American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 12th, 2010

Ron Paul on the state of the GOP

(CNN) – Republicans are looking ahead and eyeing a major political comeback. They rallied the troops at a leadership conference this weekend in New Orleans where a straw poll gave us an early indication of potential GOP candidates in 2012.

Mitt Romney topped Ron Paul on the ballot by just one vote. Sarah Palin was third and Newt Gingrich fourth, both well back of the top two.

Rep. Ron Paul joined us on Monday's American Morning to discuss the future of the GOP and its current role as the minority party.

Read more: Romney nips Paul in Southern GOP straw poll

Filed under: Politics
  1. Adrian Snare

And another thing, any people who judge others on their appearance/attractiveness and think this is important ... this is a recipe for doom..
    Fortunately, most Americans seem to be smart enough to make the correct choice based on abilities, as we did for President Obama.

April 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  2. Adrian Snare

Yeah!
    Republicans, please do run Palin-Paul in 2012.
    I think, or I hope, that the majority of the American voters are wise enough to make the right choice.
    Army-Navy, what you say is interesting and true.
    We do need reform in political campaigning, badly...as well as in education..

April 15, 2010 at 10:58 am |
  3. JarJarBinks

woohoo! Go Dr. Paul! RON PAUL 2012! Let's do this thing!

April 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
  4. army-navy

Some young, good looking male or female needs to align themself with Ron. As sad as it is, Ron needs to be the guy hiding behind them telling them what to say and how to say it, that is the only way his thinking will get to the White House. You know its true, just look at Sarah P, if she was not good looking she would not be where she is now and if she had someone to tell her what to say she could go farther.

April 14, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  5. Adrian Snare

Rashead...
    So many problems..
    First, those who "Internet-argue" should learn respect and courtesy.They should also learn how to read and write.
    I do not like being insulted, do you?
    Nor do I like being misquoted..

I disagree with many of Paul's philosophys...and agree with some..
    Now, I feel that we should exit Iraq and Afghanistan, I have changed my mind on this more than once....and maybe again....I have never been over there and I doubt if anyone is "telling the truth". ...
    Politics has become too dirty, maybe its always been that way.

April 14, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  6. Paul

Mr. Pence,
    I'm happy for you that you lived in a time when employers cared about their workers and paid and treated them well, and when everything was made in America. Corporations have ruined people. Many of their employees need help– I am working two jobs and I support helping them– it's about giving; most of the unemployed DON'T want to be that way!

April 14, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  7. Jim

I think Ron Paul is an intelligent man. I like him and agree with a lot of what he says. However, if he somehow manages to get elected president, very little that he stands for has any chance of happening.

The democrats have the president, house, and senate and have trouble getting anything done. The republicans operated more efficiently from 2000-2006 when they were in charge, but even then were more interested in serving the special interest groups than what their party is supposed to stand for and we are still feeling the recessionary pain of what they did manage to do. If Ron Paul were elected, it would be 4 or 8 years of gridlock with Congress where nothing at all gets done. Of course looking at the things that end up getting done these days, perhaps having absolutely nothing done for 4 years might be a good thing.

April 14, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  8. Paul

I'm a Democrat who would vote for Ron Paul if he were the Presidential candidate for the GOP– he speaks common sense.

April 14, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  9. Jim

PLEASE stop this chattering with the anchors just talking to themselves. If I wanted to hear inane conversations, I'd go to the diner down the street. I want to hear and see the news.

April 14, 2010 at 6:51 am |
  10. Ernest

I'm a democrat. And, I'm black, so naturally I hate Ron Paul...

Actually I don't. If you really listen to politicians and have half a brain, you might notice that Ron Paul is one of the only politicians that seriously discusses issues. I don't know where he is on everything yet, but he is a smart guy who MAY really want to help this country.

Today's politicans for the most part, republican and democrat, in my opinion, don't care anything about the average american citizen. I am not opposed to voting for Ron Paul for president.

I remember seeing him during a debate, where he spoke harshly about america's foreign policy. He was laughed off the stage basically, but he was speaking the truth.

Everyone should listen to this guy and consider voting for politicians who are not just towing the silly party lines. And yes, for all of you out there who are not that smart, both the democrats and republicans party lines are stupid and simply meant to divide you people while they get rich.

