American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
January 24th, 2011

Teachers grading...parents?

If parents thought they were finished getting report cards, they should think again.

Florida State Rep. Kelli Stargel wants teachers to grade parents on their performance. She's introducing a measure that would require elementary school teachers to grade the parents of their students based on their own communication with the school, their child's attendance, as well as their child's academic and physical preparedness for class. Based on these factors, parents would receive a grade of 'satisfactory', 'needs improvement' or 'unsatisfactory'.

State Rep. Stargel says grading parents would hold parents accountable but Steve Perry, CNN Education Contributor and Founder of Capital Preparatory Magnet School, says otherwise. Hear what Perry tells American Morning's T.J. Holmes.

Filed under: Education • Perry's Principles
  1. Allison

Before we assess parents on their skills, we need to educate them. Teachers facing evaluations and rewards or punishment based on student performance are also asking for more training since they're often told WHAT to do, but now HOW to do it.
    We need to provide training for some parent populations. Parents with little education themselves, those from different cultures, etc., are often unaware of the impact on students' school performance of factors such as the amount of sleep students get, nutrition, medical care, the importance of homework for practicing what is learned in class, students' self-discipline/respect/honesty/motivation to succeed (i.e., values), parent conferences, attendance, home literacy, parental communication with children, etc. etc. Too many factors impacting test scores are beyond the teacher's control.
    One question is whether parents who don't respond to teacher requests for conferences, show up to scheduled conferences, or read student report cards, will pay attention to to a parental report card...

January 28, 2011 at 8:08 am |
  2. Cynda

PAM S, dear, I respect your opinion so please respect mine as a parent without insulting me and another poster by portraying us as paranoid. You might find this next statement made by AN EXPECT interesting:
    Taken from CNN

Steve Perry, a CNN education contributor and founder of Capital Preparatory Magnet School in Hartford, Connecticut, says he couldn't disagree more.

Perry insists that a good education is based on what a child learns in the classroom and not what a parent might know that could help their child.

"There is nothing in any teacher's training that would put them in a position to be able to effectively judge the parenting of one their student's parents," Perry argued. "If getting a bad grade was the impetus for people doing things right, then I would have an entire school of kids getting A's.

January 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  3. Grading - ha!

Like another poster said, how about grading these politicians every year and pulling them out of the office if they fail to get simple majority?

January 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  4. Don't be fooled.

Kelli Stargel is not proposing this legislation to help teachers, she hates teachers. In fact, 3 years ago she proposed similar legislation to SB 6; i.e., merit pay based on FCAT, eliminating due process “tenure”, 3 year service contracts, etc. The legislation died on the floor and never made it to a vote, so no one heard much of it, but she was the bill’s sponsor. This new legislation is nothing more than another attempt to create a rift between teachers and parents meant to undermine public education.

January 25, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  5. C Matsumoto

Parents should also be allowed to grade teachers.

January 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
  6. debbie ann

I think this is a fabulous idea to rate the parents! As any educator and they will tell you that the main issue facing school children today is lack of parent support and involvement. Teachers are held accountable but parents aren't. BRING IT ON!!!

January 25, 2011 at 8:48 am |
  7. Amanda

I think this bill is a great idea. I don't really understand Mr. Perry's arguments against the bill. His arguments about not being able to teach your child chemistry aren't applicable. This article says elementary, but the bill is actually aimed at K-3, and parents should be able to help their kids at that age.

I feel like there is no way to make the teachers/school boards/union happy. When anyone tries to pass legislation to test the students in order to make sure we have good teachers they all balk and say "you can't hold us responsible when these kids come in hungry, dirty, tired and unprepared, we can only do so much". So here you have a Rep. trying to help you. Give you a way to have record of the parental involvement in the areas you mention and everyone says "Oh this is more work, teachers aren't qualified to grade parents, this will create a rift we need to work together".

I think this is a great bill. and all of you parents who care and are worried about this bill, and getting graded: you are not the people this bill is aimed at. You are the parents who probably bathe and feed your kids, and respond to teachers conference request. You may not be Room Mom, but that is not what this bill is addressing. This bill is addressing common parenting that every child should have the benefit of.

