American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 5th, 2011

What do you think of Obama's decision not to release bin Laden photos?

President Obama said Wednesday he has decided not to release photos taken of Osama bin Laden's corpse.

According to a senior U.S. official, the White House has received three sets of photographs. The first batch, which clearly show bin Laden's body, was taken at a hangar in Afghanistan, the official said. The official described one of the images as a clear, but gruesome, picture of his face. Bin Laden is shown with a massive open head wound across both eyes, the official said, adding that the image would not be appropriate for the front pages of newspapers.

AM asks, what do you think about President Obama's decision not to publicly release photos of Osama bin Laden's dead body?

Filed under: AM Asks
  1. mary

i think this death of bin laden is all fake why we the people have no proof.we had to see the bodies and all the pain of 9/11 why cant we see this body i beleive president and goverment all together and bet hes still alive

May 5, 2011 at 7:57 am |
  2. Irma Howarth

I agree with President Obama's decision to not release the Bin Laden photos – I think it is a wise decision.

May 5, 2011 at 7:56 am |
  3. Lori G

So it's okay to have pictures of the 95 bombing in Oalahoma, where the little boys is blown to shreads. It's okay to have gruesome pictures and videos of THEM blowing off the heads of American citizens but we don't want to rile THEM?!?! Obama has made a huge mistake in thinking that the average American will be okay with him not releasing the photos....I don't care how we killed him, nor do I require "proof", I do believe we got him. The point here is....do his followers?

May 5, 2011 at 7:56 am |
  4. angela taylor

as i said before i wouldn't mind seeing the pictures but if the president feel its in the american people interest not to then its ok with me.

May 5, 2011 at 7:54 am |
  5. Mrs. Svetlana Shales

At first I thought it was a mistake because of the disbelief it might engender; but after listening to the administration's explanations, I understand that decision. I think President Obama is a reflective, cautious, super-intelligent President and we are lucky to have him.
    On another subject, the bad economy & unemployment causing public dissatisfaction with him is not his fault, it's the same in the other WesternCountries and very difficult to fix. Also, people should go to Europe and see how much gasoline costs there... they'd consider themselves lucky to pay $4.00/gln and not $12.00...

May 5, 2011 at 7:54 am |
  6. connie miller

I totally agree with President Obama's decision not to release photos of Bin Laden's death. We do not need these photos on the front page.

May 5, 2011 at 7:49 am |
  7. jd

I think OBL isn't dead – YET – because his interrogation is ongoing. The photos no doubt will come as soon as CIA is finished with him. What better way to undermine the enemy than to let them think that bin Laden's secrets are safe at the bottom of the Arabian Sea? Both al qaeda and Osama's Pakistani protectors will be caught off guard when he talks. How's that for a realistic conspiracy theory? Makes more sense than the stuff the White House is feeding us. (I'm currently seeking options for the screenplay.)

May 5, 2011 at 7:49 am |
  8. Jerry from Ohio

Everyone is talking about Binladen not being armed. He heid Alqauda in his hands and killed thousands. Is that weapon enough? We could have droped a bomb and killed everyone. The best choice was made! Who would be satisfied either way it was done? "He was a Syco... Syco Gone! From a disabled veteran to our silent warriors Thank you and from my Heart "Job Well Done"

May 5, 2011 at 7:48 am |
  9. S Johnson

The Pesident of the United States of America is doing what is right in consultation with his Security advisors. I also want Congress to think and support the President in times like these. Did the Americans see all dead bodies after 9/11? So, what is the problem for just one?

May 5, 2011 at 7:45 am |
  10. GrimRipperroo

OBL photo/photos should be released; without hard evidence, his death is left in limbo and doubt will remain, When all the top rated video games promote extreme violence as their genre, I seriously disagree with the touchy/feely attitude of a bunch of prudes whose children are making 5000 virtual kills a month on Xbox Live. Try and get real here.

I don't need some moron bureaucrat making decisions for me in any arena, especially this circus in Washington.

May 5, 2011 at 7:43 am |
  11. Robert Howarth

I think the President's decision to not show the Bin Laden pictures is the best of the options he has – I agree with him. It does show some sensitivity and respect for privacy of the deceased as well as minimizing potential negative shock on many viewers.

May 5, 2011 at 7:43 am |
  12. Bill Windels

The President made the right decision for all the reasons he mentioned.

May 5, 2011 at 7:37 am |
  13. RM Michael

I think that the president was right in this decision to not show the photos. If shown, it would reduce us to the level that has been demonstrated by countries that feed on sensationalism. I agree w/ our president, "that's not who we are."
    I also don't think that it's necessary. Why pander to the morbid curiosity that feeds the rank and file of America. Even thinking about viewing those photos makes me sick to my stomach.
    I AM glad that Diane Finestine says he was going for a gun. Puts my heart to rest in a strange way.

May 5, 2011 at 7:34 am |
  14. Jerry from Ohio

We have seen so many pictires on tv of people all over the world living and dead that probably worse than binladen is. Soldiers and civilions all over the world by the hands of that syco and his pals!
    I want to see the pictures, others don't want to see them and then their are the thousands who probably "need" to see them for their Hearts, Minds and Soul,s for their personal closure! What about them? Don,t they have a right to see them if that,s what they need to "Heal" ?

May 5, 2011 at 7:33 am |
  15. Madinah

I think that it is impossible that Osama bin Laden or any muslim hijacked four air-planes in the United States and attacked the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Also, it is not possible that the gasoline from these air-planes brought down the twin-towers. I believe it was a bomb that hit these places, a guided missle. The previous, administration needed an excuse to again, attack Iraq to remove (Saddam Hussein), left un-done from the Gulf War. Many, people believe that the Obama administration is involved with this huge task of covering this up, and this is just another attempt to keep the truth from coming out. The truth must come -out to-free all muslims from this unjust-accusation and cover-up, and the release of all prisoners of wars. "The Truth Will Set Us Free" and stop the attack on muslims, here and abroad.

May 5, 2011 at 7:32 am |
  16. lou

The president should allow photos. Why is he protecting us against ourselves. The radicals are not going to be any nicer to us, simply because photos are not shown. and why is obama adm. patting themselves on the shoulder. It took ten years to catch usama, my eight year old could've found him too. who has the weaker spine? the president or his advisors. remember IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID THAT WILL HAUNT OBAMA. i guarantee IT.

May 5, 2011 at 7:31 am |
  17. Sidney Hurstman

I agree with the decision not to post the photos for all the reasons given by the President. As for proving bin Laden is dead, the burden of proof is on the doubters. If they show me a live bin Laden, I'll believe them; otherwise I've seen plenty of proof he's no longer with us.

May 5, 2011 at 7:31 am |
  18. A Jones

I say that that President is doing the right thing by not showing the pictures. I also have to say that if bin Laden was still alive, I'm sure that a updated vidio would have been made by now. However, if there are still some doubtors out there nothing will change thier minds, and if they want proof, ask them to send a message to bin Laden and tell him to make a vedio or take a picture to proof that he's alive.

May 5, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  19. James Jordan

No, the photo should not be released. It isn't necessary to do so. Lets move on people!!

May 5, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  20. RMW

I support President Obama 100%. Pictures or no pictures, people will ALWAYS wonder anyway.

May 5, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  21. Colleen

It is the best decision, without a doubt. Come on, people, where's our sense of dignity? It's part of what defines us as a nation. I can't think of anything positive that would come of releasing a photo. Those that doubt Osama's death will only doubt the validity of the photo...Our enemies will exploit the photo, which will, in effect, only work to defeat the reason that this mission was carried out in the first place. Look at the big picture. I say kudos to the President for doing what is right.

May 5, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  22. Thomas Chan

Releasing photos of Osama bin Laden's corpse at this point in time would be a grievous error, and would serve to simply meet the lowest common denominator, allying the 24-hour press cycle, further endangering troops in the field in addition to citizens abroad, and effecting no productive results.

Libertarians may well move to sue for the release of these photos on the basis of freedom of information, but this – if effective – would at least result in these photos being revealed at a later stage, when resulting reactions may be alleviated.

May 5, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  23. Elaine Razy

I'm grateful for the administration's decision not to release the pictures of Osama bin Laden's corpse. We did what we had to do with such a monster, and that includes giving him a civilized funeral. In life, he robbed us of much we hold dear, but in death, we can not let him steal away with our dignity. Dignity is ours, unless we give it away. No matter what the enemy does, we can NEVER forget who we want to be!