Politicans do not live like us regular Americans and their is no reason that us poor masses should vote for people like Obama and Palin to get rich on book deals. Our country has serious problems and in my opinion all the baby boomers have selfishly passed those problems on to us young people.

Finally, why won't mainstream media like the New York Times review books by Ron Paul and Jesse Ventura.

If we don't wake up and get rid of our politicans (who clearly model themselves on the latest stages of the roman empire) (you know, right before that empire failed) we are all in serious trouble.

Or, I might just be a crazy person!

April 13, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  11. Derek

Delguy,
    Ron Paul is in the GOP but dosn't agree with the neocon/George W. Bush forign policy. He voted against both wars, he voted against paying for them and ran for president as the only Republican that was against the war.
    Paul has been against bigger government his whole career.
    Ronald Regan had this to say, "Ron Paul is one of the outstanding leaders fighting for a stron national defense...we need to keep him fighting for our country"
    Regan also said, "I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism."
    That's what Ron Paul is.

April 13, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  12. Sshawd

I'm a democrat, but intelligence and common sense appeal to me. If the republicans would stop being divisive (tea-party) and following that idiot palin around, and put their support behind a true conservative like Ron Paul they may have something. Heck I might even support him.

April 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Vern Ohio

Ron Paul is like most conservatives-lost in another time and another era. He's backward-looking, not forward-thinking. Anyone who thinks conservatives are the answer to some of the problems ailing this nation didn't pay attention to Hurricane George and the aftermath he left from 2001 to 2009.

We need the best of both conservative and liberal ideas, not just one or the other. This nation works best when our leaders compromise on things, and everyone has to give up some to get some of what they want. That is the only way to more the nation forward.

April 13, 2010 at 9:05 pm |
  14. Gary S.

Ron Paul's act is very simple: 1. Declare that your petty little opinions are the pure and living embodiment of the U.S. Constitution. 2. Declare that the Constitution is "under attack" and that only you can save it. 3. Wait for the unwashed masses to be moved by your appeal to this sacred document. 4. Hope nobody notices that this is how every fascist leader in history gained power.

But don't take my word that all these Paulheads are fascists in utero. They'll tell you themselves: "Only legitimate candidate." "The only candidate who understands constitutional government." Not the best candidate, the "only" candidate. Who would dare be so arrogant? "Restore the Republic." Sure, Adolf. Conspiracy theory nonsense about the Federal Reserve... and if you look a little deeper, probably JFK, 9/11, Pearl Harbor, flouridated water, and everything else.

Ron Paul's supporters horrify me, and they ought to horrify everyone else. CNN needs to being so impressed by Ron Paul's Internet popularity, and take a closer look at him, his supporters, and what they say they want for "their" nation.

April 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  15. Rasheed

Adrian Snare.... I think you are confused, or have no idea on Ron Paul's positions. First you give a description of Ron Paul's foreign policy, then you say we don't need him. Ron Paul was the only Republican in Congress to oppose the Iraq war authorization (which most Democrats supported), and is adamantly opposed to world policing. His foreign policy is the main reason he faces stiff opposition from the Republican Party leadership.

April 13, 2010 at 8:36 pm |
  16. Arkansas Independent

Way to go Ron!!! He's the only politician who has the guts to help America out of its deficit woes. Most current republican "leaders" would just slow down the growth of our debt, not reduce it!

April 13, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  17. mike l

Agree with Delguy-where were all the tea partiers when bush-cheney and the repub-led Congress spent like drunken sailors. bush didn't veto one pork-laden spending bill presented by the gop. Where were these small government protesters when cheney said, "Deficits don't matter."? Where were they when bush and Paulsen began the bank bailouts, that somehow, magically, became Obama's handiwork? When the record bush debt was somehow Obama's doing ? None ever protested when a white republican administration did all that, but as soon as a black man got elected, it was Katie bar the door. I am for legitimate protest, but these folks are just showing their true colors for the most part.

April 13, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
  18. Normal In NH

Charles, are you insinuating that character plays a role in today's political world with you comment on Newt...? Seriously...??

