is a choice, it doesn't make you a better person if you go or not, sometimes people do not need a church community, you just have to have the right motives for your actions.

April 2, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  10. Ronny

The unemployment rate is just wrong. It is ALOT higher than reported. Those numbers are only the people collecting unemployment benefits – not the total number of people without jobs. If a person's unemployment benefits runs out and they still don't have a job – they aren't counted as "unemployed" anymore. Totally bogus way of doing it and just another way corrupt politicians make themselves appear to be doing something about the job situation.

April 2, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  11. Father Tom Michael

One of the most difficult things for those who have been disenfranshised by their particular denomination is restoring a feeling of confidence and comfort with group worship. In fact, it makes no difference where one worships... only THAT one worships. We Antioch Catholics teach that people attend church not because they have to, but because they want to, and that each of us has our own spiritual journey which may or may not include a church community. Using online resources as a worship assist is fine, as long as people realize that that should be informed by these sources, not programmed by them.
    Father Thomas Michael
    Gentle Sheperd Church of Antioch
    Richmond VA

April 2, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  12. Chris Ponce / Miami, FL

Church 2.0 Continued....

Praying through my PC would seem personal as if I was in church listen to the Pastor or Priest. I think it would be a little weird all-together, but I actually might try it, who knows, maybe my friends start converting to Christianity because of it. They don't need to wake up at 7 or 8 in the morning to attend mass anymore, they can catch a replay on their TIVO in a few years. I think that's where we are heading...

April 2, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  13. Susan from Toronto Canada

The ability to worship on line will allow those people that are house bound or a community of elderly people to worship together such as in a nursing home. Great idea!

April 2, 2010 at 8:37 am |
  14. Rita

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that the Massachusetts principal who failed to notice that his student was being bullied, is now being bullied by close-minded people across the country?

April 2, 2010 at 8:35 am |
  15. Ed Hailio

What health care reform? Is everybody down there on stupid pills. When the American tax payer wanted reform they wanted a system where they could all pool their money together to help each other. This idea was scorned as socialism. Barak Obama told the people he would give them reform so the insurance companies can't continue to gouge and screw the people.But this is what he actually gave tt the insurance companies he so claims to be at odds with. He put into law that everyone has to have health insurance.Does this not speak of tyranny or communism? The GOP pretended to hate this bill but in reality they love it because now this guarantees these corrupt
    institutions of which many of them have stock in, Cash for life so they and their heirs will never have to work for a living. 30M extra policy holders putting forced money into their coffers, you do the math.

April 2, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  16. Chris Ponce / Miami, FL

Church 2.0

Praying through my PC would be kinda Weird. Having a Christian upbringing in my home this would be rather difficult because I went to church every Sunday till I was 18. I understand churches are trying to reach more people with the gospel but how far is too far. Will we use any means possible in the future to spread the gospel? This could get fishy....

April 2, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  17. Chris Ponce / Miami, FL

James,

Haha...I agree with you all the way. I mean that song/tune would be fitting for Kieran...

About the Churches now using Facebook. Let it be. But i'll tell you this much, private school always looked at our Facebook profiles to see if we had any inappropriate things and we would get in trouble for it..

Not any more...They are using it as a Marketing Tool!! Haha...

April 2, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  18. stormerF

John,Kieran.. You need to get your ratings up. Have your investigative reporters look more at the Scripted Town Halls Obama,has. No Hecklers allowed that is not a town hall meeting. All he does is campaign and talk,talk,talk.when is he going to answer questions about how we are going to pay for all this free health care he keeps promising? Where is the real story about his so call off shore drilling? Why was California coast not opened up,when we have the infrastructure in place to handle off shore drilling there? Where is the story on his closure of Yucca Mountain,a 13 Billion dollar 22 year project that was to be our Nuclear fuel rod depository,Obama let them close? Now he wants a blue ribbon commission to look for a place to store Fuel rods? You need to start reporting the facts and get off the koolaid ,if you want you ratings to go up.

