American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 13th, 2010

LIVE Blog: Chat with us during the show

Editor's Note: Welcome to American Morning's LIVE Blog where you can discuss the "most news in the morning" with us each and every day. Join the live chat during the program by adding your comments below. It's your chance to share your thoughts on the day's headlines. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules: 1) Keep it brief 2) No writing in ALL CAPS 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (that includes $#&*).

China rising: Is China changing business?

(CNN) – Before the turn of the century, it was considered a "no brainer" for U.S. businesses: you had to be in China.

Fast forward ten years and you have to ask the question, "has China been good or bad for America?" This week in our original series "China Rising," we're assessing China's economic impact on the United States.

Today on American Morning, Christine Romans examines how China has changed American businesses. One look at your dinner table will tell you everything you need to know.

To spank or not to spank?

A Tulane University study of nearly 2,500 kids found those who were spanked more at 3-years-old were 50 percent more likely to be defiant, have temper tantrums and hit other kids by 5-years-old.

Some say the evidence is stronger than ever against corporal punishment.

Today, the co-author of the study joins us to explain why spanking can lead to other problems as well.

Sound off: We want to hear from you this morning. Add your comments to the LIVE blog below and we'll read some of them on the show.

Filed under: LIVE Blog • Top Stories
  1. American Morning

Thanks for all the great comments everyone, we read a bunch on the show. See you again tomorrow!

April 13, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  2. Kurt l. Johnson, LCSW

To spank, or not is much too simplistic. Children have widely different psychological make-ups. Discipline is entirely different than punishment. Discipline is based in teaching and learning. Some children respond appropriately to a frank discussion regarding behavioral boundaries, some don't. As a mental health professional, I firmly believe that spanking can be a secondary part of a learning process in young children. But, the process must start with other options, such as time-outs, discussions as to right and wrong, and alternative behaviors. Spanking must certainly never be a first option; when anger on either side is active or part of the process.

April 13, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  3. Cindy

I was spanked as a child, and I have spanked my own children. All of my children are successful and productive people, who have never used drugs, drank or been involved in any type of criminal activity. Many of their un-spanked peers have been. My children are highly motivated, self-confident, decent and happy people. My eldest is in law school, I have a senior in college and I have a sophomore in college. My family is of Caribbean descent and we believe in spankings. I believe that a child shoud be disciplined so that they learn that there are consequences for their actions. Spanking should be accompanied by an explanation with regard to what the child did that was unacceptable. The explanation should be reasonable and valid, and spanking should never be abusive. The times I did spank my children, it truly hurt me as much as, if not more, than it hurt them. By the way, I have an excellent relationship with my children today. They constantly call or visit and seek my advice. So, when children know they are truly loved, they trust that the spanking is ultimately for their own good, so that they can become better people.

April 13, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  4. Ken Middleton

That suppose expert on child behaviors needs a reality check . There is nothing wrong with a lil swap on the butt from time to time. Parents needs to experiment, different kids requires different forms of punishments to correct their behavior. Some a swap, others time out, others take away a favorite item, others a verbal reprimand . She over simplify kids and their characters. Parents should not be put in a box and eliminate a form of punishment that the Bible said works. The problem I have with experts like this , is they and many in our society , say , “no physical punishment“, but then as soon as kids turn 18 yrs old . “Hey, Uncle Sam wants you! Join the military, Here, take this gun and kill someone.” People like this expert need to wake up & see the real world. If parents don’t consider all forms of correction, when the kids become an adult and break the law the police will not hesitate to use all forms of punishment, including beatings.

April 13, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  5. Era Boyd

Good morning,
    I disagree with the study on not to spank.My mom and dad raised 13 childred. We were spanked, we were also mannerable, obediant,. We had love and respect for all humans, we were taught compassion, love of god.

We are now in our sixty's, and no one has ever been to jail, we have decent jobs. We have two lost generation in our society, Why?

Because the government stepped in and said spanking was child abuse,and a parent could go to jail.I believe it was all designed, look at our childred, and look at the prisons. ummmmm makes you wonder

April 13, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  6. Clark

To the more important issue of the two subjects. China is bad for business and everything else for that matter. Outsourced jobs are bad for our country and to put it simply when did quantity outpace quality? we need to rethink our power as civilian consumers and use that power to influence businesses and help our country and ourselves.

April 13, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  7. Loralie

As a new adult of 18 since September, it wasn't too many years ago I was spanked myself. My parent's spanking me did not lead me to tantrums or violent tendencies, as much as I obviously hated being spanked, it did teach me what I was doing was wrong.
    A perfect example is, my friend's mom, does not spank her, and never has. On the other hand though, her step-father did. My friend's behavior towards her mom and her step dad is VERY different. She tends to "speak down" to her mom and not abide her rules but when it comes to her step dad, she is always ontime, always respectful and always follows through with the responsibilites given to her.
    I think one of the main problems going today, is blaming everything on the parents. Nowadays everything a child does as an adult, is blamed on the way the parents brought him up, which is completley absurd. I could have never been spanked in my life, and still been violent or disrespectful. As children, we are VERY impressionable, so it isn't only our parents that influence us, but our teachers and such as well. Personally most of the violence I learned about or picked up on was at school but even then it was MY decision to decide wether that was right or wrong.
    So all in all, I do NOT think spanking your kids makes any differance to whether they will be violent or not. If anything, kids remember and take influence from the things their parents SAY, not from being spanked.
    I don't know, but when I am being spanked, I am thinking, I am never doing this again, not getting ready to lash out at others, when I hit 4 or 5.

April 13, 2010 at 8:54 am |