American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
January 11th, 2011

There 'weren't two sides' to autism-vaccine link debate, author says

Author Seth Mnookin says the medical community has seen alot of precious time wasted that could have been devoted to researching the cause of autism. Instead, he says, the debate about whether autism was linked to childhood vaccines filled the airwaves for years– a debate, Mnookin says, that didn't really have two sides.

CNN's T.J. Holmes spoke with Seth Mnookin this morning. Hear what Mnookin told T.J. he has "no problem saying" to parents.

Filed under: Health
  1. Erwin Alber

Mnookin is either misguided, or in the pay of Big Pharma. There is clear evidence that vaccination is the leading cause of autism, though not the only one.

Big Pharma is desperate to detract parents' attention from the crime committed against our children under the guise of "disease prevention".

This issue will however not go away, because it is far bigger than MMR or Dr Wakefield, although he deserves the credit for doing honest research, for publishing his findings and for suggesting that further research needs to be done.

The "research" that found "no link" is tobacco science. Why have NO studies to compare the incidence of autism in vaccinated children vs that in unvaccinated children ever been done? The answer is very obvious.

January 19, 2011 at 3:31 am |
  2. D

That makes me very sad that many parents of children with autism believe this fraudulent doctor and his research. There have NEVER been any studies (other than Wakefield's) that support the theory that the MMR vaccine causes Autism. Autistic characteristics tend to develop at the same time that most toddlers are given the MMR vaccine, a coincidence, not a cause-effect relationship. It is easier for some parents to place blame on a vaccine than to not have an explanation for such drastic, heartbreaking changes in their child.

January 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  3. Liz

EH If you read his book you'd realize that he sympathizes with you, but your emotion does not make false beliefs any more true.

Vaccinations do not cause MMR. It has been proven. You and Maurine are wrong.

Skipping vaccines does cause disease and childhood deaths. That has been proven.

Those who choose not to vaccinate are selfish. They are counting on others vaccinating their kids to protect their own precious children based on false beliefs.

You would rather see children die of measles, HiB and other diseases then to rationally question your own prejudices.

That doesn't just make you stupid, it makes you a bad person.

January 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  4. Ralph Allen Beach

To EVERYONE in America...

I am not President of the US yet and I am in the process of getting my name on the Ballot...Obama needs to do his job and stop saying he will help Haiti and just do it! If I were the President I would have been in Haiti when the quake happened helping. What Obama needs to do is send equipment, supplies, and people to haiti and preform a massive cleaning and rebuild of homes. If I had the funds available I would be there right now, but I don't so I can't.

To President Obama... Stop talking and put words into action, ok?

January 12, 2011 at 7:56 am |
  5. Maurine Meleck

CNN needs to know that what they are doing this week with the autism/vaccine controversy is not journalism. It's attempting to force one viewpoint(vaccines don't cause autism) down peoples' throat
    with false reports of Dr. Wakefield and books by Seth Mnookin that seek to promote the notion that there should be no discourse on the vaccine subject because he said so. Got news for you all-there are hundreds of thousands of us world wide that know what vaccines did to our children and we ain't going away.

January 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  6. bpatient

Tom Chivers of The Telegraph discussed the culpability of the media in disseminating the misinformation that fueled the panic:

“[A] media obsession with ‘balance’ is to blame. ‘Balance’ in this case means the giving of equal weight to two opposing opinions. This can work in political journalism, but when talking about medical and scientific issues it generally involves having one person who ‘agrees with the science’ – generally an expert in the field – and one who doesn’t, which depressingly often means a crackpot or a conspiracy theorist.”

January 11, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  7. E. H.

Yes Mr. Mnookin, one side, two sides, I couldn't care less. But it is people like you who make parents like me jump off a building. How dare you say
    affluent parents are to blame for questioning vaccines? Yes, I am desperate. Because right before my son turned 2, he got a double dose of the MMR vaccine. And we lost him. We are out of money, spent on proper schooling and therapy that the state does not care to contribute to. My husband recently lost his job and it just gets better doesn't it. I don't give a rat's a** about Jenny McCarthy and Amanda Peet's opinion. Or yours. I want someone with a brain to start writing about how there is NO plan to educate and rehabilitate children and adults with autism. That quite frankly, is what scares me.

January 11, 2011 at 12:06 pm |