American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 5th, 2011

What do you think of Obama's decision not to release bin Laden photos?

President Obama said Wednesday he has decided not to release photos taken of Osama bin Laden's corpse.

According to a senior U.S. official, the White House has received three sets of photographs. The first batch, which clearly show bin Laden's body, was taken at a hangar in Afghanistan, the official said. The official described one of the images as a clear, but gruesome, picture of his face. Bin Laden is shown with a massive open head wound across both eyes, the official said, adding that the image would not be appropriate for the front pages of newspapers.

AM asks, what do you think about President Obama's decision not to publicly release photos of Osama bin Laden's dead body?

Filed under: AM Asks
  1. Leverne Reed

I just listened to the report on Teachers Salaries and I'm disgusted.

As a mother of two Educators I know how difficult it is for them to make ends meet. How dare Mr. Steve Perry suggest that Teachers should be some type of martyr for society only entering the profession just for the" love of teaching". What about nurses, I'm sure they love what they do, however they are paid very differently from teachers.

Teachers don't expect to get "RICH" but they should be paid as other Professionals in this country !

Also, this notion that teachers get "14 weeks vacation" while everyone else receives only 2 weeks is ludicrous. I worked in "Corporate America" as well as my husband and the average amount of time for vacation varies from 5-8 weeks if not longer.

I'm not suggesting that the process for evaluating and rewarding teachers should not be reviewed but to suggest their salaries are aligned with other profession is wrong.

I beleive it's people like him that keep good people from entering the profession.

P.S. I also did not enjoy the laughter between the reporter and Mr. Perry. This is a very serious problem and people are hurting because the profession they" love" may cause them to live just above poverty.

May 5, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  2. Sulaiman Safdar

There is a strong speculation under my analysis that this seems like a high profile game that not even strong leaders of many nations could contribute in. It may sound like a conspiracy theory but just imagine one thing; World's MOST WANTED TERRORIST is finally killed (allegedly), why not disclose his pictures when the US even videotaped Saddam Hussain's death? Why did Team 6 shoot Osama on sight instead of tranquilizers and capturing him, and in turn, making a-Qaeda weak by finding out their secrets through Osama? Why wouldn't Obama release the pictures to the leaders or high officials of interested countries so they could reveal to their nations that Osama is definitely dead?

This is a high profile game plan, most of you are naive, and don't know where their horizons are. US is losing its popularity day by day as being a super-power. It made up this story so it could become a hero again among nations. Not the least, ISI had been deployed to those places wherever CIA asked them to. Now why would US illegally intervene in Pakistan and not even tell the authorities about the mission? It is not the matter of incompetency. US is saying that ISI was harboring his location, which is utterly BS. If ISI would know, why wouldn't CIA know about his hideout? They have drones flying everywhere. They have satellite recording and top notch think tanks?

Think again people. Obama has his personal interest in the game too. Now these are only my speculation, thinking outside the box. They may be not true, but hey, we need to pressurize him to get those photos out. We see even more disgusting things in movies these days. How disgusting would it be to see a dead terrorist who killed thousands of innocent people.

Cheers!

May 5, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  3. Muslim Soldier

Osama Bin Laden iz not dead! Itz all a conspiracy...!!!

May 5, 2011 at 9:29 am |
  4. JAMES NUTILE

We need to get over this mentality that America deserves something because of numerous reasons. What we have to do is begin thinking about making the word safer. Putting a trophy photo so some can feel better about themselves and not think about the ramifications it will have on service members and Americans abroad and here need to step back and think with their minds and not their hearts.
    I understand the need for closure, but this will not satisfy anyone, much like the Presidents birth certificate still has people doubting.

May 5, 2011 at 9:29 am |
  5. carlene sailor

I am in strong support of the presidents decision to keep the gruesome photo's of OSBL's death classified and would encourage the media to move on and have more coverage of the families of 9/11 and how their priorities have changed! They can teach the rest of us how to put significance in our own lives!

May 5, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  6. peter louch

IF the US does nor release photo evidence of Bin Laden's death then they are just adding fuel to the very real possibility that elements in the Muslim world will try to make him a martyr and they can say he is not dead.!
    Do you think the American people and the rest of the world with families who lost loved onves in 911 care how gruesome Bin Laden looked after he was killed ? I'm sure they just want to know he is gone for good!
    Lets face it in the old days when the Marshall killed an outlaw the body would be publicly displayed in an open coffin so people copuld see it!
    Peter Toronto

May 5, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  7. Chris C.

I understand why people THINK they want to see these photos, but I feel it is unnecessary. Morbid curiosity is part of our human nature, but honestly I believe it will do more harm than good. As some believe, it could be made an icon for the extremists out there. Not only that, as we've all seen here in our OWN nation, there are people who WILL take these photos and use them as a tool to fuel their hatred for the Muslim community that has plagued our nation now for years. The photos can be used as a threat to the terrorist groups of the world, to say - "We will find you, and destroy you." But we all know these can get in the wrong hands and send the wrong message. I believe we all have the right to criticize, but we also have a duty as a nation to rationalize. I leave with a quote that I'm sure many of us have seen by now, by the late Dr. Martin Luther King -

""I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

God Bless.