April 2, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  19. James

Candy Crowley said that John has "Big, Bad John" (as his theme song) but that she could not think of a Kiran song yet. It should be quite obvious: Fergie's "Chetrylicious"! :-)

April 2, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  20. Joe Neal

Michael Steel is a level headed Republican for the most part. I am a Democrat and find that Steel's problem from the very beginning is that he is African American and is not accepted as head of the Republican Party. Just take a long look at those attending Republican Conventions and all you see is white gray haired people. Michael Steel is in the wrong party. They, the Republicans will not be satisfied until he leaves and someone more compatible is installed as their head.

April 2, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  21. Jessica

Loved John A's (stuffchristianslike) Interview on Church on the internet!

April 2, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  22. Chris Ponce / Miami, FL

Dan,

I agree with you. They didn't have a problem being searched and I didn't either. Nowadays I think people assume too quickly. I'd rather then check as many people as they possibly could because heck, unfortunately we have some Americans that have converted into "American Terrorists". So if I were TSA, I would check more often. I'm happy they check more often, I feel safer...

But I completely Agree with you...

April 2, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  23. mike-sey

Interesting that yesterdays's line-up included a piece on the tasering of an obnoxious 5' grandma by a 250 lb cop. Anyone think bullying is deeply embedded in everyday society or wonder where kids get the idea its an OK way to go?
    Just watch Repo guys, Dawg the bounty hunter, You're Fired and other top rated reality shows – or listen to a few Talk radio shows for a while to get the idea that bullying is as American as Apple Pie!

April 2, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  24. Ronny

Hopefully the corrupt health care "law" will be repealed when Obama is ran out of office in 2012.

The power will shift in 2010 when most of the Democrats are booted out of office.

April 2, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  25. Dan S

Profiling is a fact of life not matter what you call it. Govt has info on people, and groups of people collectively, that increases the chance of catching or thwarting terrorist activities. Why do we take it so personally? I'm grateful that TSA would search someone coming into the country from Yemen versus the grandmother coming into my town from Sarasota. If the people being searched have nothing to hide, than they should not be worried about it. If they're angry about getting searched, blame it on their "profile group" for getting them in that position in the first place.

April 2, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  26. Chris Ponce / Miami, FL

Obama's Health Care,

I am a little worried about the New Health Care Bill now that I have to pretty much pay for people who really don't care to take care of themselves. I am a 21 year old college student and now I have to work even more because more taxes are going to be taken out of my check to help other people. I like helping people less fortunate than myself..But how far into socialism are we going to get??

April 2, 2010 at 8:10 am |
  27. David graff

I think the desire to hold the administration liable for the teens death is a symptom of what is wrong with our society. As a father of 7 children I feel I am responsible for the actions and training of my children. If me children were involved in such a horrible situation hold them accountable and then hold me the parent for not raising my children properly. The problem lies on the fact that we have put the responsibility for raising our children on society. Shame on us. If people want to blame someone then look inside our own homes.

April 2, 2010 at 8:08 am |
  28. Jamie

In response to ton's comment about John is ok I guess. It feels good to watch cnn with a Canadian (home) connection. I know more about American politics then I do about Canada. Watching John makes me not feel so bad about that.

April 2, 2010 at 8:05 am |
  29. Chris Ponce

More on Airport Measures,

I like that they are stepping up security at airports. As a college student that travels a lot, I do not like the continual screening of my friends. This continues to this day. A friend of mine gets screened every single time he goes to the airport. We have to get to the airport even earlier just because of this...

Once again, Have a great day!

April 2, 2010 at 8:04 am |
  30. James

John, are you going to buy the third generation iPad? You said you that you always wait for the second iteration.

Kiran, looking good again in pink! Your "new obsession"? :-)

April 2, 2010 at 8:03 am |
  31. Tim

Karen's piece on the new A&E Runaway kids show was simply a commercial. There was nothing news worthy about it. Leave the advertisements to the commercial breaks and between the breaks focus on the news.

April 2, 2010 at 8:01 am |
  32. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

AUTISM....I thought this new Health Care Reform covered children with pre-existing conditions. Listening to Dr. Gupta discuss the cost shows a lacking of coverage for these children.To think that a national body has the capabilty to properly medicate its people but refuses to do so until they are paid off par for the course for these freaking political criminals they have become.pretending to serve the People.

April 2, 2010 at 8:00 am |
  33. Gray

Do you guys do NEWS anymore? Your show is like a re-reun of Entertainment Tonight. I'll go back to getting news online. C-Ya!

April 2, 2010 at 7:59 am |
  34. John

Why didn't Congressman Hank Johnson comments on "the potential of the island of Guam tipping over if we send more troops and their families there! " attract any real media attention?

Can you imagine what Adm Willard was thinking when he was asked this question?

These are the guys that make the laws of our land! Doesn't it make you wonder?

April 2, 2010 at 7:58 am |
  35. Chris Ponce

Airport Measures...

As a college student, I just flew for an Alternative Spring Break to Seattle from Miami, FL went through the airport security in a few minutes, while a friend of mine that was coming with me got screened for at least 25min, we almost missed our flight. I believe he was labeled because one of the airport TSA's said that he "Might be one of them" under her breath. Is this right of them to profile people like that? I beg to differ....

Have a great Show!!

April 2, 2010 at 7:55 am |
  36. YK

Kiran,

I think the CNN is a lot lot (yes I purposely wrote it twice) in the middle of the road. I watch both Fox and CNN and sometimes trying compare the two I feel Democrats are at a disadvantage for CNN being walking in the middle of the road. I have a hunch from the way I see you that you are a very Republican supporter... You just cannot bring your personal views and may bee feel that the person is correct who says CNN is not towards the middle of the road,,It is !
    Or even Jack Cafferty the other day passing a judgement on the CEO of NBC saying he is still sitting in the chair (but then possibly at someone's hint correcting himself that "what does he know"... seriously.. NBC has prevented another network from getting a late night show for the cost of $35 odd mil dollars ! and everyones a winner !!!!
    But Cafferty was so wrong bringing in his comments..... (well I am also passing my judgement here... so I'd like to give him benefit of the doubt..that I might not be knowing something) !!!

I like you very much as an anchor a lot overall !!!! I hope you excel at CNN.. Wishing you a Great Luck !

April 2, 2010 at 7:55 am |
  37. Grace

You ever notice how state governments come up with fiscal answers like cutting funding for schools, raising taxes, and firing state employees but they NEVER skip their pay raises, cut their pay, or cut their pensions? Why do we have to make all of the sacrifices while they carry on with business as usual?

I live in Illinois, and I think Quinn needs to start looking for a new job, but Brady doesn't look any better. I wonder what the other candidates look like...

April 2, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  38. Jamie

Thanks for answering my question kiran. No harm in asking I suppose, lol. I still think your great! And no John I am not your producer. Just some dude in calgary who has taken a liking to American morning. Take care

April 2, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  39. Jon

I go to an internet church, on Saturday night. At life church.tv This church is great, I love this church so much. But I do agree it can be a bit impersonal.

April 2, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  40. Art Anderson

Sandra got u media folks right were she want them. It's apparent the 2 has differences. Sandra's a sweetheart.

You see in order to not out Jesse, for his racism w/ kkk ideology, she allows u the "media" to chase the infidelity story, while she remains silent. Sandra stated on the view, the Academy Award speech and also reiterate on Oprah "my mom taught me to love everyone no matter their ethnicity."

It's obvious Jesse's
    business symbol "West Coast Chopper" bares the symbol that is on the KKK, robe. Yes, they are on the rise again.

