American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 21st, 2011

Perry's Principles: Parents opt out of standardized tests

It's the time of the year when elementary school students across the country are taking standardized tests. But, parents of nine students at Park Forest Elementary in State College, PA are opting out of the testing for their children.

The parents say the testing is too stressful and found a loophole in the state's rules that allowed them to opt out.

CNN Education Contributor Steve Perry talks to Christine Romans about the parents' decision.

Filed under: Education • Perry's Principles
  1. AlLma

I am receiving graduate degree with Specifications in Early Childhood Education. The field is broad with an uncertain future. Where do you think is the best area to focus concentration?

I am in my fifties and do not see teaching early learners. What do you think?

April 3, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  2. AMMS126

@3125mom: You're correct about Sp Ed students who are mainstreamed and NOT performing at grade level. Sadly, you are misinformed about changes in standardized testing. Sp Ed students are administered the test for whatever grade level they are ENROLLED in...regardless of their ability level.
    You should take the issue of "credibility" up with the "foolish and ignorant" writers of NCLB and not CNN or Mr. Perry.

March 24, 2011 at 2:50 am |
  3. teq

This man obviously has no concept of what special education is. Most of these students that are on an IEP are reading at 2-3 grade levels below and then you want to test them "at" grade level....and you expect them to pass?!?! The best educator in the world can not "fix" a child who is truly in need of special education. For many of these students AYP means they came to school on time and made it through their day without having a meltdown....seriously "all subgroups should performing at or above grade level"?!?!? I am seeing red at this point. I am a mother of a special needs student and a special education teacher and this man obviously has no idea what that means. I am saddened that CNN would air this as an expert opinion...how about asking a special education expert?

March 23, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  4. Deb

Mr. Perry is correct – 3125mom - relisten to the video again, he's saying all students should perform "at or above with their peers" and if he and his staff or any teachers are willing to put in the extra effort to educate OUR KIDS then we should support them. Enough of this thinking its all up to the schools and teachers they (the good ones) are doing what they can but can't do it all alone. I want MY CHILD TO PERFORM ABOVE and if it means me getting up earlier or going to bed later to make sure they understand and are "getting" the work assigned then I'm going to do it. Why send your child to any school if they are being graduated without the bare minimum of "at" school level. We have kids graduating who are prepared to go out and get a decent paying job, my child will go to college, she will perform prayfyully above level b/c by the grace of God she will have the support and tools needed by her teachers and me. Its extremely difficult to get these kids to buckle down and get their education. I'm very thankful to educators such as Mr. Perry and the countless others.

March 23, 2011 at 9:41 am |
  5. 3125mom

This is one more reason why Steve Perry of "Perry's Principles" has no credibility as far as I'm concerned. He has made some bizarre statements in the past, but the one he makes in this video really tops them all. Listen closely when he states that all subgroups–including students with special education services–should be performing "at or above level". The reason students have IEPs is because they are not performing even *at* level with their peers. That is how they qualify for an IEP–they have disabilities. Mr. Perry must be among those who think disabilities will disappear if only the instruction is "excellent" from an "excelent" teacher, so "all students" will be "at or above level". I'm surprised CNN allowed that comment to air as he said it because it make him look foolish and ignorant. When he's on I just turn the channel, mute the TV, turn it off, or leave the room for a while because I know nothing he says will be worth listening to.

March 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Name*Steve Vernon

Great idea! Let's just give ALL kids an A, and graduate them.

March 21, 2011 at 9:41 am |