May 5, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  8. Rob

Obama made the right decision again. Violence may spike up anyway but perhaps not to the same degree if the photos were released. The rest of the world got the message. I am proud to be an American, god bless our troops and God bless America.

May 5, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  9. Catherine

A picture is a way to glorify another person! Most of us have pictures of our mothers(remember this Sunday) and we honor them with a picture. The face on the picture may be beautiful or disfigured but we honor them with the photo. Usam bin Laden wa killed on the day that John Paul II was beautified. We honor John Paul II because he is a holy man. One way we do this is with a picture. Showing a picture of Usam bin Laden will only honor this evil man. HE DOES NOT NEED ANY RESPECT!!! This man is DEAD!!!

Show pictures of those who died during 9/11. Pictures of mothers, brothers, sisters, and fathers. These need our honor, not an evil man like bin Laden. The last thing we need are pictures of bin Laden hanging on a wall or around someone's neck!!l

May 5, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  10. Cynthia

I agree with the decision not to release the OBL death photos. There is plenty of proof that he's dead, and a photo will not convince anyone who has decided to doubt it. We have video of astronauts of Apollo 11 walking on the Moon, yet conspiracy theorists are still determined to believe what they want.

May 5, 2011 at 9:16 am |
  11. Jan Barrier

We should have pierced his body on a long pole and put it on the 9/11 site or maybe just his head. How barbaric to display an enemy's dead photo for our self-serving gratification.

May 5, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  12. clay mitchell

I think the senitor you interviewed is full of shiz. I had worked for the government for 34 years and have personal knowledge of back room politics which deferr from the information released to the public.

If I was Bin Ladens family I would also confirm that he was dead so that the US would stop looking for him. This is a re-election year and and Bin Ladens death will will secure Obamas second term.

We have no photos, no body and no hard evidence that he is dead, only the word of those who are paid by the president. The president has an obligation to release the photos and details involving this mission. The media should give disclaimers and the photos should be shown atfer 9 pm

May 5, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  13. Philip Roeth

The President has made the decision not to show the pictures. That should be the end of the discussion. Why is it always necessary to question his decision making capabilities? Is this news? I do not think so.

Bin Laden is dead so why question it....period. End of discussion.

May 5, 2011 at 9:14 am |
  14. Gina

Seriously? For those who want to see pictures because you want evidence. Ok so you don’t believe the President I get that…but then you don’t believe in the work and word of our Navy Seals! What Clinton, Biden and all the others in that room were watching it in real time! Do you understand how gruesome and graphic a picture of a shot to the head will be, no matter how much you try to clean it up? How delicate this situation is already without the release of those pictures? Now for those of you who want evidence AND believe in God (which I’m sure is most)….I’m sure you have some hard evidence lying around somewhere that God does exist...That’s what I thought

May 5, 2011 at 9:10 am |
  15. S. Clark

As I am approaching 75 years old, I could be mistaken on my recollection of the exposure of the following, but if not, I seem to remember news releases (photographs) of Hitler and Mouselinni's bodies, and of course more recently Saddam Houssein's body being shown to the public. Sadly, because of Mr. Obama's devestating handling of our country, to put it lightly, and recently, his greatly delayed release of his birth certificate, that makes one can't help but question alterations to it, I feel showing the public that this man is truly dead is important. If not, is this a political ploy to use with on-coming elections, giving Mr. Obama credit for Osama Bin Laden's demise that may not be true.

S. Clark

May 5, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  16. Jerry from Ohio

Thank God for my DVR! I can skip over all these so called experts that are crawling out of the woodwork. The real experts are the ones that are doing the job! Fighting in the front lines and in our intelligence agencies. They aren,t trying to make their bones on news channels to get a better job or are running for goverment offices. They are protecting everyones freedom without being known or expecting to be known or being put in the news or on a pedistal.
    We got Binladen like most of the world wanted! Be thankful and quit trying to stur up more hate and distruction by picking at everything our true protectors do for us and our "Freedom"! I say thank you and God Bless to the ones who aren,t seen on TV, that put their lives on the line everyday without recognition, "Our Silent Warriors"...

May 5, 2011 at 9:07 am |
  17. Courtney

Give us our peaCe of mind!! that's what our people our asking for nothing more or less. We did give them theirs. Now we are asking for ours. Seeing the photos is more proof. Dna test or not you could have got his blood from anything to mess with a dna test. I mean while everyone is spreding rumors. Thats a joke. Pictures and the news and media on this will die down soon enough on this story. They are the ones who blow it up as well.

May 5, 2011 at 9:06 am |
  18. JD

I agree with President Obama's decision not to make public the photos of the dead Osama bin Laden. Not only would it incite a riot among members of Al-queda, but it would also be used as a recruiting tool for those extremists. Using DNA testing that was analyzed by objective experts, it should be concluded that this terrorist is dead. By speculating the unfolding events gathered by Americans in the journey to kill Osama bin Laden and attempting to create fabrications that deviate from the truth will only elevate our distrust in the evidence that this murderer is no longer living. Gone are the days of conspiracy theories. Let us trust in the unquestionable scientific methods used in our own judiciary system. My prayers go out to all family members and Americans affected by terrorists activities.

May 5, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  19. Bill Wade

I am disappointed the President decided not to release any photos of Bin Laden post-mortem. I find it odd he is concerned releasing photos of Bin Laden's body will incite violence from the extremist Islamic sects but he is not concerned how these same people will react to the news U.S. special forces killed an unarmed "slight man" in failing health.

May 5, 2011 at 8:57 am |
  20. Courtney

Everyone is so concerned with the problems releasing these photos may cause. I believe we should have thought about it before we shot him. Shooting him could have caused far more then letting us see a few pictures or a video to put peace in some minds. For the ones who can not or dont want to handle it, dont look. Its better then the fake pictures and rumors that are being spread. "obama, osama". There are videos of hudam husan being hanged. Like the reporter said this morning while saying they dont need to be shown. "these photos were taking for a reason, to prove death!" Let us see death for the thousands that died on 9.11. I mean that is why he was killed right? How can obama see these pictures but we can't. He may be president but he is just a person like us. So for him to decide if we can stomach the blood and brains is wrong. Leave us decide if we should or shouldn't. Release them if we want to see it's our right. For those who dont want to believe that the pictures are real then move on! Goverment can do as they please even if it has to do with tampering with a photo or a story. Goverment may not be straight forward but there has to be some truth to
    the stories that get blown up and twisted. Show the blood and brain! We did the
    muzlem buriel and what they wanted
    needed for peace

May 5, 2011 at 8:57 am |
  21. travis

Anyone who thinks the OBL pictures should not released because they're affraid of making muslims and extremists mad are cowards just like they say Osama was. Who cares what they think. If they had one of our people they would drag them through town behind a truck. Bout time for America to toughen up.

May 5, 2011 at 8:57 am |
  22. Mensah K. Anyide-Ocloo

We all know that our Government is constantly taking actions, both at home and abroad, to protect our nation and American citizens. Much of these actions and related information are classified, and I believe the photos of Osama bin Laden are classified just as the identities of members of the Navy Seals that conducted the operation in Pakistan.

For what reason on earth would anyone ask the Government to publish classified information?

May 5, 2011 at 8:56 am |
  23. Wayne

Disbelievers will be disbelievers. I don't care what they are told or what you show them these people will not believe you. Not publishing Bin Ladens picture is the correct decision. What purpose would publishing his picture serve? You still have the segment of the population that just don't believe anything, no matter what is presented to them.

May 5, 2011 at 8:55 am |
  24. jack

He was probally dressed in Pakistani military uniform thats why they won't show us. They would have to stop funneling billions to Pakistan how about taking care of our own people.Bring our troops home and if they still terrorize our country start throwing nukes eventually it will stop. The people of america need our government more than our government needs us I guess.

May 5, 2011 at 8:54 am |
  25. Vic Novotny

I agree with the President's decision to not release the photos of bin Laden's body to the rest of the world. I agree that it would become a recruitment tool for terrorist organizations.

However, I, as a U.S. citizen I would still like to see a photo of a dead bin Laden. Why not have the photos available for view in some locations in every state for U.S. citizens only? It could be set up so that you show a passport or birth certificate (short form OK) and after being screened to insure there are no cameras on your person, you are able to view the photos.

May 5, 2011 at 8:54 am |
  26. Dom Caputo

Obama should show the photos to a limited number of representatives of both parties. That should eliminate doubt of reasonable Americans. We should then put this event behind us a quickly as possible because general publication of the photos will only inflame passions.

Note: Based on what comes out of Ali Velshi's mouth and the fact he has no hair makes him sound and look exactly like the ass that he is. Enough already from this Leftie ideologue.

May 5, 2011 at 8:52 am |
  27. ANGELA S

If people need proof of OBL's death what better one than his own family? I ask just one question, is OBL's family in on the conspiracy as well? His family is mad as hell about something, WHAT? The FACT that we have killed their osama Bin Laden. Why would they be angry about a non- fact, & are you seriously saying they would be in on the conspiracy??? Wake up folks, he's dead!! Stop second guessing the President on this issue. He's the one who has all the facts, not the looky-lous who just have a morbid curiosity for gory details. To you I say WAIT FOR THE MOVIE!!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:51 am |
  28. Darrell

I think it wrong because we need to all know if he dead and the world can be a better place with out him and other who was under him.