April 2, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  41. Joshua Wertheim

As much as attending religious services on the internet is interesting, and with people now twittering their wedding vows, I have decided that when I die I do not want to be buried, I'd rather have my body digitized and turned into a Flash movie that can be downloaded to an iPad.

April 2, 2010 at 7:50 am |
  42. Chris Ponce

Morning, John and Kieran

Concerning the I-PAD:

As a college student attending Florida International University in Miami, FL, I do not think many student will use the I-Pad. I mean, that thing is huge. I see everyone with I-Phones and I-Touches on campus. I'll be surprised if I see an I-Pad in the coming days. I think Apple made a mistake, and it's going to hurt them at the end. What do you think College Student will do? Will they transition into the I-PAD this coming FALL?

Thanks!

April 2, 2010 at 7:50 am |
  43. T

Hey! Americans dig Kieran too! John's ok I guess ;-)

April 2, 2010 at 7:49 am |
  44. bill

There is a scripture in the New Testament...."Where two or three are gathered in my name......there am I in the midst of them......_ If we dont actually come together in worship....in even a small number, accepting others where they are....how can we be hope to be Christ like. It is people coming together in community, imperfect people....people who we would have differences with....that Christ is exposed in His love.

April 2, 2010 at 7:48 am |
  45. Paula

In regard to Church 2.0: God is omnipresent and if you are a Christian, Christ is where you are because he lives inside of you when you accept him as your savior, as such "church" is anywhere you are, at home or in a crowd, and that relationship doesn't change just because you enter a building. What may be missing is the opportunity to fellowship with like-minded belivers but these days like-minded people communicate all of the time on-line.

April 2, 2010 at 7:44 am |
  46. Jamie

Pilots on Prozac? I thought April fools was yesterday. Are flyers going to be notified that their pilot is on Prozac?

April 2, 2010 at 7:43 am |
  47. Amelia C.

Regarding the church service on Facebook: Though the concept of worshipping or enhancing your faith and relationship with Jesus Christ is a great one through internet and media, we must never forget that the Word of God says in Hebrews 10:25 "not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near"

It's a wonderful benefit to have technology for us to utilize to learn more and be strengthened more in our faith, however, forsaking the assembling together causes us to miss something very important in our relationship with others as well as in our relationship with Christ. Our faith is not something to keep confined to our living rooms but something we should experience and share. It's a lifestyle. Not a one time event each week.

April 2, 2010 at 7:41 am |
  48. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Watching the piece on runaways.....on the White House page years ago I saw a statistic listed showing over eight hundred thousand children are reported missing each year. It also stated over five hundred thousand children are not reported but go missing==1.3 million children each year in the United States of America alone. Thanks for this piece...The Runaway Squad...thank you.

April 2, 2010 at 7:41 am |
  49. Rod Fontenette

I feel that attending Church over the internet could be beneficial. With today's economy being unstable, people are having to work over the weeken to make ends meet. This, at times, can make it difficult to attend traditional worship service. Also, in response to needing the "fellowship" aspect of Church, you can log on with family and friends. Also, there are people that attend mega churches that never meet the actual pastor/Bishop due to the size of the congregation. This does not seem to affect them nor their faith. The bottom line is that if you truly believe in God, you can find him any and everywhere!!

April 2, 2010 at 7:39 am |
  50. Dewain

I live in Florida and have been unemployed since june,2009. At this time I am on my 1st tier of emergency benefits and have been told, that , if your benefit balance 0's out before April 3, you will automatically
    go to tier 2 of emergency benefits, but if your benefit balance 0's out after April 3 , your unemployment benefits stop,which mine does, unless congress extends this extention past April 3. We are told that there are 4 tiers of emergency benefits, If this is true, then why are we unable to continue to next tier,unless Congress extends benefits past April 3

April 2, 2010 at 7:37 am |
  51. David G.

Gang:

I don't know so much about this online church thing, but why is Carol Costello hating on Mafia Wars?

Happy Good Friday, everyone!

David G.
    Equality, Alabama

April 2, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  52. Joshua Wertheim

Regarding the iPad (and I say this as an iTouch junkie): A USB port is not a 'non-starter" as was said by the recent 'expert'. Printing, for one, can't be performed without one. Retrieving content from an external drive when you have more content than can fit on the iPad is another. If I'm using it on the road, I'd rather not have to connect to my laptop in order to do either. It should be my choice how I use a device like this, not Apple's. No Flashpayer? I thought freedom of choice was Apple's mantra, I guess that was the 'good old' Apple and not this one.

April 2, 2010 at 7:31 am |
  53. Jamie

I am really tired of this bullying story. Bullying has been taking place for a very long time. Parents need to quit looking for someone to blame and take a look at themselves in someone to blame. Parents are responsible for teaching their kids ways in dealing with life. Everyday in any given place there is someone out there trying to over power someone else. We need to learn how to deal with these situations in life. I suggest everyone read "celestine prophecy" as it touches base with what I am saying

April 2, 2010 at 7:25 am |
  54. AVI GUR

The big problem with the new iPad is when the 3G version will be out. As AT&T is strugling with all the heavy traffic of data downloading via the iPhone 3Gs they will have even a more greater issues when the 3G iPad will be out.

It seems that no one isctalking about it.

April 2, 2010 at 7:22 am |
  55. Ronny

Alot of people want to blame the school officials for the bullying but why isn't any of the blame placed on Phoebe's parents themselves? Maybe if she was instilled with the morals that taught her not to be sexually active @ age 15 the bullying may never have happened at all – seeing that is the ROOT CAUSE.

Maybe is a really big word..

Maybe if the school officials did this....

Maybe if the parents of the bullies did this....

Maybe if the parents of Phoebe did this....

Maybe if everybody quit attempting to shift the blame off themselves tragedies like this maybe won't happen again...

April 2, 2010 at 7:20 am |
  56. eveiyah

Most of the crazy behavior that is occuring among the people in the society are mind controlled through brain waves every thing has a frequensy ,whether it be a name or a number ,all the digital devices that man has created is having drastic effect on the people as the natural magnetism of the earth increases as the planets aligned as Greg made reference above.

Individuals are being blamed physically but this is beyound physical it is a spiritual occuring premeditated by the wicked men of this world.

April 2, 2010 at 7:17 am |
  57. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Anne Coulter and nicorette gum.Did I hear her correctly saying if it was cut down it could be snorted.....ANNE..giving yourself away to easily girl..watch your step...and mouth...

April 2, 2010 at 7:00 am |
  58. Cindy

Of course school teachers and administrators knew about the bullying, other students knew, and parents knew. But as your own posts have shown, bullying has gone on for many years and is almost never addressed by formal authorities. The line between unwelcome teasing and that pack behavior that is intended to bring the victim down is not all that fine, really, but it seems we don't know where the line is until it's too late.

April 2, 2010 at 7:00 am |
  59. Greg Redfern, NASA JPL Solar System Ambassador

Kieran and John,

Good morning!

How about telling your viewers that they can see the planets Venus and Mercury in the western sky about 40 minutes after the sun sets.

Venus is very bright and easy to see in the west, and elusive Mercury is just to the lower right of Venus. These two planets will be getting closer for the next few days and are worth a little skywatching!

Enjoy!

Greg

April 2, 2010 at 6:59 am |
    • American Morning

Greg, thanks for the heads up! We'll try to pass that info along to our viewers. And be sure to check out our live coverage of Discovery STS-131 launch on Monday at 6:21 a.m. -AM

April 2, 2010 at 7:12 am |
  60. Jamie

Kiran... Are you married ? If not, ya wanna marry me and move to Canada ? Lol

April 2, 2010 at 6:58 am |
  61. Ian Williams

I wish they where as tuff on bulling back when I was in JR. High and High School, I was bullied constantly and it cost me my education, so I went to n ight school and they came there to jump me too. Battle Creek Central. I've tried to get my GED in other staes as an adult and had a lot of problems and now I'm back in school trying again and it's hard. Bulling kept me from it then but if someone would have done something my life would completely different today. Laws against it should be really tuff!