April 13, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  19. Alex NJ

Good job too Americans and especially Republicans. Now you listen to what a small contingent amongst you was saying two years ago. Ron Paul is a REAL Republican. He reminds us of a time when Republicans actually were about small government and personal responsibility. Today the only difference between Dems and the GOP is what kind of massive government each advocated. Furthermore Ron Paul is incredibly smart and well spoken. There is no doubt in my mind if given the chance he would steam role over President Obama in a debate. Put another way, he would make President Obama look like Sarah Palin. There is one problem though. He is 74 years old. If elected in 2012 by the time he left office he would be 84. As much as he is exactly what this nation needs, he is too old. Too bad the Republican party didn't wake up sooner.

April 13, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  20. Hank

The problem with Ron Paul is that he is a conservative in a party full of neo-conservatives. The difference is the traditional conservatives fought for less government and personal liberties. The neo-conservatives are spending like drunken sailors on over seas adventures and nation building, combined with war and fear mongering. The neo-conservatives also do not give 2 cents towards your civil liberties or the rights to your own body. Even though I am a democrat he seems to be the only real conservative the GOP has and what do they do? They fear him and discredit him. Way to go GOP and you will be going from the party of no to the party of zero.

April 13, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  21. Citizen

Florida Native needs to get his or her facts straight. Yes, healthcare needed to be fixed NOW. I have a 3 year old daughter with a pre-existing condition from birth. I have fought insurance companies tooth and nail for coverage, and yet she has been denied every time. This new healthcare bill actually gives me the opportunity to pay into the private sector for health insurance for my little girl. A move that both creates jobs, boosts the economy, and helps my family's pocket book breathe a sigh of relief knowing that all of those treatments can now be covered by insurance! HOORAY PRESIDENT OBAMA!! Just because it doesn't directly affect your life doesn't mean that there aren't millions out there who don't literally live or die by the passing of that bill.

Additionally, it wasn't President Obama or any of the democrats in congress who allowed the unemployment insurance benefits extension lapse. Do some research – it's actually embarrassing to read your post.

Vote for the candidate you feel would best represent the way that you would like our country to be run, but for the love of GOD, do it while simultaneously being armed with plenty of KNOWLEDGE about both sides. You can't just spout off a bunch of random points that you heard on Fox News (or even CNN) and think you have all of the facts.

April 13, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  22. David

Adrian, ALL times. Principals don't discriminate based on dates. Principals are principles. For example, no matter what cetury it is, murder is wrong. No matter what century it is, freedom is right.

April 13, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  23. Adam

Delguy – Agree that the Bush Administration had no business spending like they did, but that does not change or make right what the Obama Administration is doing. And for the record, Ron Paul was against all of the spending that was going on and the wars. He has not changed his tune.

April 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  24. Xavier

mat April 13th, 2010 3:39 am ET

this guy has lots of good ideas...too bad he insists on keeping that GOP label.

Mat, I agree with you that it would be wonderful if Ron Paul could run independently of either party, however, in the current political climate it is not YET possible to actually win big elections as an independent, so Ron Paul’s choice to run for the GOP ticket is the logical, and unfortunate choice he must choose to have a shot at the presidency.
    I for one will be voting for Ron Paul 100% IF he wins the GOP ticket, which i dearly hope for. If he does not win and runs as an independent, I wont throw my vote away, and will vote for Romney, if it is him, if its Palin, oh god i hope its not Palin.

April 13, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  25. gunlock

Ron Paul is my hero

April 13, 2010 at 3:55 pm |
  26. Melissa

Mike, keep asking and hopeing thats all you have!!! If your countin on Ron!!!

April 13, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  27. Melissa

I am so disgusted, from seeing a woman carrying a monkey around on her shoulder last night at the tea party, Ron take a pay cut!!! Help the unemployed, I sure hope your not helping the teabaggers buy monkeys!!!!! I wouldnt doubt it though!!!

April 13, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  28. John

That's what I'm talking about, G Bush told me a 757 hit the Pentagon, then vaporized, just like on Star Trek.

April 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  29. Mike

Keep speaking the truth Ron
    Restore the Republic
    2012

April 13, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
  30. Delguy

This is why I watch hardly any news shows any more. The 2 anchors had Mr. Paul ,who I don't agree with , but seems very sincere and honest right there. My question. Mr. Paul ,you say the teapartiers want less government and to pay down the debt. Where were they for the last 8 years when George W. Bush and Dick Cheyney ran up huge deficits but instituting huge tax cuts for the rich and starting 2 wars without paying for either of them! I'm waiting for anyone on any news show to ask this question!

