American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 29th, 2010

Is college worth the cost?

(CNN) – Is college really worth the cost? Payscale.com has released a report that looks at the return on investment students can expect from their college education. Our Christine Romans has the report.

Payscale.com: Which Colleges Are Worth Your Investment?

Filed under: Business • Education
  1. Amanda R

John Ahlstand: While you are correct that many people around the world are still experiencing bad financial times, I don't believe C. Romans is clueless or out of touch as you were saying. The new iPhone 4 has sold out EVERYWHERE. Some places even had waitlists for the phone and had to shut them down after a single day because they filled up so quickly. She's not out of touch– just stating the facts. Don't get your feelings on your sleeves!

July 2, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  2. Meghan R.

It would be interesting to include 'on line education' it's a growing trend that I feel is diminishing the value of education and creating a population with higher degrees and lower education.

June 30, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  3. Mike M.

With good research, there are a plethora of grants available for near free college. There is no excuse for NOT having a degree. Or is the excuse for not having a degree because you didn't aquire precisely the job you hoped for? Welcome to the real America, it's not your fault.

June 30, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  4. John Ahlstrand

This is not related to this story but about the clueless reporter C Romans. Yesterdays AM she was talking about the new Iphone and said that now that the recession was over people wanted to spend money on cool things like that. How out of touch are you people with your fat paychecks, living the life, and not worrying about what is really going out here? Nothing wrong with enjoying what you have worked for. I applaud that. But there are still millions of people out of work and don't have the luxury of buying new toys. Thanks for the sensitive reporting.

June 30, 2010 at 7:05 am |
  5. samuel ogala

if u tink its costly, try illetracy

June 29, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  6. James

Are you serious, CNN?
    You cannot put a price on education in this way.
    You are right that families need to consider what they can afford
    because this is a real issue, but you shouldn't be judging education
    on the basis of how much money one will be making after graduation.
    I'm glad you have raised the issue of rising costs of higher education,
    but you should emphasize that higher education is now a necessity,
    just as high school has become a necessity in the past few decades.

June 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  7. Don

I found this information intriguing. Could CNN do a similar report revealing the unemployment rate for people currently holding a masters degree (or above) and the ROI for the nations top masters programs?

June 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  8. unemployed college graduate

I know for a fact there there are more than 4.7% of college grads are unemployed. As usual the truth is masked under those that are "underemployed" or "temp jobs." Right now it's not worth it to go to college unless your parents pay for it.

However, there are many benefits education gives you that goes beyond a job. For example, my English degree helps me see the lies in reports like this one.

June 29, 2010 at 11:08 am |
  9. Dean

Payscale.com obviously didn't do a very comprehensive survey. To some, college is totally NOT worth the cost, at least not right now. Take my situation, I am a 31 year old Anesthetic Device Technician who makes roughly $36,000/year. My school loans total just over $41,000. You add in a car payment, mortgage payment, car insurance, etc., etc., etc. that degree I hung on my wall and was proud of for about a week now seems like the biggest mistake of my life. All I did was add $303 per month in bills with no additional income to cover this, and no better career prospects than when I entered school.

What should've happened when the government was just handing out checks to big corporations so rich people could remain rich, would've been to forgive all up to date student loans. The very least they (the government) could've done was to thoroughly restructure everyone's loans to make them work in the borrower's favor. I have one loan that I have been paying on since 1999, guess how much of that $103 payment goes to the principle... $42. Oh, and this loan is a Federal loan. Don't I already give the Feds 26% of my EARNED money twice a month?

Regular, every day people in America getting raped by their own government... It's a shame and it will always be like this. Guess all that Hope and Change stuff was more of the same, just from a different party.

June 29, 2010 at 8:18 am |
  10. CarolB

how do I get a copy of information you shared on CNN's morning edition
    today, 6.29.10? such as what your $$ benefit would be from attending MIT?

June 29, 2010 at 8:08 am |