May 5, 2011 at 8:50 am |
  29. Claire

I completely support the decision not to release the photos of bin laden. Photos will convince no one in this day and age, and would prove nothing. Think of the numbers of individuals who do not believe we landed a man on the moon, despite all visual evidence to the contrary. The gratuitous showing of such photos will show that the United States is as tasteless as the terrorists we are trying to fight, and would undoubtedly result in increasing violent retaliation. I am proud that we are not showing the photos, made an effort to bury bin laden according to Muslim law, hopefully demonstrating that our conflict is with terrorism, not directed at a specific religion.

May 5, 2011 at 8:48 am |
  30. Jody Schreiber

We need to respect the decision of the President. The decision is his to make. The idle curiousity seekers are just that and after their curiousity is satisfied – then what??? I have been in the Medical Profession for 53 years and believe you me, this would be nothing more than extremely gross and would serve NO Purpose whatsoever!!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:48 am |
  31. Mensah K. Anyide-Ocloo

We all know that the Government is contantly taking actions both at home and abroad to keep our nation safe, and most of the operations and information about these actions are classified. I believe the photos of Osama bin Laden and much of the information about his death are classified.

For what reason on earth must anyone turn to the Government and ask for the publication of classified information?

May 5, 2011 at 8:48 am |
  32. Bobbi Vinton

Under The Freedom of Informatio Act we are entitled to see the pictures. I experienced the John Kennedy Assaination,Robert Kennedy Assainatgion,Marten Luther King Assaination, just to name a few. Classification of infor incourages mistrust . Get our soldiers out of there so we do not have to worry about their safety.. Withhold money to Pakistan until they secure their NUKES to our satisfaction. Thats who we are!!!!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:46 am |
  33. Claire

No! Our children are bombarded with negative brain overload. Showing the pictures is only an advantage to cable news, to fill
    their gut for a day.

May 5, 2011 at 8:46 am |
  34. loosebit

I think this is hysterical. We can't build a mosque where the twin towers were. We don't "allow" our troops to shoot civilians although our drones do. We blame high gas prices on hedge fund managers, but we allow the Federal Reserve to inflate our dollar. How did this all happen? http://goo.gl/BziEF

May 5, 2011 at 8:46 am |
  35. david

i stand by the president. it done and over with let move on.

May 5, 2011 at 8:46 am |
  36. Cindy Herrington

I do not think the world needs to see these pictures, we just need to celebrate that he is gone and no longer a threat, way to go, USA,
    Bin Laden has destroyed families, he got what he deserved.

May 5, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  37. Joyce Stengel

This is another comment! If they (the government,) doesn't show the photo of the dead Bin Laden, many many theories will go around. Here's one: They entered onto Pakistani sovereign territory, killed some people, maybe one was a Bin Laden, but not the right one. How will they explain that to the rest of the world, and Pakistan?? I will not believe that they killed Bin Laden a few days ago, I think he was dead a long time ago. Maybe from our bombs, maybe from natural causes. I will not vote for Obama until he releases photos. I also will never vote Republican again. I won't vote!!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  38. reema

i am not to about osama dead photo

May 5, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  39. DeLong

I agree with the president's decision not to display the photos publicly for all to see. Not only would it incite a riot among Al-queda members, it would also be used for anti-American hate for those extremists. The evidence of DNA used by objective analysts clearly proves this terrorist is dead. Let's not continue the debate by speculating that facts gathered by Americans can somehow be turned into mere fabrications thereby undermining this achievement in history evermore and giving the terrorists another boost of confidence. Gone are the days of manufactured conspiracy theories. We should move forward by accepting that these unfolding events in the journey to kill Osama bin Laden are true due to unquestionable scientific methods used in our own judiciary system. My prayers go out to all family members and Americans affected by terrorist attacks.

May 5, 2011 at 8:43 am |
  40. shermy

All it will take is a FOIA request to bring it out. The only thing preventing a FOIA mandated release would be a government classification. The government can't classify the photo just because it doesn't want it released, so a FOIA request will more than likely be enough to bring it to light.

May 5, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  41. brett

OK THE PRESIDENT SHOULD JUST SHOW THE PHOTOS BECAUSE WE HAVE LOST TOO MANY AMERICANS AND LOVED ONES FOR US NOT TO HAVE THE PROOF THAT WE KILLED THAT STUPIED TERRIOST BIN LADENS

May 5, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  42. Chelsea

By releasing the photos, this country would be going beyond feeling his death is closure for Americans after the September 11th attacks and moving towards a barbaric celebration of the death of another person, albeit a horrible person who never thought twice about taking the life of another. We are not horrible here. We need to accept his death and move on to life after Bin Laden. Releasing the photos won't appease those with serious doubts (especially with programs like Photoshop which make it incredibly easy to alter photos), and it's not right to use these photos as leverage for a political attack on the current administration.

May 5, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  43. Bob

Please stop discussing this question. We would be playing into the hands of our enemy if we release this picture. Our citizens and soldiers would be put in jeopardy for no good reason. Those that are asking for the release of the photo are part of the same group that doesn't believe that our president is a citizen. They don't realize that they are being use by those who are trying to weaken our country.