April 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  31. Adrian Snare

Akston, as to policing the world, I am vehemently against this.
    Invading, even under the guise of decency ,Iraq and Afghanistan was not a good idea.
    We must learn to respect other nations, even is they do not merit this.. We must learn to leave them alone, even as corrupt and hateful as they are.
    This is the job for the UN, and time..
    Lets these "nations", Iran, Iraq, N Korea, Afghanistan fester in the 16th century..
    Lets not add our nation to this list.
    We do not need a Ron Paul or a Palin or any Tea Bagger.
    We must advance, not regress.

April 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  32. Leo

If Ron runs in 2012, he gets my support.

April 13, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  33. Dennis Pence

Barb Haskell

Ms. Haskell – I too, am in my elderly years and I don't count on the government for much of anything. That, I believe, is your first mistake – or maybe it was not preparing for your elderly years. Extending unemployment benefits is welfare and God knows we have enough government giveaways already. I am not a Republican or a Liberal – I am, however, a staunch Conservative. If you want to give your life and the responsibility of caring for you to an inept, incompetent, greedy, ignorant government – be my guest. Just remember – the government can't give anything away they haven't first taken from someone else – and that someone else is the American people (at least the ones that are trying to ba accountable for their lives and actions).

April 13, 2010 at 12:36 pm |
  34. blegs38552

floridanative – Health Care? Yeah that needed to be fixed immediately, NOT!

Is it fair to assume that you have health coverage, either through your employer or medicare/medicaid?

Otherwise, I doubt that you would have made this above statement.

April 13, 2010 at 11:56 am |
  35. Tony

I think it would be a great thing for the nation to elect someone that isn't a Dem or a Rep. Currently, with only 2 parties, it is more advantagous to tear down your opponent than it is to try and build yourself up. Why run on your own values when it is so easy to say what the other guy did wrong?

If Ron Paul declared himself independant and got in there in 2012 then when 2016 rolls around both Reps and Dems would need to show how they are better, start standing "for" something instead of "against" the other guy.

April 13, 2010 at 10:58 am |
  36. Chris

I would like to see Ron Paul as the GOP candidate in 2012 & choose a like minded Democrat running mate. Party politics is the real problem. We need to show them the American people should be their focus not what party they’re in. Let’s see the politicians scramble on that one. I’m sure we would hear a lot of “You can’t do that” & “That’s not fair”. Washington is the largest elementary school play ground in the world

April 13, 2010 at 10:45 am |
  37. john

So far I do trust the President which is alot more than I can say for Bush, the one who told me a 757 airliner vaporized at the Pentagon nine years ago. That building has about 100 video cameras focus on it and I get to see a two second video of the "plane" smashing into it. There's something wrong with this country in case you didn't notice.
    When I pay my taxes I'm supporting the goverment. I do NOT support the theory a plane hit the Pentagon on the 9/11, I was cheated and almost 3K people in New York were cheated also. I would say it has to do something with money. I'm at a point where I have a very hard time paying my taxes, I just don't feel right about it. I hope Mr. Paul can help. Thanks for your ears.

April 13, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  38. JCJess77

So why didn't any of you support him in the last election? I mean, you all know everything, right?

April 13, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  39. zzmook

Yep, when all else fails go Libertarian. Next up on the ballot – keep funding roads or alert the automakers that we'll need more SUVs? Also, do we bring the troops home or let them know that their services are no longer required and just fire them in country? Good luck getting back from Kandahar, kids.

April 13, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  40. The_Mick

The supporters of Ron Paul never seem to be able to back up their support of him with any references that show his positions are valid. They seem to like shiny, catchy phrases like, "Bring back the Gold Standard!"

They claim it will "stop inflation" – as if that's a problem and as if it stopped inflation when it was last in effect. Of course, researching that is too much to expect!

At the end of the 1800's, many pushed for a "Bimetal Standard" because the Gold Standard limited the money supply so much it stifled commerce. If you reinstated it right now, the economy of the USA would quickly resemble that of Mexico.

Paul is so far behind the times that Democrat or GOP, he would find himself unable to work with Congress.

April 13, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  41. Charlie

So are there any volunteers to prosecute the previous administration for the problems that we have currently. Sorry, I forgot they were all republicans. That's right it's all about the problems that President Obama is supposed to be making. What an insanely immoral country we live in! We always blame the people who follow the people who made it horrible for us all.