May 5, 2011 at 7:25 am |
  24. VAFred

I support the decision made by Obama! I personally need no proof that he is dead, especially in the form of gruesome pictures.

May 5, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  25. GDI-in-NC

Of course we shouldn't be showing the pics! I don't agree with the Prez on much, but this seems like a given. #1 There will be enough retaliation as is; no reason to pour salt. #2 Won't put any conspiracy theories to rest... may, in fact, open up more. #3 To continue Obama's football analogy, "act like you've been there before" – mission accomplished, time to move on.

May 5, 2011 at 7:20 am |
  26. Tom

To the rest of the world there is no such thing as an OFFICIAL PHOTO...so, what's the point?. What can we do to convince anyone that we have the Official Photo: have Obama sign and official-seal the photo that we release in a live White House Conference with the Joint Chiefs ? ?...waste of time, no need to release anything, we all know (in the Usa) THAT WE GOT HIM !!! THAT'S WHAT COUNTS !!

May 5, 2011 at 7:20 am |
  27. Jen

I always supported the President's decision, but after 5:00 AM EST I now support his decision even more than ever!

This morning I saw graphic pictures of 3 men killed at the Bin Laden's compound on CNN World, provided by Reuters, unexpectedly I might add. After seeing these photos, I am glad that CNN USA did not decided to show these photos and even more support the President's decision not to display Bin Laden's photo.

May 5, 2011 at 7:19 am |
  28. wally Tank

Our lives must go on despite the killing of Bin Laden. My heart goes out to the families of the the people that died on 9/11.
    The fact is, we are accelerating revenge by the members of these terrorist groups and we need to stop the media frenzy created by Bin Ladens death. We need to move on as a country and leave the past in the past.
    Thank you also goes out our troops for their commitment to keep our country safe.

Wally T.

May 5, 2011 at 7:19 am |
  29. Thomas Chan

Releasing Osama bin Laden's corpse at this point in time would be a grievous error, and would serve to simply meet the lowest common denominator, allying the 24-hour press cycle, further endangering troops in the field in addition to citizens abroad, and effecting no productive results.

May 5, 2011 at 7:18 am |
  30. michael cicchino

I think the world of president Obama, but they killed Bin Laden and buried him wlthout proof to us common folk. I feel I am being asked to believe our goverment in faith as I would god in the bible. This is not working for me! Mike

May 5, 2011 at 7:18 am |
  31. DMalenfant

This is the way I look at it, the terrorists are going to want to get us regardless if we show the photos or not, I mean really, are you people that serious that they would get angrier over photos then the actions of the USA killing him? Really?

Also on another note, I am a tax payer, I pay the military to get jobs like this done, and like any company/ person I pay to get a job done, I want to see how their work turned out, not because I need proof, but because I want to have the enjoyment of my tax dollar well spent. We all had the enjoyment (sarcasm) of being terrified from watching people jumping out of those building's on 9/11, I think we have the right to enjoy the site of this dirt bag's carcass on a photo.

May 5, 2011 at 7:17 am |
  32. Doug Rohde

I think it took a lot of guts for Mr. Obama to do the right thing. Let's face it, no matter which decision he made, he would have been criticized by someone. Because of his decision, I am prouder today to be an American than I have been in a long time. Splattering these pictures all over the internt would have only lowered us to the level of these terrorists. That's not what America is about. The bastard is dead and that's all that matters. It's time to move on. Bravo Mr. President.

May 5, 2011 at 7:17 am |
  33. Lynne Ready

I totally agree with President Obama's decision, however, perhaps he should show them to donald trump

May 5, 2011 at 7:17 am |
  34. Logan

I think it was a class A move on the side of the President not to show photos. Bin Laden death as needed as it was, isn't a joke. This was a human being, a terrible human being yes but loved by someone, a man with a mother and children. People in the United States and around the world wouldn't like thier loved ones displayed in a rude manner no matter what thier crimes. I just think his death should close the wounds of the people who lost love ones aroundthe world, and we all can move on to the next most wanted criminals in this ever growing dangerous world. I'm so glad we had President Obama for that 3am call. The President saved lives on the downlow!!!!!!!