January 24, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  8. Pam S

I don't have 3 months off. Nowhere near it. I have 10 weeks off which is two weeks more than some friends of mine have in their private sector jobs and much of that time is spent in trainings.

Cynda and Dan....we are not all out to get you or judge you please stop lumping us all together

January 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  9. chet

If the parent is not intelligent, educated or motivated, what will you accomplish by grading them?

January 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  10. A teacher.... not a tester

Speaking as a teacher, rest assured it is not our goal or desire to grade parents; in fact our goal is not to test and grade students every waking hour, our focus is to teach. However, the politicians in Tallahassee don’t want us to teach; they want us to test, score, grade, and label. Just as they constantly test, score, grade, and label us and PUBLIC schools, note the word PUBLIC, because private schools have none of this oversight. Somewhere our elected officials have come up with the notion that students are manufactured on an assembly line, each prepared to exact specifications to gather knowledge in a set, prescribed, uniform and consistent pattern. And if your students don’t, then you’re a BAD teacher. Well, I don’t know where this child assembly line is that the politicians are looking at, but will someone let them know they need to review their specs, because this is not what is coming to school.

January 24, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  11. Dave C

It's about time. What double talk from the 'guest!' His last statement about not being able to teach his kid chemistry, and the avoidance of what the proposal is, is telling. No parent can teach all that goes on in a school, but if the parents don't impose some rules and regulations to homework, sleeping habits and diet, their kids will more than likely fail. Three cheers for the Florida legislator who instigated this idea.

January 24, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  12. Cynda

First of all, my tax dollars are going to you to educate my children the hours you have them in your care. If teachers think they have so much time to waste to grade parents (and I'd like to know what Einstein will develope the acceptable critera for this one), then they are neglecting my childs education needs, (and that is not what I pay my taxes for), and focusing more on what the parent is not doing right instead of good old class room academics. You are trained and paid educators and you should do what is in your scope on the hours you have my child. Seems like someone is trying to predispose bad parents and dictate to them what they think is right, therefore finding someone to blame for their own incompetence and failures as educators.

January 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  13. Dan

I have 2 kids in school in VA, and TOTALLY support this IF I as a parent can return the favor and grade the TEACHERS.
    If I were to do that, 1/2 of them would fail.
    They have 3 months off in the summer, and STILL complain because they work to hard.

January 24, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  14. Pam S

Ok I'm a teacher and think this is the dumbest idea ever. Politicians need to stop making it an us and them issue. Parents are teachers and teachers are parents in order to solve the problems of education we have to WORK TOGETHER. We are on the same side in that we want students to succeed.

Legislation like this serves only one purpose and that is to create a rift between parents and teachers WHICH SHOULD NOT BE THERE!!

I want to grade our representatives.

January 24, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  15. Carlotta V.

I'm from NJ and have kids in a city school. You bet that there are many many many parents out there who do not parent their kids. I feed them sometimes. I have them sit and do home work with my kids. But I also see their report cards and I know why they get the grades they do. These kids do not go to sleep at a proper hour. They are out running in the neighborhood. Seriously, these kids and families are all around me and it's horrible. When I go to open house at schools, there are so few there. What are schools and teachers supposed to do when there is no one on the other side to support them?

Typical parent here, bad meals and food, kids up late, kids running the neighborhood, no one is home, people in and out of homes, they sleep on floors, no one goes to school meetings, the kids is always late or stays home from school. why is no one checking on these kids? Yeah, I say, I would get a good parent grade but they won't, that stuff is not the parents fault.

January 24, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
  16. Darren

This is the biggest crock I have ever heard. My wife and I bust our butts each and every day to get our kids to do their homework, eat properly, avoid all the dangers online, etc. Our daughter still gets bad grades in some areas. Why aren't we grading the schools and teachers? And I don't mean by standardized tests, which the kids take too much of anyway. Schools and teachers don't take into account that each kid learns differently, their class sizes are too big, and their hands are tied because of stupid laws like "no child left behind". Common sense needs to be brought into the discussion again and we need to treat each and every child like the unique students that they are. Stop wasting our time with stupid ineffective legislation. Ridiculous!!

January 24, 2011 at 11:48 am |
  17. Marlon

I personally think this is brilliant – what this can effectively do is force parents to improve themselves in terms of guiding their children.

January 24, 2011 at 9:50 am |