April 2, 2010 at 6:56 am |
  62. keith

Enough is enough about the northeast flooding. Quit talking about it...many realy want to hear about other parts of the country.

April 2, 2010 at 6:54 am |
  63. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Sending in twice at times..old dog and new tricks harder..correcting my spelling and sending in second..reason for it..know you already picked that up..thanks reader..CNN

April 2, 2010 at 6:42 am |
  64. Ronny

Why does CNN only report negative stories about the Republicans but never about the Democrats? Both parties are equal corrupt and in the poll you just showed Americans are displeased with BOTH parties.

April 2, 2010 at 6:41 am |
  65. CJ

Is Christine Romans expecting? I've noticed she is sitting further away from the newsdesk when you all are chatting. Just curious!

April 2, 2010 at 6:41 am |
  66. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Climategate investigation= this should be easy for them as it continues to unfold around us globally real time real time all the time from now on. Use the science and stop abusing to satisfy a political direction...

April 2, 2010 at 6:41 am |
  67. Will Pollock

In the prize fight of Karl Rove v. Code Pink in the wingnut of the week award, sorry, Karl Rove wins that hands down. CP may be wacky in their tactics, but I 100% disagree with the assertion that Karl Rove was a victim of anything other than his own hubris and stupidity in that ambush scenario. CP's methods may be off, but someone, anyone, needs to call Rove out on his misdeeds – intensely and often. I think that's a rare miss for John Avalon.

April 2, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  68. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Climategate investigation= this should be easy for them as it continues to unfold around us global real time real time all the time from now on. Use the science and stop abusing to satisfy a political direction...

April 2, 2010 at 6:39 am |
  69. mary lee

I think that the schools are behind the curve on not having in place proper procedures and staff development on the bullying issue. To be fair having some incidents in front of staff is one thing. Now in the electronic age of communication, there is precious little that the district can do to enforce facebook, texting, and IM – ing. That's why the parents and community have to become involved. Maybe they should be in serviced right along with the teaching staff. That way the whole issue is not shifted to the schools.

April 2, 2010 at 6:37 am |
  70. Jamie

I paid $230 for my first generation 2gig ipod and two weeks later there was a brand new 8gig on sale for $160. Ipad might be a great thing but I don't think I'm going to get one just yet. My toshiba laptop still works fine and I never felt ripped off buying it. P.s. Kiran is hot !

April 2, 2010 at 6:22 am |
  71. Ronny

Strip seaches and body cavity checks all around!

And it still wouldn't be enough. A "determined" person will find a way around the security.

April 2, 2010 at 6:21 am |
  72. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Flooding...there are so many contaminations floating around in all that flooding once it receeds will the contamination affect local farming and crops?? This concerns me in all areas that go through flooding.with Rhode Island the current example.

April 2, 2010 at 6:14 am |
  73. Ronny

The parents of all the kids involved – both the "victim" and the "bullies" parents – should be equally held responsible.

April 2, 2010 at 6:14 am |
  74. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Concerning airport security implement hand scanners to take the hand prints of all who go through the airport.This could remove much of the paper trail and speed up processing once travellers have their print put into the airport security system.Eventually all will need to place their hand on a scanner for proper identification so why not begin now.

April 2, 2010 at 6:09 am |
  75. Kevin

John and Kieran,
    Happy Good Friday.
    Are you guys excited about the iPad hitting stores tomorrow? It's getting good reviews. But I'm turned off by what it can't do and what it doesn't have (like a camera). Your thoughts/.

April 2, 2010 at 6:05 am |