May 5, 2011 at 7:16 am |
  35. Nancy May

I absolutely agree with the President's decision. As he said, "It's not who we are." It would be beneath the dignity of the President and of the United States to publish the photos. This is not a joyous occasion, but rather one of satisfaction that this job had been taken care of. Let's move on.

May 5, 2011 at 7:15 am |
  36. Paula Mattras

Actually, the President's decision, taking all possible repercussions into consideration, is a good one. We do not need a photo to believe the deed has been done. I believe that Cathy Giffords suffered a gunshot to her head although I have seen no photographic evidence of it.

May 5, 2011 at 7:14 am |
  37. Eri Mansfield

I am proud of President Obama's decision. Somebody has to stop extra violence that we don't need and he is leading us and showing what is to be a true role model. We do not have to see the picture.

May 5, 2011 at 7:14 am |
  38. Diane E

I think the President is completely right in his decision to not release the photos.

May 5, 2011 at 7:13 am |
  39. Nora Giordano

The President is saying "NO" to showing the pictures, that should be the end of this conversation. We need to learn to accept and respect our Commander and Chief and move along to something else.

As Americans, we give to much information on senative issues and we are living among terrist within USA.
    The left hand should never know what the right hand is doing.

The reason this mission was kept on the low, is because of public broadcasting.
    Please move on to something new, enough is enough.

May 5, 2011 at 7:13 am |
  40. Margaret

Good morning, guys. I agree with President Obama's decision to not release the Bin Laden death photos. If releasing those photos could in any way incite more violence and put our troops in the Middle East in more danger, then the public doesn't need to see them. Those soldiers do their duty no questions asked. So to respect them and their sacrifices, we should do the same.
    .....maggie

May 5, 2011 at 7:12 am |
  41. Lois Rice

We were extremly happy with the president's decision not to display Bin Ladin to the public. We think it would only incite the Muslims who are radical and we really have accomplished a great thing for all Americans. Thank God, at 82 year and 92 year old "ancients", we lived to see this day,,just one of the many blessings in our years on this great earth. Thank you, President, and all those blessed SEALS!

May 5, 2011 at 7:11 am |
  42. Michael

Although I would like to see pix myself, I think Obama has made a prudent decesion.

Mjke

May 5, 2011 at 7:11 am |
  43. Judy Harvey

@cnnAM I think that's very wise. Why would Americans want that released? Wouldn't that be fanning the flame? Osama's supporters are still out there and probably planning their retaliation, and we should be thinking of America's safety, first and foremost.

May 5, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  44. Brandy Gordon

I really do not believe showing the pictures of this man would be considered a trophy, I personally would like to see them released for verification purpose, for closure. I do not believe this would be any different than a family member identifying a body or watching a death sentence carried out.
    He effected our entire country, he effected all of us, we deserve the peace and the closure

May 5, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  45. C. Penn

It is definitely the right decision. We do NOT need to see any photos nor know EVERY detail of the operation. The media tries to give us TOO much information – we don't need it. LET IT GO. My husband changed to Fox News yesterday because you at CNN were ragging it to death.

May 5, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  46. th092740

Let's see, the photo can't be released because it may upset some, yet it's ok to go to Ground Zero and gloat? Same reasoning that says we can't possibly drip water on a head – torture, but it's ok to put a bullet in head?

May 5, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  47. Richard Sullivan

I see absolutely no need to display the pictures. He has been eliminated; I stand with the President and am thankful for his decision.

I also give no credence to any accounts coming from the daughter of Osama bin Laden or any of his personal party, do you expect the truth from the daughter of the World’s most sought after terrorist?

May 5, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  48. Reenie Banks

I think the president made a wise decision. There is absolutely no reason for the U.S. to have to prove OBL is dead. If the military with help from the CIA say they killed him and the president says he's dead than he's dead! The DNA proof is good enough for me. We don't need morbid pictures circulating our media and possible putting the U.S. foreign government and troops in any more harm than they already are.

Reenie Banks
    Toronto,ON

May 5, 2011 at 7:09 am |
  49. Jo

I think the President is right not to release the photos. Enough is enough. I don't think we need to feed peoples morbid curiosity. He was an evil man,and I don't think children need to see these pictures. I don't think people need to know everything,like how they found him.The next one will learn from bin Ladens mistakes.

May 5, 2011 at 7:08 am |
  50. Thomas

Why would the President of the United States of America give Osama Bin Laden an opportunity to make a mockery of the situation if he really was not dead...

May 5, 2011 at 7:08 am |
  51. Mary

I think it was a appropriate decision. I know this brought closer to a lot of people and my heart goes out to them, but I truly believe that he is gone if the president says he is gone I for one will take his word for it I really don’t want to see a picture…

May 5, 2011 at 7:08 am |
  52. Mary Holt

I am in total agreement with President Obama's decision to not release photos related to bin Laden's death. Nothing good could come from release of the photos.

May 5, 2011 at 7:08 am |
  53. Joyce Stengel

I think it stinks, with an overpowering smell. We saw the images of the three other dead men, perhaps those were the only dead men. I started doubting that that mission killed Osama Bin Laden as soon as I heard they dumped the body at sea.

May 5, 2011 at 7:08 am |
  54. Rick

i agree with Pres. Obama`s decision NOT to show any of the pictures!
    not just because to incite any new violence !!
    the objective was to capture/kill OBL we should accept the fact public enemy number #1 has met his demise!!!! on )5/02/11

May 5, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  55. Deborah

I don't think so! The president got the job done and there is no need to prove anything to anybody. He would be criticized if he were to release photo's just like he is being now,without showing them. Why put our troops in more danger with this. Stand your ground President Obama! Great Job!

May 5, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  56. Ann Filter

I have great confidence in the President's decision not to show the photos.

May 5, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  57. richard Paul

Why would you ask such a stupid question...... we have servicemen and women in harms way, we don't need those pictures to come out and give the radical muslims any kind of excuse to attack our soldiers.
    I think its the right and only decision.......
    Now Cnn start asking good questions, like how many people will the president save for not showing those pictures....

May 5, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  58. Connie Cole

No one wins by showing the gruesome pictures of a dead man. Especially that of of Bin Ladin. We as Americans have never appreciated it when one of our own was paraded in front of National Television by terrorist threatening to kill or torture them.
    Despite the atrocities this man has carried out he still has loved ones! What happened to the word "Compassion"?
    Good call Mr President!

May 5, 2011 at 7:06 am |
  59. Larry Lansford

Not release the Bin Laden pix? Now "The Donald" (Trump) will demand a certificate of death–the long version–to prove they really killed him.

May 5, 2011 at 7:06 am |
  60. lynsada

I don't need to know everything that is why we have elected officials. In an attempt to inform the American public we also inform the enemy.

May 5, 2011 at 7:05 am |
  61. Romeo

I feel the President should release the photos. I sat at home and watched people jump from the World Trade Center to their death . Why should I not want to see a photo of bin laden dead. Was he and his people worried about how we felt when we sat and watched our people burn ?

May 5, 2011 at 7:05 am |
  62. pat garcy

It was the right decision. One prominent republican who advocated release of the photos said "what netgative can come of it? (releasing the photos). The question should be "what positive can come of releasing the photos." I would argue that nothing positive can come from it. It could inflame radical islamists and endanger our troops and citizens worldwide. Not necessary Bury the photos. Go Terps.

May 5, 2011 at 7:05 am |
  63. Susan

To some, the release of the photos won't be enough. Two birth certificates haven't been enough. Nothing we need to see here, let's all move on.

May 5, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  64. Name*Matt anders

I think he is wrong he is disgracing the Lifes of our lost Americans by not posting that picture of bin landen the man does not deserve respect and it shows a weak administration to be afraid of insulting our events God bless Ametica

May 5, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  65. Duane

Why is it that it's fine to have our own President's (JFK) assignation showing the back of his head and brains being blown out on television, the Internet and even Hollywood making a movie with that scene in it, but it's not okay to have OBL's pictures release?

DKE

May 5, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  66. Mark

Whats the point in releasing photos if skeptics will always remain skeptics. In the age of photoshop and doctored-imaging, no one is going to look at Osama's photos of him riddled with holes and say "yes, now I believe they got him..... I have seen the official photo taken by the USA Govt " !!! DONT RELEASE, NO ONES BUSINESS !!!

May 5, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  67. Linda

To me and hopefully to some, I feel that the President has shown strength of character to NOT release the photos despite the popularity of many to have them released. How many of us have NOT personally seen God, yet do most of us believe in HIM? Why take the chance of putting Americans and soldiers abroad at risk of their lives just to satisfy our own morbid curiosity.

May 5, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  68. Bernie

we do not need to see the pictures of the dead osama bin laden.It serves no purpose and will only upset the decent muslims.For those who dont believe that he's dead,let them believe,their no smarter than Trump and the other birthers

May 5, 2011 at 7:03 am |
  69. Jeff Depoe

If OBL isn't dead this will be the biggest hoax ever.I agree with the decision not to release the photos.It can only put our soldiers in even more danger than they already are.

May 5, 2011 at 7:03 am |
  70. ricky

This man took the lives of millions 911 and our troops the american's should see the photo so the families have justice

May 5, 2011 at 7:03 am |
  71. Bill Dodenhoff

I agree with the Presidents decision to not publish the photos. There is really nothing to be gained from doing so because those who doubt that he has been killed will always have doubt no matter how much evidence to the contrary is provided. It is also not the decent thing to do.....this isn't a trophy.

May 5, 2011 at 7:02 am |
  72. Valerie Vanzetta

I agree with President Obama's decision not to show bin Laden's death photos. No good would become of this. To those who do not approve of our President they would say the photos were fabricated. To terrorists, the photos would become rallying points.

May 5, 2011 at 7:02 am |
  73. Greg in Southwest MO

I think that not releasing the photos is only going to feed more conspiracy theories. For crying out loud, people are still claiming to see Elvis alive. Show the proof... if you think the pictures are something you don't want to see then don't look at them. Thats why televisions have an off on button.

May 5, 2011 at 7:02 am |
  74. Carlos D Arana

I am in total agreement with the Presidents decision.

May 5, 2011 at 7:02 am |
  75. Charlie

There is no need to see the photos. The press should stop covering this. All of this attention is only going to help make him a martyr and victim.

May 5, 2011 at 7:02 am |
  76. Chase Womble

Releasing the photo would only make this dispute disappear instantly. The american public should have the right to see this simple evidence. If it's too gory for some, they should just not look at it.

May 5, 2011 at 7:01 am |
  77. John Kumpunen

Obama's decision is noble. It draws an exemplary line between evolved whole-brain thinking and our reptilian need for a glimpse of gore when rubbernecking traffic accidents.

May 5, 2011 at 7:01 am |
  78. Robert Ferrante

Pictures of OBL will paint a picture of a thousand nightmares – why are we so driven to see a human being with half his head blown off. Let's concentrate on the serious tasks ahead.

79. Tokyo Nayeli Black

There is no point to seeing the photos, period! If Osama was not dead, Bin Laden would have already surfaced via video to vehemently disprove his death.

People that want to see the photos are simply curious for the sake of being curious. Its the times we live in that make us feel we have a right to EVERYTHING. Trust in our President, and trust that justice as served.

God Bless America!

80. Kevin

I do not think it is necessary to show pictures of a dead Bin Laden. Seeing the pirated video of Hussein being hanged and his neck and spin poking out of the hole in his neck as he dangled from the rope was a sickening sight. It reduced him from this larger than life monster to just a man. Seeing Bin Laden with a hole above his eye is no different. The picture has the potential to be exploited by both sides and doesn't change anything so I would not reveal it. All of the celebrations of his death are wrong. This is a time to reflect on the terror and destruction this man caused not celebrate like we won the super bowl. This is not a victory but a relief. Where is our humility?

81. C. Graham

We do not need to see those photos. I don't think we are a nation of ghouls. It reminds one of lynchings that the town would go to watch. It might have been a necessary operation to kill Bin Laden, but we need to remain respectful of the seriousness of the situation.

82. Donald J Rudolph

Just right! The President did the right action in taking him down and he is making the USA better to the world by not showing the picture. Retired Navy...