May 5, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  44. Jim

This is just like the birther issue in some ways. They demanded that Obama show his birth certificate and they would be satisfied. We know how that turned out. Showing OBL's photo would be the same thing. After showing the photo, the conspiracy groups would say it isn't him anyway. Just leave it the way it is. Stop pandering to that group. Haven't we learned yet?

May 5, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  45. Jerry from Ohio

I didn,t put in my comment about that N.V.A. General that he lived beside the "Siagon Embasy" in Vietnam... Sorry for the error.../

May 5, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  46. sam

I totally disagree with the president for not showing the pics.But then again thats our government for us it doesn't matter what the people in the US want. They worry about recruiting tool, let them use them for that if they wanna wind up like the guy in the photo then join the terrorist group. The people of the U.S have lived for the day we caught this guy now no photo for closure whats our government trying to pull now???

May 5, 2011 at 8:39 am |
  47. Paul South Carolina

I think it's time for CNN to stop talking about it. There are far more important things to focus on then this. Enough already!!!!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:39 am |
  48. H. Parker

News Media talking heads, pundits, should ceast second guessing The President, he and his advisors are best qualified to make the final decision to publish or not to publish th Ben Laden death photos.
    In this instance, the public does not have a need to know!

May 5, 2011 at 8:38 am |
  49. Ann Albert

I wish the news media would stop its incessant coverage of this topic. To me, wanting to see these photos is the same base instinct that causes people to 'rubberneck' at a traffic incident. Let's move on.

May 5, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  50. Joey Mahabir

No!!....Please No!! We do not have an obligation to show the pictures. Let's put a stop to wasting our time and $$ to keep Bin laden in the headline news.

May 5, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  51. pat

,,my comments are mine and mine alone..who added the comment above in the first line 'your comment is awaiting moderation'.???????..add your comment separately, don't add it to mine...the pix belong to all of us, not to this president.

May 5, 2011 at 8:36 am |
  52. Catherine Smith

It is a great decision. Even though what Bin Laden would not likely have made thesame decision if the situation were reversed, he deserves respect because he was made in the image of God.

May 5, 2011 at 8:36 am |
  53. brett

I THIN THAT THE PHOTOS OF BIN LADENS DEATH SHOULD BE SHOWED TO THE PUBLIC BECAUSE WE ARE AMERICANS AND I AM ONE TOO AND I DID NOT LOSE ANY LOVES ONE IN 9/11 AND I AM SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DID BLESS THERE HEARTS AND I HOPE THEY STAY STRONG BUT I THINK THAT BIN LADENS DEATH PHOTOS SHOULD BE SHOWED TO THE WORLD BECAUSE THAT WOULD REMIND OTHER COUNTRIES THAT WHAT HE DID WAS WRONG AND I KNOW EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT BUT IT IS WRONG THAT THE GOVERMENT GETS TO SEE BEN LADENS DEATH PHOTOS BUT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WHO ARE FIGHTING AND LOSING LOVES ONE DON'T GET TO SEE THEM President Obama's AND THE OTHER GOVERMENT OFFICALS ARE JUST TRYING TO RUN THE WORLD THE WAY THEY WANT TO AND ITS JUST WRONG WHAT THEY ARE DOING

May 5, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  54. bob graham/highlands ranch, co

It is great that the media is trying to get more and more news. However, some good common sense along with more forethought as to the repercussions of covering certain issues is sorely needed. The extra monies from so called "scoops" can be a precursor to more monies being lost by the entire country if not the entire world.

Every second spent covering terrorist concerns is a win for the terrorists and is exactly what they want and exactly what the world does not need. Try other issues when news seems slow, there are many "Old Issues" such as , "Where did the 12 BILLION dollars disappear to in Iraq".....

Focus focus focus....

May 5, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  55. Tom Thomson

the president is right in not showing pictures this could endanger the life of the navery seal and his family and cause more trouble with the troops its done it s over with the president has done more in his time in office than bush did in his term getting rid of the most wanted man

May 5, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  56. Tony Piazza

I believe the President is making the right decision. He is also in the best position to make the decision

May 5, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  57. Ronnie

The pics wouldn't be an issue if reporters dropped it liked they dropped the coverage of the deadly tornadoes!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  58. Lucy

I do not wish to see Bin Laden's photo. I'm sick of seeing his face when he was alive. I definitely don't want to see him dead. I want no memories of him.

May 5, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  59. Louis A.

I do not hear or see large numbers of people worldwide asking for the release of ObL's death pictures,only news organizations such as CNN.You guys should get over it and get on with more news of our continuing problems

May 5, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  60. James

President Obama has decieded not to release the photos,let it go! I know all the news networks want to be the first to say " we have the photos" and show them, but get over it, What is done is done,move on!

obama

May 5, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  61. Al Calafiore

I think that CNN and other news organization and reporters should stop getting people upset and try to get a contraversy started.
    In this case the peple that made the decision know the facts and understand the consequences.

