American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 2nd, 2010

Morgan Freeman explores science, faith in new TV series

(CNN) – Morgan Freeman has played God in films before, but a new role has him asking – is there a God? And what exactly does that mean? The Academy-Award winning actor is executive producer, host and narrator for a new series on the Science Channel, called "Through the Wormhole." He joined us on Wednesday's American Morning to tell us what inspired the project.

Filed under: Entertainment
  1. Donna

After listening to an interview with Morgan Freeman it got me to wondering if he has read "A "Course in Miracles" or Tolle's book "The Power of Now," He stated he believed that he and all of us are God.
    He thought it sounded arrogant but not when he includes all of us.

June 5, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  2. George and Susan Field

We admire Mr. Freeman as an actor, and from this clip. it appears that he is a philosopher too, He has an open mind, and that is in short supply. As an astronomer and his wife, we agree with most of what he said. The issue, to be sure, is faith. We scientists have faith in the so called scientific method, which in simple terms is testing propositions against experience. Of course our individual experience is limited, so we end up accepting what scientists find, unless we find evidence to the contrary. So that means that God is a hypothesis, which we can entertain or not as we wish, but so far there is no experimental proof of her existence or nonexistence. Some day, there might be convincing evidence one way or another. In the meantime we think we should be tolerant of all beliefs as long as they don't harm others.

June 4, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
  3. Justin

my class and i met him after this interview 😉

June 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  4. ronvan

I cannot wait to see this one! Mr. Freeman is a superb actor with a "voice" to lisen to. However, I do not think this will, or should, get people "excited or upset". The Da Vinci Code, for me, was an excellent "movie", and while I can think about its message in reality it did not change my beliefs! ALL of us are raised with our own history and beliefs, from parents & grandparents, etc.. Some good, some bad. The key word here is Belief. If you believe then unless someone can show "proof positive" that it is false then you will continue to believe! Personally, I do not think ANYONE will find any proof on this subject other than what we, and I believe to be the "spoken word".

June 3, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  5. Spencer J. Atkinson, PFTLD

To John Roberts and Kiran Chetry:
    I saw your interview on American Morning, which aired on June 2, 2010. I have been trying to contract Morgan Freeman concerning a discovery I've made which deals with the connection between science and faith. I've been unsuccessful in my efforts to correspond with Mr. Freeman, therefore, I am sending you a brief on my discovery in the hope that somehow you will make Mr. Freeman and anyone else you choose aware of it. I will be sending the brief by mail; I hope it reaches you.

June 3, 2010 at 6:12 am |
  6. crsamas2002

Yes I think Morgan Freeman's comments on how to figure out to deal with the oil leak are true as it appears that there has never been such a massive oil spill /leak. People will need to share ideas on how to stop the leak.

June 2, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  7. Rico Elias

This is a project Im excited about. The only thing that would bring me more joy would be if I narrated it.

June 2, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  8. Bret Piontek

Freeman is approaching this topic from a default position that a god exists, and until proven otherwise stands by this claim.

For any claim of existence (whether it be god, the Easter Bunny, or an honest politician), the burden of proof falls on the person making the claim. The default position should be that such a being is not known to exist, unless sufficient evidence is presented.

Most adults don't believe in Santa Claus, because they would require proof of his existence, despite the fact that his image is plastered all over the place during the holidays and that millions of children believe he's real. We don't automatically assume he exists, until proven otherwise. The same approach should be taken with a supernatural claim of existence.

Hearsay, personal testimony, and other unscientific methods do not strengthen the argument, except for those who choose to believe such claims.

If Freeman wants to tackle this topic scientifically, the default view must be skeptical.

June 2, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  9. Reggie523

I heard Mr Freeman recently on NPR great interview.

June 2, 2010 at 3:56 pm |