April 13, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  42. Asten

Well its a good thing that he ain't going to be president 🙂 Cause otherwise the Dems would lose an excuse to call the GOP morons and bimbos. Let see if he can even win a presidential primary

April 13, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  43. Barb Haskell

Talk about the Republican party...I know people who have been watching this extension of unemployment benefits and it was awful to see the Republican party's vote late yesterday. I have been a Republican all my life, but I am really doubting it now. In tough times...they are still playing games. I commend the 4 republicans to vote yes to move the 4851 forward. I am definitely changing my feelings about parties. Sad when my "elderly years" approach to see them fail to help people in need. People who have been working individual all their lives. So Senator McCain...I watched you say no to moving the bill forward. Sad

April 13, 2010 at 7:29 am |
  44. Charles

Ron Paul is the only legitimate candidate here, regardless of the GOP tag. Liberals are just PRAYING the GOP is dumb enough to put Palin or Gingrich up for a national vote in 2012. The first has never finished an appointed job in her life (and confirms she's a simpleton every time she opens her mouth), and the second lost any chance after the second (third?) time he slept around while married.

Paul has long been a rational voice of limited government, both in the financial and social realms. I agree with previous comments: Ron Paul, if fiscally possible, should ditch the sinking GOP ship and run without any party affiliation. He'd find a lot of votes on both sides, if given the chance to have his voice loudly heard.

Sadly, the way our electoral process works, that may not be possible for any candidate.

April 13, 2010 at 6:37 am |
  45. Wendy

Thank God the Republicans finally made it to New Orleans-where have they been for the past 5 years????

April 13, 2010 at 6:10 am |
  46. mat

this guy has lots of good ideas...too bad he insists on keeping that GOP label.

April 13, 2010 at 3:39 am |
  47. Kyle

Ron Paul for President. He's someone who can put the pieces back together after the Democrat vs Republican war. I'm sure, somehow, Roland Martin considers me a terrorist for saying this.

April 13, 2010 at 3:24 am |
  48. Eric Lanz

Ron, speak to the question. This is the worst interview I've ever seen with you. You are starting to speak like a politician.

April 13, 2010 at 2:24 am |
  49. Terry W. Brookman

Ron Paul should be president today, his view on ending the fed which is a private bank owned by the Bank of England and the Chase Manhattan put him out of the race. His view on the war did not make him any friends in his own party If you do not believe that then Google, who owns the Fed.

April 13, 2010 at 12:53 am |
  50. FloridaNative

Ron Paul you have my full attention and my vote 2012! Thank you for helping some of us believe in our country America!

April 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  51. FloridaNative

Adrian Snare – I can tell your smart? In a dumb way of course. This is the only man that can save this country that is failing all the American people. Health Care? Yeah that needed to be fixed immediately, NOT!

Why not try saving families homes? Obama saved his corporations with billions Fannie Mae – Freddie MAC

Hey maybe make some jobs? Oh yeah America does not need them either. .

Let unemployment money run out? Great idea. Let's make these criminals run around and commit more crimes. . America's Goverment does not have to worry about that they have security to protect them. . .

Hey why don't we just keep paying taxes on our labor and everything else we do, own a home, drive my car, hell why don't I just give everything to my Goverment and work for FREE just sign my check on over. . .

April 12, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  52. Akston

How about the 21st century? That's the one were the federal government is $14 trillion in debt, yet still spends on massive new entitlements and tries to police the world as if it was still in the cold war of the 20th century.

April 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  53. Akston

How about the 21st? That's the one where we're 14 trillion in debt, yet still spend on massive new entitlements and policing the entire world as if it were the 20th century.

April 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  54. Matt

Good for Ron. He's the only Republican who actually seems to understand the concept of limited constitutional government. If the Tea Partiers actually wanted to stand up for their beliefs (which seem to be limited government, though they don't have an actual platform), they would choose him as their representative, instead of letting the same old characters (Republicans) hijack their cause for fear of letting the Tea Party split the Republican vote. As for Palin, she's just a moron who has no business being in public life.

April 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  55. Adrian Snare

Ron Paul, in which century do you think we should be living?
    The 17th or the 18th?