STOP THIS NONSENSE its' about as ridiculous as the donald and the birth certificate

May 5, 2011 at 8:33 am |
  62. Carly

I personally think that the pictures should be shown.
    What he did changed the world and lives of people forever.
    On 911 the news showed people jumping to thier deaths from the world trade centers, some of them were even on fire.
    They can show the distruction and horror that a osama bin laden had caused to the world on the news but they wont show the distruction and end of the man that caused all.
    I say show them, people can chose for themselfs to see them or not.
    If it will help put peoples mind at rest then do it.

May 5, 2011 at 8:33 am |
  63. Donna

I find it highly suspicious that he is not being treated as any other war criminal. With no body and no pictures, I feel like there is no closure.
    It's just not normal. Something is amiss.

May 5, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  64. Ray

Is our Supreme Court Justice system in place for the federal government or for the people. Since we were unable to take Bin Laden to trial to prove it's him, at the least we should be able to take the photo debate and other with holding evidence to trial to determine if its morally right for the people to see and make their own judgement.
    Saadam and his son's I believe were just as equal to Bin Laden as a National threat and the decision was made to release their photos and conduct a trial. I think this is a decision for Eric Holden, Not the Congress or the White House. Just my opinion. thanks

May 5, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  65. Victor F

...sounds like we have to present the "scalp" to the world-community to prove what happened...crazy....no photos !!. You think UBL lives?...put him on live TV in some undisclosed "cave"....am sure Geraldo wont sign up for this one!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  66. Carol

I strongly agree with the decision not to release the photos. What's the point. Nobody disputes he's dead (his family, the Pakistani government, etc.). People and governments in the Middle East are glad he's dead as well. Stop showing Bin Laden's picture at all. Do you think there is anyone in this world that doesn't know what he looked like? Is CNN trying to idolize or memorialize him and make him a martyr? Also stop showing that lame training video from 15 years ago. It looks even more stupid now. So unless CNN is actively recruiting for the remaining terrorist networks, there's no reason to show that video either. My nephew became a Marine in October of 1999 under Clinton. He's at 4 deployments and counting. Bin Laden is dead – there's no reason to ever mention his name out loud every again.

May 5, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  67. Daniel Orans

Please...why release the pictures.
    Afterall there are still people who do not believe we landed on the moon, pctures not withstanding.
    There are people who still bleieve the holocost never happened, pictures not withstanding.
    So what good would it do to release picturers of Bin Laden,
    it would not convince the non bleievers and might offend the Muslim world.
    The right decision has been made
    Danny

May 5, 2011 at 8:31 am |
  68. Denise

This president has shown time and again that he can and does make the tough decisions. Therefore, if in his judgment, it is best not to release the photos, then end of story and it doesn't matter what the that small faction of the American public wants. Those people wouldn't believe it unless they themselvies had pulled the trigger. Give the presidient his due credit for an incredible decision and successful result and let's move on. Those with such a morbid curiosity will just have to use their imagination. I think they should be sealed and released in 50 years like other highly emotional inciting documents have been done in the past.

May 5, 2011 at 8:31 am |
  69. MARGARET UZELAC

wE AS AMERICAN'S SHOULD NOT SHOW BIN LADENS DEATH PHOTOS! WE STILL HAVE MANY AMERICAN MILITARY IN THE MIDDLE EAST THAT WE WOULD BE PUTING INTO MORE DANGER!! ITS WRONG TO EXPOSE SUCH A DEATH THAT THE MILITARY CARRIED OUT. THE MILITARY'S WORK SHOULD NEVER BE DRUG OUT ALL OVER THE NEWS ! MARGARET UZELAC P.S. HAVE MILITARY SONS AND FAMILY AND FRIENDS. ALL AMERICAN MILITARY SHOULD BE RESPECTED.

May 5, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  70. Michael N. Clay

I helped elect the president and I support THIS decision, he has made other decisions I disagreed with. When it is time to vote again I weigh what he has done well against what he has done poorly and vote accordingly.

May 5, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  71. Jess

There is no need to show the photos, those who do not believe will in time when Bin Laden is never seen or heard from again. As for him being un armed, so were all the victims of 911, some at work, others on flights. Capturing him alive would have put every westener in danger of being kidnapped, tourtured /killed as they would have been used as leverage to have Bin Laden released. Its time to stop questioning everything, be glad justice was done and stop giving this terrioist so much of our time, we are hearing his name as much now as we did after 911

May 5, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  72. Bobby Jacobs

It seems that the prsident does not want to insight anti-American sentiment that is already there in most of the Middle East. I think that a restspectful photo of him being treated with respect at his burial at sea would relieve the question of death and prove too the world we treated him with respect when he did not respect himself or others

May 5, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  73. pat

I am really tired of this president appearing to be more worried about what muslims think and not what the American people may think. We bury this monster according to religious law, and our countrymen often did not even have any remains to bury after 9/11..we are more worried about the muslim street than showing the American people the dead body of a man we have searched for over a decade...investing our treasure and blood to find him..and now, we are not allowed to view a pix...this is outrageous, and no one person should be given the right to censure what our brave men did in Pakistan...

