American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
December 3rd, 2010

Losing Lennon: How Julian Lennon dealt with father's murder

All this week we’ve been previewing a CNN documentary this weekend on the death of John Lennon. It’ll be 30 years on Wednesday since he was murdered by Mark David Chapman.

Today, John Roberts talks to his son Julian Lennon about what it was like learning his father had died.

Be sure to catch the full documentary,” Losing Lennon: Countdown to Murder,” premiering Saturday and Sunday night at 8 ET on CNN.

Filed under: American Morning • Environment • Pop Culture
  1. Diane

Gee, didn't he like die around this time.. And yet people just can't resist to try to garner some attention from his passing instead of trying to share his message. Who is running this place, Marque de Sade?

December 5, 2010 at 12:47 am |
  2. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

I also remember when I heard the news of his assassination. I was very sad because I LOVED THE BEATLES. I am 62 years old; I remember their introduction to AMERICA very well. Their music was full of gaiety, and love; especially love of mankind and the world. I think of THE LATE JOHN LENNON in spirit. He was a good and beautiful spirit. The world lost an icon when it lost JOHN. I place him right up there with the LATE MICHAEL JACKSON, because they were of the same heart and spirit. MAY THEY REST IN PEACE!

December 4, 2010 at 9:57 pm |
  3. Éireann

I too recall the day Lennon was shot as if it was just yesterday,I had been mucking around in the garden when suddenly the song ironically playing at the time (Another One Bites The Dust ~ Queen) was interuppted and how Lennon has just been murdered,not too long later then Julian came out with his 1st ablum (Valotte) and I feel he is just as good a singer if not better than his dad,I feel bad tho he was abandoned by JL,I know the feeling and can relate!

December 4, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
  4. Sally

I remember hearing about his death. I was about to turn 16 years old and was devastated that someone would murder John Lennon. I couldn't grasp why anyone would want to kill him. Julian Lennon is a remarkable man with a lot of his father's compassion and attitude towards peace. It's a shame they weren't able to grow with each other as adults. I'm certain John would be proud of his elder son.

December 4, 2010 at 12:13 am |
  5. chiz thomson

no. never release him.he just took out someone that we all have inner feelings about. too short a life.

December 3, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  6. Larry Penna

Very Sad !! My Heart Goes Out 2 Julian & I Admire Him 4 The Way He Answered The Final Question !! LOVE&PEACE, Larry Penna

December 3, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  7. Glenn

His comments about Chapman were well-stated...Unfortunately we all must deal with loss....The pain never goes away.....It is a shame that they didn't have more of a closeness during Julian's youth....John will forever live on through his music & his spirit.

December 3, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  8. Glenn Romano

His comments about Chapman were well-stated...Unfortunately we all must deal with loss.....The pain never goes away....It is a shame that they didn't have more of a closeness during Julian's younger years.....John will forever live on through his music & his spirit.

December 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  9. Barbara Petty

I too, remember the day of Lennon's death. It ranks right up there with the deaths of the two Kennedy's in terms of impacting my life. I think Julian, and I have seen other clips of him talking about reuniting with Yoko, has a great heart and is full of compassion. I find him to be inspirational for how we should lead our lives. I think John missed out by not making more of an effort to spend more time with Julian growing up.

December 3, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  10. Lois

I remember that day as if it were yesterday...devastating, as John has always been my "favorite Beatle." Despite the great losses in his life, Julian seems quite well-adjusted. His mature, reflective comments in this clip were heartwarming to me. John would be so proud!

December 3, 2010 at 9:32 am |