83. Sylvia Ellis

Faith. We must have faith in the President, Government Officials, Seal, Etc. If they say he is dead–then he is dead. We DO NOT need to see photos of a dead body. I agree with the President, the situation is bad enough, where more than likely there will be some retaliation–more lives will probably be loss, Pakistan may want to fight back–so, leave well enough alone.

84. B. Sharp

I understand some people's interest in seeing the body for closure, but real time and moving forward are the only things to create real closure. Also I have a real concern that once we open the floodgates of showing dead and mangled lifeless body's on tv that it will be impossible to go back. I don't want that to be the next step in media evolution.

Thank you.

85. peggy petrino

Why fan the flames of hatred? President Obama made the right call NOT to release the death photos of Osama Bin Laden.

86. David

What has happened to US credability. This will provide another cloak of secretcy within the US government, I thought the Obama administration was all about being open with the american people. We had published photos before of high value deceased targets, what makes Osama Bin Laden special. Let's do the right thing by letting the world see that he is in fact gone, and lets move on.....we now need to rethink our mission in Afganistan. Mission complete!!!!

87. Brandon

It is a wise decision not to release the photos at this time. It could be the catalyst for retaliation. I believe in time these photos will be leaked or released, however there will always be those who refuse to believe Bin Laden is dead. The photos should be released when it is appropriate.

88. ruth in florida

Thank God that our President is a sensible man who is able to show some restraint. The fact that American's are so aggressively seeking to see the body f a dead man just proves that we have lost our values and most of all our fear of God. And, why don't everyone stop speculating about what Obama? why Obama? who Obama and let the man do his JOB.

89. J. O'Brien

I totally agree with President Obama's decision not to display photographs of Bin Laden's body..
    On another note, I am sick to death of hearing Wolf Blitzer ask questions to illicit in negative responses. Can't he ever say anything positive about the USA?

90. Bill Reece

The leaders of the Arab countries are well aware of Osama's death. Palestine officials have already made their excuses of not knowing he was living around the corner for years. I go along with the decision of not going public they have solid proof & so does Palestine (they knew exactly where he was living). Why incite the Arab people with so many Americans abroad? Bravo Obama!

May 5, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  91. LINDA GREER

TO ALL OBAMA IS RIGHT NOT TO DISPLAY THE BODY OF BIN LADEN, THERE WAS A PURPOSE FOR THROWING THE DEVEL IN THE SEE, THERE WILL NOT BE A SHRINE, SO WHY SHOULD WE GIVE HIM THE PRIVALGE OF SHOWING HIS BODY TO THE WHOLE WORLD? OBAMA MADE THE RIGHT DECISION. COME ON AMERICA CLOSE THE DOORS OF HELL AND LET LADEN BURN THERE. TRUST OUR PRESIDENT.

May 5, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  92. Louise Kauders

The right decision, period.

May 5, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  93. john roark

I think the american people deserve to see these photos there are many that believe that he is not dead....we have seen much worse on television!!

May 5, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  94. Carolyn Taylor

Presidents Obama's decision to not display photos proves that America has the class and dignity which sets us apart from the rest of the world. It makes me proud.

May 5, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  95. Doug H

President Obama made the right decision. It's like televising an execution – it just isn't right. Plus sara palin wants it, so it can't be good!

May 5, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  96. Kachina

We do NOT need to show our children gruesome photo's of OBL shot in the head with brains scattered all over! Great call President Obama! May terrorist get the message loud & clear! We will find you! Love you Seals!

May 5, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  97. Mark, Centerport, L.I., NY

This decision, like all others he makes, strives to take the high road.
    I am proud of our president.

May 5, 2011 at 6:58 am |
  98. Tom

There will be hundreds of fake photos released from now on. Lets not contribute to the circus by putting out the real ones because there is no credibility in photos anyway plus whatever we release will be photoshoped by many; once it all calms down many years from now, certain documents-photos can be released. Obama has made the right decision. Coming from a Republican.

May 5, 2011 at 6:58 am |
  99. Lisa Girlie

It's just morbid curiosity.

May 5, 2011 at 6:58 am |
  100. Matthew Depner

Like Tom I believe I did however it was on a TV in a Picture on NPR's website of people in Baghdad looking on TV seeing a photo. Perhaps this is something similar to what other people believe too?

May 5, 2011 at 6:58 am |