May 5, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  74. Bob C

I see no advantage to the U.S releasing these photos. We don't have to prove anything. Those that do not want to believe will not believe no matter what we do. This way, they are not available to be used to fan the flames of hatred.

May 5, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  75. Matt Nee - Cape Coral, FL

Let me start by saying I have never been a big fan of our current president. With that said, I gained a lot of respect for him, knowing he made the choice NOT to release those photos.

Let the dead rest, regardless of the "who and why" of it all. He is dead, and we are just a little bit safer "for now". I see no reason to put ourselves in a position to be viewed negatively by the rest of the world. We portray ourselves as being a compassionate country that cares about the wants and needs of others, so let's show the world that we are true to who we are and let this fade softly into our historical past and forge ahead proud to call ourselves americans. We got him!

May 5, 2011 at 8:29 am |
  76. mike bartley

WHAT GOES ON IN ABBOTTABAD SHOULD STAY IN ABBOTTABAD. SHUT UP ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. THE MORE WE STIR A POT OF CRAP THE MORE IT STINKS.

May 5, 2011 at 8:28 am |
  77. John

This war has cost thousands of lives, and cost the AMERICAN TAXPAYER billions of dollars and tears,I want my money's worth,I want to see bin laden's head on a stick on the White House lawn if necessary, show the pictures !!

May 5, 2011 at 8:28 am |
  78. S Gilley

The President is right. We do not need to see these pictures. If Bin Laden was not dead he would already have tapes and videos out stating the fact. I believe the pictures would more inflame these people who hate America and what we stand for.

May 5, 2011 at 8:28 am |
  79. J Moore

The decision has been made. Shut up and move on. Stop going over and over and over something that is DONE. Good grief!!

May 5, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  80. vilma

President made right decision.

May 5, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  81. Victor

Whom are we trying to persuade about UBL's death?..the arab world will only buy what they want to buy, regardless of what we release. We could release the entire video watched by Obama live at the White House, and skeptics would remain skeptics. We (americans) know what happened, how he was killed, where and when...thats all that counts....NO PHOTOS !! Obama is right.

May 5, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  82. Doug T.

Why is there no mention of Bin Ladens illnesses, and how he might have been close to death within a few months anyway, and allowed to be martyred? Was there no autopsy? Peculiar.
    How many mining and resource processing companies are now in, or bidding for Afghanastan?

May 5, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  83. Deb Hearn

No we do not need to see pictures of Osama bin Ladin. It will be too graphic and we have enough horror. Get off the whole subject.. I agree with the picture of the little bridesmaid "enough is enough".

May 5, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  84. Kyle

No we should be able to see the pictures this is a free country we live in. It should not be a secret

May 5, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  85. Lee Faulkner

IMO there is no need to pander to the *media's* lust for gratuitously violent content.

Osama is dead. Good. We don't need the modern equivalent of a head on a stake.

The images should remain on record, for evidence and history.

May 5, 2011 at 8:26 am |
  86. Andy

It doesn't matter what the president does, the doubting and opposition will never quit critizing him. All I ask is a firm stand with the president "Osama dead, mission accomplished, no photo release PERIOD"

May 5, 2011 at 8:26 am |
  87. Sandy Macy

What is wrong with the media and people. The White House made a decision about the picture, and it is the right decision. There is no reason to release the graphic picture, other than to insite other terrorists to use it as a training tool. Why do you keep interviewing everyone, just drop the issue and people will not think about it any more.

May 5, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  88. Claudia in NY

We should not release those photos. No matter who he was, and what he did, it is disrespectful of the dead. There is no need for anyone to see these. They would only be foder to the media and extremists who would use them against us.

May 5, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  89. ajks

Thank you, Mr. President!

May 5, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  90. valorie

I thought we lived in a free country, with freedom of the press. We (the general public) have every right to see the same pics as our government has already seen. If necessary block out the ugly part just show enough to prove to all that he is dead. If no one else the family members of victims should know for a fact that OBL is truely dead. Our government has proven to all that we can not always believe what they say.

May 5, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  91. Mike

I agree with the president. No need to get the bad guys excited for nothing. Especially since his family has confirmed his death.

May 5, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  92. Thomas V

A photo wont prove anything...no point. Americans believe he was shot dead, we trust what our Govt is saying and thats all that counts to us. DONT RELEASE !!

May 5, 2011 at 8:21 am |
  93. Jerry from Ohio

As far as Binladen being apprx. 750 yds. from the Pakistan military training compound. They weren,t on continous allert. But during the whole Vietnam war there was a top ranking N.V.A. General living right next door to the US embasy and never detected at all! He even bragged about it on the History Channel! Does that make us stipid or complicid? Absulately not! We were on total allert for enemies all around us everywhere all the time and we missed him!
    I won,t dismiss that there was most likely some that knew Binladen was there. Not everyone in Pakistan likes us or wants us to get him and his pals! I doubt the Pakistan President knew about it. He needs us for the fight against Alquada and our money support. We don,t need to acuse before we ckeck everything out and i know our goverment is doing that as i write this. We will know for sure!! Don,t forget the thousands of Pakistan,s that Alquada killed also!

