American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 10th, 2011

Should schools ban chocolate milk?

Child obesity rates are rising and schools across the country are combating the problem by providing healthier school lunches. The latest target on the lunch menu is chocolate milk.

The superintendent of the nation’s second-largest school district in Los Angeles says he is looking to remove both chocolate and strawberry milk from schools. And, other states like Florida have considered statewide bans.

Many nutritionists are divided on the issue. Some say the calcium, vitamin D and protein benefits of flavored milk outweigh the harm of the sugar content. Others argue sugar or not, it's the only milk kids get.

AM asks you, should chocolate milk be banned from school lunches?

Filed under: AM Asks • Health • Parenting
  1. seth

i think milk should be banned from all schools do you're research milk is bad for you!!!!!!! chocolate strawberry or white its bad for you search it up you will see the truth !!!!! help spread the message

May 12, 2011 at 2:34 am |
  2. chris and yaneth

I think you should ban choc n strawberry milk from school lunches because it not healthy !

May 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  3. Sawyer

They would be idiots to ban chocolate milk because it would just make the problem worse. Call me a picky eater, but I would not drink milk at all if it is not chocolate milk.

May 11, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  4. Jordan

Leave the milk alone! Milk is obviously better for kids than soda, and it is a parent's responsibility to decide what their child drinks, not the schools. Instead of deferring their role to the school systems, parents need to just step up and teach their children how to be healthy and manage their own diets.

May 11, 2011 at 7:39 am |
  5. bigkev

I personally believes this goes a little to far, sure child obesity is a problem, but banning food and drinks isn't the way to go, you have to educate the parents and the kids on eating healthy and with moderation. so on to the milk banning personally I don't like White Milk, hate drinking it, if it wasn't for Chocolate or Strawberry flavored Milk I probably would never have drank any Milk at all, It would'n't have made a difference in my diet as I love eating most veggies, If I was given a choice of Milk or Water I would probably choose the Water option, and most likely pick up a soda on the way home from school just to satisfy my sweet tooth.

May 11, 2011 at 3:24 am |
  6. Peter Langelaar

Not all chocolate is egual !
    But avoid the milk in the chocolate.
    I'm drinking a special All-Natural Antioxidant Chocolate that you can mix with water like the old maya's did to get the health benefits.

At this blog you can read more about the bevarage.
    http://bit.ly/iot9w4 or to get to the beginning of this blog http://www.thepowerofchocolate.org
    If you want to know more about obesity and chocolate check this http://www.thepowerofchocolate.nl this is a english media and information site site like also http://www.thepowerofchocolate.eu .

Have also some study's from university's about the health benefits of chocolate.

Iso if you wan to know more contact me.

Peter Langelaar

May 11, 2011 at 2:07 am |
  7. Michelle

OMG, I cannot believe the opposition to this, it boggles my mind. Someone even said, "what would be the alternative, plain milk and/or water?" WTF is wrong with plain milk and water, these are much more nourishing and if we were given no other choice we wouldn't know the difference. Why do we all think our children suffer from so many colds and flus and "bugs" and obesity, etc is so high? It's because their diets are crap, full of overly refined foods full of sugar and fructose, bleached white flour products, the list goes on. If we all fed our children mainly fresh, real foods, ie vegetables and fruit, eggs, real milk (not the low fat, ultra heat treated rubbish), meat, chicken, fish and seafood, imagine how healthy we would be and our children would be robust. If we could reverse the clock to the days of preparing foods in the traditional way we would be a much healthier world.

May 11, 2011 at 1:32 am |
  8. LT

I assume no one here has sat down at the lunch table with his or her child to observe what is being served. I have, and the carton does not simply contain milk, chocolate, and sugar. It is food coloring additives, high fructose corn syrup, and other unnecessary additives. This isn't about losing rights, it's about keeping our children healthy at all costs. What is wrong with bottled water being offered? And with so many milk allergies obesity issues, and neurological disorders showing up in our children, it wouldn't hurt to remove a possible source.

May 11, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  9. slider

Long live the Nanny State. Why should parents have a say in anything concering the raising of their own children.

May 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Meg

Also, milk is white. That's how it should be drank. Some people say its better that kids drink some kind of milk rather than no milk. Should we dip apples in chocolate and stick chocolate chips on them just so kids eat an apple? no

May 10, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
  11. Meg

Ban flavored milk please!!! I teach phys ed and have breakfast and lunch duty everyday. Kids are pouring chocolate milk into their sugary cereals and getting double chocolate milks during breakfast and lunch. White milk has 3 tsp of natural sugar. Flavored milk has an additional 4 tsp. If kids drink 4 of them a day at school, that is 28 tsp of sugar...from only some beverages, not all, nor the food with sugar that they are consuming. If kids do not like white milk, there are 1 of 2 things: their parents did not encourage them to drink milk or make them drink milk growing up or the kids do not like milk and should drink water. We are the only country that drink 400 calories a day!

May 10, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  12. Jessica V.

Hellllllsss yeeeeeee that school milk is sooo disgusting i would rather drink mud then that milk.. it is soo uggghh... FYNR..NGAF!!!!!!!

May 10, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  13. Emone

i personally don't drink chocolate milk but i feel if you take away the one free drink thats not water you may as well make kids drink air.....fYNR..........................

May 10, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  14. Alex

As a student myself, I believe that chocolate milk is an important thing to have in a school lunch program. Every aspect of shcool, including lunches, are an opprotunity to teach kids life lessons. What they're learning from having chocolate milk available at all times, however, is that you can always make the bad choice (I've interviewed kids at my school, and a lot of them do see Chocolate Milk as being bad for them, but they drink it anyway), without reprecussion.

Banning it, however, is not O.K.

I can see that side, however – it might save schools a bit of money when buying foodstuffs for lunches, but not much. Better to keep the milk in – it offers up the illusion of choice, and keeps kids happy. What I do think would be appropriate, would be to charge kids less than the normal price of lunch for picking fat free milk, the regular price for 1 or 2 precent milk, a higher price for chocolate milk, and then an even higher price for strawberry milk (which is even worse). That would force kids to either pony up the extra cash for the good tasting milk (which would lead to schools having more money in their pockets), or settle for the good-for-you milk, and be rewarded with having to pay less.

May 10, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  15. Jean

Not unless, it contains HFCS or artificial sweeteners. Chocolate milk has been in the schools since the 50's. What really should be banned from all foods is HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) artificial sweeteners and chemicals, fast foods, fast food franchises, and vending machine snacks. If the meal is balanced with good ingredients, fresh fruit and fresh vegetables, chocolate milk will not hurt. They should also ban poor cooks from the cafeteria.

May 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  16. whatnext?

yes, ban choc milk, also ban fruit and fish because they are fatty.
    but most importantly, ban/fire all the obese teachers in the school system, nationwide, because I don't want my children learning from fat people, they are bad role models!

May 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  17. LETI

NO BECAUSE THAT WAS ALL I DRANK WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL...SOME PEOPLE DONT LIKE THE TASTE OF REGULAR MILK SO THEY DRINK THE FLAVORED MILK...I PERSONALLY LOVE MILK PERIOD

May 10, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  18. char

Taking choclate milk is not the answer. Obesity starts at home not in our schools either ,like the one comment by[ Rusty ] learn a little about how schools have to follow gov. standards and the guide lines and budgeting. The schools have to have a certain amount of fat ,calories ,protein ...etc..etc.. I work at a school and know first hand how things are. We only feed some of the children 10 meals out of the 21 meals and 7-14 snacks per week that they consume other places.Exercise and learning early what choices are best is the answer.

May 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm |