American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 7th, 2010

Next step for foster kids 'aging out' of system

(CNN) – California's massive budget cuts have taken a heavy toll on some of its most needy kids. Yesterday, we introduced you to Carla, a foster teen about to be "emancipated" from child services. Where does she go from here? Our Thelma Gutierrez has her story. Watch Video

Related: Teens aging out of foster care have no homes, no jobs | The Teen Project

Filed under: Living • U.S.
  1. Lauri

Thank you for your comments.

Carla is.a wonderful young lady and this great report has brought about a slew of donations that will pay off the house for these young ladies and will live on to help thousands more.

All of the girls in the house are pursuing college.

One is pre-med and works in the ER, another is pursuing her teaching credentials, the third is an amazing artist – supported by Bruce Willis to go to Fashion School, the last is a machinist – designing aircraft.

And me, well – I am an author, a corporate exective at a fortune 100 comany and a foster mom to 25 kids.

I am raising these girls up to be powerful young ladies. Thank you for your support!

Our website is http://www.theteenproject.com – and my book is Punished for Purpose. You can find it on Amazon or get a signed copy at http://www.punishedforpurpose.com

Be the change you want to see in the world!

Lauri

July 8, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  2. Erika

I think it's good somebody in need can get some help but my situation is a lot different and much more serious and I can't get help I have provided a home for my mother who is 70 a 2 time cancer survivor and have other health problems for the last 16 years I loss my job 5 years ago worked several jobs since to struggle I recently start receiving a small retirement disability pension from that job which I should have received 5 years ago and we are about to lose our home. I had to refinace prior to filing chapter 13 to save my home my mortgage companies lawyer in March sent a seek to release I now have to pay the $1200 and a extra $1000 a month for six months for a payment they say then didn't receive in 2008 and in 2009 I was sick and missed 2 payments this is the third month of arrangement and we didn't make the deadline last month and the 15th is around the corner family and friends have donated we had yard sales and we still don't have enough money we are going to be on the street any day now once we are notified of default by mortgage company no organization have funds or resources to help since they are non-profit they don't help individual people and they can't help with fundraisers with both incomes we are barely above the income limit to receive help from Social Services. I have worked all my life and my mother have to.

July 8, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  3. Nelia Barrera

Hello. Does anybody know how to find this Project Teen Project? I have called CNN , called Information for the Project and conducted a Search and to No Avail. Please post how to find this Project . Thank you.

July 8, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  4. cindy bucek

I was in the same situation from 12-16 in Houston at Faith home, lucky for me I started beauty College in the 9th grade and became a successful hairdresser at the age of 17. I was fortunate to get a free scholarship to go. There is help for these kids

July 7, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  5. Tina

Can Carla not get a scholarship somewhere and live in the dorms? School seems to be the answer to her struggles. Also, she can help others in situations like this. Good luck and God Bless!

July 7, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  6. DeidreHall

This story disgusts me...but only in the view that this 18 year old girl refuses to help herself but expects someone to do it for her. I am 48 years old.....beaten physically, sexually, emotionally and mentally by my parents until I was 17, then sent to the streets once taken out of the house by social services. No one and I repeat....no one was there for me. I ended up a drunk and on drugs and in prison. At my age today, I am still feeling like a child needing her mom, but cannot do anything about it except to give my child what I never had. This 18 year old is healthy and young enough to get a job to support herself and all the boo hooing of "I just don't know what to do and how to support myself"...a big F U on that one girl. My daughters have been working since they were 15 earning a living. They didn't finish school and went back in their early twenties to do so...but on their own without anyones help. Seriously if I see another story about the boo hoos of healthy normal teens...I am going to puke then go on video you tube to discuss the pure laziness of teens. Ridiculous. Purely a ridiculous story. Make her watch programs of the women in Iran.....

July 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
  7. laf

Well, she could join the military like a lot of us did

July 7, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  8. Sam

I am a product of foster care and I have little to no sympathy for the young lady. As you approach the breaking off time you should have enough sense to be making plans ahead of time. I did, my alternative was to join the military (for 4 years) get a skill and use the GI bill to attend college. That doesn't mean everybody should follow my path, create your own path. She should get rid of that stupid stud in her mouth, she looks like an idiot with it in there. Stop thinking the government or the courts have to solve problems that you need to do your self.

July 7, 2010 at 12:04 pm |