May 5, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  94. C. Tran

Mr. Obama's decision not to release the photo is a right one. Releasing the photo will not stop the controversy since now a day many photo can be photoshop and anyone can say that the picture is fake. Photo will serve nothing but more controversy. We know we got him. They know we got him. The rest is waiting for history to prove that it is true

May 5, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  95. Jim

I fully support the presidents actions in understaking this very balsy operation. Someone had to do it and quite frankly it,s about time someone did!! Having said that I think the president has made a very serious error in his decision to not show the alleged photo,s of Bin Laden having met his ultimate demise . After all, talk is cheap and a picture is worth a thousand words!!!. My case and point. The pictures we were all forced to watch on 9/11 must be by far more gruesome than anything Bin Laden could have endured. Bin Laden on the other hand knew his day of reconing was soon to come one day. he knew he was being hunted. The victims of 911 were not given that luxury.!! What did we all think was going to happen when he was caught ?? The last observation I would like to share is purely a matter of opinion. I have discussed this with many many people and the concensus is unanimus. When one studies the photo of president Obama , Hilary Clinton , VP Bidon and everyone else who was reportedly watching the operation unfold. Not one person in that photograph appears to be watching something that they were expecting to see. In fact if you really study the facial expressions of everyone at that table they all look like they are watching something go horribly wrong. Show the proof that everything went as you have claimed. People are already living in fear of terror . They were before this happened , the level of that fear will not change by showing the world at large and the terrorists themselves that this in fact is how these type of people can and will be dealt with if all else fails. Like I said. A picture is worth a thousand words. No one seems to be condeming what was done here. What,s the problem???? Why won,t they show the proof of what they claim they did ??? It, s not enough to simply tell the world at large that the DNA was a match and just leave it at that. What ever happened to burden of proof??? If for nothing else , the Whitehouse can at least acknowledge that there is already far too much doubt already cast on this matter. They can simply stand up and say . " we have nothing to hide " here are the photo,s

May 5, 2011 at 8:06 am |
  96. Martha Hall

The President did the right thing in choosing NOT to present the Bin Laden photos !
    Thank you Mr. President

By the Way – May 5th – today – is National Day of Prayer
    I'd like to see someone mention this also !

May 5, 2011 at 8:04 am |
  97. Paula Mattras

President Obama made the right decision based on recommendations made by senior officials from government and military. There is no value in posting incendiary photos at this time although, eventually, I suspect they may be leaked to the press. I believe that Gabby Giffords was shot as described and have seen no photographic evidence of it.

May 5, 2011 at 8:04 am |
  98. jay

I think there should be a government sponsored viewing of the pics of Bin Ladens corpse. No cameras or phones allowed. It would be for people who lost loved ones on 9/11. This way they could have closure without unauthorized access to the pics.

May 5, 2011 at 7:59 am |
  99. Steve Watts

I have no problem with the decision to keep the pictures from the public.It was Pres. Obamas comment yesterday about the U.S. He said THIS IS NOT WHO WE ARE.I remember on Sept.12 2001 the constant parade of pictures of the towers falling, the bodies being pulled out of the reckage and of course the pics of the people who were lost. We mark tyhe anniversery each year by ringing a bell and recite the names of those who wre lost...... THIS IS WHO WE ARE.

May 5, 2011 at 7:58 am |
  100. AmandaStl

Personal I find it extremely selfish of the president to classify these photos. I heard a congresswoman say yesterday that "with all of the evidence at hand, people who do not believe Bin Laden is dead, will never believe". I think that is ridiculous. We are already finding out 3 days after the fact that we were given false information by the government of what actually happened. I understand their reasons and they make sense. However, it is much more important for the president to understand where we, the people are coming from than it is for we the people to understand where the president is coming from. I think that we should have the right to chose whether or not to look at it and we can't TV. I can understand not wanting to make the burial sight a meeting place for terrorists but not showing the photo's isn't the same and for the president to classify them because he doesn't want it to look like a trophy just sounds like BS to me, not wanting terrorists to use it as a shrine to a beloved martyr sounds like BS. The kind of people that would use Bin Ladens death picture as a talisman for terrorism will just find another picture or video of him and I would hope that the president of the United States would be smart enough to have thought of that. I think these are excuses to hide something (I'm not saying that Bin Laden isn't dead but he might have been tortured a while before they killed him or who knows what other reason), I think the American people should have the choice to see it if they want to and I think the fact that it was obviously never really an option the release the photos, it was never really a choice. We should always have a choice in a free country and the people who don't want to see it don't have to look at it but the people who want some kind of real proof that isn't just the word of the government, can't look at it because it's not an option.

May 5, 2011 at 7:57 am |