American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 21st, 2010

'South Park' creators threatened for Mohammed portrayal

(CNN) – For years, the show "South Park" has made fun of things usually too controversial to target – religion, in particular. Jews, Catholics, Mormons, Scientologists, Hindus, Buddhists; no one is safe.

In last week's episode, the world's biggest religious figures came together, including the Muslim prophet, Mohammed. To poke fun at censorship guidelines against showing him, Mohammed was first kept inside of a moving truck and then he wore a bear costume.

One extremist Muslim group has responded, warning the show's creators, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, that they will probably end up dead. Does that go too far or is the warning protected by free speech? Our Drew Griffin with the Special Investigations Unit has the report.

Filed under: Controversy
  1. marco garza

What a bunch of cry babies lol who cares its comedy! It was an awesome episode!!!!!! Cant wait for more! lol they act as if they are terrorised by getting pick on bahahahaha like a bunch of Jr high students

April 24, 2010 at 3:46 am |
  2. Anthony

Free speech is clearly stated in the first amendement of the bill of rights in the Constitiution of the United States. I know government agencys and media outlets neglect to follow these plainly listed freedoms at times. But it just sickens me when these freedoms are trampled on for a small extremist group that wish our great country harm.

April 23, 2010 at 7:15 am |
  3. Allan

Certain so-called "conservative" commentators on radio and one particular cable "news" network are well-known for their inflammatory and usually heavily-embellished speech regarding Democrats and particularly President Obama.

If they insist on inciting violence, it's too bad they don't focus on people like Younes Abdullah Mohammed and his cohorts on the Revolution Muslim website who are carefully using America's freedom of speech against us... people who are TRULY the enemy within.

Don't get me wrong, i do NOT condemn ALL Muslims any more than I condone the radical Christians who WOULD condemn all Muslims.

Radicals of ANY sort scare me... like the so-called "OathTakers" who are accepting much of the crap they hear from the afore-mentioned commentators and cable "news" network as fact instead of the lies and innuendo those sources spew..

April 22, 2010 at 1:28 am |
  4. Clarissa Stewart

We should be asking ourselves the following: Does
    the US Constitution protect hate mongering, inciting to violence
    and threatening? If not, why do we continue to even consider
    bending the laws to suit Muslims, who are enjoying freedoms
    in the United States they would never enjoy in Muslim countries.
    Does the word treason ever surface anymore in relation to
    preaching hatred against the US in general? Are non-
    Muslims allowed to dictate laws to citizens in Muslim countires?
    Were Nazi's allowed to openly threaten non-Nazi's inside the US during WW2? Why do we allow this in the US when we are clearly
    at war with Muslim extremism? "One, two, three, four, what are
    we fighting for?"

April 21, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  5. suecarole volovsek

If anyone is an avowed enemy of my country and countrymen, why is that person or that leader still allowed to live in my country or even visit? If one believes that the United States of America is 'evil' and that person vows to follow his belief system's law to "terrorize" me, along with all US citizens, that seems to me reason enough to escort that person OUT of my country and prevent them from returning. Do we deport illegal aliens? Can't we deport our sworn enemies?

April 21, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  6. Peter Bojinov

If someone offend me, I will ask for excuse, or ask for help from low enforcement authorities, or I will sue him/her/them. That is my civilized way, but I will never chase for a revenge. It is my right to ask everybody in the US follow this pattern, because that make me fill safe and free. If someone want to do it its own way I think he or she should be forced to leave the USA, I do not care if that is because of his or her religion – that is the way it is.
    I think all this Islamic extremists, should be forced to leave the USA. I don't think the Islam should be out of the US but for the extremists it is mandatory.

April 21, 2010 at 9:52 am |