American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 3rd, 2010

Group helps women become trades-women

(CNN) – This week, we're taking a special look at how women are making it "in a man's world." Construction may be largely a male domain, but women are making their mark in the building and construction trades – their hard hats breaking through the glass ceiling. Our Deb Feyerick reports for part three of our AM original series, "Making it in a Man's World."

1. Rochelle

You Go Alex! Its women like you that help other women make a decisionto get into the trades...keep up the great work! You're a WINNER!

June 8, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  2. Rochelle

way to go Alex! its women like you that help women make a decisoin to enter the trades..keep up the great work !

June 8, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  3. Adella

I'm a recent NEW graduate! It was the best 6 1/2 weeks of my life. My goal is to become an Electrican. The NEW training program is hard, but it's worth it. In the end, you will definitely feel a sense of empowerment and self esteem.

June 7, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  4. Kristi L. Wineland

I personally can say it is very difficult to get respect in a working man's world. I worked for 15 year in underground water utility construction. It took aprrox. 10 years before I was half way accepted. One man told me once and I quote, "God only created man, he cut the dicks off the dumb ones." I have at least 10 years of journals that I wrote and some day hope to write a book. I can't do the skilled laborering or heavy equipment operator jobs anymore, so I am currently studying on-line for an assoc. degree in business management and writing. I certainly could tell you more about working in a man's world, as I was the only female to last more than 2 years including female truck drivers. That is out in the field of course. I am looking forward to your show.

June 7, 2010 at 7:25 am |
  5. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Nice to see the females take to the field that the males have trashed for so very very long....go girls....

June 4, 2010 at 4:05 am |
  6. Brooke Eimers

How does the group that trains the women recruit females and fund the program?

June 3, 2010 at 5:35 pm |